Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2000
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Sleeper Awakes H. G. Wells (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-9818-8, Sep 2000, $13.95, 302pp, tp) Reprint (Harper 1899 as When the Sleeper Wakes) classic SF novel. This commemorative edition follows Wellss preferred revision (Thomas Nelson 1910) and includes his prefaces to the 1910 and 1921 editions. There is a new introduction by J. Gregory Keyes, and afterword by Gareth Davies-Morris. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 N. 8th Street, Lincoln NE 68588-0484; credit card orders 800-755-1105; website: [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu]; e-mail: [email@example.com.]; add $4.00 postage.
Wheel of the Infinite Martha Wells (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97335-9, Jul 2000, $24.00, 355pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) Fantasy novel. An exiled priestess has to return home to save the world from disintegration.
Wheel of the Infinite Martha Wells (SFBC #11529, Jul 2000, $11.98, 355pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) Reprint (Eos 2000) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Eos edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Moon Speaker K. D. Wentworth (Hawk Publishing 0-9673131-6-3, Aug 2000, $14.95, 281pp, tp) [House of Moons] Reprint (Ballantine 1994) SF novel, first in the House of Moons series. This appears to be a print-on-demand book, available online at www.hawkpub.com, or from Hawk Publishing, 6420 S. Richmond Ave, Tulsa OK 74136-1619; 877-429-5782.
The 10th Kingdom Kathryn Wesley (Kensington/Hallmark Entertainment 1-57566-537-9, Jan 2000, $6.99, 479pp, pb) TV movie novelization, with 16 unpaginated pages of color photos. Introduction by Robert Halmi, Sr. A hardcover edition (-536-0, $22.00) was announced but not seen. Copyrighted by Hallmark Entertainment Books. Wesley is a pen name for Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
Arabian Nights Kathryn Wesley (Kensington/Hallmark Entertainment 1-57566-581-6, Apr 2000, $5.99, 284pp, pb) TV movie novelization, with 16 unpaginated pages of color photos. Introduction by Robert Halmi, Sr. Copyrighted by Hallmark Entertainment Books. Wesley is a pen name for Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
Science Fiction, Childrens Literature, and Popular Culture: Coming of Age in Fantasyland Gary Westfahl (Greenwood Press 0-313-30847-0, May 2000, $59.95, 157pp, hc) Non-fiction collection of 11 critical essays, only one previously published, exploring the appeal of fantasy and SF, in various media, to children and the general public. Among other topics, essays focus specifically on Superman, R.L. Stine, Raymond F. Joness This Island Earth (novel and film), Star Trek, and H.G. Wellss The Time Machine. Includes bibliography and index. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800.
The Sweet and Sour Tongue Leslie What (Wildside Press 1-58715-158-8, Oct 2000, $13.95, 146pp, tp) Collection of 14 stories, four original. This is a print on demand book, available online at www.wildsidepress.com, or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette, NJ 07933.
- 7 · Sweet and Sour Tongue · ss *
- 14 · Uncle Gorby and the Baggage Ghost · ss F&SF Mar 96
- 28 · The Man I Love Is an Elf · ss *
- 36 · Those Who Know · ss The Fortune Teller, ed. Lawrence Schimel & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 48 · How to Feed Your Inner Troll · ss Asimovs Dec 95
- 55 · You Gotta Believe · ss *
- 74 · Smelling of Earth, Dreaming of Sky · ss Asimovs Sep 97
- 79 · Sacred Society · ss Extremes, 2000
- 81 · Nothing Without a Name · ss Talebones Spr, 2000
- 104 · The Emperors New (and Improved) Clothes · ss Twice Upon a Time, ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1999
- 113 · A Dark Fire, Burning from Within · ss Realms of Fantasy Jun 97
- 125 · You Are Who You Eat · ss *
- 130 · Clinging to a Thread · ss F&SF Apr 94
- 140 · The Leap · ss Lilith, 1995
Kubricks 2001: A Triple Allegory Leonard F. Wheat (Scarecrow Press 0-8108-3796-X, Jun 2000, $32.50, 162pp, hc) [Space Odyssey] Nonfiction literary critique of Kubricks movie, a loose adaptation of Arthur C. Clarkes story The Sentinel, and Clarkes novel based on the movie, 2001: A Space Odyssey. Wheat examines the movie as a triple allegory (Odysseus, man-machine symbiosis, and Zarathustra) with different symbols; Clarkes work is used primarily to help clarify obscure aspects of the movie. Includes index and notes. Order from Scarecrow Press, Inc., 15200 NBN Way, PO Box 191, Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214-0191; 800-462-6420; www.scarecrowpress.com; add $4.00 postage. [Stanley Kubrick]
Double Contact James White (Tor 0-812-56860-5, Aug 2000, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by John Berkey) [Sector General] Reprint (Tor 1999) SF novel in the Sector General series.
Gene Roddenberrys Earth: Final Conflict: The First Protector James White (Tor 0-312-87409-X, Feb 2000, $13.95, 315pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Earth: Final Conflict] Novelization, the second based on the TV series. A hardcover edition (-84890-0, $23.95) is also available. Copyrighted 1999 by Tribune Entertainment Company and Alliance Atlantis Communication; copyrighted 2000 by The Norway Corp.
The Fort at Rivers Bend Jack Whyte (Tor 0-812-54418-8, Mar 2000, $6.99, 461pp, pb, cover by Edward Miller) [Camulod Chronicles: Sorcerer] Reprint (Viking Canada 1999?) historical Arthurian novel, fifth book in the overall Camulod Chronicles. First US edition (Viking Canada 199?).
The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis Jack Whyte (Tor/Forge 0-812-54419-6, Jun 2000, $6.99, 494pp, pb, cover by Edward Miller) [Camulod Chronicles: Sorcerer] Reprint (Viking Canada 1997) historical Arthurian novel, second in The Sorcerer subseries, sixth overall in The Camulod Chronicles.
World of Darkness: Malkavian Stewart Wieck (White Wolf 1-56504-819-9, Mar 2000, $5.99, 267pp, tp, cover by John Van Fleet) [World of Darkness: Clan] Novelization of the Clan, based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
World of Darkness: Clan Novel Anthology ed. Stewart Wieck (White Wolf 1-56504-876-8, Nov 2000, $6.50, 288pp, pb) [World of Darkness: Clan] Original anthology of 13 stories based on characters from the Clan Novels based on the Vampire: the Masquerade role-playing game. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
The Casebook of Constance & Charlie, Volume 1 Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins Minotaur 0-312-24501-7, Dec 99, $18.95, 614pp, tp) [Charlie Meiklejohn; Constance Leidl] Associational omnibus of three mysteries featuring Constance Leidl and Charlie Meiklejohn: The Hamlet Trap (1988), Smart House (1989), and Seven Kinds of Death (1992).
- 1 · The Hamlet Trap · n. New York: St. Martins, 1987
- 205 · Smart House · n. New York: St. Martins, 1989
- 413 · Seven Kinds of Death · n. New York: St. Martins, 1992
The Casebook of Constance & Charlie, Volume 2 Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins Minotaur 0-312-25378-8, Feb 2000, $16.95, 598pp, tp) [Charlie Meiklejohn; Constance Leidl] Associational collection/omnibus of mystery fiction featuring Constance Leidl and Charlie Meiklejohn, with three stories and two novels: The Dark Door (1988) and Sweet, Sweet Poison (1991).
- 1 · The Dark Door · n. New York: St. Martins, 1988
- 205 · Sweet, Sweet Poison · n. New York: St. Martins, 1990
- 421 · Torch Song · na A Flush of Shadows, St. Martins, 1995
- 497 · Christs Tears · na EQMM Apr 96
- 557 · An Imperfect Gift · nv EQMM Aug 99
The Deepest Water Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins 0-312-26143-8, Oct 2000, $23.95, 278pp, hc) Associational mystery.
No Defense Kate Wilhelm (St. Martins 0-312-20953-3, Mar 2000, $24.95, 376pp, hc) [Barbara Holloway] Associational courtroom mystery in the Barbara Holloway series.
The Resurrectionists Kim Wilkins (HarperCollins Australia 0-7322-6797-8, Oct 2000, A$27.50, 527pp, tp) Contemporary horror novel. An Australian woman discovers her late grandmother was a psychic in a small Yorkshire village with a dark secret.
Just/in Time Billy Dee Williams & Rob MacGregor (Tor 0-312-87271-2, Jun 2000, $22.95, 317pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Calloway] SF psychic thriller, sequel to PSI/Net. Calloway attempts to use his abilities to travel to the past and prevent the release of a lethal virus.
PSI/Net Billy Dee Williams & Rob MacGregor (Tor 0-812-57092-8, Jun 2000, $6.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Calloway] Reprint (Tor 1999) SF psychic thriller.
The Masques of Amen House Charles Williams (The Mythopoeic Press 1-887726-06-3, 2000, $14.00, 204pp, tp, cover by Nancy-Lou Patterson) Collection of three verse plays about publishing, plus related poems and selections from music for the Masques by Hubert J. Foss. An extensive introduction by Bernadette Lynn Bosky discusses Williams and the masques; editor David Bratman provides annotations and a bibliography. Order from The Mythopoeic Society, PO Box 1363, Minnetonka MN 55345.
- 1 · Introduction · Bernadette Lynn Bosky · in
- 31 · Textual Notes · David Bratman · ms
- · The Masques of Amen House
- 35 · The Masque of the Manuscript · pl, 1927
- 53 · The Masque of Perusal · pl, 1929
- 77 · The Masque of the Termination of Copyright · pl, 1942
- · Amen House Poems
- 115 · An Urbanity · pm, 1927
- 123 · A Century of Poems for Celia · gp
- 131 · Sonnets on The Masque of the Manuscript · gp
- 137 · Amen House Poems · gp
- · Music for the Masques
- 159 · Hubert J. Foss and the Music of the Masques · David Bratman · ar [Hubert J. Foss]
- 165 · The Carol of Amen House · Hubert J. Foss · ms
- 171 · Dialogue of Alexis and Dorinda · Hubert J. Foss · ms
- 178 · Hymn to Mnemosyne · Hubert J. Foss · ms
- 183 · Thyrsis purchases The Book · Hubert J. Foss · ms
- 187 · The Procession of the Graal · Hubert J. Foss · ms
- 191 · Notes · Misc. · ms
- 203 · Bibliography · Misc. · ms
Petronella Jay Williams (Moon Mountain Publishing 0-9677929-1-6, Dec 2000, $15.95, 32pp, hc, cover by Margaret Organ-Kean) Reprint (Parents 1973) childrens picture book version of the fairy tale about a strong princess, with new illustrations by Margaret Organ-Kean. Order from Moon Mountain Publishing, 80 Peachtree Road, North Kingstown RI 02852; e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org]; website [www.moonmountainpub.com].
Captain Blackman John A. Williams (Coffee House Press 1-56689-096-9, Mar 2000, $15.95, 264 + ix, tp) Reprint (Doubleday 1972) fantasy time-travel novel. A wounded soldier in Vietnam travels back in time, reliving each US war as an African American soldier. There is a new introduction by Alexs Pate. Order from Coffee House Press, 27 N. 4th St., Suite 400, Minneapolis MN 55401; credit card orders 612-338-0125; add $3.00 postage.
Evergence: The Dying Light Sean Williams & Shane Dix (Ace 0-441-00742-2, Jul 2000, $6.99, 420pp, pb, cover by Bob Warner) [Evergence] SF space adventure novel, book two in the series.
The Dragonbone Chair Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-384-9, Sep 2000, $7.99, 783pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1988) fantasy novel, first volume of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. 19th printing.
Otherland: City of Golden Shadow Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-763-1, Sep 2000, $7.99, 780pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Otherland] Reprint (DAW 1996) near-future SF novel of virtual-reality intrigue. Seventh printing.
Otherland: Mountain of Black Glass Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-906-5, Sep 2000, $7.99, 749pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Otherland] Reprint (DAW 1999) near-future SF/virtual-reality fantasy novel, third in the series.
Otherland: River of Blue Fire Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-844-1, Sep 2000, $7.99, 675pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Otherland] Reissue (DAW 1998) near-future SF novel, second in the series about intrigue in fantasy virtual reality. Second printing.
Stone of Farewell Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-480-2, Sep 2000, $7.99, 749pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1990) fantasy novel, second volume of Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. 18th printing.
Tailchasers Song Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-953-7, Dec 2000, $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Braldt Bralds) Reissue (DAW 1985) feline fantasy novel. This is a 15th anniversary edition, with a new introduction by the author and new ISBN, and indicates first printing.
To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-598-1, Sep 2000, $7.99, 815pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1993) fantasy novel, first half of the third book in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Eighth printing.
To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-606-6, Sep 2000, $7.99, 815pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1993) fantasy novel, second half of the third book in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Fifth printing.
To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 Tad Williams (DAW 0-88677-606-6, Oct 2000, $7.99, 815pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] Reissue (DAW 1993) fantasy novel, second half of the third book in Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Sixth printing.
Stairs to the Roof Tennessee Williams (New Directions 0-8112-1435-4, May 2000, $11.95, 101pp, tp) Stage play with SF/fantasy elements, a comedy about a clerk in 2001 who stages a one-man rebellion against the monotony of his job. Edited and with an introduction by Allean Hale.
The Rift Walter J. Williams (HarperPrism 0-06-105794-0, Apr 2000, $6.99, 932pp, pb) Reprint (HarperPrism 1999) SF thriller of a massive quake in the mid-US. The author also writes as Walter Jon Williams.
Frights of Fancy J. N. Williamson (Leisure 0-8439-4728-4, Jun 2000, $5.50, 361pp, pb) Collection of 16 horror stories, three original. Introduction by Ed Gorman. The author discusses writing short fiction in general in his prelude, and the writing of each story in separate introductions.
- 11 · Introduction · Ed Gorman · in
- 13 · Authors Prelude · pr *
- 19 · Reality Function · nv Monsters in Our Midst, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1993
- 59 · When Nature Itself Creates Them · ss *
- 74 · Public Places · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine: Issue One, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1988
- 94 · Watchwolf · ss Footsteps #8 87
- 102 · The Sudd · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 5, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 123 · Mercy · vi 2AM Spr 88
- 128 · The Mother Pact · ss After Hours Win 95
- 164 · Small Gift from Home · ss Whispers Dec 84
- 173 · Origin of a Species · nv Vampire Detectives, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 204 · Child of the Sea · nv Pulphouse #17 94
- 235 · Everyone Must Know... · ss Dead of Night Jul 89
- 246 · The House of Life · nv Nukes, ed. John Maclay, Maclay, 1986
- 275 · A. Pyme · nv *
- 299 · Pick-Up · ss *
- 314 · It Does Not Come Alone · nv Terminal Frights Volume One, ed. Ken Abner, Black River, NY: Terminal Fright Press, 1997
- 354 · The Field of Blood · vi Pirate Writings Fll 94
The Blue Spot and Entropy Reversed Jack Williamson (Gryphon Books 1-58250-026-6, May 2000, $20.00, 172pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) Omnibus publication of two SF short novel/novellas, in first book publication for both. The introduction by Philip Harbottle discusses the stories history. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
- 3 · The Cosmic Romances of Jack Williamson · Philip Harbottle · in
- 15 · The Blue Spot · na Astounding Jan 37 (+1)
- 92 · Entropy Reversed [Released Entropy] · na Astounding Aug 37 (+1)
The Collected Stories of Jack Williamson, Volume Three: Wizards Isle Jack Williamson (Haffner Press 1-893887-08-1, Sep 2000, $35.00, 540pp, hc, cover by Margaret Brundage) Collection of 16 stories,in chronological order, plus a story preface and a novelty feature by Williamson. There is a foreword by Ray Bradbury, and an afterword by Williamson. A signed, slipcased, limited edition of 100 (-09-X, $125.00) is also available. This is designed to match Williamsons 1950s titles from Fantasy Press. Haffner Press, 5005 Crooks Rd, Suite 35, Royal Oak MI 48073-1239; add $5.00 postage. email: [email@example.com]; web [www.rust.net/haffner/]
- xv · Jack Williamson, Friend! · Ray Bradbury · in
- 1 · The Electron Flame · nv Wonder Stories Quarterly Fll 32
- 29 · The Wand of Doom · nv Weird Tales Oct 32
- 65 · In the Scarlet Star · nv Amazing Mar 33
- 89 · Salvage in Space · nv Astounding Mar 33
- 113 · We Aint Beggars · ss New Mexico Quarterly Review Aug 33
- 123 · The Plutonian Terror · nv Weird Tales Oct 33
- 147 · Dead Star Station · nv Astounding Nov 33
- 169 · Terror Out of Time · nv Astounding Dec 33
- 191 · The Flame from Mars · ss Astounding Jan 34
- 209 · Invaders of the Ice World · nv Weird Tales Jan 34
- 233 · Born of the Sun · nv Astounding Mar 34
- 273 · Xandulu · na Wonder Stories Mar 34 (+2)
- 351 · Wizards Isle · nv Weird Tales Jun 34
- 391 · The Galactic Circle · na Astounding Aug 35
- 443 · Islands of the Sun · na Astounding Sep 35 (+1)
- 501 · Grey Arms of Death · nv Thrilling Mystery Dec 35
- 529 · Afterword · aw
- 535 · Appendix
- 536 · Cigarette Characterizations · R. F. Starzl, Donald Wandrei, Frank Belknap Long, P. Schuyler Miller, Jack Williamson & Arthur J. Burks · ms Fantasy Magazine Jul 34
- 538 · Preface from Invaders of the Ice World · is
Darker Than You Think Jack Williamson (SFBC #00128, Jun 2000, $11.98, 267pp, hc, cover by Rick Berry) Reprint (Fantasy Press 1948) werewolf novel. This follows the 1999 Orb edition, with the 1984 illustrations by David G. Klein, and a new introduction by Douglas E. Winter; this SFBC edition has ISBN 0-7394-1050-4.
Cooking in Oz: Kitchen Wizardry from Americas Favorite Fairy Tale Elaine Willingham & Steve Cox (Cumberland House 1-58182-051-8, Nov 99, $16.95, 237pp, tp) [Oz] Associational cookbook, full of photos and Oz memorabilia and interesting facts. Recipes were provided primarily by Baum family members and by people associated with various stage and film productions. Foreword by movie Munchkin Margaret Pellegrini. Includes recipe index and Oz Index. Available from Cumberland House, 431 Harding Industrial Park Drive, Nashville TN 37211; orders: 888-439-2665.
Hideous Progeny ed. Brian Willis (RazorBlade Press 0-9531468-3-9, Mar 2000, $12.00, 293 + ix, tp, cover by Chris Nurse) [Frankenstein] Original anthology of 19 stories speculating on what our world might have been like if Mary Shelleys Frankenstein had been history, not fiction. Authors include Peter Crowther, James Lovegrove, and Steve Rasnic Tem. Introduction by Kim Newman. This was originally published in the UK, but not previously listed; it is available in the US from Firebird Distributing, 2030 First Street, Unit 5, Eureka CA 95501; 800-353-3575.
Dark: Stories of Madness, Murder and the Supernatural ed. Clint Willis (Thunders Mouth/Adrenaline 1-56025-277-4, Sep 2000, $16.95, 381pp, tp) Anthology of 21 horror stories (six excerpts) by authors including Rudyard Kipling, Shirley Jackson, Iain Banks, and Edgar Allan Poe. Adrenaline is an imprint of Balliett & Fitzgerald, co-publishers with Thunders Mouth.
- ix · Introduction · Clint Willis · in
- 1 · Smee [as by Ex-Private X] · A. M. Burrage · ss Nashs Pall Mall Magazine Dec 29
- 15 · from Asylum · Patrick McGrath · ex Viking UK, 1996
- 23 · They · Rudyard Kipling · nv Scribners Aug 04
- 47 · from The Haunting of Hill House · Shirley Jackson · ex New York: Viking, 1959
- 69 · from The Wasp Factory · Iain Banks · ex Macmillan UK, 1984
- 79 · Home Burial · Robert Frost · pm
- 85 · Seatons Aunt · Walter de la Mare · nv The London Mercury Apr 22
- 119 · The Monkeys Paw · W. W. Jacobs · ss Harpers Monthly Sep 02
- 133 · from Tell My Horse · Zora Neale Hurston · ex, 1938
- 151 · A Distant Episode · Paul Bowles · ss The Partisan Review Jan-Feb 47
- 167 · from My Idea of Fun · Will Self · ex Grove/Atlantic, 1993
- 179 · The Cicerones · Robert Aickman · ss Travellers By Night, ed. August Derleth, Arkham, 1967
- 193 · from Communion: A True Story · Whitley Strieber · ex, 1987
- 207 · The Yellow Wallpaper · Charlotte Perkins Stetson · ss New England Magazine Jan, 1892
- 227 · from The Shining · Stephen King · ex Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1977
- 239 · The Cask of Amontillado [Fortunato] · Edgar Allan Poe · ss Godeys Ladys Book Nov, 1846
- 249 · A Good Man Is Hard to Find · Flannery OConnor · ss The Avon Book of Modern Writing, ed. William Phillips & Philip Rahv, Avon, 1953
- 267 · The Beckoning Fair One · Oliver Onions · na Widdershins, Secker, 1911
- 337 · They · Blue Balliett · ss Nantucket Hauntings, Down East Books, 1990
- 345 · The Crown Derby Plate · Marjorie Bowen · ss The Last Bouquet, John Lane, 1933
- 359 · The Cafeteria · Isaac Bashevis Singer · ss, 1982