Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Shadows Bite Stephen Dedman (Tor 0-312-87783-8, Dec 2001, $25.95, 334pp, hc) [Magistrale] Martial-arts dark fantasy novel, sequel to The Art of Arrow Cutting. Mage Magistrale faces vampires and a dead mobsters daughter bent on revenge.
Springwar Tom Deitz (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57647-X, Jan 2001, $6.50, 563pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Eron] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 2000) fantasy novel, sequel to Bloodwinter.
Summerblood Tom Deitz (Bantam Spectra 0-553-38070-2, Apr 2001, $13.95, 323pp, tp, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Eron] Fantasy novel, third in the series begun in Bloodwinter, set in the realm of Eron. New High King Avall faces unrest and a secret group of priests.
Dhalgren Samuel R. Delany (Random House/Vintage 0-375-70668-2, May 2001, $18.00, 801pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam 1975) classic SF novel. This has the foreword by William Gibson from the 1996 Wesleyan University Press edition.
Burial Plot in Sagittarius Sandy DeLuca (Thievin Kitty Publications, Jan 2001, $5.00, 52pp, ph, cover by Sandy DeLuca) Collection of 26 poems, eight reprints. Illustrated by the author. Order from Thievin Kitty Publications, PO Box 341, Marion MA 02738; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.capedcod.net/theivinkitty/].
- 3 · Sandra Deluca and the Dark Side of the Heart · Mark McLaughlin · in *
- 5 · Burial Plot in Sagittarius · pm *
- 9 · When Recess Came · pm *
- 10 · Uncle Nick · pm *
- 12 · The Romeo Girl · pm *
- 13 · Sarah · pm *
- 15 · Descent · pm *
- 16 · Stairs · pm *
- 18 · One Sunday · pm *
- 21 · The Streetlights on Thayer · pm *
- 23 · Escape from Miami · pm *
- 25 · Naughty Boys · pm *
- 26 · Carnival · pm *
- 27 · Mommys Little Gitl · pm *
- 28 · In the Eighties · pm *
- 30 · My Best Friends · pm *
- 32 · Through the Mirror · pm Frisson, 2000
- 33 · Keepsake · pm Twisted Devotion, 1999
- 34 · Ladies of the Night · pm Purple Mist, 1999
- 35 · Another Nights Deed · pm The Edge, Tales of Suspense #4 99
- 37 · Apartment on Broad Street · pm *
- 38 · Three Women · pm Perimeter, 1998
- 41 · Blood Roses · pm Perimeter
- 43 · Hands · pm Edgar: Digested Verse, 1999
- 45 · My Neighbor · pm *
- 47 · Dance · pm *
- 49 · Face in the Glass · pm *
- 50 · He Is a Mystery · pm The Romance Page, 1998
- 52 · Sun in Sagittarius · pm *
Something Wicked: A Tapestry of Darkness ed. Sandy DeLuca (Goddess of the Bay Publications, Jan 2001, no price, 69pp, ph, cover by Carol Weekes) Chapbook original anthology of nine stories and four poems of dark fantasy. Authors include Trey R. Barker, Steve Savile, and Gerard Daniel Houarner. Order from Goddess of the Bay Publications, PO Box 8214, Warwick RI 02888.
The Astrologer: Heart of Stone Denny DeMartino (Ace 0-441-00807-0, Feb 2001, $6.50, 299pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Astrologer] SF novel, first in new series. Demartino is a pen name for Denise Vitola.
The Astrologer: Wayward Moon Denny DeMartino (Ace 0-441-00830-5, Jul 2001, $6.50, 309pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Astrologer] SF mystery, second in the series about a far-future forensic astrologist. DeMartino is a pen name for Denise Vitola.
Barry Sadlers Casca: The Defiant Paul Dengelegi (Jove 0-515-12954-2, Nov 2001, $5.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Paul Robinson) [Casca] Military fantasy series based on the Eternal Mercenary created by Barry Sadler. Copyrighted by the Dengelegi-Eastaboga.
Forgotten Realms: The Siege Troy Denning (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1905-1, Dec 2001, $6.99, 343pp, pb, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Book two of Return of the Archwizards. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: The Summoning Troy Denning (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1801-2, Mar 2001, $6.99, 341pp, pb) [Forgotten Realms: Return of the Archwizards] Novelization based on the role-playing game. Book one of Return of the Archwizards. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Star by Star Troy Denning (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-42848-X, Oct 2001, $26.00, 606pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Star by Star Troy Denning (SFBC #05181, Nov 2001, $14.99, 606pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Reprint (Del Rey LucasBooks 2001) Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions ed. August Derleth (Arkham House 0-87054-040-8, Jan 2001, $25.95, 450+xiii, hc, cover by Tony Patrick) Reissue (Arkham House 1989) collection/anthology of stories H.P. Lovecrafted either collaborated on or revised; this is revised and corrected from the 1944 Arkham House edition, with notes by S.T. Joshi and foreword by August Derleth. Fifth printing.
The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions ed. August Derleth (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0964-2, Jan 2002, $12.00, 212pp, tp) Reprint (Arkham House 1944) collection of 10 Lovecraftian stories, two collaborations with Lovecraft, the rest by other authors, though the cover credits Lovecraft as the sole author; the title page credits Lovecraft and Others. Derleth is mentioned only on the copyright page. This has the same text as the 1970 Beagle Boxer edition, which reprinted half of the 1944 Arkham House collection.
Twilight of the Celebrities Mark Devane (AmErica House 1-893162-52-4, Jan 2001, $24.95, 298pp, tp) Near-future SF thriller of a new species of men able to predict the future. Order online from America House Book Publishers at [www.publishamerica.com].
Moonlight Susan Dexter (Wildside Press 1-58715-318-1, Jan 2001, $12.95, 128pp, tp) Young-adult fantasy novel. A wizards apprentice keeps getting into trouble until a talking cat takes him in hand. This is an on-demand book, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045.
Strange Trades Paul Di Filippo (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-05-3, Oct 2001, $24.95, 343pp, hc, cover by Frank Kelly Freas) Collection of 11 stories about work, with introductions to each by the author, plus a final, apparently original, short-short story not listed in the table of contents. Overall introduction by Bruce Sterling. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- ix · Introduction · Bruce Sterling · in
- 3 · Kid Charlemagne · ss Amazing Sep 87
- 23 · Spondulix · nv Science Fiction Age Sep 95
- 72 · Conspiracy of Noise · nv F&SF Nov 87
- 98 · Agents · nv F&SF Apr 87
- 125 · Harlem Nova · nv Amazing Sep 90
- 155 · Karuna, Inc. · ss Fantastic Stories of the Imagination #21, 2001
- 224 · SUITs · ss Amazing Aug 93
- 234 · Skintwister · ss F&SF Mar 86
- 254 · Fleshflowers · ss Back Brain Recluse #16 90
- 274 · The Mill · na Amazing Oct 91
- 335 · The Boredom Factory · ss The Edge v2 #1 95; Fantasy Trilogy, gp
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens (Tor 0-812-50434-8, Dec 2000, $2.99, 166pp, pb) [Christmas Carol] Reissue (Chapman & Hall 1843) classic Christmas ghost story, with a biography of Dickens, foreword, and afterword by Jane Yolen. Eighth printing.
A Christmas Carol and Other Stories Charles Dickens (Random House/Modern Library 0-375-75888-7, Dec 2001, $7.95, 339 + xxii, tp) Reprint (1852 as part of Christmas Books) omnibus of three Christmas ghost novels: A Christmas Carol (1843 as A Christmas Carol in Prose: Being a Ghost Story of Christmas),The Chimes (1844 as The Chimes: A Goblin Story of Some Bells That Ran an Old Year Out and a New Year In), and The Haunted Man (1848 as The Haunted Mand and the Ghosts Bargain: A Fancy for Christmas Time). This includes a 1995 introduction and biographical note. Introduction by John Irving.
Hero Wars: The Complete Griselda Oliver Dickinson (Issaries 1-929052-11-1, Aug 2001, $17.95, 219pp, tp, cover by Heather Bruton) [Griselda] Collection of 28 stories set in the world of Glorantha, setting of the Hero Wars role-playing games. All but seven of the stories were previously collected in The Collected Griselda (Reaching Moon Megacorp 1993); four of the remaining stories are originals. Order from Wizards Attic, 900 Murmansk St., Suite 7, Oakland CA 94607; [www.wizards-attic.com]; 800-213-1493.
- 4 · Oliver and Me · Greg Stafford · fw
- 6 · Introduction · in
- 10 · Map of the City of New Pavis · Misc. · il
- 12 · Points of View · ss Tradetalk, 2001
- 17 · Lucky Eddi · ss White Dwarf #29 82
- 21 · Grisdelda gets her Men · ss White Dwarf #30 82
- 26 · Shamus gets a Case · ss White Dwarf #42 83
- 32 · A Tasty Morsel · ss White Dwarf #41 83
- 37 · All in the Family · ss White Dwarf #51 84
- 44 · The Great Chart Caper · ss Pavis, Chaosium, 1983
- 50 · Hanufas Little Sister · ss White Dwarf #43 83
- 54 · Down Among the Dead Men · ss Different Worlds #43 86
- 59 · Good Advice · vi Different Worlds #87 87
- 61 · Wolfheads Story · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #2 89
- 64 · Carving up Carver · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #6 91
- 72 · Devils Play · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #8 92
- 80 · Bad Example · ss Different Worlds #44 86
- 84 · Holding the Baby · ss Green Slime #1 88
- 89 · This Love Business · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #5 91
- 95 · Serious Money · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #3 90
- 106 · Worlds Apart · ss Convulsion 92 Programme Book, 1992
- 113 · Red Hot · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #9 93
- 124 · Happy Anniversary · ss The Collected Griselda, Reaching Moon Megacorp, 1993
- 130 · First Class Protection · ss Peoples of Pavis, 1996
- 138 · The Hero Bit · ss Tales of the Reaching Moon #7 92
- 144 · The Matchmaker · ss Peoples of Pavis, 1996
- 154 · Griselda the Hero?? · vi The Collected Griselda, Reaching Moon Megacorp, 1993
- 155 · The Trouble with Nephews · ss *
- 165 · Map of the Big Rubble · Misc. · il
- 170 · Interfering Uncles Have Their Uses · Michael OBrien · vi *
- 172 · Different Shades of Red · ss *
- 184 · Respect · ss *
- 195 · The Cradlesnatchers · ss *
- 214 · Griselda: A Brief Biography · bg The Collected Griselda, Reaching Moon Megacorp, 1993
- 215 · A Griselda Songbook [Griselda: The Songs] · sg Convulsion 92 Programme Book, 1992
- 219 · Griselda: A Brief Bibliography · bi
- 220 · Oliver Dickinson: A Brief Biography · Misc. · bg
The Ropemaker Peter Dickinson (Random House/Delacorte 0-385-72921-9, Nov 2001, $15.95, 375pp, hc, cover by Eric Dinyer) [Ropemaker] Young-adult fantasy novel about a protected Valley that needs its magic renewed. First US edition (Macmillan Childrens Books 9/01).
The Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent Gordon R. Dickson (SFBC #34082, Jan 2001, $13.50, 400pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Dragon Knight] Reprint (Tor 2000) fantasy novel in the Dragon Knight series. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-56272-0, Sep 2001, $7.99, 534pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Dragon Knight] Reprint (Tor 2000) fantasy novel in the Dragon Knight series.
DeathDay William C. Dietz (Ace 0-441-00857-7, Sep 2001, $22.95, 355pp, hc, cover by Edwin Herder) [Jack Manning] SF novel, first in a series. Jack Manning works for the aliens who have conquered Earth, but develops sympathy for the growing human resistance.
DeathDay William C. Dietz (SFBC #02878, Nov 2001, $10.99, 355pp, hc, cover by Edwin Herder) [Jack Manning] Reprint (Ace 2001) SF novel. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Blood Waltz Ria Dimitra (iUniverse.com/Writers Club Press 0-595-12563-8, 2000, $11.95, 172pp, tp) Vampire novel/gothic romance. A woman travels to England to meet long-lost relations and finds dark secrets. This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [www.iuniverse.com], or from iUniverse.com, 5220 S 16th, Suite 200, Lincoln NE 68512.
A Journey to Distant Mountains Jill Dobson (University of Queensland Press 0-7022-3227-0, Oct 2001, A$17.95, 477pp, tp, cover by Peter Evans) Young-adult fantasy novel. A princess wants adventure and finds portents of chaos. University of Queensland Press, Box 6042, Queensland 4067 Australia; [www.uqp.up.edu.au]; distributed in the US by International Specialized Book Services, 5824 NE Hassalo St., Portland OR 97213-3640.
The Complete Idiots Guide to Publishing Science Fiction Cory Doctorow & Karl Schroeder (Macmillan USA/Alpha Books 0-02-863918-9, Jan 2001, $16.95, 360pp, tp) Non-fiction guide for writers and would-be publishers.
Area 51: The Grail Robert Doherty (Dell 0-440-23495-6, Feb 2001, $5.99, 328pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Area 51] SF X-Files-type thriller, fifth in the Area 51 series. The Holy Grail of Arthurian legends turns out to be a powerful alien artifact. Doherty is a pen name for Bob Mayer.
Psychic Warrior: Project Aura Robert Doherty (Dell 0-440-23626-6, Aug 2001, $5.99, 311pp, pb) [Psychic Warrior] SF thriller, second in a series about a top-secret military team of psychic soldiers. An ancient psychic cabal called the Priory has infiltrated the Psychic Warriors as part of a plan to gain world domination. Doherty is a pen name for Bob Mayer.
Angel: The Summoned Cameron Dokey (Pocket Pulse 0-7434-0700-8, Dec 2001, $5.99, 294pp, pb) [Angel] Young-adult novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
The Man Who Fought Alone Stephen R. Donaldson (Tor/Forge 0-765-30202-0, Nov 2001, $27.95, 463pp, hc) [Mick Axbrewder] Associational mystery, in the Man Who series originally published as by Reed Stephens.
Atlantis: Devils Sea Greg Donegan (Berkley 0-425-17859-5, Feb 2001, $6.99, 310pp, pb, cover by Craig White & Peter Lott) [Atlantis] Science fiction novel, third in the Atlantis series about aliens in the Bermuda Triangle. Donegan is a pen name for Bob Mayer.
The Independent Command James Doohan & S. M. Stirling (Baen 0-671-31851-9, Dec 2001, $7.99, 407pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Flight Engineer] Reprint (Baen 2000) military SF novel, volume three of The Flight Engineer series created by Star Treks Scotty. Packaged and copyrighted by Bill Fawcett and Associates.
Strange Mistresses: Tales of Wonder & Romance James Dorr (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-22-7, Nov 2001, $12.95, 198pp, tp, cover by A. B. Word) Collection of 14 stories, two original, and 13 poems. Introduction by Marge Simon. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 1558, Brentwood CA 94513; [Isedmorey1@aol.com]; [http://darkregions.hypermart.net/].
- 7 · Introduction · Marge Simon · in
- 13 · When Cats Are Away · ss Haunts #22 91
- 23 · The Sending · ss AHMM Dec 97
- 41 · Poludnitsa · ss Short Story Digest Win 91
- 48 · Vanitas · ss AHMM Jan 96
- 67 · Bitter Perfume · ss Figment #12 92
- 75 · The Candle Room · ss Terminal Fright Sum 95
- 89 · Dust · ss *
- 98 · The Labyrinth · ss TomorrowSF Mar 97
- 115 · Nixies · ss Dark Regions & Horror #11 99
- 129 · The Calm · ss New Mythos Legends, ed. Bruce Gehweiler, Marietta Publishing, 1999
- 137 · The Rivermans Daughter · ss *
- 150 · The Snow Wraith · ss After Hours Spr 94
- 160 · The Wellmasters Daughter · ss AHMM Nov 91
- 170 · Victorians · ss Gothic Ghosts, ed. Wendy Webb & Charles L. Grant, Tor, 1997
- 183 · Leaves · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Aut 97
- 184 · Frankensteins Mistress [Frankenstein] · pm *
- 185 · The Instrument Maker · pm Towers of Darkness, Nocturnal Publications, 1990
- 186 · The Birdcatchers · pm The Tome Sum 92
- 187 · The White Worm · pm Once Upon a Midnight, ed. Jame A. Riley, Michael N. Langford & Thomas E. Fuller, Unnameable Press, 1995
- 189 · Titanomachy · pm Star*Line May/Jun 92
- 190 · The Flight of Yuan from the Phoenix Tower · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Jul 89
- 191 · There Is a Comfort · pm Dead Lines May 95
- 192 · Medusas Daughter · pm Star*Line v20 #3 97
- 194 · Night Child · pm TomorrowSF Feb 98
- 196 · Kiki in the Museum of Lifes Pain · pm TomorrowSF Feb 98
- 197 · La Méduse · pm Asylums and Labyrinths, 1997
- 198 · The Esthete · pm TomorrowSF Feb 98
A Paradigm of Earth Candas Jane Dorsey (Tor 0-312-87796-X, Oct 2001, $26.95, 366pp, hc) Near-future SF novel. A grieving woman tries to help a childlike alien with amazing PSI powers learn about the Earth.
Cat in a Kiwi Con Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-812-58425-2, Apr 2001, $6.99, 418pp, pb, cover by Roger Loveless) [Midnight Louie] Reprint (Forge 2000) associational mystery, #12 in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
Cat in a Leopard Spot Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-85370-X, Apr 2001, $24.95, 380pp, hc, cover by Roger Loveless) [Midnight Louie] Associational mystery, #13 in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
Chapel Noir Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-85493-5, Oct 2001, $25.95, 492pp, hc, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Irene Adler] Associational mystery in the Irene Adler series of Holmesian pastiches.
The Veil of Years L. Warren Douglas (Baen 0-671-31997-3, Jul 2001, $22.00, 336pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Sorceresss Tale] Fantasy novel, sequel to The Sacred Pool, second volume in The Sorceresss Tale. Apprentice mage Pierrette, in medieval Provence, has to search the past to stop history from fading from the books.
Enchanter Sara Douglass (Tor 0-312-87582-7, Oct 2001, $27.95, 511pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Wayfarer Redemption; Axis Trilogy] Fantasy novel, second in The Wayfarer Redemption. First US edition (HarperCollins Australia 1996).
Enchanter Sara Douglass (SFBC #10652, Nov 2001, $13.99, 511pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Wayfarer Redemption; Axis Trilogy] Reprint (HarperCollins Australia 1996) fantasy novel, second in The Wayfarer Redemption. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Wayfarer Redemption Sara Douglass (Tor 0-312-87717-X, Mar 2001, $24.95, 444pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Wayfarer Redemption; Axis Trilogy] Fantasy novel, first in a six book series by the same title, originally published in Australia as two trilogies. Conflict between a lands races and religions must end if an evil invader is to be stopped. First US edition (HarperCollins Australia 1995 as Battleaxe: Book One of the Axis Trilogy).
The Wayfarer Redemption Sara Douglass (SFBC #36253, May 2001, $12.50, 444pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Wayfarer Redemption; Axis Trilogy] Reprint (HarperCollins Australia 1995 as Battleaxe: Book One of the Axis Trilogy) fantasy novel, first in a six book series by the same title, originally published in Australia as two trilogies. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Wayfarer Redemption Sara Douglass (Tor 0-765-34130-1, Sep 2001, $6.99, 629pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Wayfarer Redemption; Axis Trilogy] Reprint (HarperCollins Australia 1995 as BattleAxe: Book One of the Axis Trilogy) fantasy novel, first in a six book series by the same title, originally published in Australia as two trilogies.
The Poison Belt Arthur Conan Doyle (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-6634-0, Oct 2001, $11.95, 93 + xvi, tp, cover by R. W. Boeche) [Prof. Challenger] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1913) novella of Professor Challenger. Introduction by Katya Reimann. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 North 8th St, Lincoln NE 68588-0484; credit card orders 800-755-1105; [email@example.com]; [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu]; add $4.00 postage.