! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Bending the Landscape: Science Fiction ed. Nicola Griffith & Stephen Pagel (Overlook Press/Tusk 0-879-51732-8, Nov 2001, $16.95, 375pp, tp, cover by J. K. Potter) Reissue (Overlook Press 1998) anthology of 21 SF stories about gays and lesbians. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing.
Forgotten Realms: Black Wolf Dave Gross (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1901-9, Nov 2001, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Terese Nielsen) [Forgotten Realms: Sembia] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, fourth in the Sembia series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Consider Her Ways Frederick Philip Grove (Bakka Books 1-895837-22-7, Jun 2001, $15.95, 214pp, tp) Reprint (? 1947) SF novel. A scientist makes telepathic contact with an ant and learns the history of her colony. Foreword by Robert J. Sawyer, afterword by John Rose. This is the third volume in the Bakka Collection of SF.
StarCraft #1: Libertys Crusade Jeff Grubb (Pocket 0-671-04148-7, Feb 2001, $6.50, 256pp, pb, cover by Justin Thavirat) [StarCraft] Novelization set in the universe of the SF computer game. Copyrighted by Blizzard Entertainment.
The Science of Science-Fiction Writing James Gunn (Scarecrow Press 1-57886-011-3, Nov 2000, $14.95, 232pp, tp) Non-fiction guide to the SF field and how to write SF.
Dark Dreamers: Facing the Masters of Fear Beth Gwinn & Stanley Wiater (CD Publications 1-58767-024-0, May 2001, $40.00, 223pp, hc, cover by Beth Gwinn) Photo book, with portraits of over 100 horror writers, artists, and filmmakers, with brief comments by each, and short lists of recommended reading/viewing. Photos by Gwinn, text by Wiater. Foreword by Clive Barker. A signed limited edition of 250 ($75.00) and a signed, leather-bound, lettered edition ($300.00) were announced but not seen.
Meditations on Middle-Earth ed. Karen Haber (St. Martins 0-312-27536-6, Nov 2001, $24.95, 235pp, hc, cover by John Howe) [Middle-Earth] Non-fiction anthology of essays by fantasy authors exploring how J.R.R. Tolkiens The Lord of the Rings has influenced them. Preface by Haber; introduction by George R.R. Martin. Authors include Poul Anderson, Terry Pratchett, Orson Scott Card, and Ursula K. Le Guin. Illustrated by John Howe. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Altar Stone Robert Hackman (Goodfellow Press 1-891761-14-5, 2001, $22.00, 339pp, hc, cover by Barbara Levine) Horror novel. An archeological expedition encounters the legendary black jaguar in the Amazon jungle. Order from Goodfellow Press, 8522 10th Ave. NW, Seattle WA 98117; 206-881-7699.
Among the Imposters Margaret Peterson Haddix (Simon & Schuster 0-689-83904-9, Jun 2001, $16.00, 172pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Shadow Children] Young-adult SF novel, sequel to Among the Hidden. Illegal third child Luke attends a mysterious boarding school under a false identity.
Belshazzar H. Rider Haggard (Wildside Press 1-58715-423-4, 2001, $19.50, 285pp, tp) Reprint (Stanley Paul 1930) historical novel with fantasy elements, of ancient Babylon and Egypt. This is an on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
The Ivory Child H. Rider Haggard (Wildside Press 1-58715-432-3, 2001, $19.95, 377pp, tp) [Allan Quatermain] Reprint (Cassell 1916) adventure novel, 12th in the Allan Quatermain series. This is an on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
Nada the Lily H. Rider Haggard (Wildside Press 1-58715-473-0, 2001, $19.95, 344pp, tp) [Zulu Nation] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1892) adventure novel, first in the Zulu Nation series. This is an on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
She H. Rider Haggard (Penguin Classics 0-14-043763-0, 2001, $9.00, 325 + xxxiii, tp, cover by Franz von Stuck) [She] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1887) classic fantasy adventure novel, first in the She tetralogy. Edited with new introduction and notes by Patrick Brantlinger.
She and Allan H. Rider Haggard (Wildside Press 1-58715-422-6, 2001, $19.50, 392pp, tp) [She; Allan Quatermain] Reprint (Longmans, Green 1921) fantasy novel, third in the She series and 15th in the Allan Quatermain series. A print-on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045.
The Worlds Desire H. Rider Haggard & Andrew Lang (Wildside Press 1-58715-354-8, 2001, $19.50, 317pp, tp) Reprint (Longmans, Green 1891) fantasy novel of the ancient Mediterranean. A print-on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045.
The Classic Era of American Pulp Magazines Peter Haining (Chicago Review Press 1-55652-389-0, Apr 2001, $39.95, 224pp, hc) Non-fiction, an illustrated look at the pulps including numerous UK publications. First US edition (Prion Books 2000, not seen). Chicago Review Press, 814 N. Franklin St., Chicago IL 60610.
The Coming Joe Haldeman (SFBC #33536, Dec 2000, $10.98, 217pp, hc, cover by Danilo Ducak) Reprint (Ace 2000) near-future SF novel. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Coming Joe Haldeman (Ace 0-441-00876-3, Nov 2001, $6.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) Reprint (Ace 2000) near-future SF novel.
2084: The Year of the Liberal David L. Hale (Elderberry Press 0-965840-73-5, Dec 2000, $24.95, 260pp, hc) Satirical SF novel, a conservative take-off on Orwells 1984. John Winston of the Ministry of Truth is disillusioned with the liberal-totalitarian government of Fairland, ruled by Big Mama, a portly black Hispanic lesbian. Available from Elderberry Press, 1393 Old Homestead Rd, Suite 1200, Oakland OR 97462-9506.
Pilgrims and Pioneers: A History of the Speeches of the Science Fiction Research Association Award Winners. ed. Hal W. Hall & Daryl F. Mallett (SFRA Press 0-913960-35-7, Jul 2001, $20.00, 290pp, tp) Non-fiction, a history of the Pilgrim and Pioneer awards, with sections on each winner including biographical notes, selected bibliographies, plus the presentation and acceptance speeches from the awards ceremonies. This is the first volume in the SFRA Studies in Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror series. A hardcover edition (-28-4, $30.00) may be special ordered. Available from the Science Fiction Research Association, Dave Mead, SFRA Treasurer, Texas A&M, Corpus Christi TX 87412; email [firstname.lastname@example.org]; add $2.50 shipping.
Children of the Grove Robert Halmo (1stBooks 0-75962-317-1, Jul 2001, $11.95, 262pp, tp) [Lords of Darkness, Lords of Light] Fantasy novel, book one of Lords of Darkness, Lords of Light. Only two Great Stewards and the children of a Grove-guardian remain to defend Elder Earth from the reforming Ancient Enemy. This is a print-on-demand edition available online from [www.1stbooks.com], or 1stBooks Library, 2511 West 3rd St., Suite #1, Boomington IN 47404; credit card orders 800-839-8640.
Die Upon a Kiss Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-10924-3, Jun 2001, $23.95, 333pp, hc, cover by Royce M. Becker) [Benjamin January] Associational historical mystery, the fifth featuring Benjamin January, a free Creole in antebellum New Orleans.
Sold Down the River Barbara Hambly (Bantam 0-553-57529-5, Jun 2001, $5.99, 409pp, pb, cover by Royce M. Becker) [Benjamin January] Reprint (Bantam 2000) associational historical mystery, the fourth featuring Benjamin January, a free Creole in antebellum New Orleans.
Bloody Bones Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00374-5, May 2001, $6.99, 370pp, pb) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1996) dark fantasy mystery, the fifth featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. 12th printing.
Blue Moon Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00574-8, Aug 2001, $6.99, 418pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1998) dark fantasy detective novel, eighth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. Eighth printing.
Burnt Offerings Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00524-1, Jul 2001, $6.99, 392pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Reprint (Ace 1998) dark fantasy detective novel, seventh in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. Seventh printing.
Circus of the Damned Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00197-1, Mar 2001, $6.99, 329pp, pb) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1995) dark fantasy novel, third in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. 12th printing.
Guilty Pleasures Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-30483-4, Jan 2001, $6.99, 266pp, pb) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1993) dark fantasy novel, first in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. 15th printing.
The Killing Dance Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00452-0, Jun 2001, $6.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1997) dark fantasy detective novel, sixth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. 12th printing.
The Laughing Corpse Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00091-6, Feb 2001, $6.99, 293pp, pb, cover by Steve Gardner) [Anita Blake] Reissue (NEL 1994) dark fantasy novel, second in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. 11th printing.
The Lunatic Cafe Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-441-00293-5, Apr 2001, $6.99, 369pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Reissue (Ace 1996) dark fantasy/romance novel, fourth in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. 11th printing.
Narcissus in Chains Laurell K. Hamilton (Ace 0-425-18168-5, Oct 2001, $22.95, 424pp, hc, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Dark fantasy detective novel, tenth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter.
Narcissus in Chains Laurell K. Hamilton (SFBC #39372, Nov 2001, $11.99, 486pp, hc, cover by Craig White) [Anita Blake] Reprint (Ace 2001) dark fantasy detective novel, tenth in the series featuring Anita Blake, vampire hunter. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A George Orwell Chronology J. R. Hammond (St. Martins/Palgrave 0-333-76033-6, Nov 2000, $55.00, 122pp, hc) Non-fiction, a chronology and overview of Orwells life and work. This is the UK edition, published in 2000 but not seen until now. [George Orwell]
The Beasts of Brahm Mark Hansom (Midnight House 0-9707349-2-1, Oct 2001, $40.00, 201pp, hc, cover by Allen Koszowski) Reprint (Wright & Brown 1937) supernatural thriller/horror novel. Order from Midnight House, 4128 Woodland Park Ave. N, Seattle WA 98103; [www.darksidepress.com].
Hardyware: The Art of David A. Hardy David A. Hardy & Chris Morgan (Sterling Publishing/Paper Tiger 1-85585-917-3, Sep 2001, $29.95, 128pp, hc, cover by David A. Hardy) Art book, with art by Hardy and text by Chris Morgan. Foreword by Stephen Baxter. This is the UK Paper Tiger edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing, 387 Park Avenue South, New York NY 10016-8810; [www.sterlingpub.com]; 800-805-5489.
Sister of Earth Jim Harkonen (1stBooks 0-75963-043-7, Nov 2001, $15.50, 347pp, tp) SF novel. An ex-con sent to the colonies on Venus gets involved with spies and rebels. A first novel. This is a print-on-demand edition available online from [www.1stbooks.com], or 1stBooks Library, 2511 West 3rd St., Suite #1, Boomington IN 47404; credit card orders 800-839-8640.
The Gate of Fire Thomas Harlan (Tor 0-812-59010-4, Jun 2001, $7.99, 718pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Oath of Empire] Reprint (Tor 2000) Alternate-history fantasy novel of war between Rome and Persia, book two in The Oath of Empire.
The Storm of Heaven Thomas Harlan (Tor 0-312-86559-7, Jun 2001, $27.95, 558pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Oath of Empire] Historical fantasy novel, book three of Oath of Empire.
Dreamer Steven Harper (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45843-5, Sep 2001, $5.99, 360pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Silent Empire] SF novel of the Silent Empire. Disguised monks visit an enemy planet in search of a teen whose unusually strong Silent powers are upsetting the otherworld called the Dream. Harper is a pseudonym.
Silver Moons, Black Steel Tara K. Harper (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40635-4, Nov 2001, $6.99, 434pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Wolfwalker] SF novel, sixth in the Wolfwalker series about a healer caught in conflict with aliens.
Dead Until Dark Charlaine Harris (Ace 0-441-00853-4, May 2001, $5.99, 259pp, pb, cover by Lisa Desimini) [Sookie Stackhouse] Humorous Southern gothic vampire mystery novel set in a contemporary world where vampires are legal. A telepathic waitress in a small town meets a man she cant read a vampire suspected of murder.
50 in 50 Harry Harrison (Tor 0-312-87789-7, Jun 2001, $29.95, 623pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) Collection of 50 stories, a retrospective celebration of Harrisons 50 years as an SF writer. Harrison provides an overall introduction and comments on some of his favorite themes.
- 11 · The First Fifty Years · in
- · ALIEN SHORES
- 23 · The Streets of Ashkelon · ss New Worlds Sep 62
- 36 · Rescue Operation · ss Analog Dec 64
- 49 · The Repairman · ss Galaxy Feb 58
- 61 · Pressure · ss Analog Aug 69
- 76 · Welcoming Committee [as by Felix Boyd] · ss Fantastic Universe Oct 57
- 81 · Heavy Duty [as by Hank Dempsey] · ss Analog May 70
- · MAKE ROOM! MAKE ROOM!
- 99 · A Criminal Act · ss Analog Jan 67
- 111 · Roommates · nv The Ruins of Earth, ed. Thomas M. Disch, Putnam, 1971
- 131 · The Pliable Animal · nv The Saint Mystery Magazine (UK) Sep 62
- 151 · After the Storm · ss The Planets, ed. Byron Preiss, Bantam, 1985
- · MIRACULOUS INVENTIONS
- 167 · Down to Earth · nv Amazing Nov 63
- 184 · Final Encounter · nv Galaxy Apr 64
- 202 · Speed of the Cheetah, Roar of the Lion · ss F&SF Mar 75
- 205 · The Greatest Car in the World · ss New Worlds Oct 66
- 214 · Rock Diver · ss Worlds Beyond Feb 51
- 223 · Toy Shop · ss Analog Apr 62
- 228 · I Always Do What Teddy Says · ss EQMM Jun 65
- 236 · From Fanaticism, Or for Reward · ss Analog Mar 69
- 246 · I See You · nv New Worlds May 59
- · LAUGHI THOUGHT I WOULD CRY
- 267 · The Greening of the Green · ss Anticipations, ed. Christopher Priest, Scribners, 1978
- 282 · The Day After the End of the World · ss After the Fall, ed. Robert Sheckley, Ace, 1980
- 293 · The Man from P.I.G. · nv Analog Jul 67
- 327 · Space Rats of the CCC · nv Final Stage, ed. Edward L. Ferman & Barry N. Malzberg, Charterhouse, 1974
- 338 · Captain Honario Harpplayer, R.N. · ss F&SF Mar 63
- · OTHER WORLDS
- 349 · Simulated Trainer [Trainee for Mars] · ss Fantastic Universe Jun 58
- 362 · Survival Planet · ss F&SF Aug 61
- 374 · How the Old World Died · ss Galaxy Oct 64
- 378 · The K-Factor · nv Analog Dec 60
- · R.U.R.
- 401 · Arm of the Law · ss Fantastic Universe Aug 58
- 415 · The Robot Who Wanted to Know · ss Fantastic Universe Mar 58
- 421 · I Have My Vigil · vi F&SF Feb 68
- 424 · The Velvet Glove · ss Fantastic Universe Nov 56
- · ONE FOR THE SHRINKS
- 443 · Not Me, Not Amos Cabot! · ss Science-Fantasy #68 64
- 450 · The Gods Themselves Throw Incense · ss Impulse Mar 66
- 463 · You Men of Violence · ss Galaxy Apr 67
- 472 · A Civil Service Servant [The Fairly Civil Servant] · ss Galaxy Dec 67
- 480 · Captain Bedlam · ss Science Fiction Adventures Dec 57
- · THE LIGHT FANTASTIC
- 491 · At Last, the True Story of Frankenstein [Frankenstein] · ss Science-Fantasy #76 65
- 496 · Incident in the IND · ss F&SF Mar 64
- · SQUARE PEGS IN ROUND HOLES
- 505 · Portrait of the Artist · ss F&SF Nov 64
- 513 · Mute Milton · ss Amazing Feb 66
- 520 · An Artists Life [as by Felix Boyd] · ss Rocket Stories Sep 53
- 534 · The Ever-Branching Tree · ss Science Against Man, ed. Anthony Cheetham, Avon, 1970
- 543 · By the Falls · ss If Jan 70
- 550 · American Dead · ss The Year 2000, ed. Harry Harrison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1970
- 563 · Dawn of the Endless Night · ss The Ultimate Dinosaur, ed. Byron Preiss & Robert Silverberg, Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 576 · An Honest Days Work · nv New Writings in SF. 22, ed. Kenneth Bulmer, London: Sidgwick & Jackson, 1973
- 584 · If [Praiseworthy Saur] · ss If Feb 69
- 590 · Brave Newer World · nv Four Futures, ed. Robert Silverberg, Hawthorn, 1971
- 621 · The Road to the Year 3000 · ss
Bill the Galactic Hero Harry Harrison (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-2376-3, Jul 2001, $12.00, ix + 185pp, tp, cover by Steve Fastner & Rich Larsen) [Bill the Galactic Hero] Reprint (Doubleday 1965) humorous SF novel. There is a new introduction by the author.
Return to Eden Harry Harrison (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-2374-7, Jun 2001, $16.00, xiii + 349pp, tp, cover by Karen Carr) [Eden] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1988) prehistoric/alternate history SF novel, third in the West of Eden trilogy.
Stars & Stripes in Peril Harry Harrison (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40936-1, Oct 2001, $6.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Tom Freeman) [Stars and Stripes] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2000) SF alternate-history novel, second in the Stars and Stripes series.
Call Down the Stars Sue Harrison (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-380-97372-3, Dec 2001, $26.00, 446pp, hc, cover by Michael Evans) [Storyteller] Associational prehistoric novel, third in the Storyteller trilogy.
A View from the Year 3000 by Arturo Kukeni Michael H. Hart (Poseidon Press 0-9671077-0-9, Sep 99, $30.00, 430pp, hc) Collection of factual and fictional non-fiction biographical essays, a sequel to Harts non-fiction The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History, this covers the 100 most influential people as seen in 3000 A.D. by Harts fictional descendant Arturo Kukeni, including the founder of the first colony on the moon and the inventors of brain replacement surgery, reversible sex-change operations, and convenient weight control. A trade paperback edition (-1-7, $20.00) was announced but not seen. This is dated 1999, but was not seen until now. Poseidon Press, PO Box 4804, Crofton MD 21114.
Gumshoe Gorilla Keith Hartman (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-24-X, Sep 2001, $16.00, 382pp, tp, cover by Stephen Daniele) [Gumshoe] SF/fantasy mystery, sequel to The Gumshoe, the Witch, and the Virtual Corpse. Order online at [www.meishamerlin.com], or from Meisha Merlin Publishing, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031.
Years Best SF 6 ed. David G. Hartwell (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-102055-9, Jun 2001, $7.50, xii + 500pp, pb) Years Best anthology of 27 stories from 2000, all strictly SF (no fantasy). Hartwell discusses the year in his introduction.
- ix · Introduction · David G. Hartwell · in
- 1 · Reef · Paul J. McAuley · nv Skylife, ed. Gregory Benford & George Zebrowski, Harcourt, 2000
- 35 · Reality Check · David Brin · vi Nature Mar 16, 2000
- 39 · The Millennium Express · Robert Silverberg · ss Playboy Jan, 2000
- 61 · Patient Zero · Tananarive Due · ss F&SF Aug, 2000
- 81 · The Oort Crowd · Ken MacLeod · vi Nature Jul 13, 2000
- 85 · The Thing About Benny · M. Shayne Bell · ss Vanishing Acts, ed. Ellen Datlow, Tor, 2000
- 95 · The Last Supper · Brian Stableford · ss Science Fiction Age Mar, 2000
- 113 · Tuberculosis Bacteria Join UN · Joan Slonczewski · vi Nature Jun 29, 2000
- 117 · Our Mortal Span · Howard Waldrop · ss Black Heart, Ivory Bones, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Avon, 2000
- 130 · Different Kinds of Darkness [Blit] · David Langford · ss F&SF Jan, 2000
- 143 · New Ice Age, or Just Cold Feet? · Norman Spinrad · vi Nature Jun 8, 2000
- 147 · The Devotee · Stephen Dedman · nv Eidolon #29/30, 2000
- 189 · The Marriage of Sky and Sea · Chris Beckett · ss Interzone Mar, 2000
- 210 · In the Days of the Comet · John M. Ford · vi Nature Jun 22, 2000
- 214 · The Birthday of the World · Ursula K. Le Guin · nv F&SF Jun, 2000
- 248 · Oracle · Greg Egan · na Asimovs Jul, 2000
- 303 · To Cuddle Amy · Nancy Kress · vi Asimovs Aug, 2000
- 308 · Steppenpferd · Brian W. Aldiss · ss F&SF Feb, 2000
- 322 · Sheena 5 [Manifold; Sheena (2)] · Stephen Baxter · ss Analog May, 2000
- 343 · The Fire Eggs · Darrell Schweitzer · ss Interzone Mar, 2000
- 358 · The New Horla · Robert Sheckley · ss F&SF Jul, 2000
- 372 · Madame Bovary, Cest Moi · Dan Simmons · vi Nature Sep 14, 2000
- 377 · Grandmas Jumpman · Robert Reed · ss Century #6, 2000
- 398 · Bordeaux Mixture · Charles Dexter Ward · vi Nature Mar 23, 2000
- 402 · The Dryads Wedding · Robert Charles Wilson · nv Star Colonies, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2000
- 427 · Built Upon the Sands of Time · Michael F. Flynn · ss Analog Jul/Aug, 2000
- 445 · Seventy-two Letters · Ted Chiang · na Vanishing Acts, ed. Ellen Datlow, Tor, 2000