Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Seekers Mask P. C. Hodgell (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-34-7, Apr 2001, $18.00, 523pp, tp, cover by Kevin Murphy) [Kencyrath] Reprint (Hypatia 1994) dark Fantasy novel. This has a new introduction by Charles de Lint.
Seekers Mask P. C. Hodgell (SFBC $37762, Jul 2001, $12.98, 523pp, hc, cover by Robert Gould) [Kencyrath] Reprint (Hypatia 1994) dark Fantasy novel. This has the introduction by Charles de Lint from the 2001 Meisha Merlin edition, and is the same internally; it has ISBN 0-7394-1887-4, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number pasted on the back jacket.
The House on the Borderland William Hope Hodgson (Coppens & Frenks 90-76917-01-9, Jan 2001, $24.95, 176pp, hc) Reissue (Chapman Hall 1908) classic SF horror novel, with a new introduction by Brian Stableford. This is a limited edition, available from Coppens & Frenks online at [www.coppensfrenks.nl]; e-mail [firstname.lastname@example.org]; or write Coppens & Frenks, Alexanderkade 122, 1018 ZC Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The Recluse Timothy Hodor (Monte Verita 3-900434-66-2, Dec 2000, $9.95, 86pp, tp, cover by Erika Giovanna Klien) Surreal novella of an alienated individual tormented by an inhuman society. This is dated 2000, but not seen until now. Published by Verlag Monte Verita, p.a. PS-Personal Systems OEG, Schoenbrunnerstrasse 91/Eingang Spengergasse, 1050 Vienna, Austria; e-mail [email@example.com]; available in the US from Left Bank Books, 92 Pike Street, Seattle WA 98101; [www.leftbankbooks.com].
The Sands of Time Michael Hoeye (Terfle Books 0-9675111-2-7, Sep 2001, $12.95, 300pp, tp, cover by Dale Champlin) [Hermux Tantamoq] Young-adult talking-animal fantasy mystery novel in the Hermux Tantamoq series, sequel to Time Stops for No Mouse. Mouse-watchmaker Hermux joins a search for the lost tomb of the legendary King of the Cats.
Time Stops for No Mouse Michael Hoeye (Terfle Books 0-9675111-1-9, Sep 2000, $12.95, 279pp, tp) [Hermux Tantamoq] Young-adult fantasy mystery novel featuring talking mouse Hermux Tantamoq, first in a series. Originally appeared in 2000, but not seen until now; this is the second printing.
Aquamarine Alice Hoffman (Scholastic 0-439-09863-7, May 2001, $16.95, 105pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novella. Two girls try to help a mermaid stranded in a swimming pool by a storm.
The River King Alice Hoffman (Berkley Signature 0-425-17967-2, Jul 2001, $14.00, 344pp, tp, cover by Maggie Taylor) Reprint (Putnam 2000) mainstream novel with fantasy elements, including ghosts, set in a weird Massachusetts prep school.
Judas Eyes Barry Hoffman (Gauntlet Press/Edge Books 1-887368-45-0, May 2001, $24.95, 406 + vi, hc, cover by Harry O. Morris) [Shara Farris] Vigilante crime/horror novel with supernatural elements, third in the Eyes series after Hungry Eyes and Eyes of Prey. Bounty hunter Shara Farris trails a serial killer too similar to herself. Afterword by Jack Ketchum. Order from Gauntlet Press, 309 Powell Rd., Springfield PA 19064; 610-328-5476; website [www.gauntletpress.com].
Past the Size of Dreaming Nina Kiriki Hoffman (Ace 0-441-00802-X, Mar 2001, $21.95, 342pp, hc, cover by Tim Barrall) [Matt Black; Tasha Dane; Terry Dane] Fantasy novel featuring Matt Black, sequel to Red Heart of Memories.
Smoking Mirror Blues Ernest Hogan (Wordcraft of Oregon 1-877655-37-6, Sep 2001, $12.00, 210pp, tp) Science fiction novel. The Aztec trickster god is recreated through bio nanochips, and runs amok in near-future Hollywood. Order from Wordcraft of Oregon, PO Box 3235, La Grande OR 97850; [www.oregontrail.net/wordcraft].
The Legend that was Earth James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-31840-3, Oct 2001, $7.99, 503pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) Reprint (Baen 2000) SF novel of too-helpful aliens.
Martian Knightlife James P. Hogan (Baen 0-671-31844-6, Oct 2001, $22.00, 278pp, hc, cover by Clyde Caldwell) SF novel of a future lone-wolf private investigator called the Knight.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: The Book of Fours Nancy Holder (Pocket 0-7434-1240-0, Apr 2001, $22.95, 337pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: The Book of Fours Nancy Holder (SFBC #36191, Apr 2001, $11.50, 285pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Reprint (Pocket 2001) novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Unseen 2: Door to Alternity Nancy Holder & Jeff Mariotte (Pocket 0-7434-1894-8, Jul 2001, $6.99, 301pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; Angel: Unseen] Novelization, second in a crossover trilogy based on the TV shows. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Unseen: Long Way Home Nancy Holder & Jeff Mariotte (Pocket 0-7434-1895-6, Sep 2001, $6.99, 288pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; Angel: Unseen] Novelization, third in a crossover trilogy based on the TV shows. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: Unseen: The Burning Nancy Holder & Jeff Mariotte (Pocket 0-7434-1893-X, May 2001, $6.99, 274pp, pb) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; Angel: Unseen] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Gate of Ivory, Gate of Horn Robert Holdstock (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45857-5, Nov 2001, $6.99, 327pp, pb, cover by Ron Walotsky) [Mythago] Reprint (Roc 1997) fantasy novel in the Mythago cycle.
The Angel and the Sword Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-312-86889-8, Nov 2001, $14.95, 304pp, tp, cover by Greg Call) Reprint (Forge 2000) fantasy novel set in ninth-century medieval Europe.
Lily Nevada Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-312-87416-2, Jul 2001, $12.95, 224pp, tp, cover by Paul Wright) [Railroad Schemes] Reprint (Forge 1999) associational historical novel, sequel to Railroad Schemes.
An Ordinary Woman Cecelia Holland (Tor/Forge 0-312-87417-0, Apr 2001, $13.95, 223pp, tp, cover by Albert Bierstadt) Reprint (Forge 1999) associational non-fiction biography of Nancy Kelsey, the first American woman in California.
Murcheston: The Wolfs Tale David Holland (Tor 0-812-57928-3, Feb 2001, $6.99, 376pp, pb, cover by David Bowers) Reprint (Forge 2000) Victorian werewolf novel.
The Complete War of the Worlds: Mars Invasion of Earth from H.G. Wells to Orson Welles ed. Brian Holmsten & Alex Lubertozzi (Sourcebooks 1-57071-714-1, Apr 2001, $45.00, 202pp, hc) Anthology of H.G. Wellss novel (Heinemann 1898), plus the radio broadcast script, letters, interviews, and the musical. Foreword by Ray Bradbury, and afterword by Ben Bova. This comes with two audio CDs. Sourcebooks, 1935 Brookdale Road, Suite 139, Naperville IL 60563; 630-961-3900; [www.sourcebooks.com]. [H. G. Wells]
The Odyssey Homer (Tor/Forge 0-312-86669-0, Nov 2001, $25.95, 432pp, hc) Associational non-fiction. Homers classic newly translated by R.L. Eickhoff, who also does retellings of Celtic myth as Randy Lee Eickhoff.
The Imaginative World of C.S. Lewis: A Way to Participate in Reality Mineko Honda (University Press of America 0-7618-1604-6, 2000, $52.50, 178 + xv, hc) Non-fiction, a critical examination of Lewiss views of reality with God as the absolute Real, touching peripherally on his fantasy and SF. Includes index and bibliography. This is dated 2000, but not seen until now; a trade paperback edition (-1605-4, $29.50) was announced but not seen. University Press of America, 4720 Boston Way, Lanham MD 20706. [C. S. Lewis]
Shades: 01: Shadow Dance Robert Hood (Hodder Headline Australia 0-7336-1296-2, Jun 2001, A$14.95, 161pp, tp) [Shades] Young-adult horror novel, first in a series about ghostly youngsters called Shades. Nathan Maple can travel via shadows, and must avoid light.
Shades: 02: Night Beast Robert Hood (Hodder Headline Australia 0-7336-1297-0, Jul 2001, A$14.95, 147pp, tp) [Shades] Young-adult horror novel, second in the series. Cassandra discovers her shadow world is infecting the living world.
Shades: 03: Ancient Light Robert Hood (Hodder Headline Australia 0-7336-1298-9, Aug 2001, A$14.95, 153pp, tp) [Shades] Young-adult horror novel, third in the series about ghostly kids called Shades. A human friend of the Shades believes a Shadow creature is attacking her town.
Salt Water Tears Brian A. Hopkins (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-21-9, Nov 2001, $12.95, 176pp, tp, cover by A. B. Word) Collection of 10 stories, two original, all containing water in some form. Introduction by Gary A. Braunbeck. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 1558, Brentwood CA 94513; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [http://darkregions.hypermart.net/].
- 7 · Ashes, The Rain, Brian Hopkins, and I · Gary A. Braunbeck · in *
- 17 · North · ss *
- 29 · The Promised Hour · nv Pulp Eternity Magazine, 1998
- 67 · Crocodile Gods · ss Brainbox: The Real Horror, ed. Steve Eller, Irrational Press, 2000
- 87 · Wisteria · ss Twilight Showcase, 1999
- 97 · Flotsam · ss Flesh Wounds, 1999
- 99 · The Baited Night · nv Terminal Fright Fll 95
- 129 · Sand King · ss *
- 139 · Wind and Sea and Time · ss Wrinkles at Twilight, 2000
- 143 · Wrinkles at Twilight · nv Wrinkles at Twilight, 2000
- 173 · Gramps Goes Fishing · ss Flesh & Blood v1 #4 99
- 178 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
Skin Folk Nalo Hopkinson (Warner Aspect 0-446-67803-1, Dec 2001, $12.95, 255pp, tp, cover by Mark Harrison) Collection of 15 stories, five original. A mix of SF and fantasy, many based on Caribbean folklore.
- 1 · Riding the Red · ss Black Swan, White Raven, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Avon, 1997
- 7 · Money Tree · ss Tesseracts 6, ed. Robert J. Sawyer & Carolyn Clink, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1997
- 23 · Something to Hitch Meat To · nv *
- 45 · Snake · ss *
- 63 · Under Glass · ss *
- 83 · Glass Bottle Trick · ss Whispers from the Cotton Tree Root, ed. Nalo Hopkinson, Invisible Cities Press, 2000
- 103 · Slow Cold Chick · ss Northern Frights 5, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1999
- 119 · Fisherman · nv *
- 147 · Tan-Tan and Dry Bone · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Spr/Sum 99
- 167 · Greedy Choke Puppy · ss Dark Matter, ed. Sheree R. Thomas, Warner Aspect, 2000
- 183 · A Habit of Waste · ss Fireweed #53 96
- 203 · And the Lillies-Them A-Blow · ss *
- 217 · Whose Upward Flight I Love · ss Dark Planet (webzine), 2000
- 221 · Ganger (Ball Lightning) · ss Dark Matter, ed. Sheree R. Thomas, Warner Aspect, 2000
- 247 · Precious · ss Silver Birch, Blood Moon, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Avon, 1999
Dinosaur Wars Thomas P. Hopp (iUniverse.com/Authors Choice Press 0-595-14644-9, Apr 2001, $19.95, 407pp, tp) SF novel. Intelligent dinosaurs from space return to reclaim their homeworld Earth. This is dated 2000, but not seen until now. A first novel. This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [www.iuniverse.com], or from iUniverse.com, 620 North 48th St., Suite 201, Lincoln NE 68504-3467.
The Devil and His Boy Anthony Horowitz (Penguin/Puffin 0-698-11913-4, Sep 2001, $5.99, 182pp, tp, cover by Michael Chesworth) Reprint (Walker Books UK 1998) young-adult historical novel of Elizabethan England, with elements of fantasy. We apparently missed the hardcover first US edition (Philomel 2000).
The Willows at Christmas William Horwood (St. Martins/Dunne 0-312-28386-5, Nov 2001, $21.95, 245pp, hc, cover by Patrick Benson) [Wind in the Willows] Animal fantasy novel; fourth sequel by Horwood to The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, illustrated by Patrick Benson. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1999, not seen).
The Beast That Was Max Gerard Daniel Houarner (Leisure 0-8439-4881-7, Jun 2001, $5.99, 392pp, pb) [Max the Assassin] Horror novel of an assassin with an inner demon.
On the Head of a Pin Michael John Howard (Denlingers Publishers 0-87714-241-6, Nov 2001, $8.95, 139pp, tp) Spiritual fantasy novel. A man stumbles on a spa where angels unwind from their heavenly duties. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.thebookden.com], or from Denlingers Bookstore, PO Box 1030, Edgewater FL 32132-1030.
Nameless Cults: The Cthulhu Mythos Fiction of Robert E. Howard Robert E. Howard (Chaosium 1-56882-130-1, Nov 2001, $15.95, 353pp, tp, cover by Harry Fassl) Collection of 18 horror stories, including a round-robin tale done with C.L. Moore, A. Merritt, H.P. Lovecraft, and Frank Belknap Long. Four stories were fragments finished by editor Robert M. Price, C.J. Henderson, Joe Pulver, and August Derleth. Price also provides an introduction on Howards Lovecraftian work. Order from Chaosium, 900 Murmansk St., Oakland CA 94607; [www.chaosium.com].
- xiii · Introduction: Raven, Son of Morn · Robert M. Price · in
- 1 · The Black Stone · ss Weird Tales Nov 31
- 17 · Worms of the Earth [Bran Mak Morn] · nv Weird Tales Nov 32
- 44 · The Little People · ss Coven 13 Jan 70
- 50 · People of the Dark · ss Strange Tales of Mystery and Terror Jun 32
- 66 · The Children of the Night · ss Weird Tales Apr/May 31
- 80 · The Thing on the Roof · ss Weird Tales Feb 32
- 90 · The Abbey · ms Fantasy Crossroads #4/5 75
- 99 · The Fire of Asshurbanipal · nv Weird Tales Dec 36
- 119 · The Door to the World · Robert E. Howard & Joseph S. Pulver · ss; expanded from The Door to the Garden, Fantasy Crosswinds #2, 1977.
- 139 · The Hoofed Thing [Usurp the Night] · nv Weirdbook #3 70
- 156 · Dig Me No Grave · ss Weird Tales Feb 37
- 168 · The House in the Oaks · Robert E. Howard & August Derleth · ss Dark Things, ed. August Derleth, Arkham, 1971
- 184 · The Black Bear Bites · ss From Beyond the Dark Gateway #3 74
- 196 · The Shadow Kingdom [Kull] · nv Weird Tales Aug 29
- 221 · The Gods of Bal-Sagoth [Turlogh OBrien] · nv Weird Tales Oct 31
- 252 · Skull-Face [Kathulos] · na Weird Tales Oct 29 (+2)
- 323 · Black Eons [James Allison] · Robert E. Howard & Robert M. Price · ss Fantasy Book Jun 85
- 340 · The Challenge from Beyond (Weird Fantasy - I) · C. L. Moore · rr Fantasy Magazine Sep 35
- 343 · The Challenge from Beyond (Weird Fantasy - II) · A. Merritt · rr Fantasy Magazine Sep 35
- 344 · The Challenge from Beyond (Weird Fantasy - III) · H. P. Lovecraft · rr Fantasy Magazine Sep 35
- 350 · The Challenge from Beyond (Weird Fantasy - IV) · rr Fantasy Magazine Sep 35
- 352 · The Challenge from Beyond (Weird Fantasy - V) · Frank Belknap Long · rr Fantasy Magazine Sep 35
Ill Met by Moonlight Sarah A. Hoyt (Ace 0-441-00860-7, Oct 2001, $21.95, 278pp, hc, cover by Anthony Frederick Augustus Sandys) [William Shakespeare] Fantasy novel. Young Will Shakespeare falls afoul of fairies. A first novel.
Of Darkness, Light, and Fire Tanya Huff (DAW 0-7564-0038-4, Dec 2001, $7.99, 513pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) Omnibus of two fantasy novels: Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light (DAW 1989) and Fires Stone (DAW 1990).
- 1 · Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light · n. New York: DAW, 1989
- 237 · Fires Stone · n. New York: DAW, 1990
The Second Summoning Tanya Huff (DAW 0-88677-975-8, Mar 2001, $6.99, 416pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Keepers] Contemporary fantasy novel, second in The Keepers after Summon the Keeper. Claires developing relationship with Dean is complicated after her little sister accidentally lets an angel loose in human form.
Fool Me Twice Matthew Hughes (Warner Aspect 0-446-60924-2, Aug 2001, $6.99, 287pp, pb, cover by Tim White) [Filidor Vesh; Old Earth] Fantasy novel, sequel to Fools Errant. The Archons apprentice pursues a thief to strange lands.
Fools Errant Matthew Hughes (Warner Aspect 0-446-60923-4, Mar 2001, $6.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Filidor Vesh; Old Earth] Satiric fantasy novel. First US edition (Maxwell Macmillan Canada 1994).
Gullibles Travels Matthew Hughes (SFBC #38432, Aug 2001, $12.98, 401pp, hc, cover by Tom Kidd) [Filidor Vesh; Old Earth] Omnibus of two fantasy novels: Fools Errant (1994) and Fool Me Twice (2001). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 0-73394-1940-4; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Fools Errant · n. Macmillan Canada, 1994
- 195 · Fool Me Twice · n. Warner Aspect, 2001
The Dark Wing Walter H. Hunt (Tor 0-765-30113-X, Dec 2001, $27.95, 491pp, hc, cover by David Seeley) [Dark Wing] Military SF novel. A scholar obsessed with exterminating the alien zor gets control of Earths fleet. A first novel.
Minutes to Burn Gregg Andrew Hurwitz (HarperCollins/Cliff Street 0-06-018886-3, Aug 2001, $25.00, 414pp, hc) Near-future SF thriller of ecological disaster. Scientists and Navy SEALs stranded by earthquakes on an island in the Galápagos discover mutant disease and monsters.
Wild Things Live There: The Best of Northern Frights ed. Don Hutchison (Mosaic Press 0-88962-765-7, Oct 2001, $15.00, 263pp, tp, cover by Sylvia Nickerson) Anthology of 16 horror/dark fantasy stories originally published in the Northern Frights anthology series of stories about or written by Canadians. Foreword by Hutchison, introduction by Michael Rowe. Authors include Nancy Kilpatrick, Robert Charles Wilson, and Nalo Hopkinson. Order from Mosaic Press, 1252 Speers Road, Units 1 & 2, Oakville, Ontario Canada L6L 5N9; 905-825-2130; [email@example.com]; in the US order from Mosaic Press, 4500 Witmer Industrial Estates, PMB 145, Niagara Falls NY 14305-1386; phone/fax 800-387-8992.
- · Foreword · Don Hutchison · fw
- · Introduction: Last Walk on the Night Side · Michael Rowe · in
- 1 · The Eddies · Garfield Reeves-Stevens · nv Northern Frights 2, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1994
- 29 · Sometimes, in the Rain · Charles L. Grant · ss Northern Frights 2, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1994
- 42 · The Sloan Men · David Nickle · ss Northern Frights 2, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1994
- 61 · Farm Wife · Nancy Kilpatrick · ss The Vampires Crypt #5 92
- 66 · The Perseids · Robert Charles Wilson · nv Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 95 · Fourth Person Singular · Dale L. Sproule · ss Northern Frights 2, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1994
- 112 · Slow Cold Chick · Nalo Hopkinson · ss Northern Frights 5, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1999
- 124 · Horror Story · Robert Boyczuk · nv Northern Frights 4, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1997
- 147 · Via Influenza · David Annandale · ss Northern Frights 4, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1997
- 161 · Ice Bridge · Edo van Belkom · ss Northern Frights 4, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1997
- 172 · A Voice in the Wild · Hugh B. Cave · ss Northern Frights 5, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1999
- 182 · Hello, Jane, Good-Bye · Sally McBride · ss Northern Frights 4, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1997
- 193 · Imposter · Peter Sellers · ss Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 209 · Wild Things Live There · Michael Rowe · ss Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 226 · The Pines · Tia Travis · ss Northern Frights 3, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1995
- 238 · The Emperors Old Bones · Gemma Files · ss Northern Frights 5, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1999
- 259 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
Ape and Essence Aldous Huxley (Dee, Ivan R./Elephant Paperbacks 0-929587-78-2, Jul 2001, $9.95, 205pp, tp) Reissue (Harper 1948) literary post-holocaust SF novel. No printing number is indicated; we last saw this in 1992.
Dial-a-Ghost Eva Ibbotson (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46693-2, Aug 2001, $15.99, 195pp, hc, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Young-adult humorous fantasy. Relatives hire ghosts to scare off an heir to the family mansion, but the ghosts have ideas of their own. Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes. First US edition (Macmillan Childrens Books 1996).
An Eva Ibbotson Collection: Which Witch?, The Secret of Platform 13, Island of the Aunts Eva Ibbotson (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46776-9, Jul 2001, $14.98, 231+231+281pp, hc, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Omnibus of three young-adult fantasy novels: Which Witch? (1979), The Secret of Platform 13 (1994), and Island of the Aunts (1999). The novels are separately paginated.
- · Which Witch? · n. London: Macmillan, 1979
- · The Secret of Platform 13 · n. London: Macmillan, 1994
- · Island of the Aunts · n. London: Macmillan, 1999
Island of the Aunts Eva Ibbotson (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230049-7, Oct 2001, $5.99, 281pp, tp, cover by Kevin Hawkes) Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 1999) young-adult humorous fantasy. Illustrated by Kevin Hawkes.