Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Starlight 3 ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden (Tor 0-312-86780-8, Jul 2001, $24.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) Original anthology of 16 stories by authors including Stephen Baxter, Terry Bisson, and Maureen F. McHugh.
DragonLance: The Messenger Douglas Niles (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1571-4, Feb 2001, $6.99, 310pp, pb, cover by Gerald Brom) [DragonLance: Icewall] Novelization based on the role-playing game, first volume in the Icewall trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
World Fall Douglas Niles (Ace 0-441-00855-0, Sep 2001, $14.95, 359pp, tp, cover by Jean Targete) [Seven Circles] Fantasy novel, book two of the Seven Circles trilogy. Druid priestess Miradel returns to her circle changed after being forced to live as a human.
The Song of the Earth Hugh Nissenson (Workman/Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill 1-56512-298-4, May 2001, $24.95, 244pp, hc, cover by Hugh Nissenson) Near-future SF novel, a portrait of an artist as a young man genetically engineered to be an old-fashioned manual artist. This includes 13 unpaginated pages of full-color reproductions of the authors own artwork.
Saturns Race Larry Niven & Steven Barnes (Tor 0-812-58010-9, Jun 2001, $7.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (Tor 2000) Near-future SF novel of a perfect society with a dark secret.
The Burning City Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle (Pocket 0-671-03661-0, Jun 2001, $6.99, 613pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Mana; Burning City] Reprint (Pocket 2000) pre-historic Los Angeles fantasy, first in a duology.
Man-Kzin Wars IX ed. Larry Niven (Baen 0-671-31838-1, Jan 2002, $22.00, 339pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Man-Kzin Wars] Original anthology set in Larry Nivens Known Space universe. This has stories by Poul Anderson, Hal Colebatch, Paul Chafe, and Larry Niven.
Lirael, Daughter of the Clayr Garth Nix (HarperCollins 0-06-027823-4, Apr 2001, $16.95, 487pp, hc, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Abhorsen] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to Sabriel. Sabriels son Prince Sameth, unable to fight necromancers like his mother, teams up with Lirael, who lacks her peoples ability to see the future, but has useful talents of her own. First US edition (Allen & Unwin Australia 2001).
The Seventh Tower: Above the Veil Garth Nix (Scholastic LucasBooks 0-439-17685-9, Apr 2001, $4.99, 248pp, tp, cover by Steve Rawlings) [Seventh Tower] Young-adult novel, fourth in a series of six. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Seventh Tower: Into Battle Garth Nix (Scholastic LucasBooks 0-439-17686-7, Aug 2001, $4.99, 201pp, tp, cover by Steve Rawlings) [Seventh Tower] Young-adult fantasy novel, fifth in a series of six. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Seventh Tower: The Violet Keystone Garth Nix (Scholastic LucasBooks 0-439-17687-5, Nov 2001, $4.99, 233pp, tp, cover by Steve Rawlings) [Seventh Tower] Young-adult fantasy novel, sixth in a series of six. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Dark Universe William F. Nolan (Stealth Press 1-58881-035-6, Oct 2001, $29.95, 470pp, hc, cover by Marc Raddle) Collection of 41 stories, chosen by Nolan as his best work from 1951-2001, arranged in the order written. Introduction by Christopher Conlon; preface and individual story introductions by Nolan. Available online at [www.stealthpress.com], or from Stealth Press, 336 College Ave., Lancaster PA 17603.
- xiii · Preface · pr
- xvii · Introduction · Christopher Conlon · in
- 1 · The Underdweller [Small World] · ss Fantastic Universe Aug 57
- 17 · And Miles to Go Before I Sleep · ss Infinity Science Fiction Aug 58
- 25 · One of Those Days · ss F&SF May 62
- 31 · The Party · ss Playboy Apr 67
- 43 · He Kilt It with a Stick · ss F&SF Feb 68
- 51 · Violation · ss Future City, ed. Roger Elwood, Trident, 1973
- 59 · Starblood · ss Infinity #4, ed. Robert Hoskins, Lancer, 1972
- 73 · Coincidence · ss The Berserkers, ed. Roger Elwood, Trident, 1974
- 81 · Kelly, Fredric Michael: 1928-1987 · ss Infinity #5, ed. Robert Hoskins, Lancer, 1973
- 89 · Dead Call · ss Frights, ed. Kirby McCauley, St. Martins, 1976
- 95 · Saturdays Shadow · nv Shadows #2, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1979
- 117 · The Partnership · ss Shadows #3, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1980
- 131 · A Real Nice Guy · ss Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine Apr 80
- 145 · The Pool · ss Horrors, ed. Charles L. Grant, Playboy, 1981
- 157 · Lonely Train AComin [The Train] · ss Gallery Oct 81
- 173 · Fair Trade · ss Whispers Mar 82
- 181 · Something Nasty · ss The Dodd, Mead Gallery of Horror, ed. Charles L. Grant, Dodd Mead, 1983
- 193 · Ceremony · nv Midnight, ed. Charles L. Grant, Tor, 1985
- 215 · The Final Stone · ss Cutting Edge, ed. Dennis Etchison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1986
- 239 · The Halloween Man · ss Night Cry Sum 86
- 251 · The Yard · ss Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 261 · My Name Is Dolly · ss Whispers VI, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1987
- 267 · Major Prevue Here Tonight · ss Post Mortem: New Tales of Ghastly Horror, ed. Paul F. Olson & David B. Silva, St. Martins, 1989
- 279 · The Cure · ss The Horror Show Sum 88
- 297 · Stoner · ss Twilight Zone Apr 89
- 303 · On 42nd St. · ss Masques #3, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1989
- 315 · Gobble, Gobble! · ss Weird Tales Win 90
- 323 · The Francis File · ss The Best of Whispers, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Borderlands Press, 1994
- 333 · Him, Her, Them · ss Psycho-Paths, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1991
- 351 · Babes Laughter · ss Cold Blood, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Ziesing, 1991
- 357 · Vympyre · vi I, Vampire, ed. Jean Stine & Forrest J Ackerman, Longmeadow Press, 1995
- 361 · The Visit · ss MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
- 367 · The Giant Man · ss Voices from the Night, ed. John Maclay, Maclay & Associates, 1994
- 375 · On Harpers Road · ss Journeys to the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 391 · At Diamond Lake · ss The Anthology of Fantasy & the Supernatural, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, Tiger, 1994
- 401 · Boyfren [Boyfriend] · ss Night Shapes, CD Publications, 1995
- 407 · Fyodors Law · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 94
- 419 · An Act of Violence · ss Phantasm #2 95
- 429 · A Good Day · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 97
- 437 · Freak · ss The Touch, ed. Steven-Elliot Altman & Patrick Merla, Pocket/ibooks, 2000
- 447 · Hearts Blood · ss Weird Tales Spr, 2000
California Sorcery ed. William F. Nolan & William Schafer (Ace 0-441-00808-9, Feb 2001, $5.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Jonathan Barkat) Reprint (CD Publications 1999) original anthology of 12 stories, three reprints. Authors include Richard Matheson, Charles Beaumont, and Ray Bradbury. There are introductions by Christopher Conlon and William F. Nolan.
The Third Chair Bruce Nortell (Lendtroninc 0-9674812-1-X, Mar 2001, $24.95, 396pp, tp) Science fiction and fantasy novel combining visits to Middle Earth and outer space. Available from Lendtroninc, 1220 Market Building, Wilmington DE 19801, or online from [www.bookch.com].
The Gates to Witch World Andre Norton (Tor 0-765-30050-8, Dec 2001, $27.95, 461pp, hc, cover by Mark Harrison) [Witch World] Omnibus of the first three Witch World novels: Witch World (1963), Web of the Witch World (1964), and Year of the Unicorn (1965). Introduction by C.J. Cherryh.
- 7 · Introduction · C. J. Cherryh · in
- 11 · Witch World · n. New York: Ace, 1963
- 173 · Web of the Witch World · n. New York: Ace, 1964
- 301 · Year of the Unicorn · n. New York: Ace, 1965
Star Soldiers Andre Norton (Baen 0-671-31827-6, Aug 2001, $18.00, 434pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) SF omnibus of two SF novels, Star Guard (1955) and Star Rangers (1953).
- 1 · Star Guard · n. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1955
- 223 · Star Rangers · n. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1953
Time Traders Andre Norton (SFBC #34453, Jan 2001, $11.98, 370pp, hc, cover by Carol Russo) [Time Traders] Reprint (Baen 2000) SF omnibus of the first two novels in the Time Traders or Ross Murdock series: The Time Traders (1958) and Galatic Derelict (1959). This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Time Traders Andre Norton (Baen 0-671-31829-2, Aug 2001, $6.99, 438pp, pb, cover by Carol Russo) [Time Traders] Reprint (Baen 2000) SF omnibus of the first two novels in the Time Traders or Ross Murdock series: The Time Traders (1958) and Galactic Derelict (1959).
Time Traders II: The Defiant Agents/Key Out of Time Andre Norton (Baen 0-671-31968-X, Feb 2001, $19.00, 370pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Time Traders] SF omnibus of Nortons last two solo novels in the Time Traders or Ross Murdock series: The Defiant Agents (1962) and Key Out of Time (1963).
- 1 · The Defiant Agents · n. World Publishing Co.: Cleveland, Ohio, 1962
- 187 · Key Out of Time · n. World Publishing Co.: Cleveland, Ohio, 1963
Time Traders II: The Defiant Agents/Key Out of Time Andre Norton (SFBC #37707, Jul 2001, $10.98, 370pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Time Traders] Reprint (Baen 2001) SF omnibus of Nortons last two solo novels in the Time Traders or Ross Murdock series: The Defiant Agents (1962) and Key Out of Time (1963). This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Leopard in Exile Andre Norton & Rosemary Edghill (Tor 0-312-86428-0, Apr 2001, $24.95, 347pp, hc) [Shadow of Albion] Fantasy historical adventure novel, sequel to Shadow of Albion.
Leopard in Exile Andre Norton & Rosemary Edghill (SFBC #36476, May 2001, $12.50, 347pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) [Shadow of Albion] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy historical adventure novel, sequel to Shadow of Albion. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Knight or Knave Andre Norton & Sasha Miller (Tor 0-312-87337-9, Jun 2001, $23.95, 318pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan] Fantasy novel. Second in the Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan after To the King a Daughter.
Knight or Knave Andre Norton & Sasha Miller (SFBC #37197, Jun 2001, $12.98, 318pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy novel. Second in the Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan after To the King a Daughter. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
To the King a Daughter Andre Norton & Sasha Miller (Tor 0-812-57757-4, Jun 2001, $6.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan] Reprint (Tor 2000) fantasy novel, volume one of The Cycle of Oak, Yew, Ash, and Rowan.
Five Mile House Karen Novak (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-159-1, Oct 2001, $14.95, 228pp, tp, cover by Henry Meynell Rheam) Reprint (Bloomsbury USA 2000, not seen) contemporary ghost story. An ex-police detective moves into a haunted house and runs into Wiccans seeking an ancient magical text.
Advanced Mythology Jody Lynn Nye (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-47-9, Sep 2001, $16.00, 395pp, tp, cover by Don Maitz) [Mythology] Fantasy novel, the fourth in the Mythology series. Keith Doyle and the Little Folk face mysterious forces and an industrial spy. A hardcover edition (-46-0, $30.00) was announced but not seen. Order online at [www.meishamerlin.com], or from Meisha Merlin, PO Box 7, Decatur GA 30031.
Halo: The Fall of Reach Eric Nylund (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45132-5, Nov 2001, $6.99, 340pp, pb) Novelization based on the computer game. Copyrighted by Microsoft.
BattleTech: Test of Vengeance Bryan Nystul (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45836-2, Jun 2001, $5.99, 269pp, pb) [Battletech] Novelization, #51 in the series based on the role-playing games. A first novel.
Beasts Joyce Carol Oates (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0896-4, Jan 2002, $15.95, 138pp, hc, cover by Henry Fuseli) Associational non-supernatural gothic horror novella. A college student in the 1970s gets involved with a charismatic professor with a sculptress wife.
Faithless: Tales of Transgression Joyce Carol Oates (HarperCollins/Ecco Press 0-06-018525-2, Mar 2001, $27.00, 386pp, hc) Associational collection of 21 crime and non-supernatural horror stories, one original.
- · PART ONE
- 3 · Au Sable · ss Harpers Feb 99
- 10 · Ugly [Ugly Girl] · nv The Paris Review
- 45 · Lover · ss Night-Side, 1977
- 56 · Summer Sweat · ss Playboy Aug 99
- 73 · Questions · ss Playboy Jan 87
- 90 · Physical · ss Playboy Aug 96
- 108 · Gunlove · nv *
- · PART TWO
- 129 · Faithless · nv The Kenyon Review Win 97
- 152 · The Scarf · ss Ploughshares Spr 98
- 159 · What Then, My Life? · nv Fiction v15 #2
- 186 · Secret, Silent · ss Boulevard Fll 98
- · PART THREE
- 209 · A Manhattan Romance · ss The Time Out Book of New York Short Stories, ed. Nicholas Royle, Penguin, 1997
- 221 · Murder-Two · nv Murder for Revenge, ed. Otto Penzler, Delacorte, 1998
- 243 · The Vigil · ss Harpers Jul, 2000
- 258 · We Were Worried About You · ss Boulevard
- 266 · The Stalker · ss Unusual Suspects, ed. James Grady, Vintage, 1996
- 282 · The Vampire · nv Murder and Obsession, ed. Otto Penzler, Delacorte, 1999
- 318 · Tusk · nv Irreconcilable Differences, ed. Lia Matera, HarperCollins, 1999
- 337 · The High School Sweetheart: A Mystery · ss Playboy Jan, 2001
- 354 · Death Watch · ss Story
- 370 · In *COPLAND* · ss Boulevard Fll 99
The Crow: Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams ed. J. OBarr & Ed Kramer (Donald M. Grant 1-880418-45-2, Mar 2001, $225.00, 526pp, hc) [Crow] Reprint (Del Rey 1998) original anthology of 20 stories and 10 poems inspired by the comic book and movies. This adds a Harlan Ellison story to the contents of the Del Rey trade paperback edition, which had dropped the Andrew Vachss story from the hardcover, and added one story by Ed Bryant; there are 19 full-page color illustrations previously printed only in black-and-white. This is a signed (by 39 artists and authors), slipcased, limited edition of 1,500. Donald M. Grant, PO Box 187, Hampton Falls NH 03844; [www.grantbooks.com]; add $7.00 shipping.
Planting Out Gerry OBrien (Dufour/Colin Smythe 0-86140-440-8, Dec 2001, $29.95, 255pp, hc, cover by John Ireland) [Borough] Humorous fantasy novel, set in the same world of The Borough introduced in Cleaning Up. An Abbot has unholy plans involving a corpse. This is the Colin Smythe UK edition, with Dufour stickers. Order from Dufour Editions, PO Box 7, Chester Springs PA 19425-0007; 610-458-5005; email: [Dufour8023@aol.com]; website: [http://go.to/Dufour].
Angel: Bruja Mel Odom (Pocket Pulse 0-7434-0701-6, Aug 2001, $5.99, 325pp, pb) [Angel] Novelization based on the TV series, a spin-off of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Might and Magic: The Sea of Mist Mel Odom (HarperEntertainment 0-06-103163-1, Sep 2001, $6.99, 325pp, pb) Fantasy novelization, the first based on the computer game. Copyrighted by The 3DO Company.
The Rover Mel Odom (Tor 0-312-87882-6, Aug 2001, $25.95, 400pp, hc, cover by Tim & Greg Hildebrandt) [Rover] Fantasy novel. A halfling librarians life of adventure starts when he is sold into slavery in a far land.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Dream Boat Mel Odom (Pocket Archway 0-7434-1812-3, Dec 2001, $4.99, 130pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 40th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Pirate Pandemonium Mel Odom (Pocket Archway 0-671-04072-3, Feb 2001, $4.99, 177pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 35th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Phoenix Fire Tim OLaughlin (Bodhidharma Publishing 0-615-11165-3, Apr 2001, $15.00, 343pp, tp, cover by James Osborne) Fantasy novel. Strangers united in California by past-life memories fight to save old-growth forests from their ancient foe. A first novel. This is copyrighted 1999, but did not appear until now. A print-on-demand book, available online at [www.bodhidharmapublishing.com] or from Bodhidharma Publishing, 10849 Ambassador Drive, Rancho Cordova CA 95670.
The Impossible Bird Patrick OLeary (Tor 0-765-30337-X, Jan 2002, $25.95, 366pp, hc) Quasi-SF novel. Two estranged brothers who were abducted by aliens as children have weird encounters when they try to find each other again.
Other Voices, Other Doors Patrick OLeary (Fairwood Press 0-9668184-3-1, Nov 2000, $17.99, 197pp, tp, cover by Rick Leider) Collection of eight stories, nine essays, and 28 poems. Foreword by Gene Wolfe. Order from Fairwood Press, 5203 Quincy Ave SE, Auburn WA 98092; [www.fairwoodpress.com].
- 4 · Foreword · Gene Wolfe · fw
- 8 · Introduction: A Cowboy Hospital Romance · in
- 12 · 23 Skidoo · ss Talebones Sum 97
- 24 · Brand Equity · ss Talebones Spr 98
- 32 · Bat Boy · ss infinity plus (online) Oct 98
- 38 · The Problem Phone · ss
- 52 · We Are All Together · ss
- 58 · The Maker of Miniatures · ss
- 68 · Before & After · ss
- 88 · Ding, Ding, DingA Christmas Story · ss
- 96 · How I Wrote a Science FictionThe Genesis of Door Number Three · ar Science Fiction Eye
- 104 · Death & The CriticA Response to a Pan of The Gift · vi The New York Review of Science Fiction Aug 98
- 108 · The Importance of Being SpiderSpider Robinson, Callahans Keeper · ar The New York Review of Science Fiction [Spider Robinson]
- 112 · More Than MeatVan Morrison · ar Crawdaddy [Van Morrison]
- 118 · A Matter of VisionGuilty: 30 Years of Randy Newman · ar Crawdaddy
- 122 · It Only Has to StinkImpeachable Offenses · ar
- 126 · Why Not?The Real Question of Science Fiction · aw; An afterword to the story 23 Skidoo.
- 132 · 1000-2000 · ar
- 136 · If Ever a Wiz There WasThe Ineffable Art of Gene Wolfe · ar [Gene Wolfe]
- 144 · The Yugoslavian Poetry Maker · pm Uncommonplaces, ed. Judith Kerman & Don Riggs, Mayapple Press, 2000
- 145 · The Body Remembers · pm
- 147 · Brother · pm The Quadra Project Calendar & Postcard Series
- 149 · Youre Smiling · pm Taproot
- 150 · The Square Dance · pm The Iowa Review
- 151 · True Story · pm The Iowa Review
- 153 · Something Needed · pm The Little Magazine
- 157 · I Knew · pm Poetry East
- 158 · Feel · pm
- 159 · Too Fast · pm The Little Magazine
- 160 · Stuck · pm Poetry East
- 161 · Only Parents Believe in Monsters · pm
- 164 · Flight · pm The Quadra Project Calendar & Postcard Series
- 165 · What We Carry · pm The Iowa Review
- 166 · You You Were Naked · pm Bouquet
- 168 · Vasectomy: A Poem in Two Parts · pm Men of Our Time: An Anthology of Male Poetry in Contemporary America, University of Georgia Press
- 174 · The Black Garden · pm The Iowa Review
- 176 · Mrs. Rotumkas Daughter · pm
- 178 · Easter · pm
- 179 · My Father Is a Beautiful Woman · pm
- 182 · Drinking Air, Breathing Water · pm University of Windsor Review
- 184 · Pinball · pm The MacGuffin
- 186 · Kudzu · pm The Iowa Review
- 188 · The Astronaut · pm The Iowa Review
- 190 · Somewhere Like Leonardo · pm The Little Magazine
- 191 · Younging · pm
- 192 · Dusk (On Turning 40) · pm Phoenix
- 193 · This Is a Poem · pm