Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
4X4 ed. Michael Oliveri, Geoff Cooper, Brian Keene & Michael T. Huyck, Jr. (Delirium Books 1-929653-20-4, Nov 2001, $18.00, 182pp, hc, cover by GAK) Original anthology of eight stories, one a reprint, a mix of solo and collaborative work by the author/editors. The afterword by the authors discusses why they write horror, and how these stories came to be. Introduction by Ray Garton. Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; e-mail: [email@example.com]; website: [www.deliriumbooks.com].
Understanding Lord of the Flies: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents Kirstin Olsen (Greenwood Press 0-313-30723-7, Jun 2000, $39.95, 212pp, hc) Non-fiction guide to William Goldings classic novel, part of the Literature in Context series, providing literary, cultural, and historical background; the SF premise of the story is largely disregarded. This is dated 2000, but not seen until now. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com].
Oxygen John B. Olson & Randall Ingermanson (Bethany House 0-7642-2442-5, May 2001, $11.99, 368pp, tp) [Oxygen] Near-future Christian SF novel. A mission to Mars is sabotaged. Order from Bethany House, 11400 Hampshire Ave. S., Minneapolis MN 55438; [www.bethanyhouse.com]; credit card orders: 800-328-6109; add $4.00 postage.
The Getaway Special Jerry Oltion (Tor 0-312-87777-3, Dec 2001, $26.95, 400pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Getaway Special] SF novel. A scientist is dismayed by the chaos caused by his newly invented hyperdrive.
Star Trek: S.C.E. Book One: Have Tech, Will Travel ed. John Ordover (Pocket 0-7434-3996-1, Jan 2002, $6.99, 392pp, pb) [Star Trek: S.C.E.] Anthology of four Star Trek novellas about the Starfleet Corp of Engineers, all previously published as e-books. Authors are Dean Wesley Smith, Christie Golden, Keith R.A. DeCandido, and Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Visions of Spaceflight: Images from the Ordway Collection Frederick I. Ordway, III (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-181-5, Sep 2001, $50.00, 176pp, hc, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Art book of five centuries of art presenting humans in space, with text by Ordway. Introduction by Arthur C. Clarke. Includes numerous illustrations by Chesley Bonestell and Fred Freeman originally published in Colliers and This Week in the 1950s.
((Frequencies)) Joshua Ortega (Omega Point Productions 0-9671120-2-8, Oct 2001, $17.76, 319pp, tp) SF novel of Seattle in 2051. A first novel. A limited local first edition (the beta version) was previously available. Omega Point Productions, PO Box 85690, Seattle WA 98145-1690; 206-729-6509; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.omegapp.com]; add $2.00 shipping.
The Whitler E. L. Pace (Hampton Roads 1-57174-259-X, May 2001, $13.95, 207pp, tp, cover by Cecelia Chejne) Visionary fantasy novel. An accident sends a boy into a strange dimension where the mysterious Whittler shapes reality. A first novel.
West of the Sun Edgar Pangborn (Old Earth Books 1-882968-20-4, Aug 2001, $25.00, 242pp, hc, cover by Rob Alexander) Reprint (Doubleday 1953) SF novel. Available from Old Earth Books, PO Box 19951, Baltimore MD 21211-0951.
BattleTech: Call of Duty Blaine Lee Pardoe (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45856-7, Oct 2001, $5.99, 274pp, pb, cover by Ed Cox) [Battletech] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, #53 in the series. Copyrighted by FASA.
The Annunciate Severna Park (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-80502-2, Dec 2001, $6.99, 294pp, pb, cover by D. M. Bowers) Reprint (Avon Eos 1999) SF novel.
Mimis Ghost Tim Parks (Arcade Publishing 1-55970-556-6, Jan 2001, $24.95, 314pp, hc) [Juggling the Stars] Ghost novel, sequel to Juggling the Stars. First US edition (Secker & Warburg 1995).
Learning from Other Worlds: Estrangement, Cognition, and the Politics of Science Fiction and Utopia ed. Patrick Parrinder (Duke University Press 0-8223-2773-2, Aug 2001, $18.95, 312pp, tp) Critical non-fiction, a gathering of 11 essays on SF and utopias, with an introduction by Parrinder and an afterword by Darko Suvin, who also provides a checklist of printed matter on the subject. Includes bibliography and index. A hardcover edition (-2776-7, $54.95) was announced but not seen. First US edition (Liverpool University Press 2000). Order from Duke University Press, Box 90660, Durham NC 27708-0660.
The Man with the Barbed-Wire Fists Norman Partridge (Night Shade Books 1-892389-11-8, May 2001, $27.00, 429pp, hc, cover by John Picacio) Collection of 24 stories, two original, with a lengthy introduction in which Partridge explains how drive-in movies inspired him to become a writer. A signed, slipcased edition of 100 (-12-6, $55.00), which includes an exclusive chapbook, is also available. Night Shade Books, 560 Scott #304, San Francisco CA 94117; [email@example.com]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- 1 · Seeing Past the Corners (an Introduction of Sorts) · in
- 23 · Red Right Hand · nv Burton, MI: Subterranean Press, 1998
- 47 · Coyotes · ss The Conspiracy Files, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Scott H. Urban, DAW, 1998
- 67 · Do Not Hasten to Bid Me Adieu · nv Love in Vein, ed. Poppy Z. Brite & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1994
- 87 · The Man with the Barbed-Wire Fists · ss Frankenstein: The Monster Wakes, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 99 · The Pack · ss Werewolves, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 117 · Blood Money · nv *
- 141 · Last Kiss · ss New Crimes 3, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1991
- 153 · Blackbirds · ss Imagination Fully Dilated, ed. Alan M. Clark & Elizabeth Engstrom, CD Publications, 1998
- 167 · Wrong Turn · ss Murder for Father, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Signet, 1994
- 183 · Spyder · nv Dark Voices 6, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1994
- 199 · In Beauty, Like the Night · ss Mr. Fox and Other Feral Tales, Arvada, CO: Roadkill Press, 1992
- 219 · Minutes · ss Phantasm #1 94
- 227 · Where the Woodbine Twineth · ss *
- 235 · Mr. Fox · ss Mr. Fox and Other Feral Tales, Arvada, CO: Roadkill Press, 1992
- 255 · The Hollow Man · ss Grue #13 91
- 263 · Return of the Shroud · nv Dark Voices 4, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1992
- 287 · Tombstone Moon · ss Souls in Pawn, ed. George Hatch, Horrors Head Press, 1992
- 297 · The Mojave Two-Step · ss Future Crimes, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 1999
- 311 · ¡Cuidado! · ss Chilled To the Bone, ed. Robert T. Garcia, Mayfair Games, 1991
- 323 · Carne Muerta · nv Cemetery Dance #30 98
- 335 · Bucket of Blood · ss Cemetery Dance Fll 97
- 353 · Undead Origami · nv Celebrity Vampires, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 375 · Harvest · ss Earth Strikes Back, ed. Richard Chizmar, Ziesing, 1994
- 385 · The Bars on Satans Jailhouse · nv Arvada, CO: Roadkill Press, 1995
- 417 · Bibliography · bi
Angel: Avatar John Passarella (Pocket Pulse 0-7434-0698-2, Mar 2001, $5.99, 309pp, pb) [Angel] Novelization based on the TV series, a spin-off of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Cradle and All James Patterson (Warner 0-446-60940-4, Feb 2001, $7.99, 355pp, pb) Reprint (Little, Brown 2000) religious/supernatural thriller, a reworking of Virgin (McGraw-Hill 1980). Two pregnant virgins carry the Savior and the devils child, but no one knows which is which.
The Martian Named Smith: Critical Perspectives on Robert A. Heinleins Stranger in a Strange Land William H. Patterson, Jr. & Andrew Thornton (Nitrosyncretic Press 0-9679874-2-3, Jul 2001, $18.00, 209 + xi, tp) Non-fiction, an in-depth critical examination of Heinleins Hugo-winning SF novel. Includes an appendix analyzing the significance of names in the novel, along with bibliography, glossary, and index. Order from Nitrosyncretic Press, PO Box 4313, Citrus Heights CA 95611; [www.nitrosyncretic.com]. [Robert A. Heinlein]
The Golden Sword Fiona Patton (DAW 0-88677-921-9, Aug 2001, $6.99, 416pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Brannion] Fantasy novel, the fourth about the kingdom of Brannion. Young Camdens affinity for the Wind leads him into a group of outlaw heretics.
The Hallowed Isle, Books III & IV: The Book of the Cauldron and The Book of the Stone Diana Paxson (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-81759-4, Feb 2001, $6.50, 374pp, pb) [Hallowed Isle] Reprint (SFBC 2000 as part of The Hallowed Isle) omnibus of the third and fourth novels in the Arthurian fantasy series: The Book of the Cauldron (1999) and The Book of the Stone (2000).
The Best-Known Man in the World & Other Misfits Daniel Pearlman (Aardwolf Press 0-9706225-0-3, Jul 2001, $14.95, 256pp, tp, cover by Frank Wu) Collection of 12 stories, two original. Available from Aardwolf Press, PO Box 14792, Durham NC 27709-4792; [www.aardwolfpress.com].
- 7 · The Best-Known Man in the World · ss Magic Realism Sum 95
- 25 · The Drang of Speaking Forth · ss RE:AL Spr 92
- 41 · The Vaticans Secret Cabinet · nv *
- 67 · Cogitor, Ergo Sum · ss Puck #10 94
- 79 · The Circus Hands Desertion · ss The Silver Web Win/Spr 93
- 101 · Over the H.I.L.L. · nv Challenging Destiny Apr 99
- 133 · Einstein-Jung Connection · ss Quarterly West #42 96
- 153 · The Colonels Jeep · nv Extremes II: Fantasy & Horror from the Ends of the Earth, ed. Brian A. Hopkins, CD Publications, 2001
- 183 · Spellchecked · ss Going Postal, ed. Gerard Daniel Houarner, Space & Time, 1998
- 191 · Death in the Des(s)ert [Rising Action] · nv New England Review Apr 88
- 225 · Fall of the House · ss Ténèbres #6 99; originally in French.
- 237 · Zeno Evil · ss *
The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp Richard Peck (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-131094-4, Apr 2001, $5.99, 183pp, tp, cover by Mark Elliot) [Blossom Culp] Reissue (Delacorte 1983) young-adult fantasy novel in the Blossom Culp series. Blossoms psychic talents send her from 1914 to the present.
Ghosts I Have Been Richard Peck (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-131096-0, Apr 2001, $5.99, 214pp, tp, cover by Mark Elliot) [Blossom Culp] Reissue (Viking 1977) young-adult fantasy novel in the Blossom Culp series. Blossoms second sight puts her on the sinking Titanic.
Chap Foey Rider: Capitalist to the Stars Hayford Peirce (Wildside Press 1-58715-196-0, Jan 2001, $13.95, 119pp, tp) [Chap Foey Rider] Collection of six humorous SF stories, one original, about the enterprising merchant Chap Foey Rider. An on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045.
- 9 · Mail Supremacy · vi Analog Mar 75
- 14 · Doing Well While Doing Good · ss Analog Aug 75
- 35 · Rebounder · ss Analog Apr 76
- 56 · The Missionaries Position · ss Analog Jan 77
- 76 · Children of Invention · ss Analog Mar 77
- 104 · The Servant Problem · ss *
Napoleon Disentimed Hayford Peirce (Wildside Press 1-58715-267-3, 2000, $16.95, 244pp, tp) [MacNair of MacNair] Reprint (Tor 1987) alternate world time-travel novel. This is dated 2000, but was not seen until now. An on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 45, Gillette NJ 07933-0045.
Sam Ferron: Time Scanner Hayford Peirce (Wildside Press 1-58715-378-5, Oct 2001, $14.95, 181pp, tp) Collection of six SF stories about Sam Ferron and the time scanner that lets the government look into the past. An on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
- 9 · Under the Wings of Owls [Sam Ferron] · nv Analog Jan 94
- 40 · To Change a Memory [Sam Ferron] · nv Analog Mar 94
- 69 · Pandoras Scanner [Sam Ferron] · nv Analog Jun 94
- 100 · Midwife [Sam Ferron] · nv Analog Sep 94
- 123 · Innocent Until Scanned Guilty [Sam Ferron] · nv Analog Mar 95
- 157 · The Crucifixion Project [Sam Ferron] · nv
The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft ed. John Pelan & Benjamin Adams (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44926-6, Jan 2002, $23.95, 469pp, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Original Lovecraftian anthology of 21 stories, one a reprint. Authors include China Miéville, Caitlín R. Kiernan, and Richard Laymon.
4 by Pelevin Victor Pelevin (New Directions 0-8112-1491-5, Sep 2001, $9.00, 101pp, tp) Collection of four stories with surreal/fantastic elements. Translated by Andrew Bromfield from the Russian. This Bibelot sampler combines stories from two previous collections.
The Weird O It Clive Pemberton (Midnight House 0-9675157-7-7, 2000, $40.00, 221pp, hc, cover by Allen Koszowski) Reprint (Henry J. Drane 1906) collection of 11 macabre stories; this adds one previously uncollected story, The Mark of the Beast. The introduction by John Pelan discusses his efforts to find out more about this little-known author. This is a limited edition of 460; it is dated 2000, but was not seen until now. Order from Midnight House, 4128 Woodland Park Ave. N, Seattle WA 98103; [www.darksidepress.com].
- 9 · An Introduction to an Enigma · Clive Pelan · in
- 21 · The Spider · ss
- 35 · The Pool · ss The Weird o It, Henry Drane, 1906
- 55 · The Will of Luke Carlowe · ss Sketchy Bits Feb 19 06
- 71 · The Wedding Guest · ss
- 89 · The Soul of Nina Ventrix · ss
- 111 · The Bulb · ss
- 129 · Purple Eyes · ss The Weird o It, Henry Drane, 1906
- 147 · A Hundred Years Dead · ss
- 167 · A Dead Mans Bargain · ss The Weird o It, Henry Drane, 1906
- 183 · The Compact · ss
- 201 · The Mark of the Beast · ss
Resident Evil 6: Code: Veronica S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-671-78498-6, Dec 2001, $6.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Stephen Gardner) [Resident Evil] Novelization based on the SF video games. Copyrighted by Capcom U.S.A.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar, Book One S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-7434-0050-X, May 2001, $6.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar] Star Trek novelization, the first in a series of two. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar, Book Two S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-7434-0051-8, May 2001, $6.99, 234pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar] Star Trek novelization, the second in a series of two. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Section 31, Book One: Cloak S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-671-77471-9, Jul 2001, $6.99, 211pp, pb) [Star Trek; Section 31] Star Trek novelization, one of four books in the Section 31 sub-series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
A Lower Deep Tom Piccirilli (Leisure 0-8439-4921-X, Oct 2001, $5.99, 363pp, pb) Horror novel. The Necromancer must face an evil coven led by his old master.
Jonathan White: Stockbroker in Orbit Hayford Peirce (Wildside Press 1-58715-358-0, Aug 2001, $14.95, 196pp, tp) [Jonathan Welbrook White Ethical Broker & Bourseman] Collection of five humorous SF stories, one original, about the misadventures of broker Jonathan Welbrook White in the asteroid belt in 2278. An on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
- 9 · Six Million Solid Gold Belter Buckles · nv Analog Aug 94
- 39 · Deep-Fried Black Diamonds · ss Analog Jan 95
- 69 · Never Short a Vestal Virgin · nv *
- 99 · The Ore-Ball Express · nv Analog Aug 96
- 140 · The Boxie Rebellion · nv Analog Feb 97
Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood Meredith Ann Pierce (Viking 0-670-89247-5, May 2001, $16.99, 241pp, hc, cover by Rafal Oblinski) Young-adult fantasy novel. A girl living on the edge of a mysterious forest begins to realize shes not like other people.
The Circle Opens: Magic Steps Tamora Pierce (Scholastic Press 0-590-39605-6, Apr 2001, $4.99, 262pp, tp, cover by Theron) [Circle Opens] Reprint (Scholastic Press US 2000) young-adult fantasy novel, first in a new series sequel to The Circle of Magic.
The Circle Opens: Street Magic Tamora Pierce (Scholastic Press 0-590-39628-5, Apr 2001, $16.95, 300pp, hc, cover by Theron) [Circle Opens] Young-adult fantasy novel, second in a new series sequel to The Circle of Magic. Briar finds a girl with stone magic, but almost loses her to gang violence.
Protector of the Small: Page Tamora Pierce (Random House 0-679-88918-3, May 2001, $4.99, 268pp, pb, cover by Joyce Patti) [Keladry] Reprint (Random House 2000) young-adult fantasy adventure novel, second in a series following The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals. Now officially a page, Keladry continues to work towards becoming a knight.
Protector of the Small: Squire Tamora Pierce (Random House 0-679-98916-1, Jun 2001, $15.95, 402pp, hc, cover by Joyce Patti) [Keladry] Young-adult fantasy adventure novel, third in a series following The Song of the Lioness and The Immortals. Keladrys service as a squire is complicated by a baby griffin, the arrival of a foreign princess and a hint of romance.
DragonLance: Chosen of the Gods Chris Pierson (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1902-7, Nov 2001, $6.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Marc Fishman) [DragonLance: Kingpriest Trilogy] Novelization based on the role-playing games. Volume One in The Kingpriest Trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Witch Christopher Pike (Pocket Pulse 0-7434-2799-8, Sep 2001, $5.99, 225pp, pb) Reprint (Archway 1990) young-adult horror novel.
The Chosen Ricardo Pinto (Tor 0-812-58435-X, Feb 2001, $7.99, 624pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Stone Dance of the Chameleon] Reprint (Bantam UK 1999) fantasy novel, first book in The Stone Dance of the Chameleon trilogy.