Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Doctor Who: Escape Velocity Colin Brake (BBC Books 0-563-53825-2, Feb 2001, £5.99, 249pp, pb) [Doctor Who: New Adventures] Novelization based on the TV series, featuring the eighth Doctor. Book 42 of the BBC New Adventures series.
The Fated Sky Henrietta Branford (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-66102-X, Jun 2001, £4.99, 151pp, tp, cover by Scott Rhodes) Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 1996) young-adult historical novel with fantasy elements. Sixth printing. A Signature title.
Dream Master Nightmare! Theresa Breslin (Transworld/Corgi Yearling 0-440-86395-3, Jan 2001, £4.99, 144pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dream Master] Reprint (Doubleday UK 2000) young-adult fantasy novel. Second in a series about a boy who can control dreams and alternate versions of history.
K-PAX Gene Brewer (Bloomsbury 0-7475-2547-1, Jul 2001, £6.99, 231pp, tp) [K-PAX] Reissue (St. Martins 1995) literary quasi-SF novel. First in a series.
On a Beam of Light Gene Brewer (Bloomsbury 0-7475-5394-7, Jul 2001, £6.99, 260pp, tp) [K-PAX] Reprint (St. Martins 2001) literary quasi-SF novel, sequel to K-PAX. [First U.K. edition]
Baptised in the Blood of Millions David Britton (Savoy Books 0-86130-101-3, Feb 2001, £20.00, 244pp, hc, cover by John Coulthart) [Lord Horror] Alternate history SF/horror novel, sequel to Lord Horror. A semi-surreal, autobiographical account by Lord Horror of a bizarre alternate England before WWII. Savoy Books, 446 Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 3BW, UK; [www.savoy.abel.co.uk].
Offerings: The Art of Brom Gerald Brom (Paper Tiger 1-85585-918-1, Oct 2001, £20.00, 128pp, hc, cover by Brom) Art book, featuring primarily recent art for book covers and games. Foreword by Arnie Fenner.
Infinity Plus One ed. Keith Brooke & Nick Gevers (PS Publishing 1-902880-23-4, Dec 2001, £45.00, 281pp, hc, cover by Dominic Harman) Anthology of 13 stories, one original and two previously published only online. selected by the editors of online fiction showcase Infinity Plus. Authors include Kit Reed, Kim Newman, Patrick OLeary, and Jeff VanderMeer. Introduction by Peter F. Hamilton. This is a limited edition of 500 signed by all participants. PS Publishing, 98 High Ash Drive, Leeds LS17 8RE, UK; [www.editorial-services.co.uk/pspublishing].
- · Editors Notes · Keith Brooke & Nick Gevers · ms *
- · Introduction · Peter F. Hamilton · in *
- · Radio Waves · Michael Swanwick · nv Omni Win 95
- · The Second Window · Patrick OLeary · ss infinity plus (online), 2000
- · Lovestory · James Patrick Kelly · nv Asimovs Jun 98
- · Ghost Dancing with Manco Tupac · Jeff VanderMeer · nv Imagination Fully Dilated 2, ed. Elizabeth Engstrom, IFD Publishing, 2000
- · Home Time · Ian R. MacLeod · nv F&SF Feb 98
- · A Spy in the Domain of Arnheim · Michael Bishop · nv Pictures At an Exhibition, ed. Ian Watson, Greystoke Mobray, 1981
- · Memories of the Flying Ball Bike Shop · Garry Kilworth · ss IASFM Jun 92
- · Kitsune · Mary Gentle · ss Odyssey #5 98
- · Gods Foot · Tony Daniel · ss Asimovs May 93
- · Tomorrow Town [Richard Jeperson] · Kim Newman · nv Sci Fiction website Nov 15, 2000
- · Jack Neck and The Worrybird · Paul Di Filippo · ss Science Fiction Age Jul 98
- · Old Soldiers · Kit Reed · ss *
- · The Lunatics · Kim Stanley Robinson · nv Terrys Universe, ed. Beth Meacham, Tor, 1988
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Book One: Ilse Witch Terry Brooks (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-1492-6, Sep 2001, £6.99, 454pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Shannara: Voyage of the Jerle Shannara] Reprint (Del Rey 2000) fantasy novel. In the Shannara series.
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Book Two: Antrax Terry Brooks (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight UK 0-7432-0953-2, Sep 2001, £17.99, 375pp, hc) [Shannara: Voyage of the Jerle Shannara] Fantasy novel. The sequel to Ilse Witch. Simultaneous with the US (Del Rey) edition. A trade paperback (export only) edition (-0954-0) was announced but not seen. In the Shannara series.
The World of Shannara Terry Brooks & Teresa Patterson (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7432-2005-6, Nov 2001, £25.00, xi+206pp, hc, cover by Justin Sweet) [Shannara] Reprint (Del Rey 2001) reference guide, with text by Patterson. Illustrated by David Cherry. Foreword by Brooks. Copyrighted by Bill Fawcett and Associates. [First U.K. edition]
Angels & Demons Dan Brown (Transworld/Corgi 0-552-14871-7, Jun 2001, £6.99, 619pp, pb, cover by John Langdon) Reprint (Pocket 2000) mainstream/SF thriller of the battle between the Illuminati and the Catholic church, and an irresistible weapon concealed in the heart of the Vatican.
New York Nights Eric Brown (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-782-9, Apr 2001, £6.99, 327pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Virex] Reprint (Gollancz 2000) SF novel. Book One in the Virex Trilogy.
A Writers Life Eric Brown (PS Publishing 1-902880-20-X, May 2001, £8.00, 78pp, tp, cover by Julian Flynn) Fantasy novella of a writer unsatisfied with his modest success, and obsessed by an earlier such writer. Introduction by Paul Di Filippo. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a hardcover edition of 300 (-21-8, £25.00) was announced but not seen. Available from PS Publishing, 98 High Ash Drive, Leeds LS17 8RE, UK.
Bad Timing and Other Stories Molly Brown (Big Engine 1-903468-06-X, Jun 2001, £8.99, 267pp, tp, cover by Deirdre Counihan) Collection of 21 SF, fantasy and horror stories published in the last ten years, including one original vignette, and three in the Ruella series. Four are revised.
- 1 · Bad Timing · ss Interzone Dec 91
- 19 · Feeding Julie · ss Interzone Oct 95
- 35 · Community Service · ss Interzone May 96
- 55 · Agents of Darkness · ss Interzone Oct 92
- 71 · Doing Things Differently · nv Interzone Sep 96
- 93 · The Vengeance of Grandmother Wu · ss Interzone Jul 92; revised.
- 115 · Return of the Princess [Queen Ruella] · ss Villains!, ed. Mary Gentle & Roz Kaveney, Roc UK, 1992; revised.
- 119 · No Better Than Anyone Else · ss Interzone Apr 93
- 133 · The Psychomantium · ss Interzone Feb 97
- 151 · Star · ss New Crimes 3, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Robinson, 1991
- 157 · A Sense of Focus · ss Constable New Crimes 1, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: Constable, 1992
- 165 · Choosing The Incubus · ss Bad Sex, ed. John Hoyland, Serpents Tail, 1993
- 177 · Asleep at the Wheel · ss Phantoms Nov 96
- 185 · Rules of Engagement [Queen Ruella] · ss Substance Aut 95
- 191 · Women on the Brink of a Cataclysm · nv Interzone Jan 94
- 225 · Learning to Fly · ss Interzone Feb 93
- 235 · The Final Rushlight · vi *
- 237 · Doris And Angie And Me · ss The Hardcore #8 92
- 243 · Angels Day · ss London Noir, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Serpents Tail, 1994; revised.
- 253 · Neon Nightsong · vi After Hours Spr 91
- 255 · Ruella in Love [Queen Ruella] · ss Interzone Oct 93
Warriors of Alavna N. M. Browne (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4694-0, 2000, £5.99, 308pp, tp, cover by Rob Hefferan) [Ursula and Dan] Young-adult time-travel fantasy novel. Two children are transported to the harsh realities of a parallel first-century Britain. Published in 2000, but not seen until now.
Doctor Who: Grimm Reality or The Marvellous Adventures of Doctor Know-All Simon Bucher-Jones & Kelly Hale (BBC Books 0-563-53841-4, Oct 2001, £5.99, 276pp, pb) Novelization based on the TV series. Book 50 of the BBC New Adventures series.
The Zero Train Yuri Buida (Dedalus 1-903517-01-X, Jul 2001, £6.99, 135pp, tp, cover by David Bird) Literary fantasy novel. Translated from the Russian original Don Domino (1993), and with an afterword by Oliver Ready.
Corsair Chris Bunch (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-034-2, Apr 2001, £10.99, 406pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) Fantasy novel. Gareth Radnor, ex-clerk and current prisoner, must escape to lead the Corsairs against a full-scale invasion.
The Empire Stone Chris Bunch (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-033-4, Mar 2001, £6.99, 359pp, pb, cover by David OConnor) Reprint (Orbit 2000) fantasy novel.
Sten 5: Revenge of the Damned Chris Bunch & Allan Cole (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-080-6, Jul 2001, £5.99, 388pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Sten] Reprint (Del Rey 1989) SF novel, fifth in the eight-book Sten series about a rebel who becomes a military hero. [First U.K. edition]
Sten 6: The Return of the Emperor Chris Bunch & Allan Cole (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-081-4, Aug 2001, £5.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Sten] Reprint (Del Rey 1990 as The Return of the Emperor) SF novel. Sixth in the eight-book Sten series about a rebel who becomes a military hero. [First U.K. edition]
Sten 7: Vortex Chris Bunch & Allan Cole (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-082-2, Sep 2001, £5.99, 403pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) [Sten] Reprint (Del Rey 1992 as Vortex) SF novel. Seventh in the 8-book Sten series about a rebel who becomes a military hero. [First U.K. edition]
Sten 8: Empires End Chris Bunch & Allan Cole (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-083-0, Oct 2001, £6.99, 522pp, pb, cover by Fred Gambino) Reprint (Del Rey 1993) SF novel, the last in the Sten series about a rebel who becomes a military hero. [First U.K. edition]
Bloodtide Melvin Burgess (Penguin/Puffin UK 0-14-130689-0, Jan 2001, £5.99, 370pp, tp, cover by Nick Stearn) [Bloodtide] Reprint (Andersen Press 1999) young-adult SF/fantasy novel, based on the first part of the Icelandic Volsunga Saga. Two warring families control a ruined London, and an attempted truce by betrothal is undermined by the gods. The original edition was not seen.
Lady: My Life as a Bitch Melvin Burgess (Andersen Press 0-86264-770-3, Aug 2001, £10.99, 200pp, hc, cover by Gary Andrews) Young-adult fantasy novel. A problem teenager becomes a female dog.
Faith Odyssey Richard Burridge (The Bible Reading Fellowship, Nov 2000, £6.99, tp) Non-fiction guide combining Bible study for Lent and SF, including Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, and books by James Herbert, C.S. Lewis, and Arthur C. Clarke. This is dated 2000, but not seen until now. Foreword by Simon Jones. The Bible Reading Fellowship, Peters Way, Sandy Lane West, Oxford UK OX4 5HG; [www.brf.org.uk].
The Ticket That Exploded William Burroughs (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-586-08591-2, Sep 2001, £6.99, 168pp, tp) [Nova Police] Reprint (Olympia 1962 as by William S. Burroughs) hallucinogenic SF novel. This is the revised text (Grove Press, 1967). A Flamingo Modern Classic.
Naked Lunch William S. Burroughs (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-00-711519-9, Apr 2001, £4.99, 229pp, pb) Reprint (Olympia Press 1959 as The Naked Lunch) literary SF/fantasy novel. Includes a 1993 introduction by J.G. Ballard, and an introduction and Afterthoughts (1991) by Burroughs. A Flamingo Sixties Classic.
The Pocket Essential Cyberpunk Andrew M. Butler (Simon & Schuster/Pocket Essentials 1-903047-28-5, Nov 2000, £3.99, 95pp, pb) Critical reference guide to the genre, examining its origins, seminal authors, development, and consequent films. Published in 2000, but not seen until now.
The Pocket Essential Terry Pratchett Andrew M. Butler (Simon & Schuster/Pocket Essentials 1-903047-39-0, Apr 2001, £3.99, 94pp, pb) Guide to Pratchetts fiction. [Terry Pratchett]
Parable of the Sower Octavia E. Butler (The Womens Press 0-7043-4421-1, Aug 2001, £6.99, 299pp, tp) [Parable] Reissue (Four Walls Eight Windows 1993) SF novel set in a dystopian 21st-century California where small walled enclaves hold a brutal world at bay.
Parable of the Talents Octavia E. Butler (The Womens Press 0-7043-4682-6, Aug 2001, £7.99, 365pp, tp, cover by Aude Van Ryn) [Parable] Reprint (Seven Stories 1998) dystopian SF novel, sequel to Parable of the Sower. Lauren and her daughter mature in the war-torn world of 2032.
The Door in the Lake Nancy Butts (CollinsVoyager 0-00-710839-7, Sep 2001, £3.99, 191pp, tp) Reprint (Front Street 1998) young-adult SF novel. A boy disappears, then returns two years later, no older, and with no memory of the lost time. [First U.K. edition]
Things Unborn Eugene Byrne (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-0911-6, Apr 2001, £6.99, 420pp, pb, cover by The Whole Hog) Alternate-Earth novel where the Atom War of 1962 (or God) caused the dead to be reborn as retreads, and long-dead villains scheme for ultimate power.
Dervish Is Digital Pat Cadigan (Pan 0-330-39107-0, Oct 2001, £5.99, 230pp, pb) [Dore Konstantin] Reprint (Macmillan UK 2000) SF novel, featuring Detective Doré Konstantin of Tea from an Empty Cup.
Impakto Richard Calder (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-0895-0, Sep 2001, £6.99, 442pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Horror novel. A man who survived being aborted as an infant learns he now must pay by being possessed by demons.
Alvin Journeyman Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-029-6, Mar 2001, £6.99, 400pp, pb) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (Tor 1995) fantasy novel of a magical alternate America. The Tales of Alvin Maker IV. [First U.K. edition]
Heartfire Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-032-6, Apr 2001, £6.99, 336pp, pb) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (Tor 1998) fantasy novel. Fifth in the Alvin Maker series. Alvin heads for witch-hanging New England, while his wife goes south to Camelot. [First U.K. edition]
Prentice Alvin Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-037-7, Feb 2001, £6.99, 342pp, pb, cover by David OConner) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (Tor 1989) alternate-history fantasy novel. Book three in the Alvin Maker series.
Red Prophet Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-022-9, Feb 2001, £6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by David OConner) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (Tor 1988) alternate-history fantasy novel. Book two in the Alvin Maker series.
Seventh Son Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-021-0, Feb 2001, £6.99, 241pp, pb, cover by David OConner) [Alvin Maker] Reprint (Tor 1987) alternate-history fantasy novel. The first book in the Alvin Maker"series.
Shadow of the Hegemon Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-037-7, Feb 2001, £16.99, 365pp, hc) [Ender: Shadow] SF novel, sequel to Enders Shadow, sixth in the overall Ender series. [First U.K. edition]
Shadow of the Hegemon Orson Scott Card (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-066-0, Oct 2001, £6.99, 444pp, pb, cover by Bob Warner) [Ender: Shadow] Reprint (Tor 2001) SF novel. Book Two of The Shadow Saga after Enders Shadow; sixth in the Ender series.
Killing Time Caleb Carr (Warner UK 0-7515-3075-1, Sep 2001, £6.99, 310pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) Reprint (Random House 2000) SF novel.
The Wooden Sea Jonathan Carroll (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07060-9, May 2001, £16.99, 247pp, hc, cover by Joe del Tufo) [Frannie McCabe] Reprint (Tor 2001) literary fantasy novel. Third in the loose Frannie McCabe trilogy after Kissing the Beehive and The Marriage of Sticks. [First U.K. edition]
Alices Adventures in Wonderland Lewis Carroll (Bloomsbury 0-7475-5368-8, Sep 2001, £9.99, xxii+169pp, hc) [Alice] Reprint (Macmillan 1865) classic satirical fantasy novel. Illustrated by Mervyn Peake, and with an introduction by Will Self.
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition Lewis Carroll (Allen Lane/The Penguin Press 0-71-399417-7, Dec 2000, £20.00, 334pp, hc) [Alice] Reprint (Potter 1960) omnibus of the two Alice books. Introduction and Notes by Martin Gardner. This is the latest revision (Norton 2000). [First U.K. edition]
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition Lewis Carroll (Penguin UK 0-140-28929-1, 2001, £9.99, xxxi+334pp, tp) [Alice] Reprint (Potter 1960) omnibus of Alices Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass with extensive notes and introduction by Martin Gardner. This is the latest revision (Norton 2000).
Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There Lewis Carroll (Bloomsbury 0-7475-5373-4, Sep 2001, £9.99, xvii+201pp, hc) [Alice] Reprint (Macmillan 1871) classic childrens satirical fantasy novel. Illustrated by Mervyn Peake, and with an introduction by Zadie Smith.
Sea-Cat and Dragon King Angela Carter (Bloomsbury 0-7475-4882-X, Oct 2000, £9.99, 94pp, hc) Childrens fantasy novella, illustrated by Eva Tatcheva.
Always Forever Mark Chadbourn (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07254-7, Sep 2001, £10.99, 451pp, tp, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Age of Misrule] Fantasy novel, third in the Age of Misrule trilogy. The champions must win over the uncaring Celtic gods to defeat the dark forces. A hardcover edition (-06682-2, £16.99) is also available.
Darkest Hour Mark Chadbourn (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-766-7, Sep 2001, £6.99, 467pp, pb, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Age of Misrule] Reprint (Gollancz 2000) fantasy novel. Book Two of The Age of Misrule"after Worlds End.
Jurassic Park Adventures: #2: Prey Scott Ciencin (Boxtree 0-7522-1979-0, Nov 2001, £3.99, 123pp, pb) [Jurassic Park] Reprint (Random House 2001) original young-adult novel based on the screenplay, Jurassic Park III. [First U.K. edition]
The Night of the Triffids Simon Clark (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-76600-X, Jun 2001, £17.99, ix+406pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Triffids] SF novel. A sequel to John Wyndhams The Day of the Triffids - set 25 years after the end of that novel - when the world is plunged into sudden, total darkness.
The Night of the Triffids Simon Clark (Hodder Headline/NEL 0-340-76601-8, Oct 2001, £6.99, ix+469pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Triffids] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2001) SF novel. A sequel to John Wyndhams The Day of the Triffids set 25 years later.
Childhoods End Arthur C. Clarke (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07263-6, Oct 2001, £14.99, 200pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Impact] Reprint (Ballantine 1953) SF novel. This is the revised (Pan 1990) version with its foreword by Clarke. Volume VI in the SF Masterworks hardcover series.
The City and the Stars Arthur C. Clarke (Orion/Millennium 1-85798-763-2, Mar 2001, £6.99, 255pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1956) classic dystopian SF novel, expanded and revised from Against the Fall of Night. Volume 39 in the SF Masterworks series.
The Collected Stories Arthur C. Clarke (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07065-X, Jan 2001, £20.00, x+966pp, hc, cover by blacksheep) Collection of all Clarkes published short fiction 104 vignettes, stories, and some articles, published between 1939 and 1999. All but a few have been included in earlier Clarke collections. Note that this magnificent collection does miss At the Mountains of Murkiness (1940), Against the Fall of Night (1948), When the Twerms Came (1972) and Tales from the White Hart (1990): The Jet-Propelled Time Machine (1990).
- ix · Foreword · fw
- 1 · Travel by Wire! · ss Amateur Science Stories Dec 37
- 5 · How We Went to Mars · ss Amateur Science Stories Mar 38
- 13 · Retreat from Earth · ss Amateur Science Stories Mar 38
- 22 · Reverie · ar New Worlds Aug 39
- 24 · The Awakening · ss Zenith Feb 42
- 27 · Whacky [as by Ego] · vi The Fantast Jul 42
- 29 · Loophole · ss Astounding Apr 46
- 35 · Rescue Party · nv Astounding May 46
- 56 · Technical Error · ss Fantasy, The Magazine of Science Fiction Dec 46
- 69 · Castaway [as by Charles Willis] · ss Fantasy, The Magazine of Science Fiction Apr 47
- 75 · The Fires Within [as by E. G. OBrien] · ss Fantasy, The Magazine of Science Fiction Aug 47
- 82 · Inheritance [as by Charles Willis] · ss New Worlds #3 47
- 89 · Nightfall · vi Kings College Review Dec 46
- 92 · History Lesson · ss Startling Stories May 49
- 99 · Transience · ss Startling Stories Jul 49
- 104 · The Wall of Darkness · ss Super Science Stories Jul 49
- 119 · The Lion of Comarre · nv Thrilling Wonder Stories Aug 49
- 155 · The Forgotten Enemy · ss Kings College Review Dec 48
- 160 · Hide-and-Seek · ss Astounding Sep 49
- 169 · Breaking Strain [Thirty Seconds Thirty Days] · nv Thrilling Wonder Stories Dec 49
- 191 · Nemesis [Exile of the Eons] · ss Super Science Stories Mar 50
- 203 · Guardian Angel · nv Famous Fantastic Mysteries Apr 50
- 225 · Times Arrow · ss Science-Fantasy #1 50
- 236 · A Walk in the Dark · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Aug 50
- 244 · Silence Please [as by Charles Willis; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Science-Fantasy #2 50
- 253 · Trouble with the Natives [The Men in the Flying Saucer] · ss Lilliput Feb 51
- 263 · The Road to the Sea [Seeker of the Sphinx] · nv Two Complete Science-Adventure Books Spr 51
- 301 · The Sentinel [Sentinel of Eternity] · ss Ten Story Fantasy Spr 51
- 309 · Holiday on the Moon [as by Charles Willis] · nv The Heiress Jan 51 (+3)
- 332 · Earthlight · nv Thrilling Wonder Stories Aug 51
- 371 · Second Dawn · nv Science Fiction Quarterly Aug 51
- 395 · Superiority · ss F&SF Aug 51
- 404 · If I Forget Thee, Oh Earth... · ss Future Sep 51
- 407 · All the Time in the World · ss Startling Stories Jul 52
- 417 · The Nine Billion Names of God · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #1, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1953
- 423 · The Possessed · ss Dynamic Science Fiction Mar 53
- 428 · The Parasite · ss Avon SF&F Reader Apr 53
- 437 · Jupiter Five · nv If May 53
- 460 · Encounter in the Dawn · ss Amazing Jun/Jul 53
- 469 · The Other Tiger · vi Fantastic Universe Jun/Jul 53
- 472 · Publicity Campaign · ss London Evening News Jun 9 53
- 476 · Armaments Race [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Adventure Apr 54
- 482 · The Deep Range · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #3, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1954
- 489 · No Morning After · ss Time to Come, ed. August Derleth, Farrar, 1954
- 494 · Big Game Hunt [The Reckless Ones; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Adventure Oct 56
- 499 · Patent Pending [The Invention; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Argosy Nov 54
- 507 · Refugee [contest story, original title This Earth of Majesty] · ss F&SF Jul 55; ; as Royal Prerogative, New Worlds Jan 57
- 517 · The Star [Star of Bethlehem] · ss Infinity Science Fiction Nov 55
- 522 · What Goes Up [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss F&SF Jan 56
- 530 · Venture to the Moon · gp The (London) Evening Standard May 56; The Starting Line [Double-Crossed in Outer Space], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 23 56; Robin Hood, F.R.S. [Saved! By a Bow and Arrow], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 24 56; Green Fingers [Death Strikes Surov], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 25 56; All That Glitters [Diamonds! ... and then divorce], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 26 56; Watch This Space [Who Wrote That Message to the Stars? ...in Letters a Thousand Miles Long?], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 28 56; A Question of Residence [Alone on the Moon], ss The (London) Evening Standard May 29 56
- 550 · The Pacifist [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Fantastic Universe Oct 56
- 558 · The Reluctant Orchid [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Satellite Dec 56
- 566 · Moving Spirit [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Tales from the White Hart, Ballantine, 1957
- 576 · The Defenestration of Ermintrude Inch [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Tales from the White Hart, Ballantine, 1957
- 581 · The Ultimate Melody [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss If Feb 57
- 587 · The Next Tenants [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Satellite Feb 57
- 594 · Cold War [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Satellite Apr 57
- 600 · Sleeping Beauty [The Case of the Snoring Heir; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Infinity Science Fiction Apr 57
- 608 · Security Check · ss London Evening News Jan 13 56
- 612 · The Man Who Ploughed the Sea [Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Satellite Jun 57
- 625 · Critical Mass [revised from Lilliput Mar 49; Harry Purvis (White Hart)] · ss Space Science Fiction Magazine Aug 57
- 631 · The Other Side of the Sky · gp Infinity Science Fiction Sep 57 (+1); Special Delivery, ss Infinity Science Fiction Sep 57; Feathered Friend, ss Infinity Science Fiction Sep 57; Take a Deep Breath, ss Infinity Science Fiction Sep 57; Freedom of Space, ss Infinity Science Fiction Oct 57; Passer-By, ss Infinity Science Fiction Oct 57; The Call of the Stars, ss Infinity Science Fiction Oct 57
- 647 · Let There Be Light · ss Dundee Sunday Telegraph Sep 5 57
- 652 · Out of the Sun · ss If Feb 58
- 658 · Cosmic Casanova · ss Venture May 58
- 664 · The Songs of Distant Earth · nv If Jun 58
- 687 · A Slight Case of Sunstroke [The Stroke of the Sun] · ss Galaxy Sep 58
- 693 · Whos There? · ss New Worlds Nov 58
- 697 · Out of the Cradle, Endlessly Orbiting... · ss Dude Mar 59
- 702 · I Remember Babylon · ss Playboy May 60
- 711 · Trouble with Time [Crime on Mars] · ss EQMM Jul 60
- 716 · Into the Comet [Inside the Comet] · ss F&SF Oct 60
- 724 · Summertime on Icarus [The Hottest Piece of Real Estate in the Solar System] · ss Vogue Jun 60
- 733 · Saturn Rising · ss F&SF Mar 61
- 742 · Death and the Senator · nv Analog May 61
- 758 · Before Eden · ss Amazing Jun 61
- 767 · Hate [At the End of the Orbit] · nv If Nov 61
- 779 · Love That Universe · ss Escapade, 1967
- 782 · Dog Star [Moondog] · ss Galaxy Apr 62
- 787 · Maelstrom II · ss Playboy Apr 65
- 798 · An Ape About the House · ss Dude May 62
- 804 · The Shining Ones · ss Playboy Aug 64
- 817 · The Secret [The Secret of the Men in the Moon] · ss This Week Aug 11 63
- 822 · Dial F for Frankenstein · ss Playboy Jan 65
- 828 · The Wind from the Sun [Sunjammer] · nv Boys Life Mar 64
- 843 · The Food of the Gods · ss Playboy May 64
- 847 · The Last Command · vi Bizarre! Mystery Magazine Nov 65
- 849 · The Light of Darkness · ss Playboy Jun 66
- 854 · The Longest Science-Fiction Story Ever Told [A Recursion in Metastories] · vi Galaxy Oct 66
- 855 · Playback · ss Playboy Dec 66
- 858 · The Cruel Sky · nv Boys Life Jul 67 (+1)
- 873 · Herbert George Morley Roberts Wells, Esq. · ed If Dec 67
- 875 · Crusade · ss The Farthest Reaches, ed. Joseph Elder, Trident, 1968
- 879 · Neutron Tide · vi Galaxy May 70
- 881 · Reunion · vi Infinity #2, ed. Robert Hoskins, Lancer, 1971
- 883 · Transit of Earth · ss Playboy Jan 71
- 894 · A Meeting with Medusa · nv Playboy Dec 71
- 928 · Quarantine · vi IASFM Spr 77
- 929 · siseneG · vi Analog May 84
- 930 · The Steam-Powered Word Processor · fa Analog Sep 86
- 935 · On Golden Seas · vi The Newsletter of the Pentagons Defense Science Board Aug 86
- 938 · The Hammer of God · ss Time Sep 28 92
- 948 · The Wire Continuum · Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter · ss Playboy Jan 98
- 965 · Improving the Neighbourhood · vi Nature Nov 4 99