! Copyright (c) 2005 by William G. Contento >
Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2001
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Taggerung Brian Jacques (Hutchinson 0-09-176928-0, Aug 2001, £14.99, 437pp, hc, cover by Fangorn) [Redwall] Young-adult fantasy novel. Book 14 in the Redwall series. Illustrated by Peter Standley.
Vadim Donald James (Random House UK/Century 0-7126-8419-0, Jan 2001, £10.00, 408pp, tp) [Monstrum] Thriller, third in a near-future series after Monstrum and The Fortune Teller. 2020: a Russia-wide plague, its fleeing emigrants, and a murderous US Presidential campaign. A hardcover edition (-8442-5, £16.99) was announced but not seen.
Vadim Donald James (Random House/Arrow 0-09-941064-8, Oct 2001, £6.99, 502pp, pb) [Monstrum] Reprint (Century 2001) thriller set in 2020, with plague in Russia, its fleeing emigrants, and a murderous US Presidential campaign. Third in a series after Monstrum and The Fortune Teller.
Host Peter James (Orion 0-75283-745-1, Dec 2000, £6.99, 624pp, pb) Reprint (Gollancz 1993) fantasy novel.
Intrigues of the Reflected Realm: Deathscent Robin Jarvis (Collins 0-00-185702-9, Apr 2001, £12.99, 503pp, hc) Young-adult alternate-world fantasy novel. First in a new series. In the 178th year of the reign of Elizabeth Tudor, Queen of the animal-less isles of Englandia, a stranger brings change, invention, and chaos.
A Warlock in Whitby Robin Jarvis (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-78869-0, Feb 2001, £5.99, 342pp, tp, cover by Robin Jarvis) [Whitby] Reprint (Sprint 1992) young-adult fantasy novel. Book 2 in The Whitby Witches series.
The Whitby Child Robin Jarvis (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-78870-4, Feb 2001, £5.99, 423pp, tp, cover by Robin Jarvis) [Whitby] Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 1994) young-adult fantasy novel. Book 3 in The Whitby Witches series.
The Whitby Witches Robin Jarvis (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-78868-2, Feb 2001, £5.99, 308pp, tp, cover by Robin Jarvis) [Whitby] Reprint (Sprint 1991) young-adult fantasy novel. Book 1 in The Whitby Witches series.
Shiva 2000 Jan Lars Jensen (Pan 0-330-39237-9, Mar 2001, £5.99, 405pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1999) SF novel. The gods of the Hindu pantheon walk far-future Earth.
Bladerunner 4: Eye & Talon K. W. Jeter (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-867-1, Dec 2001, £6.99, 236pp, pb) [Blade Runner] Reprint (Gollancz 2000) SF novel, the fourth based on the movie and Philip K. Dicks Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.
The Frighteners Pete Johnson (Transworld/Corgi Yearling 0-440-86437-2, Apr 2001, £4.99, 160pp, tp, cover by Paul Young) Young-adult dark fantasy novel. A boy can make his pictures of monsters come to life.
The House of Dust Paul Johnston (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-76612-3, Jun 2001, £16.99, 406pp, hc) [Quinn (Quintilian) Dalrymple] SF novel. Fifth in the Dalrymple series set in the Edinburgh city-state of 2028.
Archers Goon Diana Wynne Jones (Collins 0-00-675527-5, Dec 2000, £4.99, 316pp, tp, cover by Paul Hess) Reprint (Morrow/Greenwillow 1984) young-adult fantasy novel. A hardcover edition (-185740-1, £9.99) was announced but not seen.
Cart and Cwidder Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-275083-6, Apr 2001, £4.99, 186pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1975) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 1 in the Dalemark Quartet.
The Crown of Dalemark Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-271835-5, 2000, £6.99, 346pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Mandarin 1993) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 4 in the Dalemark Quartet. Published in 2000, but not seen until now.
The Crown of Dalemark Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-275080-1, Sep 2001, £4.99, 346pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Mandarin 1993) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume four in the Dalemark Quartet.
Drowned Ammet Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-275082-8, Apr 2001, £4.99, 277pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1977) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 2 in the Dalemark Quartet.
The Spellcoats Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-271834-7, Sep 2001, £6.99, 241pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1979) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume 3 in the Dalemark Quartet. Published in 2000, but not seen until now.
The Spellcoats Diana Wynne Jones (Oxford University Press 0-19-275081-X, Sep 2001, £4.99, 241pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Dalemark Quartet] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1979) young-adult fantasy novel. Volume three in the Dalemark Quartet.
The Time of the Ghost Diana Wynne Jones (Collins 0-00-711217-3, Mar 2001, £4.99, 222pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) Reprint (Macmillan UK 1981) young-adult fantasy novel. A hardcover edition was announced but not seen.
Year of the Griffin Diana Wynne Jones (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-788-8, Jul 2001, £6.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Dark Lord of Derkholm] Reprint (Greenwillow; Gollancz 2000) humorous fantasy novel, sequel to Dark Lord of Derkholm.
Bold as Love Gwyneth Jones (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07030-7, Aug 2001, £16.99, 308pp, hc, cover by Anne Sudworth) [Bold as Love] Near-future fantasy novel, the first in a series. A trade paperback edition (-07031-5, £9.99) was announced but not seen.
The Ghost Hunters House of Horror Ivan Jones (Scholastic UK 0-439-99805-0, Jan 2001, £3.99, 188pp, tp) Young-adult novelisation of the fantasy BBC TV serial. A TV tie-in edition.
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwing ed. Neil Jones & David Pringle (Black Library 1-84154-154-0, Nov 2001, £5.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Paul Dainton) [Warhammer 40,000] Reprint (GW Books 1990) anthology of 10 future war stories, set in the role-playing universe. This edition adds three stories, all reprints.
Warhammer 40,000: Deathwing ed. Neil Jones & David Pringle (Black Library 1-84154-154-0, Nov 2001, £5.99, 283pp, pb) [Warhammer 40,000] Reprint (GW Books 1990 as edited by Neil Jones & David Pringle) anthology of ten stories based on the role-playing game. This adds three stories to the earlier edition. Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
Creepshows: The Illustrated Stephen King Movie Guide Stephen Jones (Titan Books 1-84023-309-5, Sep 2001, £16.99, 192pp, tp, cover by Bernie Wrightson) Non-fiction guide to movies based on works by Stephen King. Introduction by Mick Garris. This includes an interview with King, a selected bibliography, and an index.
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Volume Twelve ed. Stephen Jones (Robinson 1-84119-292-9, Oct 2001, £6.99, 494pp, tp, cover by Les Edwards) Annual dark fantasy anthology of 22 stories, including works by Caitlín R. Kiernan, Kathryn Ptacek, Ramsey Campbell, and Kim Newman. There is a long introduction on the year in horror, and a necrology by Jones and Kim Newman.
- 1 · Introduction: Horror in 2000 · The Editor · in
- 73 · Castle in the Desert [Dracula; Johnny Alucard] · Kim Newman · ss Sci Fiction website Jun 14, 2000
- 92 · The Keeper of the Rothenstein Tomb · Iain Sinclair · ss The Time Out Book of London Short Stories: Volume 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Penguin, 2000
- 106 · Forever Gramma · Mick Garris · ss Life in the Cinema, 2000
- 122 · At Home in the Pubs of Old London · Christopher Fowler · ss Dark Terrors 5: The Gollancz Book of Horror, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, Gollancz, 2000
- 135 · In the Water Works (Birmingham, Alabama 1988) · Caitlín R. Kiernan · ss Tales of Pain and Wonder, Gauntlet Press, 2000
- 149 · Bone Orchards [Mr. Carlyle] · Paul J. McAuley · ss The Time Out Book of London Short Stories: Volume 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Penguin, 2000
- 161 · No Strings · Ramsey Campbell · ss Shadows and Silence, ed. Barbara Roden & Christopher Roden, Ash-Tree Press, 2000
- 170 · The Grotto · Kathryn Ptacek · ss Graven Images, ed. Nancy Kilpatrick & Thomas S. Roche, Ace, 2000
- 188 · Merry Roderick · Geoffrey Warburton · ss All Hallows #23, 2000
- 199 · Climbing Down from Heaven · Terry Lamsley · nv Dark Matters, Ash-Tree Press, 2000
- 232 · Empty Stations · Nicholas Royle · ss Ambit #161, 2000
- 241 · Flesh of Leaves, Bones of Desire · Charlee Jacob · ss Brainbox: The Real Horror, ed. Steve Eller, Irrational Press, 2000
- 248 · The Repulsion · Tim Lebbon · ss Extremes, 2000
- 261 · The Detailer · Dennis Etchison · ss Horror Garage #1, 2000
- 274 · Coming Home · Mark Morris · ss Taps and Sighs, ed. Peter Crowther, Subterranean Press, 2000
- 282 · The Hunger of the Leaves · Joel Lane · ss Swords Against the Millennium, ed. Mike Chinn, Alchemy Press/Saladoth Productions, 2000
- 291 · Xenos Beach · Graham Joyce · ss The Third Alternative #23, 2000
- 307 · At Eventide · Kathe Koja · ss Graven Images, ed. Nancy Kilpatrick & Thomas S. Roche, Ace, 2000
- 317 · Pareidolia · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss City Fishing, Silver Salamander Press, 2000
- 326 · I Have a Special Plan for This World · Thomas Ligotti · nv Horror Garage #2, 2000
- 350 · The Handover · Michael Marshall Smith · ss Dark Terrors 5: The Gollancz Book of Horror, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, Gollancz, 2000
- 360 · The Other Side of Midnight [Dracula; Johnny Alucard] · Kim Newman · na Vampire Sextette, ed. Marvin Kaye, SFBC, 2000
- 447 · Necrology: 2000 · Stephen Jones & Kim Newman · bg
- 488 · Useful Addresses · Stephen Jones · ms
The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women ed. Stephen Jones (Robinson 1-84119-297-X, Sep 2001, £6.99, 624pp, tp, cover by Les Edwards) Anthology of 33 dark fantasy stories and a poem (15 original) with an Introduction by Ingrid Pitt. Authors include Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite, and Nancy A. Collins.
- 1 · Introduction: My Life Among the Undead · Ingrid Pitt · in *
- 7 · The Master of Rampling Gate [expanded from Redbook Feb 84] · Anne Rice · nv The Ultimate Dracula, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor & Megan Miller, Dell, 1991
- 25 · Homewrecker · Poppy Z. Brite · ss GettingIt.Com, 1998; slightly revised.
- 29 · When Gretchen Was Human · Mary Turzillo · ss *
- 44 · The Vengeful Spirit of Lake Nepeakea [Victory Vicki Nelson] · Tanya Huff · nv What Ho, Magic!, Meisha Merlin, 1999
- 77 · La Diente · Nancy Kilpatrick · ss *
- 92 · Miss Massingberd and the Vampire · Tina Rath · ss Womans Realm Jan 25 86
- 97 · The Raven Bound [Blood Wine] · Freda Warrington · ss *; Originally published in French in De Sang et dEncre, ed. Lea Silhol, 1999
- 111 · Vampire King of the Goth Chicks: From the Journals of Sonja Blue [Sonja Blue] · Nancy A. Collins · ss Cemetery Dance #28 98; Originally a comic-book script, The Real Thing, in graphic Weird Business (co-ed Joe Lansdale) Mojo Press, 1995.
- 126 · Just His Type · Storm Constantine · ss *
- 145 · Prince of Flowers · Elizabeth Hand · ss Twilight Zone Feb 88
- 161 · Services Rendered · Louise Cooper · nv *
- 189 · Aftermath · Janet Berliner · ss Jerusalem by Night, a Vampire: The Dark Ages sourcebook, White Wolf Game Studio, 1999
- 197 · One Among Millions · Yvonne Navarro · ss The Many Faces of Fantasy Souvenir Book, World Fantasy Convention, 1996
- 211 · Luella Miller · Mary E. Wilkins-Freeman · ss Everybodys Magazine Dec 02
- 225 · Sangre · Lisa Tuttle · ss Fantastic Jun 77
- 236 · A Question of Patronage: A Saint-Germain Story [Saint-Germain] · Chelsea Quinn Yarbro · nv Vampire Stories, Transylvania Press, 1994
- 258 · Hisako San · Ingrid Pitt · ss *
- 271 · Butternut and Blood · Kathryn Ptacek · ss Confederacy of the Dead, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Roc, 1993
- 284 · Sleeping Cities · Wendy Webb · ss *
- 294 · The Haunted House [as by E. Bland] · E. Nesbit · ss The Strand Dec 13
- 307 · Turkish Delight · Roberta Lannes · nv *
- 329 · Venus Rising on Water · Tanith Lee · nv IASFM Oct 91
- 354 · Year Zero · Gemma Files · nv *
- 380 · Good Lady Ducayne · Mary Elizabeth Braddon · nv The Strand Feb, 1896
- 407 · Lunch at Charons · Melanie Tem · ss *
- 422 · Forever, Amen · Elizabeth Massie · nv *
- 456 · Night Laughter · Ellen Kushner · ss After Midnight, ed. Charles L. Grant, Tor, 1986
- 461 · Bootleg · Christa Faust · ss *
- 481 · Outfangthief · Gala Blau · ss *
- 500 · My Brothers Keeper · Pat Cadigan · nv IASFM Jan 88
- 537 · So Runs the World Away · Caitlín R. Kiernan · ss *
- 556 · A North Light · Gwyneth Jones · ss *
- 571 · Jack · Connie Willis · na IASFM Oct 91
- 622 · Vampyr · Jane Yolen · pm *
Dark Terrors 5: The Gollancz Book of Horror ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-322-X, Oct 2001, £6.99, 562pp, tp, cover by Bill Sienkiewicz) Reprint (Gollancz 2000) anthology of 31 original dark fantasy stories.
Winters Heart Robert Jordan (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-071-7, Nov 2001, £7.99, 691pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Wheel of Time] Reprint (Tor; Orbit 2000) fantasy novel. Book Nine of The Wheel of Time.
The Last Jet-Engine Laugh Ruchir Joshi (HarperCollins/Flamingo 0-00-257089-0, May 2001, £16.99, 376+vi, hc) SF novel. The story of an Indian family from the 1930s to 2030, filtered through the memories and diaries of a female fighter pilot in 2030.
A Dreamer and a Visionary: H.P. Lovecraft in His Time S. T. Joshi (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-946-0, Apr 2001, £17.95, ix+422pp, tp, cover by Salvator Rosa) Critical biography of H.P. Lovecraft. Includes notes and index. A hardcover edition (-936-3, £44.95) was announced but not seen. [H. P. Lovecraft]
Ramsey Campbell and Modern Horror Fiction S. T. Joshi (Liverpool University Press 0-85323-775-1, Jun 2001, £14.95, x+180pp, tp) Non-fiction, a critical analysis of Campbells work, examining major themes and most significant works. Includes a memoir by Campbell, and primary and secondary bibliographies. A hardcover edition (-765-4, £34.95) was announced but not seen. [Ramsey Campbell]
Smoking Poppy Graham Joyce (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07229-6, Oct 2001, £12.99, 227pp, hc, cover by blacksheep) Mainstream contemporary novel with fantasy elements. An estranged father seeks his drug-addicted daughter in the jails and jungles of Thailand.
The Burning Times Jeanne Kalogridis (HarperCollins UK 0-00-225991-5, Apr 2001, £16.99, 385pp, hc) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 2001) historical fantasy novel set in 14th century Europe. A midwife trained in pagan magic is forced to join the Franciscan nuns to avoid the Inquisition. Kalogridis also writes as J.M. Dillard. [First U.K. edition]
Alone (in the Dark) Paul Kane (BJM Press, Jul 2000, £4.00, 98pp, tp) Collection of 12 horror stories reprinted from small press magazines.
- 2 · Under Cover of Darkness · John B. Ford · in
- 3 · Dangerous World · pm
- 7 · Alone · ss
- 14 · Biorhythms · ss
- 23 · In the House of Magritte (1898-1967) · ss The Dream Zone #8, 2001
- 32 · Net Curtains · ss
- 37 · The Last Temptation of Alice Crump · ss Dead Things Magazine #1 99
- 46 · The Weeping Woman · ss
- 50 · Pay the Piper · ss
- 59 · The Cyclops · ss
- 67 · Sabbat · ss Penny Dreadful #13, 2000
- 72 · Master of the White Worms [Dalton Quayle] · ss *
- 85 · Remembrance · ss
- 90 · Eye of the Beholder · ss *
The Lions of Al-Rassan Guy Gavriel Kay (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-1508-6, Aug 2001, £6.99, 592pp, pb, cover by Bill Gregory) Reprint (Viking Canada 1995) fantasy novel.
Lord of Emperors Guy Gavriel Kay (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-0825-X, Mar 2001, £6.99, 531pp, pb, cover by Bill Gregory) [Sarantine Mosaic] Reprint (Viking Canada; Earthlight UK 2000) historical fantasy novel. Book II of The Sarantine Mosaic after Sailing to Sarantium.
A Song for Arbonne Guy Gavriel Kay (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight 0-7434-1509-4, Jul 2001, £6.99, 608pp, pb, cover by Bill Gregory) Reprint (Viking Canada 1992) fantasy novel.
The Second Empire Paul Kearney (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-751-9, May 2001, £5.99, 294pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) [Monarchies of God] Reprint (Gollancz 2000) fantasy novel. Book Four of The Monarchies of God.
The Quality of Light Christopher Kenworthy (Serpents Tail 1-85242-656-X, Nov 2001, £10.00, 208pp, tp, cover by Robin Cracknell) Literary fantasy novel, based on Pilotage (in Will You Hold Me?).
The Fire Dragon Katharine Kerr (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-648261-9, Aug 2001, £6.99, 447pp, pb, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Deverry: Dragon Mage] Reprint (Voyager 2000) fantasy novel. Book Three of The Dragon Mage; eleventh overall in the Deverry sequence.
Polar City Nightmare Katharine Kerr & Kate Daniel (Orion/Gollancz 1-85798-783-7, May 2001, £6.99, 357pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Polar City] Reprint (Gollancz 2000) SF novel, set in the world of Polar City Blues.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest Greg Keyes (Random House/Arrow 0-09-941028-1, Apr 2001, £5.99, 291pp, pb, cover by Terese Nielsen) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory] Reprint (Del Rey Lucasbooks 2001) original novel based in the Star Wars universe. [First U.K. edition]
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory II: Rebirth Greg Keyes (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-941044-3, Aug 2001, £5.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Terese Nielsen) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory] Reprint (Del Rey Lucasbooks 2001) Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm Ltd. [First U.K. edition]
Gaslight Geezers Garry Kilworth (Transworld/Corgi 0-552-54704-2, Jul 2001, £4.99, 382pp, pb, cover by John Howe) [Welkin Weasels: Montague Sylver] Young-adult animal fantasy novel. First in a new sub-series of the Welkin Weasels books. Illustrations by Dave Hopkins.
The Knot Garden Gabriel King (Random House/Arrow 0-09-929700-0, Nov 2001, £5.99, 495pp, pb) [Wild Road] Reprint (Century 2001) feline fantasy novel in the Wild Roads sequence. King is a pseudonym for Jane Johnson and M. John Harrison.
Dreamcatcher Stephen King (Hodder & Stoughton 0-340-77071-6, Mar 2001, £17.99, 599pp, hc) SF/dark fantasy novel. A trade paperback edition (-79235-3, £10.00) is also available. Simultaneous with the US (Scribner) edition.
On Writing Stephen King (Hodder Headline/NEL 0-340-82046-2, Sep 2001, £6.99, xv+367pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) Reprint (Scribner; Hodder & Stoughton 2000) non-fiction, a combination of how-to book and autobiography. This edition adds the story Jumper by Garrett Adams, chosen by King as winner of the competition run by Hodder & Stoughton and the Observer.
The Black House Stephen King & Peter Straub (HarperCollins UK 0-00-710042-6, Sep 2001, £17.99, 625pp, hc) [Talisman] Fantasy novel, a sequel to The Talisman; also connected to the Dark Tower series. A middle-America police chief tries to persuade an ex-detective to join the hunt for a serial child-killer, a hunt that will lead beyond the world. Simultaneous with the US (Random House) edition.
Warhammer: Beastslayer William King (Black Library 1-84154-137-0, Feb 2001, £5.99, 273pp, pb, cover by Adrian Smith) [Warhammer: Gotrek & Felix] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing games, fifth in the Gotrek & Felix series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop.