Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Mars Probes ed. Peter Crowther (DAW 0-7564-0088-0, Jun 2002, $6.99, 315pp, pb) Original anthology of 16 stories, one a reprint, about Mars explorations. Authors include James Morrow, Michael Moorcock, Paul McAuley, and Stephen Baxter. Introduction by Patrick Moore. Greenberg is not named as editor, but appears on the copyright page as Tekno Books.
Forgotten Realms: The Wizardwar Elaine Cunningham (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2704-6, Mar 2002, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by John Foster) [Forgotten Realms: Counselors & Kings] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game, Counselors & Kings Book III. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey Elaine Cunningham (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-42869-2, Feb 2002, $6.99, 301pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey Elaine Cunningham (SFBC #50150, Apr 2002, $9.99, 301pp, hc, cover by Stephen B. Anderson) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Reprint (Del Rey 2002) Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Named Marianne Curley (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-779-4, Oct 2002, $16.95, 333pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novel, first in a trilogy. Ethans secret group, The Named, fights The Order, which uses time-travel to change history. First US edition (Bloomsbury 7/02).
Old Magic Marianne Curley (Simon Pulse 0-7434-3769-1, Mar 2002, $5.99, 319pp, pb, cover by Jeanne M. Lee) Young-adult fantasy time-slip novel. Two Australian teens must travel back in time to break an evil curse. A first novel. First US edition (Bloomsbury 2000).
The Egyptian Box Jane Louise Curry (Simon & Schuster/McElderry 0-689-84273-2, Apr 2002, $16.00, 186pp, hc, cover by Robert Crawford) Young-adult fantasy novel. A girl likes having an ancient Egyptian spirit serve her until it starts taking over her life.
Daughter of the Dark Louise Cusack (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight Australia 0-7318-1060-0, Jun 2002, A$17.95, 427pp, pb, cover by Vivien Kubbos) [Shadow Through Time] Fantasy novel, the second book in the Shadow Through Time trilogy.
To Trade the Stars Julie E. Czerneda (DAW 0-7564-0075-9, Jun 2002, $6.99, 479pp, pb) [Trade Pact Universe] SF novel, third in the Trade Pact Universe trilogy.
To Trade the Stars Julie E. Czerneda (SFBC #51961, Jul 2002, $9.99, 479pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Trade Pact Universe] Reprint (DAW 2002) SF novel, third in the trade pact universe.
Explorer ed. Julie E. Czerneda (Trifolium Books 1-55244-022-2, Feb 2002, $11.95, 99pp, tp, cover by Jean-Pierre Normand) Young-adult original anthology of five SF stories, second in the Tales from the Wonder Zone series for young readers. Introduction by C.J. Cherryh. Illustrated by Jean-Pierre Normand. Trifolium Books, 250 Merton St, Suite 203, Toronto Ontario Canada M4S 1B1; (416) 483-7211; [email@example.com]; [www.trifoliumbooks.com].
James and the Giant Peach Roald Dahl (Random House/Knopf 0-375-81424-8, Sep 2002, $15.95, 146pp, hc, cover by Quentin Blake) Reissue (Knopf 1961) young-adult fantasy novel. Illustrated by Quentin Blake. There is an unpaginated six-page interview with Dahl. This has a new ISBN and indicates first printing.
Skin and Other Stories Roald Dahl (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-131034-0, Jan 2002, $7.99, 212pp, tp, cover by Bill Gregory) Reprint (Michael Joseph 1991 as part of The Collected Short Stories of Roald Dahl) young-adult collection of 11 stories originally written for adults, here selected for teens.
The Twits Roald Dahl (Random House/Knopf 0-375-82242-9, Sep 2002, $15.95, 76pp, hc, cover by Quentin Blake) Reprint (Cape 1980) young-adult fantasy novella, illustrated by Quentin Blake. This includes an unpaginated six-page interview with Dahl.
A Fairys Child Ann Dahlgren & Douglas Foulke (Abrams 0-8109-0551-5, Apr 2002, $19.95, 80pp, hc, cover by Ann Dahlgren & Douglas Foulke) Art book of 80 photos of fairies, with 15 pieces of fairy poetry by authors including Robert Graves, William Shakespeare, and Robert Louis Stevenson.
Phantastic Book of Ghost Stories ed. Richard Dalby (MetroBooks 1-58663-736-3, Sep 2002, $12.98, 654pp, hc) Reprint (Robinson 1990 as The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories) anthology of 52 ghost stories. This is an instant remainder edition.
Water Book One: Ascension Kara Dalkey (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-440808-6, Feb 2002, $4.99, 235pp, pb, cover by Dan Craig) [Water] Young-adult fantasy novel of Atlantis, first in the Water trilogy. The mermyd Nia dreams of being one of the ruling Avatars of Atlantis.
Water Book Three: Transformation Kara Dalkey (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-440810-8, Jun 2002, $4.99, 233pp, tp, cover by Dan Craig) [Water] Young-adult fantasy novel of a mermyd of Atlantis, third in the Water trilogy.
Water Book Two: Reunion Kara Dalkey (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-440809-4, Apr 2002, $4.99, 233pp, pb, cover by Dan Craig) [Water] Young-adult fantasy novel of a mermyd of Atlantis, second in the Water trilogy.
Servants of Chaos Don DAmmassa (Leisure 0-8439-5069-2, Dec 2002, $5.99, 338pp, pb) Lovecraftian horror novel. Something evil lurks in the waters off Crayport, Massachusetts.
Incas, Book 2: The Gold of Cuzco A. B. Daniel (Simon & Schuster/Touchstone 0-7434-3275-4, Dec 2002, $14.00, 373pp, tp) [Incas] Historical novel with fantasy elements, second in a trilogy. The Spanish plunder the Incan capital. Translated by Alex Gilly from the French (XO Editions 2001 as Inca: LOr de Cuzco. Daniel is a pen name for Antoine Audouard & Jean-Daniel Baltassat. First US edition (Simon & Schuster UK 10/02).
Incas, Book I: The Pumas Shadow A. B. Daniel (Simon & Schuster/Scribner 0-7434-3274-6, Aug 2002, $14.00, 350pp, tp) [Incas] Historical novel with fantasy elements, first in a trilogy. A young woman is entrusted with the secrets of a dying Incan emperor just before the Spanish arrive. Translated by Alex Gilly from the French (XO Editions 2001 as Inca: Princesse du Soleil). Daniel is a pen name for Antoine Audouard, Jean-Daniel Baltassat, & Bertrand Houette. First US edition (Simon & Schuster UK 2002).
Metaplanetary Tony Daniel (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-102025-7, Jul 2002, $7.99, 530pp, pb, cover by Gregory Bridges) [Metaplanetary] Reprint (Eos 2001) SF novel.
Desperate Alliances Cory Daniells (Bantam 0-553-58103-1, Jun 2002, $5.99, 421pp, pb, cover by Franco Accornero) [Last TEn] Fantasy romance novel, third in The Last TEn trilogy.
Counting Coup Jack Dann (Tor/Forge 0-765-30186-5, Sep 2002, $13.95, 305pp, tp) Reprint (Flamingo Australia 2000 as Bad Medicine) fantasy/magical realism road novel.
Jubilee Jack Dann (Tor 0-765-30676-X, Jan 2003, $27.95, 441pp, hc, cover by Jon D. Hamilton) Collection of 17 stories, one original and one previously only published online, with an afterword by Dann on his sources of inspiration. Introduction by John Kessel. First US edition (Voyager Australia 2001).
Beyond Flesh ed. Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois (Ace 0-441-00999-9, Dec 2002, $6.50, 260 + xi, pb, cover by Jan Franz) SF anthology of ten stories of human life without the limitations of the flesh. Authors include Poul Anderson, Greg Egan, and Paul J. McAuley.
Future Sports ed. Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois (Ace 0-441-00961-1, Jul 2002, $5.99, 257pp, pb, cover by Ben Gibson) SF anthology with ten SF sports stories. Authors include Arthur C. Clarke, Howard Waldrop, and Michael Swanwick.
Song of the Axe John R. Dann (Tor/Forge 0-812-58950-5, Jul 2002, $7.99, 613pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Song of the Axe] Reprint (Forge 2001) prehistorical fantasy novel.
Exalted: Beloved of the Dead Richard E. Dansky (White Wolf 1-58846-801-1, Apr 2002, $6.50, 286pp, pb, cover by Ghislain Barbe) [Trilogy of the Second Age] Novelization, first in the Trilogy of the Second Age based on the role-playing game set pre-World of Darkness. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
Exalted: Children of the Dragon Richard E. Dansky (White Wolf 1-58846-801-1, Sep 2002, $6.50, 283pp, pb, cover by Ghislain Barbe) [Trilogy of the Second Age] Novelization, third in the Trilogy of the Second Age based on the role-playing game set pre-World of Darkness. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
Frightful Fairy Tales Dame Darcy (Ten Speed Press 1-58008-464-8, Nov 2002, $14.95, 109pp, tp, cover by Dame Darcy) Original collection of six fairy tales, written and illustrated by Darcy.
The Ill-Made Mute Cecilia Dart-Thornton (Warner Aspect 0-446-61080-1, Apr 2002, $6.99, 557pp, pb, cover by Daniel Craig) [Bitterbynde] Reprint (Warner Aspect 2001) fantasy novel, book one of The Bitterbynde.
The Lady of the Sorrows Cecilia Dart-Thornton (Pan Macmillan Australia/Tor 0-7329-1120-6, Jan 2002, A$25.00, 477pp, tp, cover by Paul Gregory) [Bitterbynde] Fantasy novel, book two of The Bitterbynde after The Ill-Made Mute. Imrhien goes to court disguised as a lady of the Sorrow Islands.
The Lady of the Sorrows Cecilia Dart-Thornton (Warner Aspect 0-446-52803-X, Apr 2002, $24.95, 461pp, hc, cover by Daniel Craig) [Bitterbynde] Fantasy novel, book two of The Bitterbynde after The Ill-Made Mute. Imrhien goes to court disguised as a lady of the Sorrow Islands. First US edition (Pan Macmillan Australia 1/02).
Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-105782-7, Nov 2002, $7.99, 404 + xxiv, pb) Reprint (HarperPrism 1998) original anthology of 22 stories of weird sex.
The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Viking 0-670-03526-2, May 2002, $18.99, 384pp, hc) Original YA/adult crossover anthology of 15 stories and three poems about the green man and other nature spirits. Authors include Charles de Lint, Tanith Lee, and Patricia A. McKillip. Introduction by Windling. Illustrated by Charles Vess.
The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (SFBC #51351, Jul 2002, $9.99, 384pp, hc, cover by Charles Vess) Reprint (Viking 2002) original YA/adult anthology of 15 stories and three poems about the green man and other nature spirits. This is similar to the Viking edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Wolf at the Door and Other Retold Fairy Tales ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-82139-5, Mar 2002, $4.99, 166pp, tp, cover by Tristan Elwell) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 2000) original YA anthology of 13 fairy tales quirkily retold. Fifth printing.
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Fifteenth Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (St. Martins 0-312-29067-5, Aug 2002, $29.95, 540 + cxxviii, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Best-of-the-year anthology of 38 stories, 10 poems, and 128 additional pages containing a necrology by James Frenkel, summations of 2001 fantasy and horror by the editors, a media summary by Edward Bryant, a comics summary by Charles Vess, and a manga/anime summary by Joan D. Vinge. Also available as a St. Martins Griffin trade paperback (-29069-1, $19.95). Packaged and copyrighted by James Frenkel & Associates.
- xv · Summation 2001: Fantasy · Terri Windling · ar
- xlvi · Summation 2001: Horror · Ellen Datlow · ar
- lxxxvi · The Year in Media of the Fantastic · Edward Bryant · ar
- ci · Fantasy and Horror in Comics: 2001 · Charles Vess · ar
- cxi · Manga and Anime in 2001: Through the Looking Glass · Joan D. Vinge · ar
- cxxii · Obituaries: 2001 · James Frenkel · ob
- 1 · The Hunters Wife · Anthony Doerr · ss TheShell Collector, Scribner, 2001
- 20 · The Cowardly Coffin · Marin Sorescu · pm The American Poetry Review, 2001
- 22 · In These Final Days of Sales · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss Wormhole Books, 2001
- 38 · To Dream of White Horses · June Considine · ss Thicker Than Water: Coming of Age Stories by Irish and Irish American Writers, ed. Gordon Snell, Delacorte, 2001
- 50 · Skin · Charlee Jacob · pm Perihelion Broadside Series #3, 2000
- 54 · Prussian Snowdrops · Marion Arnott · nv Crimewave #4, 2000; illus. Roddy Williams
- 78 · The Honeyed Knot · Jeffrey Ford · ss F&SF May, 2001
- 89 · Timmy Gobels Bug Jar · Michael Libling · ss F&SF Dec, 2001
- 102 · The God of Dark Laughter · Michael Chabon · ss New Yorker Apr 9, 2001
- 116 · The Adolescence of Orpheus · Kurt Leland · pm The Beloit Poetry Journal Spr, 2001
- 121 · Trading Hearts at the Half Kaffe Café · Charles de Lint · nv Single White Vampire Seeks Same, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Brittiany A. Koren, DAW, 2001
- 138 · Louises Ghost · Kelly Link · nv Stranger Things Happen, Small Beer Press, 2001
- 159 · Fairy Tale Pantoum · Ellen Wernecke · pm The Louisville Review v49/50, 2001
- 160 · Puppet and the Train · Scott Thomas · ss Cobwebs and Whispers, Delirium Books, 2001
- 173 · Crocodile Lady · Christopher Fowler · nv Crimewave #5, 2001
- 187 · The Barbarian and the Queen: Thirteen Views · Jane Yolen · ss Starlight 3, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 2001
- 198 · Becoming Bird · Bob Hicok · pm Quarterly West #51, 2000
- 200 · Sop Doll · Milbre Burch · ss Realms of Fantasy Apr, 2001
- 206 · Plenty · Christopher Barzak · ss Strange Horizons (online) May 28, 2001
- 216 · The Bones of the Earth [Earthsea] · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss Tales from Earthsea, Harcourt, 2001
- 228 · What the Story Weaves, the Spinner Tells · Terry Blackhawk · pm Calyx v20 #2, 2001
- 230 · Onion · Caitlín R. Kiernan · nv Wrong Things, Subterranean Press, 2001
- 251 · Where the Woodbine Twineth · Norman Partridge · ss The Man with the Barbed-Wire Fists, Night Shade Books, 2001
- 256 · Struwwelpeter · Glen Hirshberg · nv Sci Fiction website Nov 28, 2001
- 280 · Outfangthief · Gala Blau · ss The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 2001
- 293 · Rites: Cleaning the Last Bones · Gavin J. Grant · pm Dark Planet (webzine), 2001
- 295 · Watch Me When I Sleep · Jean-Claude Dunyach · ss Interzone Dec, 2001; first published in French in 2000.
- 303 · The Tattoo Artist · Patrick Roscoe · ss Descant Fll, 2001
- 308 · Cleopatra Brimstone · Elizabeth Hand · na Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, ed. Al Sarrantonio, Penguin/Roc, 2001
- 345 · Grass · Lawrence Miles · ss F&SF Sep, 2001
- 356 · If Death, A Preprimer · Sandra J. Lindow · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Spr, 2001
- 358 · The Bird Catcher · S. P. Somtow · na The Museum of Horrors, ed. Dennis Etchison, Leisure, 2001
- 379 · Black Dust · Graham Joyce · ss Burton, MI: Subterranean Press, 2001
- 389 · Annabelles Alphabet · Tim Pratt · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet #9, 2001
- 395 · Tom Brightwind, or, How the Fairy Bridge Was Built at Thoresby · Susanna Clarke · nv Starlight 3, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 2001
- 420 · Gestella · Susan Palwick · nv Starlight 3, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 2001
- 436 · The Legend · Ray Gonzales · pm The Ghost of John Wayne and Other Stories, University of Arizona Press, 2001
- 438 · Oh, Glorious Sight · Tanya Huff · nv Oceans of Magic, ed. Brian M. Thomsen & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 2001
- 451 · Home Cooking · Daniel Ulanovsky Sack; trans. by Louise Popkin · ss With Signs & Wonders, ed. Daniel M. Jaffe, Invisible Cities Press, 2001; El recetario, 2001.
- 455 · Queen · Gene Wolfe · ss Realms of Fantasy Dec, 2001
- 460 · The Project · Carol Emshwiller · ss F&SF Aug, 2001
- 472 · The Man in the Comic Strip · Liz Lochhead · pm The Poetry Review Win, 2001
- 474 · Strange Things About Birds · Scott Thomas · ss Cobwebs and Whispers, Delirium Books, 2001
- 477 · What We Did That Summer · Kathe Koja & Barry N. Malzberg · ss Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, ed. Al Sarrantonio, Penguin/Roc, 2001
- 486 · Aesculapius in the Underworld · Ryan G. Van Cleave · pm Poem May, 2001
- 488 · Scarecrow · Gregory Maguire · ss Half-Human, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic, 2001
- 496 · The Bockles · Melissa Hardy · ss The Uncharted Heart, Knopf Canada, 2001
- 510 · His Own Back Yard · James P. Blaylock · nv Sci Fiction website Jul 11, 2001
- 527 · Honorable Mentions: 2001 · Misc. · bi