Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Argonaut Stanley Schmidt (Tor 0-312-87726-9, Jul 2002, $25.95, 333pp, hc, cover by Alan Pollack) Near-future SF novel. Aliens use insects to reconnoiter Earth.
Generation Gap and Other Stories Stanley Schmidt (Gale Group/Five Star 0-7862-4161-6, Jun 2002, $23.95, 296pp, hc) Collection of 11 stories. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 207-859-1000; [www.galegroup.com].
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 14 · The Prophet · nv Analog Apr 72
- 46 · Floodgate · ss Twilight Zone Oct 88
- 67 · Panic · ss IASFM Jan/Feb 78
- 79 · Worthsayer · nv AHMM Jun 92
- 102 · Mascots · ss F&SF Feb 82
- 130 · A Midsummer Newts Dream · vi IASFM Jun 79
- 134 · The Folks Who Live on the Hill · ss Habitats, ed. Susan Shwartz, DAW, 1984
- 160 · Johnny Birdseed · nv Analog Jul 93
- 206 · The Man on the Cover · ss Analog Oct 90
- 229 · Not Even a Chimney · ss Christmas Forever, ed. David G. Hartwell, Tor, 1993
- 247 · Generation Gap · nv Artemis Spr, 2000
Tweedlioop Stanley Schmidt (FoxAcre Press 0-9709711-2-5, Apr 2002, $13.50, 181pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1987) SF novel, with a new afterword by Schmidt. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.foxacre.com], or from FoxAcre Press, 401 Ethan Allen Ave., Takoma Park MD 20912.
Eternal Frontier James H. Schmitz (Baen 0-7434-3559-1, Sep 2002, $16.00, 535pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of 21 stories, only one previously collected, and the novel The Eternal Frontiers (1973). Afterword by editor Eric Flint, and a Schmitz chronography by co-editor Guy Gordon.
- 1 · Adventures in Time and Space · Anon. · si
- 3 · The Big Terrarium · nv Saturn May 57
- 36 · Summer Guests · nv If Sep 59
- 65 · Captives of the Thieve-Star · nv Planet Stories May 51
- 97 · Caretaker · ss Galaxy Jul 53
- 110 · One Step Ahead · ss Worlds of If Mar/Apr 74
- 120 · Left Hand, Right Hand · nv Amazing Nov 62
- 149 · Homo Excelsior · Anon. · si
- 151 · The Ties of Earth · na Galaxy Nov 55 (+1)
- 221 · Spacemaster · nv New Writings in SF. 3, ed. John Carnell, London: Dobson, 1965
- 243 · The Altruist · nv Galaxy Sep 52
- 262 · Oneness · ss Analog May 63
- 276 · Dark Visions · Anon. · si
- 281 · We Dont Want Any Trouble · ss Galaxy Jun 53
- 288 · Just Curious · ss AHMM Dec 68
- 299 · Would You? · ss Fantastic Dec 69
- 306 · These Are the Arts · ss F&SF Sep 62
- 322 · Clean Slate · nv Amazing Sep 64
- 345 · Time for Crime · Anon. · si
- 347 · Crime Buff · nv AHMM Aug 73
- 368 · Ham Sandwich · nv Analog Jun 63
- 390 · Where the Time Went · ss If Nov 68
- 399 · An Incident on Route 12 · ss If Jan 62
- 404 · Swift Completion · ss AHMM Mar 62
- 416 · Faddist · ss Bizarre! Mystery Magazine Jan 66
- 421 · The Eternal Frontiers · n. New York: Putnam, 1973
- 534 · Afterword · Eric Flint · aw [James H. Schmitz]
- 536 · James H. Schmitz Chronography · Guy Gordon · bi [James H. Schmitz]
Radiance Carter Scholz (Picador USA 0-312-26893-9, Feb 2002, $24.00, 388pp, hc, cover by David Baldeosingh Rotstein) Associational mainstream novel about researchers at a contemporary nuclear weapons lab.
Permanence Karl Schroeder (Tor 0-765-30371-X, May 2002, $27.95, 447pp, hc, cover by Alan Pollack) Far-future SF adventure novel. A young woman running away from slavery discovers an abandoned spaceship.
Speaking of the Fantastic Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 1-59224-001-1, Aug 2002, $16.00, 202pp, tp) Non-fiction collection of 11 interviews with writers including Terry Bisson, Ursula K. Le Guin, Frederik Pohl, and Dan Simmons. This is an on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928; [www.wildsidepress.com]; [email@example.com].
Lenegrin Jonathan D. Scott (Middleton Books 0-9716611-0-3, Jan 2002, $14.95, 293pp, tp, cover by Jonathan D. Scott) Allegorical fantasy novel of a mans search for his memory and his destiny, and a quest for the legendary Locus. Order from Middleton Books, 3107 A. Ferrite Loop, Lawrenceville GA 30044; [www.middletonpress.com].
Last Things David Searcy (Viking 0-670-03132-1, Oct 2002, $24.95, 278pp, hc) Horror novel. Toddlers and poultry disappear from a small Texas town.
The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold (Little, Brown 0-316-66634-3, Jul 2002, $21.95, 329pp, hc, cover by Daniel Lee) Fantasy novel. A girl watches from heaven while her father tracks her murderer. A first novel.
Glorificemus: A Study of the Fiction of Walter M. Miller, Jr. Rose Secrest (University Press of America 0-7618-2257-7, Jun 2002, $48.00, 143pp, hc) Non-fiction, a critical study of Millers works focusing on A Canticle for Leibowitz. (The sequel St. Leibowitz and the Wild Horse Woman is mentioned only in the bibliography.) There is an appendix with synopses of Millers short stories. An index and a bibliography are included. Order from University Press of America, 4720 Boston Way, Lanham MD 20706; 800-462-6420; [www.univpress.com]. [Walter M. Miller, Jr.]
Floodland Marcus Sedgwick (Random House/Dell Yearling 0-440-41683-3, Jul 2002, $5.50, 148pp, tp, cover by Danilo Ducak) Reprint (Orion 2000) young-adult SF novel of a girl accidentally left behind when her parents flee flooding caused by global warming.
DragonLance: Masters of DragonLance Art ed. Mark Sehestedt (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2798-4, Sep 2002, $24.95, 126pp, tp, cover by Matt Stawicki) [DragonLance] Art book, featuring works by artists including Brom, Matt Stawicki, and Jeff Easley. Foreword by Margaret Weis. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Dorian Will Self (Grove 0-8021-1729-5, Jan 2003, $24.00, 278pp, hc) [Dorian Gray] Literary fantasy novel drawing on The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, set against the AIDS epidemic of the 80s and 90s. First US edition (Viking UK 10/02).
Encyclopedia of Pulp Fiction Writers Lee Server (Facts on File/Checkmark Books 0-8160-4578-X, Nov 2002, $19.95, 304 + xvi, tp) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to over 200 pulp pioneers and mass-market masters in a variety of genres. Each author covered gets a biography and list of books; authors of interest include Isaac Asimov, Edgar Rice Burroughs, V.C. Andrews, Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Fredric Brown. A hardcover edition (-4577-1, $60.00) was announced but not seen.
Mary Shelley Miranda Seymour (Grove 0-8021-3948-5, Oct 2002, $20.00, 655pp, tp) Reprint (John Murray 2000, not seen) biography. Includes 32 unpaginated pages of b&w illustration. [Mary W. Shelley]
When Pirates Came to Brooklyn Phyllis Shalant (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46920-6, Sep 2002, $16.99, 213pp, hc, cover by William Low) Young-adult novel with fantasy elements. A Jewish girl playing pirate games in 1960 Brooklyn encounters prejudice and discovers she can really fly.
Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-60510-7, Jun 2002, $6.50, 257pp, tp, cover by Jennifer Nelson) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collins 2000 as Cirque Du Freak) young-adult dark fantasy of a freak show full of vampires. Shan is a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampires Assistant Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-60684-7, Sep 2002, $6.50, 241pp, pb, cover by Sheila Smallwood) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collins 2000) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires. Shan is a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: Tunnels of Blood Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-60763-0, Apr 2002, $15.95, 224pp, hc) [Darren Shan] Young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, third in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy. First US edition (Collins 2000).
Cirque Du Freak: Vampire Mountain Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-60806-8, Sep 2002, $15.95, 195pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Darren Shan] Young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, fourth in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy. Darren travels to the heart of the vampire world. First US edition (Collins 6/01).
Quest for Tomorrow: Shadow Planet William Shatner (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-105119-5, Nov 2002, $23.95, 326pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Quest for Tomorrow] SF novel, fifth in the series.
Star Trek: Captains Peril William Shatner (SFBC #54000, Nov 2002, $13.99, 335pp, hc, cover by Mark Gerber) [Star Trek] Reprint (Pocket 2002) Star Trek novelization. Shatners co-authors are credited on the title page and inside back cover only. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: Captains Peril William Shatner, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens (Pocket 0-7434-4819-7, Oct 2002, $25.00, 335pp, hc, cover by Mark Gerber) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Floodwater Heather Shaw & Tim Pratt (Tropism Press, Dec 2002, $4.00, 10pp, ph, cover by Richard Doyle) Collection of three stories, one collaboration and a solo story by each. Order from Tropism Press, PO Box 13222, Berkeley CA 94712-4222; [www.sff.net/people/timpratt/press.html].
- 2 · Wetting the Bed · Heather Shaw · vi *
- 4 · A Serious Case of Fairies · ss *
- 9 · The Heart, a Chambered Nautilus · Tim Pratt · vi *
Twilight Hunger Maggie Shayne (SFBC #19162, May 2002, $9.99, 393pp, hc) [Wings in the Night] Reprint (Mira 2002, not seen) vampire romance novel. This has ISBN 0-7394-2377-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Great Blue Yonder Alex Shearer (Houghton Mifflin/Clarion 0-618-21257-4, Apr 2002, $15.00, 184pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy. Harrys dead, but determined to get back to Earth to take back some words he regrets.
Dimensions of Sheckley Robert Sheckley (NESFA Press 1-886778-29-9, Apr 2002, $29.00, 538pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Omnibus of four SF novels and one novella: Immortality, Inc. (1959), Journey Beyond Tomorrow (1962), Mindswap (1966), Dimension of Miracles (1968), and novella Minotaur Maze (1990), previously available only in a small-press limited edition. Introduction by Mike Resnick, afterword by Tom Gerencer. Available from NESFA Press, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701-0203; [www.nesfapress.com]; add $3.00 shipping.
- · Immortality, Inc. · n. New York: Bantam, 1959
- · Journey Beyond Tomorrow · n. New York: New American Library, 1962
- · Mindswap · n. New York: Delacorte, 1966
- · Dimension of Miracles · n. New York: Dell, 1968
- · Minotaur Maze · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1990
Dimensions of Sheckley Robert Sheckley (SFBC #52643, Sep 2002, $14.50, 538pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (NESFA Press 2002) omnibus of four SF novels and one novella: Immortality, Inc. (1958), Journey Beyond Tomorrow (1963), Mindswap (1966), Dimension of Miracles (1968), and novella Minotaur Maze (1990). This is similar to the NESFA edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Amazing Dr. Darwin Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-7434-3529-X, Jun 2002, $24.00, 328pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Erasmus Darwin] Collection of six stories of the astounding adventures of Charles Darwins grandfather Erasmus. Three stories were previously collected as Erasmus Magister (Ace 1982).
- 1 · Introduction · in
- 3 · The Devil of Malkirk · na F&SF Jun 82
- 71 · The Heart of Ahura Mazda · nv AHMM Nov 88
- 113 · The Phantom of Dunwell Cove · nv Asimovs Aug 95
- 159 · The Lambeth Immortal · na AHMM Jun 79
- 209 · The Solborne Vampire · nv AHMM Jan 98
- 257 · The Treasure of Odirex · na Fantastic Jul 78
- 319 · Appendix- Erasmus Magister: Fact and Fiction · ar Erasmus Magister, Ace, 1982
Between the Strokes of Night Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-7434-3568-0, Nov 2002, $15.00, 343pp, tp, cover by David Mattingly) Hard SF novel. This is significantly revised and expanded from the 1985 version (Baen), to take into account new cosmological theories about the expanding universe, with a new ending. Sheffields introduction discusses the revisions.
Cold As Ice Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-812-51163-8, Mar 2002, $6.99, 372pp, pb, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Cold As Ice] Reissue (Tor 1992) SF novel. Third printing.
Dark As Day Charles Sheffield (Tor 0-312-87634-3, Mar 2002, $27.95, 479pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Cold As Ice] SF novel, sequel to Cold As Ice. Thirty years after the Great War that devastated the Solar System, researchers uncover a forgotten weapon, an alien signal, and a threat to the survival of the human race.
Dark As Day Charles Sheffield (SFBC #50970, May 2002, $13.99, 479pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Cold As Ice] Reprint (Tor 2002) SF novel, sequel to Cold As Ice. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Lady Vanishes and Other Oddities of Nature Charles Sheffield (Gale Group/Five Star 0-7862-4169-1, Jun 2002, $24.95, 284pp, hc) Collection of 11 stories, one original. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 207-859-1000; [www.galegroup.com]. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Ed Gorman.
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 9 · The Lady Vanishes · ss Science Fiction Age Nov 96
- 29 · The Peacock Throne · nv Asimovs Feb 96
- 73 · Brooks Too Broad for Leaping · ss Bending the Landscape: Science Fiction, ed. Nicola Griffith & Steve Pagel, White Wolf, 1998
- 89 · The Art of Fugue · ss Asimovs Jun, 2000
- 105 · The Whole Three Yards · ss *
- 123 · Cloud Cuckoo · nv Asimovs Jul 96
- 165 · Packing Fraction · ss Packing Fraction & Other Tales of Science & Imagination, ed. Julie E. Czerneda, Trifolium Books, 1998
- 177 · Nuremberg Joys · nv Asimovs Mar, 2000
- 203 · What Would You Like to Know? · ss Science Fiction Age Mar 97
- 229 · Waiting for the Riddlers · ss Analog Mar 97
- 235 · Phallicide · nv Science Fiction Age Sep 99
Resurgence Charles Sheffield (Baen 0-7434-3567-2, Nov 2002, $24.00, 374pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Heritage Universe] SF novel, the fifth in the Heritage Universe series. Hans Rebka, interstellar troubleshooter, investigates the destruction of whole star systems.
Frankenstein Mary Shelley (Barnes & Noble 1-5661-9141-6, 2002, $4.95, 242pp, tp) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic SF novel. This appears to be a 1993 edition, not previously listed; this indicates 11th printing.
Frankenstein Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (State Street Press 0-681-80714-8, 2002, $6.98, 259pp, hc, cover by Aristides Ruiz) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic horror novel. This appears to follow a 1988 Random House Value Publishing edition, with illustrations by Lyn Ward. An instant remainder edition.
Spec Ops Squad: Deep Strike Rick Shelley (Ace 0-441-00952-2, Jul 2002, $6.99, 249pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Spec Ops Squad] Military SF novel, second in the series.
Valentine Lucius Shepard (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-215-3, Feb 2002, $18.00, 181pp, hc, cover by Clayton Burkhart) Associational novel, with elements of magic realism, of lovers stranded by a hurricane in Florida.
Valentine Lucius Shepard (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-251-X, Jan 2003, $11.95, 181pp, tp) Reprint (Four Walls Eight Windows 2002) associational novel, with elements of magic realism, of lovers stranded by a hurricane in Florida.
Demontech: Onslaught David Sherman (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44374-8, Feb 2002, $6.99, 347pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Demontech] Military fantasy novel, first in a series. Marines fight the Dark Prince in an alternate universe.
Starfist: Kingdoms Fury David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44372-1, Jan 2003, $6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) Military SF novel, eighth in a series about 25th-century Marines.
Starfist: Kingdoms Swords David Sherman & Dan Cragg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44371-3, May 2002, $6.99, 357pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Starfist] Military SF novel, seventh in a series about 25th-century Marines.
The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break Steven Sherrill (Picador USA 0-312-30892-2, Nov 2002, $14.00, 313pp, tp, cover by Sandra Hendler) Reprint (John F. Blair 2000) literary contemporary fantasy novel.
The Book of Splendor Frances Sherwood (Norton 0-393-02138-6, Jul 2002, $25.95, 348pp, hc, cover by Pieter Cornelis Dommerson) Literary fantasy novel with elements of Jewish mysticism set in 17th-century Prague.
The Book of Splendor Frances Sherwood (SFBC 0-393-02138-6, Sep 2002, $12.99, 348pp, hc, cover by Pieter Cornelis Dommerson) Reprint (Norton 2002) literary fantasy novel with elements of Jewish mysticism set in 17th-century Prague. The cover lacks both price and SFBC number.
Dogland Will Shetterly (Tor/Starscape 0-765-34233-2, Apr 2002, $5.99, 445pp, tp, cover by Greg Newbold) [Dogland] Reprint (Tor 1997) magic realism/quasi-autobiographical novel set in 1950s Florida, repackaged for young adults.
Mythmaker: The Story of J.K. Rowling Charles J. Shields (Chelsea House 0-7910-6719-X, Mar 2002, $21.95, 111pp, hc) Young-adult non-fiction, in the Who Wrote That? series. Includes a chronology, list of sources, and an index. [J. K. Rowling]
The Merchant Prince, Volume Two: Outrageous Fortune Armin Shimerman & Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Pocket 0-671-03593-2, Oct 2002, $6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Merchant Prince] Science fiction time-travel novel, the second featuring Elizabethan notable Dr. John Dee. Copyrighted by Bill Fawcett & Associates.
Jenna Starborn Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00900-X, Apr 2002, $14.95, 381pp, tp, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) SF novel, a far-future twist on Charlotte Brontës Jane Eyre.
Summers at Castle Auburn Sharon Shinn (Ace 0-441-00928-X, May 2002, $7.50, 342pp, pb, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) Reprint (Ace 2001) fantasy novel.
J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century Tom Shippey (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-25759-4, Sep 2002, $13.00, 347pp, hc) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2000) non-fiction, critical examination of Tolkiens works. Winner of the World Fantasy Award. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
Demons John Shirley (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44647-X, Mar 2002, $25.00, 372pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) Near-future post-apocalypse horror novel in two parts, the first published as a separate book with the same title (CD Publications 2000, not seen).
The Dark Side of Nowhere Neal Shusterman (Tor/Starscape 0-765-34243-X, Jul 2002, $5.99, 185pp, tp, cover by David Gaadt) Reprint (Little, Brown 1997) young-adult SF/horror about an alien conspiracy.
MindQuakes: Stories to Shatter Your Brain Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-765-34188-3, Feb 2002, $5.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Robert Papp) Reprint (Tor 1996) collection of ten young-adult horror stories.
MindStorms: Stories to Blow Your Mind Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-765-34189-1, Mar 2002, $5.99, 242pp, pb, cover by Robert Papp) Reprint (Tor 1996) collection of ten young-adult horror stories.
The Shattered Sky Neal Shusterman (Tor 0-312-85508-7, Jun 2002, $23.95, 414pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Shards] SF novel, the third in the Star Shards trilogy. The grown-up Star Shards face an alien invasion.
Second Chances Susan Shwartz (Tor 0-812-57912-7, Apr 2002, $7.99, 454pp, pb, cover by David Seeley) Reprint (Tor 2001) SF novel, an homage to Joseph Conrad described as Lord Jim in space.
Suppose They Gave a Peace and Other Stories Susan Shwartz (Gale Group/Five Star 0-7862-4166-7, Jun 2002, $23.95, 317pp, hc) Collection of 10 stories. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 207-859-1000; [www.galegroup.com].
- 9 · Introduction · in
- 11 · Suppose They Gave a Peace... · nv Alternate Presidents, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1992
- 45 · Drawing Out Leviathan · ss Return of the Dinosaurs, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 65 · Bibi · Susan Shwartz & Mike Resnick · na Asimovs mid-Dec 95
- 127 · Loose Cannon · nv What Might Have Been? Volume II: Alternate Heroes, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam Spectra, 1990
- 175 · The Carpetbagger · ss South From Midnight, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Thomas R. Hanlon, Southern Fried Press, 1994
- 199 · Dreaming in Black and White · nv Psycho-Paths, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1991
- 223 · Beggarman · nv 2041, ed. Jane Yolen, Delacorte, 1991
- 251 · Temple to a Minor Goddess · ss Amazing Jan 87
- 267 · Critical Cats · nv Catfantastic II, ed. Andre Norton & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1991
- 291 · Getting Real · nv Newer York, ed. Lawrence Watt-Evans, Roc, 1991