Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Ribbiting Tales ed. Nancy Springer (Penguin/Puffin 0-698-11952-5, Jun 2002, $5.99, 117pp, tp, cover by Tony DiTerlizzi) Reprint (Philomel 2000) young-adult anthology of eight stories about frogs.
Body Electric Susan Squires (Leisure 0-8439-5036-6, Aug 2002, $6.99, 367pp, pb) SF cyberthriller/romance. A woman tries to find a body for the artificial intelligence she has created.
The Cassandra Complex Brian Stableford (Tor 0-765-34289-8, Mar 2002, $6.99, 296pp, pb, cover by Alan Pollack) [Emortality] Reprint (Tor 2001) SF novel set in Stablefords Future History, prequel to Inherit the Earth.
Dark Ararat Brian Stableford (Tor 0-765-30168-7, Mar 2002, $25.95, 352pp, hc, cover by Alan Pollack) [Emortality] SF novel, fifth in the Emortality future history series. Murder erupts when colonists arrive at their new home and find evidence of alien habitation.
The Omega Expedition Brian Stableford (Tor 0-765-30169-5, Dec 2002, $27.95, 544pp, hc, cover by Alan Pollack) [Emortality] SF novel, sixth and final in the Emortality Future History series.
Fortress Draconis Michael A. Stackpole (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57849-9, Nov 2002, $6.50, 706pp, pb, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) [DragonCrown War Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 2001) fantasy novel; first book in the DragonCrown War Cycle.
MechWarrior: Dark Age: Ghost War Michael A. Stackpole (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45905-9, Dec 2002, $6.99, 295pp, tp) [MechWarrior: Dark Age] Novelization based on the Battletech role-playing game. Copyrighted by WizKids.
When Dragons Rage Michael A. Stackpole (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37920-8, Dec 2002, $14.95, 465pp, tp, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) [DragonCrown War Cycle] Fantasy novel, the second book in the DragonCrown War Cycle series.
Ill Be Damned Shane Ryan Staley (Delirium Books 1-929653-21-2, 2001, $18.00, 203pp, tp, cover by R. S. Connett) Collection of 30 horror stories, seven original. Introduction by Brian Keene. A signed, limited edition of 250. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; e-mail: [firstname.lastname@example.org]; website: [www.deliriumbooks.com]; add $4.00 postage.
- 7 · Better to Burn · Brian Keene · in *
- 9 · Tequila Son · ss
- 19 · Petey · ss *
- 25 · The Magic Cupboard · ss
- 29 · The Boy with Razor-Sharp Teeth · ss
- 35 · Potty Mouth · ss *
- 41 · Chocolate Jesus · ss Delirium #3, 2000
- 47 · Dysfunction · ss Black Petals Spr, 2000
- 60 · Road Kill · ss Frightmares #3 98
- 64 · The Special Dish · ss
- 70 · Point of Interest · ss
- 75 · The Dead Santa · ss
- 85 · Bethlehem: 9 Months B.C. · vi
- 88 · Fallen · ss *
- 94 · Caswell · ss Outer Darkness #16 98
- 102 · The Smoker · ss
- 107 · The Road Trip · ss
- 113 · Burnt Offering · ss
- 123 · The Mailman · ss
- 128 · The Ronnie Letters · ss
- 134 · The Day Mr. Langford Cracked · ss
- 142 · The Golden Years · ss
- 146 · Natural Selection · ss
- 152 · Opportunities · ss *
- 159 · The Becoming · ss
- 166 · Sick Day · ss
- 170 · Bitchslapped · ss *
- 176 · Shady Acres Church of God · vi
- 179 · Twins · ss
- 187 · Worms · ss *
- 192 · Blessed Is He Who Trusts in the Lard · ss *
- 205 · Biographies · Misc. · bg
Dark Testament ed. Shane Ryan Staley (Delirium Books 1-929653-22-0, Feb 2002, $45.00, 214pp, hc, cover by GAK) Anthology of 21 horror stories, one a reprint. Authors include Charlee Jacob, Gerard Houarner, and W.H. Pugmire. A limited edition of 200, signed by all participants. Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; e-mail: [email@example.com]; website: [www.deliriumbooks.com]; add $4.00 postage.
The Dead Inn ed. Shane Ryan Staley (Delirium Books 1-929653-12-3, Feb 2001, $25.00, 232pp, hc, cover by Jamie Oberschlake) Anthology of 25 horror stories, subtitled Gross Oddities, Erotic Perversities & Supernatural Entities. Authors include Charlee Jacob, Trey R. Barker, and Don DAmmassa. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; e-mail: [firstname.lastname@example.org]; website: [www.deliriumbooks.com]; add $4.00 postage.
Islands Sara Stamey (FirstPublish.com 1-931743-43-6, Apr 2002, $14.95, 363pp, tp) Reprint (XLibris 2001, not seen) horror novel of psychic suspense. An archeologist in the Caribbean investigates petroglyphs and her brothers death. This is slightly revised from the XLibris edition which had limited distribution in the authors local area. This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [FirstPublish.com]; [orders@FirstPublish.com]; 888-707-7634.
The Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine Diane Stanley (HarperTrophy 0-380-73327-7, Sep 2002, $5.99, 201pp, tp, cover by Joanne Scribner) Reprint (HarperCollins 2001) young-adult mystery/satire.
Hobbits, Elves, and Wizards: Exploring the Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkiens The Lord of the Rings" Michael N. Stanton (St. Martins/Palgrave Macmillan 1-4039-6025-9, Sep 2002, $12.95, 202pp, tp) [Middle-Earth] Reprint (Palgrave 2001) non-fiction reference guide to characters and places in Tolkiens work. This adds a new essay on the movie version of The Fellowship of the Ring. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
A Wizard in a Feud Christopher Stasheff (Tor 0-812-54152-9, Feb 2002, $6.99, 206pp, pb, cover by Peter Peebles) [Warlock: Rogue Wizard] Reprint (Tor 2001) SF novel in the Rogue Wizard series featuring the son of the Warlock.
Vampire$ John Steakley (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45153-8, Oct 2002, $6.99, 357pp, pb) Reissue (Roc 1990) horror novel about vampire hunters. Thirteenth printing.
Chronospace Allen Steele (Ace 0-441-00906-9, Feb 2002, $6.99, 320pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) Reprint (Ace 2001) SF novel, expanded from the Hugo and Locus Award-winning novella ...Where Angels Fear to Tread.
Coyote Allen Steele (Ace 0-441-00974-3, Nov 2002, $23.95, 390pp, hc, cover by Ron Miller) [Coyote] SF fix-up novel formed from eight stories, most altered (some substantially) from their originally published form. A hijacked starship takes political dissidents to found Earths first colony on another world.
- 1 · Prelude · Allen Steele · lk
- · Journey from Earth
- 9 · From Eros to Gaia · Freeman Dyson · ex
- 11 · Part One: Stealing Alabama · Allen Steele · na Asimovs Jan, 2001; revised.
- 113 · Part Two: The Days Between · Allen Steele · nv Asimovs Mar, 2001; revised.
- 159 · Part Three: Coming to Coyote · Allen Steele · na Asimovs Jul, 2001; revised.
- 255 · Part Four: Liberty Journals · Allen Steele · nv Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2001; revised.
- 295 · Book Two: Shores of the Unknown
- 295 · Space, Time and Gravitation · Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington · ex
- 299 · Part Five: The Boid Hunt · Allen Steele · nv Star Colonies, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2000; revised.
- 325 · Part Six: Across the Eastern Divide (from the memoirs of Wendy Gunther) · Allen Steele · na Asimovs Feb, 2002; revised.
- 417 · Part Seven: Lonesome and a Long Way from Home · Allen Steele · nv Asimovs Jun, 2002; revised.
- 461 · Part Eight: Glorious Destiny · Allen Steele · na Asimovs Dec, 2002
Coyote Allen Steele (SFBC #54201, Nov 2002, $11.99, 390pp, hc, cover by Ron Miller) [Coyote] Reprint (Ace 2002) SF novel. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Michael G. Coney: Troubadour of Earth Phil Stephensen-Payne (Galactic Central 1-871133-61-0, Jul 2002, $3.00, ix + 30pp, ph) Non-fiction reference, a primary and secondary bibliography. Available in the US from Chris Drumm, PO Box 445, Polk City IA 50226-0445; [Cdrummbks@aol.com]; [www.philsp.cwc.net]. [Michael G. Coney]
Cryptonomicon Neal Stephenson (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-051280-6, Dec 2002, $7.99, 1152pp, pb, cover by Liz Kenyon) Reissue (Avon 1999) quasi-SF thriller of cryptographers. Winner of the Locus Award for Best SF Novel.
Tomorrow Now: Envisioning the Next Fifty Years Bruce Sterling (Random House 0-679-46322-4, Dec 2002, $24.95, 320 + xxiv, hc) Non-fiction book looking at what the near future might look like. This includes an index.
Star Trek: Enterprise: What Price Honor? Dave Stern (Pocket 0-7434-6278-5, Nov 2002, $6.99, 300pp, pb) [Star Trek: Enterprise] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Smallville: Strange Visitors Roger Stern (Warner Aspect 0-446-61213-8, Oct 2002, $5.99, 285pp, pb) [Smallville] Novelization based on the television series based on DC Comics Superman. Copyrighted by DC Comics.
Smallville: Strange Visitors Roger Stern (SFBC #54223, Nov 2002, $9.99, 285pp, hc) [Smallville] Reprint (Warner Aspect 2002) novelization based on the television series based on DC Comics Superman. Copyrighted by DC Comics. This has ISBN 0-7394-3072-6; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Others Robert Louis Stevenson (Random House/Modern Library Classics 0-375-76135-7, 2002, $14.95, 818 + liii, tp) Reprint (Robinson 1991 as The Complete Shorter Fiction) collection of 20 stories, many with fantastic elements. Edited and with a critical introduction and notes by Barry Menikoff. This includes a Scots glossary, notes, and a listing of words cited from Stevensons stories by the Oxford English Dictionary.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories Robert Louis Stevenson (Barnes & Noble Childrens Classics 0-7607-2113-0, 2002, $5.98, 187pp, hc, cover by Leonid Gore) Reissue (as part of an Everyman 1992 collection of the same title) collection of the classic horror novella (1886) plus three additional stories; this has the 1995 Barnes & Noble introduction by Laura Victoria Levin. Third printing. An instant remainder edition.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Robert Louis Stevenson (Penguin Classics 0-14-043911-0, 2002, $8.00, 178 + xliii, tp, cover by Arthur Batut) Collection of the classic horror novella plus a story and an excerpt from a related article by Stevenson. This includes an introduction, notes, and an essay by Robert Mighall.
- vii · Chronology · Misc. · ms
- ix · Introduction · Robert Mighall · in
- xxxix · Further Reading · Misc. · bi
- xliii · A Note on the Texts · Robert Mighall · ms
- 2 · The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde · na New York: Scribners, 1886
- 71 · The Body Snatcher · ss Pall Mall Christmas Extra, 1884
- 93 · Olalla · nv Court and Society Review Christmas, 1885
- 135 · A Chapter on Dreams (abridged) · ar Scribners Jan, 1888
- 143 · Diagnosing Jekyll: The Scientific Context to Dr. Jekylls Experiment and Mr. Hydes Embodiment · Robert Mighall · ar
- 162 · Notes · Robert Mighall · ms
A College of Magics Caroline Stevermer (Tor/Starscape 0-765-34245-6, Oct 2002, $5.99, 468pp, tp, cover by Tom Kidd) [Jane Brailsford] Reprint (Tor 1994) fantasy novel.
Flatterland: Like Flatland, Only More So Ian Stewart (Perseus Publishing 0-7382-0675-X, May 2002, $14.00, 301pp, tp) [Flatland] Reprint (Perseus Publishing 2001) SF/fantasy novel, an update/sequel to Edwin A. Abbots Flatland, with echoes of Alice in Wonderland.
Galveston Sean Stewart (Ace 0-441-00996-4, Apr 2002, $7.99, 455pp, pb, cover by Victor Stabin) Reprint (Ace 2000) near-future fantasy/magical realist novel.
City of the Dead Sharon Stewart (Red Deer Press 0-88995-229-9, Oct 2001, $7.95, 231pp, tp) Young-adult original collection of ten horror stories about spirits. Red Deer Press, 1 Yonge Street, Suite 1900, Toronto ON Canada M5E 1E5; US orders: 800-805-1083; [www.reddeerpress.com].
- 1 · Dog Days · ss *
- 23 · Trojan Horse · ss *
- 42 · Call Me · ss *
- 59 · The Village · ss *
- 80 · Cade · ss *
- 113 · Dingbat · ss *
- 137 · Lucky Seven · ss *
- 157 · Hooked · ss *
- 185 · Flying Toasters · ss *
- 202 · City of the Dead · ss *
The Haunting Hour R. L. Stine (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-441045-5, Sep 2002, $4.99, 153pp, tp, cover by Mike Fredrickson) Reprint (HarperCollins 2001) young-adult original collection of ten horror stories, each illustrated and introduced by a different artist.
Beware! R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories ed. R. L. Stine (HarperCollins 0-06-623842-0, Aug 2002, $11.99, 214pp, hc, cover by Mike Fredrickson) Young-adult anthology of 13 stories, one novel excerpt, a comic-book story, and four poems. Authors include Gahan Wilson, Ray Bradbury, and William Sleator.
- · The Black Ferris · Ray Bradbury · ss Weird Tales May 48
- · The Conjure Brother · Patricia McKissack · ss
- · My Sister Is a Werewolf · Jack Prelutsky · ss
- · The Surprise Guest · R. L. Stine · ss
- · The Judges House · Bram Stoker & R. L. Stine, retold by · ss
- · The Cremation of Sam McGee · Robert W. Service · pm Songs of a Sourdough, Toronto: Briggs, 1907
- · The Elevator · William Sleator · ss Things That Go Bump in the Night, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1989
- · The Witches · Roald Dahl · ex Jonathan Cape, 1983
- · Joe Is Not a Monster · R. L. Stine · ss
- · Tiger in the Snow · Daniel Wynn Barber · ss The Horror Show Fll 84
- · A Sock for Christmas, A Grimm Fairy Tale · Anon. · ss; from The Vault of Horror, Volume 4.
- · The Terrifying Adventures of the Golem, a Jewish Folktale · R. L. Stine, retold by · ss
- · Examination Day · Henry Slesar · ss Playboy Feb 58
- · Harold · Alvin Schwartz · ss
- · The Girl Who Stood on a Grave · Alvin Schwartz · ss
- · A Grave Misunderstanding · Leon Garfield · ss Guardian Angels, ed. Stephanie Nettell, Viking Kestrel, 1987
- · Mister Ice Cold · Gahan Wilson · ss Omni Apr 90
- · Haunted · Shel Silverstein · ss
- · Flood-Curdling Story · Shel Silverstein · ss
The Peshawar Lancers S. M. Stirling (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45848-6, Jan 2002, $23.95, 421pp, hc, cover by Duane Myers) Alternate history SF novel set in a 21st century where technology and politics are still at a Victorian level.
The Peshawar Lancers S. M. Stirling (SFBC #13930, Jan 2002, $11.99, 421pp, hc, cover by Duane Myers) Reprint (Roc 2002) SF novel. This is similar to the Roc edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
T2: Infiltrator S. M. Stirling (HarperEntertainment 0-380-80816-1, Apr 2002, $7.99, 513pp, pb) [Terminator] Reprint (HarperEntertainment 2001) novelization based on the world of the movie Terminator 2.
T2: Rising Storm S. M. Stirling (HarperEntertainment 0-380-97792-3, Jul 2002, $24.95, 378pp, hc, cover by Doug Chezem) [Terminator] Novelization based on the world of the movie Terminator 2. Copyrighted by Canal & D.A.
T2: Rising Storm S. M. Stirling (SFBC #53877, Oct 2002, $12.50, 378pp, hc, cover by Doug Chezem) [Terminator] Reprint (HarperEntertainment 2002) novelization based on the world of the movie Terminator 2. Copyrighted by Canal & D.A. This is similar to the HarperEntertainment edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Dracula Bram Stoker (Barnes & Noble 1-5661-9301-X, 2002, $4.95, 418pp, tp) [Dracula] Reprint (Constable 1897) classic vampire novel. This uses the text from the Oxford World Classics series edition. This trade paperback edition indicates tenth printing, but has not been listed previously.
Dracula Bram Stoker (State Street Press 0-681-40340-3, 2002, $6.98, 354pp, hc) [Dracula] Reprint (Constable 1897) classic vampire novel. This is an instant remainder edition.
Dracula/Frankenstein Bram Stoker & Mary Shelley (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230171-X, 2002, $4.99, 282 + 520pp, tp) Reprint (BOMC/QPBC 1991) omnibus of two horror novels bound in Ace double style, packaged for young adults: Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897) and Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818).
Science Fiction from Wells to Heinlein Leon Stover (McFarland 0-7864-1219-4, 2002, $45.00, hc, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Non-fiction, a critical examination of SFs roots in the British scientific romance. Includes illustrations from various books and magazines, with 16 unpaginated pages of color reproductions of pulp covers. Order from McFarland & Company, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; credit card orders: 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com]; add $4.00 postage.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Traitor Matthew Stover (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-42865-X, Aug 2002, $6.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order] Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by LucasBooks.
Blade of Tyshalle Matthew Woodring Stover (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42143-4, Apr 2002, $7.99, 789pp, pb, cover by Dave McKean) [Heroes Die] Reprint (Del Rey 2001) virtual-reality fantasy novel, sequel to Heroes Die.