Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Alastor Jack Vance (Tor/Orb 0-312-86952-5, Jul 2002, $13.95, 479pp, tp) [Alastor cluster (Connatic)] Reprint (Tor 1995) omnibus of three Alastor novels: Trullion: Alastor 2262 (Ballantine 1973), Marune: Alastor 933 (Ballantine 1975), and Wyst: Alastor 1716 (DAW 1978).
Big Planet Jack Vance (Sterling Publishing/Gollancz 0-575-07117-6, May 2002, $14.95, 218pp, tp) Reprint (Underwood-Miller 1978) SF novel. This is a special second printing (dated 2002) of the 2000 Gollancz SF Collectors edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing.
Sights Susanna Vance (Random House/Dell Laurel-Leaf 0-440-22864-6, Aug 2002, $5.50, 215pp, pb, cover by Mark Matcho) Reprint (Delacorte 2001, not seen) young-adult fantasy novel. A girl with a special power tries to adjust to a new high school.
Companions of the Night Vivian Vande Velde (Harcourt/Magic Carpet 0-15-216669-6, Sep 2002, $5.95, 212pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1995) young-adult vampire romance.
Heir Apparent Vivian Vande Velde (Harcourt 0-15-204560-0, Oct 2002, $17.00, 315pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Young-adult SF novel. A girl playing a virtual reality fantasy game could lose her life.
Magic Can Be Murder Vivian Vande Velde (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230210-4, Sep 2002, $5.99, 197pp, tp, cover by Tristan Elwell) Reprint (Harcourt 2000) young-adult dark fantasy mystery.
The Rumpelstiltskin Problem Vivian Vande Velde (Scholastic/Apple 0-439-30529-2, Sep 2002, $4.99, 116pp, tp, cover by Dan Craig) Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 2000) young-adult fantasy collection offering six alternative takes on the fairy tale.
City of Saints and Madmen: The Book of Ambergris Jeff VanderMeer (Prime Books 0-9668968-8-2, Jul 2002, $40.00, unpaginated, hc, cover by Scott Eagle) [Ambergris] Reprint (Cosmos 8/01) collection of five surreal novellas, one original to this edition, plus other material not in the original collection, all involving in VanderMeers city of Ambergris; a sealed packet with the decryption of one story is included. The four stories from the previous edition have all been revised somewhat. Introduction by Michael Moorcock. Available from Prime, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735.
- 11 · The Real VanderMeer · Michael Moorcock · in
- 15 · Dradin, in Love · na Tallahassee, FL: Buzzcity Press, 1996
- 73 · The Hoegbotton Guide to the Early History of Ambergris · na Necropolitan Press, 1999
- 129 · The Transformation of Martin Lake · na Palace Corbie #8 99
- 181 · The Strange Case of X · nv White of the Moon, ed. Stephen Jones, Pumpkin Books, 1999
- 219 · Appendix
- 5p · A Letter from Dr. V to Dr. Simpkin · ms *
- 3p · Xs Notes · ms *
- 12p · The Release of Belacqua · ss The Book of Winter, Hoegbottom Press, 1999
- 65p · King Squid · na *
- 11p · The Hoegbotton Family History · ms *
- 179-217 · The Cage · nv *
- 75- 82 · In the Hours After Death · ss *
- 2p · A Note from Dr. V to Dr. Simpkin · ms *
- 21p · Man Who Had No Eyes (encrypted) · ss *
- 44p · The Ambergris Glossary · ms *
Leviathan, Volume Three ed. Jeff VanderMeer & Forrest Aguirre (Ministry of Whimsy Press, The 1-894815-42-4, Jul 2002, $21.95, 468pp, tp) Original anthology of 27 stories, four reprints, by authors including Michael Moorcock, Jeffrey Ford, Brian Stableford, and Carol Emshwiller. Introduction by VanderMeer. Order from The Ministry of Whimsy, PO Box 4248, Tallahassee, FL 32315; add $1.00 postage.
The Art of Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones Mark Cotta Vaz (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-43126-X, Nov 2002, $19.95, 224pp, tp, cover by Ryan Church) [Star Wars] Art book showing design sketches, backdrop paintings, etc. for the movie. The screenplay by George Lucas and Jonathan Hales is included. Foreword by George Lucas. We apparently missed the first hardcover edition (4/02).
Autumn World et al. Joan Marie Verba, Tess Meara & Deborah K. Jones (FTL Publications 0-9653575-3-8, May 2002, $9.95, 116pp, tp, cover by Terry & Rita Miller) Reprint (Stone Dragon Press 2001, not seen) SF novel written by five authors, the three named above plus Margaret Howes and Ruth Berman. An exploratory ship crashes on an inhabited alien planet. Order from FTL Publications, PO Box 1363, Minnetonka MN 55345-0363; [www.ftlpublications.com].
Invasion of the Sea Jules Verne (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6465-6, Jan 2002, $24.95, 258 + xx, hc) SF novel of a French plan to flood the Sahara. This is the first English translation of the French LInvasion de la mer (1905), translated by Edward Baxter. Introduction and notes by Arthur B. Evans. Order from University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755; 800-421-1561; e-mail: [University.Press@Dartmouth.edu]; add $5.00 postage.
Journey to the Center of the Earth Jules Verne (Barnes & Noble Childrens Classics 0-7607-2849-6, 2002, $5.98, 216pp, hc, cover by Kristin Kest) Reprint (Griffith 1872) SF novel, packaged for young adults. This indicates second printing. This is an instant remainder edition.
The Mysterious Island Jules Verne (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6475-3, Feb 2002, $24.95, li + 676pp, hc) [Nemo] SF novel. This is a new translation, the first unabridged translation since 1876. Introduction and critical material by William Butcher; edited by Arthur B. Evans. Translated, with notes on previous translations, by Sidney Kravitz. There are notes, a Verne chronology, bibliography, and appendices on Vernes sources. Order from University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755; 800-421-1561; e-mail: [University.Press@Dartmouth.edu]; add $5.00 postage.
The Mysterious Island Jules Verne (Random House/Modern Library 0-8129-6642-2, Dec 2002, $13.95, 631 + xxx, tp) [Nemo] Reprint (Modern Library 2001, not seen) classic adventure novel, in a new translation by Jordan Stump. Introduction by Caleb Carr. This has the illustrations by Jules-Descartes Ferat from the original 1875 edition.
Three Complete Novels: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea/ Journey to the Center of the Earth/Around the World in Eighty Days Jules Verne (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-3005-9, 2002, $9.95, 658 + x, tp) Omnibus of three novels, two SF: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth (1872), and the associational Around the World in Eighty Days (1872). Introduction by David Verzoni.
- vii · Introduction · David Verzoni · in
- 1 · Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea [Nemo] · n. Magasin dEducation et de Recreation Mar 20, 1869; Paris: J. Hetzel, 1869
- 271 · A Journey to the Center of the Earth · n., 1872; Voyage au centre de la terre (Hetzel, 1864).
- 491 · Around the World in Eighty Days · n. Le Temps Nov 6, 1872; Paris: J. Hetzel, 1872
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne (Barnes & Noble Childrens Classics 0-7607-2850-X, 2002, $5.98, 269pp, hc, cover by Robert Gantt Steele) [Nemo] Reprint classic SF novel packaged for young adults. This instant remainder edition indicates second printing, but has not been seen previously.
Eternity Row S. L. Viehl (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45891-5, Sep 2002, $6.99, 410pp, pb, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Stardoc] SF novel, fifth in the Stardoc series.
Catspaw Joan D. Vinge (Tor 0-765-30341-8, Nov 2002, $15.95, 409pp, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) [Psion] Reprint (Warner 1988) SF novel, the adult sequel to Psion.
The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge Vernor Vinge (Tor/Orb 0-312-87584-3, Aug 2002, $15.95, 464pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 2001) collection of 17 stories.
Anno Domini 2000; or, Womans Destiny Julius Vogel (Apex International, Aug 2002, $11.00, 331pp, tp) Reprint (Hutchinson 1889) early SF novel of the 21st century. Available from Antares, 19 Rue Thiers, 83590 Gonfaron, France; postage included in price.
Mewingham Manor: Observations on a Curious New Species Laura Von Stetina (Greenwich Workshop Press 0-86713-082-2, Sep 2002, $19.95, unpaginated, tp, cover by Laura Von Stetina) Art book. The fictional Victorian sketchbook journal of Edwina Von Stetina, filled with observations of tiny butterfly-winged cats and flying mice. Laura is credited as author/artist only on the jacket flap and copyright page.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: The Genesis Wave, Book Three John Vornholt (SFBC #39630, Mar 2002, $11.99, 296pp, hc, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Genesis Wave] Reprint (Pocket 2002) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Troll King John Vornholt (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-7434-2412-3, Aug 2002, $4.99, 216pp, tp, cover by Omar Rayyan) [Troll King] Young-adult fantasy novel. A young troll wants to get a job outside the realm of the trolls.
Kellys People Walter Wager (Tor/Forge 0-765-30131-8, Apr 2002, $24.95, 349pp, hc) Thriller with SF elements. Five secret agents are given organ transplants and a serum that make them telepathically linked.
All Too Surreal Tim Waggoner (Prime Books 1-894815-06-8, Apr 2002, $15.00, 188pp, tp, cover by Mike Bohatch) Collection of 18 horror/surreal stories, two original. Introduction by Dennis L. McKiernan. Order from Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.net].
- 7 · from the feverish mind of tim waggoner (an introduction) · Dennis L. McKiernan · in
- 9 · All Fall Down · ss Night Terrors #6 98
- 19 · Anubis Has Left the Building · ss More Monsters from Memphis, ed. Beecher Smith, Zapizdat Publications, 1998
- 30 · Picking Up Courtney · ss *
- 44 · On the Skids in Another Dimension · ss Glimpses Sum 93
- 48 · The Other Woman · ss Dark Planet (webzine) Oct 11, 2000
- 62 · Simulacrum · ss The Three-Lobed Burning Eye Jan, 2000
- 70 · Night Eyes · vi Horrors! 365 Scary Stories, ed. Stefan R. Dziemianowicz, Robert Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Barnes & Noble, 1998
- 73 · The Man of Her Dreams · ss Dangerous Magic, ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1999
- 85 · At the Movies · ss Skin & Bones Apr 99
- 89 · Exits and Entrances · nv *
- 110 · Keeping It Together · ss Between the Darkness and the Fire, ed. Jeffry Dwight, Wildside Press/SFF Net, 1998
- 120 · Horror Show · nv Villains Victorious, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2001
- 136 · Mirroring · vi Horrors! 365 Scary Stories, ed. Stefan R. Dziemianowicz, Robert Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Barnes & Noble, 1998
- 139 · On the Shelf and Dreaming · ss Dark Planet (webzine) Mar 3, 2000
- 146 · Fixer-Upper · ss Single White Vampire Seeks Same, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Brittiany A. Koren, DAW, 2001
- 159 · Joyless Forms · vi *
- 162 · I Scream, You Scream · ss Horrorfind.com Oct, 2001
- 178 · Mr. Punch · ss Young Blood, ed. Mike Baker, Zebra, 1994
Gods in Darkness Karl Edward Wagner (Night Shade Books 1-892389-24-X, Jun 2002, $35.00, 520pp, hc, cover by Ken Kelly) [Kane] Omnibus collection of three Kane novels: Bloodstone (1975), Dark Crusade (1976), and Darkness Weaves (1970, revised 1978). A limited edition, signed and with an extra illustration by Ken Kelly ($75.00, -25-8) is also available. Order from Night Shade Books, 501 S. Williamette St., Newberg OR 97132; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- 1 · Bloodstone · n. Warner, 1975
- 203 · Dark Crusade · n. New York: Baen, 1976
- 349 · Darkness Weaves · n. Warner, 1978; revised from Darkness Weaves with Many Shades, Powell 1970.
Circle of Stars Anna Lee Waldo (St. Martins 0-312-98035-3, Nov 2002, $7.50, 602pp, pb) [Druid Circle] Reprint (St. Martins 2001, not seen) historical novel with fantasy elements, second in The Druid Circle about the Welsh discovery of America three centuries before Columbus. Madoc sails west to find a safe home for his people.
Flying Saucer Rock and Roll Howard Waldrop (Cheap Street 0-941826-24-4, May 2002, $55.00, 59pp, hc) SF story originally published in 1985. Waldrop provides a 17-page afterword on the writing of the story. This is a signed limited edition of 190. Order from Cheap Street, Route 2 Box 1293, New Castle VA 24127; [www.cheapst.com]; [email@example.com].
The Mabinogion Tetralogy Evangeline Walton (Overlook Press 1-58567-241-6, Mar 2002, $35.00, 719pp, hc, cover by John McKirdy Duncan) [Mabinogion] Omnibus of the four novels retelling the Celtic myths of The Mabinogion: The Prince of Annwn (1974), The Children of Llyr (1971), The Song of Rhiannon (1972), and The Island of the Mighty (1936 as The Virgin and the Swine). Introduction by Betty Ballantine.
- 7 · Introduction · Betty Ballantine · in
- 13 · The Prince of Annwn · n. New York: Ballantine, 1974
- 139 · The Children of Llyr · n. New York: Ballantine, 1971
- 293 · The Song of Rhiannon · n. New York: Ballantine, 1972
- 427 · The Island of the Mighty [The Virgin and the Swine] · n. Willet Clark, 1936
The Kings Name Jo Walton (SFBC #10843, Jan 2002, $13.50, 304pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Kings Peace] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy novel, sequel to The Kings Peace. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Kings Name Jo Walton (Tor 0-765-34340-1, Nov 2002, $6.99, 320pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Kings Peace] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy novel, sequel to The Kings Peace.
The Kings Peace Jo Walton (Tor 0-765-34327-4, Aug 2002, $7.99, 530pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Kings Peace] Reprint (Tor 2000) fantasy novel with Celtic/Arthurian overtones.
The Prize in the Game Jo Walton (Tor 0-765-30263-2, Dec 2002, $25.95, 253pp, hc, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) [Kings Peace] Fantasy novel, set in the world of The Kings Peace. A curse causes four royal friends to face war between their countries.
The Leto Bundle Marina Warner (Farrar, Straus and Giroux 0-374-18548-4, May 2002, $26.00, 407pp, hc) Fantasy novel. A bundle of documents found in a museum reveal the story of a woman, always on the run, who slips through time. First US edition (Chatto & Windus 2001).
Growing Young Dean Warren (Xlibris 1-4010-5163-4, Jun 2002, $29.69, 369pp, hc) SF novel. The discovery of a cure for old age sets off serious repercussions. A trade paperback edition (-5162-6, $19.54) is also available. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.Xlibris.com]; [Orders@Xlibris.com]; or call 1-888-7-XLIBRIS.
The Last Underclass Dean Warren (Xlibris 1-4010-2417-3, 2001, $33.00, 244pp, hc) SF novel. Computers have replaced humans in most occupations, and the unemployed billions are being preyed on by an elite upper class seeking young bodies. A trade paperback edition (-2416-5, $23.00) is also available. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.Xlibris.com]; [Orders@Xlibris.com]; or call 1-888-7-XLIBRIS.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Hounded by Baskervilles Mercer Warriner (Simon Pulse 0-7434-4241-5, Oct 2002, $4.99, 133pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 45th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
A Taste of Blood Wine Freda Warrington (Meisha Merlin 1-892065-48-7, Feb 2002, $16.00, 515pp, tp) Vampire novel. First US edition (Pan 1992).
The Great Escape Ian Watson (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-09-6, May 2002, $24.95, 283pp, hc, cover by Ron Walotsky) Collection of 19 fantastic stories. Watsons introduction discusses the storytelling process and the nature of human consciousness. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- vii · Do Stories Tell Themselves? · in
- 3 · Three-Legged Dog · nv Interzone May 99
- 29 · The Shape of Murder · ss Odyssey #4 98
- 44 · The Great Escape · ss Dantes Disciples, ed. Peter Crowther & Edward E. Kramer, White Wolf, 1996
- 59 · A Day Without Dad · nv New Worlds #222 97
- 78 · Caucus Winter · ss F&SF Jan 99
- 95 · The Amber Room · nv Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 120 · Nanunculus · ss Interzone Jan 97
- 135 · When Thought-Mail Failed · ss New English Library Book of Internet Stories, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, NEL, 2000
- 146 · Early, in the Evening · ss Asimovs Apr 96
- 154 · Ahead! · ss Interzone May 95
- 164 · The China Cottage · ss Destination Unknown, ed. Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1997
- 177 · Such Dedication · ss Interzone Jan 96
- 191 · What Actually Happened in Docklands · ss Interzone Jun 98
- 206 · The Boy Who Lost an Hour, the Girl Who Lost Her Life · ss F&SF Feb 98
- 214 · Tulips from Amsterdam · ss Interzone Aug 96
- 228 · The Descent · ss Interzone Dec 99
- 243 · The Last Beast Out of the Box · ss F&SF May 97
- 256 · Ferryman · ss Science Fiction Age Mar 96
- 275 · My Vampire Cake · ss Worlds of Fantasy & Horror Win 96
The Jonah Kit Ian Watson (Sterling Publishing/Gollancz 0-575-07389-6, May 2002, $14.95, 221pp, tp, cover by Stone) SF novel. This is the Gollancz SF Collectors edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing. First US edition (Gollancz 1975).
Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Child Ian Watson (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-4324-1, Jan 2003, $6.95, 281pp, tp, cover by Clint Langley) [Warhammer 40,000: Inquisition War] Novelization based on the SF role-playing game, third in The Inquisition War trilogy. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (Boxtree 1995).
Warhammer 40,000: Draco Ian Watson (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-4318-7, Sep 2002, $6.95, 238pp, tp) [Warhammer 40,000: Inquisition War] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, first in The Inquisition War series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (GW Books 1990 as Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor).
Warhammer 40,000: Harlequin Ian Watson (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-4322-5, Nov 2002, $6.95, 286pp, tp, cover by Clint Langley) [Warhammer 40,000: Inquisition War] Novelization based on the SF role-playing game, second in The Inquisition War trilogy. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (Boxtree 1994).
Celestial Debris Lawrence Watt-Evans (FoxAcre Press 0-9709711-4-1, Apr 2002, $17.50, 261pp, tp) Collection of 20 stories written since 1990, one original. Watt-Evans provides a general introduction plus individual story introductions. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.foxacre.com], or from FoxAcre Press, 401 Ethan Allen Ave., Takoma Park MD 20912.
- 9 · Introduction · in
- 11 · Fragments · ss Interzone Jul 92
- 17 · How I Maybe Saved the World Last Tuesday Before Breakfast · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Aliens, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1994
- 25 · The Garrison · nv Castle Fantastic, ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 41 · Pickmans Modem · ss IASFM Feb 92
- 49 · Teaching Machines · ss Asimovs Mar 95
- 53 · Keep the Faith · ss Isaacs Universe Volume Two: Phases in Chaos, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Avon, 1991
- 69 · One Mans Meat · nv Isaacs Universe Volume Three: Unnatural Diplomacy, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Avon, 1992
- 93 · Hearts and Flowers · ss Full Spectrum 5, ed. Jennifer Hersh, Tom Dupree & Janna Silverstein, Bantam Spectra, 1995
- 113 · Visions · ss Grails: Quests, Visitations and Other Occurences, ed. Richard Gilliam, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Atlanta, GA: Unnameable Press, 1992
- 121 · One Million Lightbulbs · ss *
- 133 · Larger than Life · ss The Ultimate Zombie, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt, Dell, 1993
- 147 · One of the Boys · nv Superheroes, ed. John Varley & Ricia Mainhardt, Ace, 1995
- 169 · The Sidekick · ss Between the Darkness and the Fire, ed. Jeffry Dwight, Wildside Press/SFF Net, 1998
- 181 · The Murderer · ss Asimovs Apr 93
- 189 · Revised Edition · nv Amazing Stories: The Anthology, ed. Kim Mohan, Tor, 1995
- 211 · Celestial Debris · ss A Starfarers Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1995
- 223 · Targets · ss Aboriginal SF May/Jun 91
- 233 · Choice · ss How to Save the World, ed. Charles Sheffield, Tor, 1995
- 247 · Tomorrow Never Knows · vi Bone Saw Mar 92
- 249 · Unicornucopia · ss Unicorns II, ed. Jack M. Dann & Gardner R. Dozois, Ace, 1992
- 262 · About the Author · Misc. · bg