Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales ed. Kate Bernheimer (Doubleday/Anchor 0-385-48681-2, 2002, $14.00, 365pp, tp) Reprint (Anchor 1998) non-fiction gathering of personal reflections on the meaning and influence of fairy tales by 28 authors; this edition adds essays by Ursula K. Le Guin, Terri Windling, and Midori Snyder.
The Giant Leap Adrian Berry (Tor 0-312-87786-2, Sep 2002, $14.95, 342pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 2001) associational non-fiction science on interstellar travel. Berry has written SF, and also writes as Martin Hale.
Roger Zelaznys The Dawn of Amber John Gregory Betancourt (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-5240-2, Sep 2002, $24.00, 299pp, hc, cover by Scott Grimando) [Dawn of Amber] Fantasy novel, the first in a new trilogy based on Zelaznys Amber books. Copyrighted by Amber Ltd. Co. & ibooks.
Roger Zelaznys The Dawn of Amber John Gregory Betancourt (SFBC #53419, Oct 2002, $12.50, 299pp, hc, cover by Scott Grimando) [Dawn of Amber] Reprint (ibooks 2002) fantasy novel. This is similar to the ibooks edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Isaac Asimovs Robots and Aliens 3 Bruce Bethke & Jerry Oltion (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-4545-7, Jan 2003, $14.00, 427pp, tp, cover by Paul Rivoche) [Robot City] Omnibus of two novelizations in the series based on a concept by Asimov: Isaac Asimovs Robot City: Robots and Aliens Book 5: Maverick (1990) by Bethke and Isaac Asimovs Robot City: Robots and Aliens Book 6: Humanity (1990) by Oltion. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Shadows of Blue & Gray Ambrose Bierce (Tor/Forge 0-765-30244-6, Mar 2002, $24.95, 284pp, hc) Reprint (Neale Publishing 1909-1912 as part of The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce, volumes 1-12) collection of 26 stories, 11 at least borderline supernatural, and nine non-fiction pieces, from the Civil War period.
The Chronocide Mission Lloyd Biggle, Jr. (Wildside Press 1-58715-549-4, Apr 2002, $15.95, 337pp, tp) SF novel, set largely in a post-holocaust future. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online from [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
The Folk Keeper Franny Billingsley (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-85199-5, Jul 2002, $2.99, 162pp, tp, cover by Leonid Gore) Reissue (Atheneum 1999) young-adult fantasy novel about a girl charged with keeping the wild underground folk under control. This is a specially priced Books that Cast a Spell! edition, and indicates first printing.
MechWarrior: Imminent Crisis Randall N. Bills (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45872-9, Mar 2002, $5.99, 271pp, pb, cover by Ed Cox) [Battletech: MechWarrior] Novelization, sixth in a series based on the computer game based on the Battletech role-playing game. Copyrighted by FASA.
Circle of Three 13: And It Harm None Isobel Bird (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-000605-6, Jan 2002, $4.99, 226pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Circle of Three] Young-adult dark fantasy mystery novel, 13th in a series about three modern-day witches.
Circle of Three 14: The Challenge Box Isobel Bird (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-000606-4, Feb 2002, $4.99, 239pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Circle of Three] Young-adult dark fantasy mystery novel, 14th in a series about three modern-day witches.
Circle of Three 15: Initiation Isobel Bird (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-000607-2, Mar 2002, $4.99, 296pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Circle of Three] Young-adult dark fantasy mystery novel, 15th in a series about three modern-day witches.
Shadows and Light Anne Bishop (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45899-0, Oct 2002, $6.99, 420pp, pb, cover by Duane Myers) [Tir Alainn] Fantasy novel, second in the Tir Alainn trilogy after Pillars of the World.
The Pickup Artist Terry Bisson (Tor 0-312-87421-9, Apr 2002, $13.95, 240pp, tp, cover by David Gallo) Reprint (Tor 2001) satiric SF novel.
Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale Holly Black (Simon & Schuster 0-689-84924-9, Oct 2002, $16.95, 310pp, hc, cover by Greg Spalenka) [Kaye] Young-adult contemporary fantasy novel. Kayes life is disrupted by her grandfathers illness and the dark schemes of faeries.
The Angel Factory Terence Blacker (Simon & Schuster 0-689-85171-5, Sep 2002, $16.95, 216pp, hc) Young-adult SF novel. Thomas discovers hes adopted, and his parents are alien angels manipulating humanity. First US edition (Macmillan Childrens Books 2001).
Terminator 2: The New John Connor Chronicles, Book One: Dark Futures Russell Blackford (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-4511-2, Aug 2002, $6.99, 331pp, pb) [Terminator] Novelization based on the world of the movie. Copyrighted by StudioCanal Image SA.
Ancient Sorceries and Other Weird Stories Algernon Blackwood (Penguin US 0-14-218015-7, 2002, $13.00, 374 + xxiii, tp) Collection of nine stories, with introduction and notes by S.T. Joshi.
- vii · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- xix · Suggestions for Further Reading · Misc. · ms
- xxiii · A Note in the Text · Misc. · ms
- 1 · Smith: An Episode in a Lodging House · ss The Empty House, Eveleigh Nash, 1906
- 17 · The Willows · na The Listener and Other Stories, London: Eveleigh Nash, 1907
- 63 · The Insanity of Jones · nv The Listener and Other Stories, London: Eveleigh Nash, 1907
- 87 · Ancient Sorceries [John Silence] · nv John Silence, London: Nash, 1908
- 131 · The Man Who Found Out · ss The Canadian Magazine Dec 12
- 147 · The Wendigo · na The Lost Valley and Other Stories, London: Nash, 1910
- 192 · The Glamour of the Snow · nv The Pall Mall Magazine Dec 11
- 211 · The Man Whom the Trees Loved · n. The London Magazine Mar 12
- 275 · Sand · na Pans Garden, 1912
- 351 · Explanatory Notes · Misc. · ms
Incredible Adventures Algernon Blackwood (Stark House Press 0-9667848-2-0, Aug 2002, $16.95, 212pp, tp, cover by Campbell Shepard) Reprint (Macmillan 1914) collection of five fantasy/mystical stories. This has a new introduction by Tim Lebbon. Order from Stark House Press/Griffin Skye Co, 1945 P Street, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-8768; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
The Year of the Hangman Gary Blackwood (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46921-4, Sep 2002, $16.99, 261pp, hc, cover by Tristan Elwell) Young-adult alternate history set in 1777 after the British have defeated the rebellious American colonies.
The Irresistible Rise of Harry Potter Andrew Blake (Verso 1-85984-666-1, Jun 2002, $19.00, 118pp, hc) [Harry Potter] Non-fiction, a look at how Harry Potter hits the spot by addressing certain anxieties in our changing world, and implications for the global economy. This international edition appears to be identical to the UK edition.
Aminadab Maurice Blanchot (University of Nebraska Press 0-8032-6176-4, Jun 2002, $22.00, 199pp, tp) Semi-surreal, partly allegorical novel of a man trapped in a strange building. Introduction by Jeff Fort, who translated from the French (Editions Gallimard 1949). Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 North 8th St., Lincoln NE 68588-0235; orders 800-755-1105; [email@example.com]; [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu].
The William Ashbless Memorial Cookbook James P. Blaylock & Tim Powers (Subterranean Press 1-931081-46-8, Jan 2002, $40.00, 131pp, hc, cover by Phil Parks) Humorous non-fiction, with recipes, anecdotes, etc. This is a signed, limited edition of 750; a slipcased edition of 150 with additional chapbook (-47-6, $150.00) is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
Supernatural Fiction Writers: Contemporary Fantasy and Horror ed. Richard Bleiler (Gale Group/Charles Scribners Sons 0-684-31250-6, Nov 2002, $240.00, 1048pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to 116 significant contemporary authors who have been active since 1985, an expansion on E.F. Bleilers 1982 Supernatural Fiction Writers: Fantasy and Horror. This comes in two volumes; volume 1 has ISBN -31251-4, volume 2 -31252-2. Available from The Gale Group, PO Box 95501, Chicago IL 60694-5501; 800-877-4253; [www.gale.com]; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
The Lost Bloch, Volume 2: Hell on Earth Robert Bloch (Subterranean Press 1-892284-62-6, 2000, $40.00, 310pp, hc, cover by Bernie Wrightson) Collection of four short novels and novellas from the pulps. Edited and with an afterword by David J. Schow; foreword by Douglas E. Winter. Includes a transcription of portions of a radio interview with Bloch conducted by J. Michael Straczynski and Larry DiTillio. This is a signed (by Schow & Winter) limited edition of 1250; a lettered, traycased edition is also available.
Echo Francesca Lia Block (HarperCollins/Joanna Cotler 0-06-440744-6, Aug 2002, $6.99, 215pp, tp, cover by Suza Scalora) Reprint (HarperCollins/Cotler 2001) young-adult quasi-fantasy novel told through linked stories.
Youre an Animal, Viskovitz! Alessandro Boffa (Random House/Knopf 0-375-40528-3, Jun 2002, $18.00, 176pp, hc, cover by Roz Chast) Collection of 20 interrelated humorous tales in which the narrator takes the form of various animals to demonstrate human foibles. Translated from the Italian (Edizioni Garzanti 1998 as Sei una bestia, Viskovitz) by John Casey with Maria Sanminiatelli.
- 3 · Prologue · pr
- 5 · Hows Life Treating You, Viskovitz? · ss
- 16 · But Dont You Ever Think of Sex, Viskovitz? · ss
- 27 · Youre Losing Your Head, Viskovitz · ss
- 30 · Youre Getting a Little Cuckoo, Viskovitz · ss
- 41 · Youve Got Horns, Viskovitz · ss
- 50 · All That Glitters Is Not Gold, Viskovitz · ss
- 60 · What a Pig You Are, Viskovitz · ss
- 68 · Youve Made Progress, Viskovitz · ss
- 78 · And What Did She Say, Viskovitz? · ss
- 81 · The Less Said, the Better, Viskovitz · ss
- 88 · Youre a Prickly Fellow, Viskovitz · ss
- 100 · Youve Made a Bad Name for Yourself, Viskovitz · ss
- 110 · Who Do You Think You Are, Viskovitz? · ss
- 115 · Youve Found Peace at Last, Viskovitz · ss
- 137 · How Low Youve Sunk, Viskovitz · ss
- 139 · Blood Will Tell, Viskovitz · ss
- 146 · Youre Looking a Little Waxy, Viskovitz · ss
- 157 · You Look Like You Could Use a Drink, Viskovitz · ss
- 160 · There Are Things That Drive You Wild, Viskovitz · ss
- 171 · Youre an Animal, Viskovitz! · ss
Legend of the Five Rings: The Steel Throne Edward Bolme (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2712-7, Mar 2002, $6.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Stephen Daniele) Novelization based on The Spirit Wars card game, a prelude to The Four Winds Saga. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
The Art of John Bolton John Bolton (SQP 0-86562-047-4, Oct 2001, $19.95, 96pp, hc, cover by John Bolton) Art book of selected images by Bolton from 1988-2001. This may have had a previous edition in Germany from mg/publishing/.
Preternatural³ Margaret Wander Bonanno (Tor 0-312-87760-9, Sep 2002, $24.95, 335pp, hc) [Preternatural] SF novel, third in the Preternatural series about an SF writer getting messages from telepathic aliens.
The Far Side of Nowhere Nelson Bond (Arkham House 0-87054-180-3, Mar 2002, $34.95, 423pp, hc, cover by Alan Fore) Collection of 29 stories in five sections, with section introductions and an Epilogue by Bond.
- 1 · Its About Time
- 3 · Command Performance · ss Orb v2 #3 51
- 11 · Parallel in Time · ss Thrilling Wonder Stories Jun 40
- 26 · Time Exposure · ss Blue Book Jul 51
- 45 · Private Line to Tomorrow · ss Blue Book Jan 51
- 58 · The Castaway [as by George Danzell] · ss Planet Stories Win 40
- 74 · The Message from the Void [as by Hubert Mavity] · ss Dynamic Science Stories Feb 39
- 79 · Odds and Ends
- 81 · The Battle of Blue Trout Basin · vi Esquire May 37
- 84 · The Unusual Romance of Ferdinand Pratt · ss Weird Tales Sep 40
- 93 · The Ballad of Blaster Bill · pm Planet Stories Sum 41
- 101 · Case History · vi Fantastic Universe Apr 58
- 105 · Herman and the Mermaid · ss Redbook Jul 43
- 117 · Double, Double, Toil and Trouble · ss Astounding Apr 43
- 123 · Proof of the Pudding · ss Asimovs Oct/Nov 99
- 127 · Pawns of Tomorrow · nv Fantastic Universe May 57
- 155 · Family Circle
- 157 · Magic City [Meg] · nv Astounding Feb 41
- 192 · The Masked Marvel · ss Blue Book Dec 43
- 207 · The Scientific Pioneer Returns [Horse-Sense Hank; Lancelot Biggs] · nv Amazing Nov 40
- 236 · Miracles Made Easy · ss Argosy Apr 15 42
- 247 · In Uffish Thought
- 249 · The Amazing Invention of Wilberforce Weems · ss Fantastic Adventures Sep 39
- 266 · Brother Michel · ss Fantastic Adventures May 42
- 282 · Pipeline to Paradise · ss Wheel of Fortune, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 297 · The World Within · ss Super Science Stories May 42
- 314 · The Geometrics of Johnny Day · ss Astounding Jul 41
- 329 · Wild Talents
- 331 · Mr. Snow White · ss Blue Book Mar 41
- 342 · The Unpremeditated Wizard · ss Blue Book Mar 51
- 359 · The Secret of Lucky Logan · nv Amazing Apr 42
- 381 · The Fertility of Dalrymple Todd · ss Fantastic Adventures Aug 40
- 393 · The Man Who Weighed Minus Twelve · ss Fantastic Adventures Mar 40
- 405 · Occupation: Demigod · nv Unknown Dec 41
- 423 · Epilogue · aw
That Worlds May Live Nelson S. Bond (Wildside Press 1-58715-492-7, Apr 2002, $15.00, 144pp, tp) SF novel, the first book edition of a 1943 short novel, somewhat revised from its original appearance in Amazing. This an on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
Monsters, Mushroom Clouds, and the Cold War: American Science Fiction and the Roots of Postmodernism, 1946-1964 M. Keith Booker (Greenwood Press 0-313-31873-5, Jun 2001, $62.95, 196pp, hc) Non-fiction, looking at SF literature as social criticism, as well as covering film treatments of aliens, monsters, and post-holocaust themes. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com].
In Far Pale Clarity Bruce Boston (Quixsilver Press 0-9615768-0-4, Feb 2002, $4.00, 1pp, ph) Chapbook edition of one poem, illustrated by Margaret Ballif Simon. This is a signed limited edition of 125. Available from Quixsilver Press, PO Box 746, Biglerville PA 17307; [www.science-fiction-poetry-review.net/].
Masque of Dreams: Tales of Illusion and Identity Bruce Boston (Wildside Press 1-58715-273-8, 2001, $39.95, 257pp, hc, cover by Larry Whitney) Collection of 23 stories and 15 poems, including works in collaboration with Brandon Totman, Lee Ballentine, and Robert Frazier. This is copyrighted 2001, but not seen until now. An on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
- 9 · Epigraph: Traveling to Your Heart · Bruce Boston & Brandon Totman · pm Dreams & Nightmares #57, 2000
- 11 · Soldier, Sailor · nv Fiction Magazine #7 74
- 26 · Love in Babylon · ss Figment #16 93
- 34 · Anesthesia Man · ss Palace Corbie #5 94
- 39 · The Blue Pomegranate · pm Dark Regions #15, 2001
- 42 · Depression Seance · nv Fiction Magazine #9 76
- 61 · The Wordmongers Tale · pm Dark Regions & Horror #13 99
- 63 · Interview with a Gentleman Farmer · ss City Miner #1 76
- 66 · Some Concrete Notions About Demons · ss The Magazine of Speculative Poetry #5 87
- 70 · The Monster and the Moon · ss Fiction Magazine #4 73
- 74 · Burning Man · ss New Pathways Jul 88
- 81 · Reflections of a Former Self · vi
- 82 · Another House, Another Home · ss, 1987
- 86 · The Sizing of Curses · pm IASFM May 88
- 87 · Animal Husbandry · ss Masques #4, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1991
- 95 · Tale of the Dread Correspondent · pm Weird Tales Fll, 2000
- 97 · The Eyes of the Crowd · nv Nocturne #1 88
- 108 · A Word Before the Ice Wars · pm SPWAO Showcase #4 84
- 109 · Gulling South · Bruce Boston & Lee Ballentine · nv
- 124 · Three Evocations of the Mutant Rain Forest · gp IASFM mid-Dec 89; Evolution, pm; Expansion, pm; Elan Vital, pm
- 126 · A Missionary of the Mutant Rain Forest · pm IASFM Oct 90
- 128 · Holos at an Exhibition of the Mutant Rain Forest [Holos at an Exhibition] · Bruce Boston & Robert Frazier · nv Amazing Jul 91
- 151 · A Decadent Romantic Afflicted by the Mutant Rain Forest · pm
- 153 · Headed for Prime Time · ss Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine Issue 4, ed. Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Pulphouse, 1989
- 157 · One-Trick Dog · vi IASFM May 87
- 160 · Curse of the Cyberheads Wife · ss Science Fiction Age Sep 94
- 165 · The Last Existentialist · pm Polk City, IA: Chris Drumm Books, 1993
- 170 · Last Existentialist Continues His Descent Into the Maelstrom of the Twenty-First Century... Contemplating the Death of Shadows... Suffering a Hostile Glance as He Moves Along the Quay · pm Dreams & Nightmares #52 99
- 172 · By the Dawns Early Light · vi LC-39 #1 99
- 178 · Interstellar Tract · pm Nuclear Futures, Velocities Chapbook Series, 1987
- 180 · Embracing the Singularity · ss
- 186 · New Colors and Old · pm Mythic Delirium #1 98
- 187 · Houses · nv
- 209 · Confessions of a Body Thief · pm Miami, FL: Talisman, 1998
- 213 · The Poets War · ss City Miner #7 77
- 218 · Scenario for a Muse Cycle So Far Off Broadway There Are Tide Pools in the Wings · pm Cold Tomorrows, Gothic Press, 1998
- 220 · With Vorpal Sword in Hand · ss Realms of Fantasy Apr 96
- 228 · After Magic · na The , Boise, Idaho, 1989
The Children of Green Knowe L. M. Boston (Harcourt 0-15-202468-9, Apr 2002, $6.00, 183pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Green Knowe] Reprint (Faber 1954) young-adult time-travel fantasy novel, first in the Green Knowe series. Illustrated by Peter Boston. A hardcover edition (-202462-X, $17.00) is also available.
An Enemy at Green Knowe L. M. Boston (Harcourt 0-15-202481-6, Apr 2002, $6.00, 171pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Green Knowe] Reprint (Faber 1964) young-adult fantasy novel, fifth in the Green Knowe series, with the original illustrations by Peter Boston. A hardcover edition (-202475-1, $17.00) is also available.
The River at Green Knowe L. M. Boston (Harcourt 0-15-202607-X, Apr 2002, $6.00, 161pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Green Knowe] Reprint (Faber 1959) young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Green Knowe series. Illustrated by Peter Boston. A hardcover edition (-202613-4, $17.00) was announced but not seen.
A Stranger at Green Knowe L. M. Boston (Harcourt 0-15-202589-8, Apr 2002, $6.00, 199pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Green Knowe] Reprint (Faber 1961) young-adult fantasy novel, fourth in the Green Knowe series, with the original illustrations by Peter Boston. A hardcover edition (-202583-9, $17.00) is available.
Treasure of Green Knowe L. M. Boston (Harcourt 0-15-202601-0, Apr 2002, $6.00, 214pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Green Knowe] Reprint (Faber 1958 as The Chimneys of Green Knowe) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Green Knowe series. Illustrated by Peter Boston. A hardcover edition (-202595-2, $17.00) is also available.
World of Darkness: Vampire: A Morbid Initiation Philippe Boulle (White Wolf 1-58846-828-3, Oct 2002, $6.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Christopher Shy) [World of Darkness: Vampire: Victorian Age] Novelization based on the role-playing game, first in the Victorian Age trilogy. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
World of Darkness: Lucifers Shadow ed. Philippe Boulle (White Wolf 1-58846-824-0, Dec 2002, $6.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Matt Milberger) [World of Darkness: Demon: The Fallen] Original anthology of 10 stories based on the Demon: The Fallen dark fantasy role-playing game. Copyrighted by White Wolf.