Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Urban Gothic: Lacuna and Other Trips ed. David J. Howe (Telos Publishing 1-903889-00-6, 2001, £9.99, 252pp, tp) Original anthology of seven horror stories based on, or derived from the scripts of, the TV series. Illustrated by John Howe. A hardcover edition (-01-4) was announced but not seen.
Myth and Magic Poster Collection John Howe (HarperCollins UK 0-00-712332-9, Sep 2001, £12.99, tp) Eight pictures from Myth and Magic, presented in poster form.
Knights Dawn Kim Hunter (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-84149-090-3, Jan 2002, £6.99, 374pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Red Pavilions] Reprint (Orbit 2001) fantasy novel. Book One of The Red Pavilions.
Wizards Funeral Kim Hunter (Orbit 1-84149-097-0, Mar 2002, £9.99, 343pp, tp, cover by blacksheep) [Red Pavilions] Fantasy novel, second in The Red Pavilions trilogy.
Scotch on the Rocks Douglas Hurd & Andrew Osmond (Warner UK 0-7515-3081-6, 2001, £5.99, 224pp, pb) [Harvey] Reprint (Collins 1968) near-future SF novel of Britain fragmenting into civil war. Last in a series after Send Him Victorious and The Smile on the Face of the Tiger. Published in 2001 but not seen till now.
The Virago Book of Erotic Myths and Legends Shahrukh Husain (Virago 1-86049-801-9, Feb 2002, £8.99, 294pp, tp, cover by Georges Barbier) Original collection of 25 pieces (11 reprints) including stories, poems, and novel extracts based on legends.
- 1 · Introduction · in *
- · Section One: Wakenings
- 7 · The City of Longing · Aamer Hussein · ss *; Reworked from the Persian, Haft Paikar by Nizami Ganjevi of Ganja.
- 15 · A Pastoral Song · nv *
- 39 · Amaltheia and Chryse · Harry Robin · ss, 1996; From The Affairs of Zeus (1st Books, 1996).
- 51 · The Vernal Palace · Li Yu · ss; From The Carnal Prayermat (Wordworth Classics, date unknown).
- 70 · The Arousal of Inanna · pm *; Based on the translation by Yitschak Sefat, Love Songs in Sumeria (Barllan University Press, Israel, 1998).
- · Section Two: Desire
- 89 · The Tobacco Plant · Cotti Burland · vi, 1965; From North American Indian Mythology (Hamlyn, London, 1965).
- 90 · Izanagi and Izanami · ss *
- 94 · The Queen of the Summer Country [Guenevere] · Rosalind Miles · ex Simon & Schuster UK, 1999
- 105 · Esets Love Quest · nv *
- 137 · The Ballad of Skirnir · pm *; Based on Part of the Poetic Edda of Iceland by Snorri Sturluson (1177-1350).
- · Section Three: Games of Love
- 149 · Maui [from God - Myths of the Male Divinity] · David Leeming & Jake Page · ex
- 153 · Heras Deceit · ss *; Based on episodes in Homers Iliad.
- 169 · The Conception of Hatshepsut · ss *
- 179 · El [from Mythologies of the Ancient World] · Anon.; trans. by Cyrus H. Gordon · ex Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1961
- 182 · Aromas Trick · Li Yu · ss; From The Carnal Prayermat (Wordworth Classics, date unknown).
- · Section Four: Tales of Lust and Ribaldry
- 201 · The Lusty Lass [from Medieval Welsh Erotic Poetry (Canu Maswedd yr Oesoedd Canol)] · Anon.; trans. by Dafydd Johnstone · ex, 1998
- 203 · Dahama and Moussa [from The Perfumed Garden] · Sir Richard Francis Burton · ex, 1886
- 206 · Daghdas Love Trail · ss *; Based on extract from Cath Maige Tuired (ed. Elizabeth A. Gray), Irish Texts Society, 1982.
- 214 · The Man of Quality I and II [from The Perfumed Garden of Sensual Delight] · Umar Ibn Muhammad Al-Nafzawi; trans. by Jim Colville · ss London: Kegan, Paul & Trench, 1999
- · Section Five: Love Beyond Life (or The Rapturous Gaze)
- 229 · Powder Figures · Anandi Devi · ss *
- 246 · Sappho [from Sapphos Lyre, Archaic Lyric and Women Poets of Ancient Greece] · Sappho; trans. by Diane J. Rayor · pm University of California Press: Berkeley CA, 1991
- 248 · The Sacrifice · ss *
- 261 · Winter at Llanddwyn · Tony Conran · pm, 1999; From An Anglesey Anthology (ed, Dewi Matthews) Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Wales.
- 265 · I Whirl · ss *
- 277 · Notes · ms *
Hybrid Shaun Hutson (Time Warner UK 0-316-86075-1, Aug 2002, £15.99, 383pp, hc, cover by Larry Rostant) Dark fantasy novel. A bestselling authors abilities begin to fade, but his latest book seems to be writing itself.
Dial a Ghost Eva Ibbotson (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-330-39826-1, Oct 2001, £4.99, 152pp, tp, cover by David Parkins) Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 1998) young-adult fantasy novel.
The Haunting of Hiram Eva Ibbotson (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-330-39842-3, Nov 2001, £4.99, 172pp, tp, cover by David Parkins) Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 1987) young-adult fantasy novel.
Geomancer Ian Irvine (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-84149-209-4, Sep 2002, £11.99, 621pp, tp, cover by Lee Gibbons) [Three Worlds: Well of Echoes] Reprint (Viking Australia 2001) fantasy novel, the first volume in The Well of Echoes quartet set in the Three Worlds. [First U.K. edition]
The Arabian Nightmare Robert Irwin (Dedalus 1-873982-73-9, Nov 2002, £6.99, 266pp, tp, cover by Willi Gray) Reissue (Dedalus 1983) literary fantasy novel. Fourth printing.
Rebels Cage Kate Jacoby (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07295-4, Nov 2002, £6.99, 498pp, pb, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Elita] Reprint (Gollancz 2001) fantasy novel, the fourth book of Elita. Jacoby is a pseudonym of Tracy Oliphant.
Trial Of Fire Kate Jacoby (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-06889-2, Nov 2002, £10.99, 441pp, tp, cover by Jon Sullivan) [Elita] Fantasy novel, the fifth and final book in the Elita series. Jacoby is a pseudonym of Tracy Oliphant. A hardcover edition (-06888-4, £17.99) is also available.
The Empire of Darkness Christian Jacq (Simon & Schuster UK 0-7432-3084-1, Nov 2002, £10.99, 306pp, tp, cover by blacksheep) [Queen of Freedom] Historical fantasy novel. Book one in The Queen of Freedom trilogy. Translated from the French LEmpire des Ténèbres (XO Editions 2001) by Sue Dyson. A hardcover edition (-3081-7, £17.99) was announced but not seen.
The Stone of Light: The Place of Truth Christian Jacq (Simon & Schuster/Pocket UK 0-671-77376-3, Jul 2002, £6.99, 408pp, pb, cover by blacksheep) [Stone of Light] Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 2001) historical fantasy novel. Book four in the series. Translated by Sue Dyson from the French original, La Place de Vérité (Xo Editions 2001).
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman Brian Jacques (Penguin/Puffin UK 0-141-31211-4, Mar 2002, £4.99, 327pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Ben and Ned] Reprint (Philomel; Viking UK 2001) young-adult fantasy novel.
Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales Brian Jacques (Red Fox 0-09-987970-0, Oct 2002, £4.99, 151pp, pb) Reprint (Hutchinson 1991) collection of seven original young adult ghost/horror stories, each introduced with a poem by Jacques.
The Taggerung: A Tale of Redwall Brian Jacques (Red Fox 0-09-940928-3, Jun 2002, £5.99, 437pp, pb) [Redwall] Reprint (Hutchinson 2001) young-adult fantasy novel. Book 14 in the Redwall series. Illustrated by Pete Standley.
Triss Brian Jacques (Viking Childrens Books 0-670-91067-8, Oct 2002, £12.99, 402pp, hc, cover by David Wyatt) [Redwall] Reprint (Philomel 2002) fantasy novel, book 15 in the Redwall series. [First U.K. edition]
Perceptualistics Jael (Paper Tiger 1-85585-971-8, May 2002, £20.00, 112pp, hc, cover by Jael) Art book. Text by John Grant.
Intrigues of the Reflected Realm: Deathscent Robin Jarvis (CollinsVoyager 0-00-675386-8, Jun 2002, £5.99, 503pp, tp, cover by Robin Jarvis) Reprint (Collins 2001) young-adult alternate-world fantasy novel. First in a series.
The Xenocide Mission Ben Jeapes (Fickling Books, David 0-385-60412-2, May 2002, £10.99, 388pp, hc) [His Majestys Starship] SF novel, sequel to His Majestys Starship. Humanity and the recently discovered Rusties are confronted by a murderous alien species.
The House of Dust Paul Johnston (Hodder Headline/NEL 0-340-76613-1, Feb 2002, £5.99, 463pp, pb) [Quinn (Quintilian) Dalrymple] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2001) SF novel. Fifth in the Dalrymple series set in the Edinburgh city-state of 2026.
Charmed Life Diana Wynne Jones (Collins 0-00-712407-4, Dec 2001, £5.99, 272pp, tp) [Chrestomanci] Reprint (Macmillan UK 1977) young-adult fantasy novel in the Chrestomanci series. This edition adds a new postscript by Jones. A Collins Modern Classic.
Power of Three Diana Wynne Jones (CollinsVoyager 0-00-711370-6, Nov 2001, £4.99, 299pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) Reprint (Macmillan 1976) young-adult fantasy novel.
Stealer of Souls Diana Wynne Jones (CollinsVoyager 0-00-713758-3, 2002, £1.00, 69pp, tp, cover by Paul Slater) [Chrestomanci] Fantasy novella, originally in Mixed Magics (2000). Issued for World Book Day.
Stopping for a Spell Diana Wynne Jones (CollinsVoyager 0-00-713040-6, Jul 2002, £4.99, 140pp, tp) Reprint (Greenwillow 1993) young-adult fantasy collection. [First U.K. edition]
- 9 · Who Got Rid of Angus Flint? [The Fearsome Friend] · nv Young Winters Tales 6, ed. M. R. Hodgkin, London: Macmillan, 1975
- 73 · Chair Person · nv Things That Go Bump in the Night, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1989
- 123 · The Four Grannies · nv London: Hamish Hamilton, 1980
Wilkins Tooth Diana Wynne Jones (CollinsVoyager 0-00-712965-3, Mar 2002, £4.99, 207pp, tp, cover by Paul Hess) Reprint (Macmillan UK 1973) young-adult fantasy novel.
Bold as Love Gwyneth Jones (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07292-X, Jun 2002, £5.99, 406pp, pb, cover by Anne Sudworth) [Bold as Love] Reprint (Gollancz 2001) fantasy/SF novel. First in a series. Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke award for Best Novel.
Castles Made of Sand Gwyneth Jones (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07033-1, Jul 2002, £10.99, xii+356pp, tp, cover by Anne Sudworth) [Bold as Love] Fantasy/SF novel, second in a series after Bold as Love. A hardcover edition (-07032-3, £17.99) is also available.
The Bakers Boy J. V. Jones (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-375-1, Dec 2001, £6.99, 552pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Book of Words] Reissue (Warner Aspect 1995) fantasy novel, first in The Book of Words trilogy.
The Barbed Coil J. V. Jones (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-568-1, Dec 2001, £7.99, 667pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) Reissue (Warner Aspect 1997) fantasy novel. A ring transports a woman from California to a magic world where patterns have power.
A Cavern of Black Ice J. V. Jones (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-743-9, Apr 2002, £6.99, 804pp, pb, cover by Rob Warner) [Sword of Shadows] Reissue (Orbit 1999) fantasy novel. Book One of Sword of Shadows. Second printing.
A Fortress of Grey Ice J. V. Jones (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-770-6, Apr 2002, £17.99, 654pp, hc) [Sword of Shadows] Fantasy novel, Book Two of the Sword of Shadows series. A trade paperback (export only) edition (-771-4) was announced but not seen.
A Fortress of Grey Ice J. V. Jones (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-996-2, Nov 2002, £7.99, xvii+734pp, pb, cover by Bob Warner) [Sword of Shadows] Reprint (Orbit 2002) fantasy novel, the second book of Sword of Shadows.
A Man Betrayed J. V. Jones (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-402-2, Dec 2001, £7.99, 598pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Book of Words] Reissue (Warner Aspect 1996) fantasy novel, second in The Book of Words trilogy.
Master and Fool J. V. Jones (Little, Brown/Orbit 1-85723-471-5, Dec 2001, £7.99, 688pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Book of Words] Reissue (Warner Aspect 1996) fantasy novel, third in The Book of Words trilogy.
Keep Out the Night ed. Stephen Jones (PS Publishing 1-902880-55-2, Oct 2002, £45.00, 248pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) Anthology of 12 horror stories. Authors include Neil Gaiman, Ramsey Campbell, Michael Marshall Smith, and Kim Newman. Illustrated by Randy Broecker. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a slipcased edition of 100 (-54-4, £65.00) was announced but not seen. PS Publishing, Hamilton House, 4 Park Avenue, Harrogate HG2 9BQ England; [www.pspublishing.co.uk].
- 9 · Introduction: More Not at Night · Stephen Jones · in
- 13 · Invasion from Inferno · Hugh B. Cave · nv Thrilling Mystery May 37
- 37 · The Viaduct · Brian Lumley · ss Superhorror, ed. Ramsey Campbell, W.H. Allen, 1976
- 51 · Spindleshanks (New Orleans, 1956) · Caitlín R. Kiernan · ss Queer Fear, ed. Michael Rowe, Arsenal Pulp, 2000
- 61 · Homecoming · Sydney J. Bounds · ss The 9th Fontana Book of Great Horror Stories, ed. Mary Danby, Fontana, 1975
- 67 · Feeders and Eaters · Neil Gaiman · ss *; originally published in different form in Revolver, 1990.
- 75 · Nothing of Him That Doth Fade · Poppy Z. Brite · ss Aqua Erotica, ed. Mary Anne Mohanraj, Three Rivers Press, 2000
- 83 · The Unfortunate · Tim Lebbon · na As the Sun Goes Down, Night Shade Books, 2000
- 133 · One of Us · Dennis Etchison · ss The Spook (online) Sep, 2001
- 143 · Is There Anybody There? · Kim Newman · nv New English Library Book of Internet Stories, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, NEL, 2000
- 158 · Dear Alison · Michael Marshall Smith · ss The Mammoth Book of Dracula, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1997
- 167 · The Gossips · Basil Copper · ss From Evils Pillow, Arkham House, 1973
- 199 · Needing Ghosts · Ramsey Campbell · na London: Legend, 1990
The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror Volume 13 ed. Stephen Jones (Robinson 1-84119-540-5, Oct 2002, £6.99, 590pp, tp, cover by Pete Rozycki) Annual dark fantasy anthology of 23 stories. This includes works by Elizabeth Hand, Richard A. Lupoff, and Ramsey Campbell. There is a long introduction on the year in horror, and a necrology by Jones and Kim Newman.
- 1 · Introduction: Horror in 2001 · Stephen Jones · ar
- 82 · Mark of the Beast [Captain Luis da Silva] · Chico Kidd · nv Second Sight and Other Stories, Chico Kidd, 2001
- 110 · Crocodile Lady · Christopher Fowler · nv Crimewave #5, 2001
- 131 · All for Sale · Ramsey Campbell · ss Gothic.Net website Nov, 2001
- 145 · The Two Dicks · Paul McAuley · nv F&SF Aug, 2001
- 164 · By Her Hand, She Draws You Down · Douglas Smith · ss The Third Alternative #28, 2001
- 174 · O Death, Where Is Thy Spatula? [Dr. Brite] · Poppy Z. Brite · ss The Spook (online) Jul, 2001
- 188 · Got to Kill Them All · Dennis Etchison · ss Cemetery Dance #34, 2001
- 200 · No More A-Roving · Lynda E. Rucker · ss Darkness Rising I: Nights Soft Pains, ed. L. H. Maynard & M. P. N. Sims, Cosmos Books, 2001
- 215 · First, Catch Your Demon · Graham Joyce · ss Brutarian Fll, 2001
- 229 · Pump Jack · Donald Burleson · ss Bare Bone #1, 2001
- 239 · Outfangthief · Gala Blau · ss The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 2001
- 258 · The Lost District · Joel Lane · ss The Third Alternative #27, 2001
- 273 · Simeon Dimsbys Workshop · Richard A. Lupoff · ss Necronomicon Programme Book 2001, 2001
- 288 · Our Temporary Supervisor · Thomas Ligotti · ss Weird Tales Fll, 2001
- 306 · Whose Ghosts These Are · Charles L. Grant · ss The Museum of Horrors, ed. Dennis Etchison, Leisure, 2001
- 321 · Shite-Hawks · Muriel Gray · ss The Third Alternative #27, 2001
- 334 · Off the Map · Michael Chislett · ss Supernatural Tales #2, 2001
- 352 · Most of My Friends Are Two-Thirds Water · Kelly Link · ss Stranger Things Happen, Small Beer Press, 2001
- 365 · City in Aspic · Conrad Williams · nv Phantoms of Venice, ed. David Sutton, Shadow Publishing, 2001
- 387 · Where All Things Perish · Tanith Lee · nv Weird Tales Fll, 2001
- 425 · Struwwelpeter · Glen Hirshberg · nv Sci Fiction website Nov 28, 2001
- 459 · Cleopatra Brimstone · Elizabeth Hand · na Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, ed. Al Sarrantonio, Penguin/Roc, 2001
- 512 · Cats and Architecture [Captain Luis da Silva] · Chico Kidd · ss Supernatural Tales #2, 2001
- 543 · Necrology: 2001 · Stephen Jones & Kim Newman · bg
- 583 · Useful Addresses · Misc. · ms
Dark Terrors 6: The Gollancz Book of Horror ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07249-0, Oct 2002, £12.99, 499pp, tp, cover by Gary Blythe) Anthology of 33 original dark fantasy stories. Authors include Ramsey Campbell, Stephen Baxter, Tanith Lee, and Michael Marshall Smith. A hardcover edition (-07248-2, £16.99) was announced but not seen.
A Crown of Swords Robert Jordan (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-403-0, Apr 2002, £7.99, 762pp, pb, cover by Lee Gibbons) [Wheel of Time] Reissue (Tor 1996) fantasy novel. Book seven of The Wheel of Time. Fifth printing.
The Dragon Reborn Robert Jordan (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-065-5, Apr 2002, £7.99, 699pp, pb, cover by Lee Gibbons) [Wheel of Time] Reissue (Tor 1991) fantasy novel. Book three of The Wheel of Time. 12th printing.
The Eye of the World Robert Jordan (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-85723-076-0, Apr 2002, £7.99, 814pp, pb, cover by Lee Gibbons) [Wheel of Time] Reissue (Tor 1990) fantasy novel. Book one of The Wheel of Time. 17th printing.