Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Solar Lottery Philip K. Dick (Random House/Vintage 1-4000-3013-7, Jun 2003, $12.00, 200pp, tp) Reprint (Ace 1955) SF novel.
Deus Irae Philip K. Dick & Roger Zelazny (Random House/Vintage 1-4000-3007-2, Nov 2003, $12.00, 182pp, tp) Reprint (Doubleday 1976) SF novel.
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-5029-7, Oct 2003, $9.95, 129 + xi, hc, cover by Mark Summers) [Christmas Carol] Reprint (Chapman & Hall 1843) classic Christmas ghost story. Illustrated by Mark Summers. Introduction by Mitch Glazer.
A Shortcut in Time Charles Dickinson (Tor/Forge 0-765-30639-5, Jan 2004, $14.95, 288pp, tp) Reprint (Forge 2003) fantasy time travel novel.
The Kin Peter Dickinson (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250120-4, Jun 2003, $7.99, 628pp, pb, cover by Angelo Rinaldi) [Kin] Young-adult omnibus of four prehistoric novels, all 1998: Nolis Story, Suths Story, Pos Story, and Manas Story. First US edition (Macmillan UK 1998); a simultaneous Putnam hardcover edition (0-399-24022-5, $24.99, 628pp) is also available.
The Ropemaker Peter Dickinson (Random House/Delacorte 0-385-73063-2, Oct 2003, $7.95, 375pp, tp, cover by Eric Dinyer) [Ropemaker] Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 2001) young-adult fantasy novel about a protected Valley that needs its magic renewed.
The Tears of the Salamander Peter Dickinson (Random House/Lamb 0-385-73098-5, Aug 2003, $16.95, 197pp, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Young-adult fantasy novel. A boy in 19th century Italy discovers the dangerous magical heritage of his fathers family. First US edition (Macmillan UK 5/03).
Dorsai Spirit Gordon R. Dickson (Tor/Orb 0-312-87761-7, Mar 2003, $15.95, 430pp, tp, cover by Luis Royo) [Childe Cycle] Reprint (Tor 2002) military SF omnibus of the fourth novel in the Childe Cycle, Dorsai! (Ace 1960 as The Genetic General; this is copyrighted 1988), and collection The Spirit of Dorsai (1979).
The Human Edge Gordon R. Dickson (Baen 0-7434-7174-1, Dec 2003, $6.99, 406pp, pb, cover by David B. Mattingly) Collection of 12 stories about alien encounters with those puny humans. Edited and with an introduction by Hank Davis.
- 1 · Introduction: The Dickson Edge · Hank Davis · in
- 5 · DangerHuman · ss Astounding Dec 57
- 31 · Sleight of Wit · nv Analog Dec 61
- 53 · In the Bone · ss If Oct 66
- 83 · 3-Part Puzzle · ss Analog Jun 62
- 103 · An Ounce of Emotion · nv If Oct 65
- 133 · Brother Charlie · nv F&SF Jul 58
- 175 · The Game of Five · nv F&SF Apr 60
- 217 · Tiger Green · nv If Nov 65
- 247 · The Hard Way · nv Analog Jan 63
- 297 · Jackals Meal · nv Analog Jun 69
- 325 · On Messenger Mountain · na Worlds of Tomorrow Jun 64
- 391 · The Catch · ss Astounding Apr 59
EarthRise William C. Dietz (Ace 0-441-01104-7, Oct 2003, $7.99, 418pp, pb, cover by Edwin Herder) [Jack Manning] Reprint (Ace 2002) SF novel, sequel to DeathDay.
For More Than Glory William C. Dietz (Ace 0-441-01091-1, Oct 2003, $24.95, 488pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) [Legion of the Damned] Military SF novel, fifth in the Legion of the Damned series.
Halo: The Flood William C. Dietz (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45921-0, Apr 2003, $6.99, 341pp, pb) [Halo] Novelization, the second based on the computer game. Copyrighted by Microsoft.
Bulletproof Monk J. M. Dillard (Pocket Star 0-7434-7431-7, Apr 2003, $6.99, 279pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures.
Star Trek: Enterprise: Suraks Soul J. M. Dillard (Pocket 0-7434-6280-7, Mar 2003, $6.99, 218pp, pb) [Star Trek: Enterprise] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Enterprise: The Expanse J. M. Dillard (Pocket 0-7434-8485-1, Oct 2003, $12.00, 247pp, tp, cover by Doug Drexler) [Star Trek: Enterprise] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Hive of Dreams: Contemporary Science Fiction from the Pacific Northwest ed. Grace L. Dillon (Oregon State University Press 0-87071-555-0, Sep 2003, $19.95, 278pp, tp) Anthology of 14 stories and novel excerpts by authors including Ursula K. Le Guin, John Varley, and William Gibson. Part of the Northwest Readers series.
- 1 · Introduction · Grace L. Dillon · in
- 11 · The Good Trip · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss Fantastic Aug 70
- 21 · from The Female Man · Joanna Russ · ex New York: Bantam, 1975
- 31 · The Byrds · Michael G. Coney · ss Changes, ed. Michael Bishop & Ian Watson, Ace, 1983
- 45 · from The Parable of the Sower [Parable] · Octavia E. Butler · ex Four Walls Eight Windows, 1993
- 61 · The from Dazzle of Day · Molly Gloss · ex New York: Tor, 1997
- 81 · Story of Your Life · Ted Chiang · na Starlight 2, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1998
- 123 · The Rock That Changed Things · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss Amazing Sep 92
- 135 · from Neuromancer · William Gibson · ex New York: Ace, 1984
- 155 · from Steel Beach [Eight Worlds] · John Varley · ex New York: Putnam, 1992
- 173 · from Microserfs · Douglas Coupland · ex
- 197 · from The Diamond Age · Neal Stephenson · ex Bantam Spectra, 1995
- 215 · from /Slant · Greg Bear · ex London: Legend, 1997
- 251 · from Plowing the Dark · Richard Powers · ex New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 2000
- 261 · from Idoru [Virtual Light] · William Gibson · ex New York: Putnam, 1996
- 277 · Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
On Wings of Song Thomas M. Disch (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-1122-1, Jan 2003, $12.00, 315pp, tp) Reprint (St. Martins 1979) SF novel. Winner of the John W. Campbell Jr. Memorial Award.
The Prisoner Thomas M. Disch (ibooks 0-7434-7533-X, Nov 2003, $6.99, 242pp, pb) [Prisoner] Reprint (Ace 1967) novelization of the TV series. Copyrighted by Carlton International Media Limited.
The Conch Bearer Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (Millbrook/Roaring Brook Press/Porter 0-7613-1935-2, Sep 2003, $16.95, 265pp, hc) [Brotherhood of the Conch] Young-adult fantasy novel. The boy Anand must take a mystical conch shell from Calcutta to its Himalayan home.
The Beginning, the Seventh Storm, the End Vu X. Do (iUniverse 0-595-27354-8, Aug 2003, $18.95, 312pp, tp) SF novel. Mars rules the solar system thanks to a secret source of unlimited energy. A print-on-demand book, available online at [www.iuniverse.com], or from iUnivers, 2021 Pine Lake Road, Suite 100, Lincoln NE 68512.
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom Cory Doctorow (Tor 0-765-30436-8, Feb 2003, $22.95, 208pp, hc) SF novel. A man realizes his dream of moving into Disney World only to find groups in a violent feud over the maintenance of the ancient theme park. A first novel.
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom Cory Doctorow (Tor 0-765-30953-X, Dec 2003, $12.95, 208pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel.
A Place So Foreign and Eight More Cory Doctorow (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-286-2, Oct 2003, $13.95, 243pp, tp) Collection of nine stories, one original. Introduction by Bruce Sterling.
- 1 · Introduction: The Kingdom of Magic Junk · Bruce Sterling · in *
- 5 · Craphound · ss Science Fiction Age Mar 98
- 27 · A Place So Foreign · na Science Fiction Age Jan, 2000
- 79 · All Day Sucker · ss *
- 85 · To Market, to Market: The Rebranding of Billy Bailey [The Rebranding of Billy Bailey] · ss Interzone Aug, 2000
- 99 · Return to Pleasure Island · ss Realms of Fantasy Aug, 2000
- 125 · Shadow of the Mothaship · ss Amazing Win, 2000
- 151 · Home Again, Home Again · nv Tesseracts 8, ed. John Clute & Candas Jane Dorsey, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1999
- 181 · The Super Man and the Bugout · ss On Spec Fll, 2001
- 207 · 0wnz0red · nv Salon Aug 28, 2002
Area 51: Nosferatu Robert Doherty (Dell 0-440-23724-6, Jul 2003, $6.99, 310pp, pb) [Area 51] SF thriller, eighth in the Area 51 series, and first in a new storyline about ancient vampires, sired by the recently defeated aliens, now ready to become a force on Earth. Doherty is a pen name for Bob Mayer.
Charmed: Truth and Consequences Cameron Dokey (Simon Pulse 0-689-85791-8, Nov 2003, $5.99, 196pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the 21st based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
The Modern Art Cave ed. Erin Donahoe (iUniverse/Writers Club Press 0-595-26180-9, 2002, $11.95, 139pp, tp, cover by Cathy Buburuz) Poetry anthology with 41 poems and three short-short stories, with numerous illustrations by various artists. This is dated 2002, but not seen until now. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.iuniverse.com], or from iUniverse, 2021 Pine Lake Road, Suite 100, Lincoln NE 68512.
A Man Rides Through Stephen R. Donaldson (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45984-9, Jun 2003, $15.95, 661pp, tp, cover by Sandy Young) [Mordants Need] Reprint (Del Rey 1987) fantasy novel, second in the Mordants Need duology.
The Man Who Killed His Brother Stephen R. Donaldson (Tor 0-765-34125-5, Oct 2003, $7.99, 220pp, pb) Reprint (Ballantine 1980 as by Reed Stephens) associational mystery. This follows the 2002 revised text.
The Man Who Risked His Partner Stephen R. Donaldson (Tor/Forge 0-765-30204-7, Nov 2003, $24.95, 288pp, hc) Reprint (Ballantine 1986 as by Reed Stephens) associational mystery. This has been revised.
The Mirror of Her Dreams Stephen R. Donaldson (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45985-7, Jun 2003, $15.95, 642pp, tp, cover by Sandy Young) [Mordants Need] Reprint (Collins 1986) fantasy novel, first in the Mordants Need duology.
The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Stephen R. Donaldson (SFBC #58174, Aug 2003, $19.99, 984pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Thomas Covenant, II] Omnibus of the fourth through sixth novels in the Thomas Covenant series: The Wounded Land (1980), The One Tree (1982) and White Gold Wielder (1983). First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1994 as The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever).
Assault on Atlantis Greg Donegan (Jove 0-515-13630-1, Nov 2003, $6.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Atlantis] Science fiction novel, fifth in the Atlantis series. Donegan is a pen name for Bob Mayer.
Caesars Column: A Story of the Twentieth Century Ignatius Donnelly (Wesleyan University Press 0-8195-6666-7, Nov 2003, $22.95, 275 + lv, tp) Reprint (F.J. Schulte 1890 as by Edmund Boisgilbert, M.D.) SF novel of a dystopian 1988 NYC as seen by a visitor from the utopian Swiss colony of Uganda. This is a critical edition edited and with an introduction by Nicholas Ruddick, plus chronology, notes, and bibliography. A hardcover edition (-6665-9, $65.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University Press of New England, Order Department, 37 Lafayette Street, Lebanon NH 03766-1405; 800-421-1561; [www.wesleyan.edu/wespress].
Land/Space: An Anthology of Prairie Speculative Fiction ed. Candas Jane Dorsey & Judy McCrosky (Books Collective/Tesseract 1-895836-92-1, Oct 2002, $28.95, 256pp, hc, cover by Robert Pasternak) Original anthology of 26 stories and nine poems involving prairies. Authors include Sophie Masson, Carolyn Clink, and Ursula Pflug. Foreword by Judy McCrosky; afterword by Candas Jane Dorsey. A trade paperback edition (-90-5, $16.95) was announced but not seen. Order from Tesseract Books, The Books Collective, 214-21 10405 Jasper Ave., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5J 3S2; [www.bookscollective.com].
The Adventuress Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-765-34715-6, Jan 2004, $6.99, 403pp, pb, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Irene Adler; Sherlock Holmes] Reprint (Tor 1991 as Good Morning, Irene) associational mystery second in the series featuring Irene Adler.
Another Scandal in Bohemia Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-765-34325-8, Jan 2003, $6.99, 467pp, pb, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Irene Adler; Sherlock Holmes] Reprint (Forge 1994 as Irenes Last Waltz) associational mystery in the Irene Adler series of Holmesian pastiches. This includes a 15-page readers guide.
Castle Rouge Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-765-34571-4, Sep 2003, $6.99, 474pp, pb, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Irene Adler] Reprint (Forge 2002) associational mystery, sixth in the Irene Adler series of Holmesian pastiches.
Cat in a Midnight Choir Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-812-57021-9, May 2003, $6.99, 392pp, pb, cover by Roger Loveless) [Midnight Louie] Reprint (Forge 2002) associational mystery, #14 in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
Cat in a Neon Nightmare Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-765-30680-8, May 2003, $24.95, 365pp, hc, cover by Roger Loveless) [Midnight Louie] Associational mystery, #15 in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
Femme Fatale Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-765-30682-4, Oct 2003, $25.95, 492pp, hc, cover by Glenn Harrington) [Irene Adler] Associational mystery, seventh in the Irene Adler series of Holmesian pastiches.
Star Corps Ian Douglas (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-81824-8, Apr 2003, $7.50, 436pp, pb) [Legacy] Military SF novel, Book One of the Legacy trilogy. An expedition from Earth seeks to free humans enslaved by the alien Ahanu.
The Isle Beyond Time L. Warren Douglas (Baen 0-7434-3598-2, Mar 2003, $7.99, 432pp, pb, cover by Dominic Harman) [Sorceresss Tale] Fantasy novel, third in the trilogy begun in The Sacred Pool.
Beyond the Hanging Wall Sara Douglass (Tor 0-765-30449-X, Jul 2003, $24.95, 348pp, hc, cover by Greg Call) Fantasy novel. Garth has The Touch that allows the Kingdom of Escators physicians to sense their patients pain and emotions. First US edition (Hodder Headline Australia 1996).
Hades Daughter Sara Douglass (SFBC #55802, Feb 2003, $13.99, 592pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Troy Game] Reprint (HarperCollins Australia 2002) fantasy novel, first in The Troy Game. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Hades Daughter Sara Douglass (Tor 0-765-34442-4, Sep 2003, $7.99, 645pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Troy Game] Reprint (HarperCollins Australia 2002) fantasy novel, first in The Troy Game.
Threshold Sara Douglass (Tor 0-312-87687-4, Sep 2003, $25.95, 448pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) Fantasy novel, a standalone. A glassworker slave may hold the key to stopping a great evil from breaking loose. A First US edition (HarperCollins Australia 1997).
The Greenhouse Conspiracy John Dowdee (iUniverse.com 0-595-27059-X, Apr 2003, $16.95, 271pp, tp) SF thriller. Eco-terrorists manipulate the weather. A print-on-demand book, available online at [www.iuniverse.com].
Hatching Magic Ann Downer (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum 0-689-83400-4, May 2003, $16.95, 242pp, hc, cover by Omar Rayyan) [Hatching Magic] Young-adult fantasy novel. Gideon follows his missing pet wyvern from 13th-century England to Boston, MA in 2002.
A Working of Stars Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald (Tor 0-812-57193-2, Jul 2003, $6.99, 341pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Mageworlds] Reprint (Tor 2002) science fantasy novel, eighth in the overall Mageworlds series, second in the prequel trilogy going back to the beginnings of the Magewars.
Strangers Gardner Dozois (ibooks 0-7434-5846-X, Apr 2003, $12.00, 191pp, tp, cover by Scott Grimando) Reprint (Berkley Putnam 1978) SF novel.
The Years Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-30860-4, Jul 2003, $19.95, 648 + xxxix, tp, cover by Dominic Harman) Best-of-the-year anthology of 25 stories, with a summation of the year by Dozois. A St. Martins hardcover edition (-30759-0, $24.95) is also available. [pagination from SFBC edition]
- xi · Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
- xiii · Introduction · Anon. · in
- 1 · Breathmoss [Ten Thousand and One Worlds] · Ian R. MacLeod · na Asimovs May, 2002
- 65 · The Most Famous Little Girl in the World · Nancy Kress · ss Sci Fiction website May 8, 2002
- 88 · The Passenger [Quiet War] · Paul McAuley · nv Asimovs Mar, 2002
- 117 · The Political Officer · Charles Coleman Finlay · na F&SF Apr, 2002
- 167 · Lambing Season · Molly Gloss · ss Asimovs Jul, 2002
- 179 · Coelacanths · Robert Reed · nv F&SF Mar, 2002
- 203 · Presence · Maureen F. McHugh · nv F&SF Mar, 2002
- 228 · Halo [Macx Family] · Charles Stross · nv Asimovs Jun, 2002
- 263 · In Paradise · Bruce Sterling · ss F&SF Sep, 2002
- 274 · The Old Cosmonaut and the Construction Worker Dream of Mars · Ian McDonald · nv Mars Probes, ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, 2002
- 301 · Stories for Men [Society of Cousins] · John Kessel · na Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2002
- 373 · To Become a Warrior · Chris Beckett · ss Interzone Jun/Jul, 2002
- 387 · The Clear Blue Seas of Luna · Gregory Benford · nv Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2002
- 418 · V.A.O. · Geoff Ryman · na PS Publishing, 2002
- 452 · Winters Are Hard · Steven Popkes · ss Sci Fiction website Nov 13, 2002
- 480 · At the Money [Orlando Coria] · Richard Wadholm · nv Asimovs Apr, 2002
- 514 · Agent Provocateur · Alexander Irvine · ss Strange Horizons (online) Apr 1, 2002
- 526 · Singleton · Greg Egan · nv Interzone Feb, 2002
- 576 · Slow Life · Michael Swanwick · nv Analog Dec, 2002
- 599 · A Flock of Birds · James Van Pelt · ss Sci Fiction website Aug 28, 2002
- 617 · The Potter of Bones [Hwarhath] · Eleanor Arnason · na Asimovs Sep, 2002
- 663 · The Whisper of Discs · John Meaney · nv Interzone Oct, 2002
- 699 · The Hotel at Harlans Landing [The Company] · Kage Baker · ss Black Projects, White Knights, Golden Gryphon Press, 2002
- 712 · The Millennium Party · Walter Jon Williams · vi Infinite Matrix (online) Aug 5, 2002
- 715 · Turquoise Days [Inhibitor] · Alastair Reynolds · na Golden Gryphon Press, 2002
- 789 · Honorable Mentions: 2002 · Misc. · ms