Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
DragonLance: The Minotaur Wars, Volume One: Night of Blood Richard A. Knaak (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2938-3, Jun 2003, $24.95, 344pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [DragonLance: Minotaur Wars] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, first in a new series. Prologue by Margaret Weis. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
DragonLance: The Minotaur Wars, Volume One: Night of Blood Richard A. Knaak (SFBC #61799, Nov 2003, $12.49, 344pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [DragonLance: Minotaur Wars] Reprint (Wizards of the Coast 2003) novelization based on the roleplaying game. This is similar to the Wizards of the Coast edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Darker Passions: Frankenstein Amarantha Knight (Circlet Press 1-885865-35-X, Oct 2003, $14.95, 217pp, tp, cover by Adrian Welch) [Darker Passions; Frankenstein] Reprint (Masquerade 1995) erotic horror novel based on Mary Shelleys classic. Knight is a pen name for Nancy Kilpatrick. Order from Circlet Press, 1770 Massachusetts Ave. #278, Cambridge MA 02140; [www.circlet.com].
Way of the Wolf E. E. Knight (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45939-3, Sep 2003, $6.50, 391pp, pb, cover by Koveck) [Vampire Earth] SF horror novel, Book One of The Vampire Earth. Aliens who feed on human souls have taken Earth, opposed by guerillas who call themselves the Wolves. Previously published as an e-book. A first novel. Copyrighted by Eric E. Frisch.
Risen J. Knight (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1612-4, Jan 2004, $5.99, 407pp, pb) Reprint (Xlibris 2000 as by Jan Strnad) horror novel. Knight is a pen name for Jan Steven Strnad.
The Buzzing Jim Knipfel (Random House/Vintage 1-4000-3183-4, Mar 2003, $12.00, 259pp, tp) Offbeat novel with possible SF elements. Reporter Roscoe Baragon goes from covering the kook beat to piecing together a paranoid conspiracy theory of his own one that might just be true. A first novel.
Daylight Elizabeth Knox (Ballantine 0-345-45795-1, Apr 2003, $23.95, 356pp, hc) Literary vampire novel. A New Zealand police expert on vacation in France finds a dead body and his investigation leads to a community of vampires.
Master of Middle-Earth: The Fiction of J.R.R. Tolkien Paul H. Kocher (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46560-1, Sep 2003, $12.95, 247pp, tp, cover by Greg & Tim Hildebrandt) Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 1972) non-fiction, critical study. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Maiden #1: Out of the Ashes Karen Koehler (KHP Industries/Black Death Books 0-9679220-3-8, Jul 2003, $16.00, 245pp, tp) SF novel of a cyborg woman on a mission of vengeance. This is a print-on-demand book available online at [www.khpindustries.com].
Slayer: Stigmata Karen Koehler (KHP Industries/Black Death Books 0-9679220-8-9, Sep 2003, $29.00, 558pp, tp) [Alek Knight] Horror novel featuring the vampire hunter Alek Knight. This is a print-on-demand book available online at [www.khpindustries.com] or from KHP Industries, PO Box 588, Effort PA 18330.
Galactic Geographic Annual 3003 Karl Kofoed (Sterling/Paper Tiger 1-84340-070-7, Jun 2003, $21.95, 128pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Art book, a supposed annual issue of a future magazine. This is the Paper Tiger UK edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing, 387 Park Avenue S., New York NY 10016-8810; 800-805-5489; [www.sterlingpub.com].
The Keepers, Book Two: The Wizards Apprentice Jackie French Koller (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-85591-5, Oct 2003, $4.99, 175pp, tp, cover by Rebecca Guay) [Keepers] Young-adult fantasy novel, second in a trilogy. Princess Nells father changes his mind and refuses to let her study wizardry.
The Keepers: A Wizard Named Nell Jackie French Koller (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-85591-5, Oct 2003, $4.99, 180pp, tp, cover by Rebecca Guay) [Keepers] Young-adult fantasy novel, first in a trilogy.
Interstellar Travel and Multi-Generation Space Ships ed. Yoji Kondo, Frederick Bruhweiler, John Moore & Charles Sheffield (Apogee Books 1-896522-99-8, Jul 2003, $24.95, 125pp, hc, cover by Paul McGhee) Associational non-fiction, a collection of papers presented at the American Association for the Advancement of Science symposium in 2002, considering the technical and social issues of interstellar travel. Authors include Geoffrey Landis, Joe Haldeman, and Robert Forward.
By the Light of the Moon Dean Koontz (SFBC #54913, Feb 2003, $13.50, 353pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (Headline 2002) horror novel. This is similar to the Bantam US edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
By the Light of the Moon Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58276-3, Nov 2003, $7.99, 460pp, pb, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (Headline 2002) horror novel.
Every Days a Holiday: Amusing Rhymes for Happy Times Dean Koontz (HarperCollins 0-06-008584-3, Oct 2003, $17.99, 132pp, hc, cover by Phil Parks) Associational young-adult collection of 64 poems celebrating holidays both real and imaginary. Illustrated by Phil Parks.
- 1 · Holiday Gifts · pm *
- 2 · Stop the World! Its Your Birthday! · pm *
- 4 · Holiday Data Glitch · pm *
- 6 · New Years Eve · pm *
- 7 · New Years Day · pm *
- 8 · Appropriate Holiday Entertainment · pm *
- 10 · Carnival! · pm *
- 12 · Gravity Day · pm *
- 13 · Martin Luther King, Jr. Day · pm *
- 14 · Snow Day · pm *
- 16 · Valentines Day · pm *
- 18 · Abraham Lincolns Birthday · pm *
- 18 · George Washingtons Birthday · pm *
- 20 · Saint Patricks Day · pm *
- 22 · The First Day of Spring · pm *
- 24 · Every Days a Holiday · pm *
- 26 · Easter: The Danger of Improving Holiday Traditions · pm *
- 28 · April Fools Day · pm *
- 30 · Sakura Matsuki (Cherry Blossom Festival) · pm *
- 32 · Dino Day · pm *
- 34 · Cinco de Mayo · pm *
- 35 · Teachers Day · pm *
- 36 · Annual Animals Day in Court · pm *
- 42 · Mothers Day Is Every Day, Thanks to Us · pm *
- 44 · Cat Day · pm *
- 46 · Memorial Day · pm *
- 48 · Things That Can Spoil a Good Holiday · pm *
- 50 · Fathers Day · pm *
- 52 · The Eighteen Acceptable Excuses Not to Celebrate a Holiday · pm *
- 54 · Toad Day · pm *
- 57 · The Last Day of School, the Saddest Day of the Year · pm *
- 58 · Graduation Day · pm *
- 60 · The First Day of Summer · pm *
- 61 · Me Day · pm *
- 62 · Independence Day: Free to Be Ignorant Old Me · pm *
- 64 · Dog Day · pm *
- 66 · Friendship Day · pm *
- 68 · Holidays on Other Planets · pm *
- 73 · Labor Day · pm *
- 74 · Grandfathers Day · pm *
- 76 · Grandmas Day or Why One Day There Will Be Good Cookies on the Moon · pm *
- 78 · The First Day of Autumn · pm *
- 80 · Lost-Tooth Day · pm *
- 82 · Rosh Hashanah · pm *
- 84 · Troll Day, Whether You Like It or Not · pm *
- 86 · Yom Kippur · pm *
- 88 · Holiday Dinner · pm *
- 89 · Columbus Day · pm *
- 90 · How to Get to Sleep Before a Holiday · pm *
- 91 · Mr. Halloween · pm *
- 94 · What Should Go into a Holiday Pie · pm *
- 96 · Día de los Muertos · pm *
- 98 · Praise-the-Chicken Dayor Else · pm *
- 102 · Diwali by Golly · pm *
- 104 · National Book Week: Why Paper Tigers Are the Preferred Breed · pm *
- 106 · Holiday, Holinight · pm *
- 108 · Thanksgiving Turkey Dressed in Hand-Me-Downs · pm *
- 110 · The First Day of Winter · pm *
- 113 · The Shortest Day of the Year · pm *
- 114 · Christmas Eve · pm *
- 117 · Christmas Day · pm *
- 118 · Up-Is-Down Day · pm *
- 124 · Kwanzaa · pm *
- 127 · Not the Stuff of Holidays · pm *
The Face Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-80248-8, Jun 2003, $26.95, 609pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Horror novel. A Hollywood star keeps getting terrifying packages despite his security chiefs best efforts. A previous or simultaneous Charnel House edition was announced but not seen.
The Face Dean Koontz (SFBC #57259, Jun 2003, $14.99, 559pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (Bantam 2003) supernatural suspense novel. This is similar to the Bantam edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Lightning Dean Koontz (Berkley 0-425-19203-2, Sep 2003, $7.99, 363pp, pb) Reissue (Putnam 1988) SF suspense novel. This has a new afterword by Koontz. 34th printing.
Odd Thomas Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-80249-6, Dec 2003, $26.95, 399pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Suspense novel/thriller about a short-order cook who communicates with the dead.
The Paper Doorway: Funny Verse and Nothing Worse Dean Koontz (HarperTrophy 0-06-440984-8, Mar 2003, $8.99, 159pp, tp, cover by Phil Parks) Reprint (HarperCollins 2001) young-adult poetry collection, illustrated by Phil Parks.
Watchers Dean Koontz (Berkley 0-425-18880-9, Feb 2003, $7.99, 487pp, pb) Reissue (Putnam 1987) horror novel. This has a new afterword by Koontz and a new ISBN. 40th printing.
The Ruined City David C. Kopaska-Merkel (Gnarled Totem Press, Jan 2003, $5.00, 28pp, ph, cover by GAK) Chapbook collection of 10 SF poems, two original. Introduction by Gloundan Smorpian. This is a signed, limited edition of 100. Order from the author at 1300 Kicker Rd., Tuscaloosa AL 35404; [www.cafepress.com/asteroid2019]; postage included in price.
- · Introduction · Gloundan Smorpian · in
- · Hope · pm hunger, 1995
- · Burnt Offering · pm Xenophilia, 1992
- · Lich Light · pm Mythic Delirium #5, 2001
- · This morning · pm *
- · Carmen believed that she was being followed · pm Star*Line v23 #3, 2000
- · I Dont Know What Youre Having · pm Speculon, 2001
- · Some of the Windows of My House · pm Midnight Zoo calendar, 1993
- · Dead Skies · pm *
- · Valley of Years · pm Results of a Preliminary Investigation of Electrochemical Properties of Some Organic Matrices, Eraserhead Press, 2000
- · Shy Moon · pm Results of a Preliminary Investigation of Electrochemical Properties of Some Organic Matrices, Eraserhead Press, 2000
All the Mutant Trash in All the Galaxies M. F. Korn (Eraserhead Press 0-9729598-4-X, Sep 2003, $16.95, 356pp, tp, cover by Todd Brannon) Omnibus/collection of three original short novels and one novella: The Man Who Loved in Light Years, with an introduction by D.F. Lewis; Movietone Mars, introduction by Jeffrey Thomas; The Trouble with Xenodes (Tilting Planet), introduction by Sherry Decker; Galactic Smut Merchants, introduction by Hertzan Chimera. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.eraserheadpress.com] or from Eraserhead Press, 16455 E. Fairlynn Drive, Fountain Hills AZ 85268.
- 4 · Introduction to The Man Who Loved in Light Years · D. F. Lewis · is
- 5 · The Man Who Loved in Light Years · na
- 97 · Mars Attacks: An Introduction to Movietone Mars · Jeffrey Thomas · is
- 99 · Movietone Mars · na
- 203 · Introduction to The Trouble with Xenodes · Sherry Decker · is
- 205 · The Trouble with Xenodes · na Weird Stories Jan 89 (+1)
- 271 · Introduction to Galactic Smut Merchants · Hertzan Chimera · is
- 272 · Galactic Smut Merchants · na
- 357 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
Rachmaninoffs Ghost M. F. Korn (Silver Lake Publishing 1-931095-41-8, Jan 2003, $12.95, 146pp, tp, cover by Carlton Mellick, III) Horror novel about a would-be pianist obsessed with Rachmaninoff and the occult. This previously appeared in electronic form; a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.silverlakepublishing.com].
The Adventures of Flash Jackson William Kowalski (HarperCollins 0-06-621136-0, Jan 2003, $24.95, 310pp, hc) Fantasy novel. A bored young woman takes up the family tradition of healing and witchcraft.
Religions of Star Trek Ross S. Kraemer, William Cassidy & Susan L. Schwartz (Perseus Books Group/Westview Press 0-8133-4115-9, Aug 2003, $12.95, 246 + x, tp) [Star Trek] Non-fiction, an academic examination of religious themes as tackled in Star Trek. Includes notes and index.
Stranger Inside Steven Krane (DAW 0-7564-0128-3, Feb 2003, $6.99, 443pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) SF thriller of mysterious teen deaths, and a boy whos the only known survivor. Krane is a pen name for Steven Swiniarski (aka S. Andrew Swann).
A State of Disobedience Tom Kratman (Baen 0-7434-7170-9, Dec 2003, $22.00, 314pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) Near-future SF novel about a new American revolution against a dictatorial president in 2060.
Crossfire Nancy Kress (Tor 0-765-30467-8, Feb 2003, $24.95, 364pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Crossfire] SF novel. Humans settling a new colony world discover primitive aliens.
Nothing Human Nancy Kress (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-18-5, Sep 2003, $26.95, 300pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) SF novel. Children receive a message that the pribir are coming to the devastated planet Earth. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
Probability Space Nancy Kress (Tor 0-765-34514-5, Jan 2004, $6.99, 367pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Probability] Reprint (Tor 2002) SF novel, the third volume in the "Probability" trilogy.
Probability Sun Nancy Kress (Tor 0-765-34355-X, Feb 2003, $6.99, 347pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Probability] Reprint (Tor 2001) SF novel, sequel to Probability Moon.
Nebula Awards Showcase 2003 ed. Nancy Kress (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45909-1, Apr 2003, $14.95, 231pp, tp, cover by David Sandberg) Anthology of Nebula Award-winning fiction and nominees five stories and one novel excerpt plus two Rhysling Award-winning poems, an appreciation of Betty Ballantine, and commentary on SF from eight authors. The 37th volume in the annual series, the second from Roc.
Imagination Fully Dilated: Science Fiction ed. Robert Kruger & Patrick Swenson (Fairwood Press 0-9668184-8-2, Aug 2003, $17.99, 222pp, tp, cover by Alan M. Clark) Original anthology of 16 SF stories inspired by the art of Alan M. Clark, the third volume (first from this publisher) of The Literated Artwork of Alan M. Clark. Authors include Melissa Scott, Jerry Oltion, and Leslie What. Illustrations and an introduction by Alan M. Clark. A hardcover edition (-9-0, $26.99) is also available. Order from Fairwood Press, 5203 Quincy Ave. SE, Auburn WA 98092; add $1.00 postage; [www.fairwoodpress.com].
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: Christmas Crisis Nancy Krulik (Simon Pulse 0-689-85582-6, Oct 2003, $4.99, 155pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 51st in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch: What a Doll! Nancy Krulik (Simon Pulse 0-689-85580-X, Aug 2003, $4.99, 155pp, pb) [Sabrina, the Teenage Witch] Young-adult novelization, 50th in the series based on the TV show based on the Archie Comic. Copyrighted by Viacom Productions.
Emprise Michael P. Kube-McDowell (ibooks 0-7434-7536-4, Nov 2003, $11.95, 407pp, tp) [Trigon Disunity] Reprint (Berkley 1985) SF novel, book one of the Trigon Disunity series. This has new introductory material by the author and adds the story Antithesis.
The Guin Saga, Book One: The Leopard Mask Kaoru Kurimoto (Vertical 1-932234-51-9, Jun 2003, $22.95, 231pp, hc) [Guin Saga] Japanese heroic fantasy novel, first in a series of 100 (at least 89 have already appeared in Japan). Twin heirs to an overrun kingdom are saved by a man with a mans body, a leopards head, and amnesia. Translated by Alexander O. Smith & Elye J. Alexander from the Japanese Hyoto no Kamen (Hayakawa Shobo 1979).
The Guin Saga, Book Three: The Battle of Nospherus Kaoru Kurimoto (Vertical 1-932234-53-5, Dec 2003, $22.95, 230pp, hc) [Guin Saga] Fantasy novel, third in a series of 100 (at least 89 have already appeared in Japan). The ape-men of Nospherus must unite to repel the Mongaul invaders. Translated by Alexander O. Smith & Elye J. Alexander from the Japanese Nosuferasu no Tatakai (Hayakawa Shobo 1980).
The Guin Saga, Book Two: Warrior in the Wilderness Kaoru Kurimoto (Vertical 1-932234-52-7, Sep 2003, $22.95, 231pp, hc) [Guin Saga] Fantasy novel, second in a series of 100 (at least 89 have already appeared in Japan). Leopard-headed Guin still seeks his true identity. Translated by Alexander O. Smith & Elye J. Alexander from the Japanese Koya no Senshi (Hayakawa Shobo 1979).
Images, Conceits & Lollygags Michael Kurland (Gryphon Books 1-58250-048-7, Mar 2003, $20.00, 176pp, tp, cover by Kelly Freas) Collection of 10 stories of fantasy, SF, and mystery. Introduction by Richard Lupoff. A signed, limited edition (-049-5, $40.00) is also available. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228; add $1.00 postage. [www.gryphonbooks.com].
- 4 · Introduction: Look in the Mirror · Richard A. Lupoff · in
- 8 · Foreword · fw
- 12 · Small World · nv Two Views of Wonder, ed. Thomas N. Scortia & Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Ballantine, 1973
- 29 · A Brief Dance to the Music of the Spheres · ss The Best of Omni Science Fiction, No. 6, ed. Don Myrus, Omni, 1983
- 39 · The Stolen Saint Simon · nv The Mammoth Book of Locked-Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes, ed. Mike Ashley, Robinson, 2000
- 62 · Please State My Business · ss Galaxy Aug 65
- 71 · In the Blood · ss Sisters of the Night, ed. Barbara Hambly & Martin H. Greenberg, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 92 · Spadework · ss Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine Sep 68
- 118 · A Matter of Taste · ss Men & Malice, ed. Dean W. Dickensheet, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1973
- 126 · Blind Justice [Quintilianus] · nv The Mammoth Book of Historical Whodunnits: Brand New Collection, ed. Mike Ashley, Robinson, 2001
- 148 · Think Only This of Me · nv Galaxy Nov 73
- 174 · Specula · ss Galimaufry, 1972
In the Kings Service Katherine Kurtz (Ace 0-441-01060-1, Nov 2003, $23.95, 359pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Deryni] Fantasy novel in the Deryni series, set during the reign of Donal Haldane.
The Adept Katherine Kurtz & Deborah Turner Harris (Ace 0-441-00343-5, Dec 2003, $6.99, 323pp, pb, cover by Tom Kidd) [Adam Sinclair] Reissue (Ace 1991) fantasy mystery novel, first in the series. Copyrighted by Kurtz and packager Bill Fawcett and Associates. 13th printing.
On Crusade: More Tales of the Knights Templar ed. Katherine Kurtz (Warner Aspect 0-446-61317-7, Jul 2003, $6.50, 294pp, pb, cover by Greg Call) Reprint (Warner Aspect 1998) original anthology of ten fantasy stories centering on the Knights Templar.