Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Early Romances William Morris (Wildside Press 1-59224-251-0, Dec 2003, $19.95, 163pp, tp) Reprint (Dent 1907 as The Early Romances of William Morris in Prose and Verse) collection of eight stories, with introduction by Alfred Noyes. This follows the Newcastle Publishing 1976 edition (as Golden Wings and Other Stories) by dropping the poetry, but also drops the 1976 afterword by Richard B. Matthews. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
The Roots of the Mountains William Morris (Wildside Press 0-8095-3081-3, Dec 2003, $19.95, 321pp, tp) Reprint (Reeves & Turner 1889) fantasy novel. The cover gives the title as The Roots of the Mountain. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
The Winter King Dean Morrissey & Stephen Krensky (HarperTrophy 0-06-442114-7, Jan 2003, $5.99, 64pp, tp, cover by Dean Morrissey) [Magic Door] Illustrated childrens chapter book, with story by Morrissey and Krensky, illustrations by Morrissey. The second book in The Magic Door series set in the land of Great Kettles, featuring characters from Morrisseys picture book series begun in Ship of Dreams.
Angel Café Jill Morrow (Pocket/Paraview 0-7434-7573-9, Jul 2003, $6.99, 375pp, pb, cover by David Stevenson) [Angel Cafe] Dark fantasy novel. A psychic reading compels a woman to investigate her boyfriends suicide and the world of fortune-telling.
The Novels of Kurt Vonnegut: Imagining Being an American Donald E. Morse (Greenwood Press/Praeger 0-313-31914-6, Aug 2003, $64.95, 203 + xxi, hc) Non-fiction, a critical look at Vonneguts novels in the context of American literature. Several parts had been published previously in different form. This includes a bibliography and index. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, PO Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com]. [Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.]
Craven Moon Billie Sue Mosiman (DAW 0-7564-0120-8, Jun 2003, $6.99, 320pp, pb, cover by Don Brautigam) [Vampire Nation] Vampire novel, third in the Vampire Nation series. Copyrighted by Mosiman and packager Tekno Books.
The Seduction of the Occult and the Rise of the Fantastic Tale Dorothea E. Von Mucke (Stanford University Press 0-8047-3860-2, Apr 2003, $24.95, 289 + x, hc) Non-fiction, a critical examination of the rise of the fantastic tale in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, looking at works by such authors as Jacques Cazotte, E.T.A. Hoffmann, and Edgar Allan Poe. Includes notes, bibliography, and index.
Space: 1999: The Forsaken John Kenneth Muir (Powys Media 0-9677280-2-9, Jan 2003, $15.00, 241pp, tp) [Space: 1999] Novelization based on the television series. Foreword by Prentis Hancock. Order from Powys Media, 2602 E. Florence Ave., PMB 977, Huntington Park CA 90255; [www.powysmedia.com].
Descant 122: Speculative Literature ed. Karen Mulhallen, Peter Darbyshire & Brian Panhuyzen (Descant Arts & Letters Foundations, Sep 2003, $19.95, 371pp, tp, cover by Leopold Plotek) Original anthology of 29 stories, one novel excerpt, six poems, three artist portfolios, and one article/interview by Robert Price on Robert J. Sawyer. Fiction authors include Bruce Holland Rogers, Jan Lars Jensen, and Sally McBride. This is the Fall 2003 issue, Volume 34, Number 3, of the quarterly literary magazine Descant, guest edited by Darbyshire and Panhuyzen, whose preface discusses the nature of speculative fiction. For contents see listing under magazines. Available from Descant, PO Box 314, Station P, Toronto, Ont., Canada M5S 2S8; [www.descant.on.ca].
Cat Seeing Double Shirley Rousseau Murphy (HarperCollins 0-06-620950-1, Jan 2003, $24.95, 292pp, hc, cover by Beppe Giacobbe) [Joe Grey] Fantasy mystery novel, the eighth featuring talking cat Joe Grey. The cats investigate the attempted bombing of a wedding.
Cat Seeing Double Shirley Rousseau Murphy (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-101561-X, Nov 2003, $6.99, 360pp, pb, cover by Beppe Giacobbe) [Joe Grey] Reprint (HarperCollins 2003) fantasy mystery novel, the eighth featuring talking cat Joe Grey.
Aldous Huxley Nicholas Murray (St. Martins 0-312-30237-1, Mar 2003, $29.95, 496pp, hc) Non-fiction, biography. This includes 16 unpaginated pages of photos, a chronology, and an index. First US edition (Little, Brown UK 2002). [Aldous Huxley]
Blood of Heaven Bill Myers (HarperCollins/Zondervan 0-310-25110-9, Jan 2003, $6.99, 376pp, pb) [Fire of Heaven] Reprint (Zondervan 1996) Christian-oriented thriller, first in the Fire of Heaven trilogy.
Fire of Heaven Bill Myers (HarperCollins/Zondervan 0-310-25113-3, Jan 2003, $6.99, 488pp, pb, cover by Jeremy Woodhouse) [Fire of Heaven] Reprint (Zondervan 1999, not seen) Christian-oriented thriller, third in the Fire of Heaven trilogy.
Threshold Bill Myers (HarperCollins/Zondervan 0-310-25111-7, Jan 2003, $6.99, 376pp, pb) [Fire of Heaven] Reprint (Zondervan 1997) Christian-oriented thriller, second in the Fire of Heaven trilogy.
The Wager Bill Myers (HarperCollins/Zondervan 0-310-24873-6, Oct 2003, $12.99, 168pp, tp) Christian fantasy novel/parable. God and Satan have a contest to see if a mortal man a successful actor can live for ten days according to the standards of the Sermon on the Mount. This includes Bible study questions by the author.
The Creatures of Man Howard L. Myers (Baen 0-7434-3607-5, May 2003, $14.00, 437pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) SF collection of 19 stories, including eight of The Econo-War (here considered part of The Chalice Cycle). Several stories were originally published as by Verge Foray. Edited by Eric Flint and Guy Gordon.
- 1 · Editors Preface · Eric Flint & Guy Gordon · pr
- 3 · Partner [Duplex, as by Verge Foray] · nv Analog Jun 68
- 34 · The Creatures of Man [as by Verge Foray] · ss If May 68
- 50 · All Around the Universe · nv F&SF Jan 72
- 73 · Health Hazard · ss Analog Jan 73
- 92 · Practice! [as by Verge Foray] · nv Analog Mar 68
- 116 · Lost Calling [as by Verge Foray] · ss Analog Sep 67
- 135 · The Other Way Around · nv Infinity #2, ed. Robert Hoskins, Lancer, 1971
- 153 · The Reluctant Weapon · ss Galaxy Dec 52
- 170 · Out, Wit! · ss Analog Jun 72
- 184 · Fit for a Dog · ss F&SF Sep 71
- 197 · Psychivore · nv Fantastic Jun 70
- 231 · The Chalice Cycle:
- 233 · Prologue: The Earth of Nenkunal · na Fantastic Jan 74
- · The Econo-War:
- 281 · Forever Enemy [Econo-War] · ss Analog Dec 70
- 300 · Heavy Thinker [Econo-War] · ss Analog Aug 70
- 315 · War in Our Time [Econo-War] · ss Analog Mar 72
- 334 · Misinformation [Econo-War] · ss Analog Apr 72
- 355 · Little Game [as by Verge Foray; Econo-War] · nv Galaxy Jun 74
- 379 · The Frontliners [as by Verge Foray; Econo-War] · nv Galaxy Jul 74
- 424 · Epilogue: Questor [Econo-War] · ss Amazing Jan 70
Memory Linda Nagata (Tor 0-312-87721-8, Apr 2003, $26.95, 416pp, hc, cover by David Bowers) SF novel set on a constructed world whose inhabitants have forgotten their origins.
Memory Linda Nagata (SFBC #57011, Apr 2003, $13.50, 416pp, hc, cover by David Bowers) Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Breath Donna Jo Napoli (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum 0-689-86174-5, Nov 2003, $16.95, 260pp, hc, cover by Pieter Breugel) Young-adult historical novel with fantasy elements based on the story of the Pied Piper.
The Great God Pan Donna Jo Napoli (Random House/Wendy Lamb Books 0-385-32777-3, May 2003, $15.95, 149pp, hc, cover by Michael Morgenstern) Young-adult fantasy novel retelling the Greek myth of Pan and Iphigenia and the start of the Trojan War.
Riverwatch Joseph Nassise (Pocket 0-7434-7096-6, Oct 2003, $6.99, 355pp, pb, cover by Anna Dorfman) Reprint (Barclay Books 2001) horror novel. An ancient evil is released from beneath a New England town.
AfterAge Yvonne Navarro (Overlook Connection Press 1-892950-58-8, Nov 2002, $39.95, 350pp, hc) Reprint (Bantam 1993) vampire novel. This includes the story from which the novel was expanded, and a prologue to a sequel in progress. Introduction by Brian Hodge, afterword by the author. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a Sterling edition of 100 (-60-X, $84.95) and a boxed, lettered edition of 26 ($350.00) are also available. Order from The Overlook Connection Press, PO Box 1934, Hiram GA 30188; [email@example.com]; [www.overlookconnection.com].
The Unnatural Alan Nayes (Tor/Forge 0-765-30613-1, Oct 2003, $27.95, 448pp, hc) SF thriller of bioengineering. A bizarre hybrid creature stalks the sewers.
Lords of Rainbow Vera Nazarian (Wildside Press/Betancourt & Company 1-59224-823-3, May 2003, $34.95, 389pp, hc) Fantasy novel set in a world without colors. Subtitled The Book of Fulfillment. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
The Baby Squad Andrew Neiderman (Pocket Star 0-7434-1270-2, Aug 2003, $6.99, 374pp, pb) Near-future SF thriller. The Baby Squad tracks down women who try to have children by natural pregnancy.
Heroes & Monsters: The Unofficial Companion to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" Jess Nevins (MonkeyBrain Books 1-932265-04-X, Aug 2003, $18.95, 239pp, tp, cover by John Picacio) Associational non-fiction, a guide to the graphic novel/comic book miniseries, mainly a panel-by-panel annotation of the various Victorian references, but also including a discussion of the literary origins of the various characters, their archetypal qualities, and the history of crossovers in literature. There is an interview with Alan Moore, who also provides the introduction. Order from MonkeyBrain, PO Box 200126-Austin TZ 78720; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.monkeybrainbooks.com].
The Fifth Sorceress Robert Newcomb (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44893-6, Jun 2003, $7.99, 668pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Chronicles of Blood and Stone] Reprint (Del Rey 2002) fantasy novel.
The Gates of Dawn Robert Newcomb (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44894-4, Jul 2003, $26.95, 467pp, hc, cover by Justin Sweet) [Chronicles of Blood and Stone] Fantasy novel, second in The Chronicles of Blood and Stone after The Fifth Sorceress. Prince Tristans efforts to reclaim and restore his kingdom are blocked by a new foe.
The Gates of Dawn Robert Newcomb (SFBC #58173, Jul 2003, $13.50, 463pp, hc, cover by Justin Sweet) [Chronicles of Blood and Stone] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) fantasy novel, sequel to The Fifth Sorceress. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Harvest Scott Nicholson (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1579-9, Sep 2003, $5.99, 383pp, pb) Horror novel set in the Appalachians. A psychologists visions tell her something unnatural is happening.
Firesong William Nicholson (Hyperion 0-7868-1801-8, Sep 2003, $11.99, 422pp, tp, cover by Peter Sis) [Wind on Fire] Reprint (Egmont 2002) young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Wind on Fire trilogy. Illustrated by Peter Sis. This has a separately paginated 13-page reading group guide.
Slaves of the Mastery William Nicholson (Hyperion 0-7868-1800-X, Sep 2003, $11.99, 434pp, tp, cover by Peter Sis) [Wind on Fire] Reprint (Mammoth 2001) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Wind on Fire trilogy. This has a 15-page reading group guide.
The Wind Singer William Nicholson (Hyperion 0-7868-1799-2, Sep 2003, $11.99, 358pp, tp, cover by Peter Sis) [Wind on Fire] Reprint (Egmont 2000) young-adult fantasy novel, first in the Wind on Fire trilogy. This has a 16-page reading group guide.
Make Mine a Mystery: A Readers Guide to Mystery and Detective Fiction Gary Warren Niebuhr (Greenwood/Libraries Unlimited 1-56308-784-7, 2003, $65.00, 605 + xv, hc) Associational non-fiction, reference, a guide to mysteries aimed at librarians. This has listings for over 2,500 titles by over 200 authors, covering the late 1800s to 2002. Includes discussions of sub-genres, the history of mysteries, and major series. There are indexes by author, title, subject, and setting location. Order from Greenwood Publishing Group, 88 Post Road West, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.lu.com].
New Skies ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden (Tor Teen 0-765-30016-8, Sep 2003, $19.95, 288pp, hc) Anthology of 17 stories. Authors include Terry Bisson, Geoffrey A. Landis, Connie Willis, and Orson Scott Card.
- 11 · Introduction · Patrick Nielsen Hayden · in
- 15 · Theyre Made Out of Meat · Terry Bisson · vi Omni Apr 91
- 19 · A Walk in the Sun · Geoffrey A. Landis · ss IASFM Oct 91
- 43 · Peaches for Mad Molly · Steven Gould · nv Analog Feb 88
- 75 · Serpents Teeth · Spider Robinson · ss Omni Mar 81
- 93 · Uncle Joshua and the Grooglemen · Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Monsters, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1993
- 107 · A Letter from the Clearys · Connie Willis · ss IASFM Jul 82
- 125 · Brian and the Aliens · Will Shetterly · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Aliens, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1994
- 141 · Different Kinds of Darkness [Blit] · David Langford · ss F&SF Jan, 2000
- 157 · Will You Be an Astronaut? · Greg van Eekhout · ss F&SF Sep, 2002
- 169 · Cards of Grief · Jane Yolen · ss Tales of Wonder, Schocken, 1983
- 185 · Tangents · Greg Bear · ss Omni Jan 86
- 209 · The Alien Mind · Philip K. Dick · ss The Yuba City High Times Feb 20 81
- 213 · Out of All Them Bright Stars · Nancy Kress · ss F&SF Mar 85
- 223 · The Lincoln Train · Maureen F. McHugh · ss F&SF Apr 95
- 243 · Arthur Sternbach Brings the Curveball to Mars · Kim Stanley Robinson · ss The Martians, Voyager, 1999
- 257 · Salvage [Deaver Teague] · Orson Scott Card · nv IASFM Feb 86
- 285 · The Great Goodbye · Robert Charles Wilson · vi Nature Sep 21, 2000
The Time Travelers Wife Audrey Niffenegger (Macadam/Cage 1-931561-64-8, Sep 2003, $25.00, 512pp, hc, cover by Tim Heatherington) Fantasy novel. Henry and Claires love story is complicated by Henrys unwilling jumps in time. This first novel was not seen previously, but already indicates fourth printing, and the front jacket notes this is a Todays Book Club selection.
DragonLance: Winterheim Douglas Niles (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2911-1, Jan 2003, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Gerald Brom) [DragonLance: Icewall] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, third volume in the Icewall trilogy. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
The Goddess Worldweaver Douglas Niles (Ace 0-441-01012-1, Mar 2003, $14.95, 356pp, tp, cover by Jean Pierre Targete) [Seven Circles] Fantasy novel, book three of the Seven Circles trilogy.
Fox at the Front Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson (Tor/Forge 0-765-30479-1, Nov 2003, $27.95, 558pp, hc) [Fox on the Rhine] Alternate military history of WWII, sequel to Fox on the Rhine.
Fox on the Rhine Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson (Tor/Forge 0-812-57466-4, Oct 2003, $7.99, 547pp, pb, cover by Bill Villareal) [Fox on the Rhine] Reissue (Forge 2000) alternate military history of WWII. Third printing.
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister Jenny Nimmo (Scholastic/Orchard 0-439-49687-X, Sep 2003, $9.95, 402pp, hc, cover by Chris Sheban) [Children of the Red King] Young-adult fantasy novel, the second in The Children of the Red King quintet. A time-traveling relative of Charlies from the past causes an uproar at Bloors Academy. First US edition (Egmont 4/03 as The Time Twister).
Midnight for Charlie Bone Jenny Nimmo (Scholastic/Orchard 0-439-47429-9, Mar 2003, $9.95, 401pp, hc, cover by Chris Sheban) [Children of the Red King] Young-adult fantasy novel, the first in The Children of the Red King quintet. Charlie can hear the thoughts of people in photographs, and must attend a special academy for children with special powers. First US edition (Egmont 4/02).
The Integral Trees Larry Niven (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46036-7, Aug 2003, $15.95, 459pp, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) [Sharls Davis Kendy] Omnibus of two SF novels: The Integral Trees (1984) and The Smoke Ring (1987).
- · The Integral Trees · n. New York: Del Rey, 1984
- 203 · The Smoke Ring · n. New York: Del Rey, 1987
Playgrounds of the Mind Larry Niven (Tor 0-812-51695-8, Aug 2003, $7.99, 696pp, pb, cover by David Archer) Reissue (Tor 1991) collection of fiction and non-fiction. Third printing.
Scatterbrain Larry Niven (Tor 0-765-30137-7, Aug 2003, $24.95, 317pp, hc) Collection of recent works by Niven (some collaborations), with five stories, four novel excerpts, and 16 non-fiction pieces, several apparently original, others previously published online. Nivens introduction discusses where he gets his ideas; he discusses the collaborative process involved in some of the works, even to including correspondence.
- 11 · Introduction: Where Do I Get My Crazy Ideas? · in
- 21 · Destinys Road · ex New York: Tor, 1997
- 30 · The Ringworld Throne [Ringworld] · ex New York: Del Rey, 1996
- 42 · The Woman in Del Rey Crater [Gil Hamilton] · nv Flatlander, Del Rey, 1995
- 79 · Loki · ss Analog Jan, 2000
- 87 · Procrustes [Beowulf Shaeffer] · na Bridging the Galaxies, San Francisco Science Fiction Conventions, 1993
- 133 · Mars: Who Needs It? · ar Space.com (online)
- 137 · How to Save Civilization and Save a Little Money · ar Space.com (online)
- 141 · The Burning City [Mana; Burning City] · Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle · ex New York: Pocket Books, 2000
- 151 · Saturns Race · Larry Niven & Steven Barnes · ex New York: Tor, 2000
- 177 · Ice and Mirrors [Eric Keenan; Kimber Walker] · Larry Niven & Brenda Cooper · nv Asimovs Feb, 2001
- 216 · Discussion with Brenda Cooper Re: Ice and Mirrors · Larry Niven & Brenda Cooper · ms
- 243 · Smut Talk [Draco Tavern] · ss Playboy Jan, 2000
- 254 · Telepresence · Larry Niven & Marvin L. Minsky · ar
- 257 · Learning to Love the Space Station · ar
- 261 · Autograph Etiquette · ar
- 284 · Tabletop Fusion · ar Bridging the Galaxies, San Francisco Science Fiction Conventions, 1993
- 270 · Collaboration · ar The SFWA Handbook, ed. Mildred Downey Broxon, SFWA, 1976
- 276 · Intercon Trip Report: August 12, 1991 · ar Bridging the Galaxies, San Francisco Science Fiction Conventions, 1993
- 282 · Handicap · ar
- 286 · Did the Moon Move for You Too? · ar
- 287 · Hugo Award Anecdotes · ar
- 289 · Introduction to Pete Hamilton Story Watching Trees Grow · in PS Publishing, 2000
- 293 · Introductory Material for Man-Kzin Wars II · in Man-Kzin Wars II, ed. Larry Niven, Baen, 1989
- 297 · Canon for the Man-Kzin Wars · ms
- 302 · Epilogue: What I Tell Librarians · aw
The Barsoom Project Larry Niven & Steven Barnes (Ace 0-441-16712-8, May 2003, $6.99, 340pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Dream Park] Reissue (Ace 1989) SF novel, sequel to Dream Park. Seventh printing.
Dream Park Larry Niven & Steven Barnes (Ace 0-441-16730-6, Apr 2003, $6.99, 434pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Dream Park] Reissue (Phantasia 1981) SF novel.
Fallen Angels Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Michael Flynn (Baen 0-7434-7181-4, Jan 2004, $6.99, 451pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) Reissue (Baen 1991) SF novel. Third printing.
Man-Kzin Wars IX ed. Larry Niven (Baen 0-7434-7145-8, Jul 2003, $7.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Man-Kzin Wars] Reprint (Baen 2002) original anthology of four stories set in Larry Nivens Known Space universe.
The Abhorsen Trilogy Garth Nix (SFBC #59396, Mar 2003, $14.99, 777pp, hc, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Abhorsen] Omnibus of three young-adult fantasy novels: Sabriel (1995), Lirael (2001), and Abhorsen (2003). This has ISBN 0-7394-3217-6; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Sabriel · n. Moonstone, 1995
- 217 · Lirael · n. Allen & Unwin Australia, 2001
- 541 · Abhorsen · n. HarperCollins/Eos, 2003
The Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1: Mister Monday Garth Nix (Scholastic 0-439-55123-4, Jul 2003, $5.99, 361pp, tp, cover by John Blackford) [Keys to the Kingdom] Young-adult fantasy novel, first in a new seven-part series. Arthur Penhaligon must enter a strange realm to stop Mister Mondays evil schemes.