Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Lullaby Chuck Palahniuk (Random House/Anchor 0-385-72219-2, Sep 2003, $13.95, 260pp, tp) Reprint (Doubleday 2002) blackly comic supernatural thriller about a lethal lullaby.
Philip K. Dick: Exhilaration and Terror of the Postmodern Christopher Palmer (ISBS/Liverpool University Press 0-85323-628-3, Jul 2003, $29.95, 259 + xii, tp) Non-fiction, a critical study of Dicks work from historical and literary perspectives. There are notes, bibliography, and index. A hardcover edition (-618-6, $62.95) was announced but not seen. This is the Liverpool University Press edition, available in the US from International Specialized Book Services, 920 NE 58th Ave., Suite 300, Portland OR 97213-3786; [www.isbs.com]; 503-287-3093. [Philip K. Dick]
Dirty McNasty Joseph Palmer (Wizard Mountain Media 1-410-72438-7, Aug 2003, $8.95, 351pp, pb, cover by A. J. Dickerman) [Dirty McNasty Chronicles] SF thriller, the first in The Dirty McNasty Chronicles. A street kid with a split personality seeks vengeance in dark New Rogue City. Order from Wizard Mountain Media, PO Box 2561, Framingham MA 01703; [Wizardmountainmedia@comcast.net].
Dragon Stones Joseph Palmer (Wizard Mountain Media 1-410-74543-0, Aug 2003, $8.95, 272pp, pb, cover by A. J. Dickerman) [Dragon Stones] Fantasy novel, the first in the Saga of the Dragon Stones. Young Turin must learn to master the power of the Dragon Stone to save his homeland. Order from Wizard Mountain Media, PO Box 2561, Framingham MA 01703; [Wizardmountainmedia@comcast.net].
The Island Court: The Bottle of Saint Tucke Joseph Palmer (Wizard Mountain Media 1-410-74561-9, Aug 2003, $8.95, 320pp, pb, cover by A. J. Dickerman) [First King] Fantasy novel, the first in The First King trilogy. Order from Wizard Mountain Media, PO Box 2561, Framingham MA 01703; [Wizardmountainmedia@comcast.net].
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Prophecy and Change ed. Marco Palmieri (Pocket 0-7434-7073-7, Sep 2003, $14.00, 434pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Original anthology of ten stories, plus two anonymous framing segments. Introduction by Terry J. Erdmann & Paula M. Block. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Chaos Theory, Asimovs Foundations and Robots, and Herberts Dune: the Fractal Aesthetic of Epic Science Fiction Donald E. Palumbo (Greenwood Press 0-313-31189-7, Dec 2002, $67.95, 240pp, hc) Non-fiction, critical, an examination of the fractal narrative structures in Asimovs and Herberts works. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. Greenwood Publishing Group, 88 Post Road West, PO Box 5007, Westport CT 06881-5800; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com]. [Isaac Asimov; Frank Herbert]
Eragon Christopher Paolini (Random House/Knopf 0-375-82668-8, Sep 2003, $18.95, 509pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Inheritance] Reprint (Paolini International 2002) fantasy novel, first in the Eragon Inheritance trilogy.
Three Marys Paul Park (Wildside Press/Cosmos Books 1-58715-520-6, Dec 2003, $15.00, 178pp, tp, cover by George de la Tour) Associational historical novel of the life of Christ as witnessed by the women who knew him best. A hardcover edition (-519-2, $29.95) is also available. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.cosmos-books.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
Withers Rain John Passarella (Pocket Star 0-671-02482-5, Feb 2003, $6.99, 428pp, pb) [George Witherspoon] Horror novel, sequel to Wither by J.G. Passarella. The evil Wither seeks revenge.
Biotechnological and Medical Themes in Science Fiction ed. Domna Pastourmatzi (University Studio Press 960-12-1133-0, 2002, no price, 512pp, tp) Non-fiction, a gathering of 31 critical essays (two in Greek) on SF and biotechnology, originally read as part of the eponymous conference held October 2001 in Thessaloniki, Greece. Authors include Candas Jane Dorsey, Joan L. Slonczewski, Darko Suvin, and Janeen Webb. There is a general index. This is a non-profit publication, available free to academics; send request on official university stationery to Domna Pastourmatzi, School of English, Aristotle University, Thessaloniki 54124, Greece; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Moontide Erin Patrick (Wildside Press 1-58715-359-9, 2001, $37.95, 259pp, hc) Dark fantasy novel. A desperate woman takes a galley job on a strange sailing ship. A first novel. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. A print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
Best in Show: Fifteen Years of Outstanding Furry Fiction ed. Fred Patten (Sofawolf Press 0-9712670-1-4, Jul 2003, $19.95, 455pp, tp, cover by Ursula Vernon) Anthology of 26 anthropomorphic stories. Authors include Lawrence Watt-Evans, Jefferson P. Swycaffer, and Mel. White. Afterword and bibliography by Fred Patten. Forewords by Tim Susman, Gene Breshears, and Phil Geusz. Available from Sofawolf Press, PO Box 8133, Saint Paul MN 55108-0133; [www.sofawolf.com].
- 4 · Introduction · Fred Patten · in
- 11 · A Note from the Publisher · J. L. Eddy · pr
- · Section One: Living Among Us: Furries and Humans
- 12 · Foreword · Tim Susman · fw
- 15 · To the Magic Born · Brian W. Antoine · ss PawPrints Fanzine Sum 95; illus. Conrad Wong
- 30 · Foxy Lady · Lawrence Watt-Evans · ss Zoomorphica Sum 92
- 41 · The Color of Rain · Gene Breshears · ss North American Fur Sep, 2000
- 57 · Crucible · Kim Liu · ss Anthrolations Jul, 2000; illus. Dave Bryant
- 70 · How George Miles Almost Saved the World · Watts Martin · ss Yarf! Jul 91
- 81 · Canis Major · Michael H. Payne · ss Anthrolations Jul, 2001; illus. Kylen Christine Miles
- 95 · A Snapshot from Fayetteville · Mick Collins · ss FURthest North Crew Jan 93
- 109 · Wings · Todd G. Sutherland · ss FURthest North Crew Mar 97
- 129 · Respect the Sea · Jeff Eddy · ss HistoriMorphs Jul, 2001; illus. Jennie Hoffer
- 138 · The Boar Goes North · Matt Posner · ss Mythagoras Aut 90
- · Section Two: Living Apart: Furry Alternate Worlds
- 152 · Foreword · Gene Breshears · fw
- 155 · Port in a Storm · Robert K. Carspecken · ss Rowrbrazzle Jul 89; illus. Margaret Carspecken
- 176 · Rosettes and Ribbons · M. C. A. Hogarth · nv Yarf! Jan, 2000
- 207 · Painted Memories · Conrad Wong · ss PawPrints Fanzine Win 94; illus. Conrad Wong
- 222 · Recruiting · Elizabeth McCoy · ss Fantastic Furry Stories Oct, 2001
- 235 · Rats Reputation · Michael H. Payne · ss FurVersion May 89
- 246 · Whimpers Law [Xanadu] · Craig Hilton · ss The Ever-Changing Palace Jul 91
- 260 · Beneath the Crystal Sea · Brock Hoagland · nv Tales of Perissa, United Publications, 2001; illus. Vicky M. Wyman
- 284 · Secret Weapon · Allen Kitchen · ss Morphic Tales Jan, 2000
- 292 · Mercy to the Cubs: A Tale of the Furkindred [Furkindred] · Chas. P. A. Melville · nv Yarf! Jul 95
- 317 · Messenger · Mel. White · ss PawPrints Fanzine Spr 98; illus. Jonathan Kaufman
- 324 · Castlefail · Jefferson P. Swycaffer · ss FurryPhile Jun 96
- 339 · Repas du Vivant [Tai-Pan Universe] · Axel Shaikman · ss Rowrbrazzle Oct 93; illus. Conrad Wong
- · Section Three: Living Within: Transformation
- 350 · Foreword · Phil Geusz · fw
- 352 · Graduation Day · Phil Geusz · nv Ravens Lair website Aug 16 99
- 387 · Top of the Mountain · Ben Goodridge · nv Fang, Claw, & Steel Win 99
- 409 · Find the Beautiful · Tim Susman · ss Mythagoras Sum 97; illus. John Nunnemacher
- 423 · Little Monster · Tom Turrittin · ss Fang, Claw, & Steel Sum 99
- 437 · Afterword and Bibliography · Fred Patten · aw
- 447 · Contributor Bios · Misc. · bg
The Lake House James Patterson (Little, Brown 0-316-60328-7, Jun 2003, $27.95, 376pp, hc, cover by Min Roman) [When the Wind Blows] SF thriller, sequel to When the Wind Blows. The genetically engineered winged teens come together to face their old enemy.
East Edith Pattou (Harcourt 0-15-204563-5, Sep 2003, $18.00, 498pp, hc, cover by Stephen T. Johnson) Young-adult fairy-tale fantasy novel, a retelling of East of the Sun and West of the Moon.
The Children of Cthulhu: Chilling New Tales Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft ed. John Pelan & Benjamin Adams (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44108-7, May 2003, $14.95, 469pp, tp, cover by Dave McKean) Reprint (Del Rey 2002) original Lovecraftian anthology of 21 stories, one a reprint.
A Werewolf Problem in Central Russia and Other Stories Victor Pelevin (New Directions 0-8112-1543-1, May 2003, $12.95, 213pp, tp) Reprint (Harbord UK 1998) collection of eight satiric fables and strange stories. Translated by Andrew Bromfield from the Russian (1994).
Bride of the Stone Josephine Pennicott (Simon & Schuster/Earthlight Australia 0-7318-1108-9, Mar 2003, A$18.95, 449pp, pb, cover by Nick Stathopoulos) [Circle of Nine] Fantasy novel, second in the Circle of Nine trilogy. The dark energy of the Eom crystal threatens the world of Eronth, while Emmas daughter Maya grows up unaware of her destiny.
Gothic Perspectives in the American Experience Gregory G. Pepetone (Lang, Peter 0-8204-5763-9, Jun 2003, $29.95, 197pp, tp) Non-fiction, critical, an examination of Gothic influences in American popular culture and politics as seen in film and literature, including works by Charles Brockden Brown, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Edgar Allan Poe. There is a bibliography and an index. Order from Peter Lang Publishing, 275 Seventh Ave., 28th Floor, New York NY 10001; [www.peterlangusa.com].
Come Armageddon Anne Perry (Ace 0-441-01089-X, Sep 2003, $24.95, 502pp, hc, cover by Dan Craig) [Tathea] Fantasy novel, sequel to Tathea. Tathea returns after centuries of exile to fight for the forces of the Light. First US edition (Headline 2001).
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Unity S. D. Perry (Pocket 0-7434-4840-5, Nov 2003, $23.95, 303pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The 97th Step Steve Perry (Ace 0-441-58105-6, Aug 2003, $6.50, 294pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Khadaji] Reissue (Ace 1989) SF novel. Fourth printing.
The Albino Knife Steve Perry (Ace 0-441-01391-0, Sep 2003, $6.50, 294pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Khadaji] Reissue (Ace 1991) SF novel. Third printing.
Black Steel Steve Perry (Ace 0-441-06698-4, Oct 2003, $6.50, 245pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Khadaji] Reissue (Ace 1992) SF novel. Fourth printing.
Brother Death Steve Perry (Ace 0-441-54476-2, Nov 2003, $6.50, 243pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Khadaji] Reissue (Ace 1992) SF novel, eighth in the Matador series. Third printing.
The Machiavelli Interface Steve Perry (Ace 0-441-51356-5, Jan 2003, $5.99, 197pp, pb, cover by Richard Berry) [Khadaji] Reissue (Ace 1986) SF novel in the Matador series. Fifth printing.
Windowpane Steve Perry (Gale Group/Five Star 0-7862-5050-X, Apr 2003, $25.95, 438pp, hc, cover by Ursula Vernon) Fantasy novel. A street performers music is magical. Packaged by Tekno Books. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Tolkien in the Land of Heroes Anne C. Petty (Cold Spring Press 1-892975-99-8, Aug 2003, $16.95, 322pp, tp, cover by Christiaan Iken) Non-fiction, a critical examination of major themes in The Lord of the Rings, such as power, loss, and heroism. A bibliography and index are included. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
Fantastic Odysseys: Selected Essays from the Twenty-Second International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts ed. Mary Pharr (Greenwood Press/Praeger 0-313-32324-0, Apr 2003, $64.95, 167 + xviii, hc) Non-fiction, a gathering of 18 papers from the 2001 International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts. Includes index and bibliography. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com].
A Choir of Ill Children Tom Piccirilli (Night Shade Books 1-892389-58-4, Mar 2003, $25.00, 238pp, hc, cover by Caniglia) [Choir of Ill Children] Southern gothic horror novel of a small town threatened by strange forces. Night Shade Books, 3623 SW Baird St., Portland OR 97219; 503-452-0761; [email@example.com]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
Mean Sheep Tom Piccirilli (Delirium Books 1-929653-47-6, Jan 2003, $50.00, 225pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Collection of 16 stories, four original, and 15 original poems. This is a signed, limited edition of 400. Order from Delirium Books, PO Box 338, North Webster IN 46555; [www.deliriumbooks.com]; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- · I. Stories
- · The Misfit Child Grows Fat on Despair · ss The Darker Side: Generations of Horror, ed. John Pelan, Roc, 2002
- · The Whole Head Is Sick, the Whole Heart Faint · ss, 2000
- · This, and Thats the End of It · ss, 2002
- · New York Comes to the Desert · ss *
- · Sentry · ss *
- 49 · At One Stride Comes the Dark · ss Crimewave #3, 2000
- · Her Child Arises · ss *
- 35 · Come Back to Tell You All · ss Fantastic Stories of the Imagination #22, 2001
- · Uneasy Lies the Head that Wears the Crowd · ss, 2002
- · Whisper, When You Drown · ss, 2002
- · Souls, Written on the Flea · ss *
- 32 · Twilight in the Room of Fathers · vi Pirate Writings #9 96
- · Horsepower · ss Best Fetish Erotica, ed. Cara Bruce, Cleis, 2002
- · A Square Wedge of Vanilla · ss, 2001
- · Tracking the Death Angel · nv, 1999
- 97 · Those Vanished I Recognize · ss The Museum of Horrors, ed. Dennis Etchison, Leisure, 2001
- · II. Poems
- · Mean Sheep · pm *
- · What You Leave Behind on the Side of Your Plate · pm *
- · In the Outrunning · pm *
- · A Lightning Sting on the Far Side of the Skull · pm *
- · How to Perform Heart Surgery with Someone Elses Gaze · pm *
- · When the First Lemming Drops · pm *
- · The Curve After Which the Engine Squeals · pm *
- · My Conscience Shattered by a Jittery Scrawl · pm *
- · Rye · pm *
- · Staring Into a Bitter Face Ive Seen Before · pm *
- · The Living Room · pm *
- · Sylvia · pm *
- · Tragedy As You Like It · pm *
- · 45 Seconds on Third Avenue and 8th Street · pm *
- · Another Mans October · pm *
This Cape Is Red Because Ive Been Bleeding Tom Piccirilli (Catalyst Press 1-930997-21-3, Oct 2002, $14.00, 100pp, tp, cover by Caniglia) Original poetry collection of 60 poems. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.catalystpress.net], or from Catalyst Press, PO Box 755, New York NY 10009.
- · part I
- 11 · Jones Beach, Thirty Years After the Last Sand Castle · pm *
- 13 · When Those Who Know the Answer Let Slip a Few Hints · pm *
- 14 · For All of You Who Think I Dont Know What Youre Going Through · pm *
- 16 · My Sister · pm *
- 17 · Twined Backwards Upon the History of My Heart · pm *
- 18 · At the Center of a Circle of Vultures · pm *
- 20 · The Guy Who Just Lives There · pm Chiaroscuro (online) #12, 2002
- 22 · The Abdication of Our Daily Fears · pm *
- 23 · Adjusting the Atonement · pm *
- 24 · In Less Time Than It Takes to Learn an Unknowable Language · pm *
- 25 · The Toll of Your Personal Evil Troll · pm *
- 27 · This Cape Is Red Because Ive Been Bleeding · pm *
- 28 · Fat Boy Invades Hostile Territory Just This Side of Purgatory · pm *
- 29 · Nunzio, Sixty Years Dead, Lying at My Side, Staring · pm *
- 31 · Saving Your Life and Mine Without Breaking a Sweat · pm *
- 32 · Dinner at Dawn · pm *
- 33 · The Long Journey Leading Us Deeper Behind Everyday Eyes · pm *
- 35 · A Symbolic Interpretation of the Worst Day of My Life · pm *
- 36 · Kurosawa Comes Through in a Clutch · pm *
- 37 · Patience · pm
- · part II
- 41 · Murder · pm *
- 42 · When You and I Finally Have the Talk We Need to Have · pm *
- 43 · Waiting for the Bus of Desolation · pm *
- 44 · Concern · pm *
- 45 · Friendship, As the Wildfires Rage · pm *
- 46 · The Terror of Pint-sezed Lives · pm *
- 47 · Debt · pm *
- 49 · Choke and Throttle · pm *
- 51 · Coveting · pm *
- 52 · The Leech, Overindulging · pm *
- 53 · The Final Undenied Dream · pm *
- 54 · Your New Tendency · pm *
- 55 · With an Ease and Grace Lost to Me · pm *
- 56 · Accusations Upon Reading a Lettoe Once Clutched in a Cold Hand · pm *
- 57 · How to Make It Through a Friday Night Without Biting Your Tongue in Two · pm *
- 59 · The Grand Guignol of Common Grief · pm *
- 61 · My First Groupie and How Much I Love Her Despite the Failed Assassination Attempt · pm *
- 64 · Cremation Reformation · pm *
- 65 · Resentment · pm *
- 67 · The Christening That Should Have Been · pm *
- · part III
- 71 · Why I Cant Stand Behind Some People, and Why You Ought to Be Scared About It · pm *
- 73 · One for the Worm · pm *
- 74 · I Dont Want Him on My Mantle Either · pm *
- 75 · It Knows So Much More Than Me · pm *
- 77 · Forgetfulness · pm *
- 78 · Deadfall Haven · pm *
- 79 · Kith · pm *
- 80 · When You Look Down to Find Yourself Going but Not Yet Gone · pm *
- 82 · On Being Asked the Meaning of the Last Line · pm *
- 83 · Darkness Gnawing at the Cracks · pm *
- 84 · I Thought of Ships, Sailing Beyond the Reef of God · pm *
- 86 · Assistance · pm *
- 87 · The Redemption She Offers in Her Lips · pm *
- 88 · Misdirection · pm *
- 90 · In the Way of My Brooding · pm *
- 91 · The Ordeal of Belief · pm *
- 93 · When Lunatics Deny the Moon · pm *
- 95 · As Art Unfolds and Foretells · pm *
- 97 · Showdown · pm *
- 99 · The Last One · pm *
Second Glance Jodi Picoult (Simon & Schuster/Atria 0-7434-5450-2, Apr 2003, $25.00, 425pp, hc) Horror novel. A suicidal ghost hunter falls for a woman 80 years dead, and investigates her death.
Birth of the Firebringer Meredith Ann Pierce (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250053-4, Jun 2003, $6.99, 202pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Firebringer] Reprint (Macmillan 1985) young-adult fantasy novel, book one in the Firebringer trilogy about a unicorn prince.
Dark Moon Meredith Ann Pierce (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250057-7, Jun 2003, $6.99, 238pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Firebringer] Reprint (Joy Street 1992) young-adult fantasy novel, book two in the Firebringer trilogy.
The Firebringer Trilogy Meredith Ann Pierce (SFBC #57992, Jul 2003, $14.99, 549pp, hc, cover by Linda Champanier) [Firebringer] Omnibus of three young-adult fantasy novels in the trilogy: Birth of the Firebringer (1985), Dark Moon (1992), and The Son of Summer Stars (1996). This has ISBN 0-7394-3570-1; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Birth of the Firebringer · n. Four Winds Press, 1985
- 145 · Dark Moon · n. Joy Street, 1992
- 343 · Son of Summer Stars · n. Boston: Little Brown, 1996
The Son of Summer Stars Meredith Ann Pierce (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250074-7, Jul 2003, $6.99, 250pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Firebringer] Reprint (Little, Brown 1996) young-adult fantasy novel, book three in the Firebringer trilogy.
Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood Meredith Ann Pierce (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250013-5, Apr 2003, $6.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Rafal Oblinski) Reprint (Viking 2001) young-adult fantasy novel.
Circle of Magic, Books One and Two: Water & Fire Tamora Pierce (Scholastic 0-7607-4250-2, May 2003, $9.95, 532pp, hc, cover by Theron) [Circle of Magic] Omnibus of the first two novels in the YA fantasy quartet: Sandrys Book (1997) and Triss Book (1998), plus an added story. The parts are paginated separately. This is a special edition for Barnes & Noble.
- · Sandrys Book · n. Scholastic, 1997
- · Triss Book · n. Scholastic, 1998
Circle of Magic, Books Three and Four: Air & Earth Tamora Pierce (Scholastic 0-7607-4251-0, May 2003, $9.95, 492pp, hc, cover by Theron) [Circle of Magic] Omnibus of the last two novels in the YA fantasy quartet: Dajas Book (1998) and Briars Book (1999). This is a special Barnes & Noble edition.
- · Dajas Book · n. Scholastic, 1998
- · Briars Book · n. Scholastic, 1999