Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Wondrous Beginnings ed. Steven H. Silver & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-7564-0098-8, Jan 2003, $6.99, 316pp, pb) Anthology of 17 SF stories, all their authors first SF sale, with introductions to each by the author. Authors include Arthur C. Clarke, Anne McCaffrey, and Gene Wolfe. Introduction by Silver.
The Longest Way Home Robert Silverberg (SFBC #51995, Aug 2002, $12.99, 294pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Gollancz 2002) SF novel. This is similar to the Eos edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Longest Way Home Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-81487-0, Mar 2003, $7.50, 367pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Gollancz 2002) SF novel.
Nightwings Robert Silverberg (ibooks 0-7434-7446-5, Jul 2003, $6.99, 218pp, pb, cover by Scott Grimando) Reprint (Avon 1969) SF novel.
Other Dimensions Robert Silverberg (SFBC #57609, Sep 2003, $14.99, 736pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) Omnibus of four SF novels: The Man in the Maze (1969), Nightwings (1969), Up the Line (1969), and Dying Inside (1972). This has ISBN 0-7394-3637-6; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- vii · Introduction · in
- 1 · The Man in the Maze · n. New York: Avon, 1969
- 159 · Nightwings [Watcher] · n. New York: Avon, 1969
- 335 · Up the Line · n. New York: Ballantine, 1969
- 563 · Dying Inside · n. New York: Scribners, 1972
Roma Eterna Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97859-8, Jun 2003, $25.95, 396pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Roma Eterna] SF alternate history quasi-novel in ten parts, three new, covering millennia in a Roman Empire that never fell.
Shadrach in the Furnace Robert Silverberg (ibooks 0-7434-5847-8, Jan 2004, $11.95, 247pp, tp) Reprint (Bobbs-Merrill 1976) SF novel.
Son of Man Robert Silverberg (Sterling Publishing/Gollancz 0-575-07501-5, Jun 2003, $14.95, 192pp, tp, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Ballantine 1971) SF novel. This is the Gollancz SF Collectors edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing, 387 Park Ave. S., New York NY 10016-8810; 800-805-5489; [www.sterlingpub.com].
Legends II ed. Robert Silverberg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45644-0, Jan 2004, $28.95, 642pp, hc) Original anthology of 11 short novels by modern masters of fantasy, set in their most popular series. Authors include George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire), Robin Hobb (Realm of the Elderlings), Orson Scott Card (Tales of Alvin Maker), Diana Gabaldon (Outlander), Tad Williams (Otherland), Terry Brooks (Shannara), and Neil Gaiman (American Gods). First US edition (Voyager 9/03).
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, 1929-1964 ed. Robert Silverberg (Tor 0-765-30536-4, Feb 2003, $27.95, 560pp, hc, cover by Kenn Brown) Reprint (Doubleday 1970 as The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume 1) anthology of 26 classic SF stories.
Fantasy: The Best of 2002 ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber (ibooks 0-7434-5867-2, May 2003, $7.99, 358pp, pb, cover by Ciruelo) Best-of-the-year anthology of 11 stories. Authors include Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert Sheckley, and James Patrick Kelly. Copyrighted by ibooks.
- vii · Introduction · Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber · in
- 1 · Our Friend Electricity · Ron Wolfe · nv F&SF Jun, 2002
- 43 · King Rainjoys Tears [Persimmon Gaunt; Imago Bone] · Chris Willrich · nv F&SF Jul, 2002
- 75 · Social Dreaming of the Frin · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss F&SF Oct/Nov, 2002
- 87 · Agamemnons Run · Robert Sheckley · nv 30th Anniversary DAW: Science Fiction, ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim & Sheila E. Gilbert, DAW, 2002
- 119 · Creation · Jeffrey Ford · ss F&SF May, 2002
- 135 · The Face of an Angel · Brian Stableford · nv Leviathan 3, ed. Jeff VanderMeer & Forrest Aguirre, Ministry of Whimsy Press, 2002
- 171 · Dating Secrets of the Dead · David Prill · ss F&SF Jun, 2002
- 194 · Luck · James Patrick Kelly · nv Asimovs Jun, 2002
- 231 · The Majesty of Angels · Robert Reed · nv F&SF Sep, 2002
- 257 · Ailoura · Paul Di Filippo · nv Once Upon a Galaxy, ed. Wil McCarthy, Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2002
- 299 · Mr. Gaunt · John Langan · na F&SF Sep, 2002
- 354 · About the Authors · Misc. · bg
Science Fiction: The Best of 2002 ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber (ibooks 0-7434-5816-8, Feb 2003, $7.99, 420pp, pb, cover by Scott Grimando) Best-of-the-year anthology of 11 stories. Authors include Charles Stross, Geoffrey A. Landis, and Ted Chiang. Copyrighted by ibooks.
- vii · Introduction · Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber · in
- 1 · Tourist [Macx Family] · Charles Stross · nv Asimovs Feb, 2002
- 46 · The Long Chase · Geoffrey A. Landis · ss Asimovs Feb, 2002
- 63 · Coelacanths · Robert Reed · nv F&SF Mar, 2002
- 97 · Liking What You See: A Documentary · Ted Chiang · na Stories of Your Life and Others, Tor, 2002
- 142 · The Black Abacus · Yoon Ha Lee · ss F&SF Jun, 2002
- 156 · The Discharge [Dream Archipelago] · Christopher Priest · ss Sci Fiction website Feb 13, 2002
- 211 · Aboard the Beatitude · Brian W. Aldiss · nv 30th Anniversary DAW: Science Fiction, ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim & Sheila E. Gilbert, DAW, 2002
- 239 · Droplet · Benjamin Rosenbaum · ss F&SF Jul, 2002
- 264 · The War of the Worldviews · James Morrow · ss Mars Probes, ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, 2002
- 291 · Breathmoss [Ten Thousand and One Worlds] · Ian R. MacLeod · na Asimovs May, 2002
- 388 · Angles · Orson Scott Card · nv www.hatrack.com (online), 2002
City Clifford D. Simak (SFBC #55568, Sep 2003, $9.99, 191pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) [City (Websters)] Reissue (Gnome 1952) classic SF novel; it follows the text of the original edition, leaving out the Epilog added later. This is the fifth volume in the SFBC 50th Anniversary Collection; it has ISBN 0-7394-3526-4, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Hard as Nails Dan Simmons (St. Martins Minotaur 0-312-30528-1, Oct 2003, $24.95, 308pp, hc) [Joe Kurtz] Associational mystery, the third featuring ex-PI Joe Kurtz.
Hard Freeze Dan Simmons (St. Martins Minotaur 0-312-98948-2, Sep 2003, $6.99, 295pp, pb) [Joe Kurtz] Reprint (St. Martins Minotaur 2002) associational mystery, the second featuring ex-PI Joe Kurtz.
Ilium Dan Simmons (Subterranean Press 1-931081-88-3, Jul 2003, $75.00, 681pp, hc) [Ilium] Science fiction novel, a re-telling of The Iliad, and many other things. This is a signed, leatherbound limited edition of 724; a lettered edition of 26 ($500.00) is sold out. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
Ilium Dan Simmons (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97893-8, Jul 2003, $25.95, 576pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Ilium] Reprint (Subterranean Press 2003) far-future SF novel, a re-telling of The Iliad, among many other things.
Ilium Dan Simmons (SFBC #58301, Aug 2003, $12.99, 576pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Ilium] Reprint (Eos 2003) far-future SF novel, in part a re-telling of The Iliad. This is similar to the Eos edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Dead on My Feet Wm. Mark Simmons (Baen 0-7434-3610-5, Jun 2003, $24.00, 405pp, hc, cover by Patrick Turner) [Chris Csejthe] Humorous horror novel, sequel to One Foot in the Grave. Chris Cséjthe got an undead blood transfusion, and now the dead and undead are after him.
Hitchhiker: A Biography of Douglas Adams M. J. Simpson (Justin, Charles & Co. 1-932112-17-0, Nov 2003, $27.95, 406 + xxv, hc) Non-fiction, biography. This first US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 2/03) has been updated somewhat in an Introduction to the American Edition, and adds a new foreword by Neil Gaiman. Includes notes and index. Justin, Charles & Co., 20 Park Plaza, Suite 909, Boston MA 02116; 617-426-4406; [www.justincharlesbooks.com]. [Douglas Adams]
I Burn for You Susan Sizemore (Pocket Star 0-7434-6742-6, Oct 2003, $6.99, 345pp, pb, cover by Jae Song) [I Burn for You] Vampire romance novel.
I Burn for You Susan Sizemore (SFBC #17679, Nov 2003, $9.99, 345pp, hc) [I Burn for You] Reprint (Pocket Star 2003) vampire romance novel. This has ISBN 0-7394-3781-X; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Laws of the Blood: Heroes Susan Sizemore (Ace 0-441-01108-X, Oct 2003, $6.50, 280pp, pb, cover by Miro Sinovic) [Laws of the Blood] Vampire novel, fifth in a series about vampire Enforcers.
Dust Arthur Slade (Random House/Lamb 0-385-73004-7, Apr 2003, $15.95, 183pp, hc, cover by Jonathan Barkat) Young-adult fantasy novel set in the Depression era. A stranger arrives in town just as kids go missing.
Embracing the Starlight Dave Smeds (Dark Regions Press/Tachyon Publications 1-888993-33-2, Feb 2003, $100.00, 342pp, hc) Reprint (Dark Regions/Tachyon 2002) collection of 13 stories, two expanded from previously published versions. Smeds provides introductions to each story. This is a companion to the trade paperback edition listed as seen 8/02 (both were scheduled for 2/03); it drops three stories from the trade edition and adds four others. A signed, lettered hardcover edition of 26, hand-bound by Smeds. Co-published by Tachyon Publications and Dark Regions Press; order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 1558, Brentwood CA 94513; [http://darkregions.hypermart.net/].
- 1 · Termites · ss IASFM May 87
- 27 · Suicidal Tendencies · nv Full Spectrum 4, ed. Lou Aronica, Amy Stout & Betsy Mitchell, Bantam Spectra, 1993
- 59 · A Wife of Acorn, Leaf, and Rain · ss Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, HarperPrism, 1998
- 87 · Fearless · nv Warriors of Blood and Dream, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 119 · Foam · ss Realms of Fantasy Dec 95
- 147 · Reef Apes · nv IASFM Aug 92
- 173 · Foreigners · vi Pulphouse Aug 92
- 179 · Sorceress of the Gulls · ss Sword and Sorceress #5, ed. Marion Zimmer Bradley, DAW, 1988
- 211 · Short Timer · nv F&SF Dec 94
- 237 · A Marathon Runner in the Human Race · ss F&SF Mar 94
- 261 · Strange Tricks · ss Aberations #5 92; first published in shorter form in Club, December 1986.
- 277 · The Eighth of December · nv David Copperfields Tales of the Impossible, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 307 · Survivor · nv Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
The Art of Adrian Smith Adrian Smith (BL Publishing/Black Library 1-84416-062-9, Sep 2003, $29.95, 96pp, tp, cover by Adrian Smith) Art book with numerous reproductions of art, both color and b&w, done for various Warhammer"-related publications. Introduction by William King. Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare Chris Smith (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-39100-2, Nov 2003, $18.95, 218pp, hc) Pictorial guide to the movies military aspects, heavily illustrated with photos and stills. Introduction by Daniel Falconer & Richard Taylor. Foreword by Christopher Lee. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies Clark Ashton Smith (Wildside Press 0-8095-3367-7, Dec 2003, $15.00, 106pp, tp, cover by Rich DiSilvio) Reprint (Auburn Journal 1933) collection of six stories. A hardcover edition (-3366-9, $29.95) is also available. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
- 7 · The Voyage of King Euvoran [Zothique] · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- 38 · The Maze of the Enchanter [Maal Dweb] · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- 58 · The Double Shadow · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- 75 · A Night in Malnéant · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- 84 · The Devotee of Evil · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
- 100 · The Willow Landscape · ss The Double Shadow and Other Fantasies, Auburn Journal: Auburn CA, 1933
A Rendezvous in Averoigne Clark Ashton Smith (Arkham House 0-87054-156-0, Jul 2003, $32.95, 473pp, hc, cover by Dariusz Jasiczak) Reissue (Arkham House 1988) collection of 30 weird stories. This second edition retains the 1988 introduction by Ray Bradbury and illustrations by J.K. Potter.
Selected Letters of Clark Ashton Smith Clark Ashton Smith (Arkham House 0-87054-182-X, Dec 2003, $35.95, 417 + xxvii, hc, cover by Clark Ashton Smith) Collection of 276 letters by Smith to correspondents including Frank Belknap Long, H.P. Lovecraft, Donald Wandrei, and August Derleth. Selected, edited, annotated, and with an introduction by David E. Schultz & Scott Connors. This includes 12 unpaginated pages of b&w photos, and an index. Available from Arkham House, PO Box 546, Sauk City WI 53583; [www.arkhamhouse.com].
Norstrilia Cordwainer Smith (ibooks 0-7434-5834-6, Mar 2003, $12.00, 275pp, tp, cover by Scott Grimando) [Instrumentality of Mankind] Reprint (Del Rey 1975) SF novel. This has a new introduction by Robert Silverberg. The novel is a photo reproduction of the 1975 Del Rey edition, but the text has spread somewhat and is less readable.
The Core Dean Wesley Smith (Pocket Star 0-7434-6398-6, Mar 2003, $6.99, 252pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Smallville: Whodunnit Dean Wesley Smith (Warner Aspect 0-446-61216-2, Mar 2003, $5.99, 221pp, pb) [Smallville] Novelization based on the television series based on DC Comics Superman. Copyrighted by DC Comics.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds VI ed. Dean Wesley Smith, John J. Ordover & Paula M. Block (Pocket 0-7434-6753-1, Jun 2003, $14.95, 370 + x, tp, cover by Sonia Hillios) Original Star Trek anthology of 23 stories written by fans as part of a contest (rules included). Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Poe Cinema: A Critical Filmography of Theatrical Releases Based on the Works of Edgar Allan Poe Don G. Smith (McFarland 0-7864-1703-X, Aug 2003, $35.00, 307pp, tp) Reprint (McFarland 1999) non-fiction study of films from 1908 to 1992 based on Poes works, comparing films and the works on which theyre based. Includes an annotated bibliography and an index. Order from McFarland & Company, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com]; add $4.00 postage. [Edgar Allan Poe]
The Complete Skylark E. E. Doc Smith (SFBC #58661, Aug 2003, 788pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Skylark (Seaton, Crane et al)] Omnibus of four SF novels in the Skylark series: The Skylark of Space (1946), Skylark Three (1948), Skylark of Valeron (1949), and Skylark Duquesne (1966). This has ISBN 0-7394-3602-3; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · The Skylark of Space · n. The Buffalo Book Co., 1946
- 161 · Skylark Three · n. Fantasy Press, 1948
- 357 · Skylark of Valeron · n. Fantasy Press, 1949
- 557 · Skylark Duquesne · n. New York: Pyramid, 1966