Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Well of Lost Plots Jasper Fforde (SFBC #1162077, Sep 2004, $10.99, 379 + xvii, tp, cover by Viktor Koen) [Thursday Next] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2003) humorous fantasy novel, third in the series featuring Thursday Next. This has ISBN 0-965-91186-1; it lacks a price and has the book club number on the back jacket.
The Worm in Every Heart Gemma Files (Wildside Press/Prime Books 1-894815-76-9, Nov 2004, $17.95, 278pp, tp, cover by Dale Sproule) Collection of 15 stories, three original; many are dark fantasy, and most first appeared in small-press venues. Introduction by Nancy Kilpatrick. Filess afterword, an interview with herself, discusses some of her inspirations and the nature of horror. Order from Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.net].
- 7 · Introduction · Nancy Kilpatrick · in
- 11 · Nigredo · ss *
- 31 · Ring of Fire · ss Palace Corbie #6 95
- 50 · The Guided Tour · ss The Vampires Crypt #13 96
- 57 · Year Zero · nv The Mammoth Book of Vampire Stories by Women, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 2001
- 82 · Flare · ss Dangerous Women, ed. S. G. Johnson, Elkton, MD: Obelesk Books, 1994
- 96 · Bottle of Smoke · nv Demon Sex, ed. Amarantha Knight, Rhinoceros, 1998
- 113 · Fly-by-Night · ss The Vampires Crypt #8 93
- 121 · In the Poor Girl Taken by Surprise · ss The Worm in Every Heart, Prime Books, 2003
- 130 · A Single Shadow Make · ss Techno Myths, ed. S. G. Johnson, Elkton, MD: Obelesk Books, 1994
- 149 · The Land Beyond the Forest · ss The Vampires Crypt #10 94
- 160 · Sent Down · ss Terror Tales (Number Two), ed. John B. Ford & Paul Kane, Rainfall Books, 2004
- 179 · The Kindly Ones · ss *
- 187 · By the Mark · ss *
- 200 · The Emperors Old Bones · ss Northern Frights 5, ed. Don Hutchison, Mosaic Press, 1999
- 219 · The Narrow World · na The Narrow World, Quantum Theology Publications, 2001
- 267 · Afterword · aw
Birds Sheila Finch (Wildside Press 0-8095-0056-6, Nov 2004, $15.00, 211pp, tp, cover by Karl Romer) SF novel. A woman tries to uncover the truth about the death of her sister, a NASA astronaut. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
The Blue Roan Child Jamieson Findlay (Scholastic/The Chicken House 0-439-62752-4, Jun 2004, $16.95, 253pp, hc, cover by Tim OBrien) Young-adult fantasy novel. An orphan stablegirl seeks two colts stolen from the king. A first novel. First US edition (Doubleday Canada 2002).
Ghostbusters: The Return Sholly Fisch (ibooks 0-7434-7948-3, Oct 2004, $6.99, 296pp, tp, cover by Gabriel Ippoliti) [Ghostbusters] Novelization based on the characters from the movies. Copyrighted by Columbia Pictures Industries.
The Oracle Betrayed Catherine Fisher (HarperCollins/Greenwillow 0-06-057157-8, Mar 2004, $16.99, 341pp, hc, cover by Nenad Jakesevic) [Oracle Prophecies] Young-adult fantasy novel, the first in The Oracle Prophecies series set in a land combining elements out of the ancient worlds of Egypt and Greece. First US edition (Hodder Silver 2003 as The Oracle).
Snow-walker Catherine Fisher (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-072474-9, Sep 2004, $17.99, 507pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Snow Walker] Young-adult omnibus of a fantasy trilogy with elements of Norse myth: The Snow-walkers Son (1993), The Empty Hand (1995), and The Soul Thieves (1996). First US edition (Red Fox 2003 as The Snow-walker Trilogy).
Wild Magic Jude Fisher (DAW 0-7564-0189-5, Jul 2004, $6.99, 586pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) [Fools Gold] Reprint (DAW 2003) fantasy novel, second in the Fools Gold trilogy. Fisher is a pen name for Jane Johnson.
Havoc After Dark Robert Fleming (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-0575-9, Mar 2004, $14.00, 241 + xiv, tp) Reprint (Sadorian Publications 2002, not seen) collection of 14 horror stories. Foreword by Tananarive Due.
- xi · Foreword · Tananarive Due · fw
- xiii · Introduction · in
- 1 · Life After Bas · ss *
- 21 · The Tenderness of Monsieur Blanc · ss *
- 37 · The Ultimate Bad Luck · ss *
- 51 · In My Fathers House · ss *
- 67 · The Inhuman Condition · ss *
- 83 · Bordering on the Divine · ss *
- 99 · Havoc After Dark · ss *
- 115 · The Blasphemer · ss *
- 131 · Arbeit Macht Frei · nv *
- 155 · Speak No Evil · ss *
- 175 · Punish the Young Seed of Satan · ss *
- 183 · A Lizards Kiss · ss *
- 199 · The Garden of Evil · ss *
- 213 · The Wisdom of the Serpents · nv *
1634: The Galileo Affair Eric Flint & Andrew Dennis (Baen 0-7434-8815-6, Apr 2004, $25.00, 549pp, hc, cover by Tom Kidd)  SF novel in the series begun in 1632. The American time travelers are divided on a plot to save Galileo from his trial for heresy.
1634: The Galileo Affair Eric Flint & Andrew Dennis (SFBC #65135, May 2004, $12.49, 549pp, hc, cover by Tom Kidd)  Reprint (Baen 2004) SF time-travel novel in the series begun in 1632. This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Rats, the Bats & the Ugly Eric Flint & Dave Freer (Baen 0-7434-8846-6, Sep 2004, $24.00, 391pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Rats, Bats & Vats] Humorous military SF novel, sequel to Rats, Bats, & Vats. The heroes return home to find the aliens have taken over the bureacracy.
The Grantville Gazette ed. Eric Flint (Baen 0-7434-8860-1, Nov 2004, $6.99, 361pp, pb, cover by Thomas Kidd)  Shared-world alternate-history anthology of five stories set in the 1632 universe, one original by Flint, plus three non-fiction articles on the world. The rest were originally published online in the eponymous e-zine.
- · Portraits · Eric Flint · ss *
- · Annas Story · Loren Jones · ss Grantville Gazette v1, 2003
- · Curio and Relic · Tom Van Natta · ss Grantville Gazette v1, 2003
- · The Sewing Circle · Gorg Huff · ss Grantville Gazette v1, 2003; illus. 1632
- · The Rudolsadt Colloquy · Virginia De Marce · ss Grantville Gazette v1, 2003; illus. 1632
- · Radio in the 1632 Universe · Rick Boatright · ar Grantville Gazette, 2003
- · Theyve Got Bread Mold, So Why Cant They Make Penicillin? · Robert Gottlief · ar Grantville Gazette, 2003
- · Horse Power · Karen Bergstralh · ar Grantville Gazette, 2003
The Wreck of The River of Stars Michael Flynn (Tor 0-765-34033-X, May 2004, $7.99, 534pp, pb, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel about an outdated space-sailing ship.
Nothing Sacred Tom Flynn (Prometheus Books 1-59102-127-8, Feb 2004, $19.95, 474pp, tp, cover by Michael Carroll) [Galactic Rapture] Satirical SF novel, sequel to Galactic Rapture. An Earth-boy seeks his fortune in the Galactic civilization that looks down on Earth. Order from Prometheus Books, 59 John Glenn Drive, Amherst NY 14228-2197; 800-421-0351; [www.prometheusbooks.com]; add $4.45 postage.
Freewalker Dennis Foon (Annick Press 1-55037-884-8, Sep 2004, $9.95, 385 + vii, tp, cover by Susan Madsen) [Longlight Legacy] Young-adult post-holocaust science fantasy novel, second in The Longlight Legacy. Roan is torn between his murdered peoples pledge of peace, and desire for revenge. A hardcover edition (-885-6, C$19.95) was announced but not seen. Available in the US from Firefly Books, PO Box 1338, Ellicott Station, Buffalo NY 14205; [www.annickpress.com]; 800-387-5085.
Dungeons & Dragons: Knights of the Silver Dragon 1: Secret of the Spiritkeeper Matt Forbeck (Wizards of the Coast/Mirrorstone Books 0-7869-3143-4, Aug 2004, $5.99, 181pp, tp, cover by Emily Fiegenshuh) [Dungeons & Dragons: Knights of the Silver Dragon] Young-adult novelization based on the roleplaying game world. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Heat of Fusion and Other Stories John M. Ford (Tor 0-312-85546-X, Mar 2004, $24.95, 366pp, hc, cover by Shelley Eshkar) Collection of ten stories and 13 poems, one original.
- 9 · The Persecutors Tale · ss Amazing Nov 82
- 23 · 20 Questers · pm Speculative Engineering
- 35 · The Hemstitch Notebooks · ss IASFM Aug 89
- 43 · Third Thoughts · pm Timesteps: A Selection of Poems, Rune Press, 1993
- 49 · Chromatic Aberration · nv Ascent of Wonder, ed. David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer, Tor, 1994
- 85 · Cosmology: A Users Manual · pm IASFM Jan 90
- 89 · The Man in the Golden Mask · pm Speculative Engineering
- 103 · Preflash · ss Silver Scream, ed. David J. Schow, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 125 · Letter from Elsinore · pm Timesteps: A Selection of Poems, Rune Press, 1993
- 131 · In the Days of the Comet · vi Nature Jun 22, 2000
- 135 · Windows on an Empty Throne · pm Speculative Engineering
- 143 · Erase/Record/Play: A Drama for Print · na Starlight 1, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1996
- 193 · Winter Solstice, Camelot Station · pm Invitation to Camelot, ed. Parke Godwin, Ace, 1988
- 201 · Heat of Fusion · ss IASFM Sep 84
- 219 · The Lost Dialogue: A Reconstruction from Irrecoverable Sources · pm, 1995
- 231 · Janus: Sonnet · pm Timesteps: A Selection of Poems, Rune Press, 1993
- 233 · Shared World · pm Timesteps: A Selection of Poems, Rune Press, 1993
- 239 · Shelter from the Storm · na IASFM Jul 82
- · SF Clichés: A Sonnet Cycle
- 297 · I: Galactic Empires · pm Amazing Jul 84
- 298 · II: Psionics · pm Amazing Nov 84
- 298 · III: Time Machines · pm Amazing Jan 85
- 299 · IV: Space Mercenaries · pm Amazing Nov 89
- 299 · V: The Alien · pm Amazing Jan 90
- 300 · VI: Immortality · pm Amazing Jan 90
- 300 · VII: The Big Computer · pm Amazing Mar 90
- 301 · VIII: Starports · pm Amazing Mar 90
- 301 · IX: Alternate Worlds · pm Amazing May 90
- 302 · X: The City of Tomorrow · pm Amazing May 90
- 302 · XI: Starships · pm Amazing Sep 90
- 303 · XII: The End · pm Amazing Nov 90
- 305 · Dateline: Colonus · ss Temporary Walls, ed. Greg Ketter & Robert T. Garcia, Dreamhaven/1993 World Fantasy Convention, 1993
- 321 · Dark Sea · pm Speculative Engineering
- 341 · Tales from the Original Gothic · ss The Architecture of Fear, ed. Kathryn Cramer & Peter D. Pautz, Arbor House, 1987
- 361 · 110 Stories · pm *
Abandon All Hope Tony L. Ford (Nephilim Books 0-9747560-0-8, Jun 2004, $7.99, unpaginated, tp, cover by Tony L. Ford) Horror novel. Calendar Meigui seeks her family in Hell. A first novel. Order from Nephilim Books, 2733 Beltline Blvd., Columbia SC 29204-3518.
The Witches of Winged-Horse Mountain Sandra Forrester (Barrons 0-7641-2784-5, Apr 2004, $4.95, 248pp, tp, cover by Nancy Lane) [Adventures of Beatrice Bailey] Young-adult fantasy novel about an apprentice witch, the fourth in The Adventures of Beatrice Bailey.
The Chronicles of Riddick Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46839-2, May 2004, $6.99, 342pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by Universal Studios Licensing.
Flinxs Folly Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45039-6, Oct 2004, $6.99, 269pp, pb) [Pip & Flinx] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) SF novel in the Pip & Flinx series.
For Love of Mother-Not Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34689-0, Oct 2004, $6.99, 238pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Pip & Flinx] Reissue (Del Rey 1983) SF novel in the Pip and Flinx series. This indicates first edition.
Lost and Found Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46125-8, Jul 2004, $23.95, 248pp, hc) [Taken] SF novel, volume one of the Taken trilogy about a Chicago commodities broker and a talking dog abducted by alien slavers.
Orphan Star Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-32449-8, Nov 2004, $6.99, 221pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Pip & Flinx] Reissue (Del Rey 1977) SF novel in the Pip and Flinx series; this indicates first printing.
Sliding Scales Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46156-8, Nov 2004, $24.95, 245pp, hc, cover by Robert Hunt) [Pip & Flinx] SF novel in the Pip & Flinx series. Depressed Flinx tries to take a vacation.
Sliding Scales Alan Dean Foster (SFBC #1168250, Nov 2004, $12.99, 246pp, hc, cover by Robert Hunt) [Pip & Flinx] Reprint (Del Rey 2004) SF novel in the Pip & Flinx series. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Spellsinger Alan Dean Foster (ibooks 0-7434-9825-9, Dec 2004, $6.99, 347pp, pb, cover by Scott Grimando) [Spellsinger] Reprint (Warner 1983) fantasy novel, book one in the eponymous series.
The Tar-Aiym Krang Alan Dean Foster (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-30280-X, Nov 2004, $6.99, 251pp, pb) [Pip & Flinx] Reissue (Del Rey 1972) SF novel in the Pip and Flinx series; this indicates first printing.
Full Dark House Christopher Fowler (Bantam 0-553-80387-5, Jun 2004, $24.00, 356pp, hc, cover by Chris Spollen) [Bryant & May] Gothic mystery featuring the decrepit detectives Bryant and May. First US edition (Doubleday UK 8/03).
The Jane Austen Book Club Karen Joy Fowler (Putnam 0-399-15161-3, Apr 2004, $23.95, 288pp, hc, cover by Kirk Richards) Associational contemporary comedy of manners.
Sarah Canary Karen Joy Fowler (Penguin/Plume 0-452-28647-6, Aug 2004, $14.00, 290pp, tp) Reprint (Holt 1991) associational literary novel.
The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1 ed. Karen Joy Fowler, Pat Murphy, Debbie Notkin & Jeffrey D. Smith (Tachyon Publications 1-892391-19-8, Nov 2004, $15.95, 302pp, tp) Anthology of eight Tiptree Award-winning and shortlisted stories, excerpts from one novel, plus one story by Hans Christian Andersen in a new translation. There are also four essays, three original by Suzy McKee Charnas, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Joanna Russ. Introductions by Murphy and Fowler.
- vii · Introduction · Pat Murphy & Karen Joy Fowler · in (*), 2004
- 3 · Birth Days · Geoff Ryman · ss Interzone Apr, 2003
- 19 · Everything but the Signature Is Me · James Tiptree, Jr. · ar Khatru Feb 78
- 29 · The Ghost Girls of Rumney Mill · Sandra McDonald · ss Realms of Fantasy Aug, 2003
- 45 · Boys · Carol Emshwiller · ss Sci Fiction website Jan 28, 2003
- 61 · Genre: A Word Only the French Could Love · Ursula K. Le Guin · ar *
- 71 · Set This House in Order · Matt Ruff · ex, 2003
- 93 · Judging the Tiptree · Suzy McKee Charnas · ar *
- 105 · The Catgirl Manifesto: An Introduction [as by Christina Flook] · Richard Calder · ss Album Zutique #1, ed. Jeff Vandermeer, Night Shade Books, 2003
- 131 · Looking Through Lace · Ruth Nestvold · na Asimovs Sep, 2003
- 187 · Tiptree and History · Joanna Russ · ar *
- 191 · What I Didnt See · Karen Joy Fowler · ss Sci Fiction website Jul 10, 2002
- 211 · The Snow Queen · Hans Christian Andersen; trans. by Diana Crone & Jeffrey Frank · nv, 2003
- 241 · The Lady of the Ice Garden · Kara Dalkey · nv Firebirds, ed. Sharyn November, Penguin/Firebird, 2003
- 263 · Travels with the Snow Queen · Kelly Link · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Win 96
- 283 · Winners and short lists · Misc. · bi
- 293 · Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
- 295 · About the Authors · Misc. · bg
- 301 · About the Editors · Misc. · bg
Bride of the Fat White Vampire Andrew Fox (Ballantine 0-345-46408-7, Aug 2004, $14.95, 429pp, tp) [Fat White Vampire] Vampire novel, second in the series about an obese white vampire in New Orleans.
The Lost Girls Laurie Fox (Simon & Schuster 0-7432-1790-X, Jan 2004, $23.00, 274pp, hc) [Peter Pan] Literary fantasy novel, drawing on J.M. Barries Peter Pan, about the most recent generations of Darling women and their experiences with Peter Pan.
Path of Honor Diana Pharaoh Francis (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45991-1, Dec 2004, $7.50, 379pp, pb, cover by Alan Pollack) [Reisil] Fantasy novel, sequel to Path of Fate. Reisils healing magic cant help with a new plague.
Conrad Stargard: The Radiant Warrior Leo Frankowski (Baen 0-7434-8863-6, Dec 2004, $24.00, 741pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Conrad Starguard] Omnibus of three SF time-travel novels in the Conrad Starguard series: The Cross-Time Engineer (1986), The High-Tech Knight (1989), and The Radiant Warrior (1989).
- · Authors Note: Medieval Time · fw
- 1 · The Cross-Time Engineer · n. New York: Del Rey, 1986
- 243 · The High-Tech Knight · n. New York: Del Rey, 1989
- 483 · The Radiant Warrior · n. New York: Del Rey, 1989
Conrads Time Machine Leo Frankowski (Baen 0-7434-7191-1, Feb 2004, $7.99, 404pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Conrad Starguard] Reprint (Baen 2002) SF time-travel novel, a prequel to the Conrad Starguard series.
Kren of the Mitchegai Leo Frankowski & Dave Grossman (Baen 0-7434-7182-2, Mar 2004, $24.00, 378pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [New Kashubia] SF novel. Third in the series about the VR mercenaries of New Kashubia. Aliens heading for human space sterilize any planet they colonize.
The War with Earth Leo Frankowski & Dave Grossman (Baen 0-7434-9877-1, Jan 2005, $6.99, 405pp, pb, cover by Mark Hennessy-Barrett) [Boy and His Tank] Reprint (Baen 2003) military SF novel, sequel to Frankowskis A Boy and His Tank.
Covenants Lorna Freeman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45980-6, May 2004, $7.50, 548pp, pb, cover by Patrick Jones) [Borderlands] Fantasy novel, the first in the Borderlands series. A magic mountain cat wants a lost trooper to help stop a war. A first novel.
The Wilding C. S. Friedman (DAW 0-7564-0164-X, Jul 2004, $24.95, 440pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [In Conquest Born] SF novel, sequel to In Conquest Born.
Waking Beauty Elyse Friedman (Random House/Crown/Three Rivers Press 1-4000-5106-1, Jun 2004, $12.95, 244pp, tp) Fantasy novel. An unhappy overweight 22 year old wakes up with the body of a sex goddess.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Stargazer: Enigma Michael Jan Friedman (Pocket 0-7434-4856-1, Aug 2004, $6.99, 259pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Stargazer] Star Trek novelization, the fifth in a series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Stargazer: Maker Michael Jan Friedman (Pocket 0-7434-4858-8, Sep 2004, $6.99, 275pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Stargazer] Star Trek novelization, the sixth in a series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Turn the Other Chick ed. Esther M. Friesner (Baen 0-7434-8857-1, Nov 2004, $20.00, 295pp, hc, cover by Mitch Foust) Original anthology of 22 humorous stories, all original, about woman warriors, fifth in the Chicks anthology series. Authors include Eric Flint, Jody Lynn Nye, and Harry Turtledove. The editors name is given as Esther Friesner on the jacket, but includes the M. inside. This is copyrighted by Friesner and Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books.
Turn the Other Chick ed. Esther M. Friesner (SFBC #1174216, Dec 2004, $10.99, 295pp, hc, cover by Mitch Foust) Reprint (Baen 2004) original anthology of 22 humorous stories about woman warriors, fifth in the Chicks anthology series. This is copyrighted by Friesner and Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books. This is similar to the Baen edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.