Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Goblins! Brian Froud & Ari Berk (Abrams 0-8109-4941-5, Oct 2004, $25.00, 90pp, hc, cover by Brian Froud) Humorous fantasy/art book, with text by Berk and art by Froud, with some additional 3-D goblins by Wendy Froud. Simultaneous with the UK (Pavilion) edition.
Dragon Rider Cornelia Funke (Scholastic/The Chicken House 0-439-45695-9, Sep 2004, $12.95, 523pp, hc, cover by Don Seegmiller) Young-adult fantasy about a boy, a brownie, and a dragon searching for a place where dragons can live in peace. Translated from the German Drachenreiter (Cecilie Dressler 1997) by Anthea Bell. This is bound-in-boards, with a fold-out map inside.
Inkheart Cornelia Funke (SFBC #91497, Jun 2004, $9.99, 535pp, hc, cover by Carol Lawson) [Inkheart] Reprint (The Chicken House US 2003) young-adult fantasy. Translated from the German Tintinherz (Dressler Verlag 2003) by Anthea Bell. This is bound in boards; the cover lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back.
Colman Monica Furlong (Random House 0-375-81514-7, Feb 2004, $15.95, 267pp, hc, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Wise Child] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to Juniper and Wise Child. Introduction by Karen Cushman.
Juniper Monica Furlong (Random House 0-679-83369-2, Feb 2004, $4.99, 198pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Wise Child] Reissue (Gollancz 1990 as A Year and a Day) young-adult Celtic fantasy novel, prequel to Wise Child. 13th printing. A hardcover edition (0-394-83220-5, $15.95) is also available.
Wise Child Monica Furlong (Random House 0-394-82598-5, Feb 2004, $4.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) [Wise Child] Reissue (Gollancz 1987) young-adult Celtic fantasy novel. 17th printing. A simultaneous hardcover reissue (-89105-8, $15.95) was announced but not seen.
Lord John and the Private Matter Diana Gabaldon (Dell/Delta 0-385-33748-5, Nov 2004, $10.00, 305pp, tp) [Outlander; Lord John Grey] Reprint (Delacorte 2003) associational historical mystery novel, a non-fantasy spin-off to the time-travel fantasy Outlander series. This includes the novella Lord John and the Hell-fire Club.
- · Lord John and the Hell-Fire Club · Diana Gabaldon · na Legends II, ed. Robert Silverberg, Voyager, 2003
American Gods Neil Gaiman (Hill House 0-931771-02-1, Feb 2004, $200.00, 533pp, hc) [American Gods] Reprint (Morrow 2001) contemporary fantasy novel, The Authors Preferred Edition with an added 12,000 words. This is a signed, slipcased, limited edition of 750; a lettered edition of 52 also exists. Available from Hill House, 491 Illington Road, Ossining NY 10562;
Angels & Visitations: A Miscellany Neil Gaiman (DreamHaven Books 0-9630944-2-4, Dec 2003, $29.95, 166pp, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Reissue (DreamHaven 1993) collection of stories, poems, and non-fiction pieces. Sixth printing.
The Christmas Booklet Neil Gaiman (Hill House, Dec 2003, no price, 15pp, ph) Chapbook fantasy short story, originally written as part of American Gods but never used. This is a signed, limited edition of 500, available only to subscribers to the Neil Gaimans Author Preferred Edition Series. Available from Hill House, 491 Illington Road, Ossining NY 10562; [HillHousePublishers.com].
Coraline Neil Gaiman (HarperTrophy 0-06-057591-3, May 2004, $5.99, 195pp, pb, cover by Dave McKean) Reprint (HarperCollins 2002) young-adult fantasy. Illustrated by Dave McKean. Winner of Hugo, Stoker, and Locus awards.
The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish Neil Gaiman & Dave McKean (HarperCollins 0-06-058701-6, Sep 2004, $16.99, unpaginated, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Reprint (White Wolf 1997) quasi-fantasy childrens picturebook. This is a new deluxe edition in a larger size, with new cover art and two added pages of art, a limited edition CD of Gaiman reading the story, and a new afterword by Gaiman.
Legend of the Jade Dragon Yasmine Galenorn (Berkley Prime Crime 0-425-19621-6, May 2004, $5.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Lisa Falkenstern) [Chintz n China] Mystery with supernatural elements, second in the Chintz n China mystery series. Teashop proprietor and witch Emerald OBrien gets a statue with a bad-luck spell attached.
Murder Under a Mystic Moon Yasmine Galenorn (Berkley Prime Crime 0-425-20002-7, Jan 2005, $5.99, 275pp, pb, cover by Lisa Falkenstern) [Chintz n China] Mystery with supernatural elements, third in the Chintz n China mystery series. Something deadly lurks in the woods around Klickavail Valley.
Aldabra, or The Tortoise Who Loved Shakespeare Silvana Gandolfi (Scholastic/Levine 0-439-49741-8, Apr 2004, $16.95, 151pp, hc, cover by Peter Malone) Young-adult fantasy novel of a girl dealing with her grandmothers transformation into a tortoise. Translated from the Italian Aldabra, la tartaruga che amara Shakespeare (Grandi & Associati 2001) by Lynne Sharon Schwartz.
Lady Robyn R. Garcia y Robertson (Tor 0-765-34573-0, Jul 2004, $6.99, 423pp, pb) [Robyn Stafford] Reprint (Forge 2003) time-travel historical romance, sequel to Knight Errant.
White Rose R. Garcia y Robertson (Tor/Forge 0-312-86994-0, Sep 2004, $25.95, 384pp, hc, cover by Peter Fiore) [Robyn Stafford] Time-travel historical romance, third in the series begun in Knight Errant.
Anonymous Rex/Casual Rex Eric Garcia (Ace 0-441-01275-2, Nov 2004, $15.00, 565pp, tp) [Vincent Rubio] Omnibus of two contemporary SF mystery novels in the series featuring velociraptor PI Vincent Rubio: Anonymous Rex (1999) and Casual Rex (2001). This is a TV tie-in edition.
- 1 · Anonymous Rex · n. Villard, 1999
- 291 · Casual Rex · n. Villard, 2001
Hot and Sweaty Rex Eric Garcia (Random House/Villard 0-375-50523-7, Mar 2004, $24.95, 336pp, hc) [Vincent Rubio] Contemporary SF lost-race mystery novel, the third in the series featuring PI Vincent Rubio, a velociraptor living in disguise in LA. Vincent goes to Florida for the dinosaur mafia.
Unspeakable Vitrine Victoria Elisabeth Garcia (Clawfoot Bathdog Press, Aug 2004, $5.00, 46pp, ph, cover by Robin Catesby) Chapbook original collection of five stories, two reprints. Introduction by Ray Vukcevich. Issued for Wiscon. Order from Clawfoot Bathdog, 1628 Bellevue Ave. #103, Seattle WA 98122; [www.clawfootbathdog.com].
- · Anthropology · ss Polyphony, Volume 1, ed. Deborah Layne & Jay Lake, Wheatland Press, 2002
- · Wallys Porn · Victoria Elizabeth Garcia · ss Rabid Transit: A Mischief of Rats, ed. Barth Anderson, Christopher Barzak, Alan DeNiro, & Kristin Livdahl, Velocity Press, 2003
- · Rosalyn, Who Loved Horses · ss *
- · Preserve Us · ss *
- · The Chitin Heart · ss *
Angel: Dark Mirror Craig Shaw Gardner (Simon Spotlight 0-689-86701-8, Apr 2004, $5.99, 262pp, pb) [Angel] Novelization based on the TV show. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Man of Bronze James Alan Gardner (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46173-8, Jan 2005, $6.99, 294pp, pb) [Lara Croft] Novelization based on the world of the video games. Copyrighted by Core Design.
Radiant James Alan Gardner (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-059526-4, Aug 2004, $23.95, 374pp, hc, cover by Fred Gambino) [League of Peoples] SF novel in the League of Peoples universe. Festina Ramos teams up with an Explorer in many ways her opposite to fight an alien threat.
Radiant James Alan Gardner (SFBC #1167859, Sep 2004, $11.99, 374pp, hc, cover by Fred Gambino) [League of Peoples] Reprint (Eos 2004) SF novel in the League of Peoples universe. This is similar to the Eos edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Lord Darcy Randall Garrett (Baen 0-7434-7184-9, Feb 2004, $7.99, 719pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Lord Darcy] Reprint (SFBC 1983) omnibus/collection of fantasy novel Too Many Magicians (1979), and collections Murder and Magic (1979), and Lord Darcy Investigates (1981), plus two additional stories.
Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth John Garth (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-33129-8, Dec 2003, $26.00, 398 + xviii, hc) Non-fiction, an authorized biography tracing the influence of WWI on Tolkiens work. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 11/03). [J. R. R. Tolkien]
The Girl in the Basement and Other Stories Ray Garton (Subterranean Press 1-59606-012-3, Sep 2004, $40.00, 184pp, hc, cover by Glenn Chadbourne) Original horror collection of five stories. This is a signed, limited edition of 400; a lettered edition of 52 ($175.00) with an exclusive vampire novella is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
- 9 · The Girl in the Basement · n. *
- 141 · Cat Lover · ss *
- 153 · Reception · ss *
- 161 · The Night Clerk · ss *
- 169 · Housesitting · ss *
Warhammer 40,000: What Price Victory ed. Marc Gascoigne & Christian Dunn (BL Publishing/Black Library US 1-84416-077-7, May 2004, $6.99, 252pp, pb, cover by Scott Johnson) [Warhammer 40,000] Anthology of seven stories, two original, based on the fantasy roleplaying game, most originally published in Inferno! Copyrighted by Games Workshop. First US edition (Black Library UK 4/04).
Warhammer: Swords of the Empire ed. Marc Gascoigne & Christian Dunn (BL Publishing/Black Library US 1-84416-088-2, Jun 2004, $6.99, 253pp, pb, cover by Karl Kopinski) [Warhammer] Anthology of six stories, one original, based on the roleplaying game universe. Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
The Prison R. Patrick Gates (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1639-6, Nov 2004, $5.99, 429pp, pb) Horror novel. Prisoners are possessed by former inmates of their asylum-turned-prison.
People of the Owl Kathleen ONeal & W. Michael Gear (Tor/Forge 0-812-58983-1, Jun 2004, $7.99, 598pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [First North Americans] Reprint (Forge 2003) associational prehistorical novel, 11th in the First North Americans series.
People of the Raven Kathleen ONeal & W. Michael Gear (Tor/Forge 0-765-30855-X, Sep 2004, $25.95, 494pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [First North Americans] Associational prehistorical novel, 12th in the First North Americans series.
People of the Wolf W. Michael & Kathleen ONeal Gear (Tor 0-765-35030-0, May 2004, $3.99, 435pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [First North Americans] Reprint (Tor 1990) associational prehistorical novel, first in the First North Americans series. This is a Special Edition at a special price; it has a new ISBN and indicates first printing.
The Science of Middle-earth Henry Gee (Cold Spring Press 1-59360-023-2, Nov 2004, $14.00, 253pp, tp) Associational non-fiction, a look at science as presented in Tolkiens Middle-earth. Foreword by David Brin. Includes an index. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
Hot Blood ed. Jeff Gelb & Lonn Friend (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1643-4, Jun 2004, $5.99, 350pp, pb) Reprint (Pocket 1989) erotic horror anthology.
Hotter Blood ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1644-2, Sep 2004, $5.99, 336pp, pb) Reprint (Pocket 1991) erotic horror anthology with 24 stories.
Hottest Blood ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1645-0, Sep 2004, $5.99, 256pp, pb) Reprint (Pocket 1993) erotic horror anthology of 20 stories.
Strange Bedfellows ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett (Kensington 0-7582-0692-5, Nov 2004, $14.00, 323 + x, tp, cover by John Ennis) Original anthology of 19 erotic horror stories, 12th in the Hot Blood series. Authors include Greg Kihn, Michael Laimo, and Graham Masterton.
Overstars Mail: Imperial Challenge Roberta Gellis (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-228-9, Aug 2004, $25.95, 279pp, hc, cover by Charles Bernard) SF adventure novel about a space mailman unwillingly entangled in Empire politics. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Ironhands Daughter David Gemmell (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45838-9, Dec 2004, $7.50, 347pp, pb, cover by Christian McGrath) [Hawk Queen] Fantasy novel, book one of The Hawk Queen. Teenaged Sigarni is the last descendant of the legendary highland kings. First US edition (Legend 1995).
Swords of Night and Day David Gemmell (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45833-8, Apr 2004, $24.95, 450pp, hc, cover by John Picacio) [Drenai: Skilgannon the Damned] Fantasy novel in the Drenai Saga, sequel to White Wolf. Simultaneous with the Bantam UK edition.
The Swords of Night and Day David Gemmell (SFBC #66264, Jun 2004, $12.49, 450pp, hc, cover by John Picacio) [Drenai: Skilgannon the Damned] Reprint (Del Rey 2004) fantasy novel in the Drenai Saga, sequel to White Wolf. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
White Wolf David Gemmell (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45832-X, Mar 2004, $7.50, 462pp, pb, cover by John Picacio) [Drenai: Skilgannon the Damned] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) fantasy novel of Druss the Legend, ninth in the Drenai Saga.
Sleeping Beauty Adèle Geras & Christian Birmingham (Scholastic/Orchard 0-439-58180-X, Apr 2004, $18.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Christian Birmingham) Childrens picture book version of the fairy tale, with text by Geras and illustrations by Birmingham. First US edition (Scholastic UK 2003).
The Best Australian Science Fiction Writing: A Fifty Year Collection ed. Rob Gerrand (Black Inc. 1-86395-301-9, Nov 2004, A$24.95, 615pp, tp, cover by Juan Ford) Anthology of 30 stories chosen as the best of the last 50 years in Australia. Authors include A. Bertram Chandler, George Turner, Greg Egan, and Terry Dowling. Foreword by Gerrand; introduction by Russell Blackford. Black Inc., Level 5, 289 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia; [www.blackincbooks.com].
- · Infant Prodigy [Elizabeth Buckley] · F. B. Bryning · ss Fantastic Universe Nov 55
- · The Cage · A. Bertram Chandler · ss F&SF Jun 57
- · Debt of Lassor · Norma Hemming · ss Nebula #33 58
- · The Doorway · Wynne N. Whiteford · ss New Worlds Sep 60
- · Parky [as by David Rome] · David Boutland · ss Science-Fantasy #48 61
- · All Laced Up [as by George Whitley] · A. Bertram Chandler · ss New Worlds Nov 61
- · The Case of the Perjured Planet [as by Martin Loran] · John Baxter & Ron Smith · nv Analog Nov 67
- · There Is a Crooked Man · Jack Wodhams · na Analog Feb 67
- · The Final Weapon · Damien Broderick · ss The Man Dec 69
- · Dancing Gerontius · Lee Harding · ss Vision of Tomorrow Dec 69
- · The Man of Slow Feeling · Michael Wilding · ss The Second Pacific Book of Science Fiction, ed. John Baxter, Angus & Robertson, 1971
- · Re-deem the Time · David J. Lake · ss Rooms of Paradise, ed. Lee Harding, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia: Quartet Books, 1978
- · In a Petri Dish Upstairs · George Turner · nv Rooms of Paradise, ed. Lee Harding, South Yarra, Victoria, Australia: Quartet Books, 1978
- · The Chance · Peter Carey · nv War Crimes, 1979
- · The Paradigm · Randal Flynn · ss Transmutations, ed. Rob Gerrand, Norstrilia, 1979
- · Inhabiting the Interspaces · Philippa C. Maddern · ss Transmutations, ed. Rob Gerrand, Norstrilia, 1979
- · Odd Man Search · Cherry Wilder · ss Void #12-14 79
- · The Government in Exile · Paul Collins · ss Urban Fantasies, ed. David King & Russell Blackford, Ebony, 1985
- · The Total Devotion Machine · Rosaleen Love · ss The Total Devotion Machine, Womens Press, 1989
- · The Caress · Greg Egan · nv IASFM Jan 90
- · Red Ochre · Lucy Sussex · nv My Lady Tongue & Other Tales, Heinemann Australia, 1990
- · The Soap Bubble · Sean Williams · nv Alien Shores, ed. Peter McNamara & Margaret Winch, Aphelion Publications, 1994
- · Angel Thing · Petrina Smith · nv Shes Fantastical, ed. Lucy Sussex & Judith Raphael Buckrich, Sybylla Feminist Press, 1995
- · The Sword of God · Russell Blackford · nv Dream Weavers, ed. Paul Collins, Penguin Australia, 1996
- · Niagara Falling · Jack Dann & Janeen Webb · nv Black Mist and Other Japanese Futures, ed. Orson Scott Card & Keith Ferrell, DAW, 1997
- · A Walk-On Part in the War · Stephen Dedman · ss Dreaming Down-Under, ed. Jack Dann & Janeen Webb, HarperCollins/Voyager Australis, 1998
- · He Tried to Catch the Light · Terry Dowling · nv Dreaming Down-Under, ed. Jack Dann & Janeen Webb, HarperCollins/Voyager Australis, 1998
- · The Boy Who Didnt Yearn · Margo Lanagan · ss Forever Shores, ed. Peter McNamara & Margaret Winch, Aphelion Publications, 2003
- · The Diamond Pit · Jack Dann · na Jubilee, Voyager Australia, 2001
- · Tower of Wings · Sean McMullen · nv Analog Dec, 2001
Alternate Gerrolds David Gerrold (BenBella Books 1-932100-37-7, Jan 2005, $14.95, 202 + xiii, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of 16 stories. Introduction by Mike Resnick. BenBella Books, 6440 N. Central Expressway, Suite 508, Dallas TX 75206; [www.benbellabooks.com].
- ix · 10 Reasons Why I Hate David Gerrold · Mike Resnick · in (*), 2005
- xi · Skip This Part · pr (*), 2005
- 1 · Bauble · ss More Whatdunits, ed. Mike Resnic & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 7 · The Impeachment of Adlai Stevenson · ss Alternate Presidents, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1992
- 19 · The Kennedy Enterprise · ss Alternate Kennedys, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1992
- 32 · The Firebringers · nv Alternate Warriors, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1993
- 50 · Franz Kafka, Superhero! · ss By Any Other Fame, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 64 · Rex · ss Dinosaur Fantastic, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 79 · ...And Eight Rabid Pigs [Satan Claus] · ss Alternate Outlaws, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1994
- 93 · The Ghost of Christmas Sideways · ss Christmas Ghosts, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 99 · The Wish for Smish · ss Aladdin: Master of the Lamp, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1992
- 107 · What Goes Around · ss Alternate Outlaws, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1994
- 121 · The Fan Who Molded Himself [Sherlock Holmes] · ss Sherlock Holmes in Orbit, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 133 · The Feathered Mastodon · ss Return of the Dinosaurs, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1997
- 142 · The Seminar from Hell · ss Deals with the Devil, ed. Mike Resnick, Martin H. Greenberg & Loren Estelman, DAW, 1994
- 157 · The Spell · ss Witch Fantastic, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 170 · Digging in Gehenna · nv Men Writing Science Fiction as Women, ed. Mike Resnick, DAW, 2003
- 190 · Riding Janis · ss Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian, ed. Janis Ian and Mike Resnick, DAW, 2003
Tales of the Star Wolf David Gerrold (SFBC #63342, Feb 2004, $14.99, 755pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Star Wolf] Omnibus of three novels in the series: The Voyage of the Star Wolf (1990), The Middle of Nowhere (1995), and Blood and Fire (2004). This has ISBN 0-7394-4071-3; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · The Voyage of the Star Wolf · n. Bantam Spectra, 1990
- 245 · The Middle of Nowhere · n. Bantam Spectra, 1995
- 517 · Blood and Fire · n. BenBella Books, 2004
The Flying Sorcerers David Gerrold & Larry Niven (BenBella Books 1-932100-23-7, Apr 2004, $14.95, 303pp, tp, cover by Boris Vallejo) Reprint (Ballantine 1971) humorous fantasy novel.