Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy ed. Al Sarrantonio (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45977-6, Jun 2004, $24.95, 578 + xiii, hc, cover by Steve Stone) Original fantasy anthology of 29 stories, a companion of sorts to Redshift. Authors include Robert Silverberg, Tim Powers, Neil Gaiman, Patricia A. McKillip, and Gene Wolfe.
Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy ed. Al Sarrantonio (SFBC #1166120, Jul 2004, $12.49, 578pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) Reprint (Roc 2004) original fantasy anthology of 29 stories. This is similar to the Roc edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Black Creek Crossing John Saul (Ballantine 0-345-43332-7, Mar 2004, $25.95, 358pp, hc, cover by Phil Heffernan) Horror novel. A family moves into a small-town house with a dark history.
Black Creek Crossing John Saul (SFBC #64424, Jun 2004, $12.99, 358pp, hc, cover by Phil Heffernan) Reprint (Ballantine 2004) horror novel. This is similar to the Ballantine edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Far-Seer Robert J. Sawyer (Tor 0-765-30974-2, May 2004, $14.95, 313pp, tp, cover by Tom Kidd) [Quintaglio Ascension] Reprint (Ace 1992) novel, first in The Quintaglio Ascension trilogy set in a world inhabited by intelligent dinosaurs.
Hybrids Robert J. Sawyer (Tor 0-765-34906-X, Nov 2004, $7.99, 394pp, pb, cover by Donato Giancola) [Neanderthal Parallax] Reprint (Tor 2003) SF novel of parallel worlds, the third book of The Neanderthal Parallax.
Iterations Robert J. Sawyer (Red Deer Press 0-88995-303-1, Mar 2004, $16.95, 301pp, tp) Reprint (Out of this World 2002) collection of 22 stories, including three Aurora Award winners. Introduction by James Alan Gardner. Order from Red Deer Press, 813 MacKimmie Library Tower, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary Alberta Canada T2N 1N4; [www.reddeerpress.com].
Relativity Robert J. Sawyer (ISFiC Press 0-9759156-0-6, Nov 2004, $25.00, 304pp, hc, cover by Jael) Collection of eight stories and 28 non-fiction pieces, with comments on each by Sawyer. Introduction by Mike Resnick. Critical article and crossword puzzle by Valerie Broege. A bibliography of Sawyers work is included. ISFiC Press, 707 Sapling Lane, Deerfield IL 60015; [www.isficpress.com].
- ix · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- · FICTION
- 5 · Just Like Old Times · ss On Spec Sum 93
- 19 · Immortality · ss Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian, ed. Janis Ian and Mike Resnick, DAW, 2003
- 29 · The Stanley Cup Caper · ss The Toronto Star Aug 24, 2003
- 33 · Relativity · ss Men Writing Science Fiction as Women, ed. Mike Resnick, DAW, 2003
- 43 · Star Light, Star Bright · ss Far Frontiers, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & Larry Segriff, DAW, 2000
- 57 · The Hand Youre Dealt · ss Free Space, ed. Brad Linaweaver & Edward E. Kramer, Tor, 1997
- 74 · The Shoulders of Giants · nv Star Colonies, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2000
- 91 · Ineluctable · nv Analog Nov, 2002
- · SPEECHES
- 119 · The 2003 Hugo Awards Ceremony · sp Aug 30, 2003
- 122 · The Future Is Already Here · sp Nov 19 99
- 140 · AI and Sci-Fi: My, Oh, My! · sp May 31, 2002
- 152 · Science Fiction and Social Change · sp Feb, 2004
- · ARTICLES
- 165 · A Tale of Two Stories · ar, 1997
- 169 · Pros and Cons · ar The Ottawa Citizen Nov 14 99
- 171 · Remembering Judith Merril · ar The Globe and Mail Sep 16 97
- 176 · Science and God · ar, 2000
- 180 · Committing Trilogy · ar
- 191 · Privacy: Who Needs It? · ar Macleans Oct 7, 2002
- 197 · The Age of Miracles and Wonders · ar CBC Radio 1 Nov 99
- 200 · Is Risk Our Business? · ar The Globe and Mail Mar 16, 2000
- 204 · The Private Sector in Space · ar The Globe and Mail Jun 29, 2004
- 208 · Science, Salvation, and Atwood · ar Macleans Apr 28, 1003
- 211 · Atwoods Depressing Future · ar The Ottawa Citizen Apr 27, 2003
- · ON WRITING
- 217 · Great Beginnings [Writing Great Beginnings] · ar Altair #1 98
- 220 · Constructing Characters · ar Altair #2 98
- 223 · Point of View · ar
- 227 · Dialogue [Speaking of Dialogue] · ar On Spec Win 96
- 231 · Show, Dont Tell [Show, Not Tell] · ar Altair #4 99
- 235 · Description · ar
- 239 · Secret Weapons of Science · ar Altair #3 99
- 243 · Heinleins Rules · ar Altair #5, 2000
- 247 · Word-Processing Tricks · ar
- 251 · Cover Letters and SASEs [Cover Your ASCII] · ar On Spec Spr 97
- 254 · Self-Promotion · ar On Spec Fll 97
- 259 · Professionalism · ar On Spec Sum 97
- · ABOUT ROB
- 265 · Autobiography · bg
- 289 · Robert J. Sawyers Place in Science Fiction · Valerie Broege · es
- 295 · Valerie Broeges Wonder and Mystery Cryptic Crossword Puzzle · Valerie Broege · pz
- 298 · Robert J. Sawyer Bibliography · Misc. · bi
- 307 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
Old Mans War John Scalzi (Tor 0-765-30940-8, Jan 2005, $23.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) SF novel. John Perry joins the war against aliens on his 75th birthday. This is the authors first novel to appear in book form; an earlier novel appeared online in 1999.
Cleopatra 7.2 Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (Ace 0-441-01206-X, Dec 2004, $23.95, 321pp, hc, cover by Scott Grimando) [Cleopatra] Near-future SF novel, sequel to Channeling Cleopatra, involving the mind-transfer technology introduced in Scarboroughs anthology Past Lives, Present Tense. Two women have the cellular memories of Cleopatra, one unauthorized.
Which Way to the Future? Stanley Schmidt (Tor 0-765-30105-9, Jan 2004, $15.95, 255pp, tp, cover by Rick Fischer) Reprint (Tor 2001) non-fiction collection of 35 essays originally published in Analog.
Eternal Frontier James H. Schmitz (Baen 0-7434-7190-3, Mar 2004, $7.99, 727pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (Baen 2002) collection of 21 stories and the novel The Eternal Frontiers (1973).
The Witches of Karres James H. Schmitz (Baen 0-7434-8837-7, Jul 2004, $16.00, 294pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Witches of Karres] Reprint (Baen 2002) SF/fantasy novel.
True and Almost True Stories Howard Schoenfeld (Gryphon Books 1-58250-072-X, Oct 2004, $16.00, 124pp, tp) Collection of eight SF and fantasy stories (including the classic Built Up Logically), four crime stories, and an autobiographical account of his imprisonment as a conscientious objector during WWII. Introduction by Michael Kurland. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228; add $1.00 postage.
- 4 · Howard Schoenfeld: An Appreciation of an Improbable Man · Michael Kurland · in
- 6 · Introduction · in
- · PART ONE - FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION
- · Erotic Science Fiction
- 11 · Fun and Frolics on Mars · vi Ad Astra #9 80
- · Surreal Science Fiction
- 13 · World of U.S. Jazz · ss *
- 18 · Built Up Logically [The Universal Panacea] · ss Retort Win 49
- 30 · Built Down Logically · vi F&SF Dec 51
- · Political Science Fiction
- 33 · Fillmores Weapon of Mass Destruction [Fillmore Y. Brightforks] · ss Fantastic Universe May 57; restored text.
- 42 · Secret Weapon · vi *
- · Abstract Expressionist Science Fiction
- 44 · Lost Bohemia Gavotte · ss *
- · Romantic Fantasy
- 52 · The Strange Courtship of Ethel Jones · ss *
- · PART TWO - CRIME AND RESPONSIBILITY
- 64 · The Pusher · ss *; revised from The Tea Pusher, EQMM May 1952.
- 74 · Death of an African-American, 1933 Style · vi *
- 77 · All of Gods Children Got Shoes · ss EQMM Aug 53
- 86 · Wholesaling During the Great Depression · ss *
- · A True-Crime Religious and Political Story
- 96 · Statement to the Draft Board · ms Oct 16 40
- 104 · Summation of Brief - United States vs. Schoenfeld, et al · ms Dec 3 40
- 109 · The Danbury Story · ts Prison Etiquette, ed. Holley Cantine & Dachine Rainer, Retort Press, 1950
- 124 · Afterword - Homecoming · aw *
The Amount to Carry Carter Scholz (Picador USA 0-312-42333-0, Feb 2004, $13.00, 208pp, tp) Reprint (Picador USA 2003) Collection of 12 stories.
A Time of Angels Patricia Schonstein (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-06-056242-0, Dec 2004, $24.95, 223pp, hc) Contemporary fantasy novel. A magician tries to woo his errant wife back with magic, but the spell calls an unexpected visitor instead. First US edition (Bantam UK 9/03).
Rock Breaks Scissors Cut David J. Schow (Subterranean Press 1-931081-81-6, Mar 2004, $40.00, 143pp, hc, cover by Caniglia) Horror novel of dream research. This is a signed, limited edition of 750; a lettered edition of 26 ($100.00) is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
The Book of Schuiten François Schuiten & Benoît Peeters (NBM 1-56163-402-6, Aug 2004, $45.00, 136pp, hc, cover by François Schuiten) Art book, featuring the surreal and fantastic art of Schuiten, focusing on works outside the comics field. Text by Benoît Peeters. Preface by Franco Dragone. Includes a chronology and an interview with the artist.
Justice League of America: The Flash: Stop Motion Mark Schultz (Pocket Star 0-7434-1713-5, Mar 2004, $6.99, 325pp, pb, cover by Alex Ross) [Justice League of America] Novelization, the third in a series based on the DC comic books. Copyrighted by DC comics.
Justice League of America: The Flash: Stop Motion Mark Schultz (SFBC #1173737, Oct 2004, $10.99, 325pp, hc, cover by Alex Ross) [Justice League of America: The Flash] Reprint (Pocket Star 2004) novelization, the third in a series based on the DC comic books. Copyrighted by DC comics. This has ISBN 0-7394-4664-9; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Strange Stars & Alien Shadows: The Dark Fiction of Ann K. Schwader Ann K. Schwader (Lindisfarne Press 0-9740297-3-4, Nov 2003, $28.00, 243 + xiii, hc, cover by Steve Lines) Collection of 19 stories, ten original, with a preface by the author. Edited and with an introduction and afterword by Kevin L. OBrien. Introduction (Promethes) by Robert M. Price. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now. A print-on-demand edition available online at [www.clare.ltd.new.net], or from Lindisfarne Press, 3140 South Peoria Street, Suite 157, Aurora CO 80014-3155.
- vii · Preface: Reclaiming the Tradition · pr *
- ix · Introduction · Kevin L. OBrien · in
- xii · Promethes: Pandoras Box · Robert M. Price · in *
- 1 · The Tulu Jar · ss Chronicles of the Cthulhu Codex #17, 2000
- 13 · Balancing · ss Green Echo, ed. Gary Bowen, Obelesk Books, 1995
- 25 · In the Airlock · ss Revelations From Yuggoth #3 89
- 37 · Body of Work · ss *
- 45 · Scrawler · ss Strange Eons Oct 88 (+1)
- 59 · Fade Away · ss Indigenous Fiction #2 99
- 69 · Twenty Mile · ss The Darker Side: Generations of Horror, ed. John Pelan, Roc, 2002
- 87 · Experiencing the Other · ss *
- 105 · Home Visitor · ss Dreams of Decadence Spr 98
- 115 · Old Glass · ss Eldritch Tales #20 89
- 121 · The Gazing-Globe · ss *
- 128 · Mail Order Bride · ss Tales Out of Innsmouth, ed. Robert M. Price, Chaosium, 1999
- 145 · If He Calls · ss *
- 155 · The Matthias Critical Method · ss *
- 175 · Tattered Souls · ss *
- 190 · Meeting Mr. Marmalade · ss *
- 199 · Objects from the Gilman-Waite Collection · ss *
- 209 · The Prince of Perfect · ss *
- 219 · Lost Stars · ss *
- 242 · Epimethes · Kevin L. OBrien · aw *
- 243 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
Speaking of the Fantastic II Darrell Schweitzer (Wildside Press 0-8095-1072-3, Oct 2004, $19.95, 197pp, tp, cover by George Barr) Non-fiction collection of 15 interviews with writers including Peter S. Beagle, Octavia Butler, Evangeline Walton, and Gene Wolfe. This is a print-on-demand edition available from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928; [www.wildsidepress.com]; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
The Centaur in the Garden Moacyr Scliar (University of Wisconsin Press 0-299-18784-5, Mar 2003, $15.95, tp, cover by Pablo Picasso) Reprint (Available Press 1985) novel of a family with a centaur-like son. Translated by Margaret A. Neves from the Portuguese O Centauro no jardin (Editora Nova Frontiera Brazil 1980). Introduction by Ilan Stavans. University of Wisconsin Press, 1930 Monroe Street, Madison WI 53711; [www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress].
Dreaming the Bull Manda Scott (Delacorte 0-385-33671-3, May 2004, $25.00, 345pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) [Boudica] Historical novel with fantasy elements, the second in a trilogy about ancient British warrior queen Boudica. First US edition (Bantam Press UK 2/04).
Dreaming the Eagle Manda Scott (Dell/Delta 0-385-33773-6, Mar 2004, $14.00, 466pp, tp) [Boudica] Reprint (Delacorte 2003) historical novel with fantasy elements, the first in a trilogy about ancient British warrior queen Boudica.
Dreaming the Eagle Manda Scott (Dell/Delta 0-385-33773-6, Oct 2004, $14.00, 466pp, tp) [Boudica] Reissue (Delacorte 2003) historical novel with fantasy elements, the first in a trilogy about Boudica. Second printing.
Death and Thraxas Martin Scott (Baen 0-7434-8850-4, Sep 2004, $7.99, 472pp, pb, cover by Tom Kidd) [Thraxas] Omnibus of two humorous fantasy detective novels, the third and fourth in a series about a portly private eye in a magical city: Thraxas at the Races (1999) and Thraxas and the Elvish Isles (2000), the first US edition (Orbit) for both.
- · Thraxas at the Races · n. Orbit, 1999
- · Thraxas and the Elvish Isles · n. Orbit, 2000
The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold (Little, Brown/Back Bay 0-316-16881-5, Apr 2004, $13.95, 330pp, tp, cover by Daniel Lee) Reprint (Little, Brown 2002) quasi-fantasy novel. A girl watches from heaven while her father tracks her murderer. This includes a separately paginated 13-page reading group guide.
The Book of Dead Days Marcus Sedgwick (Random House/Lamb 0-385-73055-1, Oct 2004, $15.95, 273pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Book of Dead Days] Young-adult fantasy about magic set in the 18th century. The stage magician Valerian needs his servants help to get out of his pact with evil. First US edition (Orion 7/03).
The Book of Dead Days Marcus Sedgwick (SFBC #1167474, Oct 2004, $9.99, 273pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) [Book of Dead Days] Reprint (Orion 2003) young-adult fantasy about magic set in the 18th century. This is similar to the Random House/Wendy Lamb edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Dark Horse Marcus Sedgwick (Random House/Dell Laurel-Leaf 0-440-41908-5, Sep 2004, $5.99, 217pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Reprint (Orion Childrens Books 2002) young-adult prehistoric fantasy about betrayal and ancient magic.
Nightmare Logic Larry Segriff (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-037-5, Mar 2004, $25.95, 254pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Horror novel. A man turns to magic to track down a killer. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Dorian Will Self (Grove 0-8021-4047-5, Feb 2004, $12.00278, 278pp, tp, cover by Charles Rue Woods) [Dorian Gray] Reprint (Viking UK 2002) literary fantasy novel drawing on The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.
As Timeless As Infinity: The Complete Twilight Zone Scripts of Rod Serling: Volume One Rod Serling (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-71-X, Apr 2004, $66.00, 448pp, hc, cover by Harry O. Morris) Associational collection of nine scripts, one with two alternate versions. Edited and with commentary by Tony Albarella. Appreciations by Richard Matheson and Rockne S. OBannon. This is a limited edition of 750, signed by Carol Serling.
- · Message from Carol Serling · Carol Serling · pr
- · Editors Preface · Tony Albarella · pr
- · Appreciation · Richard Matheson · ar
- · Appreciation · Rockne S. OBannon · ar
- · Tributes and Rareties · Misc. · ms
- · The Time Element · pl
- · Where Is Everybody? · pl Twilight Zone Mar/Apr 85; broadcast October 2, 1959.
- · Third from the Sun · pl
- · The Purple Testament · pl Twilight Zone Oct 85; broadcast February 12, 1960.
- · The Big, Tall Wish · pl Twilight Zone Oct 81; broadcast April 8, 1960.
- · The Eye of the Beholder · pl Twilight Zone Jul 81; broadcast November 11, 1960.
- · A Most Unusual Camera · pl
- · A Most Unusual Camera (alternate version) · pl
- · The Mind and the Matter · pl
- · The Dummy · pl
Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-90571-2, Apr 2004, $5.99, 257pp, pb, cover by Jennifer Nelson) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collins 2000 as Cirque Du Freak) young-adult dark fantasy of a freak show full of vampires. Shan is a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: Allies of the Night Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-15570-5, Sep 2004, $15.99, 209pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Darren Shan] Young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, eighth in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy. First US edition (Collins 2002).
Cirque Du Freak: Hunters of the Dusk Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-605596-4, Apr 2004, $15.95, 208pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Darren Shan] Young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, seventh in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy. First US edition (Collins 2002).
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire Prince Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-60274-4, Sep 2004, $6.99, 192pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collin 2002) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, sixth in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: The Vampires Assistant Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-90572-0, Apr 2004, $5.99, 241pp, pb) [Darren Shan] Reissue (Collins 2000) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, second in the series. Shan is a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: Trials of Death Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-00095-7, Jan 2005, $5.99, 202pp, tp, cover by Rick Raymond) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collin 2001) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, fifth in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: Tunnels of Blood Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-90573-9, Sep 2004, $5.99, 224pp, pb, cover by Rick Raymond) [Darren Shan] Reprint (Collins 2000) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, third in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
Cirque Du Freak: Vampire Mountain Darren Shan (Little, Brown 0-316-90574-7, Nov 2004, $5.99, 195pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielson) Reprint (Collins 2001) young-adult dark fantasy of vampires, fourth in the series supposedly written by schoolboy Darren Shan a pen name for Darren OShaughnessy.
The Last Song of Dusk Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi (Arcade Publishing 1-55970-734-8, Oct 2004, $23.95, 298pp, hc) Literary novel with fantasy elements. A beautiful couple in post-colonial India suffer hardships. A first novel. First US edition (Weidenfeld & Nicolson 3/04).
J.K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter Marc Shapiro (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-32586-X, Mar 2004, $5.99, 228 + xi, tp) Reprint (Griffin 2000) young-adult non-fiction, an unauthorized biography of the author. This is Completely Updated and with New Photos, and has a new ISBN. [J. K. Rowling]