Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Asgards Conquerors Brian Stableford (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-209-2, Dec 2004, $25.95, 279pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) [Asgard] Reprint (NEL 1989 as Invaders from the Centre) SF novel, second in the Asgard trilogy after Asgards Secret. This has been completely rewritten. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books and Ed Gorman. Gale/Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Dr., Waterville ME 04901; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
Designer Genes: Tales of the Biotech Revolution Brian Stableford (Gale Group/Five Star 1-59414-033-2, Mar 2004, $25.95, 285pp, hc) SF collection of 11 stories. Stablefords introduction discusses his interest in the positive potential of biotechnology. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
- 9 · Introduction · in
- 15 · What Can Chloë Want? · ss Asimovs Mar 94
- 28 · The Invisible Worm · nv F&SF Sep 91
- 63 · The Age of Innocence · ss Asimovs Jun 95
- 81 · Snowball in Hell · nv Analog Dec, 2000
- 120 · The Last Supper · ss Science Fiction Age Mar, 2000
- 139 · The Facts of Life · nv Asimovs Sep 93
- 179 · Hot Blood · ss Asimovs Sep, 2002
- 199 · The House of Mourning · ss Off-Limits, ed. Ellen Datlow, St. Martins, 1996
- 219 · Another Branch of the Family Tree · nv Asimovs Jul 99
- 244 · The Milk of Human Kindness · ss Analog Mar, 2001
- 257 · The Pipes of Pan · nv F&SF Jun 97
Historical Dictionary of Science Fiction Literature Brian Stableford (Rowman & Littlefield/Scarecrow Press 0-8108-4938-0, Jun 2004, $70.50, 449 + li, hc) Non-fiction, a reference guide to authors, titles, themes, and other aspects of SF. Stablefords lengthy introduction provides an overview of the history of SF; a list of abbreviations and a chronology are also provided. Foreword by series editor Jon Woronoff. This is Historical Dictionaries of Literature and the Arts, No. 1 . Order from Rowman & Littlefield, 4501 Forbes Blvd., Suite 200; Lanham MD 20706; 800-462-6420; [www.scarecrowpress.com].
Salome and Other Decadent Fantasies Brian Stableford (Wildside Press/Cosmos Books 1-58715-408-0, May 2004, $15.00, 183pp, tp, cover by Juha Lindroos) Collection of 11 Decadent stories, with an introduction by Stableford discussing the Decadent style. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online from [www.wildsidepress.com], or from PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 11 · Salome · ss The Dedalus Book of Femmes Fatales, ed. Brian M. Stableford, Dedalus, 1992
- 21 · O for a Fiery Gloom and Thee · ss Sirens and Other Daemon Lovers, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, HarperPrism, 1998
- 31 · The Last Worshipper of Proteus · ss Beyond Fantasy & Science Fiction #2 95
- 44 · The Evil That Men Do · ss Realms of Fantasy Aug 95
- 67 · Ebony Eyes [as by Francis Amery] · vi Horrors! 365 Scary Stories, ed. Stefan R. Dziemianowicz, Robert Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Barnes & Noble, 1998
- 69 · The Fishermans Child · ss Penny Dreadful Apr 98
- 85 · The Storytellers Tale · ss The Anthology of Fantasy & the Supernatural, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, Tiger, 1994
- 93 · The Unluckiest Thief · vi Interzone Jun 92
- 99 · The Light of Achernar [Zothique] · na The Last Continent: New Tales of Zothique, ed. John Pelan, ShadowLands Press, 1999
- 139 · The Mandrake Garden · ss F&SF Jul, 2000
- 153 · Chanterelle · nv Black Heart, Ivory Bones, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Avon, 2000
The Grand Crusade Michael A. Stackpole (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57851-0, Sep 2004, $6.99, 675pp, pb, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) [DragonCrown War Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 2003) fantasy novel, the third and final book in the DragonCrown War Cycle.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide 1: Onslaught Michael A. Stackpole (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-47931-9, Oct 2004, $4.99, 292pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Dark Tide] Reissue (Del Rey LucasBooks 2000) Star Wars novelization, book one of Dark Tide. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm. Second printing.
Star Wars: The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide 2: Ruin Michael A. Stackpole (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-47932-7, Oct 2004, $4.99, 292pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Star Wars: New Jedi Order: Dark Tide] Reissue (Del Rey LucasBooks 2000) Star Wars novelization, book two of Dark Tide. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm. Second printing.
Truesight David Stahler, Jr. (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-052285-2, Feb 2004, $15.99, 168pp, hc, cover by Jonathan Barkat) [Truesight] Young-adult SF novel of a boy who can see in a society of blind people. A first novel.
Truesight David Stahler, Jr. (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-052287-9, Jan 2005, $6.99, 245pp, pb, cover by Jonathan Barkat) [Truesight] Reprint (Eos 2004) young-adult SF novel of a boy in a society of the blind who suddenly starts to see.
Star Maker Olaf Stapledon (Wesleyan University Press 0-8195-6693-4, May 2004, $24.95, 311 + xxxiii, tp) Reprint (Methuen 1937) SF novel. This follows the first edition text, with corrections, plus the glossary first published in 1986. Edited, annotated, and with an introduction by Patrick A. McCarthy. Foreword by Freeman J. Dyson. A hardcover edition (-6692-6, $65.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University Press of New England, Order Dept., 37 Lafayette St., Lebanon NH 03766-1405; 800-421-1561; [www.wesleyan.edu/wespress].
The Oathbound Wizard Christopher Stasheff (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46117-7, Jul 2004, $6.99, 406pp, tp, cover by Don Seegmiller) [Wizard in Rhyme] Reprint (Del Rey 1993) fantasy novel, second in the Wizard in Rhyme series, packaged as part of the Imagine program for young adults.
The Warlock in Spite of Himself Christopher Stasheff (Ace 0-441-87302-2, Jun 2004, $5.99, 378pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Warlock] Reissue (Ace 1969) humorous quasi-SF novel that spawned more than one series.
The Warlocks Last Ride Christopher Stasheff (Ace 0-441-01176-4, Jun 2004, $5.99, 314pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Warlock] Science fantasy novel, the last in the Warlock series. Rod has a breakdown after the death of his wife Gwen.
Coyote Rising Allen Steele (Ace 0-441-01205-1, Dec 2004, $23.95, 385pp, hc, cover by Ron Miller) [Coyote] SF novel, third in the Coyote series. Some Coyote colonists plan a rebellion against the repressive new government from Earth.
The Big Empty J. B. Stephens (Penguin/Razorbill 1-59514-006-9, Oct 2004, $6.99, 204pp, tp) [Big Empty] Near-future post-apocalyptic young-adult SF novel, first in a series. Teens fleeing post-plague martial law travel into the forbidden evacuated area in the American Midwest.
The Big Empty, Book 2: Paradise City J. B. Stephens (Penguin/Razorbill 1-59514-006-9, Oct 2004, $6.99, 204pp, tp) [Big Empty] Near-future post-apocalyptic young-adult SF. Teens fleeing post-plague martial law find a city in the evacuated, now supposedly empty, Midwest.
The Confusion Neal Stephenson (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-06-052386-7, Apr 2004, $27.95, 815pp, hc) [Baroque Cycle] Historical novel with SF/fantasy elements, the second book in the Baroque Cycle after Quicksilver.
Quicksilver Neal Stephenson (HarperCollins/Perennial 0-06-059308-3, Oct 2004, $15.95, 927pp, tp) [Baroque Cycle] Reprint (Morrow 2003) historical novel with SF elements, the first book in The Baroque Cycle, and a sort of prequel to Cryptonomicon. This includes a separately paginated 15-page readers guide.
The System of the World Neal Stephenson (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-06-052387-5, Oct 2004, $27.95, 892pp, hc, cover by Frederick de Wit) [Baroque Cycle] Historical novel with SF elements, third and final in The Baroque Cycle.
We Would Be Heroes Robert N. Stephenson (Magellan Books/Altair Australia 0-9756096-2-9, Dec 2004, A$25.00, 305pp, tp, cover by k.s. alonen) Collection of 18 stories, seven original. Foreword by Tony Shillitoe. Order from Magellan Books, PO Box 475, Blackwood SA 5051, Australia; [www.altair-australia.com].
- 10 · Introduction · in
- 11 · Foreword · Tony Stillitoe · fw
- 13 · Agreeing to Live · ss Syntax Literary Magazine #2, 2002
- 23 · Escaping Light · ss Antipodeans Website Nov 98
- 27 · Wholl Stop the Rain · ss TransVersions (online), 1998
- 35 · We Would Be Heroes · ss Tessellations, ed. Jason R. Bleckly & Kain Massin, Altair Publishing, 2000
- 49 · Can I Keep Her? · nv *
- 77 · Breaking the Ice · ss Altair #4 99
- 94 · The Little Ones · ss Interzone Aug 99
- 112 · The White Room · nv *
- 141 · Desires of the Hunted · ss WildFire Magazine #3, 2000
- 150 · Past Editions · ss *
- 170 · The Touch of Silk · ss Aurealis #29, 2002
- 195 · Stone Gift · ss Tessellations, ed. Jason R. Bleckly & Kain Massin, Altair Publishing, 2000
- 207 · Moon Born · ss Orb Speculative Fiction #1, 2000
- 225 · Only on Wednesdays · ss *
- 232 · In Answers Come... · ss *
- 242 · Strange Encounter · ss Harbringer #4 99
- 251 · The Dance of Dreaming · nv *
- 283 · The Dalia Child · nv *
The Zenith Angle Bruce Sterling (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46061-8, May 2004, $24.95, 306pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) Contemporary SF thriller. A computer wizard joins the government war on cyberterrorism and uncovers a deadly secret.
The Punisher D. A. Stern (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-47556-9, Feb 2004, $6.99, 310pp, pb) Novelization of the movie based on the comic-book character. Copyrighted by Artisan Entertainment.
Star Trek: Enterprise: Daedaluss Children Dave Stern (Pocket 0-7434-7646-8, May 2004, $6.99, 370pp, pb) [Star Trek: Enterprise: Daedalus] Star Trek novelization, second of two parts after Daedalus. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Nightmare and Other Tales of Dark Fantasy Francis Stevens (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-9298-8, Oct 2004, $19.95, 404 + xxv, tp, cover by R. W. Boeche) Collection of eight dark fantasy stories from 1917-1923 magazines, edited and with an introduction by Gary Hoppenstand. Illustrated by Thomas L. Floyd. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 North 8th Street, Lincoln NE 68588-0255; orders 800-755-1105; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu].
- · The Nightmare · na All-Story Weekly Apr 14 17
- · The Labyrinth · nv All-Story Weekly Jul 27 18 (+2)
- · Friend Island · ss All-Story Weekly Sep 7 18
- · Behind the Curtain · ss All-Story Weekly Sep 21 18
- · UnseenUnfeared · ss Peoples Favorite Magazine Feb 10 19
- · The Elf-Trap · ss The Argosy Jul 5 19
- · Serapion · na Argosy Jun 19 20 (+3)
- · Sunfire · na Weird Tales Jul 23 (+1)
Trash Sex Magic Jennifer Stevenson (Small Beer Press 1-931520-06-2, Jun 2004, $26.00, 294pp, tp) Contemporary fantasy novel. A first novel. Stevenson also writes as Jen Dornfeld.
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Robert Louis Stevenson (Bookspan/SpellBinders/SFBC #1172745, Nov 2004, $10.99, 173pp, hc) Reprint (Munro 1886) classic horror novel. An 80-page SparkNotes Readers Companion (copyrighted 2002) is included. This is a SpellBinders edition available through the SFBC; it has ISBN 1-58288-138-3, lacks a price, and has the book club number on the back jacket.
Graphic Classics, Volume Nine: Robert Louis Stevenson Robert Louis Stevenson (Eureka Productions 0-9746648-0-4, Jun 2004, $9.95, 144pp, tp, cover by Michael Slack) Illustrated anthology/graphic novel with 21 illustrated or comic-style adaptations of works by Stevenson, including The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde adapted by Tom Pomplun, illustrated by Simon Gane & Michael Slack; and The Bottle Imp adapted and illustrated by Lance Tooks. Eureka Productions, 8778 Oak Grove Road, Mount Horeb WI 53572; [www.graphicclassics.com].
- 2 · To the Hesitating Reader (from Treasure Island) · pm; illus. Anton Emdin
- 4 · The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde · Robert Louis Stevenson & Tom Pomplun, adapt. · gs *; illus. Simon Gane & Michael Slack
- 35 · Verses and Fables: A Collection of Short Pieces by Robert Louis Stevenson
- _ 36 · The Sinking Ship · Robert Louis Stevenson & Hunt Emerson, adapt. · gs *; illus. Hunt Emerson
- _ 39 · Spring Song · pm; illus. Anne Timmons
- _ 40 · Love, What Is Love? · pm; illus. Frank Stack
- _ 41 · The Distinguished Stranger · Robert Louis Stevenson & Rico Schacherl, adapt. · gs *; illus. Rico Schacherl
- _ 44 · The Land of Nod · pm; illus. Lisa K. Weber
- _ 45 · Now Bare to the Beholders Eye · pm; illus. Michael Manning
- _ 48 · The Man and His Friend · Robert Louis Stevenson & Tom Neely, adapt. · gs *; illus. Tom Neely
- _ 50 · The Two Matches · Robert Louis Stevenson & Peter Gullerud, adapt. · gs *; illus. Peter Gullerud
- _ 52 · Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum (from Treasure Island) · sg; illus. Anton Emdin
- _ 54 · The Yellow Paint · Robert Louis Stevenson & Shary Flenniken, adapt. · gs *; illus. Shary Flenniken
- _ 58 · The Angler · pm; illus. Neale Blanden
- _ 59 · The Whole Duty of Children · Robert Louis Stevenson & John Ryan, adapt. · gs *; illus. John Ryan
- _ 60 · The Sick Man and the Fireman · Robert Louis Stevenson & Roger Langridge, adapt. · gs *; illus. Roger Langridge
- 62 · Robert Louis Stevenson: A Brief Literary Life · Mort Castle · ar * [Robert Louis Stevenson]; illus. Chad Carpenter
- 67 · The Suicide Club · Robert Louis Stevenson & Tom Pomplun, adapt. · gs *; illus. Pedro Lopez
- 96 · The Crumb Brothers on Treasure Island · Maxon Crumb · ar *; illus. Maxon Crumb
- 100 · Treasure Island Days · Robert Crumb · gs Lemme Outa Here!, 1978; illus. Robert Crumb
- 102 · The Nixie · Fannie Van de Grift Stevenson · ss Scribners, 1888; illus. Socar Myles
- 113 · The Bottle Imp · Robert Louis Stevenson & Lance Tooks, adapt. · gs *; illus. Lance Tooks
- 140 · About the Artists & Writers · Misc. · bg
A Scholar of Magics Caroline Stevermer (Tor 0-765-30308-6, Apr 2004, $19.95, 300pp, hc, cover by David Bowers) [Jane Brailsford] Fantasy novel, sequel to College of Magics. An American sharpshooter working on a secret project at prestigious Glasscastle University gets involved with Jane Brailsfords mission to find a missing Warden of magic.
Scholarly Magics Caroline Stevermer (SFBC #64778, May 2004, $12.99, 566pp, hc, cover by Tom Canty) [Jane Brailsford] Omnibus of two volumes set in a magical alternate early 20th century: A College of Magics (1994) and A Scholar of Magics (2004). This has ISBN 0-7394-4317-8; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · A College of Magics · n. New York: Tor, 1994
- 299 · A Scholar of Magics · n. New York: Tor, 2004
Heaven Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen (Warner Aspect 0-446-52983-4, May 2004, $24.95, 343pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) SF novel. A mission from the galactic religion Cosmic Unity targets an ocean planet for forced conversion.
Heaven Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen (SFBC #65605, May 2004, $12.49, 343pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) Reprint (Warner Aspect 2004) SF novel. This is similar to the Warner Aspect edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Merlin Trilogy Mary Stewart (HarperCollins/Eos 0-688-00347-8, Sep 2004, $29.95, 917pp, hc, cover by Steven Stone) [Merlin] Reprint (Morrow 1980 as Mary Stewarts Merlin Trilogy) omnibus of three Arthurian novels: The Crystal Cave (1970), The Hollow Hills (1973), and The Last Enchantment (1979). There is a fourth book in the series not included.
Beyond the Deepwoods Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell (Random House/Fickling 0-385-75068-4, Jul 2004, $12.95, 278pp, hc, cover by Chris Riddell) [Edge Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel, the first in the Edge Chronicles. Twig sets out to find out who his real parents are. First US edition (Doubleday UK 1998).
Midnight Over Sanctaphrax Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell (Random House/Fickling 0-385-75072-2, Sep 2004, $12.95, 362pp, hc, cover by Chris Riddell) [Edge Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Edge Chronicles. First US edition (Doubleday UK 2000).
Stormchaser Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell (Random House/Fickling 0-385-75070-6, Jul 2004, $12.95, 386pp, hc, cover by Chris Riddell) [Edge Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Edge Chronicles. First US edition (Doubleday UK 1999).
Perfect Circle Sean Stewart (Small Beer Press 1-931520-07-0, Jun 2004, $24.00, 243pp, hc, cover by Greg Spalenka) Fantasy ghost novel. Will Kennedys life is complicated by ghosts, a family reunion, and family ghosts. Order from Small Beer Press, 176 Prospect Ave., Northampton MA 01060; [www.smallbeerpress.com]; [email@example.com].
Perfect Circle Sean Stewart (Small Beer Press 1-931520-11-9, Jul 2004, $15.00, 243pp, tp) Reprint (Small Beer Press 2004) fantasy ghost novel. This was supposedly simultaneous with the hardcover, but not seen until now.
Star Wars: Yoda: Dark Rendezvous Sean Stewart (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-46309-9, Dec 2004, $7.50, 329pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars] Star Wars novelization. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
The Boyfriend R. L. Stine (Scholastic/Point 0-590-43279-6, Sep 2004, $5.99, 165pp, pb, cover by Rudy Muller) Reprint (Scholastic 1990) young-adult horror novel. Dead boyfriend comes back.
Dangerous Girls R. L. Stine (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-053082-0, Aug 2004, $5.99, 292pp, pb) [Dangerous Girls] Reprint (HarperCollins 2003) young-adult horror novel about twins who seem to be turning into vampires. Packaged and copyrighted by Parachute Publishing.
Dangerous Girls 2: The Taste of Night R. L. Stine (HarperCollins 0-06-059616-3, Aug 2004, $14.99, 230pp, hc) [Dangerous Girls] Young-adult horror novel, second in the series about twins, one of whom has decided to become a vampire. Packaged and copyrighted by Parachute Publishing.
Eye Candy R. L. Stine (Ballantine 0-345-46693-4, Oct 2004, $6.99, 311pp, pb) Associational non-supernatural horror novel.
The Girlfriend R. L. Stine (Scholastic/Point 0-590-44333-X, Sep 2004, $5.99, 165pp, pb, cover by Rudy Muller) Reprint (Scholastic 1991) young-adult horror novel.
Hit and Run R. L. Stine (Scholastic/Point 0-590-45385-8, Sep 2004, $5.99, 164pp, pb, cover by Rudy Muller) Reprint (Scholastic 1992) young-adult horror novel.
The Sitter R. L. Stine (Ballantine 0-345-47654-9, Oct 2004, $6.99, 286pp, pb) Reprint (Ballantine 2003) horror novel.
Beware! R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories ed. R. L. Stine (HarperCollins 0-06-055547-5, Aug 2004, $5.99, 214pp, tp, cover by Mike Fredrickson) Reprint (HarperCollins 2002) young-adult anthology.
Conquistador S. M. Stirling (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45933-4, Mar 2004, $7.99, 596pp, pb, cover by Jonathan Barkat) Reprint (Roc 2003) SF novel. A man creates a portal to an alternate America where the Europeans never arrived.
Dies the Fire S. M. Stirling (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45979-2, Aug 2004, $23.95, 483pp, hc, cover by Jonathan Barkat) [Dies the Fire] SF novel, the first in a trilogy set in the world that the island of Nantucket left behind in the Island in the Sea of Time trilogy. All electronic devices suddenly stop working.
Dies the Fire S. M. Stirling (SFBC #1168434, Sep 2004, $11.99, 501pp, hc, cover by Jonathan Barkat) [Dies the Fire] Reprint (Roc 2004) SF novel, the first in a trilogy set in the world that the island of Nantucket left behind in Island in the Sea of Time.
T2: The Future War S. M. Stirling (HarperEntertainment 0-380-80818-8, Jun 2004, $7.99, 375pp, pb, cover by Susan Sanguily) [Terminator] Reprint (HarperEntertainment 2003) novelization based on the world of the movie Terminator 2. Copyrighted by StudioCanal Image S.A.
The Bee-Man of Orn Frank R. Stockton & P. J. Lynch (Candlewick Press 0-7636-2239-7, Feb 2004, $17.99, unpaginated, hc, cover by P. J. Lynch) Reprint (Scribner 1887 as part of The Bee-man of Orn and Other Fanciful Tales) fantasy story with new illustrations by P.J. Lynch. This comes with a DVD Making Fairy Tales showing artist Lynch at work. This is copyrighted 2003, but not seen until now.
Dracula Bram Stoker (Barnes & Noble 0-7607-5819-0, 2004, $12.95, 427 + xxxvi, hc, cover by Edward Gorey) [Dracula] Reissue (Constable 1897) classic vampire novel. The text follows the Oxford World Classics edition, plus the missing chapter Draculas Guest. Introduction, biography, select bibliography, and appendices by Marvin Kaye. Illustrated by Edward Gorey.