Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dracula Bram Stoker (Borders Classics 1-58726-045-X, 2004, $9.95, 370pp, hc, cover by Philip Burne-Jones) [Dracula] Reprint (Constable 1897) classic vampire novel. An instant remainder edition.
Dracula Bram Stoker (Bantam Classics 0-553-21271-0, Mar 2004, $4.95, 416pp, pb, cover by Mark English) [Dracula] Reissue (Constable 1897) classic horror novel. Introduction by George Stade. 31st printing.
Blue Is for Nightmares Laurie Faria Stolarz (Llewellyn Publications 0-7387-0391-5, Nov 2003, $8.95, 284pp, tp) [Blue Is for Nightmares] Young-adult dark fantasy novel. A Wiccan teen turns to folk magic when her dreams of murder become real. This is dated 2003 but not seen until now. Available from Llewellyn Publications, PO Box 64383, St. Paul MN 55164-0383; 800-THE-MOON; [www.lllewellyn.com].
World of Darkness: A Hunger Like Fire Greg Stolze (White Wolf 1-58846-862-3, Dec 2004, $6.99, 283pp, pb, cover by Jason Alexander) [World of Darkness: Vampire: The Requiem] Novelization based on the Vampire: The Requiem roleplaying game. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
The Illmore Chronicles: The Ratastrophe Catastrophe David Lee Stone (Hyperion 0-7868-5128-7, Oct 2004, $16.99, 273pp, hc, cover by Bob Lea) [Illmore Chronicles] Young-adult humorous dark fantasy loosely inspired by The Pied Piper, first in the Illmore Chronicles trilogy. First US edition (Hodder 1/04).
Star Wars: Shatterpoint Matthew Stover (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-45574-6, May 2004, $7.50, 419pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) Star Wars novelization. This has a new prolog by George Lucas, and adds a story by Stover. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Othersyde J. Michael Straczynski (ibooks 0-7434-8720-6, Sep 2004, $11.95, 294pp, tp, cover by Brandon Diaz) Reprint (Dutton 1990) horror novel.
Straczynski Unplugged J. Michael Straczynski (ibooks 0-7434-7956-4, May 2004, $11.95, 214pp, tp, cover by Cameron Redwine) Collection of 11 stories, one original, with an introduction by the author. Seven stories were previously collected as part of Tales from the New Twilight Zone (Bantam 1989).
- vii · Introduction · in
- 1 · Say Hello, Mister Quigley · nv Pulphouse Sep/Oct 92
- 20 · Dream Me a Life · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 38 · Rendezvous in a Dark Place · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 54 · The Call · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 70 · The Salvation of Lyman Terrell · nv *
- 94 · Acts of Terror · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 112 · Special Service · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 130 · Cold Type · ss, 1999
- 148 · The Wall · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 173 · The Mind of Simon Foster · sa Tales from the New Twilight Zone, Bantam, 1989
- 191 · We Killed Them in the Ratings · nv Blowout in Little Man Flats, ed. Billie Sue Mosiman & Martin H. Greenberg, Nashville, TN: Rutledge Hill Press, 1998
Tribulations J. Michael Straczynski (ibooks 0-7434-9785-6, Dec 2004, $6.99, 362pp, pb) Reprint (DarkTales 2000) supernatural serial-killer mystery/horror novel.
Best Short Novels: 2004 ed. Jonathan Strahan (SFBC #1161172, May 2004, $11.99, 572pp, hc, cover by Les Edwards) Years Best anthology with nine novellas published in 2003. Authors include Kage Baker, Terry Bisson, Lucius Shepard, and Connie Willis. This has ISBN 1-58288-086-7; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- xi · Introduction · Jonathan Strahan · in
- 1 · The Empress of Mars · Kage Baker · na Asimovs Jul, 2003
- 75 · The Green Leopard Plague [Dr. Davout] · Walter Jon Williams · na Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2003
- 145 · In Springdale Town · Robert Freeman Wexler · na PS Publishing, 2003
- 203 · The Swastika Bomb · John Meaney · na Live Without a Net, ed. Lou Anders, Roc, 2003
- 261 · Jailwise · Lucius Shepard · na Sci Fiction website Jun 4, 2003
- 331 · Just Like the Ones We Used to Know · Connie Willis · na Asimovs Dec, 2003
- 385 · Greetings · Terry Bisson · na Sci Fiction website Sep 3, 2003
- 457 · Awake in the Night · John C. Wright · na William Hope Hodgsons Night Lands, Volume I: Eternal Love, ed. Andy W. Robertson, Betancourt & Company, 2003
- 509 · Off on a Starship · William Barton · na Asimovs Sep, 2003
The Locus Awards ed. Jonathan Strahan & Charles N. Brown (HarperCollins/Voyager Australia 0-7322-7872-4, Jul 2004, A$32.95, 561 + xiii, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) Anthology of 18 Locus Award-winning stories. Authors include Greg Egan, George R.R. Martin, Octavia E. Butler, and Lucius Shepard. Simultaneous with the US (Eos as by Brown & Strahan) edition.
The Hellfire Club Peter Straub (Ballantine 0-345-47727-8, Oct 2004, $4.99, 526pp, pb) Reissue (Random House 1996) associational serial-killer psychological horror novel. This is a special price edition.
Houses Without Doors Peter Straub (Penguin/Signet 0-451-17082-2, Sep 2004, $7.99, 454pp, pb) Reissue (Grafton 1990) collection. Fifth printing.
In the Night Room Peter Straub (Random House 1-4000-6252-7, Oct 2004, $21.95, 330pp, hc) [Tim Underhill; Tom Pasmore] Horror novel, sequel to Black House. Tim Underhill encounters ghosts and a character from his latest work in progress.
In the Night Room Peter Straub (SFBC #1176781, Jan 2005, $13.99, 330pp, hc) [Tim Underhill; Tom Pasmore] Reprint (Random House 2004) horror novel, sequel to lost boy lost girl. This is similar to the Random House edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Koko Peter Straub (Penguin/Signet 0-451-16214-5, Sep 2004, $7.99, 595pp, pb) [Blue Rose; Tim Underhill] Reissue (Dutton 1988) associational novel, winner of the World Fantasy Award. 17th printing.
lost boy lost girl Peter Straub (Ballantine 0-449-14991-9, Oct 2004, $7.99, 336pp, pb) [Tim Underhill; Tom Pasmore] Reprint (Random House 2003) ghost story featuring novelist Timothy Underhill from Koko and The Throat and PI Tom Pasmore from Mystery and The Throat. An international edition (same information) was scheduled for June but not seen.
Mystery Peter Straub (Penguin/Signet 0-451-16869-0, Sep 2004, $7.99, 545pp, pb) [Blue Rose; Tom Pasmore] Reissue (Dutton 1989) thriller with minor supernatural elements. 14th printing.
The Throat Peter Straub (Penguin/Signet 0-451-17918-8, Sep 2004, $7.99, 697pp, pb) [Tim Underhill] Reissue (Dutton 1993) associational thriller. Seventh printing.
The Burning Land Victoria Strauss (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-97891-1, Feb 2004, $24.95, 481pp, hc, cover by Mark Harrison) [Burning Land] Fantasy novel. Religious rulers seek to retrieve renegade mages from their desert Refuge.
The Burning Land Victoria Strauss (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-81772-1, Dec 2004, $7.99, 545pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Burning Land] Reprint (Eos 2004) fantasy novel.
The Specter from the Magicians Museum Brad Strickland (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-240264-8, Aug 2004, $5.99, 149pp, tp, cover by Brett Helquist) [Lewis Barnavelt] Reissue (Dial 1998) young-adult fantasy/mystery, seventh in the Lewis Barnavelt series created by John Bellairs. Copyrighted by the estate of John Bellairs.
Mars Year One: Missing! Brad Strickland & Thomas E. Fuller (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-86401-9, Sep 2004, $4.99, 171pp, hc, cover by Michael Koelsch) [Mars Year One] Young-adult SF novel, second in a trilogy about teens on Mars in 2085.
Mars Year One: Marooned! Brad Strickland & Thomas E. Fuller (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-86400-0, Jun 2004, $4.99, 182pp, hc, cover by Michael Koelsch) [Mars Year One] Young-adult SF novel, the first in a trilogy about specially selected teens at an experimental Mars colony in 2089.
The Day After Tomorrow Whitley Strieber (Pocket Star 0-7434-8906-3, May 2004, $6.99, 262pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film. Simultaneous with the UK (Gollancz) edition.
The Atrocity Archives Charles Stross (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-25-8, May 2004, $24.95, 273pp, hc, cover by Steve Montiglio) [Bob Howard] Lovecraftian dark fantasy novel. Nazi experimenters open a gate to another dimension and release an ancient evil. This includes a related original novella, The Concrete Jungle. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 E. Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [email@example.com].
The Family Trade Charles Stross (Tor 0-765-30929-7, Dec 2004, $24.95, 303pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Merchant Princes] SF novel, first in the Merchant Princes series. A reporter is transported to a parallel Earth where her true family is in charge.
Iron Sunrise Charles Stross (Ace 0-441-01159-4, Jul 2004, $23.95, 355pp, hc, cover by Danilo Ducak) [Singularity Sky] SF novel, second in the sequence begun in Singularity Sky.
Singularity Sky Charles Stross (Ace 0-441-01179-9, Jul 2004, $7.99, 337pp, pb, cover by Danilo Ducak) [Singularity Sky] Reprint (Ace 2003) SF novel.
Timelike Diplomacy Charles Stross (SFBC #1167142, Aug 2004, $12.99, 680pp, hc, cover by Stephan Martiniere) [Singularity Sky] Omnibus of two SF novels: Singularity Sky (2003) and Iron Sunrise (2004). This has ISBN 0-7394-4564-2; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Singularity Sky · n. New York: Ace, 2003
- 311 · Iron Sunrise · n. New York: Ace, 2004
The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book One: The Amulet of Samarkand Jonathan Stroud (Hyperion/Miramax 0-78685255-0, 2004, $7.99, 462pp, tp, cover by Melvyn Grant) [Bartimaeus Trilogy] Reprint (Miramax 2003) young-adult contemporary fantasy novel, the first in a trilogy about the djinn Bartimaeus. This is similar to the Miramax edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book Two: The Golems Eye Jonathan Stroud (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1860-3, Sep 2004, $17.95, 562pp, hc, cover by Melvyn Grant) [Bartimaeus Trilogy] Young-adult contemporary fantasy novel, the second in The Bartimaeus Trilogy about a young magician and the djinn Bartimaeus.
The Bartimaeus Trilogy, Book Two: The Golems Eye Jonathan Stroud (SFBC #1171420, Oct 2004, $10.99, 562pp, hc, cover by Melvyn Grant) [Bartimaeus Trilogy] Reprint (Miramax 2004) young-adult contemporary fantasy novel, the second in The Bartimaeus Trilogy about a young magician and his djinn Bartimaeus. This is similar to the Miramax edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Buried Fire Jonathan Stroud (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5194-5, Oct 2004, $6.95, 332pp, tp, cover by Greg Call) Young-adult fantasy thriller. Young people suddenly develop frightening magic powers. First US edition (The Bodley Head 1999).
The Leap Jonathan Stroud (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5195-3, Oct 2004, $6.95, 233pp, tp, cover by Alex Ferrari) Young-adult dark fantasy thriller. No one will believe Charlie when she tells them what happened to her best friend, Max. First US edition (Red Fox 2001).
DragonLance: The New Adventures, Volume 2: The Dying Kingdom Stephen D. Sullivan (Wizards of the Coast/Mirrorstone 0-7869-3324-0, Jul 2004, $5.99, 237pp, tp, cover by Vinod Rams) [DragonLance: New Adventures] Young-adult novelization based on the roleplaying games. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Dust of Eden Thomas Sullivan (Penguin/Onyx 0-451-41138-2, May 2004, $6.99, 355pp, pb) Supernatural suspense novel. The last deposit of the actual Dust of Eden falls into the hands of the manager of a rest home.
All Things Alice ed. Linda Sunshine (Random House/Clarkson Potter 1-4000-5441-9, Oct 2004, $29.95, 352pp, hc) [Alice] Art book, extensively illustrated with images from memorabilia of Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland: books, toys, greeting cards, movie stills, etc. The text is mostly a mix of quotes and short excerpts from the books, with excerpts from Carrolls correspondence and a story not published since 1900; it also includes interesting facts and writings by others about the books.
Dark Water Koji Suzuki (Vertical 1-932234-10-1, Oct 2004, $21.95, 279pp, hc) Collection of seven stories with a framing Prologue and Epilogue. Originally published in Japanese as Honogurai mizu no soko kara (Kadokawa Shoten 1996).
Ring Koji Suzuki (Vertical 1-932234-41-1, Apr 2004, $13.95, 282pp, tp) [Ring] Reprint (Vertical 2003) horror novel. Translated by Robert B. Rohmer & Glynne Walley from the Japanese Ringu (Kadokawa Shoten 1991).
Spiral Koji Suzuki (Vertical 1-932234-06-3, May 2004, $24.95, 281pp, hc) [Ring] Horror novel, second in a trilogy after Ring. The ring virus is mutating. Translated by Robert B. Rohmer & Glynne Walley from the Japanese Rasen (Kadokawa Shoten 1995).
Judge Dredd: Eclipse James Swallow (BL Publishing/Black Flame US 1-84416-122-6, Sep 2004, $6.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Colin Wilson) [Judge Dredd] Novelization based on the comic book character, Copyrighted by Rebellion A/S. Simultaneous with the UK (Black Flame) edition.
Warhammer 40,000: Blood Angels: Deus Encarmine James Swallow (BL Publishing/Black Library US 1-84416-154-4, Dec 2004, $6.99, 251pp, pb, cover by Phillip Sibbering) [Warhammer 40,000: Blood Angels] Novelization based on the world of the roleplaying game, the first in the Blood Angels series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
Broken Crescent S. Andrew Swann (DAW 0-7564-0214-X, May 2004, $6.99, 377pp, pb, cover by Chris McGrath) Fantasy novel. A former hacker finds himself in a land of magic.
The Hostile Takeover Trilogy S. Andrew Swann (DAW 0-7564-0249-2, Nov 2004, $7.99, 966pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) [Hostile Takeover] Omnibus of three novels in the series: Profiteer (1995), Partisan (1995), and Revolutionary (1996).
- 1 · Profiteer · n. New York: DAW, 1995
- 297 · Partisan · n. New York: DAW, 1995
- 635 · Revolutionary · n. New York: DAW, 1996
Fritz Leiber and H.P. Lovecraft: Writers of the Dark Ben J. S. Szumskyj & S. T. Joshi (Wildside Press 0-8095-0078-7, Feb 2004, $19.95, 323pp, tp) Non-fiction collection of materials related to Lovecrafts influence on Leiber, including letters from Lovecraft to Leiber, eight Lovecraftian stories and one poem by Leiber, and 10 essays by Leiber on Lovecraft. There is an introduction by Ben J.S. Szumskyj and an afterword by S.T. Joshi. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com] or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301. [Fritz Leiber; H. P. Lovecraft]
- 7 · Introduction · Ben J. S. Szumskyj · in
- 11 · H.P. Lovecraft: Letters to Fritz and Jonquil Leiber · H. P. Lovecraft · lt
- 65 · STORIES AND POEMS BY FRITZ LEIBER
- 67 · Adepts Gambit [Fafhrd & Gray Mouser] · Fritz Leiber · na Nights Black Agents, Arkham, 1947
- 127 · The Demons of the Upper Air · Fritz Leiber · pm Leaves #2 38
- 133 · The Sunken Land [Fafhrd & Gray Mouser] · Fritz Leiber · ss Unknown Feb 42
- 146 · Diary in the Snow · Fritz Leiber · nv Nights Black Agents, Arkham, 1947
- 165 · The Dreams of Albert Moreland · Fritz Leiber · nv The Acolyte Spr 45
- 178 · The Dead Man · Fritz Leiber · nv Weird Tales Nov 50
- 199 · A Bit of the Dark World · Fritz Leiber · nv Fantastic Feb 62
- 225 · To Arkham and the Stars · Fritz Leiber · ss The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces, Sauk City: Arkham House, 1966
- 233 · The Terror from the Depths · Fritz Leiber · na The Disciples of Cthulhu, ed. Edward P. Berglund, DAW, 1976
- 271 · ESSAYS BY FRITZ LEIBER
- 273 · The Works of H.P. Lovecraft: Suggestions for a Critical Appraisal · Fritz Leiber · ar The Acolyte Fll 44
- 277 · Some Random Thoughts About Lovecrafts Writings · Fritz Leiber · ar The Acolyte Win 45
- 280 · Leiber on Onderdonk · Fritz Leiber · ar Fantasy Commentator Sum 45
- 282 · A Literary Copernicus · Fritz Leiber · bg Something About Cats, Arkham House, 1949
- 292 · My Correspondence with Lovecraft · Fritz Leiber · ar Fresco Spr 58
- 295 · Lovecraft: A Symposium · Fritz Leiber, Leland Sapiro & Arthur Jean Cox · sy H.P. Lovecraft: A Symposium, Fritz Leiber, Arthur Jean Cox, Robert Bloch, Leland Sapiro & Sam Russell, Riverside Quarterly/Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society, 1963; excerpts from a panel discussion.
- 300 · The Whisperer Re-Examined · Fritz Leiber · ar Haunted Dec 64
- 303 · Through Hyperspace with Brown Jenkin · Fritz Leiber · ar The Dark Brotherhood and Other Pieces, Sauk City: Arkham House, 1966; revised from Shangri-LAffaires, September 1963.
- 313 · The Cthulhu Mythos: Wondrous and Terrible · Fritz Leiber · ar Fantastic Jun 75
- 318 · Lovecraft in My Life · Fritz Leiber · ar Journal of the H.P. Lovecraft Society, 1976
- 322 · Afterword · S. T. Joshi · aw
Sayonara, Gansters Genichiro Takahashi (Vertical 1-932234-05-5, Apr 2004, $19.95, 311pp, hc) Satirical near-future SF/postmodern/surreal fantasy novel narrated by a poetry teacher involved with a terrorist group thats assassinating US presidents one after another. This is the first English-language edition, translated by Michael Emmerich from the Japanese Sayounara Gyangu-tachi (Kodansha 1982).
Erotic Fantastic ed. Cecilia Tan (Circlet Press 1-885865-44-9, Sep 2003, $19.95, 344pp, tp, cover by Janet Bruesselbach) Anthology of 23 erotic SF and fantasy stories, a selection of the best previously published by Circlet in its first decade, 1992-2002. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now.
- 5 · Introduction · Cecilia Tan · in
- 7 · Milagro · Francesca Lia Block · ss Nymph, Circlet Press, 2000
- 13 · Wilderland · Reina Delacroix · nv The Beast Within, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1994
- 35 · State · M. Christian · ss Selling Venus, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 45 · The Brides Story · Lynda J. Williams · ss S/M Pasts, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 57 · Cyberfruit Swamp · Raven Kaldera · ss Genderflex, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1996
- 69 · Like a Reflection in a Mirror Without Glass · Renee M. Charles · ss Selling Venus, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 85 · Temporary Insanity · Thomas S. Roche · ss Black Sheets #4 94
- 93 · Shayna Maidel · Laura Antoniou · nv Ritual Sex, ed. David Aaron Clark & Tristan Taormino, Rhinoceros Books, 1996
- 115 · For the Mortals Among Us · Robert Knippenberg · nv Mind & Body, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 2002
- 137 · Someday My Prince Will Come · Evan Hollander · ss Of Princes and Beauties, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 147 · Gone to the Spider Woman · Beverly Heinze · ss Worlds of Women, ed. Cecilia Tam, Circlet Press, 1994
- 161 · Anthem · Lee Crittenden · ss Sexcrime, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 2000
- 167 · Pipe Dreams [as by S. N. Lewitt] · Shariann Lewitt · ss SexMagick, ed. Cecilia M. Tan, Boston, MA: Circlet Press, 1993; revised from All Hallows Eve, ed. Mary Elizabeth Allen, Walker 1992.
- 181 · The Jail of His Mind and the Songs Within · Eric Del Carlo · ss Wired Hard 2, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1997
- 195 · Day Journey, with Stories · Jason Rubis · ss Fetish Fantastic, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1999
- 203 · The Specialist · Lauren P. Burka · nv S/M Futures, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 223 · Burning Bridges [as by David Laurents] · Lawrence Schimel · ss Honcho Overload Jun 94
- 233 · Autoerotic · William Marden · ss Technosex, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1994
- 245 · Liquid Kitten · Jamie Joy Gatto · ss Sex Noir, Circlet Press, 2002
- 253 · Heir Apparent · Gary Bowen · nv Genderflex, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1996
- 273 · The Limo · Reed Manning · ss Club International Nov 95
- 283 · Consumption · Mason Powell · nv Wired Hard, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1994
- 307 · Soul of Light · Catherine Asaro · nv Sextopia, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 2001
- 341 · Contributors & Acknowledgements · Misc. · bg