Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2004
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Outer Limits: Always Darkest Stan Timmons (ibooks 0-7434-9307-9, Aug 2004, $6.99, 283pp, pb) [Outer Limits] Reprint (ibooks 2003) novelization based loosely on the TV show. Packaged by Byron Preiss Visual Publications; copyrighted by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios.
Her Smoke Rose Up Forever James Tiptree, Jr. (Tachyon Publications 1-892391-20-1, Nov 2004, $15.95, 508 + xiv, tp, cover by John Picacio) Reprint (Arkham House 1990) collection of 18 stories. Some stories have been corrected/revised from Tiptrees own notes. There is a new introduction by Michael Swanwick. Copyrighted 2004 by editor Jeffrey D. Smith.
Prefiguring Cyberculture: An Intellectual History ed. Darren Tofts, Annemarie Jonson & Alessio Cavallaro (MIT Press 0-262-20145-3, Mar 2003, $32.95, 322 + xiv, hc) Gathering of essays looking at cyberculture today and its precursors from Plato to William Gibson and other SF writers. Contributors include Russell Blackford and Damien Broderick. Foreword by N. Katherine Hayles. There is an index; notes and bibliographic references accompany individual articles. This is dated 2003, but not seen until now. Order from MIT Press, Five Cambridge Center, Cambridge MA 02142-1493; 800-415-1619; [http://mitpress.mit.edu]; add $4.00 postage.
Flight of the Raven Stephanie S. Tolan (HarperTempest 0-380-73299-8, Jul 2004, $7.99, 294pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Welcome to the Ark] Reprint (HarperCollins 2001) young-adult near-future SF novel, sequel to Welcome to the Ark.
Book of Lost Tales, Part Two J. R. R. Tolkien (SFBC #1162850, Jun 2004, $12.99, 385pp, hc) [Middle-Earth] Reprint (Allen & Unwin 1984) fantasy collection. This is similar to the Houghton Mifflin edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Letters from Father Christmas J. R. R. Tolkien (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-51265-9, Dec 2004, $15.00, 111pp, tp, cover by J. R. R. Tolkien) Reprint (Allen & Unwin 1976 as The Father Christmas Letters) collection of letters about life at the North Pole, originally written and illustrated by Tolkien for his own children. This follows the 1999 revised edition.
The Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien (SFBC #01256, Mar 2004, $17.99, 1147 + xviii, hc) [Middle-Earth] Reprint (Allen & Unwin 1968) classic fantasy novel/omnibus. The text apparently follows the 1994 edition. This is a special leatherbound, gilt-edged SFBC 50th Anniversary edition. It retains ISBN 0-7394-0825-9, and lacks both price and SFBC number.
The Silmarillion J. R. R. Tolkien (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-39111-8, Nov 2004, $35.00, 386 + xxviii, hc, cover by Ted Nasmith) [Middle-Earth] Reprint (Allen & Unwin; Houghton Mifflin 1977) fantasy novel with the 1998 full-color illustrations by Ted Nasmith, and the text of the HarperCollins UK 1999 revised second edition.
Mobile Suit Gundam Yoshiyuki Tomino (Stone Bridge Press 1-880656-86-8, Jun 2004, $14.95, 473pp, tp) [Gundam Mobile Suit] Omnibus of three novelizations in a trilogy based on Japanese anime, originally published in 1990 as the Gundam Mobile Suit series: Awakening, Escalation, and Confrontation. Translated by Frederik L. Schodt from the Japanese (Asahi Sonorama 1979-81; translation based on the 1987 revised edition from Kadokawa Shoten). The translation has been corrected and revised to conform with the current anime nomenclature. Introduction by Mark Simmons.
- · Awakening · n. New York: Del Rey, 1990
- · Escalation · n. New York: Del Rey, 1990
- · Confrontation · n. New York: Del Rey, 1991
The Adventures of The Librarian: Quest for the Spear Christopher Tracy (ibooks 1-4165-0486-9, Nov 2004, $6.99, 245pp, pb) Movie novelization. Copyrighted by ApolloProScreen GmbH & Co. Filmproduktion KG.
World of Darkness: Dark Ages: Toreador Janet Trautvetter (White Wolf 1-58846-833-X, Dec 2003, $6.99, 288pp, pb, cover by John Bolton) [World of Darkness: Dark Ages: Clan] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, the ninth Clan novel in the Dark Ages series. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
City of Pearl Karen Traviss (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-054169-5, Mar 2004, $6.99, 392pp, pb) [Wesshar Wars] SF novel. A human colony co-existing with previously unknown aliens fears re-contact with Earth. A first novel.
Crossing the Line Karen Traviss (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-054170-9, Nov 2004, $7.50, 373pp, pb) [Wesshar Wars] SF novel, sequel to City of Pearl. Forces from Earth spark a new war at Cavanaghs Star.
Star Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact Karen Traviss (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 0-345-47827-4, Nov 2004, $6.99, 293pp, pb) [Star Wars: Republic Commando] Star Wars novelization based on the video game based on the universe of the movies. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Compositions for the Young and Old Paul G. Tremblay (Wildside Press/Prime Books/House of Dominion 1-930997-43-4, Jul 2004, $15.00, 209pp, pb, cover by David Ho) Collection of 20 horror and fantasy stories, seven original. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.primebooks.net], or from Dominion, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
- 9 · From the Cradle to the Grave · Jeffrey Thomas · in *
- 13 · Perfect · ss Vivasections, Catalyst Press, 2003
- 19 · Role Models · ss *
- 27 · The Pond · vi Alternate Realities Aug, 2001
- 29 · Reaching · ss *
- 42 · Hurt · ss The Midnighters Club Jun, 2001
- 52 · City Pier · ss *
- 67 · Dole as Ribbit [City Pier] · ss *
- 85 · Harlequin and the Train · ss Of Flesh and Hunger, Double Dragon Books, 2003
- 97 · Cold · ss Gothic.Net website Nov, 2001
- 108 · Stairs · pm Electric Wine Oct, 2001
- 110 · With More Than Eyes · ss Gothic.Net website Sep, 2002
- 119 · Perception · ss Fortean Bureau Feb, 2003
- 122 · Annabel Leigh · ss Beyond the Dust Jan, 2004
- 143 · Walls · ss *
- 148 · 433 · ss Gothic.Net website May, 2002
- 157 · Hackin at the Peach · ss *
- 167 · So Many Things Left Out · ss The Book of Final Flesh, ed. James Lowder, Eden Studios, 2003
- 179 · The Laughing Man Meets Little Cat · ss ChiZine Oct, 2002
- 185 · The Jar · ss Brainbox II: Son of Brainbox, ed. Steve Eller, Irrational Press, 2001
- 195 · Colonel Evans Last Mission · ss *
The Seadragons Daughter Alan F. Troop (Penguin/Roc 0-451-46007-3, Dec 2004, $6.99, 278pp, pb, cover by Kovec) [Dragon Delasangre] Fantasy novel, third in The Dragon Delasangre series.
Dixie Victorious: An Alternate History of the Civil War ed. Peter G. Tsouras (Military Book Club/SFBC #65856, 2004, $12.99, 272pp, hc, cover by Don Troiani) Reprint (Greenhill Books UK 2004) original anthology of ten alternate history stories in the form of historical essays written as if the alternate events actually took place. Each is accompanied by bibliography, notes, and a discussion of what really happened.
De Bracys Drug E. C. Tubb (Gryphon Books 1-58250-065-7, Jul 2004, $15.00, 97pp, tp, cover by Sydney Jordan) SF novella. The introduction by Philip Harbottle puts the book in historical context. Gryphon SF Re-Discovery Series #48. First US edition (Scion 1953 as by Volsted Gridban). Available from Gryphon Books, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; [www.gryphonbooks.com].
Footsteps of Angels E. C. Tubb (Gryphon Books 1-58250-066-5, Jul 2004, $20.00, 160pp, tp, cover by Sydney Jordan) SF novel. A wealthy entrepreneur seeks a cure for a disease spreading throughout the solar system. Introduction by Philip Harbottle. Gryphon SF Re-Discovery Series #49. Available from Gryphon Books, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; [www.gryphonbooks.com].
A Sense of Wonder: Samuel R. Delany, Race, Identity, and Difference Jeffrey Allen Tucker (Wesleyan University Press 0-8195-6689-6, Jul 2004, $24.95, 344 + xiv, tp, cover by Jeff Doten) Critical examination of Delanys work, based on the authors 1997 Ph.D. thesis. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. A hardcover edition (-65688-8, $70.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University Press of New England, Order Dept., 37 Lafayette St., Lebanon NH 03766-1405; 800-421-1561; [www.wesleyan.edu/wespress]. Leslie Starr, mktg mgr. [firstname.lastname@example.org]. [Samuel R. Delany]
Inside the World of Philip Pullman: Darkness Visible Nicholas Tucker (ibooks 0-7434-9819-4, Oct 2004, $12.95, 207pp, tp) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to Pullmans works, with synopses and brief discussions of possible influences. First US edition (Wizard Books 11/03 as Darkness Visible: Inside the World of Philip Pullman).
Wishing Moon Michael O. Tunnell (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-47193-6, Jun 2004, $17.99, 266pp, hc, cover by Jo Tronc) [Wishing Moon] Young-adult fantasy. An orphan girl finds Aladdins lamp.
The Tolkien Fans Medieval Reader ed. Turgon (Cold Spring Press 1-59360-011-9, May 2004, $14.95, 396pp, tp) Non-fiction, reference anthology of 17 medieval texts that influenced Tolkien, with brief discussions of Tolkiens relationship to each. Works are modern English, mostly prose translations of works including Beowulf, The Green Knight, the Prose Edda of Snorri Stuluson, and several of The Canterbury Tales by Chaucer. Comments on other translations and suggestions for further reading are also provided. Foreword by Verlyn Flieger. Turgon writes for TheOneRing.net, The Internets #1 Tolkien Fan Website; this is copyrighted by David E. Smith. Available from Cold Spring Press, PO Box 284, Cold Spring Harbor NY 11724; [Jopenroad@aol.com]. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
21st Century Pulp Eric Turowski (iUniverse/Scarlet Letter Press 0-595-29860-5, Jan 2004, $13.95, 171pp, tp, cover by Eric Turowski) Original collection of seven stories, three reprints, written in the pulp tradition, but mixing genres. One essay comments on What is 21st Century Pulp?. This is a print-on-demand book, available online at [www.iuniverse.com], or from iUniverse, 2021 Pine Lake Road, Suite 100, Lincoln NE 68512.
- 1 · The Eye of Mijei · ss Double Danger Tales May 97
- 21 · From Farrah Fawcett Until the Beginning of Time · ss *
- 35 · The Face of Chu-Jung · nv Double Danger Tales Aug 97
- 75 · Hunting Strategy · ss *
- 93 · The Minion Cycle · nv *
- 115 · Scavenger · nv *
- 151 · The Bugboys · ss The Zone #5 97
- 169 · What Is 21st Century Pulp? · ar *
Owls to Athens H. N. Turteltaub (Tor/Forge 0-765-30038-9, Dec 2004, $25.95, 382pp, hc, cover by John Blackford) Associational historical novel. Turteltaub is a pen name for Harry Turtledove.
3 x T Harry Turtledove (Baen 0-7434-8835-0, Jul 2004, $25.00, 698pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) Omnibus of one novel and two collections: novel Noninterference (1988), Kaleidoscope (1990), and Earthgrip (1991). A Baen Mega book.
- 1 · Noninterference [Bilbeis IV] · n. New York: Del Rey, 1988
- · Noninterference [as by Eric G. Iverson; Bilbeis IV] · ss Analog Jul 85
- · Second Survey [Bilbeis IV] · nv Analog Jul 86
- · The Report on Bilbeis IV [Bilbeis IV] · n. Analog May 87 (+2)
- 201 · Kaleidoscope · co New York: Del Rey, 1990
- 203 · And So to Bed [Sims] · ss Analog Jan 86
- 219 · Bluff [as by Eric G. Iverson] · nv Analog Feb 85
- 247 · A Difficult Undertaking · ss The Dragon Sep 86
- 269 · The Weathers Fine · ss Playboy Jul 87
- 283 · Crybaby · ss Twilight Zone Dec 87
- 301 · Hindsight [as by Eric G. Iverson] · nv Analog mid-Dec 84
- 333 · Gentlemen of the Shade · nv Ripper!, ed. Gardner Dozois & Susan Casper, Tor, 1988
- 365 · The Boring Beast · Harry Turtledove & Kevin R. Sandes · ss Amazing Jul 88
- 377 · The Road Not Taken · nv Analog Nov 85
- 401 · The Castle of the Sparrowhawk · ss Fantasy Book Sep 85
- 411 · The Summer Garden · ss Kaleidoscope, Ballantine, 1990; originally appeared revised as The Summers Garden, by Eric G. Iverson, Fantasy Book, Feb 82.
- 421 · The Last Article · nv F&SF Jan 88
- 453 · The Girl Who Took Lessons · ss Playboy Aug 88
- 459 · Earthgrip [Tales from the Traders World] · co New York: Del Rey, 1991
- 461 · The GBur [6+; Tales from the Traders World] · na Analog Sep 87
- 517 · The Atheters [Nothing in the Night-Time; Tales from the Traders World] · nv Analog Mar 89
- 539 · The Foitani [The Great Unknown; Tales from the Traders World] · n. Analog Apr 91 (+2)
Advance and Retreat Harry Turtledove (Baen 0-7434-8820-2, Apr 2004, $7.99, 484pp, pb, cover by Tom Kidd) [War Between the Provinces] Reprint (Baen 2002) fantasy novel, third in the series begun in Sentry Peak.
American Empire: The Victorious Opposition Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44424-8, May 2004, $7.99, 618pp, pb) [American Empire] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) SF alternate-history novel, third in a series sequel to the Great War saga.
Conan of Venarium Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-765-34388-6, Jul 2004, $6.99, 269pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Conan] Reprint (Tor 2003) fantasy novelization based on the character created by Robert E. Howard. Copyrighted by Conan Properties.
Curious Notions Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-765-30694-8, Oct 2004, $23.95, 272pp, hc, cover by Kazuhiko Sano) [Crosstime Traffic] SF novel, second in the Crosstime Traffic series. Crosstime agents run a store in a San Francisco in an alternate world where Germany won WWI and now dominates the world.
Days of Infamy Harry Turtledove (Penguin/New American Library 0-451-21307-6, Nov 2004, $24.95, 440pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Days of Infamy] Alternate-history SF novel set in a world where Japan invaded Hawaii during WWII.
Gunpowder Empire Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-765-34609-5, Oct 2004, $6.99, 286pp, pb, cover by Kazuhiko Sano) [Crosstime Traffic] Reprint (Tor 2003) alternate-world SF novel, first in the Crosstime Traffic series. Originally published as for young adults.
Homeward Bound Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45846-X, Jan 2005, $26.95, 597pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Worldwar; Colonization] Alternate-history SF novel following the Worldwar and Colonization series. Humans manage to reach the homeworld of the Race, Earths alien invaders.
In the Presence of Mine Enemies Harry Turtledove (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45959-8, Nov 2004, $7.99, 507pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) Reprint (NAL 2003) alternate-history SF novel set in a world where the Nazis won WWII.
Jaws of Darkness Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-765-34318-5, Mar 2004, $7.99, 655pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Darkness] Reprint (Tor 2003) fantasy novel, fifth in the Darkness series.
Out of the Darkness Harry Turtledove (Tor 0-765-30438-4, Apr 2004, $27.95, 524pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Darkness] Fantasy novel, sixth in the Darkness series.
Settling Accounts: Return Engagement Harry Turtledove (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45723-4, Aug 2004, $26.95, 623pp, hc) [Settling Accounts] Alternate-history novel, first in a new series sequel to the Great War and American Empire series. The Confederate States of America attacks the United States of America, even as WWII looms.
Settling Accounts: Return Engagement Harry Turtledove (SFBC #1169828, Sep 2004, $13.49, 623pp, hc) [Settling Accounts] Reprint (Del Rey 2004) alternate-history novel, first in a new series sequel to the Great War and American Empire series.
The First Heroes: New Tales of the Bronze Age ed. Harry Turtledove & Noreen Doyle (Tor 0-765-30286-1, May 2004, $25.95, 368pp, hc, cover by Peter Fiore) Original anthology of 14 historical fantasy stories about the Bronze Age. Authors include Gene Wolfe, Lois Tilton, and Poul Anderson.
Alternate Generals II ed. Harry Turtledove & Martin H. Greenberg (Baen 0-7434-7186-5, Mar 2004, $7.99, 378pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) Reprint (Baen 2002) original anthology of stories of alternate military history. Greenberg is only mentioned on the copyright page.
The Best Time Travel Stories of the 20th Century ed. Harry Turtledove & Martin H. Greenberg (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46094-4, Jan 2005, $17.95, 425 + xiii, tp) Anthology of 18 time-travel stories. Authors include Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert Silverberg, Jack Finney, and Arthur C. Clarke. Introduction by Turtledove.
Graphic Classics, Volume Eight: Mark Twain Mark Twain (Eureka Productions 0-9712464-8-3, Jan 2004, $9.95, 144pp, tp, cover by George Sellas) Illustrated anthology/graphic novel with 15 illustrated or comic-style adaptations of works by Twain, including The Mysterious Stranger adapted by Rick Geary and A Ghost Story adapted by Anton Emdin. Eureka Productions, 8778 Oak Grove Road, Mount Horeb WI 53572; [www.graphicclassics.com].
- 4 · Seventieth Birthday · ex, 1905; illus. Mark Dancey
- 6 · The Mysterious Stranger · Mark Twain & Rick Geary, adapt. · gs *; illus. Rick Geary
- 42 · How the Author Was Sold in Newark · Mark Twain & Milton Knight, adapt. · gs *; illus. Milton Knight
- 47 · The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County · Mark Twain & Kevin Atkinson, adapt. · gs *; illus. Kevin Atkinson
- 59 · The Legend of Sagenfeld · ss; illus. Evert Geradts
- 64 · Ode to Stephen Dowling Bots, Decd. [from The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn] · pm; illus. Jackie Smith
- 66 · P.T. Barnum and the Cardiff Giant · Tom Pomplun · gs *; illus. Dan E. Burr
- 68 · A Ghost Story · Mark Twain & Anton Emdin, adapt. · gs *; illus. Anton Emdin
- 81 · A Dogs Tale · Mark Twain & Lance Tooks, adapt. · gs *; illus. Lance Tooks
- 96 · A Curious Pleasure Excursion · Mark Twain & William L. Brown, adapt. · gs *; illus. William L. Brown
- 100 · A Reminiscence of the Back Settlements · ss; illus. Lisa K. Weber
- 102 · Is He Living or Is He Dead? · Mark Twain & Simon Gane, adapt. · gs *; illus. Simon Gane
- 115 · Advice to Little Girls · ms; illus. Florence Cestac, Kirsten Ulve, Shary Flenniken, Toni Pawlowsky, Mary Fleener, Annie Owens & Lesley Reppeteaux
- 122 · An Encounter with an Interviewer · ss; illus. Skip Williamson
- 125 · The Facts Concerning the Recent Carnival of Crime in Connecticut · Mark Twain & Antonella Caputo, script. · gs *; illus. Nicholas Miller