Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2005
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
A Game of Thrones George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-58848-6, Aug 2005, $3.99, 836pp, pb) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reissue (HarperCollins/Voyager 1996) fantasy novel, book one of Song of Ice and Fire. Winner of the 1996 Locus Award for Best Fantasy Novel.
A Storm of Swords George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57342-X, Aug 2005, $7.99, 1178pp, pb) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reprint (Voyager 2000) fantasy novel, book three of A Song of Ice and Fire. Fifth printing.
The Hedge Knight George R. R. Martin, Ben Avery & Mike S. Miller (Dabel Brothers 0-9764011-0-X, Oct 2005, $14.95, unpaginated, tp, cover by Boris Vallejo & Julie Bell) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reissue (Dabel Brothers 2004) graphic novel adaptation of Martins novella in the Song of Ice and Fire series, adapted by Avery with art by Miller. This also has a new graphic story by Martin. Foreword by Robert Silverberg. Second edition.
Star Trek: Titan: Taking Wing Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels (Pocket 0-7434-9627-2, Apr 2005, $7.99, 359pp, pb) [Star Trek: Titan] Star Trek novelization set between the original series and The Next Generation. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Birdwing Rafe Martin (Scholastic/Levine 0-439-21167-0, Oct 2005, $16.99, 359pp, hc, cover by Dennis Clouse) Young-adult fantasy novel, a sequel to the fairy tale of The Wild Swans. The prince left with one wing instead of an arm tries to figure out his place in his fathers kingdom.
The World Before This One Rafe Martin (Scholastic 0-590-37980-1, Aug 2005, $5.99, 195pp, tp, cover by Calvin Nicholls) Reprint (Scholastic 2002) young-adult fantasy novel based on Seneca Indian legends.
Gils All Fright Diner A. Lee Martinez (Tor 0-765-31471-1, May 2005, $12.95, 267pp, hc, cover by Jeff Soto) Humorous dark fantasy novel. A werewolf and a vampire find they may have bitten off more than they can chew when they tackle a diners zombie problem. A hardcover edition (-31143-7, $24.95) is also available.
Counting Heads David Marusek (Tor 0-765-31267-0, Nov 2005, $24.95, 336pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) SF novel based on his award-winning story We Were Out of Our Minds With Joy about a complex overcrowded future Earth. A first novel.
The Revealing L. A. Marzulli (HarperCollins/Zondervan 0-310-24086-7, Oct 2004, $12.99, 357pp, tp, cover by Peter Bollinger) [Nephilim] Christian fantasy/UFO novel, third in the series begun in The Nephilim. Fallen angels, alien hybrids, war, and famine threaten to bring about a prophecy of doomsday. This is dated 2004 but not seen until now.
Twice Damned Carrie S. Masek (Mundania Press 1-59426-075-3, Mar 2005, $14.00, 246pp, tp) Near-future vampire novel. A vampire created in Hitlers laboratories learns others have survived and plan to create an immortal Reich. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.mundania.com], or from Mundania Press, 6470A Glenway Ave. #109, Cincinnati OH 45211-5222.
Vigil Robert Masello (Berkley 0-425-20350-6, Jun 2005, $7.99, 376pp, pb) Horror novel. A paleontologist tries to decipher the message of a legendary parchment and a fossil older than the earth.
Rogue Harvest Danita Maslan (Red Deer Press/Robert J. Sawyer Books 0-88995-329-5, Jul 2005, $19.95, 383pp, hc) Post-holocaust ecological thriller. A womans hunt for her fathers assassins leads to genetic engineering, corporate greed, and the re-created South American rain forests. Introduction by Robert J. Sawyer. Red Deer Press, #1512, 1800 4th Street SW, Calgary AB Canada T2S 2S5; [www.reddeerpress.com].
Within the Shadows Brandon Massey (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-1069-8, Jun 2005, $14.00, 357pp, tp) Horror novel. A mystery writer in Atlanta meets a woman who isnt what she seems. This includes a reading group guide.
Walking in the Garden of the Mind Sophie Masson (Altair Australia Books 0-9757208-1-3, May 2005, $19.95, 279pp, tp, cover by Sarah Xu) Collection of 11 stories, two apparently original, and 13 non-fiction pieces. Order from Altair Australia, PO Box 475, Blackwood SA 5051, Australia; [www.altair-australia.com]; in the US add $10.00 postage.
- 9 · Foreword · fw
- 11 · Ezekiel, Elves and ET · ar The Australian Jun 25 97
- 17 · Captive in Fairyland: The Strange Case of Robert Kirk of Aberfoyle · ar, 2001; paper presented at the Fourth Australian Conference of Celtic Studies, Sydney University, 2001.
- 35 · Fons origo · ss Quadrant, 2003
- 49 · Away With the Fairies · ar, 2003; talk given at the 2003 Federation of Childrens Books Groups Annual Conference, Southwold, UK.
- 59 · Saint Simon and the Devil · ss
- 63 · What Happens Next: Lived Story · ar Reading Time, 2002
- 69 · The Common Dish · ss Quadrant, 2001
- 79 · Imaginations Stronghold A Writer and Libraries · ar, 2000; talk given at Australian Library and Information Association National Conference, Canberra 2000.
- 89 · The Great Deep · ss The Mutant Files, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2001
- 107 · The Eyes of the Icon · ar Image Jan, 2004; a shorter version was first published in Quadrant magazine, Australia, October 2003.
- 127 · Shark · ss Orb Speculative Fiction #3/4, 2002
- 147 · Third Night: Into the Otherworld · ss Australian Quarterly, 2000
- 155 · The Neptune Clock · ss Tales from the Deep, ed. Meredith Costain & Paul Collins, Spinouts Silver, 1999
- 159 · The Mirror of Honour and Love · ar Quadrant, 2001
- 169 · Gone Fishing · ss
- 173 · Mel · ss Spine-chilling, ed. P. E. Matthews, Omnibus Books, 1992
- 185 · The Age of Arthur · ar Quadrant, 1998
- 193 · Here Be Dragons · ss Land/Space, ed. Candas Jane Dorsey & Judy McCrosky, Tesseract, 2002
- 206 · Fatherless Sons · ar, 2000; talk given at a one-day Arthurian seminar run by the Arthurian Association of Australia, Canberra, 2000.
- 221 · Lancelot · ss The Road to Camelot, ed. Sophie Masson, Random House Australia, 2002
- 234 · Marginalia · ar Australian Quarterly, 1999
- 241 · Times Past, Times to Come: The Influence of the Past on Visions of the Future · ar; talk for an ALIA state conference, 1997.
- 257 · Wicked Sheriff and Outlaw Lord · ar Quadrant, 1999
- 267 · That Merry Wanderer of the Night · ar
Manitou Blood Graham Masterton (Leisure 0-8439-5425-6, Sep 2005, $6.99, 369pp, pb) [Manitou] Horror novel, the fourth featuring Harry Erskine, medicine man Singing Rock, and the vengeful Algonquin shaman Misquamacus. New York City is struck by a plague that turns victims into vampires.
Unspeakable Graham Masterton (Pocket Star 0-7434-6294-7, Feb 2005, $6.99, 265pp, pb) Horror novel with possible supernatural elements. A deaf social worker who lip-reads helps police and may be cursed.
Collected Stories, Volume 2 Richard Matheson (Gauntlet Press/Edge 1-887368-79-5, Apr 2005, $16.95, 453pp, tp, cover by Harry O. Morris) Reprint (Dream/Press 1989 as part of Richard Matheson: Collected Stories, not seen) collection of 29 stories from between 1953 and 1958. Edited and with a preface by Stanley Wiater. This is the second of three parts reprinting the Dream/Press limited edition. Matheson adds comments on each story. Gauntlet Press/Edge Books, 5307 Arroyo St., Colorado Springs CO 80922; [www.gauntletpress.com]; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- 1 · Editors Preface · Stanley Wiater · pr
- 3 · Dream/Press Introduction 1989 · in
- 13 · Gauntlet Press Introduction 2003 · in
- 51 · Slaughter House · nv Weird Tales Jul 53
- 49 · Trespass [Mother by Protest] · nv Fantastic Sep/Oct 53
- 89 · The Wedding · ss Beyond Fantasy Fiction Jul 53
- 99 · Wet Straw · ss Weird Tales Jan 53
- 107 · Being · nv If Aug 54
- 141 · The Conqueror · ss Bluebook May 54
- 159 · From Jack Finney · Jack Finney · ms
- 161 · The Curious Child · ss Fantastic Jun 54
- 171 · Dear Diary · ss Born of Man and Woman, Chamberlain, 1954
- 175 · Descent · ss If May 54
- 189 · The Doll That Does Everything · ss Fantastic Universe Dec 54
- 199 · The Man Who Made the World · ss Imagination Feb 54
- 209 · The Test · ss F&SF Nov 54
- 229 · The Traveller · ss Born of Man and Woman, Chamberlain, 1954; F&SF Feb 62
- 243 · When Day Is Dun · ss Fantastic Universe May 54
- 249 · Dance of the Dead · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #3, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1954
- 265 · The Funeral · ss F&SF Apr 55
- 275 · Miss Stardust · ss Startling Stories Spr 55
- 293 · One for the Books · ss Galaxy Sep 55
- 313 · Pattern for Survival · vi F&SF May 55
- 317 · From George Clayton Johnson · George Clayton Johnson · ms
- 319 · A Flourish of Strumpets · ss Playboy Nov 56
- 329 · The Splendid Source · ss Playboy May 56
- 347 · Steel · nv F&SF May 56
- 373 · A Visit to Santa Claus [Ill Make It Look Good, as by Logan Swanson] · ss AHMM Mar 57
- 387 · The Children of Noah · ss AHMM Mar 57
- 405 · The Holiday Man · ss F&SF Jul 57
- 411 · Lemmings · vi F&SF Jan 58
- 415 · Old Haunts · ss F&SF Oct 57
- 427 · The Distributor · ss Playboy Mar 58
- 445 · The Edge · ss F&SF Aug 58
Duel & The Distributor: Stories and Screenplays Richard Matheson (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-72-8, Nov 2004, $66.00, 352pp, hc, cover by Harry O. Morris) Collection of two stories and the scripts of the movies they became, plus afterwords to each by Matheson. Edited by Matthew R. Bradley, who also provides a foreword, afterword, and an interview with actor Dennis Weaver.
- 9 · Playboy Cover: 1971 · Misc. · il
- 11 · Duel: The Foreword · Matthew R. Bradley · fw
- 21 · Duel: The Short Story · nv Playboy Apr 71
- 45 · Duel: The Script · pl
- 141 · Duelist: An Interview with Dennis Weaver · Matthew R. Bradley · iv [Dennis Weaver]
- 151 · Duel: An Afterword · aw
- 155 · Duel Photo Gallery · Misc. · pi
- 171 · Playboy Cover: 1958 · Misc. · il
- 173 · The Distributor: The Short Story · ss Playboy Mar 58
- 189 · The Distributor: The Script · pl
- 345 · The Distributor: An Afterword · Matthew R. Bradley · aw
- 351 · The Distributor: An Afterword · aw
Earthbound Richard Matheson (Tor 0-765-31171-2, Apr 2005, $13.95, 223pp, tp, cover by Michael Deas) Reprint (Playboy Press 1982 as by Logan Swanson) ghost/horror novel. This is the revised text of the Robinson UK 1989 edition.
Woman Richard Matheson (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-75-2, May 2005, $12.95, 125pp, tp, cover by Harry O. Morris) Horror novel. A Hollywood talk-show psychiatrist is plagued by a crazed neighbor.
Follow A. J. Matthews (Jove 0-515-14015-5, Oct 2005, $7.99, 312pp, pb) Supernatural thriller/horror novel. Matthews is a pen name for Rick Hautala.
The League of Heroes Xavier Mauméjean (Black Coat Press 1-932983-44-9, Nov 2005, $20.95, 263pp, tp, cover by Patrick Dumas) Fantasy novel. Phileas Foggs League of Heroes (including Sherlock Holmes, Lord Greystoke, Professor Cavor, and Captain Hook) battles bad guys including Peter Pan, Prince Sinbad, and Pharaoh Im-Ho-Tep, and the Horla. Translated/adapted by Manuella Chevalier from the French La Ligue des Heros (Editions Mnemos 2002). This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [www.blackcoatpress.com] or from Hollywood Comics.com, PO Box 17270, Encino CA 91416.
Crimson City Liz Maverick (Dorchester/Love Spell 0-505-52622-0, Jul 2005, $6.99, 345pp, pb) Vampire novel, first in a series set in a Los Angeles run by vampires. Warrior vampire Fleur Dumont is forced to become a leader when her brothers are killed.
Deorbit the Space Shuttle: Stem Cell Neil Mavis (Heuristic Publishing 0-9763863-0-5, Jun 2005, $16.95, 319pp, tp) Near-future SF novel. A programmer helps rescue a stranded space shuttle in hopes of getting his mother treated with a zero-gravity stem cell cancer cure. This is a print-on-demand edition. Heuristic Publishing, 1611 South Utica #140, Tulsa OK 74104.
Circus of the Darned Katie Maxwell (Dorchester/Smooch 0-8439-5400-0, Jan 2006, $5.99, 182pp, pb) [Got Fangs?] Young-adult dark fantasy, sequel to Got Fangs?. Francesca, still traveling with the GothFaire, accidentally raises Viking ghosts.
Conquerors Moon Julian May (Ace 0-441-01211-6, Apr 2005, $7.99, 445pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Boreal Moon Tale] Reprint (Voyager 2003) fantasy novel, first book in the Boreal Moon Tale.
Ironcrown Moon Julian May (Ace 0-441-01244-2, Apr 2005, $24.95, 403pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Boreal Moon Tale] Fantasy novel, second book in the Boreal Moon Tale. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 10/04).
Superfolks Robert Mayer (St. Martins Griffin 0-312-33992-5, Mar 2005, $12.95, 231pp, tp, cover by Michael Allred) Reprint (Dial 1977) satiric fantasy novel about a retired superhero called back into battle. Foreword by Grant Morrison.
Superfolks Robert Mayer (SFBC #1173814, Jun 2005, $10.99, 231pp, hc, cover by Michael Allred) Reprint (Dial 1977) satiric fantasy novel about a retired superhero called back into battle, with the foreword by Grant Morrison from the Griffin 2005 trade paperback edition. This has ISBN 0-7394-5341-6; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
White Devils Paul McAuley (Tor 0-765-34679-6, Apr 2005, $7.99, 537pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 2004) near-future SF biotech thriller.
Transgressions ed. Ed McBain (Tor/Forge 0-765-30851-7, May 2005, $27.95, 783pp, hc) Associational original anthology of ten mystery novellas by authors including Stephen King, Sharyn McCrumb, Walter Mosley, and Joyce Carol Oates.
The Last Motel Brett McBean (Biting Dog Publications 0-9729485-3-8, Feb 2005, $16.95, 258pp, tp, cover by Keith Minnion) Associational non-supernatural horror novel. A limited hardcover edition of 500 (-2-X, $40.00) with added original story The Cycle is also available. A first novel. This is the first US edition (Wild Roses Productions Australia 6/03). A print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.bitingdogpress.com], or from Biting Dog Publications, PO Box 2739, Duluth GA 30096.
- · The Cycle · Brett McBean · ss; only in limited hardcover edition.
Futureways ed. Rita McBride & Glen Russamen (Arsenal Pulp Press 1-55152-172-5, Apr 2005, $14.95, 200pp, tp) Anthology in the form of a collaborative faux science fiction novel about an art exhibition in the distant future, with 14 chapters each written by different, uncredited authors including Nalo Hopkinson, Matthew Light, and Peter Maas. Co-published by Arsenal Pulp Press, the Whitney Museum of American Art and Printed Matter, Inc. Order from Arsenal Pulp Press, 103-1014 Homer Street, Vancouver BC Canada V6B 2W9; 604-687-4233; 888-600-PULP; [www.arsenalpulp.com]; [email@example.com]. This first US edition appears to be the Canadian first edition (10/04).
Moretas Ride Anne McCaffrey (SFBC #1188075, Apr 2005, $12.99, 445pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Pern] Omnibus of two novels of the Dragonriders of Pern: Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (1983) and Nerilkas Story (1986).
- 1 · Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern · n. London: Severn House, 1983
- 327 · Nerilkas Story · n. New York: Bantam, 1986
Acornas Children: First Warning Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-052538-X, Aug 2005, $24.95, 290pp, hc, cover by Chris McGrath) [Acornas Children] SF novel based on a comic-book idea by McCaffrey, first in a new series that picks up with the next generation after the Acorna the Unicorn Girl series.
Acornas Children: First Warning Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (SFBC #1190974, Sep 2005, $12.99, 285pp, hc, cover by John Ennis) [Acornas Children] Reprint (Eos 2005) SF novel based on a comic-book idea by McCaffrey, first in a trilogy that picks up with the next generation after the Acorna the Unicorn Girl series.
Changelings Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-47002-8, Jan 2006, $19.95, 273pp, hc, cover by Terese Nielsen) [Petaybee: Twins] SF novel, fourth in the Petaybee series begun in Powers That Be. Twins Ronan and Murel seek the origins of their shape-shifting talent.
Powers That Be Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-38779-1, Jan 2006, $6.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Scott M. Fischer) [Petaybee] Reissue (Del Rey 1993) SF novel, first in the series.
Dragonsblood Todd McCaffrey (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44124-9, Jan 2005, $24.95, 438pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [Pern] SF novel in Anne McCaffreys Dragonriders of Pern series. This is the first solo novel by her son Todd.
Dragonsblood Todd McCaffrey (SFBC #1174220, Feb 2005, $13.99, 438pp, hc, cover by Les Edwards) [Pern] Reprint (Del Rey 2005) SF novel in Anne McCaffreys Pern series. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price on the back jacket.
Rancour James McCann (Simply Read Books 1-894965-31-0, Oct 2005, $10.95, 237pp, tp, cover by A. Matsoureff) [Rancour] Young-adult horror novel about a vampire-hunting werewolf. Available from Simply Read Books, 501-5525 West Boulevard, Vancouver BC Canada V6M 3W6; [www.simplyreadbooks.com]; 604-727-2960.
To Crush the Moon Wil McCarthy (Bantam Spectra 0-553-58717-X, Jun 2005, $6.99, 381pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Monarchs of Sol] Far-future SF novel, the fourth and final volume of the Queendom of Sol series begun in The Collapsium. Efforts to transform the moon into a habitable world may be too late for the overpopulated Queendom.
Not the End of the World Geraldine McCaughrean (HarperTempest 0-06-076030-3, Jul 2005, $16.99, 244pp, hc, cover by Richard Tuschman) Young-adult fantasy, the story of Noahs Ark seen through human and animal eyes. First US edition (Oxford University Press 10/04).
The Last Companion Patrick McCormack (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-1494-8, Jan 2005, $25.00, 401pp, hc) Post-Arthurian novel. A small group seeks to protect Arthurs legacy after his death. This is the first US edition of a book originally published by Raven 1997, and in a revised edition by Robinson 2005.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Hollow Men Una McCormack (Pocket 0-7434-9151-3, May 2005, $7.99, 349pp, pb, cover by Tom Hallman) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Necromunda: Blood Royal Will McDermott & Gordon Rennie (BL Publishing/Black Library US 1-84416-190-0, Jul 2005, $6.99, 254pp, pb) [Kal Jericho] Novelization based on the universe of the SF war game, the first in a series featuring bounty hunter Kal Jericho. This has the same ISBN as the simultaneous Black Library UK edition, but only gives US and Canadian prices.
Polaris Jack McDevitt (SFBC #1175914, Dec 2004, $12.49, 370pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Alex Benedict] Reprint (Ace 2004) SF novel, related to A Talent for War. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Polaris Jack McDevitt (Ace 0-441-01253-1, Nov 2005, $7.99, 385pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Alex Benedict] Reprint (Ace 2004) SF mystery novel about a missing space yacht, related to A Talent for War.
Seeker Jack McDevitt (Ace 0-441-01329-5, Nov 2005, $24.95, 360pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Alex Benedict] Far-future SF mystery, the third featuring antiques dealer Alex Benedict, who acquires a cup that could lead to a legendary lost colony.
Seeker Jack McDevitt (SFBC #1194338, Nov 2005, $12.50, 360pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Alex Benedict] Reprint (Ace 2005) far-future SF novel, the third featuring Alex Benedict. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Ships in the Night Jack McDevitt (Altair Australia Books 0-9757208-0-5, Mar 2005, $19.95, 314pp, tp, cover by Pär Olofsson) Collection of 14 stories. Introduction by Mike Resnick. Order from Altair Australia, PO Box 475, Blackwood SA 5051 Australia; [www.altair-australia.com]; in the US add $10.00 postage.
- · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- · Nothing Ever Happens in Rock City · ss Artemis Sum, 2001
- · The Far Shore · ss IASFM Jun 82
- · Good Intentions · Jack McDevitt & Stanley Schmidt · nv F&SF Jun 98
- · Times Arrow [Hard Landings] · ss Critical Mass Fll 89
- · Dead in the Water · ss Not of Woman Born, ed. Constance Ash, Roc, 1999
- · Windrider · ss Asimovs Jul 94
- · Deus Tex · ss Realms of Fantasy Feb 96
- · Report from the Rear · ss Aboriginal SF Spr 98
- · Oculus · ss Analog Jul/Aug, 2002
- · Last Contact · ss IASFM Jun 88
- · Midnight Clear · ss Christmas Forever, ed. David G. Hartwell, Tor, 1993
- · Blinker · ss Analog Mar 94
- · The Tomb · ss What Might Have Been? Volume III: Alternate Wars, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam Spectra, 1991
- · Ships in the Night · nv Amazing Oct 93