Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2006
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Odds Are Good Bruce Coville (Harcourt/Magic Carpet 0-15-205716-1, Apr 2006, $6.95, 330pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Omnibus of two YA collections: Oddly Enough (1994) and Odder than Ever (1999).
- ix · How Odd to Know Mr. C. · Jane Yolen · in (*), 2006
- 1 · The Box · ss Dragons & Dreams, ed. Jane Yolen, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Harper & Row, 1986
- 12 · Duffys Jacket · ss Things That Go Bump in the Night, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1989
- 22 · Homeward Bound · ss The Unicorn Treasury, ed. Bruce Coville, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1988
- 40 · With His Head Tucked Underneath His Arm · ss A Wizards Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1993
- 51 · Clean as a Whistle · ss Oddly Enough, Harcourt Brace, 1994
- 73 · The Language of Blood · ss Oddly Enough, Harcourt Brace, 1994
- 97 · Old Glory · ss 2041, ed. Jane Yolen, Delacorte, 1991
- 106 · The Passing of the Pack · ss Werewolves, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, Harper & Row, 1988
- 128 · A Blaze of Glory · ss Oddly Enough, Harcourt Brace, 1994
- 145 · The Golden Sail · ss Odder than Ever, Harcourt Brace, 1999
- 116 · Biscuits of Glory · ss The Haunted House, ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperCollins, 1995
- 177 · I, Earthling · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Aliens, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1994
- 200 · The Giants Tooth · ss Odder than Ever, Harcourt Brace, 1999
- 223 · Theres Nothing Under the Bed · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Nightmares, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1995
- 246 · The Stinky Princess · ss Odder than Ever, Harcourt Brace, 1999
- 268 · The Japanese Mirror · nv A Nightmares Dozen, ed. Michael Stearns, Harcourt Brace, 1996
- 293 · Am I Blue? · ss Am I Blue?, ed. Marion Dane Bauer, HarperCollins, 1994
- 308 · The Metamorphosis of Justin Jones · ss Bruce Covilles Book of Magic II, ed. Bruce Coville, Scholastic/Apple, 1997
Out of the Silence Erle Cox (Capricorn Publishing 0-9774757-3-5, May 2006, $18.00, 248pp, tp) Reprint (Vidler Australia 1925) lost race novel of a seeming eugenic utopia. This is the First Complete Edition with the original text of the 1919 Australian newspaper serial, a 1947 prolog added as an afterword, and a postscript by John Costello discussing the books history and defending it against accusations of racism. This is a print-on-demand book available online at [www.capricornpublishing.com].
Infinite Crisis Greg Cox (Ace 0-441-01444-5, Oct 2006, $15.00, 371pp, tp, cover by Daniel Acuna) Novelization based on characters and events in the DC Comics universe. Introduction by Mark Waid. Copyrighted by DC Comics.
Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh, Volume Three: To Reign in Hell Greg Cox (Pocket 0-7434-5712-9, Jun 2006, $7.99, 374pp, pb, cover by Keith Birdsong) [Star Trek: Eugenics Wars] Reprint (Pocket 1/05) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Jimmy Coates: Assassin? Joe Craig (HarperTrophy 0-06-077265-4, Jul 2006, $5.99, 218pp, tp) [Jimmy Coates] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 3/05 as Jimmy Coates: Killer) young-adult SF novel.
Under the Stone Paw Theresa Crater (Hampton Roads 1-57174-449-5, Jan 2006, $16.95, 342pp, tp) Fantasy novel. A woman inherits an antique necklace and a forgotten family legacy involving keys to secrets buried under the Sphinx. Hampton Roads, 1125 Stoney Ridge Road, Charlottesville VA 22902; [www.hrpub.com].
Mysteries of Von Domarus Gary William Crawford (Gothic Press 0-913045-13-6, Aug 2006, $7.00, 39pp, ph, cover by Bruce Boston) Collection of five stories, all revised. Order from Gothic Press, 1701 Lobdell Ave. No. 32, Baton Rouge LA 70806-8242; [www.gothicpress.com].
- 9 · Mysteries of Von Domarus · ss
- 20 · The Last Dance · ss
- 27 · Last Rites · ss
- 32 · The Other Side · ss
- 37 · The Change in Him · vi
The Naming Alison Croggon (Candlewick Press 0-763-63162-0, Apr 2006, $8.99, 492pp, tp, cover by Matt Mahurin) [Pellinor] Reprint (Penguin Australia 2002 as The Gift) young-adult fantasy novel, the first book in the Pellinor quartet.
The Riddle Alison Croggon (Candlewick Press 0-7636-3015-2, Sep 2006, $17.99, 490pp, hc, cover by Matt Mahurin) [Pellinor] Young-adult fantasy novel, the second book in the Pellinor quartet. Maerad and her mentor seek the answer to the Riddle of the Treesong. First US edition (Penguin Australia 11/04).
Shadowed by Wings Janine Cross (Penguin/Roc 0-451-46089-8, Aug 2006, $14.00, 354pp, tp, cover by Paul Youll) [Dragon Temple Saga] Dark fantasy novel, second in the Dragon Temple Saga after Touched by Venom.
King of the Middle March Kevin Crossley-Holland (Scholastic 0-439-26601-7, Mar 2006, $7.99, 409pp, tp, cover by Greg Call) [Arthur] Reprint (Orion 2003) young-adult Arthurian fantasy, third in the Arthur trilogy.
Little, Big John Crowley (Harper Perennial Modern Classics 0-06-112005-7, Oct 2006, $16.95, 538pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam 1981) fantasy novel. Winner of the 1982 World Fantasy Award.
Lord Byrons Novel: The Evening Land John Crowley (Harper Perennial 0-06-055659-5, Jul 2006, $15.95, 465pp, tp) Reprint (Morrow 2005) associational novel about a gothic novel supposedly written by Byron and rescued by his daughter.
Forbidden Planets ed. Peter Crowther (DAW 0-7564-0330-8, Nov 2006, $7.99, 307pp, pb) Original anthology of 12 SF stories of dangerous worlds. Authors include Paul McAuley, Paul Di Filippo, Stephen Baxter, and Michael Moorcock. Introduction by Ray Bradbury. Afterword by Stephen Baxter. This is copyrighted by Crowther and Martin H. Greenbergs Tekno Books.
EverQuest: The Blood Red Harp Elaine Cunningham (CDS Books 1-59315-224-8, Oct 2006, $6.99, 367pp, pb) [EverQuest] Novelization based on the world of the online roleplaying game. Copyrighted by Sony Computer Entertainment America.
Shadows in the Starlight Elaine Cunningham (Tor 0-765-30971-8, Feb 2006, $23.95, 286pp, hc) [GiGi Gellman] Dark fantasy mystery novel in the Changeling Detective series, sequel to Shadows in the Darkness, featuring Gwen GiGi Gellman.
Specimen Days Michael Cunningham (Farrar Straus Giroux/Picador 0-374-29962-5, May 2006, $14.00, 336pp, tp) Reprint (Farrar Straus Giroux 2005) literary novel with SF and fantasy elements.
Cross Plains Universe: Texans Celebrate Robert E. Howard ed. Scott A. Cupp & Joe R. Lansdale (MonkeyBrain Books/FACT 1-932265-22-8, Oct 2006, no price, 295pp, tp, cover by Gary Gianni) Original anthology of 21 stories paying homage to Robert E. Howard. Co-published by Monkeybrain and the Fandom Association of Central Texas, distributed free to members of the 2006 World Fantasy Convention; there are currently no plans to make it commercially available. Authors include Bradley Denton, Michael Moorcock, Howard Waldrop, and Gene Wolfe. Introduction by Cupp.
The Unseen, Part 4: Sin and Salvation Richie Tankersley Cusick (Penguin/Speak 0-14-240584-1, Mar 2006, $6.99, 377pp, tp, cover by Tony Sahara) [Unseen] Young-adult horror novel, fourth and final in the series. First US edition (Scholastic/Point UK as The Unseen IV).
The Unseen: Blood Brothers Richie Tankersley Cusick (Penguin/Speak 0-14-240583-3, Jan 2006, $6.99, 247pp, tp, cover by Tony Sahara) [Unseen] Young-adult horror novel, third in the series. First US edition (Scholastic Point UK 4/05 as The Unseen III).
Migration Julie E. Czerneda (DAW 0-7564-0346-4, Apr 2006, $7.50, 520pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Species Imperative] Reprint (DAW 2005) SF novel, second in the Species Imperative series.
Regeneration Julie E. Czerneda (DAW 0-7564-0345-6, May 2006, $24.95, 543pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Species Imperative] SF novel, third in the Species Imperative series.
Regeneration Julie E. Czerneda (SFBC #1212820, Jun 2006, $12.49, 543pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Species Imperative] Reprint (DAW 2006) SF novel, third in the Species Imperative series. This is similar to the DAW edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Mythspring ed. Julie E. Czerneda & Genevieve Kierans (Red Deer Press 0-88995-340-6, Mar 2006, $18.95, 304pp, hc, cover by Kenn Brown & Chris Wren) Original anthology of 16 stories inspired by Canadian myths and songs, accompanied by the relevant lyrics or legend. Authors include Charles de Lint, Tanya Huff, and James Alan Gardner. Introduction by Czerneda.
Rite of Passage Richard DAgostino (Medallion Press 1-93-281554-6, Mar 2006, $6.99, 473pp, pb, cover by Adam Mock) Horror novel. An Egyptologist unearths an ancient seal with a prophecy that threatens all mankind. Medallion Press, 225 Seabreeze Ave., Palm Beach FL 33480; [www.medallion press.com].
Collected Stories Roald Dahl (Random House/Everymans Library 0-307-26490-4, Oct 2006, $30.00, 850 + xxxvii, hc) Collection of 51 stories for adults. Introduction by Jeremy Treglown. This includes a chronology. All stories have been previously collected; ten stories were first collected in Over to You (1946), 19 in Someone Like You (1953), 11 in Kiss Kiss (1960), four in Switch Bitch (1974), and two each in Tales of the Unexpected (1979), More Tales of the Unexpected (1980), and Collected Short Stories (1980).
- · Introduction · Jeremy Treglown · in
- · Select Bibliography · Misc. · bi
- · Chronology · Misc. · ms
- · An African Story · ss Over to You, Reynal, 1946
- · Only This · ss Ladies Home Journal Sep 44
- · Katina · nv Ladies Home Journal Mar 44
- · Beware of the Dog · ss Harpers Oct 44
- · They Shall Not Grow Old · ss Ladies Home Journal Mar 45
- · Someone Like You · ss Town & Country Nov 45
- · Death of an Old Old Man · ss Ladies Home Journal Sep 45
- · Madame Rosette · nv Harpers Aug 45
- · A Piece of Cake · ss The Saturday Evening Post, 1943
- · Yesterday Was Beautiful · ss Over to You, Reynal, 1946
- · Nunc Dimittis [The Devious Bachelor] · ss Colliers Sep 4 53
- · Skin · ss New Yorker May 17 52
- · Man from the South [Collectors Item] · ss Colliers Sep 4 48
- · The Soldier · ss Someone Like You, Knopf, 1953
- · The Sound Machine · ss New Yorker Sep 17 49
- · Mr. Botibol · nv More Tales of the Unexpected, Michael Joseph, 1980
- · Vengeance Is Mine Inc. · ss More Tales of the Unexpected, Michael Joseph, 1980
- · The Wish · ss, 1948
- · Poison · ss Colliers Jun 3 50
- · Taste · ss New Yorker Dec 8 51
- · Dip in the Pool · ss New Yorker Jan 19 52
- · The Great Automatic Grammatisator · ss Someone Like You, Knopf, 1953
- · Clauds Dog · gp Someone Like You, Knopf, 1953; The Ratcatcher, ss; Rummins, ss; Mr. Hoddy, ss; Mr. Feasey [Dog Race], nv New Yorker Jul 25 53
- · My Lady Love, My Dove · ss New Yorker Jun 21 52
- · Neck · ss Someone Like You, Knopf, 1953
- · Lamb to the Slaughter · ss Harpers Sep 53
- · Galloping Foxley · ss Town & Country Nov 53
- · Edward the Conqueror · ss New Yorker Oct 31 53
- · The Way Up to Heaven · ss New Yorker Feb 27 54
- · William and Mary · nv Kiss Kiss, Knopf, 1959
- · Parsons Pleasure · nv Esquire Apr 58
- · Georgy Porgy · nv Kiss Kiss, Knopf, 1959
- · Mrs. Bixby and the Colonels Coat · ss Nugget Dec 59
- · Royal Jelly · nv Kiss Kiss, Knopf, 1959
- · The Champion of the World · nv New Yorker Jan 31 59
- · Genesis and Catastrophe [A Fine Son] · ss Playboy Dec 59
- · Pig · ss Kiss Kiss, Knopf, 1959
- · The Landlady · ss New Yorker Nov 28 59
- · The Visitor · nv Playboy May 65
- · The Last Act · nv Playboy Jan 66
- · The Great Switcheroo · nv Playboy Apr 74
- · The Butler · ss More Tales of the Unexpected, Michael Joseph, 1980
- · Bitch · nv Playboy Jul 74
- · Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life · ss [use TlSnM], 1974
- · The Hitch-Hiker · ss Atlantic Monthly Jul 77
- · The Umbrella Man · ss More Tales of the Unexpected, Michael Joseph, 1980
- · The Bookseller · ss Playboy Jan 87
- · The Surgeon · nv Playboy Jan 88
- · Appendix: Dates of Composition and First Publication · Misc. · ms
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters Gordon Dahlquist (Bantam 0-385-34035-4, Aug 2006, $26.00, 760pp, hc, cover by Shasti OLeary Soudant) [Glass Books of the Dream Eaters] Fantasy novel. A woman dumped by her fiancé seeks answers and uncovers a conspiracy out to rule the world through sex and dreams.
Sin-a-Rama: Sleaze Sex Paperbacks of the Sixties ed. Brittany A. Daley, Hedi Kholti, Earl Kemp & et al (Feral House 1-932595-05-8, Feb 2005, $24.95, 287pp, hc, cover by Robert Bonfils) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to 1960s sex books whose pseudonymous authors included Marion Zimmer Bradley, Harlan Ellison, and Robert Silverberg, who provides an essay on My Life as a Pornographer. Includes profiles/interviews with 13 authors, as well as discussion of the publishing business, typical themes (including SF and Some Weird Sin), and pseudonyms. Lavishly illustrated with color cover images. This is dated 2005, but not seen until now. Feral House, PO Box 39910, Los Angeles CA 90039; [www.feralhouse.com].
Encyclopedia of Fantasy and Horror Fiction Don DAmmassa (Infobase Publishing/Checkmark Books 0-8160-6924-7, Mar 2006, $21.95, 488 + viii, tp) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to major authors and works. Includes index and bibliographies. A hardcover edition (-6192-0, $65.00) was announced but not seen.
Haven Don DAmmassa (Gale Group/Five Star 1-4104-0250-9, Mar 2006, $13.95, 291pp, tp, cover by Christopher Wait) Reprint (Five Star 2004) SF mystery novel.
Charmed to Death Shirley Damsgaard (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-079353-8, Apr 2006, $6.99, 288pp, pb) [Ophelia and Abby] Fantasy mystery novel, sequel to Witch Way to Murder in the Ophelia and Abby series about a reluctant psychic Ophelia and her witch grandmother.
The Trouble With Witches Shirley Damsgaard (HarperCollins/Avon 0-06-079358-9, Sep 2006, $6.99, 292pp, pb) [Ophelia and Abby] Fantasy mystery novel, third in the Ophelia and Abby series about reluctant psychic Ophelia and her witch grandmother. Ophelia and Abby search for a missing teen in Minnesota.
House of Leaves Mark Z. Danielewski (Random House/Pantheon 0-375-70376-4, May 2006, $19.95, 709pp, tp) Reissue (Pantheon 2000) literary horror novel. This is a second edition, marked the Remastered Full-Color Edition, with a sticker for Only Revolution on the cover; it retains the 2000 copyright, and indicates 16th printing.
Only Revolutions Mark Z. Danielewski (Random House/Pantheon 0-375-42176-9, Sep 2006, $26.00, 360pp, hc) Experimental road-trip novel/poem about two perennial 16-year-olds across two centuries. Sam and Hailey each tell their own story in a variation on double format, with the stories on the same pages but running upside down to each other in opposite directions; select letters and words are printed in green, yellow, or red-violet; the multi-color page numbers rotate flip-book style.
DragonLance: The Companions Tina Daniell (TSR 1-56076-340-X, Jun 2006, $5.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [DragonLance: Meetings] Reprint (TSR 1992) novelization based on the roleplaying game, the sixth and final volume in the Meetings series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Escape from Earth: New Adventures in Space ed. Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois (SFBC #1173478, Aug 2006, $13.99, 420 + viii, hc, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Young-adult original anthology of seven SF stories. Authors include Kage Baker, Orson Scott Card, and Joe Haldeman.
Futures Past ed. Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois (Ace 0-441-01454-2, Nov 2006, $7.99, 290pp, pb) SF anthology of 14 stories of attempts to change history. Authors include L. Sprague de Camp, Roger Zelazny, and Kage Baker.
- ix · Preface · Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois · pr
- 1 · Aristotle and the Gun · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Astounding Feb 58
- 41 · Sitka · William Sanders · ss Asimovs Apr/May, 2004
- 57 · The Only Game in Town [Manse Everard (Time Patrol)] · Poul Anderson · nv F&SF Jan 60
- 93 · Playing the Game · Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois · ss Twilight Zone Feb 82
- 102 · Killing the Morrow · Robert Reed · ss Starlight 1, ed. Patrick Nielsen Hayden, Tor, 1996
- 118 · Thus We Frustrate Charlemagne · R. A. Lafferty · ss Galaxy Feb 67
- 131 · The Game of Blood and Dust · Roger Zelazny · ss Galaxy Apr 75
- 137 · Calling Your Name · Howard Waldrop · ss Stars: Original Stories Based on the Songs of Janis Ian, ed. Janis Ian and Mike Resnick, DAW, 2003
- 153 · What Rough Beast? · Damon Knight · nv F&SF Feb 59
- 185 · O Brave Old World! · Avram Davidson · nv Beyond Time, ed. Sandra Ley, Pocket, 1976
- 202 · Radiant Doors · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Sep 98
- 221 · The Hotel at Harlans Landing [The Company] · Kage Baker · ss Black Projects, White Knights, Golden Gryphon Press, 2002
- 237 · Mozart in Mirrorshades · Bruce Sterling & Lewis Shiner · ss Omni Sep 85
- 256 · Under Siege · George R. R. Martin · nv Omni Oct 85