Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2006
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Seventh Heaven: Supernatural Stories Naguib Mahfouz (Random House/Anchor 0-307-27714-3, Dec 2006, $12.95, 164 + xxiv, tp) Reprint (American University in Cairo Press 2006, not seen) collection of 13 stories. Selected, introduced, and translated from the Arabic by Raymond Stock.
Ex Cathedra Rebecca Maines (Twilight Tales 0-9779856-0-1, Jun 2006, $12.00, 165pp, tp) Collection of 11 stories, four original. Three were originally written as by Pamela D. Hodgson. Twilight Tales, PO Box 817, Chicago IL 60614; [www.TwilightTales.com].
- 9 · Sarah, Who Speaks to the Lord · ss Daughter of Dangerous Dames, ed. Tina L. Jens, Twilight Tales, 2000
- 20 · Plowshares · ss Marion Zimmer Bradleys Sword and Sorceress XXI, ed. Diana L. Paxson, DAW, 2004
- 33 · The Age of Maturity [as by Pamela D. Hodgson] · ss Blood Muse, Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg, Fine, 1995
- 47 · Things Left Undone · ss *
- 67 · They Still Play the Blues in Chicago · ss *
- 74 · The Next Ted Williams · ss www.maines.org, 2002
- 87 · Lockdown · ss *
- 99 · Returned Mail from EALTGELD [as by Pamela D. Hodgson] · ss Twilight Tales Presents #2 98
- 111 · Liquidation · ss MarsDust, 2004
- 127 · PRAVI · ss *
- 147 · The Canterbury Path [as by Pamela D. Hodgson] · ss F&SF Aug 95
- 167 · About the Author · Misc. · bg *
Heinleins Children: The Juveniles Joseph T. Major (Advent:Publishers 0-911682-33-3, Feb 2006, $25.00, 535 + xvi, hc) Non-fiction discussion of Heinleins juvenile novels, a chatty examination of each books plot while using it as a springboard to discuss aspects including Heinleins intent, editorial contribution, and cultural/historical context. All but one of the chapters were previously published in different form in FOSFAX. Introduction by Alexei Panshin. Includes bibliography and index. Order from Advent:Publishers, PO Box A3228, Chicago IL 60690; 773-725-5447; postage included in price. [Robert A. Heinlein]
The Mirror Prince Violette Malan (DAW 0-7564-0339-1, Jul 2006, $15.00, 309pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) Fantasy novel. A history professor learns hes really a faerie Prince Guardian from another world, and his life is in danger. A first novel.
The Mirror Prince Violette Malan (SFBC #1209306, Jul 2006, $12.99, 309pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) Reprint (DAW 2006) fantasy novel. This has ISBN 978-0-7394-7118-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril Paul Malmont (Simon & Schuster 0-7432-8785-1, Jun 2006, $24.00, 371pp, hc) Pulp adventure with some some weird science and possible fantasy elements, featuring Walter Gibson and Lester Dent, creators of The Shadow and Doc Savage, with L. Ron Hubbard in the 1930s, investigating crimes and encountering a multitude of pulp writers.
Move Under Ground Nick Mamatas (Wildside Press/Prime Books 0-8095-5673-1, Jul 2006, $14.95, 158pp, tp, cover by Travis Anthony Soumis) Reprint (Night Shade Books 2004) Lovecraftian Beat road novel. Prime Books, 9710 Traville Gateway Dr. #234, Rockville MD 20850; [www.prime-books.com]
Boys That Bite Mari Mancusi (Berkley Jam 0-425-20942-3, Apr 2006, $9.99, 262pp, tp) [Rayne McDonald] Young-adult vampire novel. Sunshine is accidentally bitten by her twin sisters vampire boyfriend, and needs to find a cure fast.
Stake That! Mari Mancusi (Berkley Jam 0-425-21210-6, Dec 2006, $9.99, 280pp, tp) [Rayne McDonald] Young-adult vampire novel, sequel to Boys that Bite. Rayne McDonald is a vampire slayer whod rather be a vampire.
Beyond Black Hilary Mantel (Holt/Picador 0-312-42605-4, May 2006, $14.00, 416pp, tp) Reprint (Holt 2005) fantasy novel of a psychic and her assistant in contemporary England. A John Macrae book.
Snake Moon Ray Manzarek (Night Shade Books 1-59780-041-4, Apr 2006, $23.95, 202pp, hc, cover by Mike Mignola) Dark fantasy novel. Two men from backwoods Tennessee during the Civil War set out to seek their destiny. Based on an original screenplay by Manzarek & Rick Valentine, who provides an afterword. A limited edition (-042-2, $49.00) is also available. Night Shade Books, 1470 NW Saltzman Road, Portland OR 97229; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
The People of the Sea Scott Marcano (Infinity Publishing.com 0-7414-2730-3, Nov 2005, $16.95, 273pp, tp) Fantasy novel. Two lovers lost on the Great Sea find a possible home, but must first choose sides in a war between good and evil. This is dated 2005 but not seen until now. Infinity Publishing.com, 1094 New DeHaven Street, Suite 100, West Conshohocken PA 19428-2713; 877-BUY-BOOK; [www.buybooksontheweb.com].
Twilight Rising, Serpents Dream Diana Marcellas (Tor 0-812-56179-1, Mar 2006, $7.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea] Reprint (Tor 2004) fantasy novel, third in a trilogy begun in Mother Ocean, Daughter Sea.
The Sword of Angels John Marco (DAW 0-7564-0360-X, Jul 2006, $7.99, 980pp, pb, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Eyes of God] Reprint (DAW 2005) fantasy novel, the final book in the trilogy begun in The Eyes of God.
The Wand in the Word: Conversations with Writers of Fantasy Leonard S. Marcus (Candlewick Press 0-7636-2625-2, Mar 2006, $19.99, 202pp, hc, cover by Steve Cieslawski) Young-adult non-fiction, a collection of interviews with 13 fantasy writers including Lloyd Alexander, Ursula K. Le Guin, Garth Nix, and Philip Pullman.
Blade of Fortriu Juliet Marillier (Tor 0-765-30996-3, Oct 2006, $27.95, 496pp, hc, cover by Vince Natale) [Bridei Chronicles] Fantasy novel, second in the Bridei Chronicles. First US edition (Pan Macmillan Australia 9/05)
The Dark Mirror Juliet Marillier (Tor 0-765-30998-X, Jun 2006, $15.95, 512pp, tp, cover by Vince Natale) [Bridei Chronicles] Reprint (Pan Macmillan Australia 2004) fantasy novel, first in the Bridei Chronicles.
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders, Volume I: Ghost of the Wall Jeff Mariotte (Ace 0-441-01379-1, Feb 2006, $6.99, 228pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders] Fantasy novel, the first in a new trilogy set in the world of Robert E. Howards Conan.
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders, Volume II: Winds of the Wild Sea Jeff Mariotte (Ace 0-441-01386-4, Apr 2006, $6.99, 227pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders] Novelization in a series based on the world created by Robert E. Howard, the second volume in a subseries.
Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders, Volume III: Dawn of the Ice Bear Jeff Mariotte (Ace 0-441-01392-9, Jun 2006, $6.99, 231pp, pb, cover by Justin Sweet) [Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Marauders] Novelization based on the world created by Robert E. Howard, the third part of a trilogy. Copyrighted by Conan Properties International.
Darkness Be My Friend John Marsden (Scholastic/Point 0-439-85802-X, Oct 2006, $8.99, 259pp, tp) [Tomorrow] Reprint (Pan Macmillan Australia 1996) young-adult Australian near-future adventure, fourth in the Tomorrow series.
A Feast for Crows George R. R. Martin (Bantam Spectra 0-553-58202-X, Oct 2006, $7.99, 1060pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reprint (Voyager 2005) fantasy novel, book four of A Song of Ice and Fire.
The Ice Dragon George R. R. Martin (Tor/Starscape 0-765-31631-5, Oct 2006, $12.95, 107pp, hc, cover by Yvonne Gilbert) Reprint (Ace 1980 as part of Dragons of Light) young-adult fantasy novella. Illustrated by Yvonne Gilbert.
Scent of Roses Kat Martin (Harlequin/Mira 0-7783-2326-9, Jun 2006, $7.99, 415pp, pb) [Scent of Roses] Paranormal romance/ghost story. A family counselor investigates a farm workers ghost sighting and uncovers dark secrets in the farms past.
Star Trek: Enterprise: Last Full Measure Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels (Pocket 1-4165-0358-7, May 2006, $7.99, 336pp, pb) [Star Trek: Enterprise] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Gils All Fright Diner A. Lee Martinez (Tor 0-765-35001-7, Jul 2006, $6.99, 268pp, pb, cover by Jeff Soto) Reprint (Tor 2005) humorous dark fantasy novel.
In the Company of Ogres A. Lee Martinez (Tor 0-765-31547-5, Aug 2006, $13.95, 352pp, tp, cover by Jeff Soto) Humorous fantasy novel. Never Dead Ned has to whip the motley monsters of Ogre Company into shape.
Quantumscapes: The Art of Stephan Martiniere Stephan Martiniere (Design Studio Press 1-933492-51-1, Dec 2006, $19.95, 95pp, tp, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Art book, the second in the Quantum series, collecting art from the last three years including book covers, film concepts, video game and card-game illustrations, with notes on each by the artist. Introduction by Lorne Lanning. Design Studio Press, 8577 Higuera Street, Culver City CA 90232; [www.designstudiopress.com].
Counting Heads David Marusek (SFBC #1197742, Jan 2006, $12.50, 336pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Tor 2005) SF novel based on his award-winning story We Were Out of Our Minds With Joy about a complex overcrowded future Earth. This is similar to the Tor edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Bestiary Robert Masello (Berkley 0-425-21280-7, Nov 2006, $7.99, 456pp, pb, cover by Mark Gerber) Horror novel. An ancient manuscript looses a deadly curse. Sequel to The Vigil.
The Wandmakers Guidebook Ed Masessa & Daniel Jankowski (Scholastic/Tangerine Press 0-439-86265-5, Oct 2006, $19.99, 20pp, hc, cover by Daniel Jankowski) Art book, a guide to making wands supposedly written by Master Wandmaker Coralis, with text by Masessa and illustrations by Jankowski. Includes fold-outs, enclosures, and a wand kit, etc.
Twisted Tales Brandon Massey (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-1353-0, Jun 2006, $6.99, 314pp, pb) Original collection of 14 horror stories.
- 7 · Daddys Little Girl · nv *
- 28 · The Sting · ss *
- 51 · After the Party · ss *
- 59 · The Secret Door · nv *
- 80 · Hitcher · nv *
- 102 · Predators · ss *
- 120 · Nostalgia · nv *
- 143 · A Walk Through Darkness · ss *
- 160 · The Monster · ss *
- 172 · Death Notice · ss *
- 187 · The Woman Next Door · nv *
- 214 · Flight 463 · nv *
- 236 · Presumed Dead · ss *
- 255 · The Last Train Home · nv *
- 294 · Notes on the Stories · ms *
Within the Shadows Brandon Massey (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-1070-1, Jan 2007, $6.99, 444pp, pb) Reprint (Dafina 2005) horror novel.
Dark Dreams II: Voices from the Other Side ed. Brandon Massey (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-1232-1, Apr 2006, $15.00, 290pp, tp) Original anthology of 17 stories of horror and suspense by Black authors, several with supernatural or SF elements. Authors include L.A. Banks, Eric Jerome Dickey, and Tananarive Due.
Snow, Fire, Sword Sophie Masson (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-079091-1, May 2006, $15.99, 359pp, hc, cover by Harvey Chan) Young-adult contemporary fantasy novel of Indonesia. First US edition (Random House Australia 2004).
Night Wars Graham Masterton (Leisure 0-8439-5427-2, Sep 2006, $6.99, 354pp, pb) [Night Warriors] Horror novel, the fourth volume in the Night Warriors series.
Bloodlines: Richard Mathesons Dracula, I Am Legend and Other Vampire Stories Richard Matheson (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-88-4, Oct 2006, $85.00, 520pp, hc, cover by Harry O. Morris) Collection of vampire works: three short stories, the novel I Am Legend (1954) and a screenplay version, plus a script for TV movie Bram Stokers Dracula, cast lists and pictures from various movies. Edited with preface, introductions, and an appendix by Mark Dawidziak. Appreciations by John Carpenter, Frank Spotnitz, Mick Garris, Richard Christian Matheson, Steve Niles, Rockne S. OBannon, and Ray Bradbury. This is a signed, limited edition of 500.
- · Appreciation One: Under the Influence · John Carpenter · ar
- · Introduction One: Richard the Writer, Vlad the Impaler, and Dracula the Script · Mark Dawidziak · in
- · Appreciation Two: X Marked the Spot · Frank Spotnitz · ar
- · Dracula: Richard Mathesons Script Treatment · ms
- · Cast and Credits for Bram Stokers Dracula (1974) · Misc. · ms
- · Bram Stokers Dracula: The Script · pl
- · Gallery A: Pictures from Dracula & The Night Stalker · Misc. · pi
- · Appreciation Three: Discovering Matheson · Mark Garris · ar
- · Introduction Two: The Unfilmed Legend · Mark Dawidziak · in
- · The Motion Picture Association Letter: The Night Creatures (1957) · Misc. · ms
- · The Night Creatures Script: from Richard Mathesons novel I Am Legend · pl
- · Appreciation Four: The Son Also Apprises · Richard Christian Matheson · ar
- · Richard Mathesons I Am Legend: The Novel (1954) · n. New York: Fawcett, 1954
- · Appreciation Five: Matheson and Me · Steve Niles · ar
- · Casts and Credits for The Last Man on Earth (1964) · Misc. · ms
- · Casts and Credits for The Omega Man (1971) · Misc. · ms
- · Gallery B: Pictures from I Am Legend, The Last Man on Earth & The Omega Man · Misc. · pi
- · Appreciation Six: Confessions of an Addict · Rockne S. OBannon · ar
- · Introduction Three: The Short Stories · Mark Dawidziak · ar
- · Blood Son [Drink My Red Blood] · ss Imagination Apr 51
- · The Funeral · ss F&SF Apr 55
- · No Such Thing as a Vampire · ss Playboy Oct 59
- · Cast and Credits for The Funeral (1972) · Misc. · ms
- · Cast and Credits for No Such Thing as a Vampire (1977) · Misc. · ms
- · Gallery C: Pictures from The Funeral & No Such Thing as a Vampire · Misc. · pi
- · Appreciation Seven: Looks Like the Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship · Ray Bradbury · ar
I Am Legend/Hell House Richard Matheson (SFBC/QPBC #1216770, Sep 2006, $14.49, 301pp, tp) Omnibus of collection I Am Legend (Tor 1995) and novel Hell House (1971). This has ISBN 978-1-58288-233-8; it lacks a price and has the book club number on the back cover.
- 5 · I Am Legend · co New York: Tor, 1995
- 11 · I Am Legend · n. New York: Fawcett, 1954
- 171 · Buried Talents · ss Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 179 · The Near Departed · vi Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 182 · Prey · ss Playboy Apr 69
- 196 · Witch War · ss Startling Stories Jul 51
- 203 · Dance of the Dead · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #3, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1954
- 221 · Dress of White Silk · ss F&SF Oct 51
- 226 · Mad House · nv Fantastic Jan/Feb 53
- 261 · The Funeral · ss F&SF Apr 55
- 270 · From Shadowed Places · nv F&SF Oct 60
- 294 · Person to Person · ss Twilight Zone Apr 89
-  · Hell House · n. New York: Viking, 1971
Warring States Susan R. Matthews (Meisha Merlin 1-59222-094-0, Jan 2006, $16.95, 395pp, tp, cover by Chris McGrath) [Judiciary] SF novel, set in the world of the Judiciary. Andrej Koscuisko takes advantage of unrest to try to free his bond-involuntary Security slaves. A hardcover edition (-093-2, $24.95) is also available.
Ironcrown Moon Julian May (Ace 0-441-01299-X, Apr 2006, $7.99, 450pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Boreal Moon Tale] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2004) fantasy novel, second book in the Boreal Moon Tale.
Sorcerers Moon Julian May (Ace 0-441-01383-X, Aug 2006, $25.95, 451pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Boreal Moon Tale] Fantasy novel, third book in the Boreal Moon Tale. Simultaneous with the Voyager UK edition.
Shelter L. H. Maynard & M. P. N. Sims (Leisure 0-8439-5706-9, Jul 2006, $6.99, 321pp, pb) Horror novel. Something deadly lurks under an abandoned house.
Venous Hum Suzette Mayr (Arsenal Pulp Press 1-55152-170-9, Apr 2005, $16.95, 231pp, tp) Satiric near-future horror novel of lesbians, suburbia, and cannibalistic undead vegetarians. This first US edition was scheduled for 2005 but not seen until now, and is identical to the Canadian. Arsenal Pulp Press, 341 Water Street, Suite 200, Vancouver BC Canada V6B 1B8; 604-687-4233; 888-600-PULP; [www.arsenalpulp.com].
The Mistmantle Chronicles: Book One: Urchin of the Riding Stars M. I. McAllister (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5487-1, Sep 2006, $7.99, 282pp, tp, cover by Omar Rayyan) [Mistmantle Chronicles] Reprint (Bloomsbury UK 2005) young-adult animal fantasy novel, first in a series.
Transgressions: Ed McBain: Merely Hate/Walter Mosley: Walking the Line/Donald E. Westlake: Walking Around Money ed. Ed McBain (Tor/Forge 0-765-34752-0, Oct 2006, $7.99, 431pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2005 as part of Transgressions) associational anthology of three mystery novellas.
Transgressions: John Farris: The Ransome Women/Stephen King: The Things They Left Behind ed. Ed McBain (Tor/Forge 0-765-34751-2, Sep 2006, $7.99, 304pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2005 as part of Transgressions) associational anthology of two mystery novellas by John Farris and Stephen King.
Transgressions: Lawrence Block: Kellers Adjustment/Jeffrey Deaver: Forever ed. Ed McBain (Tor/Forge 0-765-34750-4, Aug 2006, $7.99, 339pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2005 as part of Transgressions) associational anthology, the first breakup volume from the original Transgressions, with two mystery novellas by authors Lawrence Block and Jeffrey Deaver.
Transgressions: Sharyn McCrumb: The Resurrection Man/Joyce Carol Oates: The Corn Maiden/Anne Perry: Hostages ed. Ed McBain (Tor/Forge 0-765-35419-5, Nov 2006, $7.99, 402pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 2005 as part of Transgressions) associational anthology of two mystery novellas by Sharyn McCrumb and Joyce Carol Oates.
Dragonriders Dawn Anne McCaffrey (SFBC #1210697, May 2006, $13.99, 599pp, hc, cover by Les Edwards) [Pern] Omnibus of two novels in the Pern series: Dragonsdawn (1988) and The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall (1993).
- 1 · Dragonsdawn · n. New York: Del Rey, 1988
- 367 · Chronicles of Pern: First Fall · co New York: Del Rey, 1993
- 373 · Timeline · Misc. · ms
- 379 · The Survey: P.E.R.N.c [The P.E.R.N. Survey] · ss Amazing Sep 93
- 393 · The Dolphins Bell · na Newark NJ: The Wildside Press, 1993
- 439 · The Ford of Red Hanrahan · nv The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, Bantam UK, 1993
- 479 · The Second Weyr · na The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, Bantam UK, 1993
- 531 · Rescue Run · na Analog Aug 91; illus. Pern
Dragonsong Anne McCaffrey (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 1-4169-2499-X, May 2006, $2.99, 192pp, tp, cover by Greg Call) [Pern] Reissue (Atheneum 1976) young-adult novel in the Pern series, first in the Harper Hall trilogy.
An Exchange of Gifts Anne McCaffrey (Wildside Press 0-8095-5685-5, Apr 2006, $10.00, 90pp, tp, cover by Pat Morrissey) Reissue (Wildside Press 1995) fantasy novelette or short story. Second printing. Wildside Press, 9710 Traville Gateway Dr. #234, Rockville MD 20850; [www.wildsidepress.com].
If Wishes Were Horses Anne McCaffrey (Wildside Press 1-55742-318-0, Feb 2006, $10.00, 91pp, tp, cover by Charles Bernard) Reprint (Roc 1998) fantasy novella.
Dragons Fire Anne & Todd McCaffrey (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-48028-7, Aug 2006, $24.95, 366pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Pern] SF novel in the Pern series.
Dragons Fire Anne & Todd McCaffrey (SFBC #1214698, Aug 2006, $14.99, 366pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [Pern] Reprint (Del Rey 2006) SF novel in the Pern series. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Acornas Children: First Warning Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-052539-8, Jul 2006, $7.99, 357pp, pb, cover by Chris McGrath) [Acornas Children] Reprint (Eos 2005) SF novel based on a comic-book idea by McCaffrey, first in a new series that picks up with the next generation after the Acorna the Unicorn Girl series.