Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2006
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
This Is My Funniest: Leading Science Fiction Writers Present Their Funniest Stories Ever ed. Mike Resnick (BenBella Books 978-1-932100-95-2, Oct 2006, $14.95, 427pp, tp, cover by Ralph Voltz) Anthology of 29 humorous SF stories chosen and introduced by their authors, including Harry Harrison, Spider Robinson, Esther Friesner, and Connie Willis. BenBella Books, 6440 N. Central Expressway, Suite 508, Dallas TX 75206; [www.benbellabooks.com].
- 1 · Introduction · Mike Resnick · in
- 3 · Space Rats of the C.C.C. · Harry Harrison · nv Final Stage, ed. Edward L. Ferman & Barry N. Malzberg, Charterhouse, 1974
- 17 · The Lemon-Green Spaghetti-Loud Dynamite-Dribble Day [Did Your Coffee Taste Funny This Morning?] · William Tenn · ss Cavalier Jan 67
- 31 · Dick W. and His Pussy; or, Tess and Her Adequate Dick · Jane Yolen · ss A Dick for a Day: What Would You Do If You Had One?, ed. Fiona Giles, Indigo, 1997
- 37 · Night of the Cooters · Howard Waldrop · nv Omni Apr 87
- 59 · A Delightful Comedic Premise · Barry N. Malzberg · ss F&SF Feb 74
- 69 · The Capo of Darkness · Laura Resnick · ss Vengeance Fantastic, ed. Denise Little, DAW, 2002
- 83 · Franz Kafka, Superhero! · David Gerrold · ss By Any Other Fame, ed. Mike Resnick & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 99 · Too Hot to Hoot [from Callahans Legacy] · Spider Robinson · ex New York: Tor, 1996
- 113 · Amanda and the Alien · Robert Silverberg · ss Omni May 83
- 131 · Faith · James Patrick Kelly · nv IASFM Jun 89
- 155 · The Growling · Jody Lynn Nye · ss Chicks in Chainmail, ed. Esther Friesner, Baen, 1995
- 171 · Alien Radio · Nick DiChario · ss The Ultimate Alien, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt & Keith R. A. DeCandido, Dell/DTP, 1995
- 183 · Primordial Chili · Tom Gerencer · ss Science Fiction Age Nov 99
- 193 · The Dog Said Bow-Wow [Surplus & Darger] · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2001
- 213 · Sweet, Savage Sorcerer · Esther Friesner · ss Amazing Jan 90
- 221 · The Hanging Curve · Gardner Dozois · ss F&SF Apr, 2002
- 235 · Deus Tex · Jack McDevitt · ss Realms of Fantasy Feb 96
- 247 · The Flim-Flam Alien · Ralph Roberts · vi Amazing Jun 82
- 255 · Present · Kristine Kathryn Rusch · ss The Retrieval Artist and Other Stories, Five Star, 2002
- 267 · Youll Catch Your Death of Colds · Bill Fawcett · ss Dont Forget Your Spacesuit, Dear, ed. Jody Lynn Nye, Baen, 1996
- 279 · The Usurper Memos · Josepha Sherman · ss Villains Victorious, ed. Martin H. Greenberg & John Helfers, DAW, 2001
- 293 · Patent Infringement · Nancy Kress · ss Asimovs May, 2002
- 305 · Ickies in Mirrorshades · David Brin · ss, 2004
- 313 · Ligdan and the Young Pretender · Walter Jon Williams · nv There Will Be War v6, ed. Jerry E. Pournelle, Tor, 1987
- 339 · A !Tangled Web · Joe Haldeman · ss Analog Sep 14 81
- 365 · Revolt of the Sugar Plum Fairies · Mike Resnick · ss After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 379 · Myth Manners Guide to Greek Missology #1: Andromeda and Perseus · Harry Turtledove · ss Chicks n Chained Males, ed. Esther Friesner, Baen, 1999
- 393 · The Soul Selects Her Own Society: Invasion and Repulsion: A Chronological Reinterpretation of Two of Emily Dickinsons Poems: A Wellsian Perspective · Connie Willis · ss Asimovs Apr 96
- 403 · Cordle to Onion to Carrot · Robert Sheckley · ss Playboy Dec 69
- 421 · Contributors · Misc. · bg
Worldcon Guest of Honor Speeches ed. Mike Resnick & Joe Siclari (ISFiC Press 0-9759156-3-0, Aug 2006, $30.00, 309pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Non-fiction anthology of 31 speeches by Worldcon guests of honor, from Frank R. Paul in 1939 to Christopher Priest in 2005. Other authors include Robert A. Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, and Gene Wolfe. ISFiC Press, 707 Sapling Lane, Deerfield IL 60015; [www.isficpress.com].
Century Rain Alastair Reynolds (Ace 0-441-01307-4, Jun 2006, $7.99, 626pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Gollancz 2004) SF novel.
Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days Alastair Reynolds (Ace 0-441-01278-7, Jan 2006, $7.99, 296pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Inhibitor] Reprint (Gollancz 2003) collection/omnibus of two novellas set in the Revolution Space universe, both originally published in 2002 in slightly different versions as separate books: Diamond Dogs (PS Publishing) and Turquoise Days (Golden Gryphon).
Pushing Ice Alastair Reynolds (Ace 0-441-01401-1, Jun 2006, $25.95, 458pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) SF novel. Comet miners follow a moon of Saturn that suddenly speeds out of the solar system. First US edition (Gollancz 10/05).
Pushing Ice Alastair Reynolds (SFBC #1211524, Jun 2006, $12.99, 457pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Gollance 2005) SF novel. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Zima Blue and Other Stories Alastair Reynolds (Night Shade Books 1-59780-058-9, Sep 2006, $26.95, 280pp, hc, cover by Chris Mayernik) Collection of ten stories, one original, and one somewhat revised. Introduction by Paul J. McAuley. A signed, limited edition of 150 ($49.00, -059-7) with added story Digital to Analogue is also available. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Ave., San Francisco CA 94122; 415-759-8901; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- · Introduction · Paul J. McAuley · in *
- · The Real Story [Carrie Clay] · nv Mars Probes, ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, 2002
- · Beyond the Aquila Rift · nv Constellations, ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, 2005
- · Enola · ss Interzone Dec 91; revised version.
- · Signal to Noise [Signal] · nv *
- · Hideaway [Merlin] · nv Interzone Jul, 2000
- · Merlins Gun [Merlin] · nv Asimovs May, 2000
- · Angels of Ashes · nv Asimovs Jul 99
- · Spirey and the Queen · nv Interzone Jun 96
- · Understanding Space and Time · na Understanding Space and Time, Alastair Reynolds, Novacon Booklet, 2005
- · Zima Blue [Carrie Clay] · ss Postscripts Sum, 2005
- · Digital to Analogue · nv In Dreams, ed. Paul J. McAuley & Kim Newman, London: Gollancz, 1992; in limited edition only.
Warhammer: Mark of Chaos Anthony Reynolds (BL Publishing/Black Library US 1-84416-396-2, Nov 2006, $7.99, 410pp, tp, cover by Gergo Sziptner) Novelization based on the computer game based on the roleplaying game. Copyrighted by Games Workshop. This first US edition has the same ISBN as the Black Library UK (10/06) edition, but only lists US and Canadian prices.
Golden Age SF: Tales of a Bygone Future Eric T. Reynolds (Hadley Rille Books 0-9785148-0-7, Aug 2006, $24.95, 292pp, hc, cover by Chesley Bonestell) Original anthology of 16 SF stories, three reprints, written in old-fashioned pulp style. Authors include Stephen Baxter, Terry Bisson, Robert Sheckley, and Mike Resnick. Foreword by Arthur C. Clarke. Hadley Rille Books, PO Box 25466, Overland Park KS 66225-5466; [www.bygonefutures.com].
Criss Cross Evie Rhodes (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-0872-3, Feb 2006, $14.00, 240pp, tp) Supernatural thriller. A homicide detectives mind is connected to a serial killers.
Out A Order Evie Rhodes (Kensington/Dafina 0-7582-1666-1, Jan 2007, $14.00, 222pp, tp) Supernatural thriller. An ex-con seeking his daughters killer discovers an evil spirit is infecting the Central Ward of Newark, New Jersey.
The Four Forges Jenna Rhodes (DAW 0-7564-0274-3, May 2006, $23.95, 554pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Elven Ways] Fantasy novel, book one of The Elven Ways. Tensions build between the natives of Kaerith and their Vaelinar rulers from another world. Rhodes is a pseudonym for Rhondi V. Salsitz.
A Nightmare on Elm Street: Perchance to Dream Natasha Rhodes (BL Publishing/Black Flame US 1-84416-322-9, Mar 2006, $7.99, 412pp, pb) [Nightmare on Elm Street] Novelization based on characters from the movies. Copyrighted by New Line Cinema. This has the same ISBN as the simultaneous Black Flame UK edition, but only has US and Canadian prices.
Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt Anne Rice (Ballantine 0-345-43683-0, Nov 2006, $7.99, 350pp, pb) Reprint (Knopf 2005) associational novel. This has a new introduction and authors note by Rice.
The Death Collector Justin Richards (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-721-2, Jun 2006, $16.95, 320pp, hc) Young-adult SF horror novel. Three teens in Victorian London learn that factory owner Augustus Lorimore is reanimating dead humans and dinosaurs. First US edition (Faber and Faber 3/06)
The Invisible Detective: Ghost Soldiers Justin Richards (Penguin/Putnam/Sleuth 0-399-24500-6, Feb 2006, $11.99, 203pp, hc, cover by David Frankland) Young-adult mystery with supernatural elements set in the 1930s and the present day, third in the series.
The Devils Footsteps E. E. Richardson (Random House/Laurel-Leaf 0-440-23916-8, Nov 2006, $5.99, 184pp, pb, cover by Diane Fenster) Reprint (The Bodley Head 2005) young-adult horror novel.
The Existential Joss Whedon: Evil and Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly and Serenity J. Michael Richardson & J. Douglas Rabb (McFarland 0-7864-2781-7, Jan 2007, $35.00, 198pp, tp) Non-fiction, a critical examination of TV and film work of Joss Whedon as part of an existentialist tradition. Includes bibliography and index. McFarland, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com].
Greywalker Kat Richardson (Penguin/Roc 0-451-46107-X, Oct 2006, $14.00, 341pp, tp, cover by Chris McGrath) [Harper Blaine] Supernatural detective mystery. PI Harper Blaine comes back from the dead with the ability to see the supernatural. A first novel.
Map of Dreams M. Rickert (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-44-4, Oct 2006, $24.95, 313pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Collection of 21 stories, two original, written as by Annie Merchant, the protagonist of the original short novel of the title. Authors first collection. Introduction by Christopher Barzak; afterword by Gordon Van Gelder. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- · Who Is M. Rickert? · Christopher Barzak · in
- · Map of Dreams · na *
- · Introduction-Annie Merchant · si *
- · Dreams: Dreaming of the Sun
- · Leda · ss F&SF Aug, 2002
- · Cold Fires · ss F&SF Oct/Nov, 2004
- · Angel Face · ss F&SF Jul, 2000
- · Night Blossoms · ss *
- · Nightmares: Feeding the Beast
- · Bread and Bombs · ss F&SF Apr, 2003
- · Art Is Not a Violent Subject · ss Rabid Transit: Petting Zoo, ed. Barth Anderson, Christopher Barzak, Alan DeNiro, & Kristin Livdahl, Velocity Press, 2004
- · Anyway · ss Sci Fiction website Aug 24, 2005
- · A Very Little Madness Goes a Long Way · ss F&SF Aug, 2005
- · Waking: What I Saw, When I Looked
- · The Girl Who Ate Butterflies · ss F&SF Aug 99
- · Many Voices · ss F&SF Mar, 2004
- · More Beautiful Than You · ss *
- · Peace on Suburbia · ss F&SF Dec, 2003
- · Rising: Flights
- · Moorina of the Seals [Moorina] · ss F&SF Feb, 2001
- · The Harrowing · ss F&SF Apr, 2005
- · The Super Hero Saves The World · ss F&SF Jun, 2003
- · The Chambered Fruit · nv F&SF Aug, 2003
- · Afterword · Gordon Van Gelder · aw *
Against the Tide John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-2057-0, Apr 2006, $7.99, 550pp, pb, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [Duke Edmund Talbot] Reprint (Baen 2005) SF novel with fantasy elements, third in the series begun in There Will Be Dragons.
Choosers of the Slain John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-2070-8, Jul 2006, $25.00, 427pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Mike Harmon (Ghost)] Associational thriller, third in the Ghost series.
East of the Sun, West of the Moon John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-2059-7, May 2006, $24.00, 307pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Duke Edmund Talbot] SF novel, fourth in the Council Wars series begun in There Will Be Dragons. Two assassins, a soldier, and a quantum physicist face orcs in space.
Ghost John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-2087-2, Nov 2006, $7.99, 502pp, pb, cover by Kurt Miller) [Mike Harmon (Ghost)] Reprint (Baen 2005) associational mens adventure/thriller. This drops the CD-ROM included with the hardcover.
Kildar John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-2064-3, Mar 2006, $26.00, 390pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Mike Harmon (Ghost)] Associational mens adventure novel featuring former SEAL Mike Harmon, sequel to Ghost.
Unto the Breach John Ringo (Baen 1-4165-0940-2, Dec 2006, $26.00, 611pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Mike Harmon (Ghost)] Associational thriller, fourth in the Ghost series.
Callys War John Ringo & Julie Cochrane (Baen 1-4165-2052-X, Mar 2006, $7.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Clyde Caldwell) [Posleen War] Reprint (Baen 2004) military SF novel, fifth in Ringos Posleen War series begun in A Hymn Before Battle.
Von Neumanns War John Ringo & Travis S. Taylor (Baen 1-4165-2075-9, Aug 2006, $25.00, 394pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) Military SF novel. An enemy from space attacks Earth.
Percy Jackson & the Olympians, Book One: The Lightning Thief Rick Riordan (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-3865-5, Apr 2006, $7.99, 377pp, tp, cover by John Rocco) [Percy Jackson] Reprint (Miramax 2005) young-adult fantasy, the first in a series.
The Sea of Monsters Rick Riordan (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-5686-6, Apr 2006, $17.95, 279pp, hc, cover by John Rocco) [Percy Jackson] Young-adult fantasy, the second in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series about ancient gods living in the US.
Spacebloom: A Field Guide to Cosmic Xflora ed. Awk Ro (Etculli PUblishing 0-9730222-0-5, Feb 2004, $49.00, 160pp, hc) Art book, supposedly the Earth version of a 2267 guide to manmade space flowers, their structure, uses, identification, etc., with colorful computer-generated illustrations. The text has various orientations. This is dated 2004, but not seen until now. Etculli Publishing, 306-1315 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver BC V6H 1B8, Canada; [www.spacebloom.net/book/].
Braced2Bite Serena Robar (Berkley Jam 0-425-20976-8, May 2006, $9.99, 199pp, tp) [Colby Blanchard] Young-adult vampire novel, first in a series. Popular girl Colby Blanchard turns into a vampire.
Fangs4Freaks Serena Robar (Berkley Jam 0-425-21195-9, Nov 2006, $9.99, 197pp, tp) [Colby Blanchard] Young-adult vampire novel, second in a series.
Born in Death J. D. Robb (Penguin/Putnam 0-399-15347-0, Nov 2006, $24.95, 288pp, hc) [Eve Dallas] SF mystery novel, 23rd in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. Simultaneous with the Piatkus UK edition.
Born in Death J. D. Robb (SFBC #1205872, Nov 2006, $12.99, 288pp, hc) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Putnam 2006) SF mystery novel, 23rd in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. This is similar to the Putnam edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Immortal in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-15378-9, Jul 2006, $7.99, 296pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reissue (Berkley 1996) SF mystery novel, third in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts; 25th printing.
Memory in Death J. D. Robb (Penguin/Putnam 0-399-15328-4, Jan 2006, $24.95, 337pp, hc) [Eve Dallas] SF mystery novel, 22nd in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. Simultaneous with the Piatkus UK edition.
Memory in Death J. D. Robb (SFBC #119122, Feb 2006, $12.50, 310pp, hc) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Putname 2006) SF mystery novel, 22nd in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts. This is similar to the Putnam edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Memory in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-21073-1, Jul 2006, $7.99, 376pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Putnam 2006) SF mystery novel, 22nd in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts.
Origin in Death J. D. Robb (Berkley 0-425-20426-X, Feb 2006, $7.99, 372pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Putnam 2005) SF mystery novel, 21st in the Eve Dallas series. Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts.
Paragaea: A Planetary Romance Chris Roberson (Prometheus/Pyr 1-59102-444-7, May 2006, $15.00, 399pp, tp, cover by Jon Foster) SF novel. A Soviet cosmonaut is transported to a dimension of strange science, ancient mysteries, and adventure. A hardcover edition (-440-4, $25.00) is also available.
Karavans Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-7564-0172-0, Apr 2006, $25.95, 425pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Karavans] Fantasy novel, the first in a new fantasy universe. A late-season karavan is threatened when the magical forest of Alisanos starts to move.
Karavans Jennifer Roberson (SFBC #1209311, Jun 2006, $12.99, 425pp, hc, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Karavans] Reprint (DAW 2006) fantasy novel, the first in a new fantasy universe. This is similar to the DAW edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume One Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-7564-0319-7, Feb 2006, $15.00, 659pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Tiger & Del] Omnibus of the first two novels in the Sword-Dancer Saga: Sword-Dancer (1986) and Sword-Singer (1988), plus one unrelated story.
- 1 · Sword-Dancer · n. New York: DAW, 1986
- 263 · Sword-Singer · n. New York: DAW, 1988
- 655 · Authors Note · aw
- 663 · Ending and Beginning [Karavans] · ss 30th Anniversary DAW: Fantasy, ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim & Sheila E. Gilbert, DAW, 2002
The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume Three Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-7564-0344-8, Apr 2006, $16.00, 808pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Tiger & Del] Omnibus of the third and fourth novels in the Sword-Dancer Saga: Sword-Born (1998) and Sword-Sworn (2002), plus the story Ending and Beginning.
- 1 · Sword-Born · n. New York: DAW, 1998
- 401 · Sword-Sworn · n. New York: DAW, 2002
- 785 · What Comes Next? · aw
- 793 · Ending and Beginning [Karavans] · ss 30th Anniversary DAW: Fantasy, ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim & Sheila E. Gilbert, DAW, 2002
The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume Two Jennifer Roberson (DAW 0-7564-0339-1, Mar 2006, $16.00, 788pp, tp, cover by Todd Lockwood) [Tiger & Del] Omnibus of the third and fourth novels in the Sword-Dancer Saga: Sword-Maker (1989) and Sword-Breaker (1991), plus the story Ending and Beginning.
- 1 · Sword-Maker · n. New York: DAW, 1989
- 421 · Sword-Breaker · n. New York: DAW, 1991
- 789 · What Comes Next? · aw
- 797 · Ending and Beginning [Karavans] · ss 30th Anniversary DAW: Fantasy, ed. Elizabeth R. Wollheim & Sheila E. Gilbert, DAW, 2002
The History of Science Fiction Adam Roberts (St. Martins/Palgrave Macmillan 0-333-97022-5, Feb 2006, $95.00, 368 + xvii, hc) Non-fiction, a look at the roots and development of science fiction from ancient works to the early 21st century. Includes a chronology of key titles, notes, references, and index. This appears to be identical with the Palgrave Macmillan UK edition (1/06).
Science Fiction: Second Edition Adam Roberts (Routledge 0-415-36668-2, Feb 2006, $19.95, 159 + viii, tp) Non-fiction, a critical guide to science fiction, significantly revised from the Routledge 2000 first edition. Part of the New Critical Idiom series. This is an international edition without a price; a hardcover edition (-35557-4, $90.00) is also available.
The Seven Hills John Maddox Roberts (Ace 0-441-01380-5, Feb 2006, $7.99, 362pp, pb, cover by Scott Grimando) [Hannibals Children] Reprint (Ace 2005) alternate-history novel, sequel to Hannibals Children.
Dungeons & Dragons: Mark of the Yuan-Ti Kerry Daniel Roberts (Wizards of the Coast/Mirrorstone 0-7869-4033-6, Apr 2006, $5.99, 175pp, tp, cover by Emily Fiegenschuh) [Dungeons & Dragons] Young-adult novelization based on the roleplaying game world, the 12th in a series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.