Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2006
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Historian Elizabeth Kostova (Little, Brown UK 0-7515-3728-4, Feb 2006, £6.99, 704pp, tp) Reprint (Little, Brown 2005) historical vampire novel. Three generations of historians seek a book that might show the resting place of Dracula. The original UK edition was not seen.
Bloody Harvests Richard Kunzmann (Macmillan/Pan 0-330-42663-X, Feb 2006, £6.99, 455pp, pb) Reprint (Macmillan 2004) horror novel. Detectives meet black magic.
Black Juice Margo Lanagan (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07781-6, Feb 2006, £8.99, 227pp, hc) Reprint (Allen & Unwin Australia 2004) collection of 10 original fantasy stories. This edition adds one new story, The Point of Roses. [First U.K. edition]
- 1 · Singing My Sister Down · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 17 · My Lords Man · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 31 · Red Nose Day · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 51 · Sweet Pippit · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 71 · House of the Many · nv Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 107 · Wooden Bride · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 123 · Earthly Uses · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 143 · Perpetual Light · nv Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 165 · Yowlinin · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 185 · Rite of Spring · ss Black Juice, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2004
- 201 · The Point of Roses · nv *
The End of Harry Potter? David Langford (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07875-8, Nov 2006, £9.99, 196pp, hc, cover by David Wyatt) [Harry Potter] Non-fiction examination of the published Harry Potter novels and interviews with J.K. Rowling in search of hints to possible outcomes in the final book. [J. K. Rowling]
The Wyrdest Link: The Second Discworld Quizbook David Langford (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07704-2, Apr 2006, £6.99, 289pp, hc, cover by David Wyatt) [Discworld] Reprint (Gollancz 2002) non-fiction, a humorous quizbook based on Terry Pratchetts Discworld novels. A mini-hardback edition; the cover and jacket give the subtitle as Terry Pratchetts Discworld Quizbook.
Hood Stephen R. Lawhead (Little, Brown UK/Atom 1-904233-70-8, Aug 2006, £12.99, 438pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone & Getty Images) [King Raven] Young-adult fantasy novel, book one of King Raven. The story of Robin Hood is relocating to the borders of Wales just after the Norman Conquest. A trade paperback edition (-93-7, £8.99) was announced but not seen.
Small Eternities Michael Lawrence (Orchard Books 1-84362-870-8, Sep 2005, £5.99, 284pp, tp) [Aldous Lexicon] Reprint (Orchard Books 2004) young-adult fantasy novel, book two of The Aldous Lexicon trilogy.
Darkness, Tell Us and One Rainy Night Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7553-3174-5, Sep 2006, £7.99, 757pp, tp) Omnibus of two horror novels: Darkness, Tell Us (1991) and One Rainy Night (1991).
- 1 · Darkness, Tell Us · n. Headline Books, 1991
- 405 · One Rainy Night · n. Headline Books, 1991
The Glory Bus Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7472-6733-2, Dec 2005, £6.99, 442pp, pb, cover by Steve Crisp) Reprint (Headline 2005) associational horror novel.
The Richard Laymon Collection 1: The Beast House Trilogy Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7553-3167-2, Mar 2006, £7.99, iv+885pp, tp) [Beast House Chronicles] Omnibus of three horror novels: The Cellar (1980), The Beast House (1986), and The Midnight Tour (1998).
- i · The Cellar · n. Warner, 1980
- 169 · The Beast House · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1986
- 391 · The Midnight Tour [The Midnight Tour: Book Three of the Beast House Chronicles] · n. CD Publications, 1998
Richard Laymon Collection 2: The Woods are Dark and Out Are The Lights Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7553-3169-9, Apr 2006, £7.99, 472pp, tp) Omnibus of two horror novels: The Woods Are Dark (1983) and Out Are the Lights (1982).
- · Woods are Dark · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1983; A severely cut edition was issued by Warner in 1981.
- · The Out are the Lights · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1982
Richard Laymon Collection 4: Beware! and Dark Mountain Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7553-3171-0, Jun 2006, £7.99, 501pp, tp) Omnibus of two horror novels: Beware! (1985) and Dark Mountain (1987 as Tread Softly by Richard Kelly).
- 1 · Beware! · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1985
- 199 · Dark Mountain [Tread Softly, as by Richard Kelly] · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1987
The Richard Laymon Collection 5: Flesh and Resurrection Dreams Richard Laymon (Headline 0-7553-3172-9, Jul 2006, £7.99, 631pp, tp) Fantasy omnibus.
- 1 · Flesh · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1987
- 315 · Resurrection Dreams · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1988
The Richard Laymon Collection 6: Funland and The Stake Richard Laymon (Headline 0-7553-3173-7, Aug 2006, £7.99, 888pp, tp) Fantasy omnibus.
- 1 · Funland · n. London: W.H. Allen, 1989
- 449 · The Stake · n. Headline Books, 1990
Richard Laymon Collection Volume 3: Night Show and Allhallows Eve Richard Laymon (Hodder Headline 0-7553-3170-2, May 2006, £7.99, 438pp, tp) Horror omnibus.
- 1 · Night Show · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1984
- 221 · All Hallows Eve · n. Sevenoaks: New English Library, 1986
Voices Ursula Le Guin (Orion Childrens Books 1-8425-5507-3, May 2006, £10.99, 364pp, hc, cover by David Wyatt) [Annals of the Western Shore] Young-adult fantasy novel. Second in The Annals of the Western Shore after Gifts. [First U.K. edition]
The Dispossessed Ursula K. Le Guin (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07903-7, Aug 2006, £7.99, xii+336pp, tp, cover by Marc Adams) Reprint (Harper & Row 1974) classic, award-winning SF novel, with a new Introduction by Richard Morgan. Part of the Ten Greatest SF Books of All Time series.
Warhammer: Vermintide Bruno Lee (BL Publishing/Black Library 1-84416-286-9, Jan 2006, £6.99, 252pp, pb, cover by Alex Boyd) [Warhammer] Novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game.
LAmber Tanith Lee (Egerton House Publishing 1-905016-06-9, Apr 2006, £8.75, 240pp, tp) Associational psychological thriller.
Here in Cold Hell Tanith Lee (Macmillan/Tor UK 0-330-41310-4, Aug 2006, £6.99, 496pp, pb, cover by Dominic Harman) [Lionwolf] Reprint (Tor UK 2005) fantasy novel, second in the Lionwolf trilogy.
Law of the Wolf Tower Tanith Lee (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-91812-8, May 2006, £5.99, 235pp, tp, cover by Haydn Corner) Reissue (Hodder Childrens Books 1998) young-adult fantasy novel.
Piratica II: Return to Parrot Island Tanith Lee (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-89357-5, Feb 2006, £5.99, 398pp, tp, cover by John Avon) [Piratica] Young-adult fantasy novel.
Wolf Star Rise Tanith Lee (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-91813-6, Sep 2006, £5.99, 197pp, tp, cover by Haydn Corner) [Claidi Journals] Reprint (Hodder Silver 2000) young-adult fantasy novel. Book two in the series.
Icarus Roger Levy (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07860-X, Aug 2006, £12.99, 421pp, tp) SF novel. A hardcover edition (-07859-6, £17.99) was announced but not seen.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe C. S. Lewis (HarperCollins UK Childrens Books 0-00-720610-0, Oct 2005, £5.99, 189pp, tp) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1950) young-adult fantasy novel. Film edition, illustrated with colour plates from the film. Includes a postscript by Douglas Gresham (2000).
That Hideous Strength C. S. Lewis (HarperCollins UK 0-00-715717-7, Dec 2005, £7.99, 534pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (John Lane 1945) SF novel, book three of the Cosmic Trilogy.
The Curse of the Toads Rebecca Lisle (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-89447-4, May 2006, £5.99, 266pp, tp) Young-adult fantasy novel.
The Stormcaller Tom Lloyd (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07727-1, Mar 2006, £12.99, 438pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) [Twilight Reign] Fantasy novel. First in a series. A first novel. A hardcover edition (-07726-3, £17.99) was announced but not seen.
Warhammer: The Broken Lance Nathan Long (BL Publishing/Black Library 1-84416-243-5, Oct 2005, £5.99, 251pp, pb, cover by Christer Sveen) [Warhammer: Blackhearts] Novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game, part of the Black Hearts subseries.
Provender Gleed James Lovegrove (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07776-X, Aug 2006, £7.99, 330pp, tp, cover by Laura Brett) Reprint (Gollancz 2005) SF novel.
Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader James Luceno (Century/Lucasbooks 1-8441-3305-2, Nov 2005, £17.99, 222pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [Star Wars: Dark Lord] SF novelization. Simultaneous with the US (Del Rey) edition.
Star Wars: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader James Luceno (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-949123-0, Jun 2006, £6.99, 238pp, pb, cover by David Stevenson) [Star Wars: Dark Lord] Reprint (Del Rey; Century 2005) SF novelization.
Star Wars: Labyrinth of Evil James Luceno (Random House/Arrow/Lucasbooks 0-09-948428-5, Jan 2006, £6.99, 370pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars] Reprint (Lucasbooks/Century 2005) original novel based on the Star Wars films, its events occurring just prior to Revenge of the Sith.
The Night Watch Sergei Lukyanenko (Heinemann 0-4340-1412-5, Jul 2006, £10.99, 489pp, tp) [Night Watch] Dark fantasy novel, first in the eponymous trilogy. Translated by Andrew Bromfield from the Russian Nochnoi Dozor (1998). A hardcover edition (-1609-8, £18.99) was announced but not seen.
The Lies of Locke Lamora Scott Lynch (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07802-2, Jun 2006, £12.99, 504pp, tp) [Gentleman Bastard] Humorous fantasy novel, book one of the Gentleman Bastard series. A first novel. A hardcover edition (-07694-1, £18.99) was announced but not seen.
Romanitas Sophia MacDougall (Orion 0-7528-7709-7, Mar 2006, £6.99, 607pp, tp) [Romanitas] Reprint (Orion 2005, not seen) alternate history fantasy novel, the first in a trilogy set in a world where the Roman Empire survived to the present.
The House of Storms Ian R. MacLeod (Simon & Schuster/Pocket UK 0-7434-6247-5, Feb 2006, £6.99, 457pp, pb, cover by Larry Rostant) [Light Ages] Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 2005) fantasy novel set in an industrial England powered by magic, the sequel to The Light Ages.
Past Magic Ian R. MacLeod (PS Publishing 1-904619-55-X, Nov 2006, £25.00, 277pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) Collection of 11 stories, two original (one a lost chapter from House of Storms). Introduction by Jack Dann. This is a signed, limited edition of 500; a slipcased edition of 200 (-56-8, £60.00) signed by Dann and MacLeod is also available. Available from PS Publishing, Grosvenor House, 1 New Road, Hornsea HU18 1PG.
- · Introduction · Jack Dann · in (*), 2006
- · Foreword, Thrasis · fw (*), 2006
- · Past Magic · ss Interzone #39 90
- · Snodgrass · nv In Dreams, ed. Paul J. McAuley & Kim Newman, London: Gollancz, 1992
- · Living in Sin · ss Amazing Jan 91
- · Nevermore · nv Dying for It, ed. Gardner R. Dozois, HarperPrism, 1997
- · The Golden Keeper · na Asimovs Oct/Nov 97
- · Returning · ss Interzone Oct 92
- · Two Sleepers · ss Century #6, 2000
- · Home Time · nv F&SF Feb 98
- · Well-Loved · ss Interzone #34 90
- · The Bonny Boy · ss *; Lost chapter from House of Storms.
- · Nina-with-the-Sky-in-Her-Hair · nv F&SF Dec 95
The Highway Men Ken MacLeod (Sandstone Vista 1-905207-06-9, Nov 2006, £5.95, 70pp, tp) Near-future SF novella of forced laborers laying a power line in Scotland. Sandstone Press, PO Box 5725, Dingwall, Ross-shire, IV15 9WJ, Scotland UK; [www.sandstonepress.com].
Learning the World Ken MacLeod (Little, Brown UK/Orbit 1-84149-344-9, May 2006, £6.99, 398pp, pb, cover by Lee Gibbons) Reprint (Orbit 2005) SF novel.
Wicked Gregory Maguire (Hodder Headline/Review 0-7553-3160-5, Sep 2006, £7.99, 495pp, tp) [Oz: Wicked Years] Reprint (Regan Books 1995) fantasy novel about the Wicked Witch of the West in Baums Oz books.
Maddigans Fantasia Margaret Mahy (Faber and Faber 0-571-23015-6, Sep 2006, £17.99, 441pp, hc, cover by Kristian Olson) Reprint (HarperCollins NZ 2005) young-adult fantasy novel. [First U.K. edition]
Stargate Atlantis: Rising Sally Malcolm (Fandemonium 0-9547343-5-1, Dec 2005, £6.99, 183pp, pb) [Stargate Atlantis] SF novelization based on the TV series.
The Tower Valerio Massimo Manfredi (Macmillan UK 1-4050-5201-5, Oct 2006, £16.99, 295pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) Thriller with fantasy elements. An archeologist vanishes while searching for the legendary Tower of Solitude in the Sahara desert. Translated by Christine Fedderson-Manfredi from La Torre Della Solitudine (Mondadori 1996).
Blade of Fortriu Juliet Marillier (Macmillan/Tor UK 1-4050-4108-0, Mar 2006, £17.99, vii+549pp, hc, cover by fisheyeart) [Bridei Chronicles] Reprint (Pan Macmillan Australia 2005) fantasy novel, book two of The Bridei Chronicles. [First U.K. edition]
The Dark Mirror Juliet Marillier (Macmillan/Tor UK 0-330-42669-9, Mar 2006, £7.99, 664pp, pb, cover by fisheyeart) [Bridei Chronicles] Reprint (Pan Macmillan Australia 2004) fantasy novel. Book one of The Bridei Chronicles.
Wildwood Dancing Juliet Marillier (Macmillan/Tor UK 1-4050-5204-X, Dec 2006, £14.99, 370pp, hc, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) [Wildwood Dancing] Reprint (Pan Macmillan Australia 2006) young-adult fantasy novel set in Transylvania. [First U.K. edition]
Riding Tycho Jan Mark (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-330-40087-8, Jan 2006, £4.99, 215pp, tp) [Riding Tycho] Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 2005) young-adult SF novel.
Voyager Jan Mark (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-333-99774-3, Jan 2006, £10.99, 280pp, hc) [Riding Tycho] Young-adult SF novel.
Blood of Angels Michael Marshall (HarperCollins UK 0-00-716397-5, Jun 2006, £6.99, 547pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2005) associational novel. Marshall is a pseudonym of Michael Marshall Smith.
Dreamsongs George R. R. Martin (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07905-3, Sep 2006, £20.00, 1182pp, hc, cover by Dominic Harman) Reprint (Subterranean Press 2003 as GRRM: A RRetrospective) collection of 32 stories, two original (early non-SF), and two television scripts, with extensive commentary by Martin on his writing career. Introduction by Gardner Dozois. There is a bibliographical checklist by Leslie Kay Swigart. [First U.K. edition]
- 1 · George R. R. Martin · Gardner Dozois · in, 2003
- 7 · One: A Four-Color Fanboy · si
- 20 · Only Kids Are Afraid of the Dark [Dr. Weird] · ss Star-Studded Comics Win 67
- 32 · The Fortress · ss *
- 47 · And Death His Legacy · ss *
- 57 · Two: The Filthy Pro · si
- 66 · The Hero · ss Galaxy Feb 71
- 77 · The Exit to San Breta · ss Fantastic Feb 72
- 88 · The Second Kind of Loneliness · ss Analog Dec 72
- 102 · With Morning Comes Mistfall · ss Analog May 73
- 119 · Three: The Light of Distant Stars · si
- 130 · A Song for Lya · na Analog Jun 74
- 181 · This Tower of Ashes · ss Analog Annual, ed. Ben Bova, Pyramid, 1976
- 196 · And Seven Times Never Kill Man · nv Analog Jul 75
- 226 · The Stone City · nv New Voices in Science Fiction, ed. George R. R. Martin, Macmillan U.S., 1977
- 255 · Bitterblooms · nv Cosmos SF&F Magazine Nov 77
- 276 · The Way of Cross and Dragon · nv Omni Jun 79
- 293 · Four: The Heirs of Turtle Castle · si
- 303 · The Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr · ss Fantastic May 76
- 318 · The Ice Dragon · nv Dragons of Light, ed. Orson Scott Card, Ace, 1980
- 334 · In the Lost Lands · ss Amazons II, ed. Jessica Amanda Salmonson, DAW, 1982
- 349 · Five: Hybrids and Horrors · si
- 359 · Meathouse Man · nv Orbit 18, ed. Damon Knight, Harper & Row, 1976
- 383 · Remembering Melody · ss Twilight Zone Apr 81
- 398 · Sandkings · nv Omni Aug 79
- 433 · Nightflyers · na Analog Apr 80
- 508 · The Monkey Treatment · nv F&SF Jul 83
- 532 · The Pear-Shaped Man · nv Omni Oct 87
- 559 · Six: A Taste of Tuf · si
- 566 · A Beast for Norn [Haviland Tuf] · nv Andromeda 1, ed. Peter Weston, London: Futura, 1976
- 588 · Guardians [Haviland Tuf] · na Analog Oct 12 81
- 625 · Seven: The Siren Song of Hollywood · si
- 637 · The Twilight Zone: The Road Less Traveled · pl Twilight Zine Dec 18 86
- 668 · Doorways · pl CPT Holdings, Inc., 1993
- 771 · Eight: Doing the Wild Card Shuffle · si
- 781 · Shell Games [Wild Cards] · nv Wild Cards, ed. George R. R. Martin, Bantam, 1987
- 822 · From the Journal of Xavier Desmond [Wild Cards] · ms Aces Abroad, ed. George R. R. Martin, Bantam, 1988
- 869 · Nine: The Heart in Conflict · si
- 881 · Under Siege · nv Omni Oct 85
- 907 · The Skin Trade · na Night Visions 5, ed. Douglas E. Winter, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 981 · Unsound Variations · nv Amazing Jan 82
- 1027 · The Glass Flower · nv IASFM Sep 86
- 1062 · The Hedge Knight: A Tale of the Seven Kingdoms [Song of Ice and Fire] · na Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 1127 · Portraits of His Children · nv IASFM Nov 85
- 1161 · George R. R. Martin: A RRetrospective Fiction Checklist As of 31 December 2002 · Leslie Kay Swigart · bi [George R. R. Martin]
A Feast for Crows George R. R. Martin (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-224740-2, May 2006, £12.99, 753pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reprint (Voyager 2005) fantasy novel, the fourth book of A Song of Ice and Fire.
A Feast for Crows George R. R. Martin (Harper Voyager 0-00-648612-6, Nov 2006, £8.99, 933pp, pb, cover by Larry Rostant) [Song of Ice and Fire] Reprint (Voyager 2005) fantasy novel, the fourth book in the series A Song of Ice and Fire.
The Tango Singer Tomás Eloy Martínez (Bloomsbury 0-7475-7644-0, Jan 2006, £12.99, 246pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel. A student seeking the origins of the tango finds himself living in the real model for a Borges story. Translated by Anne McLean from El Cantor de Tango (Planeta Argentina 2004).
The Mob Clem Martini (Bloomsbury 0-7475-7578-9, Jan 2006, £12.99, 236pp, hc, cover by Carol Lawson) [Crow Chronicles] Reprint (KCP Fiction 2004) young-adult fantasy about crows, the first book in the Crow Chronicles trilogy. A first novel. A trade paperback (OME) edition (-8146-0) was announced but not seen. [First U.K. edition]
The Mob Clem Martini (Bloomsbury 0-7475-7580-0, Jul 2006, £6.99, 236pp, tp, cover by Carol Lawson) [Crow Chronicles] Reprint (KCP Fiction 2004) young-adult fantasy, the first in the The Crow Chronicles trilogy.
Return to Olympus John R. Mason (Golden Apple 1-904073-55-7, Jan 2006, £6.99, 202pp, tp) [Olympus] Allegorical SF novel, sequel to The Kronos Factor. Gods want to return to their home planet, Olympus. Available from Golden Apple, 15a Hoseside Road, Wallasey, Wirral, Cheshire CH45 0LA, UK; [www.goldenapple.u-net.com].
Malvolios Revenge Sophie Masson (Hodder Childrens Books 0-340-88364-2, Sep 2005, £5.99, 329pp, tp) Young-adult fantasy novel partially based on Shakespeares Twelfth Night.
Descendant Graham Masterton (Severn House 0-7278-6380-0, May 2006, £18.99, 216pp, hc) Horror novel. An American with Romanian ancestry is recruited to hunt down vampires.
Touchy and Feely Graham Masterton (Severn House 0-7278-6332-0, Jan 2006, £18.99, 202pp, hc) [Sissy Sawyer] First in the Sissy Sawyer series, about a psychic fortuneteller.
I Am Legend Richard Matheson (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07900-2, Aug 2006, £7.99, viii+161pp, tp, cover by Marc Adams) Reprint (Gold Medal 1954) classic SF/horror novel with a new introduction by Stephen King. Part of the Ten Greatest SF Books of All Time series.
Ironcrown Moon Julian May (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-712323-X, Oct 2005, £7.99, 502pp, pb, cover by Dominic Harman) [Boreal Moon Tale] Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2004) fantasy novel. Book Two of The Boreal Moon Tale.