Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2006
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Flashing the Dark Bruce Boston (Sams Dot 1-933556-23-4, Jun 2006, $9.95, 100pp, tp, cover by Marge Simon) Collection of 40 vignettes and short stories. Sams Dot Publishing, PO Box 782, Cedar Rapids IA 52406-0782; [www.samsdotpublishing.com].
- 9 · Thining the Bicycle Hordes · pp Vestal Review #17, 2004
- 10 · River Watch · pp The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Win, 2004
- 14 · Curse of the Avalanches Husband · pp Simulacrum, 2004
- 14 · The Last Love Letter · vi Science Fiction Age May, 2000
- 18 · Night Eyes · ss Book of Dark Wisdom #7, 2005
- 21 · When We Replicated Charles Dickens · pp *
- 22 · The Telltale Stomach · ss EOTU Ezine Oct, 2000
- 26 · The Telltale Drip · vi *
- 27 · Separate Vacations · pp Dreams & Nightmares #18 87
- 28 · The House Broods Over Us · vi *
- 30 · The Cathedral of Lost Faces · pm flashquake Spr, 2005
- 31 · Knights of the Round · vi Space & Time #81 93
- 33 · Prodigal Reunion · vi *
- 34 · We Are the Dark · Bruce Boston & Marge Simon · vi *
- 38 · Surreal Chess · ss EOTU Ezine Dec, 2003
- 42 · Shaggy Flea Story · vi Dreams & Nightmares #58, 2001
- 42 · Stray Vegetable Lads · vi *
- 43 · Children of the Mutant Rain Forest · pp Strange Horizons (online) Jun 9, 2003
- 45 · Severed Yellow Children · vi *
- 46 · Alien to Alien · vi The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Sum 85
- 47 · Complete Artistic Control · vi *
- 51 · When the Carnival Spills · vi *
- 53 · Escape of the Circus Freaks · vi *
- 54 · Death of a Super Anti-Hero · vi *
- 60 · Lair of the Beast · vi Pirate Writings Sum 95
- 63 · Sailing Off the Edge of the World · vi *
- 67 · Kyle Almost Goes Home · vi *
- 67 · Lovers, Keepers · vi *
- 70 · Curse of the Fractals Husband · vi *
- 71 · Our Last Piece of Pizza · vi Scattered, Covered, Smothered, ed. Jason Erik Lundberg, Two Cranes Press, 2004
- 73 · The Restaurant That Is No Longer There · vi *
- 75 · Unhappy Hour at the Godforsaken Lounge · Bruce Boston & Marge Simon · ss EOTU Ezine Oct, 2001
- 78 · Curse of the Unreal Couple · vi *
- 78 · Surreal Subway · vi EOTU Ezine Feb, 2001
- 80 · Never Trust a Spargan · ss Strange Days Fll 92
- 84 · The Collector of Boxed Worlds · vi Aoifes Kiss #12, 2005
- 85 · The Last Novitiate · ss SPWAO Showcase #3 83
- 89 · The Elongated Years · vi Strange Horizons (online) Apr 4, 2005
- 91 · The Best of the Evening · vi Sybils Garage #2, 2005
- 94 · The Final Fragrance · ss Book of Dark Wisdom #5, 2005
Shades Fantastic Bruce Boston (Gromagon Press 0-9776665-3-0, Jul 2006, $6.95, 51pp, ph, cover by Marge Simon) Chapbook collection of 37 poems, five original. Illustrated by Marge Simon. Half the sales revenue are being donated to the Rhysling Endowment Fund of the Science Fiction Poetry Association. Gromagon Press, PO Box 1717, Clearwater FL 33757; [www.gromagonpress.com]; add $2.00 postage.
- 9 · Dig · pm The Magazine of Speculative Poetry Spr, 2003
- 10 · The Slums of Atlantis · pm
- 11 · Stonehenge Revisited · pm
- 12 · In the Coarse Morn · pm *
- 14 · The Death of Statues · pm Dreams & Nightmares #65, 2003
- 15 · In Ones Perception of Light · pm Dreams & Nightmares #57, 2000
- 16 · Memorys Refrain · pm
- 17 · When Clock Is Egg · pm Strange Horizons (online) Jan 5, 2004
- 18 · Shells: The Next Generation · pm
- 20 · Heavy Weather · pm Asimovs Aug, 2004
- 21 · Origami Rockets · pm Strange Horizons (online) May 12, 2003
- 22 · All the Starry Audience · pm Strange Horizons (online) Sep 6, 2004
- 23 · Sun People · pm
- 24 · Knife People · pm
- 25 · In the Cluttered Attic of the Minds Sensations · pm Aoifes Kiss #15, 2005
- 26 · Revealing Their Eyes · pm Full Unit Hookup Fll, 2003
- 26 · Three Seconds Before Waking · pm
- 28 · A Confluence of Dead Masters · pm Star*Line v28 #5, 2005
- 30 · Each Note Waiting · pm
- 31 · Beauty in the Beast · pm Star*Line v28 #3, 2005
- 32 · Visions of the Blue Clone · pm
- 33 · Shadow Light · pm Aoifes Kiss #11, 2004
- 34 · Of Glass, of Fire, of Elements Abundantly Defined · pm Dreams & Nightmares #60, 2001
- 35 · Future Fourth · pm
- 36 · Mandates for the Fifth Enclave · pm *
- 37 · In the Sweltering Ruins of the Old City · pm *
- 38 · Beyond the Torched Lands · pm Dreams & Nightmares #63, 2002
- 40 · Under Alien Observation · pm
- 41 · Oblong Creatures · pm *
- 42 · In the Virtual Palace · pm
- 43 · Cannibals in the Dark · pm *
- 44 · Boy from Space · pm
- 45 · When the Alien Sat Down Next to Me · pm Star*Line v26 #3, 2003
- 46 · Star Wanderers · pm
- 47 · Take Five on Centauri Three · Bruce Boston & Marge Simon · pm Talebones Spr, 2001
- 48 · The Dimensional Rush of Relative Primes · pm *
- 50 · The City and the Stars · pm
The Green Trap Ben Bova (Tor/Forge 0-765-30924-6, Nov 2006, $24.95, 335pp, hc) Hi-tech thriller. The discovery of a clean energy source sparks murder and intrigue.
Mercury Ben Bova (Tor 0-765-34314-2, Mar 2006, $6.99, 334pp, pb, cover by John Harris) [Grand Tour] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2005) SF novel.
Powersat Ben Bova (Tor 0-765-34817-9, Nov 2006, $7.99, 424pp, pb) [Grand Tour: Asteroid Wars] Reprint (Tor 2005) near-contemporary SF thriller showing the early life of Dan Randolph, a major player in The Asteroid Wars books.
Titan Ben Bova (Tor 0-765-30413-9, Mar 2006, $24.95, 464pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Grand Tour] SF novel in the Grand Tour of the Solar System series. Tensions erupt on a colony ship newly arrived in orbit around Saturn. First US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 2/06).
Titan Ben Bova (SFBC #1208278, Apr 2006, $12.49, 464pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Grand Tour] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2006) SF novel in the Grand Tour of the Solar System series. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Trikon Deception Ben Bova & William R. Pogue (Tor 0-765-35536-1, Dec 2006, $7.99, 470pp, pb) Reissue (Tor 1992) techno/political thriller.
Tower of Shadows Drew Bowling (Ballantine Del Rey 978-0-345-48670-7, Dec 2006, $19.95, 286pp, hc, cover by John Harris) Fantasy novel, the first in a new series. A young sorcerers search for revenge against a demon threatens to release more evils. A first novel.
The Imperium Saga: The Adventures of Kyria #4: The Shard of Time Clifford B. Bowyer (Silver Leaf Books 0-9744354-3-0, Sep 2005, $5.99, 182pp, tp, cover by June Brigman & Roy Richardson) [Imperium Saga: Adventures of Kyria] Young-adult fantasy novel in the Imperium Saga, the fourth in a sub-series about a village girl who is the prophesied Chosen One who will save the Seven Kindoms. This is dated 2005, but not seen until now. Silver Leaf Books, PO Box 6460, Holliston MA 01746; 888-823-6450; [www.SilverLeafBooks.com].
The Imperium Saga: The Adventures of Kyria #5: Trapped in Time Clifford B. Bowyer (Silver Leaf Books 0-9744354-7-3, Sep 2006, $5.99, 150pp, tp, cover by June Brigman & Roy Richardson) [Imperium Saga: Adventures of Kyria] Young-adult fantasy novel in the Imperium Saga, the fifth in a sub-series about a village girl who is the prophesied Chosen One who will save the Seven Kindoms. Silver Leaf Books, PO Box 6460, Holliston MA 01746; 888-823-6450; [www.SilverLeafBooks.com].
Bradbury Speaks: Too Soon from the Cave, Too Far from the Stars Ray Bradbury (Harper Perennial 0-06-058569-2, Aug 2006, $14.95, 243pp, tp, cover by Ervin Serrano) Reprint (Morrow 2005) collection of essays. Winner of the National Book Award.
Farewell Summer Ray Bradbury (HarperCollins/Morrow 0-06-113154-7, Oct 2006, $24.95, 211pp, hc) [Dandelion Wine] Fantasy novel, sequel to Dandelion Wine; much of this was part of the original manuscript of Dandelion Wine.
Farewell Summer Ray Bradbury (SFBC #1228405, Feb 2007, $13.99, 211pp, hc) [Dandelion Wine] Reprint (Morrow 2006) fantasy novel, sequel to Dandelion Wine. This is similar to the Morrow edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Halloween Tree Ray Bradbury (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-80-9, Oct 2005, $110.00, 494pp, hc, cover by Ray Bradbury) Reprint (Knopf 1972) young-adult dark fantasy novel, with Bradburys preferred text. Includes a screenplay, a first draft, the submitted novel with notes on changes, the 1992 teleplay, and companion materials. Preface by Jon Eller. Introduction by Jonathan R. Eller. Illustrations by Bradbury and Joseph Mugnaini. This is a signed, limited edition of 750, dated 2005 but not seen before now.
The Homecoming Ray Bradbury & Dave McKean (HarperCollins/Collins Design 0-06-085962-8, Sep 2006, $14.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Dave McKean) Picture book of the story by Bradbury, extensively illustrated by McKean.
The Forbidden Circle Marion Zimmer Bradley (SFBC #1206606, Feb 2006, $12.99, 570pp, hc, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Darkover] Reprint (DAW 2002) SF omnibus of two Darkover novels: The Spell Sword (1974) and The Forbidden Tower (1977).
Heritage and Exile Marion Zimmer Bradley (SFBC #1228656, Jan 2007, $14.99, 779pp, hc, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Darkover] Reprint (DAW 2002) SF omnibus of two Darkover novels: The Heritage of Hastur (1975) and Sharras Exile (1981).
A World Divided Marion Zimmer Bradley (SFBC #1222154, Sep 2006, $14.99, 686pp, hc, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Darkover] Reprint (DAW 2003) SF omnibus of three Darkover novels: Star of Danger (1965), The Bloody Sun (1965), and The Winds of Darkover (1970). This has ISBN 0-7394-7358-0; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Rebel Angels Libba Bray (Random House/Delacorte 978-0-385-73341-0, Dec 2006, $9.99, 548pp, tp, cover by Michael Frost) [Great and Terrible Beauty] Reprint (Delacorte 2005) young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to A Great and Terrible Beauty. This includes a reading group guide.
The First Betrayal Patricia Bray (Bantam Spectra 0-553-58876-1, Jun 2006, $6.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Chronicles of Josan] Fantasy novel, the first book in the Chronicles of Josan. A lighthouse-tending monk discovers his past is a lie.
Camelots Destiny Cynthia Breeding (Kensington/Zebra 0-8217-8030-1, Aug 2006, $3.99, 431pp, pb) Arthurian fantasy romance.
Bridge of Dreams Chaz Brenchley (Ace 0-441-01324-4, May 2006, $24.95, 409pp, hc, cover by Eric Bowman) [Selling Water by the River] Fantasy novel, the first in the Selling Water by the River series set in an alternate Ottoman Istanbul.
Shattered Dance Caitlin Brennan (Harlequin/Luna 0-373-80248-X, Oct 2006, $14.95, 442pp, tp) [White Magic] Romantic fantasy novel, third in the White Magic trilogy. Brennan is a pen name for Judith Tarr.
Faerie Wars Herbie Brennan (Tor 0-765-35674-0, Jan 2007, $6.99, 368pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Faerie Wars] Reprint (Bloomsbury 2003) young-adult fantasy novel, first in the Faerie Wars series.
The Purple Emperor Herbie Brennan (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-746-8, Sep 2006, $8.95, 431pp, tp, cover by Melvyn Grant) [Faerie Wars] Reprint (Bloomsbury 2004) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Faerie Wars Chronicles.
Ruler of the Realm Herbie Brennan (Bloomsbury USA 1-58234-881-2, Oct 2006, $18.95, 430pp, hc, cover by Melvyn Grant) [Faerie Wars] Young-adult fantasy novel, third in the Faerie Wars series. Simultaneous with the UK (Bloomsbury) edition.
Doppelganger Marie Brennan (Warner 0-446-61698-2, Apr 2006, $6.99, 397pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Doppelganger] Fantasy novel. A witch has to kill her bounty-hunter double to master her powers. A first novel.
Warrior & Witch Marie Brennan (Warner 0-446-61697-4, Oct 2006, $6.99, 430pp, pb) [Doppelganger] Dark fantasy novel, sequel to Doppelganger. Witch factions battle over whether Mireis unique powers make her a miracle or menace. Copyrighted by Bryn Neuenschwander.
Daughter of the Desert Noel-Anne Brennan (Ace 0-441-01394-5, Apr 2006, $7.99, 323pp, pb, cover by Bleu Turrell) Fantasy novel. A young noblewoman questioning her identity and a prince team up against dark magic.
The Hobs Bargain Patricia Briggs (Ace 0-441-00813-5, Jan 2006, $6.99, 281pp, pb, cover by Duane O. Myers) Reprint (Ace 2001) fantasy novel. Third printing.
Moon Called Patricia Briggs (Ace 0-441-01381-3, Feb 2006, $7.99, 288pp, pb, cover by Daniel Dos Santos) [Mercy Thompson] Dark fantasy novel, the first in the Mercy Thompson series about a coyote shapeshifter mechanic. Mercy gets tangled in werewolf politics when she tries to save her neighbor, a pack leader, from assassins.
Startide Rising David Brin (SFBC #1206518, Dec 2006, $10.99, 498pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Uplift] Reprint (Bantam 1983) Nebula Award-winning SF novel in Brins Uplift series. This has ISBN 978-0-7394-7704-5; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Wars on Trial ed. David Brin & Matthew Woodring Stover (BenBella Books 978-1-932100-89-1, Jul 2006, $17.95, 386pp, tp, cover by Ralph Voltz) [Star Wars] Non-fiction gathering of 20 essays on the films, the tie-in novels, and the effect of both on SF in general. Authors include Keith R.A. DeCanido, Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and Adam Roberts.
The Da Vinci Cod Don Brine (Harper 0-06-084807-3, Oct 2005, $11.95, 180pp, tp) Parody of Dan Browns thriller The Da Vinci Code. First US edition (Gollancz 2005 as The Va Dinci Cod by A.R.R.R. Roberts). This is dated 2005, but not seen until now. Brine is a pen name for Adam Roberts.
D*U*C*K Poppy Z. Brite (Subterranean Press 978-1-59606-076-0, Dec 2006, $35.00, 132pp, hc, cover by Greg Peters) [Rickey and G-man] Associational novella, a Rickey and G-man culinary caper set in New Orleans; this could be considered an alternate world story, since in this world Hurricane Katrina missed New Orleans. This is a signed edition; a lettered, traycased, leatherbound edition of 26 ($150.00) is also available.
The Devil You Know Poppy Z. Brite (Gauntlet Press/Edge 1-88736-877-9, May 2005, $14.95, 173pp, tp, cover by Alan M. Clark) Reprint (Subterranean Press 2002, not seen) collection of 13 stories. This is dated 2005, but not seen until now.
- · Dispatches from Tanganyika: A Goreword · fw
- · The Devil You Know · ss Imagination Fully Dilated 2, ed. Elizabeth Engstrom, IFD Publishing, 2000
- · O Death, Where Is Thy Spatula? [Dr. Brite] · ss The Spook (online) Jul, 2001
- · Lantern Marsh · ss October Dreams, ed. Richard Chizmar & Robert Morrish, CD Publications, 2000
- · Nothing of Him That Doth Fade · ss Aqua Erotica, ed. Mary Anne Mohanraj, Three Rivers Press, 2000
- · The Ocean · ss The Darker Side: Generations of Horror, ed. John Pelan, Roc, 2002
- · Marisol · ss
- · Poivre · ss
- · Pansu · ss
- · Burn, Baby, Burn · ss
- · System Freeze · ss
- · Bayou de la Mère · ss Queer Fear II, ed. Michael Rowe, Arsenal Pulp, 2002
- · The Heart of New Orleans · ss City Slab #1, 2002
- · A Season in Heck · ss
Soul Kitchen Poppy Z. Brite (Random House/Crown/Three Rivers Press 0-307-23765-6, Jul 2006, $13.95, 276pp, tp) [Liquor] Associational novel, third in a series after Liquor and Prime.
The Brief History of the Dead Kevin Brockmeier (Random House/Pantheon 0-375-42369-9, Feb 2006, $22.95, 252pp, hc, cover by Patrik Giardino) Fantasy novel interweaving tales of a City inhabited by the recently dead and a woman trapped in the Antarctic.
K-Machines Damien Broderick (Thunders Mouth Press 1-56025-805-5, Mar 2006, $14.95, 319pp, tp) [Players in the Contest of Worlds] Science-fantasy novel, second in the Players in the Contest of Worlds series after Godplayers.
Genetopia Keith Brooke (Prometheus/Pyr 1-59102-333-5, Feb 2006, $25.00, 301pp, hc, cover by Brian W. Dow) Far-future SF novel about the last true humans, and a young man looking for his missing sister. Pyr, 59 John Glenn Drive, Amherst NY 14228-2197; [www.pyrsf.com].
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War Max Brooks (Random House/Crown 0-307-34660-9, Sep 2006, $24.95, 343pp, hc) SF horror novel in the form of a post-holocaust non-fiction book about a zombie war caused by a plague that almost destroyed humanity.
Armageddons Children Terry Brooks (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-48408-8, Sep 2006, $26.95, 371pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [Shannara: Genesis of Shannara] Near-future post holocaust fantasy novel, the first book in a trilogy.
Armageddons Children Terry Brooks (SFBC #1215507, Sep 2006, $14.99, 371pp, hc) [Shannara: Genesis of Shannara] Reprint (Del Rey 2006) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
High Druid of Shannara: Straken Terry Brooks (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45113-9, Aug 2006, $13.95, 368pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) [Shannara: High Druid of Shannara] Reprint (Del Rey 2005) fantasy novel in the Shannara series, third book in the High Druid of Shannara series.
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy Terry Brooks (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-49286-2, Nov 2006, $35.00, 1233pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Shannara: Voyage of the Jerle Shannara] Omnibus of the three fantasy novels in the trilogy: Ilse Witch (2000), (Antrax) 2001, and Morgawr (2002). First US edition (Pocket UK 12/04).
The Word and the Void Terry Brooks (SFBC #1220937, Oct 2006, $17.99, 711pp, hc, cover by J. P. Targete) [John Ross, Knight] Omnibus of the three novels in the John Ross, Knight of the Word series: Running with the Demon (1997), A Knight of the Word (1998), and Angel Fire East (Del Rey 1999). First US edition (Orbit 2003). This has ISBN 978-0-7394-7547-8; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Angels & Demons Dan Brown (Pocket 1-4165-2479-7, Apr 2006, $7.99, 713pp, tp) Reprint (Pocket 2000) slightly-SF thriller of Vatican conspiracies, the Illuminati, and antimatter. This is a tall mass-market premium edition.
The Da Vinci Code Dan Brown (Random House/Anchor 1-4000-7917-9, Mar 2006, $7.99, 489pp, pb) Reprint (Doubleday 2003) thriller with elements of fantasy and secret history. This is a movie tie-in edition. A trade paperback edition (0-307-27767-4, $14.95, 454pp) is also available.
Threshold Shift Eric Brown (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-43-6, Sep 2006, $24.95, 218pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of ten stories, one original, including two winners of the British Science Fiction Award. Three are set in the Kéthani universe. Foreword by Stephen Baxter. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 E. Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802-7730; 212-840-0672; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- · Foreword · Stephen Baxter · fw *
- · The Children of Winter · ss Interzone Jan, 2001
- · Thursdays Child [Kéthani] · nv Spectrum SF #9, 2002
- · Ascent of Man · ss Interzone May, 2001
- · Ulla, Ulla · nv The Mammoth Book of Science Fiction, ed. Mike Ashley, Robinson, 2002
- · The Kéthani Inheritance [Kéthani] · nv Spectrum SF Nov, 2001
- · Instructions for Surviving the Destruction of Star-Probe X-11-57 · ss Spectrum SF Jul, 2001
- · Eye of the Beholder · ss Interzone May 97
- · The Touch of Angels [Kethani] · nv *
- · The Spacetime Pit · Eric Brown & Stephen Baxter · ss Interzone May 96; illus. Rick Dawson
- · Hunting the Slarque [Fall of Tartarus] · nv Interzone Mar 99
Here Comes a Candle Fredric Brown (Centipede Press/Millipede Press 1-933618-04-3, Aug 2006, $14.00, 297pp, tp) Reprint (Dutton 1950) associational horror novel, plus the story The Joke and an essay. Introduction by Bill Pronzini. A signed, hardcover limited edition (-05-1, $50.00) and deluxe traycased edition ($225.00) are also available. Millipede Press, 2565 Teller Court, Lakewood CO 80214; [www.centipedepress.com].
Rivals Son Simon Brown (DAW 0-7564-0338-3, Mar 2006, $7.50, 440pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Chronicles of Kydan] Fantasy novel, book two in The Chronicles of Kydan. First US edition (Tor Australia 8/05).
Troy Simon Brown (Ticonderoga Publications 0-9586856-6-5, Apr 2006, A$26.95, 192pp, tp) Collection of nine stories, one original, all offering alternate takes on the Trojan War. One story is co-authored by Sean Williams. Introduction by Garth Nix. Afterword by Russell B. Farr. This is a limited edition of 500, including a signed edition of 30 (A$45.00). Ticonderoga Publications, PO Box 611, Bentley WA 6982, Australia; [www.austspeculativefiction.com.au].
The Da Vinci Mole Ian Browne (BenBella Books 1-932100-90-3, May 2006, $9.95, 125pp, tp, cover by Ralph Voltz) Parody of Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code; includes a puzzle-solving contest.