Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Years Best SF 12 ed. David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer (HarperCollins/Eos 978-0-06-125208-2, Jun 2007, $7.99, 484pp, pb) Years Best anthology of 26 stories from 2006, all strictly genre SF. The editors discuss the year in SF in the introduction. Authors include Stephen Baxter, Joe Haldeman, and Nancy Kress.
- ix · Introduction · David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer · in
- 1 · Nano Comes to Clifford Falls · Nancy Kress · ss Asimovs Jul, 2006
- 21 · Brother, Can You Spare a Dime? · Terry Bisson · ss Golden Age SF, ed. Eric T. Reynolds, Hadley Rille Books, 2006
- 33 · When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth · Cory Doctorow · nv Jim Baens Universe (online) Aug, 2006
- 74 · Just Do It! · Heather Lindsley · ss F&SF Jul, 2006
- 89 · Counterfactual · Gardner R. Dozois · nv F&SF Jun, 2006
- 111 · Moon Does Run · Edd Vick · ss Electric Velocipede Fll, 2006
- 124 · Home Movies · Mary Rosenblum · nv Asimovs Apr/May, 2006
- 157 · Chu and the Nants [Postsingular] · Rudy Rucker · ss Asimovs Jun, 2006
- 174 · Silence in Florence · Ian Creasey · ss Asimovs Sep, 2006
- 188 · The Women of Our Occupation · Kameron Hurley · ss Strange Horizons (online) Jul 31, 2006
- 197 · This Is the Ice Age · Claude Lalumière · ss Mythspring, ed. Julie E. Czerneda & Genevieve Kierans, Red Deer Press, 2006
- 210 · Speak, Geek · Eileen Gunn · vi Nature Aug 24, 2006
- 214 · Expedition, with Recipes · Joe Haldeman · ss Elemental: The Tsunami Relief Anthology, ed. Steve Savile & Alethea Kontis, Tor, 2006
- 221 · The Age of Ice · Liz Williams · ss Asimovs Apr/May, 2006
- 233 · Dawn, and Sunset, and the Colours of the Earth · Michael F. Flynn · nv Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2006
- 282 · Applied Mathematical Theology · Gregory Benford · vi Nature Mar 2, 2006
- 286 · Quill · Carol Emshwiller · nv Firebirds Rising, ed. Sharyn November, Firebird, 2006
- 313 · Tiger, Burning · Alastair Reynolds · nv Forbidden Planets, ed. Peter Crowther, DAW, 2006
- 342 · Dead Men Walking [Quiet War] · Paul J. McAuley · nv Asimovs Mar, 2006
- 364 · Damascus · Daryl Gregory · nv F&SF Dec, 2006
- 399 · Tin Marsh · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Aug, 2006
- 421 · Taking Good Care of Myself · Ian R. MacLeod · vi Nature May 4, 2006
- 425 · The Lowland Expidition [Old Earth] · Stephen Baxter · ss Analog Apr, 2006
- 444 · Heisenberg Elementary · Wil McCarthy · vi Asimovs Apr/May, 2006
- 449 · Rwanda · Robert Reed · ss Asimovs Mar, 2006
- 459 · Preemption · Charlie Rosenkranz · ss Analog Jun, 2006
Kiss Me Deadly Michele Hauf (Harlequin/Silhouette Nocturne 978-0-3736-1771-5, Sep 2007, $5.25, 276pp, pb) Paranormal romance novel. A vampire and a witch are accidentally entangled by a love spell.
Familiar Stranger Michele Hauf (Harlequin/Silhouette Nocturne 978-0-3736-1768-5, Jul 2007, $5.25, 274pp, pb) Paranormal romance novel. A demon hunter tracks a woman who turns out to belong to a peaceful organization at odds with his own.
Rash Pete Hautman (Simon Pulse 978-0-689-86904-4, Dec 2007, $8.99, 249pp, tp) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 2006) young-adult satirical near-future SF novel.
Charmed & Dangerous Candace Havens (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21900-3, Dec 2007, $7.99, 276pp, pb) [Charmed] Reprint (Berkley 2005) fantasy novel, the first in a series.
Charmed & Deadly Candace Havens (Berkley 978-0-415-21525-8, Jun 2007, $14.00, 258pp, tp) [Charmed] Fantasy romance novel, third in series begun in Charmed & Dangerous.
Kiss of the Wolf Morgan Hawke (Kensington/Aphrodisia 0-7582-1546-0, Feb 2007, $13.95, 313pp, tp) Dark fantasy erotic romance. A vampire and a werewolf fall for each other.
The Assassin King Elizabeth Haydon (SFBC #1227641, Feb 2007, $13.99, 384pp, hc, cover by Luis Royo) [Symphony of Ages] Reprint (Tor 2007) fantasy novel, third in the Symphony of Ages series following the Rhapsody trilogy.
The Assassin King Elizabeth Haydon (Tor 978-0-7653-4474-8, Dec 2007, $7.99, 415pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Symphony of Ages] Reprint (Tor 2007) fantasy novel, third in the Symphony of Ages series following the Rhapsody trilogy.
The Thief Queens Daughter Elizabeth Haydon (Tor/Starscape 978-0-7653-0868-9, Jul 2007, $17.95, 319pp, hc, cover by Jason Chan) [Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme] Younng-adult fantasy novel, the second in the series The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme. Vens first job as Royal Reporter of Serendair takes him to the dangerous Gated City ruled by the Queen of Thieves. Illustrated by Jason Chan. This includes a readers guide by Haydon.
Darkness of the God Amber Hayward (Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy 978-1-894063-44-9, Oct 2007, $20.95, 385pp, tp, cover by Lauren Fast) [Children of the Panther] Fantasy novel, book two of the Children of the Panther series after The Healer. Psychic cult leader Caldos Moriera hunts Ana, wanting to use her healing powers. Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy Publishing, PO Box 1714, Calgary AB T2P 2L7, Canada; [www.edgewebsite.com].
The Plants of Middle-earth: Botany and Sub-creation Dinah Hazell (Kent State University Press 978-0-87338-883-2, 2006, $22.95, 124+x, hc, cover by Linda Logan) Non-fiction, critical, a look at Tolkiens use of plants in The Lord of the Rings and other works. Includes notes, bibliography, and index, plus illustrations (many in color) of some of the plants involved. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now. Kent State University Press, 307 Lowry Hall, PO Box 5190, Kent OH 44242-0001; [www.kentstateuniversitypress.com]. [J. R. R. Tolkien]
A Rumor of Dragons Michael A. Heald (Lulu.com 978-1-4303-2509-3, Feb 2008, $19.95, 396pp, tp) [Chronicles of Ganus] Young-adult fantasy novel, book one of the Chronicles of Ganus series. A prince without hands struggles to survive when his fathers kingdom falls.
The Harsh Cry of the Heron Lian Hearn (Penguin/Riverhead 978-1-59448-257-1, Jun 2007, $15.00, 572pp, tp) [Tales of the Otori] Reprint (Riverhead 2006) Japanese samurai fantasy novel, the fourth and last in the Tales of the Otori series. Hearn is a pen name for Gillian Rubenstein.
Heavens Net is Wide Lian Hearn (Penguin/Riverhead 978-1-59448-953-2, Aug 2007, $26.95, 484pp, hc) [Tales of the Otori] Japanese samurai fantasy novel, a prequel to the Tales of the Otori series, subtitled The First Tale of the Otori. Hearn is a pen name for Gillian Rubenstein.
Hauntings Betsy Hearne (HarperCollins/Greenwillow 0-06-123910-0, Aug 2007, $15.99, 211pp, hc, cover by Patrick Arrasmith) Young-adult collection of 15 spooky stories.
- ix · Preface · ss *
- · Part I THE PAST (Set Mostly in Ireland)
- 1 · Tryst · ss *
- 8 · Fortress · ss *
- 18 · Lost · ss *
- 26 · Hauntings · ss *
- 34 · Coins · ss *
- 40 · Nurses Fee · ss *
- 52 · The Crossing · ss *
- 57 · The Letter · ss *
- · Part II THE PRESENT (Set Mostly in the United States)
- 63 · Fall · ss *
- 77 · Loose Chippings · ss *
- 93 · Angel · ss *
- 110 · Unnatural Guests · ss *
- 126 · Secret Trees · nv *
- · Part III BEYOND PAST AND PRESENT (Set Mostly in Heaven and Hell)
- 179 · Light · ss *
- 195 · The Devil and the Dog · ss *
- 203 · Notes · ms *
A Dark and Deadly Valley ed. Mike Heffernan (Silverthought Press 978-0-8774110-8-5, May 2007, $39.99, 375pp, hc, cover by Darren Whalen) Original anthology of 20 weird war stories about WWII, at least two reprints. Authors include Scott Nicholson, Elizabeth Massie, and David J. Schow. Introduction by John Skipp. This is a print-on-demand limited edition of 600 signed by the editor, cover designer Darren Whalen, and illustrator Alex McVey. Silverthought Press, 32148 State Route 26, Philadelphia NY 13673; [www.silverthought.com].
The Robert A. Heinlein Audioplays: Universe/The Roads Must Roll Robert A. Heinlein (Wildside Press, Dec 2007, $14.99, unpaginated, CD, cover by Alexandr Labetskiy) Audio CD collection of two audioplays adapted from stories by Heinlein, originally aired in 1955 and 1956 as part of the SF radio series X Minus One. Wildside Press, 9710 Traville Gateway Dr. #234, Rockville MD 20850; [www.wildsidepress.com].
Time for the Stars Robert A. Heinlein (Tor/Orb 978-0-765-31494-9, Mar 2007, $14.95, 244pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) Reprint (Scribner 1956) young-adult SF novel.
Variable Star Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson (Tor 978-0-7653-5168-5, Dec 2007, $7.99, 339pp, pb, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Reprint (Tor 2006) SF novel by Robinson based on an extensive outline by Heinlein.
Man vs Machine ed. John Helfers & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 978-0-7564-0436-9, Jul 2007, $7.99, 308pp, pb) Original anthology of 15 SF stories about machines that pose a threat to humanity. Authors include Rick Hautala, L.E. Modesitt, Jr., and S. Andrew Swan.
Memoir From Antproof Case Mark Helprin (Harcourt/Harvest 978-0-15-603200-1, Aug 2007, $16.00, 514pp, tp) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1983) literary fantasy novel.
The Poisoned Crown Amanda Hemingway (Ballantine Del Rey 978-0-345-46082-0, Apr 2007, $12.95, 374pp, tp, cover by Greg Spalenka) [Sangreal] Fantasy novel, second in the Sangreal trilogy after The Greenstone Grail. First US edition (Voyager1/07).
Rebel Fay Barb & J. C. Hendee (Penguin/Roc 978-0-451-46121-6, Jan 2007, $23.95, 372pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Noble Dead] Dark fantasy vampire novel, fifth in The Noble Dead saga begun with Dhampir. Leesils obsessive quest to free his mother takes him and two companions into dangerous Elven Territory.
Traitor to the Blood Barb & J. C. Hendee (Penguin/Roc 978-0-451-4609056, Jan 2007, $7.99, 396pp, pb, cover by Steve Stone) [Noble Dead] Reprint (Roc 2006) dark fantasy vampire novel, fourth in The Noble Dead saga begun with Dhampir.
Lai Wan: Tales of the Dreamwalker C. J. Henderson (Marietta Publishing 1-892669-39-0, May 2007, $16.00, 247pp, tp, cover by Steven Gilberts) [Lai Wan] Original collection of ten stories featuring female supernatural detective Lai Wan. Four stories are written with a second author; collaborators are Patrick Thomas, John L. French, Bruce Gehweiler, and John Sunseri. Introduction by William Jones. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.mariettapublishing.com] or from Marietta Publishing, 677 Valleyside Drive, Dallas GA 30157.
Bunker 10 J. A. Henderson (Harcourt 978-0-15-206240-8, Oct 2007, $17.00, 253pp, hc) Young-adult techno-thriller novel. Teen geniuses are trapped in a secret military installation about to self-destruct. First US edition (Oxford University Press 1/07, not seen).
The Darkling Band Jason Henderson (Dragon Moon Press 978-1-896944-36-4, Oct 2006, $19.95, 264pp, tp, cover by Nicole Cardiff) Fantasy novel set in 13th-century Germany. Two friends seek two young women kidnapped by winged men at war with humans. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now. Dragon Moon Press, [www.dragonmoonpress.com].
The Race for God Brian Herbert (Wildside Press 978-0-8095-5640-3, Jan 2007, $14.95, 287pp, tp, cover by Ian Field-Richards) Reprint (Ace 1990) SF novel. This is a revised edition; the degree of revision is unknown. Wildside Press, 9710 Traville Gateway Dr. #234, Rockville MD 20850; [www.wildsidepress.com].
The Race for God Brian Herbert (Dorchester/Cosmos Books 978-0-8439-5910-9, Oct 2007, $6.99, 394pp, pb, cover by Ian Field-Richards) Reprint (Ace 1990) SF novel. This is the Wildside Press 2007 revised edition.
Hunters of Dune Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson (Tor 978-0-7653-5148-7, Jul 2007, $7.99, 563pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Dune] Reprint (Tor 2006) SF novel, the first of two volumes in the seventh and final novel in Frank Herberts original Dune Chronicles, based on an outline by Frank Herbert. Copyrighted by Herbert Properties. This includes a Dune story, Treasure in the Sand.
Sandworms of Dune Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson (Tor 978-0-765-31293-8, Aug 2007, $27.95, 494pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Dune] SF novel, the second of two volumes in the seventh and final novel in Frank Herberts original Dune Chronicles, based on an outline by Frank Herbert. Copyrighted by Herbert Properties.
Sandworms of Dune Brian Herbert & Kevin J. Anderson (Audio Renaissance 978-1-4272-0112-6, Aug 2007, $59.95, audio bx, cover by Stephen Youll) [Dune] Audiobook edition of the Tor (2007) SF novel, the second of two volumes in the seventh volume in the original Dune series, based on an outline by Frank Herbert. This is an unabridged 16-CD set, read by Scott Brick.
Dune Frank Herbert (Audio Renaissance 978-1-4272-0143-0, Aug 2007, $59.95, audio bx) [Dune] Audiobook edition of the classic SF novel (Chilton 1965). This is an unabridged 18-CD set, read by Scott Brick, Orlagh Cassidy, Euan Morton, Simon Vance, and others.
Dune Messiah Frank Herbert (Audio Renaissance 978-1-4272-0236-9, Sep 2007, $34.95, audio bx) [Dune] Audiobook edition of the SF novel (Putnam 1969), second in the Dune series. This is an unabridged seven-CD set, read by Scott Brick, Katherine Kelloren, Euan Morton, and Simon Vance.
Hellstroms Hive Frank Herbert (Tor 978-0-765-31772-8, Apr 2007, $14.95, 332pp, tp, cover by Stephen Youll) Reprint (Doubleday 1973) SF novel.
The White Plague Frank Herbert (Tor 987-0-7653-1773-5, Oct 2007, $14.95, 445pp, tp, cover by Stephen Youll) Reprint (Putnam 1982) SF novel.
Magic: The Gathering: Lorwyn Cory J. Herndon & Scott McGough (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4292-3, Sep 2007, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Mark Zug) [Magic: The Gathering: Lorwyn Cycle] Novelization based on the collectible card game, book one in the Lorwyn Cycle. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Dragons Teeth James A. Hetley (Ace 978-0-441-01543-6, Nov 2007, $7.99, 327pp, pb, cover by Don Seegmiller) [Dragons Eye] Reprint (Ace 2006) contemporary fantasy novel, sequel to Dragons Eye.
Mystic Empire Tracy & Laura Hickman (Warner 978-0-446-61224-1, Feb 2007, $7.50, 474pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Bronze Canticles] Reprint (Warner Aspect 2006) fantasy novel, book three of The Bronze Canticles.
The Black Book of Secrets F. E. Higgins (Feiwel & Friends 978-0-312-36844-9, 2007, $14.95, 273pp, hc) Young-adult Dickensian/gothic novel with fantasy elements. Ludlow Fitch flees his horrible family and gets a job with a pawnbroker who trades for peoples darkest secrets. A first novel. First US edition (Macmillan UK 1/07).
Samurai Jason Hightman (HarperCollins/Eos 978-0-06-054016-6, Sep 2007, $6.99, 389pp, tp, cover by Vince Natale) [Saint of Dragons] Reprint (Eos 2006) young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to The Saint of Dragons.
The Vampire Shrink Lynda Hilburn (Medallion Press 978-1-933836-23-2, Oct 2007, $15.95, 392pp, tp) [Vampire Shrink] Paranormal romance. Psychologist Kismet Knight doesnt believe in vampires until she becomes involved in the vampire underworld and a murder investigation.
The Last Days of Madame Rey A. W. Hill (Carroll & Graf 978-0-78671-881-8, Apr 2007, $24.95, 328pp, hc, cover by Whitney Cookman) [Stephan Raszer] Dark fantasy mystery, the second in the Stephan Raszer Investigations series about a psychic detective. A neo-Nazi cult may be triggering earthquakes.
20th Century Ghosts Joe Hill (HarperCollins/Morrow 978-0-06-114797-5, Oct 2007, $24.95, xiv+316pp, hc) Collection of 15 stories. This first US edition (PS Publishing 2005) adds one story, Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead, and drops the story notes; the introduction by Christopher Golden has been slightly revised. Issued without a dust jacket.
- xi · Introduction · Christopher Golden · in
- 1 · Best New Horror · ss Postscripts Spr, 2005
- 25 · 20th Century Ghost · ss High Plains Literary Review v17 #1, 2002 (+2)
- 47 · Pop Art · nv With Signs & Wonders, ed. Daniel M. Jaffe, Invisible Cities Press, 2001
- 69 · You Will Hear the Locust Sing · ss The Third Alternative #37, 2004
- 91 · Abrahams Boys [Van Helsing] · ss The Many Faces of Van Helsing, ed. Jeanne Cavelos, Ace, 2004
- 113 · Better Than Home · nv
- 135 · The Black Phone · ss The Third Alternative #39, 2004; illus. Robert Dunn
- 155 · In the Rundown · ss Crimewave #8, 2005
- 173 · The Cape · nv 20th Century Ghosts, PS Publishing, 2005
- 195 · Last Breath · ss Subterranean #2, 2005
- 205 · Dead-Wood · vi Subterranean Press e-newsletter Feb, 2005
- 207 · The Widows Breakfast · ss The Clackamas Literary Review v6, 2002
- 219 · Bobby Conroy Comes Back from the Dead · nv Postscripts Aut, 2005
- 241 · My Fathers Mask · nv 20th Century Ghosts, PS Publishing, 2005
- 263 · Voluntary Committal · na Subterranean Press, 2005
- 313 · Acknowledgments · ms
- 314 · Scheherazades Typewriter · vi
Heart-Shaped Box Joe Hill (HarperCollins/Morrow 978-0-06-114793-7, Feb 2007, $24.95, 376pp, hc) Horror novel. A collector of the macabre buys a ghost on the Internet. A first novel.
Heart-Shaped Box Joe Hill (SFBC #1225373, Feb 2007, $12.49, 376pp, hc) Reprint (Morrow 2007) horror novel. This is similar to the Morrow edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.