Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Time of the Eagle Sherryl Jordan (HarperCollins/Eos 978-0-06-059554-8, Jul 2007, $16.99, 464pp, hc, cover by Douglas Mullen) [Secret Sacrament] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to Secret Sacrament.
Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer Daniel Josephs (Pocket Star 978-1-4165-4809-6, May 2007, $7.99, 261pp, pb) [Fantastic 4] Novelization of the movie based on the Marvel Comics. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film and Dune Entertainment; characters copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
American Supernatural Tales ed. S. T. Joshi (Penguin Classics 978-0-14-310504-6, Oct 2007, $16.00, 477+xxxiii, tp, cover by Hans Neleman) Anthology of 26 stories. Authors include Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King, and Joyce Carol Oates. Joshi provides a lengthy introduction and suggested reading list. This is an international edition.
- v · Acknowledgments · Misc. · ms
- ix · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- xxiii · Suggestions for Further Reading · Misc. · ms
- · AMERICAN SUPERNATURAL TALES
- 3 · The Adventure of the German Student · Washington Irving · ss Tales of a Traveller, John Murray, 1824
- 11 · Edward Randolphs Portrait · Nathaniel Hawthorne · ss Democratic Review Jul, 1838
- 25 · The Fall of the House of Usher · Edgar Allan Poe · ss Burtons Gentlemens Magazine Sep, 1839
- 47 · What Was It? · Fitz-James OBrien · ss Harpers Mar, 1859
- 63 · The Death of Halpin Frayser · Ambrose Bierce · ss The Wave Dec 19, 1891
- 81 · The Yellow Sign · Robert W. Chambers · nv The King in Yellow, New York & Chicago: F. Tennyson Neely, 1895
- 103 · The Real Right Thing · Henry James · ss Colliers Weekly Dec 16, 1899
- 119 · The Call of Cthulhu [Inspector Legrasse] · H. P. Lovecraft · nv Weird Tales Feb 28
- 153 · The Vaults of Yoh-Vombis · Clark Ashton Smith · ss Weird Tales May 32
- 177 · Old Garfields Heart · Robert E. Howard · ss Weird Tales Dec 33
- 191 · Black Barter [Margate (unnamed narrator)] · Robert Bloch · nv Weird Tales Sep 43
- 211 · The Lonesome Place · August Derleth · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Feb 48
- 223 · The Girl with the Hungry Eyes · Fritz Leiber · ss The Girl With the Hungry Eyes, ed. Donald A. Wollheim, Avon, 1949
- 241 · The Fog Horn [The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms] · Ray Bradbury · ss The Saturday Evening Post Jun 23 51
- 253 · A Visit [The Lovely House] · Shirley Jackson · ss New World Writing #2, NAL, 1952
- 279 · Long Distance Call [Sorry, Right Number] · Richard Matheson · ss Beyond Fantasy Fiction Nov 53
- 295 · The Vanishing American · Charles Beaumont · ss F&SF Aug 55
- 309 · The Events at Poroth Farm · T. E. D. Klein · na From Beyond the Dark Gateway #2 72
- 361 · Night Surf · Stephen King · ss Cavalier Aug 74
- 373 · The Late Shift · Dennis Etchison · ss Dark Forces, ed. Kirby McCauley, Viking, 1980
- 393 · Vastarien · Thomas Ligotti · ss Crypt of Cthulhu #48 87
- 411 · Endless Night · Karl Edward Wagner · ss The Architecture of Fear, ed. Kathryn Cramer & Peter D. Pautz, Arbor House, 1987
- 423 · The Hollow Man · Norman Partridge · ss Grue #13 91
- 433 · Last Call for the Sons of Shock · David J. Schow · ss The Ultimate Frankenstein, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 453 · The Temple · Joyce Carol Oates · vi Demon and Other Tales, Necronomicon Press, 1996
- 459 · In the Water Works (Birmingham, Alabama 1988) · Caitlín R. Kiernan · ss Tales of Pain and Wonder, Gauntlet Press, 2000
- 473 · Sources · Misc. · bi
Icons of Horror and the Supernatural: An Encyclopedia of Our Worst Nightmares ed. S. T. Joshi (Greenwood Press 0-313-33781-0, Jan 2007, $175.00, 796+x, hc) Non-fiction, reference, a two-volume guide to 24 of the major monsters and fixtures of supernatural horror, from The Alien to The Zombie, each covered in an in-depth article covering its history and use in literature, film, and popular culture, with bibliographic references. Authors include Brian Stableford, Darrell Schweitzer, and Mike Ashley. The two volumes are paginated consecutively, and only the second has an index; volume one has ISBN 0-313-33781-0, volume two -33782-9. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; 800-225-5800; [www.greenwood.com].
Warnings to the Curious: A Sheaf of Criticism on M.R. James ed. S. T. Joshi & Rosemary Pardoe (Hippocampus Press 978-0-9771734-8-8, Sep 2007, $20.00, 338pp, tp, cover by Carl Wilson) Non-fiction, a selection of 28 essays about James and his ghost stories, with memoirs by his friends, early criticism of his work by Lovecraft and others, and new articles. Introduction by Joshi. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.hippocampuspress.com] or from Hippocampus Press, PO Box 641, New York NY 10156. [M. R. James]
Dark Rival Brenda Joyce (Harlequin/HQN 978-0-373-77219-3, Oct 2007, $7.99, 416pp, pb) [Masters of Time] Paranormal romance in the Masters of Time series. Ancient Highland warrior Black Royce is sent to 2007 New York City to protect a Healer.
Dark Seduction Brenda Joyce (Harlequin/HQN 978-0-373-77233-9, May 2007, $7.99, 372pp, pb) Time-travel romance. A warrior with special powers carries a modern woman back to medieval Scotland.
The Serpent Gift Lene Kaaberbol (Holt 978-0-8050-8655-3, Oct 2007, $9.95, 377pp, tp, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Shamer Chronicles] Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 2005) young-adult fantasy novel, the third in the Shamer Chronicles. Translated by the author from the Danish Slangens Gave (Forlaget 2003).
The Shamers Signet Lene Kaaberbol (Holt 978-0-8050-8217-3, Jun 2007, $8.95, 314pp, tp, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Shamer Chronicles] Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 2003) young-adult fantasy novel, the second book in the Shamer Chronicles. Translated by the author from the Danish Skammertegnet (Forlaget 2001).
Butcher Bird Richard Kadrey (Night Shade Books 978-1-59780-086-0, Jul 2007, $14.95, 257pp, tp, cover by Dan Dos Santos) Dark fantasy novel. A demon infects Spyder Lee with the ability to see the magical worlds, which are out of balance. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Avenue, San Francisco CA 94122; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
The Hellraiser Films and Their Legacy Paul Kane (McFarland 978-0-7864-2752-9, Mar 2007, $45.00, 247pp, hc) Associational non-fiction, a look at the making of Clive Barkers horror film and its sequels, their themes, and their influence on various media. Foreword by Doug Bradley. Includes notes, bibliography, and index. McFarland, Box 611, Jefferson NC 28640; 800-253-2187; [www.mcfarlandpub.com].
Mass Effect: Revelation Drew Karpyshyn (Ballantine Del Rey 978-0-345-49816-8, May 2007, $7.99, 323pp, pb) [Mass Effect] Novelization, a prequel to the video game by one of its writers. Copyrighted by BioWare.
Star Wars: Darth Bane: Path of Destruction Drew Karpyshyn (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 978-0-345-47737-8, Jul 2007, $7.99, 389pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Star Wars: Old Republic: Darth Bane] Reprint (Del Rey 2006) Star Wars novelization based on the universe of the movies, in the Old Republic series. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Darth Bane: Rule of Two Drew Karpyshyn (Ballantine Del Rey LucasBooks 978-0-345-47748-4, Jan 2008, $25.95, 318pp, hc, cover by John Van Fleet) [Star Wars: Old Republic: Darth Bane] Star Wars novelization based on the universe of the movies, the second in the Darth Bane subseries in the Old Republic series. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Path of Destruction Drew Karpyshyn (SFBC #1216369, Nov 2006, $14.99, 324pp, hc, cover by John Jude Palencar) [Star Wars] Reprint (Del Rey 2006) Star Wars novelization based on the universe of the movies. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm. This is similar to the Del Rey edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Animal Bridegroom Sandra Kasturi (Tightrope Books 978-0-9738645-6-4, Jul 2007, $12.95, 91pp, tp, cover by Kristi-ly Green) Collection of 37 fantastic poems. Introduction by Neil Gaiman. Tightrope Books, 17 Greyton Crescent, Toronto Ontario Canada M6E 2G1; [www.tightropebooks.com].
- 9 · A Brief Introduction · Neil Gaiman · in
- · INTO THE WOODS
- 13 · The Burning Woman · pm Contemporary Verse Win 95
- 14 · Chaos Theory · pm Tesseracts 5, ed. Robert Runté & Yves Meynard, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 18 · The Gretel Papers · pm On Spec Sum 95
- 20 · The Birch Tree · pm
- 21 · Verses for the Lost · pm
- 22 · Estonian Witches · pm On Spec Sum 96
- 24 · Cadmus Reminisces · pm
- 25 · Sea Wrack · pm On Spec Spr 99
- 26 · Spring Has Slipped Behind a Chair, Forgotten · pm
- · LYING WITH WOLVES
- 31 · Lying with Wolves · pm On Spec Fll 99
- 33 · Five Cantos from the Prayer Book of Aphrodite · pm TransVersions #2 95
- 34 · Carnaval Perpetuel · pm Strange Horizons (online) Mar 18, 2002
- 38 · Faustus Tigris · pm
- 40 · The Stars as Seen from Alberta · pm
- 44 · Skinchanger · pm
- 45 · Berry Picking with Jane · pm
- 47 · Love with a Mermaid · pm On Spec Sum 98
- 48 · The Left Love Department · pm
- 53 · Things the Rose Tree Knows in Spring · pm
- 55 · A Daughters a Daughter · pm On Spec Sum 98
- 57 · Taken Root · pm
- 58 · The Fishermans Wife Revisited · pm
- 59 · Joanne Ironing · pm
- 62 · The Changeling · pm On Spec Win 95
- 64 · Frankensteins Monsters Wifes Therapist · pm Star*Line v28 #2, 2005
- 65 · The Swan Maidens Tale · pm
- · THE UNBINDING OF SPIRITS
- 71 · I Speak for the Serpent · pm
- 73 · After Misreading Emerson · pm
- 74 · Merlin to Nimue · pm
- 76 · Seven Poems · pm
- 77 · Gaslight Elegy · pm
- 80 · The Flayed Woman · pm Tesseracts 5, ed. Robert Runté & Yves Meynard, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1996
- 81 · After the Flood · pm On Spec Sum 98
- 82 · Old Men, Smoking · pm
- 84 · The Unbinding of Spirits · pm
- 85 · On Writing an Elegy for You, Whom I Have Lost · pm
- 87 · Falling · pm
- 89 · Notes · Misc. · ms
- 90 · Acknowledgements · Misc. · ms
- 93 · Author Bio · Misc. · bg
Back to the Divide Elizabeth Kay (Scholastic 978-0-439-63555-4, Jul 2007, $6.99, 376pp, tp, cover by Ted Dewan) [Divide] Reprint (Chicken House UK 2004) young-adult fantasy, the second in the Divide trilogy.
The Divide Elizabeth Kay (Scholastic/Chicken House 98-0-439-54343-9, Jun 2007, $6.99, 312pp, tp, cover by Ted Dewan) [Divide] Reprint (Chicken House UK 2003) young-adult fantasy, the first in the Divide trilogy.
Jinx on the Divide Elizabeth Kay (Scholastic 978-0-439-72456-2, Aug 2007, $6.99, 368pp, tp, cover by Ted Dewan) [Divide] Reprint (Chicken House UK 2005) young-adult fantasy, the third in the Divide trilogy.
Ysabel Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin/Viking Canada 978-0-670-04321-7, Jan 2007, C$34.00, 421pp, hc, cover by Greg Banning) Contemporary fantasy novel. Celtic spirits draw a family visiting France into their ancient conflict.
Ysabel Guy Gavriel Kay (Penguin/Roc 0-451-46129-0, Feb 2007, $24.95, 421pp, hc, cover by Larry Rostant) Contemporary fantasy novel. A teen visiting France is haunted by mythic Celtic spirits caught up in an ancient love triangle. First US edition (Penguin/Viking Canada 1/07).
Ysabel Guy Gavriel Kay (SFBC #1231471, Mar 2007, $12.99, 421pp, hc, cover by Larry Rostant) Reprint (Viking Canada 2007) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Roc first US edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Fair Folk ed. Marvin Kaye (Ace 978-0-441-01481-1, Feb 2007, $15.00, 345pp, tp, cover by J. P. Targete) Reprint (SFBC 2005) anthology of six stories about fairies.
Jacobs Ladder Brian Keaney (Candlewick Press 978-0-7636-3071-3, Mar 2007, $15.99, 218pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy/parable. Jacob awakens with no memory in a grim place called Locus, with a guide named Virgil. First US edition (Orchard 2005).
The Promises of Dr. Sigmundus: The Hollow People Brian Keaney (Random House/Knopf/Borzoi 978-0-375-84332-7, Sep 2007, $16.99, 225pp, hc) [Promises of Dr. Sigmundus] Young-adult dark fantasy, the first book in a trilogy. A new asylum patient makes teens begin to question their lives on Dr. Sigmunduss remote island, where dreams are banned. First US edition (Orchard Books UK 2006, not seen).
Island Heat Susan Kearney (Tor 978-0-765-35666-6, Feb 2007, $6.99, 297pp, pb) Paranormal romance. A reclusive former film star living on a private island meets a man seeking to end slavery in another world.
In the Eye of Heaven David Keck (Tor 978-0-765-35169-2, Mar 2007, $7.99, 446pp, pb, cover by David Grove) [In the Eye of Heaven] Reprint (Tor 2006) epic fantasy novel.
Dead Sea Brian Keene (Leisure 978-0-8439-5860-7, Aug 2007, $7.99, 318pp, pb) Horror novel. A small group takes to the sea in an old boat to escape zombies.
Ghoul Brian Keene (Leisure 978-0-8439-5644-3, Feb 2007, $7.99, 322pp, pb) Horror novel.
Tequilas Sunrise Brian Keene (Bloodletting Press, Nov 2007, $49.95, 61pp, hc, cover by Alex McVey) Horror novelette/fable about an Aztec boy seeking ways to defeat the Spanish invaders. A signed, limited edition of 500; a deluxe lettered edition of 26 is also available. Bloodletting Press, 3732 Havenhurst Ct., Modesto CA 95355; [www.bloodlettingbooks.com].
Retiefs Peace William H. Keith (Baen 978-1-4165-2135-8, Jun 2007, $7.99, 374pp, pb, cover by Kurt Miller) [Jame Retief] Reprint (Baen 2005) SF novel based on Keith Laumers character.
Lost in Shadow Jocelyn Kelley (Penguin/Signet Eclipse 978-0-451-22171-1, Jul 2007, $6.99, 293pp, pb) Paranormal romance novel. A ghost demands that Jade Nethercott protect his beloved from his killer.
Close Encounters of the Sexy Kind Karen Kelley (Kensington/Brava 978-0-7582-1172-9, Apr 2007, $14.00, 274pp, tp) SF romance. An alien woman from a world without real men heads to Earth.
Rewired: The Post-Cyberpunk Anthology ed. James Patrick Kelly & John Kessel (Tachyon Publications 978-1-892391-53-7, Oct 2007, $14.95, 425+xvii, tp) Anthology of 16 stories looking at developments in SF style growing out of the cyberpunk movement. Stories are interspersed with quotations from correspondence between John Kessel and Bruce Sterling debating the merits of cyberpunk.
- · Bicycle Repairman [Chattanooga] · Bruce Sterling · nv Intersections, ed. John Kessel, Mark L. Van Name & Richard Butner, Tor, 1996
- · Red Sonja and Lessingham in Dreamland · Gwyneth Jones · ss Off-Limits, ed. Ellen Datlow, St. Martins, 1996
- · How We Got in Town and out Again · Jonathan Lethem · nv Asimovs Sep 96
- · Yeyuka · Greg Egan · ss Meanjin v56 #1 97
- · The Final Remake of The Return of Little Latin Larry, with a Completely Remastered Soundtrack and the Original Audience · Pat Cadigan · na Future Histories, ed. Stephen McClelland, Horizon House (UK), 1997
- · Thirteen Views of a Cardboard City · William Gibson · ss New Worlds #222 97
- · The Wedding Album [Cathy] · David Marusek · na Asimovs Jun 99
- · Daddys World · Walter Jon Williams · nv Not of Woman Born, ed. Constance Ash, Roc, 1999
- · The Dog Said Bow-Wow [Surplus & Darger] · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Oct/Nov, 2001
- · Lobsters [Macx Family] · Charles Stross · nv Asimovs Jun, 2001
- · Whats Up, Tiger Lily? · Paul Di Filippo · nv The Silver Gryphon, ed. Gary Turner & Marty Halpern, Golden Gryphon Press, 2003
- · The Voluntary State · Christopher Rowe · nv Sci Fiction website May 5, 2004
- · Two Dreams on Trains · Elizabeth Bear · ss Strange Horizons (online) Jan 3, 2005
- · The Calorie Man · Paolo Bacigalupi · nv F&SF Oct/Nov, 2005
- · Search Engine · Mary Rosenblum · nv Analog Sep, 2005
- · When Sysadmins Ruled the Earth · Cory Doctorow · nv Jim Baens Universe (online) Aug, 2006
Amberlight Sylvia Kelso (Wildside Press/Juno Books 978-0-8095-7205-2, Nov 2007, $6.99, 260pp, pb, cover by Timothy Lantz) Paranormal romance set in a matriarchal society, where a battered male with amnesia may be key to saving the legendary city of Amberlight. Juno Books, [www.juno-books.com].
The House of Pendragon, Book II: The Recruit Debra A. Kemp (Amber Quill Press 978-1-59279-699-1, Jun 2007, $17.00, 266pp, tp) [House of Pendragon] Arthurian fantasy novel, second in a series about Arthurs estranged daughter, Lin. This is a print-on-demand edition available online at [www.amberquill.com].
Forgotten Realms: Shadows Witness Paul S. Kemp (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4259-6, Apr 2007, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Raymond Swanland) [Forgotten Realms: Sembia] Novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game, second in the Sembia series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast. Second printing.
Forgotten Realms: Shadowstorm Paul S. Kemp (Wizards of the Coast 978-0-7869-4304-3, Sep 2007, $6.99, 345pp, pb, cover by Raymond Swainland) [Forgotten Realms: Twilight War] Novelization based on the world of the roleplaying game, book two in the Twilight War series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Driven Eve Kenin (Dorchester/Shomi 978-0-505-02709-X, Sep 2007, $6.99, 312pp, pb) Futuristic romance of a lady trucker and the stranger she hires to help her battle rival truckers in the Northern Waste. The author also writes as Eve Silver.
California Demon Julie Kenner (Jove 978-0-515-14320-1, Jul 2007, $7.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Mark Gerber) [Kate Connor] Reprint (Berkley 2006) humorous dark fantasy about a demon-slaying soccer mom, second in a series after Carpe Demon.
Demons are Forever Julie Kenner (Berkley 978-0-425-21538-8, Jul 2007, $14.00, 292pp, tp, cover by Mark Gerber) [Kate Connor] Humorous dark fantasy, third in the Confessions of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom series begun in Carpe Demon.
Good Ghouls Do Julie Kenner (Berkley Jam 978-0-425-21703-0, Sep 2007, $9.99, 231pp, tp, cover by Pinglet) [Good Ghouls] Young-adult humorous dark fantasy romance sequel to The Good Ghouls Guide to Getting Even.
The Good Ghouls Guide to Getting Even Julie Kenner (Berkley Jam 978-0-425-21391-9, Apr 2007, $9.99, 247pp, tp) [Good Ghouls] Young-adult humorous dark fantasy, the first in a new series. A teen vampire plans revenge on the vampire jocks who turned her.
The Clone Alliance Steven L. Kent (Ace 978-0-441-01542-9, Nov 2007, $7.99, 369pp, pb, cover by Christian McGrath) [Clone Republic] Military SF novel, the third in the series begun in The Clone Republic.
Bright of the Sky Kay Kenyon (Prometheus/Pyr 978-1-59102-541-2, Apr 2007, $25.00, 451pp, hc, cover by Stefan Martiniere) [Entire and the Rose] SF novel, book one of the Entire and the Rose. A former star pilot seeks his missing family in a parallel universe.
Devil May Cry Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martins 978-0-312-36950-7, Aug 2007, $19.95, 308pp, hc) [Dark-Hunter] Supernatural romance novel in the Dark-Hunter series. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor.
Devil May Cry Sherrilyn Kenyon (Audio Renaissance 978-1-4272-0139-3, Aug 2007, $39.95, audio bx) [Dark-Hunter] Audiobook edition of the St. Martins (2007) paranormal romance novel in the Dark-Hunter series. This is an unabridged 9-CD set, read by Holter Graham.
The Dream-Hunter Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martins 0-312-93881-0, Feb 2007, $7.99, 340pp, pb) [Dream-Hunter] Supernatural romance novel set in the Dark-Hunter world, this time following one of the Dream-Hunters descended from the Greek gods. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor.
Dream-Hunter Sherrilyn Kenyon (SFBC #1229030, Jun 2007, $11.99, 340pp, hc) [Dream-Hunter] Reprint (St. Martins 2007) supernatural romance novel, first in a spin-off series in the world of Dark-Hunters. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor. This has ISBN 978-0-7394-7928-5; it lacks a price and has the book club number on the back jacket.
Night Play Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martins 978-0-312-99242-2, Jul 2007, $7.99, 362pp, pb) [Dark-Hunter] Reissue (St. Martins 2004) vampire romance novel, fifth in the Dark-Hunter series about vampire-like Daimon hunters; this follows Were-Hunter Vane. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor. Eighth printing.
Upon the Midnight Clear Sherrilyn Kenyon (St. Martins 978-0-312-94705-7, Nov 2007, $6.99, 282pp, pb) [Dream-Hunter] Supernatural romance novel, the second in the Dream-Hunter series set in the Dark-Hunter world. This also includes Holiday Gatherings, a series of vignettes featuring various characters from previous books in the series. Kenyon also writes as Kinley MacGregor.