Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Good Guy Dean Koontz (Bantam 978-0-553-80481-2, Jun 2007, $27.00, 386pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Associational thriller. An ordinary man is mistaken for a killer working with the police.
The Husband Dean Koontz (Bantam 978-0-553-58909-2, May 2007, $7.99, 415pp, pb, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (Bantam 2006) associational thriller. An international mass market edition was announced for January 2007 but not seen.
Twilight Eyes Dean Koontz (Berkley 978-0-425-21864-8, Dec 2007, $7.99, 460pp, pb) Reissue (W.H. Allen 1987) horror novel, expanded from an earlier (1985) version. This has a new afterword by the author; 39th printing.
Carnifex Tom Kratman (Baen 978-1-4165-7383-8, Nov 2007, $23.00, 675pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Desert Called Peace] Military SF novel, sequel to A Desert Called Peace.
A Desert Called Peace Tom Kratman (Baen 978-1-4165-2145-7, Sep 2007, $22.00, 709pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) [Desert Called Peace] Military SF novel.
This Is Not for You Steven Kreigar (PublishAmerica 1-4241-5025-6, Dec 2006, $19.95, 168pp, tp) Fantasy novel. Four half-brothers, all human-angel hybrids, must stop the tyrant Seluku. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.publishamerica.com].
White Lies Jayne Ann Krentz (SFBC #1218251, Feb 2007, $12.99, 310pp, hc) Reprint (Putnam 2007) paranormal romance of the Arcane Society. This is similar to the Putnam edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Montauk Babies (or the Many Lives of Al Leedskalnin) O. H. Krill (Reality Press 0-9777904-2-8, Feb 2007, $17.95, unpaginated, tp) Near-future SF novella with extensive illustrations by John Malloy. The Earth is literally falling apart, and its up to Al Leedskalnin with his fragmented memories to stop it. Reality Press, 21321 Oakwood Lane, Foresthill CA 95631; [www.reality-entertainment.com/books/htm].
Chasing Midnight Susan Krinard (Harlequin/HQN 978-0-373-77218-6, Oct 2007, $6.99, 488pp, pb) Paranormal romance. The vampire Allegra Chase meets a werewolf in 1920s Greenwich Village.
Desents of Memory: The Life of John Cowper Powys Morine Krissdottir (Overlook Duckworth 978-1-58567-917-1, Aug 2007, $40.00, 480pp, hc) Non-fiction, biography. Includes notes and index. [John Cowper Powys]
Tamora Pierce Bonnie Kunzel & Susan Fichtelberg (Greenwood Press 978-0-313-33660-7, Dec 2007, $45.00, 279+x, hc) Young-adult non-fiction, reference, a guide to Pierces YA fantasies, part of the Teen Reads series of references. Includes bibliography and index. Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, PO Box 5007, Westport CT 06881-5007; [www.greenwood.com]. [Tamora Pierce]
The Guin Saga, Book One: The Leopard Mask Kaoru Kurimoto (Vertical 978-1-932234-81-7, Dec 2007, $9.95, 286pp, tp, cover by Naoyuki Kato) [Guin Saga] Reprint (Vertical 2003) Japanese heroic fantasy novel, first in a series of 100. Translated by Alexander O. Smith & Elye J. Alexander from the Japanese Hyoto no Kamen (Hayakawa Shobo 1979).
The Guin Saga Manga: The Seven Magi: Vol. 1 Kaoru Kurimoto & Kazuaki Yanagisawa (Vertical 978-1-932234-80-0, Dec 2007, $12.95, 164pp, tp, cover by Kazuaki Yanagisawa) [Guin Saga] Graphic novel/manga, the first of three volumes adapting the 1979 novel Guin Saga: Shichinin no Madoushi by Kaoru Kurimoto; translated by Ishamel Arthur.
When I Fall in Love Lynn Kurland (Jove 978-0-515-14296-9, May 2007, $7.99, 445pp, tp) Paranormal/time-travel romance.
High Deryni Katherine Kurtz (Ace 978-0-441-01526-9, Dec 2007, $24.95, 449pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Deryni] Reprint (Ballantine 1973) fantasy novel, third in the original Deryni trilogy, slightly revised to be consistent with later Deryni novels.
At Swords Point Katherine Kurtz & Scott MacMillan (Penguin/Roc 978-0-415-45407-2, Nov 2007, $6.99, 352pp, pb) Reissue (Roc 1994) fantasy novel, created by Kurtz and written by Scott. Copyrighted by Kurtz and packager Bill Fawcett & Associates. Third printing.
The Golden Dreydl Ellen Kushner (Charlesbridge 978-1-58089-135-6, Jun 2007, $15.95, 123pp, hc, cover by Ilene Winn-Lederer) Childrens fantasy novella inspired by Tchaikovskys Nutcracker Suite and Jewish folklore and originally produced for radio. Illustrated by Ilene Winn-Lederer.
The Privilege of the Sword Ellen Kushner (Bantam Spectra 978-0-553-58696-1, Jul 2007, $6.99, 462pp, pb, cover by Marc Peltzer & Stephen Youll) [Swordspoint] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 2006) fantasy novel set in the Riverside world of Swordspoint. Winner of the Locus Award for Fantasy Novel.
The Last Mimzy Henry Kuttner (Ballantine Del Rey 978-0-345-49755-0, Mar 2007, $13.95, 338pp, tp) Reprint (Ballantine 1975 as The Best of Henry Kuttner) collection of 17 stories. This is a movie tie-in edition.
To Live Without Warning Timothy LaBadie (Xlibris 978-1-4257-5370-2, Oct 2007, $27.89, 172pp, hc) SF novel set in a futuristic San Francisco where aliens disguise themselves as homeless people. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.xlibris.com]]; 1-888-795-4274.
Aerie Mercedes Lackey (SFBC #1224541, Nov 2006, $13.99, 291pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Dragon Jousters] Reprint (DAW 2006) fantasy novel, fourth in the Dragon Jousters series. This is similar to the DAW edition, but lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Aerie Mercedes Lackey (DAW 978-0-7564-0426-0, Oct 2007, $7.99, 438pp, pb, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Dragon Jousters] Reprint (DAW 2006) fantasy novel, fourth in the Dragon Jousters series.
Fortunes Fool Mercedes Lackey (Harlequin/Luna 978-0-373-80226-1, Mar 2007, $24.95, 362pp, hc) [Five Hundred Kingdoms] Humorous romantic fantasy novel, the third set in the 500 Kingdoms of The Fairy Godmother. The Sea Kings daughter goes on land to spy.
Reserved for the Cat Mercedes Lackey (DAW 978-0-7564-0362-1, Nov 2007, $25.95, 328pp, hc, cover by Jody A. Lee) [Elemental Masters] Fantasy novel, the fifth in the Elemental Masters series, this time based on Puss in Boots. A desperate French ballet dancer becomes a star in England with the help of her magical cat.
Music to My Sorrow Mercedes Lackey & Rosemary Edghill (Baen 978-1-4165-2147-1, Sep 2007, $7.99, 449pp, pb, cover by Jeff Easley) [Bedlams Bard] Reprint (Baen 2005) fantasy novel in the Bedlams Bard series.
By Slanderous Tongues Mercedes Lackey & Roberta Gellis (Baen 978-1-41652107-5, Feb 2007, $25.00, 533pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [This Scepterd Isle] Historical fantasy novel, third in the series about young Queen Elizabeth begun in This Scepterd Isle.
The Phoenix Unchained Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory (Tor 978-0-7653-1593-9, Oct 2007, $27.95, 398pp, hc) [Enduring Flame] Fantasy novel, the first book of The Enduring Flame trilogy, set in the same world as The Obsidian trilogy.
When Darkness Falls Mercedes Lackey & James Mallory (Tor 978-0-765-34143-3, May 2007, $7.99, 602pp, pb) [Obsidian] Reprint (Tor 2006) fantasy novel, third in the Obsidian trilogy.
Bedlams Edge ed. Mercedes Lackey & Rosemary Edghill (Baen 978-1-4165-2110-5, Feb 2007, $7.99, 348pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Bedlams Bard] Reprint (Baen 2005) original shared-world anthology of 13 stories and an essay about Mercedes Lackeys Bedlams Bard series.
Theodosia Throckmorton and the Serpents of Chaos R. L. LaFevers (Houghton Mifflin 978-0-618-75638-4, Apr 2007, $16.00, 344pp, hc, cover by Yoko Tanaka) Young-adult mystery adventure set in 1906 London. Theodosia Throckmorton has the power to see black magic and curses in artifacts at her fathers museum.
Werewolf Rising R. L. LaFevers (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-47665-2, Aug 2006, $16.99, 199pp, hc, cover by Tony Sahara) Young-adult werewolf novel. An orphan teen discovers he comes from a line of shapeshifters.
Blacksent: Book of the Umbra Michael A. LaFlamme & Michael D. Poe (Infinity Publishing 978-0-7414-3810-2, Sep 2007, $14.95, 244pp, tp, cover by Angela Sasser) Fantasy novel. Infinity Publishing.com, 1094 New DeHaven St., Suite 100, West Conshohocken PA 19428-2713; [www.buybooksontheweb.com].
Dead Souls Michael Laimo (Leisure 978-0-8439-5760-0, Feb 2007, $6.99, 340pp, pb) Horror novel. A teen inherits a farmhouse once owned by a man seeking immortality.
Mainspring Jay Lake (Tor 978-0-7653-1708-7, Jun 2007, $24.95, 320pp, hc, cover by Stephan Martiniere) [Mainspring] Alternate world fantasy novel. An apprentice clockmaker is chosen by God to rewind the Mainspring of the Earth.
Riders of the Steppes Harold Lamb (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 978-0-8032-8050-2, Jun 2007, $21.95, 524+xxii, tp, cover by Darrel Stevens) [Khlit the Cossack] Associational collection of eight stories featuring Khlit the Cossack and their friends, plus an appendix of related letters by the author that appeared in Adventure magazine along with the stories. Volume three of The Complete Cossack Adventures. Edited by Howard Andrew Jones; introduction by E.E. Knight. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 1111 Lincoln Mall, Lincoln NE 68588-0630; 800-755-1105; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.bisonbooks.com].
- · Foreword · Howard Andrew Jones · fw
- · Editors Note · Howard Andrew Jones · ms
- · Acknowledgments · Misc. · ms
- · Introduction · E. E. Knight · in
- · An Edge to a Sword · ss Adventure Jul 10 23
- · The Baiting of the Warriors · ss Adventure Sep 10 23
- · The King Dies · ss Adventure Sep 30 23
- · Men from Below · ss Adventure Oct 20 23
- · The Witch of Aleppo · ss Adventure Jan 30 24
- · Bogatyr · ss Adventure Sep 30 25
- · White Falcon · na Adventure Nov 30 25 (+2)
- · The Winged Rider · ss Adventure Jan 10 26
- · Appendix · lt
- · About the Author · Misc. · bg
- · Source Acknowledgments · Misc. · bi
Swords of the Steppes Harold Lamb (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 978-0-8032-805190, Jun 2007, $21.95, 615+xx, tp, cover by Darrel Stevens) [Khlit the Cossack] Associational collection of 19 pulp adventure stories featuring Cossaks (some related to Khlit the Cossak, others standalone), plus an appendix of related letters by the author that appeared in Adventure magazine along with some of the stories. Volume four of The Complete Cossack Adventures. Edited by Howard Andrew Jones; introduction by Barrie Tait Collins. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 1111 Lincoln Mall, Lincoln NE 68588-0630; 800-755-1105; [email@example.com]; [www.bisonbooks.com].
- · Foreword · Howard Andrew Jones · fw
- · Acknowledgments · Misc. · ms
- · Introduction · Barrie Tait Collins · in
- · The Wolf Master · ss Adventure Dec 8 26
- · The Outrider · nv Adventure Sep 15 29 (+1)
- · Koum · ss Adventure Jul 15 31
- · Over the River · ss Adventure Aug 15 31
- · The Post in the Steppe · ss Adventure Jan 15 32
- · The Devils Song · ss Colliers Apr 10 37
- · Mark of Astrakhan · ss Adventure Nov 20 25
- · Red Hands · ss The Big Magazine Mar 35
- · Witch Woman · ss The Saturday Evening Post Oct 5 46
- · Sangar · ss Adventure Aug 20 22
- · The Vampire of Khor · ss Colliers Jan 6 34
- · Singing Girl · ss Colliers Jun 24 39
- · The Moon of Shawwul · ss Adventure Aug 15 28
- · Cossack Wolf · ss Colliers Feb 28 42
- · The Stone Woman · ss Colliers Sep 26 42
- · City under the Sea · ss Colliers Jan 2 43
- · The Two Swords of Genghis Khan · ss Colliers Feb 5 44
- · The Phantom Caravan · ss Argosy Jan 44
- · Wolf-Hounds of the Steppe · nv Top-Notch Jul 15 17
- · Appendix · lt
- · About the Author · Misc. · bg
- · Source Acknowledgments · Misc. · bi
Adventures in the Vortex Lane & Louis Lambert (Rune Publications 978-0-9792693-1-8, Jun 2007, $8.99, 304pp, tp) Humorous young-adult fantasy novel, the first in a series. Kids transported to the land of the Vortex must find their way home to Kansas. A first novel. Rune Publications, PO Box 9315, Shawnee Mission KS 66201; [www.runepublications.com].
Lucys Blade John Lambshead (Baen 978-1-4165-2121-1, May 2007, $24.00, 371pp, hc, cover by Clyde Caldwell) Historical fantasy novel. Lady Lucy Dennys, possessed by a demon, fights to protect Queen Elizabeth and England from the magic of Spain. A first novel.
The Secret Message of Jules Verne: Decoding His Masonic, Rosicrucian, and Occult Writings Michel Lamy (Inner Traditions/Destiny Books 978-1-59477-161-3, Jun 2007, $19.95, 312pp, tp) Non-fiction, a guide to symbols and secrets encrypted in Vernes works. Translated from the French Jules Verne, Initié et initiater (Editions Payot 1984).
Red Spikes Margo Lanagan (Random House/Knopf 978-0-375-84320-4, Oct 2007, $16.99, 167pp, hc, cover by Jeremy Caniglia) Fantasy/mainstream collection of ten stories. First US edition (Allen & Unwin Australia 2006).
- 1 · Baby Jane · ss
- 23 · Monkeys Paternoster · ss
- 29 · A Good Heart · ss
- 41 · Winkie · ss Red Spikes, Allen & Unwin Australia, 2006
- 59 · A Feather in the Breast of God · ss
- 77 · Hero Vale · ss
- 97 · Under Hell, Over Heaven · ss
- 117 · Mouse Maker · ss
- 129 · Forever Upward · ss
- 149 · Daughter of the Clay · nv
The Hidden Worlds Kristin Landon (Ace 978-0-441-01511-5, Jul 2007, $7.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Craig White) [Hidden Worlds] SF novel. The remnants of humanity hide on backwater planets from the Cold Minds, the machine intelligences that destroyed Earth. A first novel.
Skulduggery Pleasant Derek Landy (HarperCollins 0-06-123115-0, May 2007, $17.99, 392pp, hc, cover by Tom Percival) [Skulduggery Pleasant] Humorous young-adult dark fantasy about a sorcerer skeleton and his girl sidekick who battle the evil undead. A first novel.
The Missing Sarah Langan (Harper 978-0-06-087291-5, Sep 2007, $6.99, 400pp, pb) [Keeper] Supernatural thriller, sequel to The Keeper. Kids uncover something buried in the woods, releasing a mysterious ailment. First US edition (Headline 4/07 as Virus).
We, Robots Sue Lange (Aqueduct Press 978-1-933500-11-9, Mar 2007, $9.00, 98pp, ph) SF novella in perfect-bound chapbook form. A robot starts feeling emotions on the eve of the Singularity. Part of the Conversation Pieces chapbook series. Aqueduct Press, PO Box 95787, Seattle WA 98145-2787; [www.aqueductpress.com].
The End of Harry Potter? David Langford (Tor 978-0-765-31934-0, Mar 2007, $12.95, 196pp, tp, cover by David Wyatt) [Harry Potter] Young-adult non-fiction, speculating on possible developments in the final Harry Potter novel. First US edition (Gollancz 11/06).
The Wyrdest Link: Terry Pratchetts Discworld Quizbook David Langford (Trafalgar Square/Gollancz 0-575-07704-2, Aug 2007, $11.95, 289pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) Humorous non-fiction. This first US edition (Gollancz 2002) is the 2006 Gollancz edition with stickers, distributed in the US by Trafalgar Square, PO Box 257, Howe Hill Road, North Pomfret VT 05053; 800-423-4525; [www.trafalgarsquarebooks.com].
God of the Razor Joe R. Lansdale (Subterranean Press 978-1-59606-115-6, Nov 2007, $40.00, 295pp, hc, cover by Timothy Truman) Collection of the novel The Nightrunners (1987) and six related stories, one original. Illustrated by Clenn Chadbourne. A signed, slipcased edition of 150 ($100.00) is sold out. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
- 7 · Introduction: Random Thoughts on the Twenty Year Anniversary of The Nightrunners · in *
- 13 · The Nightrunners · n. Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1987
- 203 · God of the Razor · ss Grue #5 87
- 215 · Not from Detroit · ss Midnight Graffiti Fll 88
- 227 · King of Shadows · nv Joe R. Lansdales Lords of the Razor, ed. Bill Sheehan & William Schafer, Subterranean Press, 2006
- 259 · The Shaggy House · ss The Horror Show Fll 86
- 269 · Incident On and Off a Mountain Road · nv Night Visions 8, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1991
- 291 · Janet Finds the Razor · ss *
Lost Echoes Joe R. Lansdale (Subterranean Press, Feb 2007, $60.00, 330pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) Horror novel about a young man who can hear the echoes of the past. Simultaneous with the Vintage/Black Lizard edition. This is a signed, limited edition of 400; a traycased edition of 15 ($250.00) is also available. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
The Shadows, Kith and Kin Joe R. Lansdale (Subterranean Press #978-1-59606-0814, Apr 2007, $35.00, 287pp, hc, cover by Mark A. Nelson) Collection of eight stories, one original. This is a signed edition; a traycased, lettered edition of 15 ($250.00) is also available. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
- 9 · A Quick Authors Note · pr *
- 15 · The Shadows, Kith and Kin · ss Outsiders, ed. Nancy Holder & Nancy Kilpatrick, Roc, 2005
- 35 · Deadmans Road [Rev. Jebidiah Rains] · nv Weird Tales Feb/Mar, 2007
- 71 · The Long Dead Day · ss Subterranean #6, 2007
- 77 · White Mule, Spotted Pig · na Bloodlines, ed. Maggie Estep & Jason Starr, Vintage Books, 2006
- 131 · Bill, the Little Steam Shovel · ss Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy, ed. Al Sarrantonio, Penguin/Roc, 2004
- 171 · Alone · Joe R. Lansdale & Melissa Mia Hall · nv Jim Baens Universe (online) Dec, 2006
- 193 · The Events Concerning a Nude Fold-Out Found in a Harlequin Romance · nv Dark at Heart, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Karen Lansdale, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1992
- 247 · The Gentlemans Hotel [Rev. Jebidiah Rains] · nv *
Retro Pulp Tales ed. Joe R. Lansdale (Subterranean Press 1-59606-008-5, Jun 2006, $40.00, 235pp, hc, cover by Timothy Truman) Original anthology of 12 stories written in old pulp style. Authors include F. Paul Wilson, Alex Irvine, and Kim Newman. This is dated 2006, but was not seen until now; the $40.00 trade edition is sold out, but a limited edition of 250 (-009-3, $65.00) signed by all the authors and a deluxe lettered edition of 26 ($150.00) are also available. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
Just Like the Jetsons Warren Lapine (Wilder Publication 0-9773040-4-3, Mar 2006, $29.99, 219pp, hc) Collection of 19 stories, two original. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now. A print-on-demand edition. Wilder Publications, PO Box 3005, Radford VA 24143-3005.
- 7 · Introduction · in *
- 13 · The Cyber Way [as by Jamie Wild] · ss Absolute Magnitude Win 96
- 30 · Far from Home · ss Chronicle #260, 2005
- 41 · Almost Human [as by Jamie Wild] · ss Absolute Magnitude Fll, 2003
- 56 · Dont Jump · ss Altair #1 98
- 66 · Can Spring Be Far Behind? · ss *
- 75 · Raw Energy · vi Vision #17 93
- 77 · Junk Mail · ss Event Horizon Online #1 97
- 84 · Famous Dead People · ss Audiozine
- 90 · Mona Lisa · ss Dreams of Decadence Fll/Win 97
- 98 · Angel of Darkness [My Angel of Darkness] · ss Dreams of Decadence Spr 97
- 103 · The Hunger · ss Fresh Blood Aug 94
- 107 · Just Like the Jetsons · ss *
- 111 · Gainful Employment · ss Weird Tales Sum, 2000
- 118 · Fly in Peace · vi Pirate Writings Fll 94
- 122 · In Memoriam [as by Jamie Wild] · ss Absolute Magnitude Sum 99
- 127 · The End of Old Age · vi Fantastic Collectibles Magazine Nov 92
- 133 · Fridays [as by Jamie Wild] · ss Absolute Magnitude Aut, 2001
- 147 · Siblings · ss Absolute Magnitude Sum 95
- 163 · Fair Game [as by Jamie Wild] · nv Absolute Magnitude Fll 95
Magic Lessons Justine Larbalestier (Penguin/Razorbill 978-1-59514-124-8, Feb 2007, $7.99, 280pp, tp, cover by Justine Larbalestier) [Reason Cansino] Reprint (Razorbill 2006) young-adult contemporary novel fantasy, volume two in a trilogy after Magic or Madness.
The Magic of Reason Justine Larbalestier (SFBC #1233066, Apr 2007, $14.99, 570pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) [Reason Cansino] Omnibus of three young-adult contemporary fantasy novels in the trilogy about Reason Cansino: Magic or Madness (2005), Magic Lessons (2006), and Magics Child (2007). This has ISBN 978-0-7394-8206-3; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- · Magic or Madness · n. Razorbill, 2005
- · Magic Lessons · n. Razorbill, 2006
- · Magics Child · n. Razorbill, 2007