Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
When the People Fell Cordwainer Smith (Baen 978-1-4165-2146-4, Sep 2007, $15.00, 599pp, tp, cover by Tom Kidd) Reprint (NESFA Press 1993 as The Rediscovery of Man) collection of 28 stories, 22 set in the instrumentality. This drops five of the stories from the NESFA edition, and adds the introduction by Frederik Pohl from the 1979 Del Rey collection The Instrumentality of Mankind, the contents of which are also included here.
- vii · Introduction · Frederik Pohl · in, 1979
- · Section I: Instrumentality Stories
- 1 · No, No, Not Rogov! · ss If Feb 59
- 21 · War No. 81-Q · ss The Rediscovery of Man, NESFA Press, 1993; revised from The Adjutant Jun 28, as by Karolman Junghar.
- 33 · Mark Elf [Mark XI; Vom Acht sisters] · ss Saturn May 57
- 47 · The Queen of the Afternoon [Vom Acht sisters] · nv Galaxy Apr 78
- 75 · Scanners Live in Vain · nv Fantasy Book #6 50
- 113 · The Lady Who Sailed The Soul · nv Galaxy Apr 60
- 139 · When the People Fell · ss Galaxy Apr 59
- 151 · Think Blue, Count Two · na Galaxy Feb 63
- 183 · The Colonel Came Back from Nothing-at-All · ss
- 193 · The Game of Rat and Dragon · ss Galaxy Oct 55
- 209 · The Burning of the Brain · ss If Oct 58
- 219 · From Gustibles Planet · ss If Jul 62
- 227 · Himself in Anachron · ss The Rediscovery of Man, NESFA Press, 1993
- 237 · The Crime and the Glory of Commander Suzdal · ss Amazing May 64
- 255 · Golden the Ship Was Oh! Oh! Oh! · ss Amazing Apr 59
- 265 · Drunkboat · nv Amazing Oct 63
- 297 · A Planet Named Shayol · nv Galaxy Oct 61
- 335 · On the Gem Planet [Casher ONeill] · nv Galaxy Oct 63
- 363 · On the Storm Planet [Casher ONeill] · na Galaxy Feb 65
- 443 · On the Sand Planet [Casher ONeill] · nv Amazing Dec 65
- 475 · Three to a Given Star [Casher ONeill] · nv Galaxy Oct 65
- 499 · Down to a Sunless Sea · nv F&SF Oct 75
- 529 · Section II: Miscellaneous Works
- 531 · War No. 81-Q [as by Karolman Junghar] · ss The Adjutant Jun 28
- 535 · Western Science Is So Wonderful · ss If Dec 58
- 549 · Nancy [The Nancy Routine] · ss Satellite Mar 59
- 563 · The Fife of Bodidharma · ss Fantastic Jun 59
- 573 · Angerhelm · nv Star Science Fiction Stories #6, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1959
- 595 · The Good Friends · ss Worlds of Tomorrow Oct 63
Tantalize Cynthia Leitich Smith (Candlewick Press 978-0-7636-2791-1, Mar 2007, $16.99, 317pp, hc) Young-adult vampire novel. Quincie Morris family opens a vampire-themed restaurant.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds 10 ed. Dean Wesley Smith (Pocket 978-1-4165-4438-8, Jul 2007, $15.00, 354+ix, tp) [Star Trek] Original Star Trek anthology of 19 stories written by fans as part of a contest (rules included), the tenth in a series. Introduction by Smith. Copyrighted by CBS Studios. 559
The Fourth r" George O. Smith (Wildside Press 1-55742-933-2, 2006, $13.95, 178pp, tp) Reprint (Ballantine 1959) SF novel. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now. A print-on-demand edition available online at [www.wildsidepress.com]; Wildside Press, 9710 Traville Gateway Dr. #234, Rockville MD 20850.
Evermore ed. James Robert Smith & Stephen Mark Rainey (Arkham House 978-0-87054-185-8, Nov 2006, $34.95, 237+viii, hc, cover by Tony Patrick) Original anthology of 15 stories, four reprints, looking at Edgar Allan Poe and the world as he might have seen it, in reality or his imagination. Authors include Melanie Tem, Kealan Patrick Burke, and Fred Chappell. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now.
Bone: Old Mans Cave Jeff Smith (Scholastic/Graphix 978-0-439-70635-3, Aug 2007, $9.99, 118pp, tp, cover by Jeff Smith) [Bone] Reprint (Cartoon Books ????) graphic novel, the sixth volume collecting the epic fantasy comic book, now appearing for the first time in color. A hardcover edition (-70628-5, $18.99) is also available.
Bone: Rock Jaw: Master of the Eastern Border Jeff Smith (Scholastic/Graphix 978-0-439-70636-0, Feb 2007, $9.99, 116pp, tp, cover by Jeff Smith) [Bone] Reprint (Cartoon Books ????) graphic novel, the fifth collection of the epic fantasy comic book, now appearing for the first time in color. A hardcover edition (-70627-8, $18.99) is also available.
Night of the Huntress Kathryn Smith (HarperCollins/Avon 978-0-06-084991-7, Feb 2007, $5.99, 370pp, pb) [Brotherhood of the Blood] Paranormal romance. Bishop, a vampire who fights evil, faces the determined female vampire hunter Marika.
Taken by the Night Kathryn Smith (HarperCollins/Avon 978-0-06-124502-2, Nov 2007, $5.99, 370pp, pb) [Brotherhood of the Blood] Paranormal romance. A vampire called Saint helps a madams daughter track a killer.
Endgame Kristine Smith (HarperCollins/Eos 978-0-06-050359-8, Nov 2007, $7.99, 404pp, pb, cover by McGrath) [Jani Kilian] SF novel, the fifth in the Jani Kilian series. An assassination threatens the Thalassan community of human-alien hybrids.
The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle L. J. Smith (HarperTeen 978-0-06-114097-6, Sep 2007, $7.99, 492pp, tp, cover by Chad Michael Ward) [Vampire Diaries] Omnibus of the first two young-adult vampire romance novels in the series: The Vampire Diaries, Volume I: The Awakening (1991) and Volume II: The Struggle (1991). Copyrighted by the author and packager Daniel Weiss & Associates.
- · The Awakening · n. Harper Paperback, 1991
- · The Struggle · n. Harper Paperback, 1991
The Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion L. J. Smith (HarperTeen 978-0-06-114098-3, Jan 2008, $8.99, 520pp, tp, cover by Chad Michael Ward) [Vampire Diaries] Omnibus of the third and fourth young-adult vampire romance novels in the series: The Vampire Diaries, Volume III: The Fury (1991) and Volume IV: Dark Reunion (1992). Copyrighted by the author and packager Daniel Weiss & Associates.
- 1 · The Fury · n. Harper Paperback, 1991
- 247 · Dark Reunion · n. Harper Paperback, 1992
Tomes of the Dead: The Words of Their Roaring Matthew Smith (Abaddon Books US 978-1-905437-13-9, Jul 2007, $7.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Tomes of the Dead] Historical zombie horror novel, the second in a shared-world series. This first US edition is the Abaddon UK (4/07) edition. Copyrighted by Rebellion.
The Fox Sherwood Smith (DAW 978-0-7564-0421-5, Aug 2007, $25.95, 691pp, hc, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Inda] Fantasy novel, the second in a series about an exiled prince. Inda escapes pirates and decides to put them out of business.
Inda Sherwood Smith (DAW 978-0-7564-0422-2, Aug 2007, $7.99, 612pp, pb, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Inda] Reprint (DAW 2006) fantasy novel, the first in a series.
Betwixt Tara Bray Smith (Little, Brown 978-0-316-6033-2, Oct 2007, $17.99, 488pp, hc, cover by Jimmy Turrell) Young-adult fantasy novel. Three teens with odd abilities learn of their true origins and uncertain destinies.
The Quest Wilbur Smith (St. Martins 978-0-312-31842-0, May 2007, $27.95, 504pp, hc) [Egyptian] Historical fantasy novel of ancient Egypt, continuing Smiths Egyptian series, following the warlock Taita as terrible drought and plagues strike the kingdom. First US edition (Macmillan UK 4/07).
Gravitys Rainbow Illustrated: One Picture for Every Page Zak Smith (Tin House Books 978-0-9773127-9-5, Dec 2006, $39.95, 760+xvii, tp, cover by Frank Miller) Art book with illustrations, most in b&w, for each page of Pynchons novel (in the Viking 1973 first edtion). Introduction by Steve Erickson, foreword by the artist. This is the 2006 first edition, pulled when Pynchons publisher objected to the title, which was changed to and retitled Pictures Showing What Happened on Each Page of Thomas Pynchons Novel Gravitys Rainbow; this has the new title pasted over the old. The second printing (with the new title) was listed last month. Tin House Books [www.tinhouse.com].
Pictures Showing What Happens on Each Page of Thomas Pynchons Novel Gravitys Rainbow Zak Smith (Tin House Books 978-0-9773127-9-5, Dec 2006, $39.95, 760+xvii, tp, cover by Frank Miller) Reprint (Tin House Books 2006, not seen) art book with illustrations, most in b&w, for each page of Pynchons novel (in the Viking 1973 first edtion). Introduction by Steve Erickson, foreword by the artist. This indicates second printing, but was not seen previously.
Voice of Crow Jeri Smith-Ready (Harlequin/Luna 978-0-373-80290-6, Oct 2007, $14.95, 457pp, tp) [Aspect of Crow] Fantasy romance novel, second in the Aspect of Crow series after Eyes of Crow.
Roses of Blood on Barbwire Vines D. L. Snell (Permuted Press 978-0-9789707-1-0, May 2007, $12.95, 243pp, tp, cover by Stephen Blundell) Horror novel. Vampires protect their human livestock from zombies. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.permutedpress.com].
Installing Linux on a Dead Badger (and Other Oddities) Lucy A. Snyder (Creative Guy Publishing 1-894953-47-9, Nov 2007, $13.95, 105pp, tp) Collection of 12 stories, two original, many originally published online. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.creativeguypublishing.com]; Creative Guy Publishing, 206-7600 Moffatt Rd., Richmond BC V6Y 3V1 Canada.
- 7 · Installing Linux on a Dead Badger: Users Notes · ss Strange Horizons (online) Apr 5, 2004
- 7 · Authorities Concerned Over Rise of Teen Linux Gangs · ss The Town Drunk Dec, 2006
- 25 · Your Corporate Network and the Forces of Darkness · ss Strange Horizons (online) Jun 20, 2005; illus. D. E. Christman
- 37 · Faery Cats: The Cutest Killers · ss Strange Horizons (online) Feb 27, 2006
- 45 · Dead Men Dont Need Coffee Breaks · ss The Town Drunk Nov, 2006
- 49 · Business Insourcing Offers Life After Death · ss The Town Drunk Nov, 2006
- 53 · Corporate Vampires Sink Teeth Into Business World · ss The Town Drunk Nov, 2006
- 59 · Unemployed Playing Dead to Find Work · ss The Town Drunk Nov, 2006
- 63 · Trolls Gone Wild · ss *
- 67 · The Great VüDü Linux Teen Zombie Massacree · ss Spacesuits and Sixguns Spr, 2007
- 81 · Wake Up Naked Monkey Youre Going to Die · ss Horror World Mar, 2007
- 87 · In the Shadow of the Fryolator · ss *
- 101 · Authors Acknowledgements · ms
- 103 · About the Author · Misc. · bg
- 107 · About the Artists · Misc. · bg
Sparks and Shadows Lucy A. Snyder (HW Press 978-0-9792346-1-3, May 2007, $18.95, 352pp, tp, cover by Deena Warner) Collection of 17 stories (four original), four humor essays (one original), and seven poems (four original). Introduction by Nalo Hopkinson. This is a limited edition of 300 signed by both Snyder & Hopkinson. HW Press, Fair Lawn NJ 07410; [www.horrorworld.org].
- 7 · Authors Note · pr *
- 11 · Introduction · Nalo Hopkinson · in *
- 15 · Dime Novel · pm *
- 17 · A Preference for Silence · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Win 99
- 21 · Boxlunch · nv *
- 43 · Dark Matter · pm Chiaroscuro (online) #11, 2002
- 45 · Through Thy Bounty · ss The Midnighters Club Jun, 2001
- 61 · The Fish and the Bicycle · pm *
- 63 · Camp Songs: Innocent Fun or Diabolical Brainwashing Plot? · ar Full Unit Hookup Sum, 2005
- 69 · Why I Cant Stay Out of My Husbands Pants · es *
- 73 · The Dickification of the American Female · es Clean Sheets.com Jun 15, 2005
- 77 · Menstruation for Men · ar Horror Quarterly Aut, 2004
- 81 · Permian Basin Blues · pm Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet #7, 2000
- 83 · Feel the Love · ss *
- 97 · Sara and the Telecats · ss Farthing Sep, 2006
- 115 · ...And Her Shadow · nv Blood Magic, Eggplant Literary Productions, 2001
- 139 · The Dogs of Summer · nv Blood Magic, Eggplant Literary Productions, 2001
- 163 · The Jarred Heart · pm *
- 165 · The Sheets Were Clean and Dry · ss Masques V, ed. J. N. Williamson & Gary Braunbeck, Gauntlet, 2006
- 175 · Burning Bright · nv *
- 197 · Roses of Gomorrah · nv *
- 223 · Photograph of a Lady, Circa 1890 · pm Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet #7, 2000
- 225 · Soul Searching · nv Cosmic Visions website Fll 97
- 257 · Flesh and Blood · ss Blood Magic, Eggplant Literary Productions, 2001
- 277 · Forgetting · ss Jackhammer E-Zine Apr, 2000
- 285 · Glowfish · pm *
- 287 · The Dolls Hearts · ss The Midnighters Club Jun, 2001
- 301 · So Lonely at the Grave · ss Dark Lurkers, ed. Paul Melniczek, Ontario, Canada: Double Dragon Press, 2004
- 313 · ...Next on Channel 77 · ss Guardian Angels, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Cumberland House, 2000
- 339 · Darwins Children · ss Snow Monkey Dec 99
Magic Study Maria V. Snyder (Harlequin/Mira 978-0-7783-2392-1, Sep 2007, $13.95, 419pp, tp) [Poison Study] Reprint (Luna 2006) fantasy romance novel, sequel to Poison Study.
Poison Study Maria V. Snyder (Harlequin/Luna 978-0-7782-2433-1, Feb 2007, $13.95, 409pp, tp) [Poison Study] Reprint (Luna 2005) fantasy novel.
DragonLance: The New Adventures: Pillar of Flame Ree Soesbee (Wizards of the Coast/Mirrorstone 978-0-7869-4248-0, Jan 2007, $5.99, 243pp, tp, cover by Vinod Rams) [DragonLance: The New Adventures: Elements] Young-adult novelization based on the world roleplaying game, the first book in the Elements subseries. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
The Harrowing Alexandra Sokoloff (St. Martins 978-0-312-35749-8, Nov 2007, $6.99, 299pp, pb) Reprint (St. Martins 2006) ghost story.
The Danger Dance Caro Soles (Haworth Positronic Press 978-1-56023-621-4, Mar 2007, $16.95, 244pp, tp) [Abulon Dance] SF novel about hermaphroditic dancers from the planet Merculian, sequel to The Abulon Dance. Dancer Eulio and his lover Beny are ordered to become undercover investigators looking for a spy on a military starship. Haworth Press, 10 Alice Street, Binghamton NY 13904-1580; [www.HaworthPress.com].
The Electric Church Jeff Somers (Orbit US 978-0-316-02172-2, Sep 2007, $12.99, 353pp, tp, cover by Jae Lee) [Avery Cates] SF novel. Simultaneous with the Orbit UK edition.
Zig Zag José Carlos Somoza (HarperCollins/Rayo 978-0-06-119371-2, Apr 2007, $24.95, 504pp, hc) Near-future SF thriller. A secret project researching String Theory uncovers a way to view the past, and unleashes a deadly threat.
Vampirates: Demons of the Ocean Justin Somper (Little, Brown 978-0-316-01444-1, Apr 2007, $5.99, 330pp, tp, cover by Jon Foster) Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 2005) young-adult postholocaust vampire pirate novel.
Vampirates: Tide of Terror Justin Somper (Little, Brown 978-0-316-01374-1, Jun 2007, $15.99, 459pp, hc, cover by Jon Foster) [Vampirates] Young-adult postholocaust vampire pirate novel, the second in a series. First US edition (Simon & Schuster UK 3/06).
Touched by Darkness Catherine Spangler (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21400-8, Jan 2007, $6.99, 292pp, pb) [Sentinel] Paranormal dark fantasy romance. A woman tries to escape the supernatural underword by moving to a small Texas town.
Touched by Fire Catherine Spangler (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21795-5, Oct 2007, $6.99, 298pp, pb, cover by Don Sipley) [Sentinel] Paranormal dark fantasy romance, sequel to Touched by Darkness in the Sentinel series about superhumans who fight evil.
Be Still My Vampire Heart Kerrelyn Sparks (HarperCollins/Avon 978-0-06-111844-9, Apr 2007, $5.99, 372pp, pb) [Love at Stake] Vampire romance, sequel to How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire.
Guardian of the Veil Gregory Spencer (Simon & Schuster/Howard Books 978-1-4165-4341-1, Aug 2007, $13.00, 382pp, tp) [Three-Dimensional Tales] Christian fantasy novel in the Three-Dimensional Tales series, sequel to The Welkening. The four Misfits, back from the world of Welken, keep seeing signs that suggest the two worlds are merging.
Endless Blue Wen Spencer (Baen 978-1-4165-7385-2, Dec 2007, $25.00, 344pp, hc, cover by Kurt Miller) SF novel. A mission seeking a missing spaceship ends up in the Sargasso of space.
Wolf Who Rules Wen Spencer (Baen 978-1-4165-7381-4, Nov 2007, $7.99, 470pp, pb, cover by Kurt Miller) [Steel City] Reprint (Baen 2006) fantasy novel, sequel to Tinker.
108 Drawings ed. Allen Spiegel (Allen Spiegel Fine Arts 0-9642069-9-4, Jul 2006, $27.00, 108pp, tp) Art book, a selection of 108 drawings and sketches by 12 artists including Dave McKean, Jon J. Muth, Phil Hale, and Greg Spalenka. There is limited fantastic content; many of the works are nonfantastic figure studies and nudes. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now. Allen Spiegel Fine Arts, 221 Lobos Ave, Pacific Grove CA 93950; [www.asfa.biz/107drawings.html]; add $6.00 shipping.
Big Fat Little Lit ed. Art Spiegelman & Françoise Mouly (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-240706-2, Sep 2006, $14.99, 144pp, tp, cover by Art Spiegelman) Art book, an anthology of the 36 best graphic stories chosen from the editors previous three books in the series: Little Lit: Folklore and Fairytale Funnies (2000), Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids (2001), and Little Lit: It Was a Dark and Silly Night (2003). This is dated 2006, but not seen until now.
Spy Goddess, Book Two: To Hawaii, with Love Michael P. Spradlin (HarperTeen 978-0-06-059412-1, Jan 2008, $6.99, 269pp, pb) [Spy Goddess] Reprint (HarperCollins 2006) young-adult supernatural spy novel, second in the series.
Tomes of the Dead: Death Hulk Matthew Sprange (Abaddon Books US 1-905437-03-X, Apr 2007, $7.99, 276pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Tomes of the Dead] Historical zombie horror novel, the first in a shared-world series. This first US edition is the Abaddon UK (2006) edition. Copyrighted by Rebellion.
Dusssie Nancy Springer (Bloomsbury/Walker US 978-0-8027-9649-3, Oct 2007, $16.95, 166pp, hc, cover by Tristan Elwell) Young-adult fantasy novel. A girl hits puberty and her hair turns into snakes just like her long-lost aunt Medusas.
The Afterblight Chronicles: The Culled Simon Spurrier (Abaddon Books US 1-905437-01-3, Apr 2007, $7.99, 379pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Afterblight Chronicles] Postholocaust SF novel, the first in a shared-world series about a world devastated by plague. This first US edition is the Abaddon UK (2006) edition. Copyrighted by Rebellion.