Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2007
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Body Electric Susan Squires (Dorchester/Love Spell 978-0-8439-5036-6, Dec 2007, $6.99, 367pp, pb) Reissue (Leisure 2002) SF cyberthriller/romance.
One with the Night Susan Squires (St. Martins 978-0-94102-4, Apr 2007, $6.99, 341pp, pb) [One with the Night] Historical vampire romance, the first in a series. A woman in 1822 London gets infected by a blood sample from a vampire seeking a cure.
One with the Shadows Susan Squires (St. Martins 978-0-312-94103-1, Dec 2007, $6.99, 322pp, pb) [One with the Night] Historical vampire romance, the second in a series after One with the Night.
Darkest Dreams Jennifer St. Giles (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21303-2, 2007, $6.99, 320pp, pb) Reissue (Berkley Sensation 2006) paranormal historical/gothic romance, sequel to Midnight Secrets. Copyrighted by Jenni Leigh Grizzle. Second printing.
The Lure of the Wolf Jennifer St. Giles (Pocket 978-1-4165-1333-9, Aug 2007, $6.99, 370pp, pb) [Shadowmen] Werewolf romance in the Shadowmen series. A doctor searching for her missing sister accidentally summons the spirit of a shape-shifter warrior.
Silken Shadows Jennifer St. Giles (Berkley Sensation 978-0-425-21794-8, Dec 2007, $7.99, 304pp, pb, cover by Phil Heffernan) Paranormal Victorian romantic suspense novel. Psychic Gemini Andrews stows away on a ship to help the attractive captain investigate murders. Copyrighted by Jenni Leigh Grizzle.
Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy ed. Dana Stabenow (Ace 978-0-441-01464-4, Jan 2007, $7.99, 286pp, pb, cover by Jonathan Barkat) Reprint (Ace 2004) anthology of 12 fantasy mystery stories. This is copyrighted by Stabenow and Tekno Books.
Science Fact and Science Fiction: An Encyclopedia Brian Stableford (Routledge 0-415-97460-7, Sep 2006, $165.00, xxv+729pp, hc) Non-fiction, reference, a look at connections between science and literature, with 300 entries from acoustics to zoology, including SF and various subgenres, and over 40 authors. Includes bibliography and index. Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 270 Madison Avenue, New York NY 10016; [www.routledge-ny.com].
The New Faust at the Tragicomique Brian M. Stableford (Black Coat Press 978-1-932983-91-3, Apr 2007, $20.95, 189pp, tp, cover by Michelle Bigot) Horror novel with possible fantasy elements. Mysterious deaths disrupt attempts to stage an updated version of Faust in 1899 Paris. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.blackcoatpress.com], or from Hollywood Comics.com, PO Box 17270, Encino CA 91416.
News from the Moon ed. Brian M. Stableford (Black Coat Press 978-1-932983-89-0, Mar 2007, $22.95, 319pp, tp, cover by Gil Formosa) Anthology of nine French proto-SF stories from 1768 to 1902, translated from the French by Brian Stableford. Three previously appeared in English. Authors include Albert Robida and Guy de Maupassant. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.blackcoatpress.com], or from Hollywood Comics.com, PO Box 17270, Encino CA 91416.
MechWarrior: Dark Age: Masters of War Michael A. Stackpole (Penguin/Roc 978-0-451-46137-7, Apr 2007, $6.99, 289pp, pb) [MechWarrior: Dark Age] Novelization, the 25th based on the computer game based on the Battletech roleplaying game. Copyrighted by WizKids.
The New World Michael A. Stackpole (Bantam Spectra 978-0-553-38239-6, Jul 2007, $15.00, 399pp, tp, cover by Stephen Youll) [Age of Discovery] Fantasy novel, third in The Age of Discovery trilogy.
The Seer David Stahler, Jr. (HarperCollins/Eos 978-0-06-052288-9, Apr 2007, $16.99, 248pp, hc, cover by Steve Stone) [Truesight] Young-adult SF novel, sequel to Truesight. Jacob flees the colony of the blind at Harmony only to find the sighted world equally hostile.
Hollow Earth David Standish (Perseus Books Group/Da Capo Press 978-0-306-81533-1, Aug 2007, $16.95, 303pp, tp) Reprint (Da Capo 2006) non-fiction, subtitled The Long and Curious History of Imagining Strange Lands, Fantastical Creatures, Advanced Civilizations, and Marvelous Machines Below the Earths Surface.
Bella at Midnight Diane Stanley (HarperCollins 978-0-06-077575-9, Jan 2008, $6.99, 279pp, tp, cover by Bagram Ibatoulline) Reprint (HarperCollins 2006) young-adult fantasy loosely based on Cinderella.
Blood Web Gary Starta (Charles River Press 1-97913048-5, Nov 2007, $16.95, 387pp, tp) [Caitlin Diggs] Paranormal suspense novel, the first in a series featuring FBI agent Caitlin Diggs. Diggs investigates a crystal with strange powers. Charles River Press, 541 Long Lane, Casper WY 82609; [www.charlesriverpress.com].
Halo: Contact Harvest Joseph Staten (Tor 978-0-7653-1569-4, Oct 2007, $14.95, 396pp, tp) [Halo] Novelization based on the computer game, by one of the designers. Copyrighted by Microsoft.
Lily Dale: Awakening Wendy Corsi Staub (Bloomsbury/Walker US 978-0-8027-9654-7, Sep 2007, $15.95, 230pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novel. Calla moves to Lily Dale, a town of psychics, and starts to wonder if she might by psychic herself.
First Light Rebecca Stead (Random House/Lamb 978-0-375-84017-3, Apr 2007, $15.99, 328pp, hc, cover by Ericka ORourke) Young-adult SF novel. Global warming researchers finds a lost colony living beneath the Greenland ice. A first novel.
Clarke County, Space Allen Steele (Ace 978-0-441-11044-5, Dec 2007, $7.99, 231pp, pb, cover by Syd Dutton) Reissue (Ace 1990) SF novel. Third printing.
Lunar Descent Allen Steele (Ace 978-0-441-50485-5, Nov 2007, $7.99, 325pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reissue (Ace 1991) SF novel. Third printing.
Orbital Decay Allen Steele (Ace 978-0-441-49851-2, Oct 2007, $7.99, 324pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) Reissue (Ace 1989) SF novel. Fourth printing.
The River Horses Allen Steele (Subterranean Press 978-1-59606-132-3, Dec 2007, $35.00, 119pp, hc, cover by Ron Miller) [Coyote] SF novella in the Coyote series, set between Coyote Rising and Coyote Frontier. This is a signed, limited edition of 500. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
Spindrift Allen Steele (Ace 978-0-441-01471-2, Apr 2007, $24.95, 354pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Coyote] SF novel set elsewhere in the universe of the Coyote series, at a time between events in Coyote Rising and Coyote Frontier. Survivors of an exploratory mission tell conflicting stories of an encounter with extraterrestrials and the ensuing conflict.
Spindrift Allen Steele (SFBC #1234053, May 2007, $12.49, 354pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Coyote] Reprint (Ace 2007) SF novel set in the Coyote universe, in a different part of space. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Wizardology Handbook Dugald A. Steer (Candlewick Press 978-0-7636-3401-8, May 2007, $12.99, 78pp, hc) Young-adult illustrated spellbook, a companion to Wizardology purporting to be a text for student wizards by Master Merlin. Illustrations by John Howe, Anne Yvonne Gilbert, and others. First US edition (Templar Publishing UK 9/06).
A Guide to Wizards of the World Dugald A. Steer & A. J. Wood (Candlewick Press 978-0-7636-3710-1, Aug 2007, $14.99, unpaginated, hc) Young-adult illustrated book about wizards, a companion to Wizardology, purporting to be by Master Merlin. Includes a sealed packet with special playing cards. Illustrations by John Howe, Anne Yvonne Gilbert, and others. First US edition (Templar Publishing UK 2006).
Blood Drive Jeanne C. Stein (Ace 978-0-441-01509-2, Jul 2007, $7.99, 297pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Anna Strong] Dark fantasy novel, sequel to The Becoming, featuring vampire bounty hunter Anna Strong.
The Watcher Jeanne C. Stein (Ace 978-0-441-01546-7, Dec 2007, $7.99, 291pp, pb, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Anna Strong] Dark fantasy novel, the third featuring vampire bounty hunter Anna Strong.
The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights John Steinbeck (Penguin/Viking 978-0-670-01824-6, Oct 2007, $29.95, x+402pp, hc, cover by Rachell Sumpter) Reissue (Farrar, Straus & Giroux 1976) Arthurian fantasy novel. This has a new foreword by Christopher Paolini.
Snow Crash Neal Stephenson (SFBC #1229175, Mar 2007, $12.99, 454pp, hc, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Reissue (Bantam Spectra 1992) SF novel. This is an SFBC 50th Anniversary Collection edition; it has ISBN 978-0-7394-8023-6, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Zodiac Neal Stephenson (Grove Press 978-0-8021-4315-0, Aug 2007, $14.00, 316pp, tp) Reprint (Atlantic Monthly 1988) associational eco-thriller.
Ascendancies: The Best of Bruce Sterling Bruce Sterling (Subterranean Press 978-1-59606-113-2, Aug 2007, $38.00, 547pp, hc, cover by Peter Miller) Retrospective collection of 24 stories, including five in the Shaper/Mechanist universe, and three in the Leggy Starlistz series. Introduction by Karen Joy Fowler. Edited by Jonathan Strahan. A signed limited edition of 125 ($60.00) is also available. Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
- · Introduction · Karen Joy Fowler · in
- · Foreword · fw
- · Part 1: The Shaper/Mechanist Stories:
- · Swarm [Mechanist-Shapers] · nv F&SF Apr 82
- · Spider Rose [Mechanist-Shapers] · ss F&SF Aug 82
- · Cicada Queen [Mechanist-Shapers] · nv Universe 13, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1983
- · Sunken Gardens [Mechanist-Shapers] · ss Omni Jun 84
- · Twenty Evocations [Life in the Mechanist/Shaper Era: 20 Evocations; Mechanist-Shapers] · ss Interzone #7 84
- · Part 2: Early Science Fiction and Fantasy:
- · Green Days in Brunei · na IASFM Oct 85
- · Dinner in Audoghast · ss IASFM May 85
- · The Compassionate, the Digital · ss Interzone #14 85
- · Flowers of Edo · nv IASFM May 87; first published in Japanese in Hayakawas Science Fiction Magazine.
- · The Little Magic Shop · ss IASFM Oct 87
- · Our Neural Chernobyl · ss F&SF Jun 88
- · We See Things Differently · ss Semiotext(e) #14 89
- · Dori Bangs · ss IASFM Sep 89
- · Part 3: The Leggy Starlitz Stories:
- · Hollywood Kremlin [Leggy Starlitz] · nv F&SF Oct 90
- · Are You for 86? [Leggy Starlitz] · nv Globalhead, Shingletown, CA: Ziesing, 1992
- · The Littlest Jackal [Leggy Starlitz] · na F&SF Mar 96
- · Part 4: The Chattanooga Stories:
- · Deep Eddy [Chattanooga] · nv Asimovs Aug 93
- · Bicycle Repairman [Chattanooga] · nv Intersections, ed. John Kessel, Mark L. Van Name & Richard Butner, Tor, 1996
- · Taklamakan [Chattanooga] · nv Asimovs Oct/Nov 98
- · Part 5: Later Science Fiction and Fantasy:
- · The Sword of Damocles · ss IASFM Feb 90
- · Maneki Neko · ss F&SF May 98; originally published in Japanese in Hayakawas Science Fiction Magazine.
- · In Paradise · ss F&SF Sep, 2002
- · The Blemmyes Strategem · nv F&SF Jan, 2005
- · Kiosk · na F&SF Jan, 2007
Schismatrix Plus Bruce Sterling (SFBC #1206516, Nov 2006, $10.99, 395pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) [Mechanist-Shapers] Reprint (Ace 1996) collection of the novel Schismatrix plus five stories originally collected as part of Crystal Express (Arkham House 1989) set in the Shapers-Mechanists universe. This SFBC 50th Anniversary Edition has ISBN 978-0-7394-7657-4; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Selected Short Fictions Robert Louis Stevenson (Barnes & Noble Classics 978-1-59308-350-2, 2007, $7.95, 254+xlv, hc, cover by Francisco de Goya y Lucientes) Reprint (as part of The Complete Shorter Fiction Robinson 1991) collection of the classic horror novel (1886) plus five additional stories. Introduction and notes by Jenny Davidson. Third printing.
Clash of the Sky Galleons Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell (Random House/Fickling 978-0-375-83742-5, Sep 2007, $12.99, 416pp, hc, cover by Chris Riddell) [Edge Chronicles: Quint] Young-adult fantasy novel, ninth in the Edge Chronicles series. First US edition (Doubleday UK 9/06).
The Winter Knights Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell (Random House/Fickling 978-0-375-83741-8, Feb 2007, $12.99, 382pp, hc, cover by Chris Riddell) [Edge Chronicles: Quint] Young-adult fantasy novel, eighth in the Edge Chronicles series. First US edition (Doubleday UK 9/05).
Ice, Iron and Gold S. M. Stirling (Night Shade Books 978-1-59780-115-7, Oct 2007, $26.95, 279pp, hc, cover by Vincent Chong) Collection of 13 stories, one original, of military SF and fantasy. A signed limited edition of 150 (-114-3, $49.00) with one added story, is also available. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Ave., San Francisco CA 94122; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- 1 · Riding Shotgun to Armageddon · nv Armageddon, ed. David Drake & Billie Sue Mosiman, Baen, 1998
- 17 · Three Walls32nd Campaign · nv Foreign Legions, ed. David Drake, Baen, 2001
- 37 · Cops and Robbers · ss Far Frontiers Vol. IV, ed. Jerry Pournelle & Jim Baen, Baen, 1986
- 45 · Roachstompers · nv New Destinies, Vol. VIII, ed. Jim Baen, Baen, 1989
- 67 · Constant Never · nv Dragons Eye, ed. Christopher Stasheff, Baen, 1994
- 81 · Taking Freedom · nv Flights of Fantasy, ed. Mercedes Lackey, DAW, 1999
- 93 · Lost Legion [Bolo] · nv Bolos: Honor of the Regiment, ed. Bill Fawcett, Baen, 1993
- 117 · Ancestral Voices [Bolo] · nv Bolos 2: The Unconquerable, ed. Bill Fawcett, Baen, 1994
- 141 · The Sixth Sun [Bolo] · na Bolos 4: Last Stand, ed. Bill Fawcett, Baen, 1997
- 199 · The Apotheosis of Martin Padway · ss The Enchanter Completed, ed. Harry Turtledove, Baen, 2005
- 223 · Compadres · S. M. Stirling & Richard Foss · ss Alternate Generals II, ed. Harry Turtledove & Martin H. Greenberg, Baen, 2002
- 233 · The Charge of Lees Brigade · ss Alternate Generals, ed. Harry Turtledove, Roland Green & Martin Harry Greenberg, Baen, 1998
- 245 · Something for Yew · nv *
A Meeting at Corvallis S. M. Stirling (Penguin/Roc 978-0-451-46166-7, Sep 2007, $7.99, 622pp, pb, cover by Larry Rostant) [Change War] Reprint (Roc 2006) SF novel, third in the Change War trilogy begun in Dies the Fire.
The Sky People S. M. Stirling (Tor 978-0-7653-5376-4, Oct 2007, $6.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Gregory Manchess) [Sky People] Reprint (Tor 2006) alternate-world SF adventure novel set on Venus.
The Sunrise Lands S. M. Stirling (Penguin/Roc 978-0-451-46170-4, Sep 2007, $24.95, 453pp, hc, cover by Larry Rostant) [Change War] SF novel set in the same world as the Change War trilogy begun in Dies the Fire, picking up with the next generation.
Blood Is the New Black Valerie Stivers (Random House/Three Rivers Press 978-0-307-35213-2, Aug 2007, $13.95, 293pp, tp) Humorous vampire novel. The new girl at Tasty magazine cant figure out how the other staffers manage to party all night and stay so thin.
Dracula Bram Stoker (Barnes & Noble Classics 978-1-59308-160-7, 2007, $7.95, 417+xxix, hc, cover by Edward Holub) [Dracula] Reissue (Constable 1897) classic vampire novel. Introduction and notes by Brooke Allen. Second printing.
Draculas Guest and Other Weird Stories Bram Stoker (Penguin Classics 978-0-141-44171-9, Feb 2007, $15.00, 407+xlvi, tp, cover by Swava Harasymowicz) Omnibus of the title collection (1914) and novel The Lair of the White Worm (1911); the text follows the first editions, with minor corrections. Edited and with an introduction and notes by Kate Hebblethwaite. This is an international edition.
- · Draculas Guest [Dracula] · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- · The Judges House · ss Holly Leaves Dec 5, 1891
- · The Squaw · ss Holly Leaves Dec 2, 1893
- · The Secret of the Growing Gold · ss Black and White Jan 23, 1892
- · A Gipsy Prophecy · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- · The Coming of Abel Behenna · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- · The Burial of the Rats · nv Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- · A Dream of Red Hands · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- · Crooken Sands · ss Holly Leaves Christmas, 1894
- · The Lair of the White Worm · n. London: Heinemann, 1909
The Illmoor Chronicles: The Shadewell Shenanigans David Lee Stone (Hyperion 978-0-7868-3796-0, Nov 2007, $7.99, 308pp, tp, cover by Bob Lea) [Illmore Chronicles] Reprint (Hodder 2005) young-adult humorous dark fantasy novel, third in the Illmore Chronicles trilogy.
The Illmoor Chronicles: The Yowler Foul-Up David Lee Stone (Hyperion 0-7868-5598-3, Sep 2006, $6.99, 289pp, tp, cover by Bob Lea) [Illmore Chronicles] Reprint (Hodder Childrens Books 2004) young-adult humorous dark fantasy novel, second in the Illmore Chronicles trilogy. This is dated 2006, but not seen until now.
The Snowtear Wars, Book 1The Chimes of Yawrana Scot R. Stone (Behler Publications 978-1-933016-42-9, Feb 2007, $18.95, 399pp, tp) Reprint (PublishAmerica 2004) fantasy novel. Behler Publications, 22365 El Toro Road #135, Lake Forest CA 92630; [www.behlerpublications.com].
Ghostwalk Rebecca Stott (Random House/Spiegel & Grau 978-0-385-52106-2, May 2007, $24.95, 305pp, hc) Mystery novel with possible supernatural elements. A woman hired to complete a manuscript about Sir Isaac Newton finds strange links between murders in past and present. A first novel.
The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the Year Volume One ed. Jonathan Strahan (Night Shade Books 978-1-59780-068-6, Mar 2007, $19.95, 479pp, tp, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Years best anthology with 24 stories. Authors include Neil Gaiman, Peter S. Beagle, Connie Willis, and Gene Wolfe. Night Shade Books, 1423 33rd Ave., San Francisco CA 94122; 415-759-8901; [email@example.com]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- · Introduction · Jonathan Strahan · in
- · How to Talk to Girls at Parties · Neil Gaiman · ss Fragile Things, Hodder Headline, 2006
- · El Regalo · Peter S. Beagle · nv The Line Between, Tachyon Publications, 2006
- · I, Row-Boat · Cory Doctorow · ss Flurb (webzine) #1, 2006
- · In the House of the Seven Librarians · Ellen Klages · nv Firebirds Rising, ed. Sharyn November, Firebird, 2006
- · Another Word for Map Is Faith · Christopher Rowe · ss F&SF Aug, 2006
- · Under Hell, Over Heaven · Margo Lanagan · ss
- · Incarnation Day · Walter Jon Williams · na Escape from Earth: New Adventures in Space, ed. Jack Dann & Gardner Dozois, SFBC, 2006
- · The Night Whiskey · Jeffrey Ford · ss Salon Fantastique, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Thunders Mouth Press, 2006
- · A Siege of Cranes · Benjamin Rosenbaum · nv Twenty Epics, ed. David Moles & Susan Marie Groppi, All-Star Stories, 2006
- · Halfway House · Frances Hardinge · ss Alchemy #3, 2006
- · The Bible Repairman · Tim Powers · nv Subterranean Press, 2006
- · Yellow Card Man · Paolo Bacigalupi · nv Asimovs Dec, 2006
- · Pol Pots Beautiful Daughter (Fantasy) · Geoff Ryman · nv F&SF Oct/Nov, 2006
- · The American Dead · Jay Lake · ss Interzone Apr, 2006; illus. Rik Rawling
- · The Cartesian Theater · Robert Charles Wilson · nv FutureShocks, ed. Lou Anders, Roc, 2006
- · Journey into the Kingdom · M. Rickert · nv F&SF May, 2006
- · Eight Episodes · Robert Reed · ss Asimovs Jun, 2006
- · The Wizards of Perfil · Kelly Link · na Firebirds Rising, ed. Sharyn November, Firebird, 2006
- · The Saffron Gatherers · Elizabeth Hand · ss Saffron and Brimstone: Strange Stories, M Press, 2006
- · D.A. · Connie Willis · nv Space Cadets, ed. Mike Resnick, SCIFI, 2006
- · Femaville 29 · Paul Di Filippo · ss Salon Fantastique, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Thunders Mouth Press, 2006
- · Sob in the Silence · Gene Wolfe · ss Strange Birds, Dreamhaven Books, 2006
- · The House Beyond Your Sky · Benjamin Rosenbaum · ss Strange Horizons (online) Sep 4, 2006; illus. Vladimir Vitkovsky
- · The Djinns Wife [India] · Ian Mcdonald · nv Asimovs Jul, 2006