Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Storeys from the Old Hotel Gene Wolfe (Tor 0-312-85208-8, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $21.95, 331pp, hc, cover by D. Rottermund) Collection of 34 short pieces, three original, with an introduction by the author. First American edition (Kerosina 1988).
The Little Book of Horrors: Tiny Tales of Terror ed. Sebastian Wolfe (Barricade Books 0-942637-42-9, Aug 92, $9.95, 126pp, tp) Anthology of 70 short-short horror stories, poems and cartoons. First American edition (Xanadu 1992).
Reel Terror: The Stories That Inspired the Great Horror Movies ed. Sebastian Wolfe (Carroll & Graf 0-88184-821-2, Jun 92, $9.95, 249pp, tp) Anthology of 12 stories that inspired well-known (though not necessarily classic) horror and suspense films. With an introduction by the editor. First American edition (Xanadu 1992).
Elvissey Jack Womack (Tor 0-312-85202-9, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $12.95, 319pp, tp, cover by John Berkey) Sf novel of time-travelers who kidnap Elvis in order to deify him. Recommended (SW).
Wolfking Bridget Wood (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37626-9, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $10.00, 614pp, tp, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Wolfking] Fantasy novel set in post-holocaust Ireland where a gateway is opened to the glory of Irelands distant past. First American edition (Headline 1991).
The Disappearing Bike Shop Elvira Woodruff (Holiday House 0-8234-0933-3, Apr 92 [May 92], $13.95, 169pp, hc, cover by Greg Michaels) Young-adult fantasy about two boys and a wizard who runs a bike shop able to disappear off its foundation. Available from Holiday House, 425 Madison Ave., New York NY 10017.
The New City Lebbeus Woods (Simon & Schuster 0-671-76812-3, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $25.00, 84pp, tp) Art/architecture book, with Woods visions of future cities and text by the author. A limited hardcover edition is forthcoming from Byron Preiss Visuals. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Deaths Door John Wooley & Ron Wolfe (Dell Abyss 0-440-21196-4, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.99, 386pp, pb) Horror novel. Cop Case Hamilton comes back to life after being clinically dead for ten minutes, and realizes that hes brought something back with him.
Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn Persia Woolley (Pocket 0-671-70832-5, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $5.99, 423pp, pb, cover by Gregg Gulbronson) [Guinevere] Reprint (Poseidon 1991) associational Arthurian historical novel with a few mystical elements, third in a series.
The Monster of the Lagoon George F. Worts (Starmont House 1-55724-242-7, 1991 [Jul 92], $10.95, 145pp, tp) [Singapore Sammy] Collection of two fantasy adventure pulp pieces featuring Singapore Sammy: the novelette Buddhas Whisker and short novel The Monster of the Lagoon. A hardcover edition (-243-5; $20.95) was announced but not seen. Available from Starmont House, Inc., PO Box 851, Mercer Island WA 98040.
- · Buddhas Whisker · nv Argosy May 26 34
- · The Monster of the Lagoon · na Argosy Feb 23 35 (+5)
Dealing with Dragons Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic 0-590-45722-5, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $3.25, 212pp, pb, cover by Tim Hildebrandt) [Enchanted Forest] Reprint (HBJ 1990) young-adult fantasy novel, first book of a series.
Mairelon the Magician Patricia C. Wrede (Tor 0-812-50896-3, Jul 92 [Jun 92], $3.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Dennis Nolan) [Mairelon] Reprint (Tor 1991) historical fantasy novel about a traveling magician and a street urchin in mediaeval London.
Searching for Dragons Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic 0-590-45721-7, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $3.25, 242pp, pb) [Enchanted Forest] Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1991) young-adult fantasy novel, a sequel to Dealing with Dragons.
Thirst of the Vampire T. Lucien Wright (Zebra/Pinnacle 1-55817-649-7, Oct 92 [Sep 92], $4.50, 351pp, pb) Vampire horror novel. Journalist Mike Marat discovers that there is a vampire stalking his family, seeking revenge for a centuries-old wrong.
Little Boy Lost T. M. Wright (Tor 0-312-93172-7, Jun 92 [May 92], $18.95, 247pp, hc, cover by John Zielinski) Horror novel about a lost boy and a mysteriously seductive forest.
Goodlows Ghosts T. M. Wright (Tor 0-312-85466-8, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $17.95, 222pp, hc, cover by Tim Jacobus) [Goodlows Ghosts] Horror novel of a dead man who enlists the aid of a psychic in finding his murderer.
Shaunessy Fong William F. Wu (Pulphouse 1-56146-560-7, Jun 92 [Jul 92], $1.95, 44pp, pb, cover by George Barr) Fantasy short story that originally appeared in Pulphouse: The Hardback Magazine, Issue 11. Short Story Paperback #60. A 100-copy signed limited hardcover edition (-940-8, $20.00) is also available. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
Wongs Lost and Found Emporium and Other Oddities William F. Wu (Pulphouse, May 92, $25.00, 147pp, hc, cover by George Barr) Collection of nine stories, with an introduction by the author. This hardcover is limited to 300 signed copies. A 50-copy leatherbound edition was announced but not seen. The magazine edition is listed under magazines; Authors Choice Monthly #28. Order from Pulphouse Publications, PO Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
The Master of White Storm Janny Wurts (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45167-8, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $4.99, 413pp, pb, cover by Janny Wurts) Fantasy novel of a galley slave determined to win himself a castle.
Cats Claw Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Jove 0-515-10805-7, Mar 92 [Feb 92], $3.99, 261pp, pb) [Charlie Spotted Moon] Associational mystery, the fourth featuring San Francisco attorney and Ojibwa Indian Charlie Spotted Moon, who takes on the case of a fellow lawyer arrested for a series of murders. Charlie can win the case but has to use shamanistic magic to learn whether or not his client is guilty. The author is identified as C.Q. Yarbro on the book.
Dragon War Laurence Yep (HarperCollins 0-06-020302-1, May 92 [Jun 92], $15.00, 256pp, hc, cover by David Wiesner) [Dragon] Young-adult fantasy novel, fourth book of the Dragon series.
The Rainbow People Laurence Yep (Harper Trophy 0-06-440441-2, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $3.95, 194pp, tp, cover by Kam Mak) Reprint (Harper & Row 1989) childrens collection of 20 stories rewritten from Chinese-American folktales collected in Oaklands Chinatown as a WPA project.
Briar Rose Jane Yolen (Tor 0-312-85135-9, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $17.95, 190pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Fairy tale fantasy novel, a retelling of Sleeping Beauty set in German forests during World War II. Highly recommended (SW).
Storyteller Jane Yolen (NESFA Press 0-915368-49-8, Mar 92, $15.95, 231pp, hc, cover by Jody Lee) Collection of 14 stories, eight poems, and four non-fiction pieces, with an introduction by Patricia A. McKillip and interior illustrations by Merle Insinga. This is published for Yolens Guest of Honor appearance at Boskone and is limited to 1000 numbered copies, the first 200 (-97-8 $32.00) signed and slipcased. Available from NESFA Press, PO Box G, MIT Branch Post Office, Cambridge MA 02139.
- xi · Jane Yolen: An Introduction to the Platonic Table and Other Household Items · Patricia A. McKillip · in
- 3 · The Profession of Science Fiction, 37: The Author as Hero · ar Foundation, 1988
- 11 · The Storyteller · pm National Storyteller Journal Win 84
- 15 · The Pot Child · ss F&SF Feb 79
- 22 · The Inn of the Demon Camel [Liavek] · ss Liavek, ed. Will Shetterly & Emma Bull, Ace, 1985
- 31 · Sun/Flight · ss F&SF May 82
- 39 · Beauty and the Beast: An Anniversary · pm The Faery Flag, Orchard, 1989
- 41 · Meditation in a Whitethorn Tree · nv Invitation to Camelot, ed. Parke Godwin, Ace, 1988
- 65 · A Call to the Ramparts · sp, 1991
- 75 · Deirdre · pm
- 79 · Feast of Souls · ss IASFM Jan 89
- 87 · The Five Points of Roguery · ss F&SF Nov 84
- 99 · Family Stories · pm, 1988
- 103 · An Infestation of Angels · ss IASFM Nov 85
- 115 · Great Gray · ss Fires of the Past, ed. Anne Devereaux Jordan, St. Martins, 1991
- 125 · Oh, God, Here Come the Elves · sp
- 143 · Frog Prince · pm F&SF Oct 87
- 145 · Memoirs of a Bottle Djinn · ss Arabesques, ed. Susan Shwartz, Avon, 1988
- 155 · The Quiet Monk · ss IASFM Mar 88
- 173 · Toads · pm IASFM Jun 89
- 177 · The Sleep of Trees · ss F&SF Sep 80
- 193 · Prince Charming Comes · pm
- 195 · The Uncorking of Uncle Finn · ss F&SF Nov 86
- 205 · Smallpox · pm
- 207 · Names · ss Tales of Wonder, Schocken, 1983
- 215 · The Moon Ribbon · ss The Moon Ribbon and Other Tales, Curtis Brown, Ltd., 1976
- 227 · The Story Between · ar
Xanadu ed. Jane Yolen & Martin H. Greenberg (Tor 0-312-85367-X, Jan 93 [Dec 92], $18.95, 256pp, hc, cover by Tony Roberts) Original anthology of 22 fantasy stories.
Cobras Two Timothy Zahn (Baen 0-671-72114-3, Apr 92 [Mar 92], $5.99, 538pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Cobras] Sf omnibus of Cobra (Baen 1985) and Cobra Strike (Baen 1988).
- 1 · Cobra · n. New York: Baen, 1985
- 263 · Cobra Strike · n. New York: Baen, 1988
Distant Friends and Others Timothy Zahn (Baen 0-671-72131-3, Aug 92 [Jul 92], $4.99, 314pp, pb, cover by David B. Mattingly) Collection of nine stories, including the three linked stories that make up Distant Friends.
- 3 · Distant Friends [Dale Ravenhall] · n. *
- 3 · Red Thoughts at Morning [Dale Ravenhall] · nv Analog Apr 27 81
- 29 · Dark Thoughts at Noon [Dale Ravenhall] · nv Analog Dec 82
- 67 · Black Thoughts at Midnight [Dale Ravenhall] · na *
- 133 · The Peaceful Man · ss F&SF Sep 82
- 157 · The Evidence of Things Not Seen [Pall Durriken] · na Analog Jun 86
- 217 · Guardian Angel · nv Far Frontiers Vol. VII, ed. Jerry Pournelle & Jim Baen, Baen, 1986
- 239 · Expanded Charter · vi Analog mid-Sep 83
- 245 · Final Solution · nv Analog Mar 1 82
- 283 · Pawns Gambit · nv Analog Mar 29 82
Spinneret Timothy Zahn (Baen 0-671-65598-1, Apr 92, $4.99, 339pp, pb, cover by Vincent DiFate) Reissue (Bluejay 1985) sf novel; second printing.
Star Wars: Dark Force Rising Timothy Zahn (Bantam Spectra 0-553-08574-3, Jun 92 [May 92], $18.50, 376pp, hc, cover by Tom Jung) [Star Wars] Sf novelization based on the characters from the Star Wars films. Second book of a trilogy. A signed limited edition ($125.00) was announced but not seen.
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29612-4, Jun 92 [May 92], $4.99, 404pp, pb, cover by Tom Jung) [Star Wars] Reprint (Bantam 1991) sf novelization based on the characters from the Star Wars films.
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn (SFBC #18382, Jul 92 [Aug 92], $6.98, 376pp, hc, cover by Tom Jung) [Star Wars] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1991) sf novelization based on the characters from the Star Wars films. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except it lacks an ISBN and price and the SFBC number is on the back jacket.
Authors Choice Monthly Issue 27: Gone To Earth Roger Zelazny (Pulphouse, Jan 92 [Mar 92], $4.95, 100pp, tp, cover by George Barr) Signed collection of four stories with an introduction by the author. A hardcover 300-copy edition ($20.00) is also available. There is also a 50-copy deluxe leather edition ($50.00) not seen. Order from Pulphouse Publishing, Box 1227, Eugene OR 97440.
- 1 · Introduction: Themes, Variations, and Imitations · in
- 5 · Deadboy Donner and the Filstone Cup · ss Terrys Universe, ed. Beth Meacham, Tor, 1988
- 25 · Kalifriki of the Thread · nv Hidden Turnings, ed. Diana Wynne Jones, London: Methuen, 1989
- 57 · Devil Car [Sam Nurdock] · ss Galaxy Jun 65
- 77 · The Last of the Wild Ones [Sam Nurdock] · nv Omni Mar 81
Prince of Chaos Roger Zelazny (AvoNova 0-380-75502-5, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $4.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Tim White) [Amber] Reprint (Morrow 1991), fantasy novel, tenth book of the Amber series.
Here There Be Dragons Roger Zelazny & Vaughn Bodé (Donald M. Grant 1-880418-01-0, Sep 92, $40.00, 42pp, hc, cover by Vaughn Bodé) Original fantasy short story, with illustrations by Vaughn Bodé. The project dates from the 60s when Zelazny commissioned Bodé to do illustrations for two short stories. It was originally announced by Mirage, but has been mired in problems for 20 years. This is a limited edition of 1,000 copies signed by the author. Available slipcased with Way Up High for $80.00. Order from Donald M. Grant, PO Box 187, Hampton Falls NH 03844.
Way Up High Roger Zelazny & Vaughn Bodé (Donald M. Grant 1-880418-00-2, Sep 92, $40.00, 45pp, hc, cover by Vaughn Bodé) Original short story, with full-color illustrations by Vaughn Bodé. This is a 1,000-copy limited edition signed by the author. Available slipcased with Here There Be Dragons for $80.00. Order from Donald M. Grant, PO Box 187, Hampton Falls NH 03844.
Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming Roger Zelazny & Robert Sheckley (Bantam Spectra 0-553-29935-2, Dec 92 [Nov 92], $5.50, 310pp, pb, cover by Don Maitz) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1991) humorous fantasy novel of a demon determined to win the Millennial Evil Deeds Award by recreating the story of Sleeping Beauty with a nasty twist.
Flare Roger Zelazny & Thomas T. Thomas (Baen 0-671-72133-X, Sep 92 [Aug 92], $4.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Dean Morrissey) Sf disaster novel of Earth in danger from a solar flare.
Fairy Tales and the Art of Subversion: The Classical Genre for Children and the Process of Civilization Jack Zipes (Methuen 0-416-01981-1, 1988 [Mar 92], $12.95, 214pp, tp) Literary criticism and discussion of how folk tales were used by educated writers to pass on their mores, values, and manners. Published in 1988 but not seen until now. First US edition (Heinemann Educational Books 1983).
The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm ed. Jack Zipes (Bantam 0-553-37101-0, Nov 92 [Oct 92], $15.00, 750pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam 1987) collection of 250 fairy tales, 40 never previously published in English, translated and with a biographical introduction by Zipes. This trade paperback edition adds eight tales recently discovered which were not in the hardcover or two-volume paperback editions. [Jakob Grimm; Wilhelm Grimm]
Fairy Tales and Fables from Weimer Days ed. Jack Zipes (University Press of New England 0-87451-501-7, 1989 [Mar 92], $30.00, 211pp, hc, cover by George Grosz) Anthology of 27 fairy tales translated from the German by the editor, who also provides a lengthy critical and historical introduction. This is a 1989 book not seen until 1992.
Spells of Enchantment: The Wondrous Fairy Tales of Western Culture ed. Jack Zipes (Penguin 0-14-012783-6, Dec 92, $16.00, 814pp, tp, cover by Edmund Dulac) Reprint (Viking 1991) large compendium of fairy tales, classic fantasy, and some more recent stories.
Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves ed. Jack Zipes (Routledge 0-415-90140-5, 1991 [Mar 92], 381pp, tp) Reprint (Methuen 1987) anthology of 27 Victorian fairy tales with a lengthy introduction and biographical information about each individual author, by the editor. Authors include Lewis Carroll, Charles Dickens, Rudyard Kipling, Edith Nesbit, Catherine Sinclair, and Oscar Wilde.
Great Vampires & Other Horrors [by Edel Brosnan] ed. Anon. (London: Chancellor Press 1-85152-235-2, 1992, £4.99, 541pp, hc) An instant-remainder volume of vampire stories, most selected from Mary Danbys 65 Great Tales of the Supernatural (Octopus, 1979).
- 9 · For the Blood Is the Life · F. Marion Crawford · ss Colliers Dec 16 05
- 22 · The Vampyre · John Polidori · nv The New Monthly Magazine Apr, 1819
- 38 · Mrs. Amworth · E. F. Benson · ss Hutchinsons Magazine Jun 22
- 50 · Draculas Guest [Dracula] · Bram Stoker · ss Draculas Guest, London: Routledge, 1914
- 60 · Good Lady Ducayne · Mary Elizabeth Braddon · nv The Strand Feb, 1896
- 81 · The Mindworm · C. M. Kornbluth · ss Worlds Beyond Dec 50
- 92 · Luella Miller · Mary E. Wilkins Freeman · ss Everybodys Magazine Dec 02
- 103 · The Drifting Snow · August Derleth · ss Weird Tales Feb 39
- 112 · The Living Dead · Robert Bloch · ss EQMM Apr 67
- 117 · Ringing the Changes · Robert Aickman · nv The Third Ghost Book, ed. Cynthia Asquith, James Barrie, 1955
- 142 · My Adventure in Norfolk · A. J. Alan · ss The London Magazine Oct 27; broadcast by the BBC Dec 24, 1926
- 148 · The Leaden Ring · S. Baring-Gould · ss A Book of Ghosts, London: Methuen, 1904
- 159 · The Middle Toe of the Right Foot · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Examiner Aug 17, 1890
- 166 · Keeping His Promise · Algernon Blackwood · ss The Empty House, Eveleigh Nash, 1906
- 178 · Couching at the Door · D. K. Broster · nv The Cornhill Magazine Dec 33
- 197 · Dont You Dare · John Burke · ss Splinters, ed. Alex Hamilton, Walker, 1968
- 211 · Browdean Farm · A. M. Burrage · ss Some Ghost Stories, London: Cecil Palmer, 1927
- 222 · The Ghoul · Sir Hugh Clifford · ss The Further Side of Silence, 1916
- 233 · The Horror Under Penmire · Adrian Cole · ss Frighteners, ed. Mary Danby, London: Fontana Books, 1974
- 251 · The Upper Berth · F. Marion Crawford · nv The Broken Shaft: Unwins Annual for 1886, ed. Sir Henry Norman, London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1885
- 267 · The Signal-Man · Charles Dickens · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1866
- 278 · The House of Balfother · William Croft Dickinson · ss Dark Encounters, London: Harvill Press, 1963
- 288 · The Brown Hand [The Story of the Brown Hand] · Sir Arthur Conan Doyle · ss The Strand May, 1899
- 301 · The Phantom Coach · Amelia B. Edwards · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1864
- 312 · Dont Tell Cissie · Celia Fremlin · ss By Horror Haunted, London: Gollancz, 1974
- 324 · The Horsehair Trunk · Davis Grubb · ss Colliers May 25 46
- 332 · A Vindictive Woman · R. Chetwynd-Hayes · ss 65 Great Tales of the Supernatural, ed. Mary Danby, London: Octopus Books, 1979
- 341 · The Furnished Room · O. Henry · ss The Four Million, Doubleday, 1906
- 347 · The Whistling Room [Carnacki] · William Hope Hodgson · ss The Idler Mar 10
- 361 · Magic Man · Robert P. Holdstock · ss Frighteners 2, ed. Mary Danby, London: Fontana Books, 1976
- 371 · The Spectre Bridegroom · Washington Irving · ss The Sketch Book, 1819
- 383 · Lost Hearts · M. R. James · ss The Pall Mall Magazine Dec, 1895
- 392 · Carnival on the Downs · Gerald Kersh · ss Men Without Bones, London: Heinemann, 1955
- 404 · The Mark of the Beast · Rudyard Kipling · ss The Pioneer Jul 12&14, 1890
- 415 · An Account of Some Strange Disturbances in Aungier Street · J. Sheridan Le Fanu · ss Dublin University Magazine Dec, 1853
- 432 · The Moon-Bog · H. P. Lovecraft · ss Weird Tales Jun 26
- 439 · A Fair Lady · Roger Malisson · ss 65 Great Tales of the Supernatural, ed. Mary Danby, London: Octopus Books, 1979
- 452 · Who Knows? · Guy de Maupassant · ss Apr 6, 1890
- 463 · John Charringtons Wedding · E. Nesbit · ss Temple Bar Sep, 1891
- 470 · The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar · Edgar Allan Poe · ss American Whig Review Dec, 1845
- 478 · A Story of Don Juan · V. S. Pritchett · ss The Second Ghost Book, ed. Cynthia Asquith, James Barrie, 1952
- 482 · The Open Window · Saki · ss The Westminster Gazette Nov 18 11
- 485 · A Woman Seldom Found · William Sansom · ss A Contest of Ladies and Other Stories, London: Hogarth Press, 1956
- 488 · The Body Snatcher · Robert Louis Stevenson · ss Pall Mall Christmas Extra, 1884
- 503 · A Ghost Story · Mark Twain · ss Werners Readings and Recitations, 1888
- 508 · Mrs. Lunt · Sir Hugh Walpole · ss The Ghost-Book, ed. Cynthia Asquith, London: Hutchinson, 1926
- 520 · All Souls · Edith Wharton · nv Ghosts, Appleton-Century, 1937