Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne (Naval Institute Press 0-87021-678-3, Sep 93 [Nov 93], $14.95, 392pp, tp) [Nemo] Reprint (G.M. Smith 1873) sf novel, a new full translation of the classic, with an introduction and annotations by Walter James Miller and Frederick Paul Walter, who translated this from the French (P.J. Hetzel 1871 as Vingt Mille Lieues Sous les Mers). A hardcover edition (1-55750-877-1, $24.95) was announced but not seen. Available from Membership & Communications Department, U.S. Naval Institute, 118 Maryland Ave., Annapolis MD 21402-5035. 800-233-USNI.
Adventures of the Rat Family Jules Verne (Oxford University Press 0-19-508114-5, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $14.95, 70pp, hc, cover by Felician Myrbach-Rheinfeld) Fairy tale novella by Verne. Translated from the French by Evelyn Copeland, with an introduction by Iona Opie and a long afterword by Brian Taves. This is the first English translation.
From the Earth to the Moon Jules Verne (Bantam 0-553-21420-9, Jun 93 [May 93], $3.50, 185pp, pb, cover by Richard Oelze) Reprint (J. Hetzel 1865) classic sf novel, with an introduction by Gregory Benford. This is the 1967 translation by Lowell Balir.
The Works of Jules Verne Jules Verne (Longmeadow 0-681-45245-5, 1993 [Oct 93], $18.95, 934pp, hc) Omnibus of three novels, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, A Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Around the World in Eighty Days. This is a leatherbound gilt-edge edition.
- · Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea [Nemo] · ex Magasin dEducation et de Recreation Mar 20, 1869; Paris: J. Hetzel, 1869
- · A Journey to the Center of the Earth · n., 1872; Voyage au centre de la terre (Hetzel, 1864).
- · Around the World in Eighty Days · n. Le Temps Nov 6, 1872; Paris: J. Hetzel, 1872
Live from Golgotha Gore Vidal (Penguin 0-14-023119-6, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $11.00, 225pp, tp, cover by Michael Ian Kaye) Reprint (Random House 1992) surrealistic satire with sf elements.
Worlds End Joan D. Vinge (Tor 0-812-52368-7, Apr 93 [Mar 93], $4.99, 284pp, pb) [Snow Queen] Reissue (Bluejay 1984) sf novel, sequel to The Snow Queen; second printing.
A Fire Upon the Deep Vernor Vinge (Tor 0-812-51528-5, Feb 93 [Jan 93], $5.99, 613pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Fire Upon the Deep] Reprint (Tor 1992) far-future sf novel set in a universe where physical laws are not constant.
The Wings of a Falcon Cynthia Voigt (Scholastic 0-590-46712-3, Oct 93 [Nov 93], $14.95, 467pp, hc, cover by Joe DiCesare) [Kingdom] Fantasy novel of two young boys who flee slavery to seek a new life on the wild mainland.
The Ice-Shirt William T. Vollmann (Penguin 0-14-013196-5, Jul 93, $12.50, 411pp, tp, cover by Gerard Mercator) [Seven Dreams] Reprint (Andre Deutsch 1990) literary novel with fantasy elements about the Norse discovery of America. First book of the Seven Dreams series.
Illusion Paula Volsky (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56242-8, Feb 93 [Jan 93], $5.99, 674pp, pb, cover by Michael Whelan) Reprint (Gollancz 1991) fantasy novel, an alternate-world retelling of the events of the French Revolution.
The Wolf of Winter Paula Volsky (Bantam Spectra 0-553-37210-6, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $12.95, 357pp, tp, cover by George Bush) Quasi-historical fantasy novel set in a Russian-like kingdom, where a beautiful girl matches wits with her necromancer uncle and the ruler of the dead.
The Feminine in Fairy Tales Marie-Louise von Franz (Shambala 0-87773-567-0, Jun 93 [May 93], $15.00, 224pp, hc) Non-fiction, criticism. A study of feminine images in fairy tales from a Jungian perspective. Based on a series of lectures given by the author at the Jung Institute in 1958-59, this is a revised edition of a book originally published as Problems of the Feminine in Fairy Tales (Spring 1972).
The Sounding Stillness Kenneth Von Gunden (Ace 0-441-77598-5, Nov 93 [Oct 93], $4.99, 250pp, pb, cover by David Dorman) Sf novel of an off-planet secret agent and his cyborg partner investigating the conflict between whalelike natives and genetically engineered human and dolphin colonists.
The Maerlande Chronicles Elisabeth Vonarburg (Beach Holme/Tesseract 0-88878-294-2, Mar 93, C$8.95, 582pp, tp, cover by Charles Vinh) [Silent City] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992 as In the Mothers Land) sf novel of a future world where men are punished for destroying civilizations, a loose sequel to The Silent City. Translated from the French by Jane Brierley. The US edition also predates the French version. This edition was scheduled to appear before the Bantam Spectra edition, but has just appeared, despite the 1992 copyright date. Avilable from Beach Holme Publishers, 4252 Commerce Circle, Victoria BC V8Z 4M2 Canada.
The Fabulist John Vornholt (AvoNova 0-380-77320-1, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $4.50, 244pp, pb, cover by Daniel R. Horne) Historical fantasy novel a supposed autobiography of Aesop that includes magical events.
The Years Best Horror Stories: XXI ed. Karl Edward Wagner (DAW 0-88677-572-8, Oct 93 [Sep 93], $5.50, 352pp, pb, cover by Les Edwards) Best-of-the-year anthology of 26 horror stories, with an introduction by the editor on the state of the horror field.
- 15 · Coming of Age · Karl Edward Wagner · in
- 18 · The Limits of Fantasy · Ramsey Campbell · ss Gauntlet #3 92
- 36 · China Rose · Ron Weighell · ss Vampire Stories, ed. Richard Dalby, Michael OMara, 1992
- 58 · The Outsider · Rick Kennett · ss Ghosts & Scholars #14 92
- 86 · Briar Rose · Kim Antieau · ss MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
- 99 · Mom School · Rand Soellner · ss Gathering Darkness Nov 92
- 106 · The Hyacinth Girl · Mary Ann Mitchell · ss Just a Moment Sum 92
- 115 · Mind Games · Adam Meyer · ss Doppelgänger Feb 92
- 121 · Mamas Boy · C. S. Fuqua · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 92
- 127 · The Shabbie People · Jeffrey Osier · ss Souls in Pawn, ed. George Hatch, Horrors Head Press, 1992
- 149 · The Ugly File · Ed Gorman · ss The Prisoners and Other Stories, CD Publications, 1992
- 158 · Eyes Like a Ghosts · Simon Clark · ss Darklands 2, ed. Nicholas Royle, Edgerton Press, 1992
- 172 · Fallen Idol · Lillian Csernica · ss After Hours Win 92
- 187 · And Some Are Missing · Joel Lane · ss The Sun Rises Red, ed. Chris Kenworthy, Barrington, 1992
- 196 · Welsh Pepper · D. F. Lewis · ss Vandeloechts Fiction Magazine Spr 92
- 202 · Tracks · Nicholas Royle · ss Interzone Jan 92
- 214 · Largesse · Mark McLaughlin · ss The Bone Marrow Review #3 92
- 225 · City in the Torrid Waste · t. Winter-Damon · ss Bizarre Sex & Other Crimes of Passion #1, ed. Stan Tal, Tal Publications 92
- 235 · Haunting Me Softly · H. Andrew Lynch · ss Grue #14 92
- 241 · Spring Ahead, Fall Back · Michael A. Arnzen · ss Palace Corbie v1 #2 92
- 254 · Apotheosis · Carrie Richerson · ss Souls in Pawn, ed. George Hatch, Horrors Head Press, 1992
- 262 · Defining the Commonplace Sliver · Wayne Allen Sallee · ss Expressions of Dread #2 92
- 267 · Feeding the Masses · Yvonne Navarro · ss Eldritch Tales #27 92
- 274 · Sanctuary · Jeffrey Osier · ss The Silver Web Spr/Sum 92
- 295 · The Devils Advocate · Andrew C. Ferguson · ss Dementia 13 #7 92
- 309 · Week Woman · Kim Newman · ss Dark Voices 4, ed. David Sutton & Stephen Jones, London: Pan, 1992
- 323 · A Fathers Gift · W. M. Shockley · nv IASFM Apr 92
Night of the Cooters Howard Waldrop (Ace 0-441-57473-4, Jul 93 [Jun 93], $4.99, 253pp, pb, cover by Don Ivan Punchatz) Reprint (Ursus/Ziesing 1990 as Night of the Cooters: More Neat Stories) collection of ten stories, with an introduction by Chad Oliver. The British edition (Legend 1991 as Night of the Cooters: More Neat Stuff) added the novella A Dozen Tough Jobs.
Amazon Barbara G. Walker (HarperSanFrancisco 0-06-250944-6, Jun 93 [May 93], $9.00, 178pp, tp, cover by Greg Spalenka) Reprint (HarperSanFrancisco 1992) feminist fantasy novel of a young Amazon warrior suddenly transported from pre-Christian Europe to contemporary America.
The Broom of the System David Foster Wallace (Avon 0-380-71991-6, May 93 [Apr 93], $12.00, 467pp, tp, cover by James Stiles) Reprint (Viking 1987) literary fantasy novel.
Hieroglyphic Tales Horace Walpole (Mercury House 1-56279-049-8, Oct 93, $12.95, 89pp, tp, cover by Jill McElmurry) Collection of seven fantasy stories. Six were originally published in a seven-copy private edition in 1785, with the preface and postscript by Walpole included here. A Birds Nest originally appeared in Horace Walpole: Writer, Politician, Connoisseur (Yale University Press 1967). With new illustrations by Jill McElmurry and an editors note by Thomas Christensen.
- vii · Editors Note: A Horace Reading · Thomas Christensen · in
- 3 · Preface · pr
- 13 · A New Arabian Nights Entertainment · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 25 · The King and His Three Daughters · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 35 · The Dice-Box: A Fairy Tale · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 45 · The Peach in Brandy: A Milesian Tale · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 55 · Mi Li: A Chinese Fairy Tale · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 71 · A True Love Story · ss Hieroglyphic Tales, self published, 1785
- 81 · The Birds Nest · ss Horace Walpole: Writer, Politician, Connoisseur, ed. Warren Hunting Smith, Yale University Press, 1967
- 89 · Postscript · aw
Island of the Mighty Evangeline Walton (Macmillan Collier Nucleus 0-02-026472-0, Aug 93 [Jul 93], $10.00, 368pp, tp, cover by Alan Lee) [Mabinogion] Reprint (Willet Clark 1936 as The Virgin and the Swine) fantasy novel, the Fourth Branch of the Mabinogion. Includes some comments on Walton reprinted from On Evangeline Walton and Magic by Patrick Merla from The Saturday Review.
Forgotten Realms: Pool of Twilight James M. Ward & Anne K. Brown (TSR 1-56076-582-8, Nov 93 [Oct 93], $4.95, 312pp, tp, cover by Fred Fields) [Forgotten Realms: Pools] Fantasy novelization based on the Forgotten Realms game, third book in the Pools series.
A Wealth of Fable Harry Warner, Jr. (SCIFI Press 0-9633099-0-0, Aug 92 [Jan 93], $25.00, 456pp, hc, cover by Steve Stiles) Non-fiction, history of science fiction fandom in the 1950s; edited and expanded from a three-volume mimeographed 1977 edition by editor Dick Lynch, with an introduction by Wilson Tucker, and over 200 photographs added.
Kaleidoscope Eyes Graham Watkins (Carroll & Graf 0-88184-929-4, May 93 [Apr 93], $21.00, 382pp, hc, cover by Matt Tepper) Horror novel of eroticism and murder connected by a mysterious kaleidoscope.
The Spell of the Black Dagger Lawrence Watt-Evans (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37712-5, Jul 93 [Jun 93], $4.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Neal McPheeters) [Ethshar] Fantasy novel, sixth book of the Ethshar series.
Taking Flight Lawrence Watt-Evans (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-37715-X, Mar 93 [Feb 93], $4.99, 271pp, pb, cover by Tim Hildebrandt) [Ethshar] Fantasy novel, fifth book of the Misenchanted Sword series.
Split Heirs Lawrence Watt-Evans & Esther M. Friesner (Tor 0-312-85320-3, Jul 93 [Jun 93], $19.95, 319pp, hc, cover by Walter Velez) Humorous fantasy novel of royal triplets who bring bedlam to the kingdom.
Split Heirs Lawrence Watt-Evans & Esther M. Friesner (SFBC #01896, Nov 93 [Oct 93], $9.98, 319pp, hc, cover by Walter Velez) Reprint (Tor 1993) humorous fantasy novel of royal triplets who bring bedlam to the kingdom. Similar to the Tor edition except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Bestseller & Other Tales Don Webb (Chris Drumm Books 0-936055-61-8, 1990 [Oct 93], $3.00, 44pp, ph, cover by Don Webb) Collection of seven stories, three apparently original. A signed edition (-60-X, $5.00) was announced but not seen. This has a 1990 copyright, but was not seen until now. Available from Chris Drumm, PO Box 445, Polk City IA 50226. Drumm Booklet #46.
- 5 · Suppose · pp Alpha Adventures #16 87
- 8 · Second Honeymoon · ss New Pathways Jul 88
- 12 · Brother B_____ His Story · ss Alpha Adventures #15 87
- 16 · My Hometown · ss *
- 20 · The Bestseller · ss *
- 24 · Instruments of Precision · ss *
- 34 · Voodoo Economics · ss Tilted Planet Tales #2 85
The Seventh Day and After Don Webb (Wordcraft of Oregon 1-877655-05-8, Oct 93, $7.95, 78pp, tp, cover by Roman Scott) Collection of seven literary fantasy stories, a short play, and a poem, with illustrations by Roman Scott. Available from Wordcraft of Oregon, PO Box 3235, La Grande OR 97850.
- 5 · An American Hero · vi *
- 9 · The Old Man of Clearlake Shores · ss *
- 17 · Beach Scene · pl Back Brain Recluse #16 90
- 29 · The Seventh Day · ss *
- 39 · Protocols of Captain Whizzo · ss *
- 45 · Baggage · vi *
- 49 · Paradise Lost · ss *
- 71 · Gladsome Yule · ss *
- 77 · In Praise of Satan · pm
Phobias ed. Wendy Webb, Richard Gilliam, Edward Kramer & Martin H. Greenberg (Pocket 0-671-79237-7, Jan 94 [Dec 93], $5.50, 360pp, pb, cover by Kirk Reinert) Original anthology of 24 horror stories about phobias, with an introduction by Robert Bloch.
The Armageddon Inheritance David Weber (Baen 0-671-72197-6, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $4.99, 344pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Mutineers Moon] Sf adventure novel of an astronaut captured by a sentient starship and drafted as its captain. Sequel to Mutineers Moon.
Honor Harrington: Honor of the Queen David Weber (Baen 0-671-72172-0, Jun 93 [May 93], $5.99, 422pp, pb, cover by Laurence Schwinger) [Honor Harrington] Sf novel; second book of a series about the adventures of a female starship commander in the tradition of the Horatio Hornblower series.
Honor Harrington: On Basilisk Station David Weber (Baen 0-671-72163-1, Apr 93 [Mar 93], $4.99, 422pp, pb, cover by Larry Schwinger) [Honor Harrington] Sf novel, first book of a new series about the adventures of a female starship commander.
The Winter Prince Elizabeth Wein (Macmillan Atheneum 0-689-31747-6, Sep 93, $14.95, 202pp, hc, cover by Scott Multer) [Winter Prince] Young-adult historical Arthurian novel based on Welsh versions of the legends. A first novel.
The Mists from Beyond ed. Robert Weinberg, Stefan R. Dziemianowicz & Martin H. Greenberg (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45239-9, Sep 93 [Aug 93], $20.00, 350pp, hc) Anthology of 20 ghost stories with an introduction by Stefan R. Dziemianowicz. Recommended (SW).
- vii · Introduction · Stefan R. Dziemianowicz · in
- 11 · The Trial for Murder [To Be Taken with a Grain of Salt] · Charles Dickens · ss All the Year Round Christmas, 1865
- 23 · The Middle Toe of the Right Foot · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Examiner Aug 17, 1890
- 32 · The Judges House · Bram Stoker · ss Holly Leaves Dec 5, 1891
- 50 · Afterward · Edith Wharton · nv The Century Jan 10
- 80 · Smoke Ghost · Fritz Leiber · ss Unknown Oct 41
- 96 · The Crowd · Ray Bradbury · ss Weird Tales May 43
- 110 · A Little Place Off the Edgware Road · Graham Greene · ss Nineteen Stories, Heinemann, 1947
- 116 · The Daemon Lover [The Phantom Lover] · Shirley Jackson · ss Womans Home Companion Feb 49
- 132 · The Man Who Collected Poe · Robert Bloch · ss Famous Fantastic Mysteries Oct 51
- 147 · Poor Little Saturday · Madeleine LEngle · nv Fantastic Universe Oct 56
- 163 · The Indian · John Updike · ss New Yorker Aug 17 63
- 170 · The Legend of Joe Lee · John D. MacDonald · ss Cosmopolitan Oct 64
- 182 · Cry Havoc · Davis Grubb · ss EQMM Aug 76
- 193 · Night-Side · Joyce Carol Oates · nv Night-Side, 1977
- 219 · This Is Death [In at the Death] · Donald E. Westlake · ss The Thirteenth Ghost Book, ed. James Hale, Barrie & Jenkins, 1977
- 233 · The Making of Revelation, Part I · Philip José Farmer · nv After the Fall, ed. Robert Sheckley, Ace, 1980
- 249 · But at My Back I Will Always Hear · David Morrell · ss Shadows #6, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1983
- 265 · Laugh Track · Harlan Ellison · ss Weird Tales Fll 84
- 285 · Confession of a (Pornographers) Shroud · Clive Barker · nv Clive Barkers Books of Blood v3, Sphere, 1984
- 319 · The Ghost Village · Peter Straub · nv MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
Ghost Legion Margaret Weis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56331-9, Jul 93 [Jun 93], $5.99, 534pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Star of the Guardians] Sf adventure novel, fourth book of the Star of the Guardians series.
The Hand of Chaos Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09377-0, Apr 93 [Mar 93], $21.95, 463pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Fantasy novel, fifth book of The Death Gate Cycle.
The Hand of Chaos Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (SFBC #00566, May 93 [Apr 93], $10.98, 463pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1993) fantasy novel, fifth book of The Death Gate Cycle. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Hand of Chaos Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam 0-553-56369-6, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $5.99, 464pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1993) fantasy novel, fifth book of The Death Gate Cycle.
Into the Labyrinth Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam Spectra 0-553-09539-0, Dec 93 [Nov 93], $21.95, 427pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Death Gate Cycle] Fantasy novel, sixth book of The Death Gate Cycle.
Into the Labyrinth Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (SFBC #02325, Jan 94 [Dec 93], $10.98, 427pp, hc, cover by Stephen Youll) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1993) fantasy novel, sixth book of The Death Gate Cycle. Similar to the Bantam Spectra edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Serpent Mage Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (Bantam 0-553-56140-5, Apr 93 [Mar 93], $5.99, 436pp, pb, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Death Gate Cycle] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1992) fantasy novel, fourth book of the Death Gate Cycle.
DragonLance: Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home ed. Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (TSR 0-88038-465-4, Nov 93 [Oct 93], $18.95, 255pp, tp) [DragonLance] Reissue (TSR 1987) reference book on the DragonLance universe. This edition has additional material. Second printing.