Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Star Wars: The Mos Eisley Cantina Pop-Up Book Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta (Little, Brown 0-316-53511-7, Oct 95, $19.95, 11pp, hc, cover by Ralph McQuarrie) [Star Wars] Star Wars pop-up art book, a tie-in to the Bantam Spectra anthology edited by Anderson. There is actually only one pop-up, but one page sings! Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta (Boulevard 1-57297-066-9, Jun 95 [May 95], $4.99, 217pp, pb) [Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights] Young-adult novelization set in the Star Wars universe. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm Ltd.
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta (Boulevard 1-57297-025-1, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $4.99, 206pp, pb, cover by Dave Dorman) [Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights] Young-adult SF novelization, #2 in the series. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones Kevin J. Anderson & Rebecca Moesta (Boulevard 1-57297-052-9, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $4.99, 215pp, pb) [Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights] Young-adult novelization, third in the series. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Tales from Jabbas Palace ed. Kevin J. Anderson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56815-9, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $5.99, 427pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Star Wars] Original anthology of 20 interlocking stories based on the Star Wars universe. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina ed. Kevin J. Anderson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56468-4, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $5.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Star Wars] Original anthology of 16 interlocking stories based on the Star Wars universe. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Harvest the Fire Poul Anderson (Tor 0-312-85943-0, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $19.95, 190pp, hc, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Harvest of Stars] SF novella set in the future history begun in Harvest of Stars.
The Stars Are Also Fire Poul Anderson (SFBC #06470, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $10.98, 412pp, hc, cover by Vincent DiFate) [Harvest of Stars] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel. Similar to the Tor edition, except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Stars Are Also Fire Poul Anderson (Tor 0-812-53022-5, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $5.99, 562pp, pb, cover by Vincent Di Fate) [Harvest of Stars] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF novel, companion to Harvest of Stars.
The Winter of the World Poul Anderson (Tor 0-812-52311-3, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $4.99, 246pp, pb, cover by Paul Lehr) Reissue (SFBC 1976) SF novel of Earth after a future ice age.
All That Glitters V. C. AndrewsR (Pocket 0-671-87319-9, Jun 95 [May 95], $6.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Lisa Falkenstern) [Landry] Associational gothic horror novel (with slight psychic elements), third in the new Landry series. Possibly written by Andrew Neiderman. Copyrighted by the Virginia C. Andrews Trust. A hardcover edition (-87574-4, $23.00) was announced but not seen.
Hidden Jewel V. C. AndrewsR (Pocket 0-671-87320-2, Dec 95, $6.99, 373pp, pb) [Landry] Associational gothic horror novel, fourth in the Landry family series. Also announced in hardcover (-87575-2, $23.00) but not seen.
Made In Goatswood ed. Scott David Aniolowski (Chaosium 1-56882-046-1, Sep 95, $10.95, 268pp, tp, cover by H. E. Fassl) Original anthology of 18 short stories about Ramsey Campbells Severn Valley area, including an original story by Campbell himself. Other authors include A.A. Attanasio, Richard A. Lupoff, and Michael G. Szymanski, and there is an introduction by Scott David Aniolowski.
Bolos 3: The Triumphant ed. Anon. (Baen 0-671-87683-X, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $5.99, 389pp, pb, cover by Paul Alexander) [Bolo] Anthology of four stories, third in a series featuring the sentient tanks created by Keith Laumer. Stories are by Linda Evans (alone and with Robert R. Hollingsworth) and David Weber.
Future Quartet ed. Anon. (AvoNova 0-380-71886-1, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.50, 294pp, pb, cover by Vincent DiFate) Reprint (Morrow AvoNova 1994) anthology of four speculative articles and four stories about life in the mid-21st century, written by Ben Bova, Frederik Pohl, Jerry Pournelle, and Charles Sheffield, with an introduction by Sheffield.
Irish Magic ed. Anon. (Kensington 0-8217-4882-3, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $12.00, 343pp, tp) Original anthology of four tales of romance and enchantment by Roberta Gellis, Morgan Llywelyn, Barbara Samuel, and Susan Wiggs.
Still More Bone-Chilling Tales of Fright ed. Anon. (Lowell House Juvenile 1-56565-317-3, Aug 95 [Sep 95], $5.95, 92pp, pb, cover by Steven Murashige) Original anthology of seven young-adult horror stories, with illustrations by Eric Angeloch. Copyrighted by RGA Publishing Group. Distributed by Contemporary Books, Chicago 312-540-4500; Lowell House Juvenile, 2029 Century Park East, Suite 3290, Los Angeles CA 90067.
The Secret Life of Laszlo, Count Dracula Roderick Anscombe (HarperPaperbacks 0-06-100943-1, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $6.50, 467pp, pb) [Dracula] Reprint (Hyperion 1994) associational horror novel, reinterpreting Dracula as a serial killer rather than a supernatural creature.
Forgotten Realms: Curse of the Shadowmage Mark Anthony (TSR 0-7869-0191-8, Nov 95, $5.99, 309pp, tp, cover by Fred Fields) [Forgotten Realms: Harpers] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, eleventh in The Harpers series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Brother Termite Patricia Anthony (Ace 0-441-00187-4, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $5.50, 261pp, pb, cover by Mark Smollin) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1993) SF novel about an alien President of the United States.
Conscience of the Beagle Patricia Anthony (Ace 0-441-00262-5, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $5.50, 247pp, pb, cover by Mark Smollin) Reprint (First Books 1993) SF novel of a policeman sent to hunt terrorists on another planet.
Geis of the Gargoyle Piers Anthony (Tor 0-312-85391-2, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $22.95, 320pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Xanth] Fantasy novel, volume 18 in the Xanth series. A gargoyle goes on a quest that takes him back in time to Xanths beginnings. First American edition (NEL 1994).
Geis of the Gargoyle Piers Anthony (Tor 0-812-53485-9, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $5.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Xanth] Reprint (NEL 1994) fantasy novel, volume 18 in the Xanth series.
Harpy Thyme Piers Anthony (Tor 0-812-53484-0, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.99, 342pp, pb, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Xanth] Reprint (Tor 1993) fantasy novel, 17th in the Xanth series.
Roc and a Hard Place Piers Anthony (Tor 0-312-85392-0, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $23.95, 319pp, hc, cover by Darrell K. Sweet) [Xanth] Fantasy novel, 19th in the Xanth series. Magician Humfrey must find an impartial jury for the trial of a notable roc.
Shame of Man Piers Anthony (Tor 0-812-55091-9, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $5.99, 503pp, pb, cover by Brad Schmehl) [Geodyssey] Reprint (Tor 1994) fantasy novel, sequel to Isle of Woman. An identical mass-market international edition appeared in March 1995.
Three Complete Xanth Novels Piers Anthony (Random House/Wings 0-517-12233-2, 1994 [Jul 95], $12.99, 774pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) [Xanth] Omnibus of A Spell for Chameleon (1977), The Source of Magic (1979), and Castle Roogna (1979). Dated 1994, but not seen until now.
- · A Spell for Chameleon · n. New York: Ballantine, 1977
- · The Source of Magic · n. New York: Ballantine, 1979
- · Castle Roogna · n. New York: Ballantine, 1979
The Caterpillars Question Piers Anthony & Philip José Farmer (Ace 0-441-00213-7, May 95 [Apr 95], $5.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) Reprint (Ace 1992) science fantasy novel.
Tales from the Great Turtle ed. Piers Anthony & Richard Gilliam (Tor 0-812-53490-5, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.99, 500pp, pb) Reprint (Tor 1994) anthology of 29 original fantasy stories in the Native American tradition.
Trudging to Eden Kim Antieau (Silver Salamander Press 0-940841-66-5, Dec 94 [Mar 95], $30.00, 238pp, hc) Collection of 12 stories, six original, with an introduction by Charles de Lint. A signed, limited edition of 300; a deluxe, leatherbound edition ($65.00) was announced but not seen. Order from Blue Moon Books, 360 West First, Eugene OR 97401; credit card orders 800-738-2660.
- ix · Heart-Gold from Words of Straw · Charles de Lint · in
- · Dismemberment
- 3 · Listening for the General · ss Twilight Zone Feb 88
- 17 · Lab Rats · ss *
- 25 · 2B · ss *
- 45 · An Awful Leisure · ss *
- 65 · Cycles · ss Shadows #8, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday, 1985
- · Remembering
- 75 · A Vagabond for Genesis · nv *
- 103 · Fractures · ss Twilight Zone Dec 86
- 129 · The Involuted Man · ss *
- 149 · Another Country · ss Science Fiction Age May 93
- · Transformation
- 171 · The Mark of the Beast · ss The Ultimate Werewolf, ed. Byron Preiss, David Kellor, Megan Miller & John Gregory Betancourt, Dell, 1991
- 195 · The Girl with No Hair · ss *
- 209 · Trudging to Eden · ss F&SF Nov 88
Hunter of the Light Risa Aratyr (HarperPrism 0-06-105457-7, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $5.99, 627pp, pb, cover by Paul Wright) Celtic fantasy novel. To save the worlds magic, a bard must hunt down a magic elk. For the Gaelic-impaired, there are four appendices and 17 pages of glossary/pronounciation guide. A first novel.
Predator: Concrete Jungle Nathan Archer (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56557-5, May 95 [Apr 95], $4.99, 306pp, pb, cover by John Bolton) [Predator] Novelization based on the SF movie and Dark Horse Comics series. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.
Star Trek Voyager #3: Ragnarok Nathan Archer (Pocket 0-671-52044-X, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $5.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek: Voyager] Star Trek novelization based on the TV series. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #10: Valhalla Nathan Archer (Pocket 0-671-88115-9, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $5.50, 277pp, pb) [Star Trek: Deep Space Nine] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Primary Inversion Catherine Asaro (Tor 0-312-85764-0, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $21.95, 317pp, hc, cover by Ron Walotsky) [Skolian Empire; Soz] SF novel of interstellar war and psionic aristocrats. A first novel.
The Work of William F. Temple Mike Ashley (Borgo Press 0-8095-1507-5, 1994 [Mar 95], $15.00, 112pp, tp) Non-fiction reference, an annotated bibliography and guide to the works of one of Britains lesser-known SF writers. There are also Reminiscences by Arthur C. Clarke, an afterword by Forrest J Ackerman, The Final Word by Joan Temple, two examples of Temples early fan writing, and a 1939 profile of Temple written by Clarke. Has a 1994 copyright date, but not seen until now. A hardcover edition was also announced (0-8095-0507-X, $25.00) but not seen. Order from Borgo Press, PO Box 2845, San Bernardino CA 92406; add $2.50 shipping. Credit card orders: fax 909-888-4942. [William F. Temple]
The Supernatural Index: A Listing of Fantasy, Supernatural, Occult, Weird, and Horror Anthologies Mike Ashley & William G. Contento (Greenwood Press 0-313-24030-2, Jun 95, $195.00, 933pp, hc) Non-fiction reference. A bibliographical listing of over 2,100 fantasy and horror anthologies, and their contents, from 1813 to the present. Anthologies are listed by editor and title; stories are listed by author and title. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800.
The Camelot Chronicles ed. Mike Ashley (Random House/Wings 0-517-12450-5, 1995 [Dec 95], $11.99, 418pp, hc, cover by Keith Parkinson) Reprint (Robinson; Carroll & Graf 1992) anthology of 18 Arthurian stories, seven original, and one poem, with an introduction by the editor and a dramatis personae of Arthurian characters. This is an instant remainder edition.
The Merlin Chronicles ed. Mike Ashley (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0275-3, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $12.95, 446pp, tp, cover by Julek Heller) Anthology of 22 Arthurian stories, nine original, and one a re-worked extract of Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. There is a detailed introduction of the history of Merlin by Ashley. Authors include Robert Holdstock, Tanith Lee, Esther Friesner, and Charles de Lint. Simultaneous with the UK (Raven) edition.
Project FarCry Pauline Ashwell (Tor 0-312-85861-2, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $23.95, 384pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) SF quasi-novel from five stories. A telepath hides his talents until a fateful first encounter with aliens.
The Gods Themselves Isaac Asimov (SFBC #07685, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $8.98, 288pp, hc, cover by Barclay Shaw) Reissue (Doubleday 1972) classic SF novel. A Hugo, Nebula, and Locus Award winner.
Gold Isaac Asimov (HarperPrism 0-06-105206-X, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $20.00, 345pp, hc) SF collection of previously uncollected works: 15 stories, 18 essays on SF, and 20 essays on writing SF.
- · part one The Final Stories
- 3 · Cal · nv Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1990
- 33 · Left to Right · vi Analog Jan 87
- 35 · Frustration · vi There Wont Be War, ed. Harry Harrison & Bruce McAllister, Tor, 1991
- 39 · Hallucination · nv Boys Life Feb 85 (+2)
- 59 · The Instability · vi The London Observer Jan 1 89
- 63 · Alexander the God · ss, 1995
- 69 · In the Canyon [Latter-Day Martian Chronicles] · vi Omni Jul 90
- 73 · Good-bye to Earth · ss Interview Jan 89
- 79 · Battle-Hymn · ss, 1995
- 83 · Feghoot and the Courts · vi *; revised from Burnside and the Courts, Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?, ed. James Charlton, Doubleday 1986.
- 85 · Fault-Intolerant · ss IASFM May 90
- 91 · Kid Brother · ss IASFM mid-Dec 90
- 101 · The Nations in Space · ss, 1995
- 105 · The Smile of the Chipper [Man as the Ultimate Gadget] · ss Business Week Oct 21 88
- 109 · Gold · nv Analog Sep 91
- · part two On Science Fiction
- 139 · The Longest Voyage · in Starships, ed. Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Fawcett, 1983
- 145 · Inventing a Universe · in Isaacs Universe Volume One: The Diplomacy Guild, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Avon, 1990
- 151 · Flying Saucers and Science Fiction · in Flying Saucers, ed. Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg & Charles G. Waugh, Fawcett, 1982
- 155 · Invasion · ar, 1995
- 159 · The Science Fiction Blowgun · in 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, ed. Isaac Asimov, Martin H. Greenberg & Joseph D. Olander, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1978
- 161 · The Robot Chronicles · in Robot Visions, NAL/Roc, 1990
- 177 · Golden Age Ahead · ed IASFM Jun 79
- 181 · The All-Human Galaxy · ed IASFM Mar 83
- 185 · Psychohistory · ed IASFM Jul 88
- 191 · Science Fiction Series · ed IASFM mid-Dec 86
- 197 · Survivors · ed IASFM Nov 87
- 203 · Nowhere! · ed IASFM Sep 83
- 209 · Outsiders, Insiders · ed IASFM Feb 86
- 215 · Science Fiction Anthologies · ed IASFM May 11 81
- 219 · The Influence of Science Fiction · ed IASFM Aug 3 81
- 225 · Women and Science Fiction · ed IASFM Jan 83
- 229 · Religion and Science Fiction · ed IASFM Jun 84
- 235 · Time-Travel · ed IASFM Apr 84
- · part three On Writing Science Fiction
- 241 · Plotting · ed IASFM Jun 89
- 247 · Metaphor · ed IASFM mid-Dec 89
- 253 · Ideas · ed IASFM Mar 90
- 259 · Suspense · ed IASFM Mar-Apr 91
- 263 · Serials · ed IASFM Jul 80
- 267 · The Name of Our Field · ed IASFM May/Jun 78
- 271 · Hints · ed IASFM Mar 79
- 275 · Writing for Young People · ed IASFM Jul 86
- 281 · Names · ed IASFM Dec 84
- 285 · Originality · ed IASFM Apr 86
- 289 · Book Reviews · ed IASFM Feb 16 81
- 295 · What Writers Go Through · ed IASFM Dec 21 81
- 301 · Revisions · ed IASFM Jul 82
- 305 · Irony · ed IASFM Oct 84
- 309 · Plagiarism · ed IASFM Aug 85
- 315 · Symbolism · ed IASFM Jun 85
- 321 · Prediction · ed IASFM Jul 89
- 327 · Best-Seller · ed IASFM May 83
- 333 · Pseudonyms · ed IASFM Jan 84
- 339 · Dialog · ed IASFM Apr 85