Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Blood: A Southern Fantasy Michael Moorcock (Morrow AvoNova 0-688-14362-8, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $22.00, 337pp, hc, cover by Dorian Vallejo) [Begg Family] Literary SF novel in the Bek family series. First US edition (Millennium 1994).
Elric: Songs of the Black Sword Michael Moorcock (White Wolf 1-56504-180-1, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $19.99, 504pp, hc, cover by Kent Williams) [Elric] Omnibus of three Elric novels: Elric of Melnibone, The Fortress of the Pearl, and The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, plus three stories. This is the fifth volume in the Eternal Champion series. There is an expanded introduction, but otherwise this is similar to the Millennium 1993 edition published as Elric of Melnibone, volume eight in their Tale of the Eternal Champion series. There are some minor textual corrections.
Hawkmoon: The Eternal Champion, Vol. 3 Michael Moorcock (White Wolf 1-56504-178-X, Apr 95, $19.99, 504pp, hc, cover by John Zeleznik) [Runestaff] Reprint (Granada 1979 as The History of the Runestaff) omnibus of the Hawkmoon novels: The Jewel in the Skull, The Mad Gods Amulet, The Sword of the Dawn, and The Runestaff, with an introduction by Moorcock and illustrations by James Cawthorn. Similar to the Millennium 1992 edition, which lacks the Cawthorn illustrations and map, and has a slightly different introduction.
Lunching with the Anti-Christ Michael Moorcock (Mark V. Ziesing 0-929480-46-5, Feb 95, $25.00, 216pp, hc, cover by Phil Hale) Collection of seven interconnected stories, subtitled A Family History: 1925-2015, dealing with various families from other Moorcock books. Also available in signed, slipcased limited edition (-47-3, $60.00). Available from Mark V. Ziesing, PO Box 76, Shingletown CA 96088.
- 3 · Introduction · in
- 5 · A Winter Admiral [Von Bek; Begg] · ss The Daily Telegraph, 1994
- 13 · Wheel of Fortune [Hanging the Fool] · nv Tarot Tales, ed. Rachel Pollack & Caitlin Matthews, Legend, 1989
- 37 · Dead Singers [A Dead Singer] · nv Factions, ed. Giles Gordon & Alex Hamilton, 1974
- 63 · Lunching with the Antichrist [Von Bek; Begg] · nv Smoke Signals Sep 93
- 105 · The Opium General · ss The Opium General, Harper & Row, 1984
- 119 · The Cairene Purse [Von Bek] · na Zenith 2, ed. David S. Garnett, Orbit, 1990
- 195 · Crossing into Cambodia · ss Twenty Houses of the Zodiac, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, London: NEL, 1979
A Nomad of the Time Streams Michael Moorcock (White Wolf 1-56504-179-8, Sep 95, $19.99, 424pp, hc, cover by Chris Moeller) [Oswald Bastable] Reprint (SFBC 1982 as The Nomad of Time) SF omnibus of the Captain Bastable adventures: The Warlord of the Air, The Land Leviathan, and The Steel Tsar; The Eternal Champion Vol. 4. This is similar to the revised and expanded 1993 Millennium edition (volume six in their Eternal Champion series) with a very slightly revised introduction by Moorcock, and some textual corrections.
Von Bek: The Eternal Champion Vol. 2 Michael Moorcock (White Wolf 1-56504-177-1, Jan 95, $19.99, 704pp, hc, cover by Janet Aulisio) [Von Bek] Omnibus of the Von Bek novels: The War Hound and the Worlds Pain (Timescape 1981), The City in the Autumn Stars (Grafton 1986), The Dragon in the Sword (Ace 1986), and The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius. Similar to the 1992 Millennium omnibus, which lacks the new introduction by Moorcock and The Dragon in the Sword.
- i · Introduction · in
- 1 · The War Hound and the Worlds Pain · n. New York: Timescape Books, 1981
- 169 · The City in the Autumn Stars · n. London: Grafton Books, 1986
- 459 · The Dragon in the Sword [John Daker] · n. New York: Ace, 1986
- 689 · The Pleasure Garden of Felipe Sagittarius [as by James Colvin] · ss New Worlds Sep 65
From Hell Alan Moore (Borderlands Press 1-880-325-07-1, Jan 95, $14.95, 343pp, tp, cover by Alan Moore) Script for the eponymous graphic novel about Jack the Ripper, volume one of four in From Hell: The Complete Scripts. Illustrated by Eddie Campbell, with an afterword by Stephen Bissette. Available from Borderlands Press, PO Box 146, Brooklandville, MD 21022.
Bloodsucking Fiends Christopher Moore (Simon & Schuster 0-684-81097-2, Sep 95 [Aug 95], $23.00, 300pp, hc) [Bloodsucking Fiends] Satirical vampire novel set in San Francisco.
Coyote Blue Christopher Moore (Avon 0-380-72523-1, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $10.00, 303pp, tp, cover by Michael McGurl) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1994) satirical fantasy novel about two lovers dogged by the Native American trickster god, Coyote.
Dark Moon #2: Dreams of Revenge Elizabeth Moore (Scholastic 0-590-25510-X, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $3.99, 167pp, pb) [Dark Moon] Young-adult horror novel. A young woman, possibly delusional, believes that she was wrongly hanged in a past and seeks revenge on descendants of the Salem witch trial judges.
The World of Darkness: House of Secrets James A. Moore & Kevin Murphy (White Wolf 1-56504-843-1, Jun 95 [May 95], $5.99, 362pp, tp, cover by Harold MacNeil) [World of Darkness] Horror novelization based on the Vampire: The Eternal Struggle role-playing game. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
Conan and the Shamans Curse Sean A. Moore (Tor 0-812-55265-2, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $4.99, 244pp, pb, cover by Ken Kelly) [Conan] Fantasy novelization based on the Robert E. Howard character. Copyrighted by Conan Properties, Inc.
Earth Winter Richard Moran (Tor/Forge 0-312-85528-1, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $22.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Tim Jacobus) [Empire of Ice] SF novel of a new Ice Age, sequel to The Empire of Ice. Ben Meade tries to divert the Gulf Stream.
The Empire of Ice Richard Moran (Tor 0-812-53009-8, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $5.99, 371pp, pb, cover by Tim Jacobus) [Empire of Ice] Reprint (Tor 1994) SF disaster thriller about a new ice age in England.
Sophies Legacy Dareion Morgan (University Editions 1-56002-536-0, Nov 95, $9.95, 171pp, tp, cover by Jeffrey Kaiser) SF novel about freedom fighters on Mars. Morgan is a pen name for Marjorie A. Walz.
A Certain Magic Kathleen Morgan (St. Martins 0-312-95423-9, May 95 [Apr 95], $5.50, 344pp, pb) Fantasy/romance novel. A sorcerer fears sex because his magic feeds on his partners life force, but a female mercenary is determined to have her way with him and force him to face his evil twin.
Some Things Come Back Robert Morgan (Berkley Prime Crime 0-425-14690-1, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $4.99, 247pp, pb) [Teddy London] Vampire mystery, sixth in the series featuring Teddy London, P.I. and his arch-enemy, the immortal vampire king. Morgan is a pen name for C.J. Henderson.
Thunder on the Left Christopher Morley (Sun & Moon Press 1-55713-190-2, Feb 95, $12.95, 274pp, tp, cover by Fairfield Porter) Reprint (Doubleday Page & Co 1925) fantasy novel of children who make a pact never to grow old, which haunts them as adults. Available from Sun & Moon Press, 6026 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90036.
Arthur, High King of Britain Michael Morpurgo (Harcourt Brace 0-15-200080-1, Apr 95, $19.95, 137pp, hc, cover by Michael Foreman) Young-adult Arthurian novel. A contemporary boy falls into the ocean and finds King Arthur, who tells his life story in this otherwise straightforward retelling of several of the best-known tales. There are full-color illustrations by Michael Foreman. First US edition (Pavilion UK 1994).
Kings Quest: Kingdom of Sorrow Kenyon Morr (Boulevard 1-57297-033-2, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $5.99, 325pp, pb) [Kings Quest] Novelization, second in the series based on the fantasy computer game from Sierra On-Line. Text copyrighted by Mark Sumner and Mariella Sands.
The Totem David Morrell (Warner 0-446-36446-0, Jun 95 [May 95], $6.50, 365pp, pb) Reprint (Grant 1994) horror novel. A revision of the earlier (Evans 1979) cut version.
The Dragon Path: The Collected Tales of Kenneth Morris Kenneth Morris (Tor 0-312-85309-2, Mar 95, $23.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Deirdre E. Snowdon) Collection of 40 fantasy tales with elements from the mythology of many cultures, edited and with an introduction by Douglas A. Anderson. Includes the earlier collection The Secret Mountain and Other Tales (Faber & Gwyer 1926).
- 9 · Introduction · Douglas A. Anderson · in
- 33 · The White Bird Inn · ss, 1915
- 37 · The Eyeless Dragons: A Chinese Story [as by Quintus Reynolds] · ss The Theosophical Path Jun 15
- 43 · The Night of Al Kadr [as by C. ApArthur] · ss The Theosophical Path Jul-Dec 15
- 53 · The Regent of the North [as by C. ApArthur] · ss The Theosophical Path Aug 15
- 63 · The Lost Poet · ss
- 71 · The Temple of the Baby Apollo · ss
- 79 · The King and the Three Ascetics · ss
- 87 · The Rose and the Cup [as by Wentworth Tompkins] · ss The Theosophical Path Apr 16
- 99 · The Violinists Dream · ss
- 109 · The Avatar · ss
- 117 · Red-Peach-Blossom Inlet [as by Hankin Maggs] · ss The Theosophical Path Oct 16
- 127 · The Saint and the Forest-Gods · ss, 1917
- 135 · A Mermaids Tragedy · ss
- 143 · A Wild Gods Whim · ss
- 151 · Daffodil · ss
- 159 · A Mistake in the Mail? · ss
- 165 · The Last Adventure of Don Quixote [as by Fortescue Lanyard] · ss The Theosophical Path Sep 17
- 173 · Deio the Mountain · ss
- 183 · The Cauldron of Ceridwen · ss
- 191 · The Bunch Titania Picked · ss, 1918
- 201 · The Divina Commedia of Evan Leyshon · ss
- 215 · The Prodigals Return · ss, 1919
- 227 · The Secret Mountain · ss
- 237 · Sion ap Siencyn · ss, 1921
- 241 · Pali the Nurse · ss
- 245 · The Lord of the Planet · ss, 1922
- 257 · The Victory · ss, 1923
- 265 · The Apples of Knowledge · ss
- 271 · Bachs Fugue in D MinorAn Interpretation · vi, 1929
- 273 · Destroying Delusion · ss
- 277 · The Bard of the Mountain · ss
- 281 · The Iris · ss
- 285 · Hell, Heaven, and Beethoven · ss, 1930
- 289 · The Sapphire Necklace · ss The Theosophical Path Nov 30
- · Appendix: Early Stories (1898-1902)
- 299 · Prince Lion of the Sure Hand: A Story for Children · ss, 1898
- 305 · The Epic of Wales · ss, 1899
- 325 · The King with the Silver Hand · ss, 1900
- 335 · The Prince of the Streamland · ss
- 343 · Hu with the White Shield: A Story for Children · nv
- 367 · The Story of Mabon · ss, 1902
- 379 · Bibliography · Misc. · bi
This Is the Way the World Ends James Morrow (Harcourt Brace/Harvest 0-15-600208-6, May 95 [Apr 95], $11.00, 319pp, tp) Reprint (Henry Holt 1986) satiric fable about atomic war.
Towing Jehovah James Morrow (Harcourt Brace/Harvest 0-15-600210-8, May 95 [Apr 95], $12.00, 371pp, tp, cover by Simon Ng) [Towing Jehovah] Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1994) satiric fantasy novel about the disposal of Gods body.
Night Vision Ronald Munson (Penguin/Signet 0-451-18013-5, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $5.99, 412pp, pb) Thriller with SF elements, set partially in cyberspace. A hacker kidnaps an actress.
Dance Dance Dance Haruki Murakami (Kodansha International 0-679-75379-6, Feb 95 [Jan 95], $13.00, 393pp, tp) [Wild Sheep Chase] Reprint (Kodansha Ltd. 1988) literary fantasy/magic realism novel. Translated by Alfred Birnbaum.
The Critical Response to Kurt Vonnegut ed. Leonard Mustazza (Greenwood Press 0-313-28634-5, Nov 94 [Jan 95], $59.95, 346pp, hc) Critical collection of 40 reviews and essays discussing Vonneguts work. Order from Greenwood Press, 88 Post Road West, Box 5007, Westport CT 06881; credit card orders: 800-225-5800. [Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.]
Shadow of the Red Moon Walter Dean Myers (Scholastic 0-590-45895-7, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $14.95, 183pp, hc, cover by Christopher Myers) Young-adult fantasy novel, illustrated by Christopher Myers. Young people seek help for the Crystal City, under seige by the savage Fens children.
The Bohr Maker Linda Nagata (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56925-2, Apr 95 [Mar 95], $4.99, 325pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) SF novel of outlaw nanotechnology. A first novel.
The Bohr Maker Linda Nagata (SFBC #07488, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $8.98, 325pp, hc, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1995) SF novel of outlaw nanotechnology. This first hardcover edition is otherwise similar to the Bantam Spectra paperback edition; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Tech-Heaven Linda Nagata (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56926-0, Dec 95 [Nov 95], $4.99, 357pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) SF novel. A woman becomes a fugitive trying to save her husband with outlawed life-extension technology.
Jimmy, the Pickpocket of the Palace Donna Jo Napoli (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-45357-1, May 95 [Apr 95], $14.99, 165pp, pb, cover by Judith Byron Schachner) [Prince of the Pond] Young-adult fantasy novel, sequel to The Prince of the Pond. The frog princes frog-son Jimmy turns up at the palace.
The Magic Circle Donna Jo Napoli (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-037439-6, Jun 95 [May 95], $3.99, 118pp, pb, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) Reprint (Dutton 1993) young-adult fantasy novel. The witch from Hansel and Gretel tells her side of the story.
Quasar Jamil Nasir (Bantam Spectra 0-553-56886-8, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.99, 207pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) SF novel of van Vogtian intrigue. A first novel.
deadrush Yvonne Navarro (Bantam 0-553-56359-9, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $5.99, 351pp, pb, cover by Alan Ayers) Horror novel. After a strange backwoods rite of passage, a teen goes to Chicago to raise the dead.
Species Yvonne Navarro (Bantam 0-553-57404-3, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $4.99, 279pp, pb) Novelization of the movie.
The Maddening Andrew Neiderman (Berkley 0-425-09898-2, Mar 95 [Feb 95], $5.50, 312pp, pb) Reprint (Berkley 1987 as Playmates) horror novel. This is a movie tie-in edition.
The Star Trek: the Next Generation Companion Larry Nemecek (Pocket 0-671-88340-2, May 95 [Apr 95], $14.00, 339pp, tp) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Revised and updated edition of the 1992 guide to the television show, now complete with all the TV episodes and the Star Trek Generations movie. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Enchanted Castle E. Nesbit (Penguin/Puffin Classics 0-14-036743-8, Jul 95, $3.50, tp, cover by Peter Mennim) Reprint (Unwin 1907) classic childrens fantasy novel. This edition follows the Benn 1956 UK edition, with illustrations by H.R. Millar from the Coward 1933 edition.
Bad Dreams Kim Newman (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0227-3, May 95 [Apr 95], $4.95, 281pp, pb) Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 1990) horror novel.
The Bloody Red Baron Kim Newman (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0252-4, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $21.00, 358pp, hc, cover by Tony Greco) [Dracula] Alternate-history vampire novel, sequel to Anno Dracula. Edgar Allen Poe, a vampire, writes the biography of the Bloody Red Baron during WWI.
The Bloody Red Baron Kim Newman (SFBC #10578, Jan 96 [Dec 95], $9.98, 358pp, hc, cover by Tony Greco) [Dracula] Reprint (Carroll & Graf 1995) alternate-history vampire novel, sequel to Anno Dracula. This is similar to the Carroll & Graf edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Quorum Kim Newman (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0283-4, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $5.95, 311pp, pb) Reprint (Simon & Schuster UK 1994) contemporary Faustian dark-fantasy novel.
Saturns Child Nichelle Nichols & Margaret Wander Bonanno (Ace 0-399-14113-8, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $21.95, 340pp, hc, cover by Michael Herring) SF novel by Star Treks Lieutenant Uhura. First contact leads to human-alien romance.
A Breach in the Watershed Douglas Niles (Ace 0-441-00208-0, Aug 95 [Jul 95], $13.00, 435pp, tp, cover by Ciruelo Cabral) [Watershed] Fantasy novel, book one of the Watershed trilogy.
DragonLance: The Lost Histories #1: The Kagonesti Douglas Niles (TSR 0-7869-0091-1, Jan 95, $4.95, 306pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore) [DragonLance: Lost Histories] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game, first in a new series. Copyrighted by TSR.
First Quest: Pawns Prevail Douglas Niles (TSR 1-56076-854-1, May 95 [Apr 95], $4.95, 314pp, tp, cover by Paul Jaquays) [Quest Triad] Young-adult novelization based on the introductory role-playing game; book one of the Quest Triad.
First Quest: Suitors Duel Douglas Niles (TSR 1-56076-922-X, Aug 95, $3.99, 282pp, tp, cover by Den Beauvais) [Quest Triad] Young-adult fantasy novelization, book two in the Quest Triad. Copyrighted by TSR.
I Am Spock Leonard Nimoy (Hyperion 0-7868-6182-7, Oct 95 [Sep 95], $24.95, 342pp, hc) [Star Trek] Non-fiction autobiography of the actor best known for his Star Trek role. This book includes some material (such as correspondence with Isaac Asimov) previously published in I Am Not Spock (Celestial Arts 1975). A signed, limited edition (-6196-7, $250.00) was announced but not seen.
Flatlander Larry Niven (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-39480-1, Jun 95 [May 95], $5.99, 360pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) [Gil Hamilton] Collection of the three Gil the Arm stories originally collected in The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton (Ballantine 1976), the short novel The Patchwork Girl (Ace 1980), plus one new story. There is a new afterword on the problems of writing the stories. The book lacks both a contents page and copyright information.
- 1 · Death by Ecstasy [The Organleggers] · na Galaxy Jan 69
- 71 · The Defenseless Dead · nv Ten Tomorrows, ed. Roger Elwood, Fawcett, 1973
- 124 · ARM · na Epoch, ed. Roger Elwood & Robert Silverberg, Berkley, 1975
- 190 · The Patchwork Girl · na New York: Ace, 1980
- 313 · The Woman in Del Rey Crater · nv *
- 353 · Afterword: Science/Mystery Fiction · aw *
Beowulfs Children Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle & Steven Barnes (Tor 0-312-85522-2, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $23.95, 382pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Heorot] SF novel, sequel to The Legacy of Heorot. First US edition (Gollancz 1995 as The Dragons of Heorot).
Man-Kzin Wars VII ed. Larry Niven (Baen 0-671-87670-8, Jul 95 [Jun 95], $5.99, 345pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Man-Kzin Wars] Original anthology of three pieces set in Nivens Known Space universe, including a short SF novel by Gregory Benford & Mark O. Martin.
The Ragwitch Garth Nix (Tor 0-812-53506-5, Nov 95 [Oct 95], $3.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Joe Danisi) Young-adult horror novel. An evil doll possesses a girl, and leads her brother into another dimension. This is actually the second Tor printing; the first, dated October 1994, was for specialized sales only. First US edition (Pan Australia 1990).
Sabriel Garth Nix (HarperCollinsAustralia/Moonstone 0-7322-5123-0, May 95 [Apr 95], A$9.95, 328pp, pb, cover by Greg Rogers) [Abhorsen] Young-adult fantasy novel. A good necromancers daughter has to continue his work of putting down the dead raised by evil magic.
The Same Place But Different Perry Nodelman (Simon & Schuster 0-671-89839-6, Jun 95 [Sep 95], $15.00, 181pp, hc, cover by Steve Cieslawski) [Same Place But Different] Young-adult fantasy novel. A boy has to rescue his baby sister from the fairies.
Night Shapes William F. Nolan (CD Publications 1-881475-14-X, Aug 95 [Oct 95], $50.00, 341pp, hc, cover by Alan M. Clark) Collection of 25 horror stories, one original, with an introduction by Peter Straub and an afterword by Robert Bloch. A signed (by Nolan and Straub), limited, slipcased edition of 500. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 18433, Baltimore MD 21237.
- 11 · Authors Foreword · fw
- 13 · William F. Nolan: An Introduction · Peter Straub · in
- 19 · The Party · ss Playboy Apr 67
- 33 · An Act of Violence · ss Phantasm #2 95
- 43 · My Name Is Dolly · ss Whispers VI, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1987
- 49 · The Halloween Man · ss Night Cry Sum 86
- 63 · Him, Her, Them · ss Psycho-Paths, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1991
- 85 · Gobble, Gobble! · ss Weird Tales Win 90
- 93 · The Visit · ss MetaHorror, ed. Dennis Etchison, Dell Abyss, 1992
- 101 · On Harpers Road · ss Journeys to the Twilight Zone, ed. Carol Serling & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1993
- 119 · A Final Stone · ss Cutting Edge, ed. Dennis Etchison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1986
- 147 · The Yard · ss Masques #2, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1987
- 159 · Major Prevue Here Tonight · ss Post Mortem: New Tales of Ghastly Horror, ed. Paul F. Olson & David B. Silva, St. Martins, 1989
- 173 · Babes Laughter · ss Cold Blood, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Ziesing, 1991
- 181 · The Visions · ss Weird Tales Fll 91
- 191 · On 42nd St. · ss Masques #3, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1989
- 205 · The Cure · ss The Horror Show Sum 88
- 229 · Stoner · ss Twilight Zone Apr 89
- 237 · Trust Not a Man · ss Masques #1, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1984
- 253 · Ceremony · nv Midnight, ed. Charles L. Grant, Tor, 1985
- 277 · From a Narrow House · ss Narrow Houses, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1992
- 287 · The Giant Man · ss Voices from the Night, ed. John Maclay, Maclay & Associates, 1994
- 295 · The Francis File · ss The Best of Whispers, ed. Stuart David Schiff, Borderlands Press, 1994
- 307 · Special Treat · ss After the Darkness, ed. Stanley Wiater, Baltimore, MD: Maclay & Associates, 1993
- 319 · Getting Dead · ss Iniquities Spr 91
- 327 · Boyfriend · ss *
- 333 · Afterword · Robert Bloch · aw
- 341 · Authors Note · aw