Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Neanderthal John Darnton (Random House 0-679-44978-7, Apr 96, $24.00, 368pp, hc) Lost-race novel. Scientists and spies in Tajikistan discover a tribe of telepathic neanderthals living in a soon-to-be-lost Eden. A first novel by a Pulitzer-Prize winning journalist.
Free City Eric Darton (Norton 0-393-03980-3, Sep 96 [Nov 96], $18.00, 176pp, hc) Alternate-world historical (or Swiftian satire) about a manic inventor at the dawn of the Enlightenment who experiments with caffeine, simulated life, a talking duck, and binary code.
Off Limits: Tales of Alien Sex ed. Ellen Datlow (St. Martins 0-312-14019-3, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $22.95, 316pp, hc, cover by Alan Dingman) Original anthology of 20 stories (four reprints) of alien sex, alienated sex, etc. Authors include Scott Bradfield, Richard Christian Matheson, Joyce Carol Oates, and Neil Gaiman. There is a foreword by Robert Silverberg, and an introduction by Datlow.
- xi · Foreword · Robert Silverberg · fw
- xv · Introduction · Ellen Datlow · in
- 1 · The Reality Trip · Robert Silverberg · ss If May 70
- 23 · The Tattooist · Susan Wade · ss *
- 42 · Dolly Sodom · John Kaiine · ss *
- 47 · The Lucifer of Blue · Sherry Coldsmith · nv *
- 75 · The Queen of the Apocalypse · Scott Bradfield · ss *
- 89 · Oral · Richard Christian Matheson · ss *
- 95 · Grand Prix · Simon Ings · ss Omni Jun 93
- 114 · The House of Mourning · Brian Stableford · ss *
- 133 · Fetish · Martha Soukup · ss *
- 141 · Red Sonja and Lessingham in Dreamland · Gwyneth Jones · ss *
- 160 · The Future of Birds · Mike ODriscoll · nv *
- 193 · Captain China · Bruce McAllister · ss *
- 210 · Background: The Dream · Lisa Tuttle · vi *
- 214 · Aye, and Gomorrah... · Samuel R. Delany · ss Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- 227 · Ursus Triad, Later · Kathe Koja & Barry N. Malzberg · ss *
- 236 · Sextraterrestrials · Joe Haldeman & Jane Yolen · gp *
- 237 · To the marriage of two kinds · Joe Haldeman · pm *
- 238 · Intermarriage · Jane Yolen · pm *
- 239 · Sex on the Planet of the Trees · Joe Haldeman · pm *
- 240 · First Contact/Second Coming · Jane Yolen · pm *
- 241 · Sex Among the Abos · Jane Yolen · pm *
- 242 · Come, talk · Joe Haldeman · pm *
- 244 · The Dream-Catcher · Joyce Carol Oates · ss *
- 263 · His Angel · Roberta Lannes · ss *
- 279 · Eaten (Scenes from a Moving Picture) · Neil Gaiman · pm *
- 287 · In the Month of Athyr [Winterlong] · Elizabeth Hand · nv OMNI Best Science Fiction Two, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1992
Twists of the Tale ed. Ellen Datlow (Dell 0-440-21771-7, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.50, 366pp, pb) Original anthology of 23 horror stories about cats. Two are reprints, one a story by William S. Burroughs previously published only in chapbook form. Authors include Nancy Kress, Storm Constantine, Joyce Carol Oates, and Nina Kiriki Hoffman.
Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (AvoNova 0-380-77872-6, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 416pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (Morrow 1995) original anthology of contemporary retellings of fairy tales.
The Years Best Fantasy and Horror: Ninth Annual Collection ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling (St. Martins 0-312-14450-4, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $17.95, 534pp, hc, cover by Thomas Canty) Best-of-the-year anthology of 34 stories and 11 poems. There are also 87 additional pages containing a necrology by James Frenkel, summations of 1995 fantasy and horror by the editors, and a media summary by Edward Bryant. Also available in hardcover (-14449-0, $27.95). Packaged and copyrighted by James Frenkel & Associates.
- xiii · Summation 1995: Fantasy · Terri Windling · ar
- xxix · Summation 1995: Horror · Ellen Datlow · ar
- lxxi · Horror and Fantasy in the Media: 1995 · Edward Bryant · ar
- lxxxiii · Obituaries · James Frenkel · ob
- 1 · Home for Christmas [Matt Black] · Nina Kiriki Hoffman · nv F&SF Jan 95
- 21 · Heartfires [Newford] · Charles de Lint · ss Triskell Press, 1994
- 31 · Screens · Terry Lamsley · nv Dark Terrors, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1995
- 49 · King of Crows · Midori Snyder · ss Xanadu 3, ed. Jane Yolen, Tor, 1995
- 59 · Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros · Peter S. Beagle · nv Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 74 · The Hunt of the Unicorn · Ellen Kushner · ss Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 86 · More Tomorrow · Michael Marshall Smith · nv Dark Terrors, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1995
- 108 · Penguins for Lunch · Scott Bradfield · ss TriQuarterly #93 95
- 125 · Ether OR · Ursula K. Le Guin · nv Asimovs Nov 95
- 142 · Paper Lantern · Stuart Dybek · ss New Yorker Nov 27 95
- 151 · Lunch at the Gotham Café · Stephen King · nv Dark Love, ed. Nancy Collins, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Penguin/Roc, 1995
- 175 · Queen of Knives · Neil Gaiman · pm Tombs, Edward E. Kramer & Peter Crowther, White Wolf, 1995
- 183 · Dragon-Rain · Eileen Kernaghan · ss Magic, ed. David C. Kopaska-Merkel & Morgan L. Kopaska-Merkel, Stone Lightning Press, 1995
- 198 · Llantos de La Llorona: Warnings from the Wailer · Pat Mora · pm Agua Santa/Holy Water, Beacon Press, 1995
- 201 · Too Short a Death · Peter Crowther · nv Celebrity Vampires, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 218 · The James Dean Garage Band · Rick Moody · ss Esquire Jul 95
- 233 · Because of Dust · Chris Kenworthy · ss The Third Alternative #7 95
- 243 · Loop · Douglas E. Winter · nv Dark Love, ed. Nancy Collins, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Penguin/Roc, 1995
- 256 · La Loma, La Luna · Sue Kepros Hartman · ss High Fantastic, ed. Steve Rasnic Tem, Ocean View Books, 1995
- 270 · Womens Stories · Jane Yolen · pm Sisters in Fantasy, ed. Susan Shwartz & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1995
- 272 · Swan/Princess · Jane Yolen · pm Xanadu 3, ed. Jane Yolen, Tor, 1995
- 273 · Switch · Lucy Taylor · ss David Copperfields Tales of the Impossible, ed. David Copperfield, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 285 · Scaring the Train · Terry Dowling · nv The Man Who Lost Red, MirrorDanse Books, 1994
- 308 · Blood Knot · Steve Rasnic Tem · ss Forbidden Acts, ed. Nancy A. Collins, Edward E. Kramer & Martin H. Greenberg, Avon, 1995
- 313 · The Girl Who Married the Reindeer · Eiléan ní Chuilleanáin · pm The Southern Review Fll 95
- 315 · The Otter Woman · Mary OMalley · pm The Southern Review Fll 95
- 317 · Resolve and Resistance · S. N. Dyer · ss Omni Apr 95
- 332 · La Dame · Tanith Lee · ss Sisters of the Night, ed. Barbara Hambly & Martin H. Greenberg, Warner Aspect, 1995
- 341 · Circes Power · Louise Gluck · pm New Yorker
- 343 · Dragons Fin Soup · S. P. Somtow · nv The Ultimate Dragon, ed. Byron Preiss & John Betancourt & Keith R. A. DeCandido, Dell/DTP, 1995
- 362 · The Granddaughter · Vivian Vande Velde · ss Tales From the Brothers Grimm and the Sisters Weird, Harcourt Brace, 1995
- 367 · Daphne and Laura and So Forth · Margaret Atwood · pm Morning in the Burned House, Houghton Mifflin, 1995
- 369 · A Lamia in the Cévennes · A. S. Byatt · ss Atlantic Monthly Jul 95
- 380 · The Guilty Party · Susan Moody · ss No Alibi, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Ringpull Press, 1995
- 387 · Shes Not There · Pat Cadigan · nv Killing Me Softly, ed. Gardner Dozois, HarperPrism, 1995
- 404 · The White Road · Neil Gaiman · pm Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Morrow AvoNova, 1995
- 413 · Refrigerator Heaven · David J. Schow · ss Dark Love, ed. Nancy Collins, Martin H. Greenberg & Edward E. Kramer, Penguin/Roc, 1995
- 422 · After the Elephant Ballet [Cedar Hill] · Gary A. Braunbeck · nv Heaven Sent, ed. Peter Crowther & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1995
- 440 · Henry V, Part 2 · Marcia Guthridge · ss The Paris Review Fll 95
- 455 · Mrs. Greasy · Robert Reed · nv Tomorrow Dec 95
- 473 · ############## · Joyce Carol Oates · ss Fear Itself, ed. Jeff Gelb, Warner, 1995
- 485 · The Printers Daughter · Delia Sherman · nv Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Morrow AvoNova, 1995
- 500 · Prayer · Nancy Willard · pm Among Angels, Harcourt Brace, 1995
- 501 · Jacob and the Angel · Jane Yolen · pm Among Angels, Harcourt Brace, 1995
- 502 · The Lion and the Lark · Patricia A. McKillip · ss The Armless Maiden, ed. Terri Windling, Tor, 1995
- 517 · Honorable Mentions: 1995 · Misc. · bi
The Incredible Hulk: What Savage Beast Peter David (Boulevard 1-57297-135-5, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 390pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Boulevard 1995) novelization based on the comic book character. Packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia; copyrighted by Marvel Entertainment Group.
Hair of the Dog Brett Davis (Baen 0-671-87762-3, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $5.99, 279pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Humorous werewolf novel.
H.P. Lovecraft L. Sprague de Camp (Barnes & Noble 1-56619-994-8, Jan 96 [Feb 96], $9.98, 510pp, hc) Reprint (Doubleday 1975) non-fiction biography. [H. P. Lovecraft]
Lest Darkness Fall L. Sprague de Camp (SFBC #13556, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $7.98, 182pp, hc, cover by Ron Walotsky) Reprint (Holt 1941) classic SF time-travel novel. This edition says Ballantine Books on the jacket and title page; it has no price or ISBN, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Reluctant King L. Sprague de Camp (Baen 0-671-87746-1, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $6.99, 681pp, pb, cover by Ken Tunnell) [Reluctant King] Reprint (SFBC 1985) omnibus of the three Jorian fantasy novels: The Goblin Tower (1968), The Clocks of Iraz (1971), and The Unbeheaded King (1983).
Time & Chance L. Sprague de Camp (Donald M. Grant 1-880418-32-0, Aug 96, $35.00, 444pp, hc, cover by Kelly Freas) Non-fiction autobiography, with 24 unpaginated pages of photos. Order from Donald M. Grant, PO Box 187, Hampton Falls, NH 03844.
Lest Darkness Fall/To Bring the Light L. Sprague de Camp & David Drake (Baen 0-671-87736-4, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 336pp, pb, cover by Ken Tunnell) Omnibus of de Camps 1939 alternate-history classic, with Drakes original novella on the same theme. There is an introduction by Harry Turtledove.
The Orphans Tent Tom De Haven (Simon & Schuster/Atheneum 0-689-31967-3, Sep 96 [Nov 96], $18.00, 188pp, hc, cover by Christopher H. Bing) Young-adult fantasy novel. Friends search for a missing rock singer and find a supernatural riddle from the past. Illustrated by Christopher H. Bing. Packaged and copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications with separate copyrights by the author and artist.
The Ivory and the Horn Charles de Lint (Tor 0-812-53408-5, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Terri Windling) [Newford] Reprint (Tor 1995) collection of 15 urban fantasy stories.
The Return Joe de Mers (Penguin Onyx 0-451-40729-6, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $6.99, 448pp, pb) Reprint (Dutton 1996) thriller. Christ has risen. Copyrighted by Sea Biscuit Pty Ltd.
The White Goblin Ul de Rico (Thames and Hudson 0-500-01724-7, Oct 96, $19.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Ul de Rico) [Rainbow Goblins] Childrens picture book, sequel to The Rainbow Goblins. Translated from the German by Stanley Baron, but no earlier edition is listed.
Ravennetus J. David Dean (Pandea Publications 0-9646604-4-X, 1996 [Dec 96], $21.95, 379pp, hc) [Twelve Pearls] Fantasy novel. The key to world domination is hidden in a boy unaware of either his powers or the secret he holds. Order from Pandea Publications, PO Box 260975, Highlands Ranch CO 80163-0975.
Castle Falkenstein: From Prussia with Love John DeChancie (Prima/Proteus 1-55958-772-5, Jan 96, $5.99, 261pp, pb) Novelization based on the Victorian, alternate-history, fantasy role-playing game. Copyrighted by Prima Publishing, with portions copyrighted by R. Talsorian Games.
Castle Falkenstein: Masterminds of Falkenstein John DeChancie (Prima/Proteus 0-7615-0484-2, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 285pp, pb) Novelization based on the alternate-history role-playing game. Second in the series. Copyrighted by Prima Publishing, with portions copyrighted by R. Talsorian Games.
Innerverse John DeChancie (AvoNova 0-380-78108-5, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 249pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) Near-future SF novel. The Eastern third of the US becomes a nightmare of nanotech-enforced normalcy.
Castle Fantastic ed. John DeChancie & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-88677-686-4, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $5.99, 315pp, pb, cover by John Howe) Original anthology of 16 stories, most fantasy, about castles, including an Amber story by Roger Zelazny. There is an introduction by DeChancie.
Beauty of the Stars Sydney G. DeFraites, III (JK Books 0-9640160-1-X, 1994 [Jun 96], $5.95, 321pp, pb) [Stareagle Adventures] SF novel, second in the Stareagle Adventures series. This has a 1994 copyright date, but was not seen until now. Available from Mary Bourgeois, JK Books, PO Box 235, Clermont Harbor, MS 39558; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Errands of Mercy Sydney G. DeFraites, III (JK Books 0-9640160-2-8, 1995 [Jun 96], $5.95, 325pp, pb) [Stareagle Adventures] SF novel, third in the Stareagle Adventures series. This has a 1995 copyright date, but was not seen until now. Available from Mary Bourgeois, JK Books, PO Box 235, Clermont Harbor, MS 39558; e-mail: email@example.com
First Love Sydney G. DeFraites, III (JK Books 0-9640160-3-6, Feb 96 [Jun 96], $5.95, 332pp, pb) [Stareagle Adventures] SF novel, fourth in the Stareagle Adventures series. Available from Mary Bourgeois, JK Books, PO Box 235, Clermont Harbor, MS 39558; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Above the Lower Sky Tom Deitz (AvoNova 0-380-77483-6, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $5.99, 456pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [Above the Lower Sky] Reprint (Morrow AvoNova 1994) SF fantasy novel about Celts, cetaceans, and shapechanging killers in a near-future Mexico.
Demons in the Green Tom Deitz (AvoNova 0-380-78271-5, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 402pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [Above the Lower Sky] Fantasy novel, sequel to Above the Lower Sky. A holy mans death draws world leaders to the city of Aztlan, where otherworldly beings plot revenge against humanity.
Dreamseekers Road Tom Deitz (AvoNova 0-380-77484-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 356pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [David Sullivan] Reprint (Morrow AvoNova 1995) fantasy novel in the David Sullivan series.
Hogg Samuel Delany (Black Ice Books 1-57366-011-6, Mar 96, $11.95, 219pp, tp) Reprint (Black Ice 1995) associational pornographic novel.
Dhalgren Samuel R. Delany (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6299-8, Jul 96 [May 96], $17.95, 801pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam 1975) classic SF novel. There is a foreword by William Gibson. A limited hardcover slipcased edition signed by Delany & Gibson was also announced ($125.00). Available from University Press of New England, 23 South Main St, Hanover NH 03755; for ordering information on the special edition, email: email@example.com
Longer Views Samuel R. Delany (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6293-9, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $22.00, 342pp, tp) Non-fiction, criticism. A collection of six Expanded Essays (one as an appendix) mostly not directly about SF, three previously unpublished. There is a preface by Delany and an introduction by Kenneth James. A hardcover edition (-5281-X, $50.00) was announced but not seen. Order from University Press of New England, 23 South Main St., Hanover NH 03755.
The Mad Man Samuel R. Delany (Masquerade/Rhinoceros 1-56333-408-9, Apr 96, $8.99, 564pp, tp) Associational psychological thriller. A previous Masquerade trade paperback edition (-194-2) appeared in the UK only.
They Fly at Çiron Samuel R. Delany (Tor 0-812-54317-3, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $6.99, 243pp, pb, cover by Thomas Canty) Reprint (Incunabula 1993) fantasy adventure novel of a civilized societys conflict with warlike invaders.
Trouble on Triton Samuel R. Delany (University Press of New England/Wesleyan 0-8195-6298-X, Jul 96 [May 96], $14.95, 312pp, tp) Reprint (Bantam 1976 as Triton) SF novel. There is a new foreword by Kathy Acker. Available from University Press of New England, 23 South Main St, Hanover NH 03755.
The Frozen Horror Ken Delo (University Editions 1-56002-619-7, May 96 [Jul 96], $5.95, 143pp, tp, cover by Mark Grosskopf) SF horror novel. Attemps at revivication release cryogenically frozen dead to attack Los Angeles. A first novel. Available from University Editions, 59 Oak Lane, Spring Valley, Huntington WV 25704.
Spider-Man: Midnight Justice [by Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald] Martin Delrio (Pocket 0-671-56851-5, Apr 96 [May 96], $4.99, 140pp, pb, cover by Mike Zeck & Phil Zimelman) [Spider-Man] Young-adult novelization based on the comic-book character. Copyrighted by Marvel Characters Inc.; packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia.
Spider-Man: Global War [by Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald] Martin Delrio (Pocket 0-671-00799-8, Apr 96, $4.99, pb, cover by Steven Geiger & John Nyberg) [Spider-Man] Young-adult novelization based on the comic-book character. Copyrighted by Marvel Characters Inc.; packaged by Byron Preiss Multimedia.