Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Forgotten Realms: The Veiled Dragon Troy Denning (TSR 0-7869-0482-8, Mar 96, $5.99, 311pp, tp, cover by Nick Jainschigg) [Forgotten Realms: Harpers] Fantasy novelization based on the role-playing game, twelfth in The Harpers series. Copyrighted by TSR.
Planescape: Pages of Pain Troy Denning (TSR 0-7869-0508-5, Sep 96, $19.99, 309pp, hc, cover by Robh Ruppel) [Planescape] Novelization based on the role-playing games. Copyrighted by TSR.
Lunatics Bradley Denton (St. Martins 0-312-14363-X, Jun 96 [May 96], $23.95, 325pp, hc, cover by Maurice Vellekoop) Wry, humorous fantasy novel. The goddess of the moon falls in love with a guy named Jack in Austin, Texas.
The Mask of Cthulhu August Derleth (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0337-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $4.95, 201pp, pb) Reprint (Arkham House 1958) collection of six Lovecraftian stories.
The Trail of Cthulhu August Derleth (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0341-5, Jun 96 [May 96], $4.95, 248pp, pb) [Laban Shrewsbury] Reprint (Arkham House 1962) collection of five Lovecraftian stories.
The Horror in the Museum and Other Revisions ed. August Derleth (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0387-3, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $4.95, 245pp, pb) Reprint (Arkham House 1944) collection of 10 Lovecraftian stories, two collaborations with Lovecraft, the rest by other authors, though the cover credits Lovecraft as the sole author; the title page credits Lovecraft and Others. Derleth is mentioned only on the copyright page. This has the same text as the 1970 Beagle Boxer edition, which reprinted half of the 1944 Arkham House collection.
Eggheads Emily Devenport (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45517-7, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $5.99, 323pp, pb, cover by Donato) [Eggheads] SF novel. A poor woman hopes to make her fortune prospecting in the ruins of the long-vanished alien Earlies.
Walking Wounded Robert Devereaux (Dell 0-440-21794-6, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.50, 273pp, pb) Horror novel. A woman with the healing touch has tough choices to make and a serial killer stalking her.
Stargate Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich (Penguin/Signet 0-451-18410-6, Dec 95 [Dec 96], $4.99, 269pp, pb) Reissue (Signet 1994) novelization of the SF movie. Fourth printing.
Independence Day Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich & Steve Molstad (HarperPrism 0-06-105687-1, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.99, 280pp, hc) [Independence Day] SF novelization, a tie-in to the movie about alien invaders. Also announced in digest size, hc (-105255-8, $28.00), and a signed, limited hardcover edition. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.
Ravenloft: King of the Dead Gene DeWeese (TSR 0-7869-0483-6, Mar 96, $5.99, 315pp, tp, cover by Danilo Gonzalez) Horror novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
Ribofunk Paul Di Filippo (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-062-2, Apr 96 [Mar 96], $20.00, 295pp, hc, cover by Christine Francis) Collection of 13 linked stories, two previously unpublished, dealing with possible developments in biology and genetic engineering.
- 1 · One Night in Television City · ss Universe 1, ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber, Doubleday Foundation, 1990
- 21 · Little Worker · ss F&SF Dec 89
- 43 · Cockfight · nv Journal Wired Spr 90
- 69 · Big Eater · ss Interzone Jun 95
- 97 · The Boot · ss F&SF Dec 90
- 119 · Blankie · nv *
- 143 · The Bad Splice · nv *
- 171 · McGregor · ss Universe 3, ed. Robert Silverberg & Karen Haber, Bantam Spectra, 1994
- 191 · Brain Wars · ss New Worlds 2, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1992
- 211 · Streetlife · ss New Worlds 3, ed. David S. Garnett, London: Gollancz, 1993
- 231 · Afterschool Special · ss Amazing Jun 93
- 255 · Up the Lazy River · ss Science Fiction Age Sep 93
- 275 · Distributed Mind · ss Interzone Apr 95
Deal with the Devil Robert DiChiara (Tor/Forge 0-312-51698-2, Dec 96, $6.99, 394pp, pb) Reprint (Forge 1989) dark fantasy hard-boiled detective novel. A police officer will do anything to solve his fathers 40-year-old murder.
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K. Dick (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40447-5, Jun 96 [May 96], $11.00, 244pp, tp, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reissue (Doubleday 1968) classic SF novel, basis of the film Blade Runner. There is an introduction by Roger Zelazny.
The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick Philip K. Dick (Vintage 0-679-74787-7, Feb 96 [Jan 96], $13.00, 350pp, tp) Reprint (Pantheon 1995) collection of Dicks non-fiction, including essays, speeches, journals, and interviews. Edited and with an introduction by Lawrence Sutin.
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens (Morrow/Books of Wonder 0-688-13606-0, Sep 96, $18.00, 56pp, hc, cover by Carter Goodrich) [Christmas Carol] Reprint novelette version of the classic Christmas ghost story, as edited by Dickens himself for public readings. The afterword by Peter Glassman describes how this edition was transcribed from Dickens own prompt copy. Illustrated in full color by Carter Goodrich.
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens (MCE Publishing 1-888957-00-X, Sep 96 [Nov 96], $19.95, 176pp, hc, cover by Gustave Doré) [Christmas Carol] Reprint (1843) classic Christmas ghost story/novella, with an emphasis on the art. This new edition has 45 lost engravings by Gustave Doré, plus 150 other Victorian illustrations by Doré and various artists. Introductions by editor Dan Malan give a historical/bibliographical overview of Dickens, his illustrators, and Doré, whose lost illustrations come from a French magazine; others from his 1872 folio London, a Pilgrimage are also included.
Victorian Ghosts in the Noontide: Women Writers and the Supernatural Vanessa D. Dickerson (University of Missouri Press 0-8262-1081-3, Nov 96 [Dec 96], $34.95, 166pp, hc) Non-fiction; an examination of womens changing roles in the face of technological advance in the Victorian period, an analysis of womens spirituality in a materialistic age as reflected in supernatural fiction. Available from the University of Missouri Press, 2910 LeMone Blvd, Columbia MO 65201; 800-828-1894.
Chuck and Danielle Peter Dickinson (Delacorte 0-385-32118-0, Mar 96 [Feb 96], $14.95, 115pp, hc, cover by Kees de Kiefte) Associational young-adult collection of seven connected stories about a girl and her cowardly dog, who tries to become a hero. Illustrated by Kees de Kiefte.
- 1 · Chuck Saves the Universe · ss *
- 14 · Chuck Versus Thumper · ss *
- 29 · Chuck and the Thundering Herd · ss *
- 49 · Chuck Holds the Fort · ss *
- 61 · Chuck and the Hard Rock · ss *
- 75 · Chuck at the Show · ss *
- 101 · Chuck Sees a Ghost · ss *
The Dragon and the Djinn Gordon R. Dickson (SFBC #11033, Feb 96, $10.98, 282pp, hc, cover by Den Beauvais) [Dragon Knight] Reprint (Ace 1996) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Ace edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Final Encyclopedia, Volume 1 Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-312-86288-1, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $25.95, 349pp, hc, cover by Michael Whelan) [Childe Cycle] Reprint (Tor 1984) of the first half of the SF novel in the Childe saga. Also available as an Orb trade paperback (-86186-9, $16.95).
The Magnificent Wilf Gordon R. Dickson (Baen 0-671-87719-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 292pp, pb, cover by Ruth Sanderson) Reprint (Baen 1995) humorous SF novel.
Where the Ships Die William C. Dietz (Ace 0-441-00354-0, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 277pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Military SF novel. Humans and aliens race to find a wormhole.
Star Trek: First Contact J. M. Dillard (Pocket 0-671-00316-X, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $21.00, 276pp, hc) [Star Trek] Movie novelization. There are eight unpaginated pages of color stills, and an article on the making of the movie by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Possession J. M. Dillard & Kathleen OMalley (Pocket 0-671-86485-8, May 96 [Apr 96], $5.99, 288pp, pb) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount.
The Castle of Indolence: Poetry and Its Pretenders Thomas M. Disch (St. Martins/Picador 0-312-14559-4, Oct 96, $12.00, 229pp, tp) Reprint (St. Martins/Picador 1995) non-fiction. Associational collection of essays on poetry, poets, and poetasters.
Anarchist Farm Jane Doe (III Publishing 1-886625-01-8, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $10.00, 190pp, tp, cover by Lynne Margulies) [Animal Farm] Fantasy novel, a more upbeat version of Orwells Animal Farm, in which farm and woodland creatures discover they can work together to save farm and forest. Available from III Publishing, PO Box 1581, Gualala CA 95445. Phone/Fax 707-884-1818.
The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die Stephen R. Donaldson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-07180-7, May 96 [Apr 96], $22.95, 564pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Gap] SF novel, the final volume in the Gap saga. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1996).
The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die Stephen R. Donaldson (SFBC #11537, May 96 [Apr 96], $11.98, 635pp, hc, cover by Paul Youll) [Gap] SF novel, the last volume in the Gap series. Simultaneous with and similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except this lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket. First US edition (HarperCollins UK 1996).
The Rising James Doohan & S. M. Stirling (Baen/Starline 0-671-87758-5, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $21.00, 377pp, pb, cover by David Mattingly) [Flight Engineer] Military SF novel. Volume One of The Flight Engineer series created by Star Treks Scotty. Packaged and copyrighted by Bill Fawcett and Associates.
Star Wars: The Art of Dave Dorman Dave Dorman (FPG 1-887569-37-5, Dec 96, $24.95, 128pp, tp, cover by Dave Dorman) [Star Wars] Art book. Order from FPG, 2539 Washington Rd, Bldg 1000, Pittsburgh PA 15241; 412-854-0200.
Black Wine Candas Jane Dorsey (Tor 0-312-86181-8, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $22.95, 285pp, hc) Feminist fantasy novel. Two women seek to escape the slavery of their barbarian land.
Cat in a Crimson Haze Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-812-54414-5, May 96 [Apr 96], $6.99, 408pp, pb, cover by Joe DeVito) [Midnight Louie] Reprint (Forge 1995) associational mystery novel, fourth in the series partly narrated by the cat Midnight Louie.
Cat in a Diamond Dazzle Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-86085-4, May 96 [Apr 96], $24.95, 414pp, hc, cover by Joe De Vito) [Midnight Louie] Associational mystery novel, fifth in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat. A romance writers convention turns deadly.
Cat with an Emerald Eye Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-86228-8, Oct 96 [Sep 96], $24.95, 384pp, hc, cover by Joe DeVito) [Midnight Louie] Associational mystery novel, sixth in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
A Different Kind of Drummer John M. Douglas (University Editions 1-56002-607-3, May 96 [Jun 96], $8.00, 170pp, tp, cover by Marcell Ciola) Post-holocaust SF novel. A scavenger finds a junked android named Ringo, a former musician. University Editions, 59 Oak Lane, Spring Valley, Huntington WV 25704.
Glaice L. Warren Douglas (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45471-5, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.50, 285pp, pb) [Arbiter Tales] SF novel, third in the Arbiter Tales series. An ice world holds data the arbiter needs to maintain peace.
The Wells of Phyre L. Warren Douglas (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45470-7, Jul 96 [Jun 96], $5.50, 273pp, pb, cover by Mark Gerber) [Arbiter Tales] SF novel, An Arbiter Tale #2. On the desert planet Phyre, a genetically engineered human/kangaroo rat discovers new medicines that could have far-reaching effects.
Groogleman Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald (Harcourt Brace 0-15-200235-9, Sep 96, $15.00, 113pp, hc, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Young-adult post-holocaust SF novel. The strange grooglemen kidnap Dans cousin, and a mysterious stranger helps rescue her.
The Long Hunt Debra Doyle & James D. Macdonald (Tor 0-812-53496-4, Aug 96 [Jul 96], $5.99, 282pp, pb, cover by Romas Kukalis) [Mageworlds] Science fantasy novel, Mageworlds #5, set 20 years after the Second Magewar.
Killing Me Softly ed. Gardner Dozois (HarperPrism 0-06-105611-1, Sep 96 [Aug 96], $5.99, 420pp, pb) Reprint (HarperPrism 1995) anthology of Erotic Tales of Unearthly Love.
Modern Classics of Fantasy ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins 0-312-15173-X, Jan 97 [Dec 96], $35.00, 647pp, hc, cover by James Gurney) Anthology of 32 stories. Authors include Peter S. Beagle, Ursula K. Le Guin, John Crowley, and Terry Bisson. There is a list of recommended reading.
- xi · Introduction · Gardner Dozois · in
- 1 · Trouble with Water · Horace L. Gold · ss Unknown Mar 39
- 18 · The Gnarly Man · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Unknown Jun 39
- 38 · The Golem · Avram Davidson · ss F&SF Mar 55
- 44 · Walk Like a Mountain [John] · Manly Wade Wellman · ss F&SF Jun 55
- 58 · Extempore [The Beach Where Time Began] · Damon Knight · ss Infinity Science Fiction Aug 56
- 69 · Space-Time for Springers [Gummitch] · Fritz Leiber · ss Star Science Fiction Stories #4, ed. Frederik Pohl, Ballantine, 1958
- 80 · Scyllas Daughter [Fafhrd & Gray Mouser] · Fritz Leiber · na Fantastic May 61
- 131 · The Overworld [Cugel; Dying Earth] · Jack Vance · nv F&SF Dec 65
- 155 · The Signaller [Pavane] · Keith Roberts · nv Impulse Mar 66
- 182 · The Manor of Roses [John & Stephen] · Thomas Burnett Swann · na F&SF Nov 66
- 232 · Death and the Executioner [from Lord of Light] · Roger Zelazny · ex Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
- 266 · Configuration of the North Shore · R. A. Lafferty · ss Orbit 5, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnams, 1969
- 278 · Two Sadnesses · George Alec Effinger · ss Bad Moon Rising, ed. Thomas M. Disch, Harper & Row, 1973
- 291 · The Tale of Hauk · Poul Anderson · nv Swords Against Darkness #1, ed. Andrew J. Offutt, Zebra, 1977
- 309 · Manatee Gal Aint You Coming Out Tonight [Jack Limekiller] · Avram Davidson · nv F&SF Apr 77
- 339 · The Troll · T. H. White · ss Gone to Ground, 1935
- 349 · The Sleep of Trees · Jane Yolen · ss F&SF Sep 80
- 359 · Gods Hooks! · Howard Waldrop · ss Universe 12, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1982
- 377 · The Man Who Painted the Dragon Griaule [Griaule] · Lucius Shepard · nv F&SF Dec 84
- 401 · A Cabin on the Coast · Gene Wolfe · ss F&SF Feb 84; first published in German in Zu den Sternen ed. Peter Wilfert (Munich: Goldmann Verlag, 1981).
- 412 · Paper Dragons [Paper Dragons] · James P. Blaylock · nv Imaginary Lands, ed. Robin McKinley, Ace, 1985
- 427 · Into Gold · Tanith Lee · nv IASFM Mar 86
- 451 · Flowers of Edo · Bruce Sterling · nv IASFM May 87; first published in Japanese in Hayakawas Science Fiction Magazine.
- 472 · Buffalo Gals, Wont You Come Out Tonight · Ursula K. Le Guin · nv Buffalo Gals and Other Animal Presences, Capra Press, 1987
- 497 · A Gift of the People · Robert Sampson · ss Full Spectrum, ed. Lou Aronica & Shawna McCarthy, Bantam, 1988
- 513 · Missolonghi 1824 · John Crowley · ss IASFM Mar 90
- 522 · Bears Discover Fire · Terry Bisson · ss IASFM Aug 90
- 531 · Blunderbore · Esther M. Friesner · ss IASFM Sep 90
- 540 · Death and the Lady · Judith Tarr · nv After the King, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1992
- 569 · The Changelings Tale · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Jan 94
- 584 · Professor Gottesman and the Indian Rhinoceros · Peter S. Beagle · nv Peter S. Beagles Immortal Unicorn, ed. Peter S. Beagle, Janet Berliner & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1995
- 602 · Beauty and the Opéra or the Phantom Beast · Suzy McKee Charnas · nv Asimovs Mar 96
- 643 · Recommended Reading · Misc. · bi
The Years Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins 0-312-14452-0, Jun 96 [May 96], $17.95, 592pp, tp, cover by Bob Eggleton) Best-of-the-Year anthology of 24 stories, with a summation of the year by Dozois. A hardcover edition (-14451-2, $27.95) was announced but not seen.
- ix · Summation: 1995 · Gardner Dozois · ar
- 1 · A Womans Liberation [Werel & Yeowe] · Ursula K. Le Guin · na Asimovs Jul 95
- 43 · Starship Day · Ian R. MacLeod · nv Asimovs Jul 95
- 57 · A Place with Shade · Robert Reed · nv F&SF Apr 95
- 84 · Luminous [Luminous] · Greg Egan · nv Asimovs Sep 95
- 109 · The Promise of God · Michael F. Flynn · ss F&SF Mar 95
- 121 · Death in the Promised Land · Pat Cadigan · na Omni Online Mar 95
- 164 · For White Hill · Joe Haldeman · na Far Futures, ed. Gregory Benford, 1995, 1995
- 195 · Some Like It Cold [Hollywood] · John Kessel · ss Omni Fll 95
- 205 · The Death of Captain Future [Captain Future; Near Space] · Allen Steele · na Asimovs Oct 95
- 237 · The Lincoln Train · Maureen F. McHugh · ss F&SF Apr 95
- 247 · We Were Out of Our Minds with Joy [North American future] · David Marusek · na Asimovs Nov 95
- 287 · Radio Waves · Michael Swanwick · nv Omni Win 95
- 303 · Wangs Carpets · Greg Egan · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 327 · Casting at Pegasus · Mary Rosenblum · nv Asimovs Apr 95
- 348 · Looking for Kelly Dahl · Dan Simmons · nv Omni Online Sep 95
- 380 · Think Like a Dinosaur · James Patrick Kelly · nv Asimovs Jun 95
- 395 · Coming of Age in Karhide by Sov Thade Tage em Ereb, of Rer, in Karhide, on Gethen [Gethen] · Ursula K. Le Guin · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 409 · Genesis · Poul Anderson · na Far Futures, ed. Gregory Benford, 1995, 1995
- 483 · Feigenbaum Number · Nancy Kress · ss Omni Win 95
- 495 · Home · Geoff Ryman · ss Interzone Mar 95
- 500 · There Are No Dead · Terry Bisson · ss Omni Jan 95
- 506 · Recording Angel · Paul J. McAuley · nv New Legends, ed. Greg Bear & Martin H. Greenberg, Legend, 1995
- 527 · Elvis Bearpaws Luck · William Sanders · nv Wheel of Fortune, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 542 · Mortimer Grays History of Death · Brian Stableford · na Asimovs Apr 95
- 587 · Honorable Mentions 1995 · Misc. · bi
The Years Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (SFBC #13595, Sep 96, $14.98, 704pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Reprint (St. Martins 1996) Best-of-the-Year anthology. This is similar to the St. Martins edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Isaac Asimovs Vampires ed. Gardner Dozois & Sheila Williams (Ace 0-441-00387-7, Nov 96 [Oct 96], $5.50, 257pp, pb, cover by Den Beauvais) Anthology of eight vampire stories that originally appeared in Asimovs magazine. Authors include Tanith Lee, Connie Willis, and Pat Cadigan.
All the Way to the Gallows David Drake (Baen 0-671-87753-4, Dec 96 [Nov 96], $5.99, 293pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of eight humorous stories.
- 1 · Introduction · in
- 4 · Enchanted Bunny · na The Undesired Princess & The Enchanted Bunny, L. Sprague de Camp & David Drake, Baen, 1990
- 70 · The Noble Savages · na The Harriers Book Two: Blood and War, ed. Gordon R. Dickson, Baen, 1993
- 109 · Airborne All the Way! [Magic: The Gathering] · ss Magic: The Gathering: Tapestries, ed. Kathy Ice, HarperPrism, 1995
- 124 · Cannibal Plants from Heck · ss Alien Pregnant by Elvis, ed. Esther M. Friesner & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1994
- 144 · The Bond · ss Far Frontiers Vol. III, ed. Jerry Pournelle & Jim Baen, Baen, 1985
- 152 · Mom and the Kids [Fleet] · David Drake & Larry Niven · nv The Fleet Book 4: Sworn Allies, ed. David Drake & Bill Fawcett, Ace, 1990
- 188 · The Bullhead [Nathan] · nv Old Nathan, Baen, 1991
- 229 · A Very Offensive Weapon · na Forever After, ed. Roger Zelazny, Baen, 1995