Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Dorsai! Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-50398-8, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $5.99, 280pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Childe Cycle] Reissue (DAW 1976) SF novel in the Childe Cycle. This follows the 1975 text instead of the shortened one as The Genetic General (Ace 1960). It has the 1980 David Drake foreword. Third printing.
The Dragon and the Gnarly King Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-56270-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $6.99, 472pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Dragon Knight] Reprint (Tor 1997) fantasy novel in the Dragon and the George Series.
The Dragon in Lyonesse Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-312-86159-1, Oct 98, $25.95, 381pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Dragon Knight] Fantasy novel in the Dragon Knight series.
The Dragon in Lyonesse Gordon R. Dickson (SFBC #01996, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $12.98, 443pp, hc, cover by Julie Bell) [Dragon Knight] Reprint (Tor 1998) fantasy novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Dragon Knight Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-50943-9, May 98, $6.99, 503pp, pb, cover by Boris Vallejo) [Dragon Knight] Reissue (Tor 1990) fantasy novel, sequel to The Dragon and the George. Fourth printing.
Necromancer Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-54530-3, Sep 98 [Aug 98], $5.99, 212pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Childe Cycle] Reprint (Doubleday 1962) SF novel in the Childe Cycle.
Soldier, Ask Not Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-50400-3, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $5.99, 313pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Childe Cycle] Reissue (Dell 1967) SF novel in The Childe Cycle. Second printing.
Tactics of Mistake Gordon R. Dickson (Tor 0-812-54531-1, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 282pp, pb, cover by Luis Royo) [Childe Cycle] Reprint (Doubleday 1971) military SF novel in the Dorsai series.
Desmond Ulysses G. Dietz (Alyson 1-55583-470-1, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $13.95, 331pp, tp, cover by Johnathan Black) Gay vampire novel. A lonely vampire in New York finds a mortal who makes him remember and reassess his past. A first novel.
Star Wars: Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire William C. Dietz (Dark Horse Comics/Berkley Boulevard 0-425-16528-0, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $14.95, 127pp, tp, cover by Dean Williams) [Star Wars: Dark Forces] Reprint (Dark Horse Comics/Boulevard 1997) Star Wars novellazation, first in a trilogy based on the CD-ROM game based on the movies. This is a graphic story album color illustrations by Dean Williams. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm Ltd.
Steelheart William C. Dietz (Ace 0-441-00542-X, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 324pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) SF novel.
Star Wars: Dark Forces: Jedi Knight William C. Dietz & Dave Dorman (Dark Horse Comics/Boulevard Putnam 0-399-14452-8, Oct 98 [Nov 98], $24.95, 126pp, hc, cover by Dave Dorman) [Star Wars: Dark Forces] Star Wars novellazation, third in a trilogy based on the CD-ROM game based on the movies. This is a graphic story album with full-page, full-color illustrations by Dave Dorman. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Wars: Dark Forces: Rebel Agent William C. Dietz & George Lucas (Dark Horse Comics/Boulevard Putnam 0-399-14396-3, Apr 98 [May 98], $24.95, 128pp, hc, cover by Ezra Tucker) [Star Wars: Dark Forces] Star Wars novellazation, second in the series based on the CD-ROM game based on the movies. This is a graphic story album with 25 full-page, full-color illustrations by Ezra Tucker. Copyrighted by Lucasfilm.
Star Trek: Insurrection J. M. Dillard (Pocket 0-671-02447-7, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $22.00, 295pp, hc) [Star Trek] Star Trek novelization of the ninth movie. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
To Every Thing There is a Season Leo & Diane Dillon (Scholastic/Blue Sky 0-590-47887-7, Oct 98, $15.95, unpaginated, hc, cover by Leo & Diane Dillon) Associational art book based on the passage from Ecclesiastes in the Bible. The vivid illustrations show off the Dillons wide-ranging talent, with works done in the styles of 15 distinct cultures from around the world, including ancient Egypt and Greece, native North Americans, China, Japan, and Australian aborigines.
Seattle Ghost Story Nick DiMartino (Rosebriar Publishing 0-9653918-2-5, 1998 [Nov 98], $12.95, 226pp, tp, cover by Charles Nitti) Ghost story/thriller set in Seattle. Illustrated by Charles Nitti.
The Dreams Our Stuff is Made Of: How Science Fiction Conquered the World Thomas M. Disch (Simon & Schuster/The Free Press 0-684-82405-1, May 98 [Apr 98], $25.00, 256pp, hc) Non-fiction. A critical look at SFs impact on American culture. Includes notes and index.
The Mistress of Spices Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni (Doubleday/Anchor 0-385-48238-8, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $12.00, 338pp, tp, cover by Cathleen Toelke) Reprint (Anchor 1997) literary quasi-fantasy novel. Winner of the William Crawford Award for first fantasy novel.
Charlotte Perkins Gilmans The Yellow Wall-Paper and the History of Its Publication and Reception ed. Julie Bates Dock (Pennsylvania State University Press 0-271-01734-1, Apr 98, $16.95, 132pp, tp) Non-fiction, critical, additionally subtitled A Critical Edition and Documentary Casebook. Includes the story, a publication history, comparison of variant texts, Gilmans correspondence, and contemporary reviews. A hardcover edition (-01733-3, $35.00) was announced but not seen. Order from: Penn State University Press, 820 North University Dr, University Support Building 1, Suite C, University Park PA 16802-1003. [Charlotte Perkins Gilman]
Area 51: The Reply Robert Doherty (Dell 0-440-22378-4, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $5.99, 376pp, pb) [Area 51] SF thriller, sequel to Area 51. Aliens are coming to Earth.
Lord Fouls Bane Stephen R. Donaldson (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-34865-6, May 98, $3.99, 474pp, pb, cover by Michael Herring) [Thomas Covenant] Reissue (SFBC 1977) fantasy novel, first in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. This has the new Classic Fantasy shield on front cover and spine. 42nd printing.
Reave the Just and Other Tales Stephen R. Donaldson (Bantam Spectra 0-553-11034-9, Jan 99 [Dec 98], $23.95, 370pp, hc, cover by Gérald DiMaccio) Collection of eight stories, three original, with an introduction by Donaldson. First US edition (Voyager 10/98).
Babylon Gardens J. W. Donnelly (Dark Regions Press 1-888993-07-3, Jul 98, $5.95, 79pp, tp, cover by Donald W. Schank) Collection of 10 stories, primarily fantasy, illustrated by Donald W. Schank. Introduction by Jacie Ragan. This is a signed, limited edition of 250. Order from Dark Regions Press, PO Box 6301, Concord CA 94524; add $1.05 postage.
- 7 · Introduction to Selected Works of J.W. Donnelly · Jacie Ragan · in
- 9 · The Merchants Dream · ss Fantastic Realms Aug 92
- 17 · Purge · vi *
- 19 · The Scent of Prey · ss *
- 31 · And Will the Children Sing? · ss Pablo Lennis Oct 94
- 35 · Beams of Light · ss *
- 47 · Rest Stop · ss The Dragon Feb 91
- 57 · A Taxing Matter · ss Rare Constellations #2 93
- 63 · Peace of Mind · ss Vision #9 91
- 67 · Change of Seasons · vi Figment #14 93
- 71 · Crystal Visions · ss Star Tiger Jun 93
Prophets for the End of Time Marcos Donnelly (Baen 0-671-57775-1, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $5.99, 367pp, pb, cover by Stephen Hickman) Fantasy novel. Angels prepare for Armageddon, but their human prophets refuse to declare it.
Black Wine Candas Jane Dorsey (Tor 0-312-86578-3, Jan 98, $13.95, 285pp, tp) Reprint (Tor 1997) feminist fantasy novel. Winner of the 1997 Crawford Award for best first fantasy novel.
Cat in a Flamingo Fedora Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-812-56535-5, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $6.99, 373pp, pb, cover by Joe DeVito) [Midnight Louie] Reprint (Forge 1997) associational mystery novel, seventh in the Midnight Louie series.
Cat in a Golden Garland Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-812-53036-5, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.99, 406pp, pb) [Midnight Louie] Reprint (Forge 1997) associational mystery novel, eighth in the Midnight Louie series.
Cat on a Hyacinth Hunt Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-86634-8, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $23.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Joe DeVito) [Midnight Louie] Associational mystery novel, ninth in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat.
Catnap Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor 0-812-51682-6, Dec 98, $5.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Joe DeVito) [Midnight Louie] Reissue (Tor 1992) associational mystery novel, first in the Midnight Louie series partly narrated by a cat. Fifth printing.
Midnight Louies Pet Detectives ed. Carole Nelson Douglas (Tor/Forge 0-312-86435-3, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $23.95, 350pp, hc, cover by Joe DeVito) Associational original anthology of 17 animal mystery stories, one a reprint. Authors include Esther M. Friesner & Walter J. Stutzman, Ed Gorman, Bruce Holland Rogers, and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. Introduction by Lawrence Block. The editors introduction is by Douglass feline character, Midnight Louie, and approximately half the stories have animal narrators, or animals carrying on internal monologues.
Semper Mars Ian Douglas (Avon Eos 0-380-78828-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 376pp, pb) [Heritage] Military SF novel. Book one in the Heritage trilogy. Alien secrets are found on Mars. Douglas is a pen name for William H. Keith, Jr.
The Lost World Arthur Conan Doyle (Oxford University Press 0-19-283352-9, 1998 [Oct 98], $8.95, 199pp, tp) [Prof. Challenger] Reprint (Doran 1912) SF novel featuring Professor Challenger. This is an Oxford Worlds Classics edition, edited with introduction and notes by Ian Duncan.
The Lost World Arthur Conan Doyle (Dover 0-486-40060-3, Mar 98 [May 98], $1.50, 172pp, tp, cover by Jan Sovak) [Prof. Challenger] Reprint (Doran 1912) Professor Challenger SF novel in a thrift edition.
The Good Old Stuff ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins/Griffin 0-312-19275-4, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $17.95, 434pp, tp, cover by Ed Emshwiller) Anthology of 16 golden-age SF adventure stories. Authors include A.E. van Vogt, Cordwainer Smith, Ursula K. Le Guin, and James Tiptree, Jr. This includes a list of recommended reading.
- xv · Preface · Gardner Dozois · pr
- 1 · The Rull [Rulls] · A. E. van Vogt · nv Astounding May 48
- 27 · Second Night of Summer [Vegan Agents] · James H. Schmitz · ss Galaxy Dec 50
- 52 · The Galton Whistle [Ultrasonic God; Viagens Interplanetary] · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Future Jul 51
- 75 · The New Prime [Brain of the Galaxy] · Jack Vance · nv Worlds Beyond Feb 51
- 99 · That Share of Glory · C. M. Kornbluth · nv Astounding Jan 52
- 127 · The Last Days of Shandakor · Leigh Brackett · nv Startling Stories Apr 52
- 155 · Exploration Team [Colonial Survey] · Murray Leinster · nv Astounding Mar 56
- 196 · The Sky People · Poul Anderson · nv F&SF Mar 59
- 235 · The Man in the Mailbag · Gordon R. Dickson · nv Galaxy Apr 59
- 261 · Mother Hittons Littul Kittons · Cordwainer Smith · nv Galaxy Jun 61
- 282 · A Kind of Artistry · Brian W. Aldiss · nv F&SF Oct 62
- 304 · Gunpowder God [Kalvan; Paratime Police] · H. Beam Piper · na Analog Nov 64
- 346 · Semleys Necklace [The Dowry of Angyar] · Ursula K. Le Guin · ss Amazing Sep 64
- 364 · Moon Duel · Fritz Leiber · ss If Sep 65
- 375 · The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth · Roger Zelazny · nv F&SF Mar 65
- 406 · Mother in the Sky with Diamonds · James Tiptree, Jr. · nv Galaxy Mar 71
- 431 · Recommended Reading · Misc. · ms
The Years Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (St. Martins 0-312-19033-6, Jun 98, $17.95, 623pp, tp, cover by John Foster) Best-of-the-Year anthology of 28 stories, with a summation of the year by Dozois. A hardcover edition (-18779-3, $29.95) is also available.
- xi · Summation: 1997 · Gardner Dozois · ar
- 1 · Beauty in the Night · Robert Silverberg · nv Science Fiction Age Sep 97
- 30 · Second Skin · Paul J. McAuley · nv Asimovs Apr 97
- 49 · Steamship Soldier on the Information Front · Nancy Kress · nv Future Histories, ed. Stephen McClelland, Horizon House (UK), 1997
- 69 · Reasons to Be Cheerful · Greg Egan · nv Interzone Apr 97
- 95 · Moon Six · Stephen Baxter · nv Science Fiction Age Mar 97
- 122 · We Will Drink a Fish Together · Bill Johnson · nv Asimovs May 97
- 155 · Escape Route [Nights Dawn] · Peter F. Hamilton · na Interzone Jul 97
- 197 · Itsy Bitsy Spider · James Patrick Kelly · ss Asimovs Jun 97
- 207 · A Spy in Europa [Conjoiner] · Alastair Reynolds · ss Interzone Jun 97
- 224 · The Undiscovered · William Sanders · nv Asimovs Mar 97
- 245 · Echoes · Alan Brennert · nv F&SF May 97
- 267 · Getting to Know You · David Marusek · nv Future Histories, ed. Stephen McClelland, Horizon House (UK), 1997
- 288 · Balinese Dancer · Gwyneth Jones · nv Asimovs Sep 97
- 306 · Marrow [Great Ship] · Robert Reed · ss Science Fiction Age Jul 97
- 348 · Heart of Whitenesse · Howard Waldrop · nv New Worlds #222 97
- 364 · The Wisdom of Old Earth · Michael Swanwick · ss Asimovs Dec 97
- 373 · The Pipes of Pan · Brian Stableford · nv F&SF Jun 97
- 391 · Crossing Chao Meng Fu · G. David Nordley · nv Analog Dec 97; A prequel to Into the Miranda Rift (1993).
- 418 · Yeyuka · Greg Egan · ss Meanjin v56 #1 97
- 432 · Frost Painting · Carolyn Ives Gilman · nv Bending the Landscape: Fantasy, ed. Nicola Griffith & Steve Pagel, White Wolf, 1997
- 447 · Lethe [Dr. Davout] · Walter Jon Williams · nv Asimovs Sep 97
- 474 · Winter Fire · Geoffrey A. Landis · ss Asimovs Aug 97
- 488 · Nevermore · Ian R. MacLeod · nv Dying for It, ed. Gardner R. Dozois, HarperPrism, 1997
- 505 · Open Veins · Simon Ings · ss Omni Online Apr 97
- 520 · After Kerry · Ian McDonald · nv Asimovs Mar 97
- 543 · The Masque of Agamemnon · Sean Williams & Simon Brown · nv Eidolon: SF Online Dec 97
- 565 · Gulliver at Home · John Kessel · ss The Pure Product, Tor, 1997
- 576 · A Cold, Dry Cradle · Gregory Benford & Elisabeth Malartre · nv Science Fiction Age Nov 97
- 617 · Honourable Mentions 1997 · Misc. · bi
The Years Best Science Fiction: Fifteenth Annual Collection ed. Gardner Dozois (SFBC #18485, Aug 98, $14.98, 623pp, hc, cover by John Foster) Reprint (St. Martins 1998) best-of-the-year anthology. This is similar to the St. Martins hardcover edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Roads Not Taken: Tales of Alternate History ed. Gardner Dozois & Stanley Schmidt (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-42194-9, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $6.99, 322pp, pb) Anthology of ten stories of alternate history, all previously published in Asimovs or Analog. Introduction by Shelly Shapiro. Copyrighted by Penny Marketing Limited Partnership.
- xi · What Is Alternate History? · Shelly Shapiro · in
- 1 · Must and Shall · Harry Turtledove · nv Asimovs Nov 95
- 44 · An Outpost of the Empire · Robert Silverberg · ss IASFM Nov 91
- 71 · We Could Do Worse · Gregory Benford · ss Cheap Street; New Castle, VA, 1988
- 80 · Over There [Teddy Roosevelt] · Mike Resnick · nv IASFM Sep 91
- 112 · Ink from the New Moon · A. A. Attanasio · ss What Might Have Been? Volume IV: Alternate Americas, ed. Gregory Benford & Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 130 · Southpaw · Bruce McAllister · ss Asimovs Aug 93
- 147 · The West Is Red · Greg Costikyan · nv Asimovs May 94
- 181 · The Forest of Time · Michael F. Flynn · na Analog Jun 87
- 251 · Aristotle and the Gun · L. Sprague de Camp · nv Astounding Feb 58
- 299 · How I Lost the Second World War and Helped Turn Back the German Invasion · Gene Wolfe · ss Analog May 73
Isaac Asimovs Camelot ed. Gardner Dozois & Sheila Williams (Ace 0-441-00527-6, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 241pp, pb, cover by Edward Burne-Jones) Anthology of ten stories that originally appeared in Asimovs magazine. Authors include Roger Zelazny, Esther M. Friesner, and Michael Swanwick.
Isaac Asimovs Detectives ed. Gardner Dozois & Sheila Williams (Ace 0-441-00545-4, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 243pp, pb, cover by Andy Lackow) Anthology of six SF detective stories that originally appeared in Asimovs magazine.
The Butchers Bill David Drake (Baen 0-671-57773-5, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $6.99, 409pp, pb, cover by Charles Keegan) [Hammers Slammers] Collection/omnibus of eight military SF stories, one original, featuring Hammers Slammers. Five of the stories appeared in the collection Hammers Slammers (1979, 1987), and At Any Price appeared as a separate novel in 1985.
- 1 · Becoming a Professional Writer by Way of Southeast Asia · in *
- 5 · But Loyal to His Own · nv Galaxy Oct 75
- 32 · At Any Price · n. New York: Baen, 1985
- 175 · The Butchers Bill · nv Galaxy Nov 74
- 198 · Hangman · na Hammers Slammers, Ace, 1979
- 258 · The Irresistible Force · na *
- 306 · Cultural Conflict · nv Destinies Jan 79
- 324 · Liberty Port · na Free Lancers, ed. Elizabeth Mitchell, Baen, 1987
- 393 · Standing Down · nv Hammers Slammers, Ace, 1979