Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 1984-1998
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Frankensteins and Foreign Devils Walter Jon Williams (NESFA Press 1-886778-03-5, Feb 98 [Aug 98], $23.00, 381pp, hc, cover by Omar Rayyan) Collection of ten stories, two previously unpublished, and two that first appeared as limited-edition chapbooks. There is an introduction by Gardner Dozois. Edited by Timothy P. Szczesuil. A limited edition of 1015; a signed, slipcased edition of 175 with special endpapers (-04-3, $33.00) is also available. Published in conjunction with Williamss Guest of Honor appearance at Boskone 36. NESFA Press, PO Box 809, Framingham MA 01701; add $2.00 postage.
- 9 · Introduction · Gardner Dozois · in
- 15 · Solip:System [Hardwired] · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1989
- 51 · Broadway Johnny · na Warriors of Blood and Dream, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 109 · Woundhealer · nv An Armory of Swords, ed. Fred Saberhagen, Tor, 1995
- 135 · Bat Twin · nv *
- 167 · Red Elvis · nv Alternate Outlaws, ed. Mike Resnick, Tor, 1994
- 185 · Prayers on the Wind · na When the Musics Over, ed. Lewis Shiner, Bantam Spectra, 1991
- 225 · Erogenoscape · nv IASFM Nov 91
- 263 · Foreign Devils · nv Asimovs Jan 96
- 289 · Bag Lady · nv *
- 311 · Wall, Stone, Craft · na Axolotl Press: Eugene, OR, 1993
The Crow: Clash by Night Chet Williamson (HarperPrism 0-06-105826-2, Jul 98 [Jun 98], $13.00, 335pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielson) [Crow] Novelization based on the movies about the comic-book character. Copyrighted by Edward R. Pressman Film Corporation.
Forgotten Realms: Murder In Cormyr Chet Williamson (TSR 0-7869-1173-5, Jul 98, $5.99, 248pp, tp, cover by Larry Elmore) [Forgotten Realms] Reprint (TSR 1996) fantasy-mystery novelization based on the role-playing game. Copyrighted by TSR.
The Searchers, Book Two: Empire of Dust Chet Williamson (Avon 0-380-79188-9, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $5.99, 338pp, pb) [Searchers] X-files-ish SF novel of psychic government operatives tracking unexplained phemomena. Second in the trilogy.
The Searchers: City of Iron Chet Williamson (Avon 0-380-79187-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 340pp, pb) [Searchers] Paranormal thriller in the X-Files mode. Book one in a series about psychic CIA agents investigating mysterious cases.
Bloodlines J. N. Williamson (Leisure 0-8439-4468-4, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $4.99, 310pp, pb) Reprint (Longmeadow Press 1994) vampire novel.
The Black Sun Jack Williamson (Tor 0-812-55362-4, May 98 [Apr 98], $5.99, 352pp, pb, cover by Ron Miller) Reprint (Tor 1997) near-future SF novel of human colonists trapped in a dead stars system.
The Fortress of Utopia Jack Williamson (Gryphon Books 0-936071-60-5, May 98 [Mar 98], $15.00, 156pp, tp, cover by Ron Turner) SF pulp novel originally published in Startling Stories in 1939, with a new introduction by Jack Williamson. An additional introductory piece by Philip Harbottle explains the books history, and why it was not previously published in book form. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
The Prince of Space/The Girl from Mars Jack Williamson (Gryphon Books 0-936071-96-6, Jun 98 [May 98], $10.00, 100pp, tp, cover by Alfred Klosterman) Double-format publication of two novellas, one a facsimile of the booklet The Girl from Mars (Stellar Publishing 1929) co-written by Dr. Miles J. Breuer (not credited on the cover). There are new introductions by Williamson to each story. Available from Gryphon Publications, PO Box 209, Brooklyn NY 11228-0209; add $1.00 postage.
- · Introduction · is
- · The Prince of Space · na Amazing Jan 31
- · Introduction · is
- · The Girl from Mars · Jack Williamson & Miles J. Breuer · nv Science Fiction Series #1 29
The Queen of the Legion Jack Williamson (Haffner Press, Sep 98 [Oct 98], $75.00, 362pp, hc, cover by Glenn Barr) [Legion of Space] Reprint (Timescape 1983) SF novel, fourth and final in the Legion of Space series. This is the first hardcover edition, a signed, limited edition of 300, designed to look the same as the Fantasy Press editions of the earlier books. Haffner Press, 5005 Crooks Rd, Suite 35, Royal Oak MI 48073-1239; add $4.50 postage.
Fire Watch Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-26045-6, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $6.50, 271pp, pb, cover by John Jude Palencar) Reissue (Bluejay 1985) collection of 12 stories, including the best of her earlier work.
To Say Nothing of the Dog Connie Willis (SFBC #18028, Mar 98, $11.98, 434pp, hc, cover by Eric Dinyer) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1998) humorous SF time-travel novel. This is similar to the Bantam Spectra edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket. A poster with new art by Eric Dinyer is shrink-wrapped with the book.
To Say Nothing of the Dog Connie Willis (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57538-4, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $6.50, 493pp, pb, cover by Eric Dinyer) Reprint (Bantam Spectra 1998) humorous time-travel novel.
Promised Land Connie Willis & Cynthia Felice (Ace 0-441-00543-8, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 362pp, pb, cover by David R. Darrow) Reprint (Ace 1997) SF romance novel.
The World of Darkness: To Dream of Dreamers Lost David Niall Wilson (White Wolf 1-56504-997-7, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $5.99, 325pp, pb, cover by William OConnor) [World of Darkness: Grails Covenant] Novelization based on the role-playing games. Third book in The Grails Covenant trilogy. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
The World of Darkness: To Speak in Lifeless Tongues David Niall Wilson (White Wolf 1-56504-996-9, Feb 98, $5.99, 339pp, pb) [World of Darkness: Grails Covenant] Novelization based on the role-playing games. Second book in The Grails Covenant trilogy. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade Diane Lee Wilson (Orchard US 0-531-30024-2, Apr 98 [Jul 98], $17.95, 232pp, hc, cover by Raúl Colón) Young-adult historical fantasy novel. A Mongol girl who can talk to her horse disguises herself as a boy and travels to the court of Kublai Khan.
The Barrens and Others F. Paul Wilson (Tor/Forge 0-312-86416-7, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $24.95, 379pp, hc) Collection of 12 horror stories, plus a stage adaptation and a teleplay, both previously unpublished. In story and section introductions, Wilson discusses his writing from 1987-1989.
- 11 · 1987 · si
- 13 · The Monroe Triptych · si
- 17 · Feelings · nv Night Visions 6, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 45 · Tenants · nv Night Visions 6, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 74 · Faces · nv Night Visions 6, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1988
- 101 · 1988 · si
- 106 · A Day in the Life · nv Stalkers, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 145 · 1989 · si
- 152 · The Tenth Toe · ss Razored Saddles, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Pat LoBrutto, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 170 · Slasher · ss Predators, ed. Ed Gorman & Martin H. Greenberg, Roc, 1993
- 189 · The Barrens · na Lovecrafts Legacy, ed. Robert Weinberg & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1990
- 245 · Definitive Therapy [Batman] · nv The Further Adventures of the Joker, ed. Martin H. Greenberg, Bantam, 1990
- 266 · Topsy · ss Dark Harvest Summer/Fall Preview: 1990, ed. Anon., Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1990
- 276 · Rockabilly [Dick Tracy] · ss Dick Tracy: The Secret Files, Max Allan Collins & Martin H. Greenberg, Tor, 1990
- 293 · Bob Dylan, Troy Jonson, and the Speed Queen · ss Shock Rock, ed. Jeff Gelb, Pocket, 1992
- 309 · Pelts · ss Round Top, NY: Footsteps Press, 1990
- 330 · Appendix · si
- 332 · Pelts (stage adaptation) · pl *
- 351 · Glim-Glim (teleplay) · pl *
Deep as the Marrow F. Paul Wilson (Tor 0-812-57198-3, Mar 98 [Feb 98], $6.99, 404pp, pb) Reprint (Headline 1996 as by Colin Andrews) associational medical/political thriller.
Legacies F. Paul Wilson (Tor/Forge 0-312-86414-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $24.95, 381pp, hc) [Repairman Jack] Associational non-supernatural horror novel, sequel to The Tomb. Repairman Jack discovers a powerful secret in a clients house. First American edition (Headline 1998).
The Tomb F. Paul Wilson (Tor 0-812-58037-0, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $6.99, 426pp, pb) [Repairman Jack] Reprint (Whispers Press/Berkley 1984) horror novel.
Masque F. Paul Wilson & Matthew J. Costello (Warner Aspect 0-446-51977-4, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $23.00, 342pp, hc, cover by Fred Gambino) Near-future SF thriller. A spy-clone with programable DNA can become anyone, but yearns for legal Selfhood.
The Cleft and Other Odd Tales Gahan Wilson (Tor 0-312-86574-0, Nov 98 [Oct 98], $23.95, 333pp, hc, cover by Gahan Wilson) Collection of 24 stories, one original, one (Campfire Story) without copyright information. Illustrated by the author.
- 11 · The Cleft · ss *
- 17 · Phyllis · ss Playboy Jun 62; Horror Trio, gp
- 23 · Leavings · ss Omni Apr 89
- 31 · * · ss Again, Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1972
- 47 · Sea Gulls · ss Masques #4, ed. J. N. Williamson, 1991
- 63 · The Casino Mirago · ss Wheel of Fortune, ed. Roger Zelazny & Martin H. Greenberg, AvoNova, 1995
- 85 · The Frog Prince · ss Snow White, Blood Red, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, AvoNova, 1993
- 95 · The Manuscript of Dr. Arness · ss Playboy Aug 66
- 105 · Hansel and Grettel · ss Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Morrow AvoNova, 1995
- 127 · The Sea Was Wet as Wet Could Be · ss Playboy May 67
- 145 · Mister Ice Cold · ss Omni Apr 90
- 153 · Traps · ss Dark Forces, ed. Kirby McCauley, Viking, 1980
- 163 · Yesterdays Witch · ss Witchcraft & Sorcery #9 73
- 175 · Them Bleaks · ss Psycho-Paths, ed. Robert Bloch, Tor, 1991
- 195 · The Marble Boy · ss After the Darkness, ed. Stanley Wiater, Baltimore, MD: Maclay & Associates, 1993
- 213 · End Game · ss Frights, ed. Kirby McCauley, St. Martins, 1976
- 221 · A Gift of the Gods · ss Playboy Oct 84
- 239 · It Twineth Round Thee in Thy Joy · ss OMNI Best Science Fiction Three, ed. Ellen Datlow, OMNI Books, 1993
- 253 · The Book · ss Playboy Jun 62; Horror Trio, gp
- 259 · M-1 · ss F&SF Feb 70
- 267 · Come One, Come All · ss Still Dead, ed. John M. Skipp & Craig Spector, Bantam, 1992
- 291 · Best Friends · ss Twists of the Tale, ed. Ellen Datlow, Dell, 1996
- 305 · Campfire Story · ss
- 311 · The Power of the Mandarin · ss F&SF Dec 67
Darwinia Robert Charles Wilson (Tor 0-312-86038-2, Jun 98 [May 98], $22.95, 320pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) SF novel of an alternate 20th century in which Europe has been replaced by Darwinia, a land of jungles and monsters.
Darwinia Robert Charles Wilson (SFBC #19168, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $10.98, 320pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Tor 1998) SF novel. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Pringle Progression Sheldon Wimpfen (American Literary Press 1-56167-413-3, Mar 98, $12.95, 184pp, tp) Near-future SF novel of genetic engineering and ecological disaster. A scientist changes human DNA to reduce consumption. Order from American Literary Press, 8019 Belair Rd, Suite 10, Baltimore MD 21236; credit card orders 800-873-2003.
The Essential Bordertown ed. Terri Windling & Delia Sherman (Tor 0-312-86593-7, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $24.95, 383pp, hc, cover by Jim Carroll) [Borderland] Original anthology of 13 stories, fourth in the Borderland shared world of humans and elves. Subtitled inside A Travellers Guide to the Edge of Faerie; Windling provides guidebook information between stories. Authors include Patricia A. McKilliip, Charles de Lint, and Steven Brust.
Chung Kuo Book Seven: Days of Bitter Strength David Wingrove (Dell 0-440-22565-5, Jul 98, $6.99, 695pp, pb, cover by Mark Harrison) [Chung Kuo] Reprint (NEL 1996) SF novel, seventh book of the series.
Waking Beauty Paul Witcover (HarperPrism 0-06-105338-4, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $14.00, 419pp, tp) Reprint (HarperPrism 1997) erotic fantasy novel.
Medea Christa Wolf (Doubleday/Talese 0-385-49060-7, Apr 98 [Mar 98], $22.95, 186pp, hc, cover by Gustave Moreau) Literary retelling of the classic myth as an allegory of political, religious, and sexual power struggles. This assumes Medea was innocent of the witchy horrors generally attributed to her; fantasy elements appear minimal. Introduction by Margaret Atwood. Translated by John Cullen from the German (Luchterhand 1996).
The Book of the New Sun Gene Wolfe (SFBC #18097, Aug 98 [Jul 98], $15.98, 950pp, hc, cover by Don Maitz) [Book of the New Sun] Omnibus of four novels: The Shadow of the Torturer (1980), The Claw of the Conciliator (1981), The Sword of the Lictor (1981), and The Citadel of the Autarch (1983). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 1-56865-807-9; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art.
- 1 · The Shadow of the Torturer · n. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1980
- 245 · The Claw of the Conciliator · n. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1981
- 479 · The Sword of the Lictor · n. New York: Timescape Books, 1981
- 711 · The Citadel of the Autarch · n. New York: Timescape Books, 1983
Lords of the Seventh Swarm Dave Wolverton (Tor 0-812-55032-3, Feb 98 [Jan 98], $6.99, 471pp, pb, cover by Vladimir Nenov) [Golden Queen] Reprint (Tor 1997) SF novel, third in The Golden Queen space opera series.
L. Ron Hubbard Presents Writers of the Future Volume XIV ed. Dave Wolverton (Bridge 1-57318-154-4, Oct 98, $6.99, 508pp, pb, cover by Paul Lehr) Original anthology of 17 stories by contest winners, illustrated by Illustrators of the Future winners. There are also articles on writing and art by L. Ron Hubbard, Anne McCaffrey, Vincent Di Fate, Eric Kotani, and Michael A. Stackpole.
Heathern Jack Womack (Grove 0-8021-3563-3, May 98, $12.00, 213pp, tp, cover by Miguel Santana) [Terraplane] Reprint (Unwin Hyman 1990) dystopian SF novel, third in the Ambient series.
Terraplane Jack Womack (Grove 0-8021-3562-5, May 98 [Jun 98], $12.00, 227pp, tp, cover by Miguel Santana) [Terraplane] Reprint (Weidenfeld & Nicholson 1988) dystopian SF novel, second in the Ambient series.
Cut Him Out in Little Stars Crystal Wood (Tattersall Publishing 0-9640513-1-1, Jun 98 [Jul 98], $11.95, 290pp, tp, cover by Shannon Bryant-Hankes) [Cut Him Out in Little Stars] Reprint (Tattersall 1994) SF mystery novel; the FBI investigates an ex-TV stars stories of alien encounters. This somewhat revised edition has updated pop culture references. Order from Tattersall Publishing, PO Box 308194, Denton TX 76203-8194.
Fools Joust Crystal Wood (Tattersall Publishing 0-9640513-7-0, Jun 98 [May 98], $14.95, 273pp, tp, cover by James Hobdy) [Cut Him Out in Little Stars] Humorous fantasy/mystery novel, sequel to Cut Him Out in Little Stars. FBI special agent Tay Silvestri investigates her nephews involvement with a supposed King Arthur building his new kingdom in Texas. Order from Tattersall Publishing, PO Box 308194, Denton TX 76203-8194.
Wolfs Cub Mackay Wood (Write Way 1-885173-30-X, 1998 [Oct 98], $14.95, 400pp, tp) Fantasy novel. A scholarly prince has to become a warrior. A first novel. Order from Write Way Publishing, 10555 E Dartmouth, Suite 210, Aurora CO 80014.
Faradays Orphans N. Lee Wood (Ace 0-441-00588-8, Dec 98 [Nov 98], $5.99, 339pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jensen) Reprint (Gollancz 1996) post-holocaust SF novel.
Dealing with Dragons Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic/Point 0-590-45722-5, Feb 98 [Mar 98], $4.50, 212pp, pb, cover by Tim Hildebrandt) [Enchanted Forest] Reissue (Ace/Tempo 1985) young-adult fantasy novel, book one in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. 13th printing.
Magic & Malice Patricia C. Wrede (SFBC #03715, May 98, $12.98, 420pp, hc, cover by Tom Kidd) [Mairelon] Omnibus edition of Regency fantasy mysteries Mairelon the Magician (1991) and Magicians Ward (1997). This special SFBC edition has ISBN 1-56865-684-X, and comes shrinkwrapped with a poster of the cover art; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
- 1 · Mairelon the Magician · n. New York: Tor, 1991
- 211 · Magicians Ward · n. New York: Tor, 1997
The Magicians Ward Patricia C. Wrede (Tor 0-812-52085-8, Oct 98 [Sep 98], $5.99, 288pp, pb, cover by David Kramer) [Mairelon] Reprint (Tor 1997) Regency fantasy/mystery, sequel to Mairelon the Magician.
Searching for Dragons Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic/Point 0-590-45721-7, Feb 98 [Mar 98], $4.50, 242pp, pb) [Enchanted Forest] Reissue (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1991) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Ninth printing.
Talking to Dragons Patricia C. Wrede (Scholastic/Point 0-590-48475-3, Feb 98 [Mar 98], $4.50, 255pp, pb) [Enchanted Forest] Reissue (Ace/Tempo 1985) young-adult fantasy novel, first written but fourth in the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Sixth printing.
A Scientific Romance Ronald Wright (St. Martins/Picador 0-312-18172-8, Mar 98, $23.00, 352pp, hc) [Time Machine] SF novel. A 1999 archaeologist experiments with H.G. Wellss time machine. A first novel by a noted non-fiction writer. First US edition (Knopf Canada 1997).