Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2000
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Snow Queen Eileen Kernaghan (Thistledown Press 1-894345-14-2, May 2000, C$14.95, 158pp, tp, cover by Charles Robinson) Fantasy novel retelling the Anderson tale with added elements from Saami shamanism and the Kalevala. Order from Thistledown Press, 633 Main St., Saskatoon SK S7H 0J8, Canada; www.thistledown.sk.ca
Blueprint Charlotte Kerner (Lerner Publications 0-8225-0080-9, Sep 2000, $16.95, 187pp, hc) Young-adult SF novel. One of the first human clones writes a memoir of her childhood as daughter to a self-absorbed musician. Translated by Elizabeth D. Crawford from the German Blueprint/Blaupause (Beltz 1999).
The Lesser Kindred Elizabeth Kerner (Tor 0-312-89066-4, Dec 2000, $24.95, 368pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Song in the Silence] Fantasy novel, sequel to Song in the Silence. Lanen Kaelar and her ex-dragon husband face threats from the demon-master who wants to sacrifice her.
The Black Raven Katharine Kerr (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57919-3, Nov 2000, $6.99, 405pp, pb, cover by Paul Youll) [Deverry: Dragon Mage] Reprint (Voyager 1999) fantasy novel in the Deverry series, book two of the Dragon Mage sub-series.
The Second Angel Philip Kerr (Pocket Star 0-671-02472-8, Mar 2000, $6.99, 439pp, pb) Reprint (Orion 1998) near-future SF thriller.
Hide and Seek Jack Ketchum (CD Publications 1-58767-004-6, Jul 2000, $40.00, 190pp, hc, cover by Neal McPheeters) Reprint (Ballantine 1984) associational non-supernatural horror novel. This is a signed, limited edition of 1000. Order from CD Publications, PO Box 943, Abingdon MD 21009; website [www.cemeterydance.com].
Algernon, Charlie and I: A Writers Journey Daniel Keyes (Challcrest Press 1-929519-00-1, Feb 2000, $24.95, 223pp, hc) Autobiographical account focusing on the writing of the award-winning Flowers for Algernon, and its subsequent adaptations. Available from Challenge Press, 3601 N Dixie Highway, Suite 7, PO Box 7148, Boca Raton FL 33431; 877-417-7781; www.challengepress.com
A Calculus of Angels J. Gregory Keyes (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40608-7, Mar 2000, $6.99, 429pp, pb, cover by Terese Neilsen) [Age of Unreason] Reprint (Del Rey 1999) historical fantasy novel, second in the Age of Unreason series.
Empire of Unreason J. Gregory Keyes (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-40609-5, May 2000, $14.00, 358pp, tp, cover by Terese Neilsen) [Age of Unreason] Historical fantasy novel, third in the Age of Unreason series.
Greyhawk: Descent Into the Depths of the Earth Paul Kidd (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1635-4, Jun 2000, $6.99, 310pp, pb, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Greyhawk] Novelization based on the D&D role-playing module. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Silk Caitlín R. Kiernan (Gauntlet Press 1-887368-22-1, Aug 99, $50.00, 222pp, hc, cover by Clive Barker) Reprint (Roc 1998) dark fantasy novel. There is a new introduction by Kiernan on the writing of the novel; afterword by Poppy Z. Brite. Illustrated by Clive Barker. This is a limited edition of 450 signed by Kiernan and Brite; a deluxe limited edition ($125.00) was announced but not seen.
Tales of Pain and Wonder Caitlín R. Kiernan (Gauntlet Press 1-887-36826-4, Mar 2000, $50.00, 322 + xxiii, hc, cover by Richard A. Kirk) Collection of 21 stories, two original, plus one original poem. Introduction by Douglas E. Winter; afterword by Peter Straub. Illustrated by Richard A. Kirk. This is a signed, limited edition of 500 signed by all four contributors.
- i · Introduction: Pain, Wonder, and Caitlín R. Kiernan · Douglas E. Winter · in
- xi · Preface · pr
- 1 · Anamorphosis · nv Lethal Kisses, ed. Ellen Datlow, Millennium, 1996
- 21 · To This Water (Johnstown, Pennsylvania 1889) · nv Dark Terrors 2, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1996
- 41 · Belas Plot · ss Love in Vein II, ed. Poppy Z. Brite & Martin H. Greenberg, HarperPrism, 1997
- 55 · Tears Seven Times Salt · ss Darkside, ed. John Pelan, Darkside Press, 1996
- 69 · Superheroes · ss Brothers of the Night, ed. Michael Rowe & Thomas S. Roche, Cleis, 1997
- 83 · Glass Coffin · ss Silver Birch, Blood Moon, ed. Ellen Datlow & Terri Windling, Avon, 1999
- 99 · Breakfast in the House of the Rising Sun · nv Noirotica 2: Pulp Friction, ed. Thomas S. Roche, Rhinoceros, 1997
- 117 · Estate · ss Dark Terrors 3, ed. Stephen Jones & David Sutton, London: Gollancz, 1997
- 131 · The Last Child of Lir · ss The Urbanite #8 97
- 149 · A Story for Edward Gorey · ss Wetbones Fll 97
- 161 · Salammbô · ss Palace Corbie #8 99
- 177 · Paedomorphosis · ss The Urbanite #10 98
- 191 · Postcards from the King of Tides · ss Candles for Elizabeth, Meisha Merlin, 1998
- 211 · Rats Live On No Evil Star · ss White of the Moon, ed. Stephen Jones, Pumpkin Books, 1999
- 223 · Salmagundi · ss Carpe Noctem v4 #4 98
- 235 · In the Water Works (Birmingham, Alabama 1988) · ss Tales of Pain and Wonder, Gauntlet Press, 2000
- 249 · The Long Hall on the Top Floor · ss Carpe Noctem #16 99
- 261 · San Andreas · ss *
- 279 · Angels You Can See Through · ss *
- 289 · Lafayette · ss Horror Garage #1, 2000
- 305 · ...Between the Gargoyle Trees · ss
- 321 · Epilogue: Zelda Fitzgerald in Ballet Attire · aw
- xiii · Afterword · Peter Straub · aw
Big Rock Beat Greg Kihn (Tor 0-312-87423-5, Nov 2000, $15.95, 351pp, tp, cover by Shelley Eshkar) Reprint (Forge 1998) dark-fantasy mystery novel, bringing back director Landis Woodley of Horror Show.
Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy Crawford Kilian (SFBC #05804, Oct 99, $9.98, 165pp, hc) Reprint (Self-Counsel Press 1998, not seen) writers how-to book. This oversize hardcover has ISBN 0-7394-0670-1, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back.
Bloodlover Nancy Kilpatrick (Baskerville Books 0-9686776-0-6, Oct 2000, $14.95, 273pp, tp, cover by Hugues Leblanc) [Power of the Blood] Vampire novel, the fourth in the Power of the Blood series. Available from Baskerville Books, 3561 Sheppard Avenue East, Box 19, Toronto ON Canada M1T 3K8; [www.baskervillebooks.com].
The Vampire Stories of Nancy Kilpatrick Nancy Kilpatrick (Mosaic Press 0-88962-726-6, Sep 2000, $15.00, 171pp, tp) Collection of 19 stories. There is an appreciation by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, and a foreword by Kilpatrick.
- · Nancy Kilpatrick: An Appreciation · Chelsea Quinn Yarbro · in
- · Foreword · fw
- · THEATRICAL VAMPIRES
- 3 · Passion Play · ss Sex & the Single Vampire, TAL Publications, 1994
- 20 · Theater of Cruelty · ss Sex & the Single Vampire, TAL Publications, 1994
- 33 · Metadrama · ss Sex & the Single Vampire, TAL Publications, 1994
- · EROTIC BLOODSUCKERS
- 45 · Dark Seduction · ss Prisoners of the Night #2 88
- 62 · The Game · ss Sons of Darkness, ed. Michael Rowe & Thomas S. Roche, Cleis, 1996
- 70 · The Hungry Living Dead · ss Dead of Night Spr 95
- 77 · Vampire Lovers · ss The Vampires Crypt #6 92
- · MYTHOLOGICAL & HISTORICAL REVENANTS
- 89 · In Memory of... · ss The Time of the Vampires, ed. P. N. Elrod & Martin H. Greenberg, DAW, 1996
- 101 · Memories of el Dia de los Muertos · vi Dead of Night Fll/Win 93
- · The Mountain Waits [Mother Mountain Waits] · ss Crossroads Oct 93
- · BATS WITH BITE
- 113 · The Shaft · ss The Standing Stone, 1991
- 116 · Teaserama · ss The Mammoth Book of Dracula, ed. Stephen Jones, Robinson, 1997
- 123 · Virtual Unreality · ss Crossroads Dec 92
- · THE UNQUIED UNDEAD
- 135 · Farm Wife · ss The Vampires Crypt #5 92
- 140 · Root Cellar · ss The Vampires Crypt #4 91
- 146 · UV · ss 100 Vicious Little Vampire Stories, ed. Robert Weinberg, Stefan Dziemianowicz & Martin H. Greenberg, Barnes & Noble, 1995
- 154 · Sustenance · ss After Hours Spr 93
- 160 · I Am No Longer · ss Deathport, ed. Ramsey Campbell, Pocket, 1993
- 165 · Leesville, LA · ss Freak Show, ed. F. Paul Wilson, Pocket, 1992
Graven Images ed. Nancy Kilpatrick & Thomas S. Roche (Ace 0-441-00766-X, Oct 2000, $13.00, 249pp, tp, cover by Victor Stabin) Original anthology of 15 dark fantasy stories, two reprints, about ancient gods. Authors include Storm Constantine, Gene Wolfe, and Tanith Lee.
Mad Merlin J. Robert King (Tor 0-312-86963-0, Jul 2000, $24.95, 479pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Mad Merlin] Arthurian fantasy novel, with Merlin as a fallen god meddling in human affairs (along with the Norse god, Loki).
Magic: The Gathering: Invasion J. Robert King (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1438-6, Oct 2000, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Eric Peterson) [Magic: The Gathering: Invasion Cycle] Novelization based on the card game, first book in the Invasion Cycle. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Carrie Stephen King (Pocket 0-671-03973-3, Sep 2000, $12.95, 193pp, tp, cover by Lisa Litwack) Reprint (Doubleday 1974) horror novel. This has the 1999 introduction by King.
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon Stephen King (Pocket 0-671-04285-8, Feb 2000, $6.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Lisa Litwack) Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 1999) associational novel.
Hearts in Atlantis Stephen King (Pocket 0-671-02424-8, Aug 2000, $7.99, 673pp, pb, cover by Tom Hallman) Reprint (Scribner 1999) collection of five interconnected stories, with some supernatural elements, about the 60s.
On Writing Stephen King (Simon & Schuster/Scribner 0-684-85352-3, Oct 2000, $25.00, 288pp, hc) Non-fiction with elements of autobiography, about writing, and Kings work, written while he was in the hospital.
Salems Lot Stephen King (Pocket 0-671-03975-X, Oct 2000, $13.95, 458 + xx, tp, cover by Lisa Litwack) Reprint (Doubleday 1975) vampire horror novel. This has the 1999 introduction by King.
Warhammer 40,000: Ragnars Claw William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-1155-2, Oct 2000, $6.95, 266pp, pb, cover by James Gravato) [Warhammer 40,000: Wolfclaw] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, sequel to Space Wolf. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (Black Library UK 2000, not seen).
Warhammer 40,000: Space Wolf William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-671-78399-8, Jul 2000, $6.95, 279pp, pb, cover by Wayne England) [Warhammer 40,000: Wolfclaw] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, in the Wolfclaw series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (Black Library UK 2000).
Warhammer: Daemonslayer William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-671-78389-0, May 2000, $6.95, 273pp, pb, cover by John Gravato) [Warhammer: Gotrek & Felix] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, third in the Gotrek & Felix series. First US edition (Black Library UK 2000). Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
Warhammer: Dragonslayer William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-1157-9, Nov 2000, $6.95, 270pp, tp, cover by John Gravato) [Warhammer: Gotrek & Felix] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, fourth in the Gotrek & Felix series. First US edition (Black Library UK 9/00). Copyrighted by Games Workshop.
Warhammer: Skavenslayer William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-671-78385-8, Apr 2000, $6.95, 280pp, pb, cover by John Gravato) [Warhammer: Gotrek & Felix] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, the second in the Gotrek & Felix series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop. First US edition (Black Library UK 1999).
Warhammer: Trollslayer William King (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-671-78373-4, Mar 2000, $6.95, 262pp, pb, cover by John Gravato) [Warhammer: Gotrek & Felix] Novelization based on the fantasy role-playing game, first in the Gotrek & Felix series. Copyrighted by Games Workshop Ltd. First US edition (Black Library UK 1999).
The Roundhill Dick King-Smith (Random House/Crown 0-517-80047-0, Nov 2000, $15.95, 84pp, hc, cover by Sian Bailey) Young-adult fantasy/ghost novella. A boy meets a mysterious girl who knows strange things and looks like Alice in Wonderland. First US edition (Viking Penguin UK 1999). Illustrated by Sian Bailey.
Spider Sparrow Dick King-Smith (Random House/Crown 0-517-80043-8, Mar 2000, $16.95, 163pp, hc, cover by Andrew Davidson) Young-adult fantasy novel of a boy with an uncommon bond to animals. Illustrated by Peter Bailey. First US edition (Doubleday UK 1998 as The Crowstarver).
The Glasswrights Apprentice Mindy Klasky (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45789-7, Jul 2000, $6.99, 324pp, pb, cover by Jerry Vanderstelt) [Glasswrights] Fantasy novel. An apprentice is accused of helping assassinate a prince. A first novel.
Doris Lessing Carole Klein (Carroll & Graf 0-7867-0806-9, Oct 2000, $26.00, 283 + viii, hc) Biography focusing on things Lessing left out of her memoirs, which end in 1962. This includes notes, index, bibliography, and 12 unpaginated pages of photos. [Doris Lessing]
Star Trek: The Klingon Hamlet The Klingon Language Institute (Pocket 0-671-03578-9, Feb 2000, $11.95, 219pp, tp, cover by Phil Foglio) [Star Trek] Reprint (Klingon Language Institute 1996, not seen) Star Trek-related version of the Shakespeare play, the Restored Klingon Version with simultaneous English text. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
DragonLance: The Citadel Richard A. Knaak (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-1683-4, Aug 2000, $6.99, 312pp, pb, cover by Alan Pollack) [DragonLance: Classics] Novelization in the Classics series. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Five Forbidden Things Dora Knez (Small Beer Press, Oct 2000, $4.00, 64pp, ph) Chapbook original collection of five stories, two reprints, and three poems, all reprints.
- 7 · The Good Housekeeper · ss *
- 23 · One Forbidden Thing · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Spr/Sum 99
- 29 · Vaster Than Empires · ss *
- 43 · HumanitAid, Inc. · ss *
- 49 · Perpetual Motion · ss Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Sum 98
- 60 · The Retreat of Glaciers/Kettle Pond · pm Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Sum 98
- 61 · If I Had Wings · pm Tesseracts 6, ed. Robert J. Sawyer & Carolyn Clink, Edmonton: Tesseract Books, 1997
- 62 · Stick Man · pm Lady Churchills Rosebud Wristlet Sum 97
Extremities Kathe Koja (Four Walls Eight Windows 1-56858-150-5, Feb 2000, $13.95, 2000pp, tp, cover by Carol Ford) Reprint (Four Walls Eight Windows 1998) collection.
Dykstras War Jeffery D. Kooistra (Baen 0-671-31958-2, Dec 2000, $6.99, 406pp, pb, cover by Patrick Turner) SF novel. A 126-year-old physicist is asked to explain weapons used by aliens invading the solar system.
Dark Rivers of the Heart Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58289-5, Aug 2000, $7.99, 565pp, pb, cover by Franco Accornero) Reprint (Knopf/Charnal House 1994) high-tech thriller set in a U.S. that may or may not be today.
Darkfall Dean Koontz (Berkley 0-425-10434-6, Dec 99, $7.99, 371pp, pb) Reissue (W.H. Allen 1984 as Darkness Comes) horror novel. 42nd printing.
The Face of Fear Dean Koontz (Berkley 0-425-11984-X, Jan 2000, $7.99, 306pp, pb) Reissue (Bobbs-Merrill 1977 as by Brian Coffey) occult/psychological thriller. 37th printing.
False Memory Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58022-1, Dec 2000, $7.99, 751pp, pb) Reprint (Hodder Headline 11/99) associational psychological horror novel of mind control.
From the Corner of His Eye Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-80134-1, Dec 2000, $26.95, 623pp, hc, cover by Tom Hallman) Quasi-SF horror novel involving quantum mechanics and human relationships. A blind prodigy regains his sight at 13 and discovers his life is connected with others in unexpected ways.
Icebound Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58290-9, Sep 2000, $7.99, 408pp, pb, cover by Franco Accornero) Reprint (Ballantine 1995) revision of Koontzs earlier associational thriller Prison of Ice (Lippincott 1976 as by David Axton).
Intensity Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58291-7, Nov 2000, $7.99, 436pp, pb) Reprint (Headline 1995) associational thriller.
Three Complete Novels Dean Koontz (Penguin/Putnam 0-399-14626-1, Aug 2000, $12.98, 773pp, hc, cover by Don Brautigam) Omnibus of three horror novels: Cold Fire (1991), Hideaway (1992), and The Key to Midnight (1979 as by Leigh Nichols). This is an instant remainder edition, the fifth Putnam omnibus weve seen titled Three Complete Novels (in addition to one Wings edition).
- · Cold Fire · n. New York: Putnam, 1991
- · Hideaway · n. New York: Putnam, 1992
- · The Key to Midnight [as by Leigh Nichols] · n. New York: Pocket Books, 1979
Ticktock Dean Koontz (Bantam 0-553-58292-5, Oct 2000, $7.99, 338pp, pb) Reprint (Headline 1996) SF/dark fantasy thriller.
Legacy of Prometheus Eric Kotani & John Maddox Roberts (Tor/Forge 0-312-87298-4, Apr 2000, $24.95, 268pp, hc, cover by Tony Greco) Near-future SF thriller of efforts to harness solar power by satellite.
Strange Attraction ed. Edward E. Kramer (Bereshith/ShadowLands Press 1-930595-00-X, Aug 2000, $29.95, 472pp, hc, cover by Lisa Snellings) Original anthology of 24 dark fantasy stories inspired by the kinetic sculptures of Lisa Snellings. Foreword by Edward E. Kramer; (reprint) introduction by Harlan Ellison. Authors include Michael Bishop, Ray Bradbury, Ed Bryant, and Gene Wolfe. This is a limited edition of 1,000; a signed, limited edition of 400 ($75.00, 0-9665662-2-X) and a traycased, leatherbound, gilt-edged deluxe edition of 100 with limited sculpture (-1-1, $275.00) were announced but not seen. Order from Bereshith Publishing, PO Box 2366, Centreville VA 20120; 703-222-9387; www.bereshith.com
The Omega Game Steven Krane (DAW 0-88677-907-3, Sep 2000, $6.99, 387pp, pb) Associational thriller of a group of people on an island resort forced to play a deadly game. Krane is a pen name for S.A. Swiniarski AKA S. Andrew Swann.
Probability Moon Nancy Kress (Tor 0-312-87406-5, Jul 2000, $23.95, 334pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Probability] SF novel.