Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2002
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
X-Men: Five Decades of the X-Men ed. Stan Lee (Pocket/ibooks/BP Books 0-7434-3500-1, Feb 2002, $14.95, 261pp, tp, cover by Tristan Schane) [X-Men] Original anthology of five stories about the comic-book characters. Copyrighted by Marvel Characters.
A Bed of Earth Tanith Lee (Overlook Press 1-58567-261-0, Sep 2002, $25.95, 330pp, hc, cover by J. K. Potter) [Secret Books of Venus] Dark fantasy novel, volume three of The Secret Books of Venus set in an alternate 18th-century Venice.
Black Unicorn Tanith Lee (Pocket/ibooks 0-7434-4512-0, Dec 2002, $12.00, 138pp, tp, cover by Heather Cooper) [Black Unicorn] Reprint (Atheneum 1991) fantasy novel, first in a series.
The Claidi Journals Tanith Lee (SFBC #51109, Jul 2002, $14.99, 461pp, hc, cover by Mark Zug) [Claidi Journals] Omnibus of three novels in the young-adult series: Wolf Tower (1998 as Law of the Wolf Tower), Wolf Star (2000 as Wolf Star Rise), and Wolf Queen (2001 as Queen of the Wolves).
- 1 · Wolf Tower [Law of the Wolf Tower] · n. Hodder Childrens Books, 1998
- 149 · Wolf Star [Wolf Star Rise] · n. Hodder Silver, 2000
- 309 · Wolf Queen [Queen of the Wolves] · n. Hodder Silver, 2001
Faces Under Water Tanith Lee (Overlook Press 1-58567-245-9, Feb 2002, $14.95, 233pp, tp, cover by J. K. Potter) [Secret Books of Venus] Reprint (Overlook Press 1998) dark fantasy novel, volume one of The Secret Books of Venus.
Wolf Queen [Queen of the Wolves] Tanith Lee (Penguin/Dutton 0-525-46895-1, May 2002, $16.99, 216pp, hc, cover by Victor Lee) [Claidi Journals] Young-adult fantasy, Book III of The Claidi Journals. First US edition (Hodder Silver 2001 as Queen of the Wolves).
Wolf Star Tanith Lee (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230152-3, Jul 2002, $5.99, 232pp, tp, cover by Victor Lee) [Claidi Journals] Reprint (Hodder Silver 2000 as Wolf Star Rise) young-adult fantasy, Book II of The Claidi Journals.
Smoke Ghost and Other Apparitions Fritz Leiber (Midnight House 0-9707349-7-2, 2001, $40.00, 305pp, hc) Collection of 18 stories, one original, of the supernatural and the macabre, the second volume in a series of Leiber collections. Introduction by Ramsey Campbell. This is a limited edition of 460; it is dated 2001, but not seen until now. Order from Midnight House, 4128 Woodland Park Ave. N., Seattle WA 98103; [www.darksidepress.com/midnight.htm].
- 9 · Introduction · Ramsey Campbell · in Smoke Ghost and Other Apparitions, Midnight House, 2002
- 13 · Smoke Ghost · ss Unknown Oct 41
- 29 · The Power of the Puppets · ss Thrilling Mystery Jan 42
- 51 · Cry Witch! · ss Ten Story Fantasy Spr 51
- 63 · The Hill and the Hole · ss Unknown Aug 42
- 75 · The Enormous Bedroom · nv Smoke Ghost and Other Apparitions, Midnight House, 2002
- 99 · Black Glass · nv Andromeda 3, ed. Peter Weston, London: Futura, 1978
- 127 · Im Looking for Jeff · ss Fantastic Fll 52
- 141 · The Eeriest Ruined Dawn World · ss The Ides of Tomorrow, ed. Terry Carr, Little & Brown, 1976
- 151 · Richmond, Late September, 1849 · ss Fantastic Feb 69
- 165 · The House of Mrs. Delgato · ss Rogue May 59
- 171 · The Black Ewe · ss Startling Stories May 50
- 187 · Replacement for Wilmer: A Ghost Story · ss Philcon 1990 Program Book, PSFS, 1990
- 197 · MS. Found in a Maelstrom · ss Short Stories for Men Apr 59
- 205 · The Winter Flies [The Inner Circles] · ss F&SF Oct 67
- 219 · The Button Molder · nv Whispers Oct 79
- 251 · Do You Know Dave Wenzel? · ss Fellowship of the Stars, ed. Terry Carr, Simon & Schuster, 1974
- 269 · A Visitor from Back East · ss Mike Shayne Mystery Magazine Dec 61
- 279 · Dark Wings · nv Superhorror, ed. Ramsey Campbell, W.H. Allen, 1976
- 303 · Some Notes on the Texts · John Pelan & Steve Savile · ms
The Wanderer Fritz Leiber (Sterling Publishing/Gollancz 0-575-07112-5, Jan 2002, $14.95, 346pp, tp, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Ballantine 1964) SF novel. This is a special printing (dated 8/01) of the 2000 Gollancz SF Collectors edition, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing, 387 Park Ave. S., New York NY 10016-8810; 800-805-5489; [www.sterlingpub.com].
Med Ship Murray Leinster (Baen 0-7434-3555-9, Aug 2002, $7.99, 634pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Calhoun (Med Service)] Omnibus of four books in the Med Service series: collection S.O.S. from Three Worlds (1967), The Mutant Weapon (1959), collection Doctor to the Stars: Three Novelettes of the Interstellar Medical Service (1964), and This World is Taboo (1961). Edited by Eric Flint and Guy Gordon.
- 1 · Med Ship Man · nv Galaxy Oct 63
- 55 · Plague on Kryder II · na Analog Dec 64
- 119 · The Mutant Weapon [Med Service, Astounding Aug 57] · n. New York: Ace, 1959
- 229 · Ribbon in the Sky · nv Astounding Jun 57
- 283 · Tallien Three [The Hate Disease] · na Analog Aug 63
- 349 · Quarantine World · na Analog Nov 66
- 423 · The Grandfathers War · na Astounding Oct 57
- 503 · Pariah Planet · na Amazing Jul 61
- 632 · Editors Afterword · Eric Flint & Guy Gordon · aw
The Way of the Rose Valery Leith (Bantam Spectra 0-553-57905-3, Sep 2002, $6.99, 544pp, pb, cover by Stephen Youll) [Everien] Reprint (Bantam Spectra 2001) fantasy novel, the third and final book of Everien. Leith is a pen name for Tricia Sullivan.
Solaris Stanislaw Lem (Harcourt/Harvest 0-15-602760-7, Nov 2002, $13.00, 204pp, tp) Reissue (Walker 1970) SF novel. This movie tie-in edition has a new ISBN and indicates first printing.
Charmed: Charmed Again Elizabeth Lenhard (Simon Pulse 0-7434-4264-4, Mar 2002, $5.99, 181pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the tenth based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
Charmed: Date with Death Elizabeth Lenhard (Simon Pulse 0-689-85078-6, Sep 2002, $5.99, 186pp, pb) [Charmed] Young-adult novelization, the 14th based on the TV show about three witches. Copyrighted by Spelling Television.
Hidden Passions: Secrets from the Diaries of Tabitha Lenox Tabitha Lenox (HarperEntertainment 0-06-102084-2, Jan 2002, $7.99, 401pp, pb) Reprint (HarperEntertainment 2001, not seen) novelization based on characters from the soap opera Passions, supposedly the diary of the witch Tabitha Lenox, annotated by her living doll, Timmy. This edition adds a 17-page appendix of lost love letters. The copyright page indicates this was written by Alice Alfonsi. Copyrighted by NBC Enterprises.
The Stepford Wives Ira Levin (HarperPerennial 0-06-008084-1, Aug 2002, $11.95, 123pp, tp) Reprint (Random House 1972) SF horror novel. New introduction by Peter Straub.
The Consciousness Plague Paul Levinson (Tor 0-765-30098-2, Mar 2002, $24.95, 316pp, hc) [Phil DAmato] SF mystery novel, sequel to The Silk Code, featuring forensic detective Phil DAmato. Dr. DAmato investigates strange cases of memory loss.
The Consciousness Plague Paul Levinson (SFBC #50352, May 2002, $12.50, 316pp, hc) [Phil DAmato] Reprint (Tor 2002) SF mystery novel, sequel to The Silk Code, featuring forensic detective Phil DAmato. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Horse and His Boy C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447106-3, Mar 2002, $5.95, 241pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1954) young-adult fantasy novel, book three in the Narnia series.
The Last Battle C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447108-X, Mar 2002, $5.95, 228pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Bodley Head 1956) young-adult fantasy novel, book seven in the Narnia series.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447110-1, Mar 2002, $5.95, 206pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1950) young-adult fantasy novel, book two in the Narnia series.
The Magicians Nephew C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447110-1, Mar 2002, $5.95, 221pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Bodley Head 1955) young-adult fantasy novel, book one in the Narnia series.
Prince Caspian C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447105-5, Mar 2002, $5.95, 238pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1951) young-adult fantasy novel, book four in the Narnia series.
The Screwtape Letters C. S. Lewis (HarperSanFrancisco 0-06-065293-4, Feb 2001, $8.00, 209pp, tp) Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1942) epistolary fantasy novel; it includes the piece Screwtape Proposes a Toast, and prefaces by Lewis from 1961 and 1982. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now.
The Silver Chair C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447109-8, Mar 2002, $5.95, 257pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1953) young-adult fantasy novel, book six in the Narnia series.
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader C. S. Lewis (HarperTrophy 0-06-447107-1, Mar 2002, $5.95, 271pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) [Narnia] Reprint (Geoffrey Bles 1952) young-adult fantasy novel, book five in the Narnia series.
Eccentric Individuality in William Kotzwinkles The Fan Man, E.T., Doctor Rat, and Other Works of Fiction and Fantasy Leon Lewis (Mellen, Edwin, Press 0-7734-7310-6, Mar 2002, $99.95, 170pp, hc) Non-fiction, a critical examination of Kotzwinkles works. Includes bibliography and index. This is volume 49 in the Studies in American Literature series. Order from the Edwin Mellen Press, Box 450, Lewiston NY 14092-0450. [William E. Kotzwinkle]
Never After Rebecca Lickiss (Ace 0-441-00907-7, Jul 2002, $6.50, 261pp, pb, cover by Judy York) Fantasy novel set in a world of scrambled fairy tales. A prince seeking a bride in an enchanted castle finds sleeping princes instead.
Never After Rebecca Lickiss (SFBC #52778, Oct 2002, $9.99, 261pp, hc, cover by Judy York) Reprint (Ace 2002) humorous fantasy novel. This has ISBN 0-7394-2853-5; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
A Voyage to Arcturus David Lindsay (University of Nebraska Press/Bison Books 0-8032-8004-1, Apr 2002, $13.95, 272 + xv, tp, cover by R. W. Boeche) Reprint (Methuen 1920) classic allegorical SF novel of a trip to another planet. This Commemorative Edition has a new introduction by John Clute; Loren Eisleys afterword originally appeared as the introduction to a previous Scribner edition. Order from University of Nebraska Press, 233 North 8th St, Lincoln NE 68588-0484; credit card orders 800-755-1105; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nebraskapress.unl.edu]; add $4.00 postage.
Through Wolfs Eyes Jane Lindskold (Tor 0-812-57548-2, Jun 2002, $7.99, 586pp, pb, cover by Julie Bell) [Firekeeper] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy novel. Part of a WOMEN IN FANTASY promotion.
Wolfs Head, Wolfs Heart Jane Lindskold (Tor 0-312-87426-X, Aug 2002, $27.95, 608pp, hc) [Firekeeper] Fantasy novel, sequel to Through Wolfs Eyes. The Royal animals send Firekeeper on a quest for three magic objects.
Memory of Fire Holly Lisle (HarperCollins/Eos 0-380-81837-X, May 2002, $6.99, 355pp, pb, cover by Alan Pollack) [World Gates] Fantasy novel, first in The World Gates trilogy. The Sentinels in the town of Cat Creek seek to prevent cross-dimensional abuses of magic.
Vincalis the Agitator Holly Lisle (Warner Aspect 0-446-67899-6, Mar 2002, $13.95, 391pp, tp, cover by Matt Stawicki) [Secret Texts] Fantasy novel, a prequel to The Secret Texts trilogy.
The Collection Bentley Little (Penguin/Signet 0-451-20609-6, Jun 2002, $6.99, 453pp, pb) Collection of 32 stories.
- 1 · The Sanctuary · ss Cemetery Dance Jun 89
- 13 · The Woods Be Dark · ss Touch Wood, ed. Peter Crowther, Little, Brown UK, 1993
- 27 · The Phonebook Man · ss Eldritch Tales #27 92
- 35 · Estoppel · ss 2AM Spr 88
- 51 · The Washingtonians · ss Cemetery Dance Fll 92
- 71 · Life with Father · ss Going Postal, ed. Gerard Daniel Houarner, Space & Time, 1998
- 81 · Bob · ss
- 91 · Bumblebee · nv Cold Blood, ed. Richard T. Chizmar, Ziesing, 1991
- 113 · Lethe Dreams · ss Night Cry Spr 87
- 123 · Paperwork · ss The Horror Show Win 88
- 137 · The Idol · ss Twisted #6 91
- 155 · Skin · ss The Horror Show Win 88
- 167 · The Man in the Passenger Seat · ss Borderlands 3, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1993
- 181 · Comes the Bad Time · ss The Horror Show Win 87
- 191 · Against the Pale Sand · ss Grue #10 89
- 199 · The Pond · ss Blue Motel, ed. Peter Crowther, Little Brown UK, 1994
- 217 · Roommates · ss The Silver Web Win/Spr 93
- 229 · Llama · ss Hottest Blood, ed. Jeff Gelb & Michael Garrett, Pocket, 1993
- 239 · Full Moon on Death Row · nv *
- 265 · The Show · ss The Horror Show Fll 87
- 275 · The Mailman · ss The Horror Show Sum 88
- 289 · Monteith · ss Expressions of Dread Win 93-94
- 303 · Pillow Talk · ss Eldritch Tales #25 91
- 313 · Mayas Mother · nv *
- 335 · Colony · nv *
- 357 · Confessions of a Corporate Man · ss *
- 369 · Blood · ss Cemetery Dance Spr 90
- 383 · And I am Here, Fighting with Ghosts · ss Eldritch Tales #18 89
- 397 · The Baby · ss SPWAO Showcase #7 89
- 409 · Coming Home Again · ss New Blood #3 88
- 421 · The Potato · ss Borderlands 2, ed. Thomas F. Monteleone, Borderlands Press, 1991
- 433 · The Murmurous Haunt of Flies · ss Murmurous Haunts, 1997
The Return Bentley Little (Penguin/Signet 0-451-20687-8, Sep 2002, $6.99, 354pp, pb) Horror novel. A towns legendary monster may be real.
The Summoning Bentley Little (Kensington/Pinnacle 0-7860-1480-6, Feb 2002, $6.99, 541pp, pb) Reissue (Zebra 1993) horror novel of an undead creature in a small Arizona town. This has a new ISBN, but indicates second printing.
Familiars ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-7564-0081-3, Jul 2002, $6.99, 319pp, pb, cover by Judy York) Original anthology of 15 fantasy stories about witches familiars. Authors include Kristine Kathryn Rusch, Andre Norton, and P.N. Elrod. Introduction by Little. Greenberg is not mentioned, but this is copyrighted by Little and Tekno Books.
Vengeance Fantastic ed. Denise Little & Martin H. Greenberg (DAW 0-7564-0084-8, Oct 2002, $6.99, 336pp, pb) Original anthology of 17 fantasy stories. Authors include Nina Kiriki Hoffman, Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, and Alan Rodgers. Greenberg is not mentioned, but this is copyrighted by Little and Tekno Books.
Eva Moves the Furniture Margot Livesey (Holt, Henry 0-8050-6801-5, Sep 2001, $23.00, 232pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel. A womans life is disrupted by the meddling of two invisible friends.
Eva Moves the Furniture Margot Livesey (Picador USA 0-312-42103-6, Oct 2002, $13.00, 232pp, tp) Reprint (Henry Holt 2001) literary fantasy novel of a woman with invisible friends.
Finn Mac Cool Morgan Llywelyn (Tor 0-312-87737-4, May 2002, $15.95, 400pp, tp, cover by Gregory Manchess) Reprint (Tor 1994) historical novel with fantasy elements.
Lion of Ireland Morgan Llywelyn (Tor 0-765-30257-8, Mar 2002, $15.95, 444pp, tp, cover by Gregory Manchess) [Lion of Ireland] Reprint (Houghton Mifflin 1979) historical novel with minor fantasy elements.
i-o Simon Logan (Prime Books 1-894815-05-X, 2001, $12.00, 110pp, tp, cover by Simon Logan) Original collection of eight industrial SF stories of a dark, sometimes hallucinogenic, future. This is dated 2001, but not seen until now. A print-on-demand book; order from Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.net].
- · Prism: The Mechanisation and Deconstruction of Beauty · ss *
- · Coaxial-Creature · ss *
- · Partofit · ss *
- · Ignition · ss *
- · Foetal Chambers · ss *
- · The Method of Pulse · vi The Dream Zone #9, 2001
- · Iron Lung · ss *
- · Akin in Insects · ss *
Dancing with an Alien Mary Logue (HarperTempest 0-06-447209-4, Feb 2002, $6.95, 134pp, tp, cover by Cliff Nielsen) Reprint (HarperCollins 2000) young-adult SF novel.
Year Zero Jeff Long (Pocket 0-7434-0611-7, Apr 2002, $25.00, 407pp, hc) Near-future thriller. An archaeologist seeks to create clones from religious relics in hopes of finding a way to combat a 2,000-year-old plague.
Waking Up Screaming H. P. Lovecraft (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45829-X, Jan 2003, $6.99, 370 + xii, pb, cover by Dave McKean) Collection of 16 stories, all previously collected. Copyrighted by Arkham House. Introduction by Poppy Z. Brite.
- · Being Providence: An Introduction to H.P. Lovecraft · Poppy Z. Brite · ss
- · Cool Air · ss Tales of Magic and Mystery Mar 28; Weird Tales Jul 27
- · The Hound · ss Weird Tales Feb 24
- · The Lurking Fear · nv Home Brew Jan 23 (+3); Weird Tales Jun 28
- · The Terrible Old Man · vi The Tryout Jul 20; Weird Tales Aug 26
- · The Unnamable · ss Weird Tales Jul 25
- · Beyond the Wall of Sleep · ss Pine Cones Oct 19; Weird Tales Mar 38
- · The Shadow Over Innsmouth · na Visionary Press: Everett, PA, 1936; Weird Tales Jan 42
- · The White Ship · ss The United Amateur Nov 19
- · The Outsider · ss Weird Tales Apr 26
- · Herbert WestReanimator [Grewsome Tales] · gp Home Brew Feb-Jul 22; From the Dark, ss Weird Tales Mar 42; The Plague Demon, ss Weird Tales Jul 42; Six Shots by Moonlight, ss Weird Tales Sep 42; The Scream of the Dead, ss Weird Tales Nov 42; The Horror from the Shadows, ss Weird Tales Sep 43; The Tomb-Legions, ss Weird Tales Nov 43
- · Arthur Jermyn [Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family] · ss The Wolverine Mar 21 (+1); Weird Tales May 35
- · The Moon-Bog · ss Weird Tales Jun 26
- · The Temple · ss Weird Tales Sep 25
- · Dagon · ss The Vagrant Nov 19; Weird Tales Oct 23
- · From Beyond · ss The Fantasy Fan Jun 34; Weird Tales Feb 38
- · The Case of Charles Dexter Ward · na Weird Tales May 41 (+1)