Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
The Bachelor Machine M. Christian (Green Candy Press 1-931160-16-3, Sep 2003, $14.95, 210pp, tp, cover by Larry Utley) Collection of 19 erotic SF stories. Introduction by Cecilia Tan.
- ix · Introduction · Cecilia Tan · in
- 1 · State · ss Selling Venus, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1995
- 13 · Bluebells · ss
- 23 · Winged Memory · ss Mammoth Book of New Erotica, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Robinson, 1998
- 41 · Eulogy · ss
- 49 · Butterflie$ · ss
- 55 · Everything But the Smell of Lillies · ss Wetbones Spr 97
- 69 · Fully Accessorized, Baby · ss Genderflex, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1996
- 77 · The New Motor · ss The Mammoth Book of Historical Erotica, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Robinson, 1999
- 91 · Guernica · ss Fetish Fantastic, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1999
- 97 · Hackwork · ss Mammoth Book of New Erotica, ed. Maxim Jakubowski, Robinson, 1998
- 111 · Heartbreaker · ss
- 127 · Switch · ss
- 131 · InterCore · ss
- 139 · Technophile · ss Wired Hard 2, ed. Cecilia Tan, Circlet Press, 1997
- 143 · Skin-Effect · ss
- 157 · Sight · ss
- 171 · The Show · ss The Bachelor Machine, Green Candy Press, 2003
- 181 · Thin Dog · ss
- 195 · The Bachelor Machine · nv Eros ex Machina, ed. M. Christian, Masquerade/Rhinoceros, 1998
The City of Gold and Lead John Christopher (Simon Pulse 0-689-85666-0, Apr 2003, $4.99, 209pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Tripods] Reprint (Hamish Hamilton 1967) classic young-adult SF novel, second in the Tripods trilogy. A hardcover Simon & Schuster edition (0-689-85505-2, $16.95, 180pp) is also available.
The Pool of Fire John Christopher (Simon Pulse 0-689-85669-5, Apr 2003, $4.99, 204pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Tripods] Reprint (Hamish Hamilton 1968) classic young-adult SF novel, third in the Tripods trilogy. A hardcover Simon & Schuster edition (0-689-85506-0, $16.95) was announced but not seen.
When the Tripods Came John Christopher (Simon Pulse 0-689-85762-4, Apr 2003, $4.99, 151pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Tripods] Reprint (Dutton 1988) young-adult SF novel, a prequel to the Tripods trilogy.
The White Mountains John Christopher (Simon Pulse 0-689-85672-5, Apr 2003, $4.99, 195pp, pb, cover by Joe Burleson) [Tripods] Reprint (Hamish Hamilton 1967) classic young-adult SF novel, first in the Tripods trilogy. A hardcover Simon & Schuster edition (0-689-85504-4, $16.95, 164pp) is also available.
Transformers, Book 2: Annihilation David Cian (ibooks 0-7434-7442-2, Sep 2003, $6.99, 234pp, pb) [Transformers] Novelization, second in a trilogy based on the comic-book series and new animated series. Copyrighted by Hasbro.
Forgotten Realms: Shadowdale Scott Ciencin (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3105-1, May 2003, $6.99, 335pp, pb, cover by Gerald Brom) [Forgotten Realms: Avatar] Reprint (TSR 1989 as by Richard Awlinson) novelization based on the roleplaying game, book one in the Avatar series. Copyrighted 1989 by TSR, 2003 by Wizards of the Coast.
Forgotten Realms: Tantras Scott Ciencin (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-3108-6, Jun 2003, $6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Gerald Brom) [Forgotten Realms: Avatar] Reprint (TSR 1989 as by Richard Awlinson) novelization based on the roleplaying game, book two in the Avatar series. Copyrighted 1989 by TSR, 2003 by Wizards of the Coast.
Transformers, Book 1: Hardwired Scott Ciencin (ibooks 0-7434-5898-2, May 2003, $6.99, 332pp, pb) [Transformers] Novelization based on the new animated series based on the toys. The first in a trilogy. Copyrighted by Hasbro.
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer: Mortal Fear Scott & Denise Ciencin (Simon Pulse 0-7434-2771-8, Sep 2003, $6.99, 479pp, hc) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer] Novelization based on the television shows. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Deus-X: The Reality Conspiracy Joseph A. Citro (University Press of New England/Hardscrabble 1-58465-339-6, Jan 2004, $15.95, 388pp, tp, cover by Wendell Minor) Reprint (Twilight Publishing 1994) horror novel. UFO abductions, a grotesque execution, and psychic violence lead a psychologist, a physicist, and a priest to investigate a Canadian hospital for elderly and demented priests. Order from University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755-2048; credit card orders 800-421-1561; [www.upne.com]; add $5.00 postage.
X-Men 2 Chris Claremont (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-46196-7, Mar 2003, $6.99, 408pp, pb) [X-Men] Novelization of the movie based on the Marvel comic book. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
X-Men 2 Chris Claremont (SFBC #57989, Jun 2003, $10.99, 409pp, hc) [X-Men] Reprint (Del Rey 2003) novelization of the movie based on the Marvel comic book. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film. This has ISBN 0-7394-3429-2; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Pain & Other Petty Plots to Keep You in Stitches ed. Alan M. Clark & Randy Fox (IFD Publishing 0-9671912-5-4, Jan 2003, $16.00, 111pp, tp, cover by Alan M. Clark) Anthology/art book of four stories, two original, all but one (by Jeremy Robert Johnson) collaborations with Clark, inspired by his horror art, reproduced here in black and white. This expands on the concept of The Pain Doctors of Suture Self General by the Bovine Smoke Society, and has some of the same art. Clark provides an autobiographical piece on an influential hospital experience of his own. Foreword by F. Paul Wilson; afterword by Randy Fox. IFD Publishing, PO Box 40776, Eugene OR 97404; [www.ifdpublishing.com].
- 6 · Primum Non Nocere · F. Paul Wilson · in *
- 9 · Pain & Other Petty Plots · Randy Fox & Alan M. Clark · na *
- 71 · Just How Expensive a Free Lunch Can Be · Alan M. Clark & Mark Edwards · ss Imagination Fully Dilated 2, ed. Elizabeth Engstrom, IFD Publishing, 2000
- 85 · Amniotic Shock in the Last Sacred Place · Jeremy Robert Johnson · ss *
- 93 · Crew Cuts · Troy Guinn & Alan M. Clark · ss Hemogoblins, Stories to Chill the Blood, Alan M. Clark & Friends, Scorpius Digital Publishing, 2001
- 101 · The Pain Never Stops, Or, Floggin a Dead Horse One More Time · Randy Fox · aw *
- 103 · The Unseen and Unknowable · Alan M. Clark · ss Personal Demons, Lone Wolf Publications, 2001
Stranger Simon Clark (Leisure 0-8439-5076-5, Oct 2003, $6.99, 418pp, pb) Post-holocaust horror novel. First US edition (Hale 2002).
Exorcising Angels Simon Clark & Tim Lebbon (Earthling Publications 0-9721518-8-5, Oct 2003, $35.00, 87pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) Collection of three stories: one collaborative novella and a solo story from each author. There is an introduction by Lebbon, and a postscript by Clark. This is a signed, limited edition of 750; a traycased lettered edition of 26 (-9-3, $175.00) is also available. Earthling Publications, 12 Pheasant Hill Drive, Shrewsbury MA 01545; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.earthlingpub.com].
- 5 · The Art of Deceit: An Introduction · Tim Lebbon · in *
- 9 · Exorcising Angels · na *
- 57 · Skins · Tim Lebbon · ss *
- 69 · A Bridge to Everywhere · Simon Clark · ss *
- 85 · Omnia Exeunt in Mysterium: A Postscript · Simon Clark · aw *
The City and the Stars Arthur C. Clarke (SFBC #55649, Jun 2003, $9.99, 212pp, hc, cover by Donato Giancola) Reprint (Harcourt Brace 1956) classic SF novel. This is the third volume in the SFBC 50th Anniversary Collection; it has ISBN 0-7394-3421-7, lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Glide Path Arthur C. Clarke (ibooks 0-7434-7531-3, Nov 2003, $11.95, 279pp, tp) Reprint (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1963) associational novel about radar in WWII.
Imperial Earth Arthur C. Clarke (ibooks 0-7434-5902-4, Jun 2003, $12.95, 303pp, tp, cover by Kev Walker) Reprint (Gollancz 1975) SF novel. This has the text of the longer American edition (Harcourt 1976).
The Sentinel Arthur C. Clarke (ibooks 0-7434-7975-0, Jan 2004, $6.99, 299pp, pb, cover by Lebbeus Woods) Reprint (Berkley 1983) SF collection, illustrated by Lebbeus Woods. Copyrighted by Byron Preiss Visual Publications.
Times Eye Arthur C. Clarke & Stephen Baxter (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45248-8, Jan 2004, $26.95, 337pp, hc, cover by David Stevenson) [A Time Odyssey] SF novel, first in the two-book series A Time Odyssey. Aliens divide up Earth so different areas follow different timelines, from prehistory to 2037. This comes with a bound-in CD-ROM containing two novels by Baxter and information on both authors.
From Narnia to a Space Odyssey: The War of Ideas Between Arthur C. Clarke and C.S. Lewis Arthur C. Clarke & C. S. Lewis (ibooks 0-7434-7518-6, Oct 2003, $21.00, 176pp, hc, cover by Jim Burns) Non-fiction collection of letters between Clarke and Lewis, plus a selection of two stories and one essay by Lewis, and six stories and one essay by Clarke. Edited and with an introduction and articles on both writers by Ryder W. Miller. Preface by Arthur C. Clarke.
Starry Nights Judith Clarke (Front Street 1-866920-79-0, Mar 2003, $15.95, 148pp, hc) Young-adult ghost novel. Jess is disturbed by her mothers breakdown and her sisters new obsession with contacting the dead.
The Hour Before Dark Douglas Clegg (Leisure 0-8439-5142-7, Sep 2003, $6.99, 370pp, pb) Reprint (Leisure 2002) horror novel.
The Necromancer Douglas Clegg (CD Publications 1-58767-071-2, Sep 2003, $35.00, 134pp, hc, cover by Caniglia) [Justin Gravesend] Horror novella about Justin Gravesend, the man who created the strange house called Harrow from Nightmare House and other novels. Clegg includes an afterword on the mythos he is building. This is a signed, limited edition of 1,500; a leatherbound, traycased lettered edition of 52 with added color art ($125.00) is also available. Order from Cemetery Dance Publications, 132-B Industry Lane, Unit 7, Forest Hill MD 21050; [www.cemeterydance.com]; [email@example.com].
Witch Star James Clemens (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44265-2, Nov 2003, $6.99, 592pp, pb, cover by Michael Dringenberg) [Banned and the Banished] Reprint (Del Rey 2002) fantasy novel, fifth and final book of The Banned and the Banished. Clemens is a pen name for Jim Czajkowski, who also writes as James Rollins.
Heavy Planet Hal Clement (SFBC #56449, Mar 2003, $13.99, 414pp, hc, cover by Stephan Martiniere) Reprint (NESFA 2000 as The Essential Hal Clement, Volume 3: Variations on a Theme by Sir Isaac Newton) collection of two Mesklin novels, Mission of Gravity (1954) and Star Light (1971), plus two stories and an article. This has ISBN 0-7394-3291-5; it lacks a price, and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Noise Hal Clement (Tor 0-765-30857-6, Sep 2003, $23.95, 252pp, hc, cover by John Harris) SF novel. A researcher studies language development in a colony on an ocean planet.
The Sight David Clement-Davies (Penguin/Firebird 0-14-250047-X, Aug 2003, $7.99, 555pp, pb) Reprint (Macmillan UK 2001) young-adult fantasy of wolves in Transylvania with unusual powers.
Appleseed John Clute (Tor 0-765-30379-5, Feb 2003, $14.95, 337pp, tp, cover by Shelley Eshkar) Reprint (Orbit 2001) SF novel.
The Third Magic Molly Cochran (Tor/Forge 0-312-86440-X, Sep 2003, $24.95, 444pp, hc, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Forever King] Arthurian contemporary fantasy novel, the third in the series begun in The Forever King and The Broken Sword, both co-authored by Warren Murphy.
Rules of Ascension David B. Coe (Tor 0-812-58984-X, May 2003, $7.99, 658pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Winds of the Forelands] Reprint (Tor 2002) fantasy novel. First book in the Winds of the Forelands tetralogy.
Seeds of Betrayal David B. Coe (Tor 0-312-87808-7, May 2003, $27.95, 540pp, hc, cover by Gary Ruddell) [Winds of the Forelands] Fantasy novel, second in the Winds of the Forelands tetralogy.
What Does a Martian Look Like? The Science of Extraterrestrial Life Jack Cohen & Ian Stewart (Wiley, John 0-471-26889-5, Oct 2002, $27.95, 369pp, hc) Associational non-fiction speculating on the scientific possibilities of aliens and other life forms, with some discussion of aliens in SF books as well as movies. This is dated 2002, but not seen until now. First US edition (Ebury 2002 as Evolving the Alien, not seen).
Man-Kzin Wars X: The Wunder War Hal Colebatch (Baen 0-7434-3619-9, Aug 2003, $21.00, 343pp, hc, cover by Stephen Hickman) [Man-Kzin Wars] Original collection of four stories set on the planet Wunderland in Larry Nivens Known Space universe.
- 1 · One War for Wunderland · n. *
- 147 · The Corporal in the Caves · nv *
- 181 · Music Box · nv *
- 299 · Peter Robinson · nv *
MechWarrior: Dark Age: A Call to Arms Loren L. Coleman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45912-1, Feb 2003, $6.99, 305pp, tp) [MechWarrior] Novelization based on the Battletech roleplaying game. Copyrighted by WizKids.
MechWarrior: Dark Age: By Temptations and by War Loren L. Coleman (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45947-4, Dec 2003, $12.95, 293pp, tp) [MechWarrior: Dark Age] Novelization, the seventh based on the computer game based on the Battletech roleplaying game. Copyrighted by WizKids.
Artemis Fowl Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1787-9, May 2003, $5.99, 396pp, pb, cover by Tony Fleetwood) [Artemis Fowl] Reprint (Talk Miramax Books; Viking UK 2001) young-adult fantasy novel about a rich young evil genius and fairies.
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1708-9, May 2003, $6.99, 277pp, tp, cover by Tristan Elwell) [Artemis Fowl] Reprint (Talk Miramax 2002) young-adult fantasy novel, second in the series.
Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1914-6, May 2003, $16.95, 309pp, hc, cover by Alex Ferrari) [Artemis Fowl] Young-adult fantasy novel, third in the series about a young criminal genius. Artemis Fowl invents a supercomputer based on stolen fairy technology.
The Wish List Eoin Colfer (Hyperion/Miramax 0-7868-1863-8, Oct 2003, $16.95, 252pp, hc) Young-adult fantasy novel. A dead teen is given a chance to redeem herself by performing tasks back on Earth. First US edition (OBrien Press 2000).
Fancies and Goodnights John Collier (New York Review of Books 1-59017-051-2, May 2003, $14.95, 418 + xi, tp, cover by Neo Rauch) Reprint (Doubleday 1951) collection of 50 stories with a new Introduction by Ray Bradbury.
- vii · Introduction · Ray Bradbury · in
- 1 · Bottle Party · ss, 1939
- 9 · De Mortuis · ss New Yorker Jul 18 42
- 16 · Evening Primrose · ss, 1940
- 28 · Witchs Money · ss New Yorker May 6 39
- 40 · Are You Too Late Or Was I Too Early · ss New Yorker Apr 14 51
- 44 · Fallen Star · ss
- 56 · The Touch of Nutmeg Makes It · ss New Yorker May 3 41
- 64 · Three Bears Cottage · ss
- 70 · Pictures in the Fire · ss
- 84 · Wet Saturday · ss New Yorker Jul 16 38
- 91 · Squirrels Have Bright Eyes · ss
- 97 · Half-Way to Hell · ss The Devil and All, Nonesuch Press, 1934
- 104 · The Lady on the Grey · ss New Yorker Jun 16 51
- 112 · Incident on a Lake · ss New Yorker Jul 26 41
- 118 · Over Insurance · ss
- 124 · Old Acquaintance · ss
- 132 · The Frog Prince · ss
- 138 · Season of Mists · ss
- 146 · Great Possibilities · ss
- 154 · Without Benefit of Galsworthy · ss New Yorker Mar 11 39
- 159 · The Devil, George, and Rosie · ss The Devil and All, Nonesuch Press, 1934
- 178 · Ah, the University · ss New Yorker Jan 28 39
- 182 · Back for Christmas · ss New Yorker Oct 7 39
- 188 · Another American Tragedy · ss New Yorker Jun 1 40
- 195 · Collaboration · ss
- 202 · Midnight Blue · ss New Yorker Jan 22 38
- 208 · Gavin OLeary · ss, 1945
- 217 · If Youth Knew If Age Could · ss
- 228 · Thus I Refute Beelzy · ss Atlantic Monthly Oct 40
- 233 · Special Delivery · nv, 1941
- 249 · Rope Enough · ss New Yorker Nov 18 39
- 255 · Little Memento · ss New Yorker Sep 17 38
- 260 · Green Thoughts · ss Harpers May 31
- 275 · Romance Lingers, Adventure Lives · ss New Yorker Nov 13 37
- 279 · Bird of Prey · ss Presenting Moonshine, New York: Viking, 1941
- 287 · Variation on a Theme · ss London: Grayson, 1935
- 299 · Night! Youth! Paris! and the Moon! · ss New Yorker Jan 1 38
- 304 · The Steel Cat · ss Lilliput Feb 41
- 311 · Sleeping Beauty · ss Harpers Bazaar (UK) May 38
- 327 · Interpretation of a Dream · ss New Yorker May 5 51
- 333 · Mary · ss Harpers Bazaar May 39
- 346 · Hell Hath No Fury · ss The Devil and All, Nonesuch Press, 1934
- 352 · In the Cards · ss, 1951
- 358 · The Invisible Dove Dancer of Strathpheen Island · ss Presenting Moonshine, New York: Viking, 1941
- 365 · The Right Side · ss The Devil and All, Nonesuch Press, 1934
- 370 · Spring Fever · ss
- 378 · Youth from Vienna · ss
- 398 · The Possession of Angela Bradshaw · ss The Devil and All, Nonesuch Press, 1934
- 403 · Cancel All I Said · ss
- 415 · The Chaser · ss New Yorker Dec 28 40
Horror Plumd: An International Stephen King Bibliography and Guide 1960-2000 Michael R. Collings (Overlook Connection Press 1-892950-45-6, Jan 2003, $75.00, 547pp, hc, cover by Erik Wilson) Non-fiction, reference, a guide to Kings books, short fiction, short non-fiction, and poetry. The book bibliography includes plot summaries, secondary references, and lists of reprints and adaptations including film, audio, computer games, stage plays, TV, and videos. A casebound edition (-30-8, $95.00) is also available. Order from Overlook Connection Press, PO Box 526, Woodstock GA 30188; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.OverlookConnection.com]. [Stephen King]
Dark Angel: After the Dark Max Allan Collins (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45184-8, Jun 2003, $6.99, 258pp, pb, cover by Redseal) [Dark Angel] Novelization based on the SF television series. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Dark Angel: Skin Game Max Allan Collins (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-45183-X, Feb 2003, $6.99, 260pp, pb, cover by Redseal) [Dark Angel] Novelization based on the SF television series. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Darkest Heart Nancy A. Collins (SFBC #55853, Feb 2003, $9.99, 184pp, hc, cover by Thom Ang) [Sonja Blue] Reprint (White Wolf 2002) horror novel, the fifth featuring the vampire Sonja Blue. This has ISBN 0-7394-3216-8; it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Dead Roses for a Blue Lady Nancy A. Collins (White Wolf/Two Wolf Press 1-58846-844-5, Oct 2003, $13.99, 196pp, tp) [Sonja Blue] Reprint (Crossroads Press 2002) collection of eight stories, four original, featuring vampire hunter Sonja Blue.
- 6 · Knifepoint · ss *
- 24 · Cold Turkey · nv Crossroads Press: Holyoke, MA, 1992
- 54 · Tender Tigers · ss *
- 68 · Vampire King of the Goth Chicks · ss Cemetery Dance #28 98
- 82 · Variations on a Theme [Crow] · ss The Crow: Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams, ed. J. OBarr & Ed Kramer, Ballantine Del Rey, 1998
- 96 · Some Velvet Morning · nv Vampire Sextette, ed. Marvin Kaye, SFBC, 2000
- 132 · The Nonesuch Horror · na *
- 180 · Person(s) Unknown · ss *
Knuckles and Tales Nancy A. Collins (Biting Dog Publications 0-9729485-1-1, Sep 2003, $16.95, 267pp, tp, cover by J. K. Potter) Reprint (CD Publications 2001) collection of 15 Southern Gothic tales, five original. Illustrated by Bonnie Jacobs. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.bitingdogpress.com], or from Biting Dog Publications, PO Box 2739, Duluth GA 30096.
Midnight Blue Nancy A. Collins (SFBC #56168, Feb 2003, $14.99, 559pp, hc, cover by Thom Ang) [Sonja Blue] Reissue (White Wolf 1995) omnibus of three novels featuring the vampire Sonja Blue: Sunglasses After Dark (1989), In the Blood (1992), and Paint It Black (1995). This lacks a price and has a new SFBC number on the back jacket.
The Earthborn Paul Collins (Tor 0-765-30307-8, Apr 2003, $23.95, 240pp, hc, cover by Jon Foster) [Earthborn] SF novel. A boy raised in space crash-lands on an Earth returned to barbarism.
Gregor the Overlander Suzanne Collins (Scholastic Press 0-439-43536-6, Sep 2003, $16.95, 311pp, hc, cover by Daniel Craig) [Underland Chronicles] Young-adult fantasy novel. A boy and his little sister find a portal into a strange Underland beneath NYC.
Smallville: Buried Secrets Suzan Colón (Little, Brown 0-316-16848-3, Jun 2003, $5.99, 148pp, pb) [Smallville] Novelization based on the TV series about Superman as a teen. Copyrighted by DC Comics.
Smallville: Runaway Suzan Colón (Little, Brown 0-316-73476-4, Aug 2003, $5.99, 193pp, pb) [Smallville] Novelization based on the TV series about Superman as a teen. Copyrighted by DC Comics.
Goose of Hermogenes Ithell Colquhoun (Dufour/Peter Owen 0-7206-1177-6, Sep 2003, $19.95, 115pp, tp) Gothic fantasy/surreal novel, with a new foreword by Peter Owen and introduction by Eric Ratcliffe. This is the Peter Owen (2003) edition with Dufour stickers. First US edition (Peter Owen 1961). Order from Dufour Editions, PO Box 7, Chester Springs PA 19425-0007; 610-458-5005; [www.dufoureditions.com].