Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Tonguecat Peter Verhelst (Farrar Straus Giroux 0-374-27843-1, Jul 2003, $25.00, 335pp, hc, cover by Dean Nicastro) Fantasy/surreal novel. Prometheus leaves his mythic world and visits a city on the brink of chaos. Translated from the Dutch (Prometheus 1999 as Tongkat. Een verhalenbordeel, by Sherry Marx.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne (Bantam Classic 0-553-21252-4, Feb 2003, $5.99, 437pp, pb) [Nemo] Reissue (G.M. Smith 1873) classic SF novel; this is the 1962 translation by Anthony Bonner with introduction by Ray Bradbury. 42nd printing.
The Green Ray Jules Verne (Wildside Press 1-58715-509-5, Apr 2003, $35.00, 124pp, hc) Reprint (Sampson Low 1883) SF adventure novel, originally published in French as Le rayon vert (1882); the translator is uncredited. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928.
Journey Through the Impossible Jules Verne (Prometheus Books 1-59102-079-4, Jul 2003, $21.00, 180pp, hc) Associational play of a fantastic journey to the center of the Earth, under the ocean, and into space, incorporating characters such as Captain Nemo from Vernes novels. Translated by Edward Baxter from the 1882 French play Voyage à travers limpossible. Introduction by Jean-Michel Margot. Two 1882 reviews of the play are included. Prometheus Books, 59 John Glenn Dr., Amherst NY 14228-2197; orders 800-421-0351; [www.prometheusbooks.com].
The Mighty Orinoco Jules Verne (Wesleyan University Press 0-8195-6511-3, Feb 2003, $29.95, 424 + xvii, hc, cover by George Roux) SF/fantastic voyage novel. This is the first English-language translation of the French (1898 as Le superbe Orénoque) by Stanford L. Luce. Introduction by Walter James Miller. Order from Wesleyan University Press c/o University Press of New England, 23 S. Main St., Hanover NH 03755; 800-421-1561; [University.Press@Dartmouth.edu]; add $5.00 postage.
Blade Dancer S. L. Viehl (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45926-1, Aug 2003, $22.95, 314pp, hc, cover by Allen Douglas) [StarDoc] SF novel, a standalone set in the universe of the StarDoc series. A half-alien woman kicked off Earth sets out to become an assassin.
Blade Dancer S. L. Viehl (SFBC #01145, Sep 2003, $11.50, 314pp, hc, cover by Allen Douglas) [StarDoc] Reprint (Roc 2003) SF novel, a standalone set in the world of the StarDoc series. This is similar to the Roc edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Midnight Pearls Debbie Viguie (Simon Pulse 0-689-85557-5, Jun 2003, $5.99, 197pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Y. Craft) Young-adult fantasy novel, a twist on Hans Christian Andersens The Little Mermaid. Two merpeople make a deal with the Sea Witch in an effort to woo their land-borne loves.
The Summer Queen Joan D. Vinge (Tor 0-765-30446-5, May 2003, $17.95, 671pp, tp, cover by Michael Whelan) [Snow Queen] Reprint (Warner Questar 1991) SF novel, sequel to The Snow Queen.
The Peace War Vernor Vinge (Tor 0-765-30883-5, Dec 2003, $13.95, 304pp, tp, cover by Stephan Martiniere) [Bobbles] Reprint (Bluejay 1984) SF novel.
Jackaroo Cynthia Voigt (Simon Pulse 0-689-86435-3, Jul 2003, $5.99, 358pp, pb, cover by Jan Vermeer) [Kingdom] Reprint (Atheneum/Argo 1985) young-adult almost-fantasy medieval adventure novel, first in the Kingdom cycle set in an imaginary land.
Metropolis Thea von Harbou (Wildside Press 1-59224-979-5, 2002, $32.95, 232pp, tp) Reprint (Hutchinson 1927) novelization of the Fritz Lang film. The translation has been significantly edited and revised by Alan Rodgers. This is a print-on-demand edition, available online at [www.wildsidepress.com], or from Wildside Press, PO Box 301, Holicong PA 18928-0301.
Dreams of the Sea Élisabeth Vonarburg (Hades Publications/Tesseract Books 1-895836-96-4, Dec 2003, $17.95, 291pp, tp) [Tyranael] SF novel, the first book of five in the Tyranaël series. Earth colonists on the planet Tyranaël are almost wiped out by a mysterious blue Sea. Translated by Howard Scott and Vonarburg from the French Les Rêves de la Mer (Alire Canada 1996). A hardcover edition (-98-0, $24.95) was announced but not seen. Order from Hades Publications/Tesseract Books, PO Box 1714, Calgary Alberta Canada T2P 2L7; 403-254-0160; [www.hadespublications.com/tesseract].
Buffy, the Vampire Slayer/Angel: Seven Crows John Vornholt (Simon Pulse 0-689-86014-5, Jul 2003, $6.99, 278pp, hc) [Buffy, the Vampire Slayer; Angel] Novelization based on the television shows. Copyrighted by Twentieth Century Fox Film.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Genesis Force John Vornholt (Pocket 0-7434-6501-6, Jun 2003, $23.95, 309pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: Genesis Force John Vornholt (SFBC 58927, Aug 2003, $11.99, 309pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Star Trek, the Next Generation] Reprint (Pocket 2003) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures. This is similar to the Pocket edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek, the Next Generation: The Genesis Wave, Book Three John Vornholt (Pocket 0-7434-6383-8, Feb 2003, $6.99, 357pp, pb, cover by Dru Blair) [Star Trek, the Next Generation: Genesis Wave] Reprint (Pocket 2002) Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Troll Queen John Vornholt (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-85833-7, Jul 2003, $4.99, 195pp, tp, cover by Omar Rayyan) [Troll King] Young-adult fantasy novel. Ludicra gathers the trolls to rescue their new king, Rollo, from the Forbidden Forest, but they end up needing rescue themselves.
The Troll Treasure John Vornholt (Simon & Schuster/Aladdin 0-689-85834-5, Dec 2003, $4.99, 184pp, tp, cover by Omar Rayyan) [Troll King] Young-adult fantasy novel. An evil sorcerer demands lands from the new troll king.
Gods in Darkness Karl Edward Wagner (SFBC #56610, Apr 2003, $14.99, 520pp, hc, cover by Ken Kelly) [Kane] Reprint (Night Shade 2002) omnibus collection of three Kane novels: Bloodstone (1975), Dark Crusade (1976), and Darkness Weaves (1970, revised 1978). This is similar to the Night Shade edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Midnight Sun: The Collected Stories and Poetry of Kane Karl Edward Wagner (Night Shade Books 1-892389-51-7, Sep 2003, $35.00, 439pp, hc, cover by Ken Kelly) [Kane] Collection of 16 stories, two poems, a novel fragment, and an essay about Wagners dark fantasy hero. Introduction by Stephen Jones. A slipcased limited edition (-52-5, $75.00) is sold out. Night Shade Books, 3623 SW Baird St., Portland OR 97219; 503-452-0761; [firstname.lastname@example.org]; [www.nightshadebooks.com].
- · Death Angels Shadow · pm Midnight Sun #1 74
- · Undertow · nv Whispers Aug 77
- · Two Suns Setting · nv Fantastic May 76
- · The Dark Muse · nv Midnight Sun #2 75
- · Sing a Last Song of Valdese · ss Chacal Win 76
- · Misericorde · nv Sorcerers Apprentice #17 83
- · Lynortis Reprise · nv Midnight Sun #1 74
- · Ravens Eyrie · na Chacal Spr 77
- · In the Lair of Yslsl · ss Midnight Sun #1 74
- · Reflections for the Winter of My Soul · na Death Angels Shadow, Warner Books, 1973
- · Cold Light · na Death Angels Shadow, Warner Books, 1973
- · Mirage · nv Death Angels Shadow, Warner Books, 1973
- · The Other One · ss Escape! Fll 77
- · The Gothic Touch · ss Elric: Tales of the White Wolf, ed. Edward E. Cramer, White Wolf, 1994
- · Midnight Sun · pm Midnight Sun #1 74
- · Lacunae · ss Cutting Edge, ed. Dennis Etchison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1986
- · Deep in the Depths of the Acme Warehouse · ss The King Is Dead, ed. Paul M. Sammon, Delta, 1994
- · At First Just Ghostly · na Weird Tales Fll 89
- · The Treasure of Lynortis · na Kadath Fll 84
- · In the Wake of the Night · ex A Fantasy Reader, ed. Jeff Frane & Jack Rems, 1981
- · The Once and Future Kane · ar REH: Lone Star Fictioneer #1 75
Circle of Stones Anna Lee Waldo (St. Martins 0-312-97061-7, Oct 2003, $6.99, 498pp, pb, cover by Kinuko Craft) [Druid Circle] Reissue (St. Martins 1999) historical novel with minor fantasy elements, first in The Druid Circle about the Welsh discovery of America three centuries before Columbus. Second printing.
A Better Worlds in Birth! Howard Waldrop (Golden Gryphon Press, Jun 2003, $15.95, 50pp, ph, cover by Nicholas Jainschigg) Chapbook alternate history novelette. In 1876, the seeming ghosts of long-dead revolutionaries Friedrich Engels, Karl Marx, and Richard Wagner are haunting Communist Europe. Waldrop provides an afterword with the story behind the story. This is a signed, limited edition of 500. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com]. No shipping charge.
Custers Last Jump and Other Collaborations Howard Waldrop (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-13-4, Apr 2003, $24.95, 254 + x, hc, cover by Frank Kelly Freas) Collection of eight collaborative stories written by Howard Waldrop with Steven Utley, A.A. Jackson IV, George R.R. Martin, Buddy Saunders, Bruce Sterling, and Leigh Kennedy. Waldrop provides a foreword, introductions to the stories, and three essaylets on collaborating; his collaborators provide afterwords to their stories. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- ix · Foreword · fw
- 3 · One Horse Town · Leigh Kennedy & Howard Waldrop · nv Sci Fiction website Mar 14, 2001
- 42 · Custers Last Jump · Steven Utley & Howard Waldrop · nv Universe 6, ed. Terry Carr, Doubleday, 1976
- 80 · Nuts and Bolts and I · es *
- 83 · A Voice and Bitter Weeping · Buddy Saunders & Howard Waldrop · ss Galaxy Jul 73
- 102 · Men of Greywater Station · George R. R. Martin & Howard Waldrop · nv Amazing Mar 76
- 141 · Nuts and Bolts and II · es *
- 142 · Willow Beeman [Sic Transit...?, A Shaggy Hairless-Dog Story] · Steven Utley & Howard Waldrop · ss Stellar #2, ed. Judy-Lynn del Rey, Ballantine, 1976
- 153 · The Latter Days of the Law · Bruce Sterling & Howard Waldrop · nv *
- 190 · Nuts and Bolts and III · es *
- 192 · Suns Up! [Sun Up] · A. A. Jackson, IV & Howard Waldrop · ss Faster Than Light, ed. George Zebrowski & Jack Dann, Harper & Row, 1976
- 210 · Black as the Pit, from Pole to Pole · Steven Utley & Howard Waldrop · nv New Dimensions 7, ed. Robert Silverberg, Harper & Row, 1977
Dream Factories and Radio Pictures Howard Waldrop (Wheatland Press 0-9720547-4-X, Oct 2003, $19.95, 278 + viii, tp) Collection of media-related stories, one original, and an original essay split up and used as interstitial material. Waldrop provides a preface and new introductions to each story. This was previously published as an ebook in 2001. A print-on-demand book, available online at [www.wheatlandpress.com], or from Wheatland Press, PO Box 1818, Wilsonville OR 97070.
- vii · Preface · pr Dream Factories and Radio Pictures, ElectricStory.com, 2001
- 1 · Dream Factories: The Past
- 3 · Fin de Cyclé · nv Night of the Cooters, Ursus/Ziesing, 1990
- 47 · Flatfeet! · nv Asimovs Feb 96
- 71 · Occams Ducks · ss Omni Feb 95
- 89 · Der Untergang des Abendlandesmenschen · ss Chacal Win 76
- 103 · Save a Place in the Lifeboat for Me · ss Nickelodeon #2 76
- 127 · The Passing of the Western · ss Razored Saddles, ed. Joe R. Lansdale & Pat LoBrutto, Arlington Heights, IL: Dark Harvest, 1989
- 147 · The Effects of Alienation · ss Omni Jun 92
- 165 · All About Strange Monsters of the Recent Past · ss Shayol #4 80
- 175 · Dream Factories: The Future
- 177 · French Scenes · nv Synergy #2, ed. George Zebrowski, HBJ Harvest, 1988
- 197 · Heirs of the Perisphere · ss Playboy Jul 85
- 217 · A Summer Place, On the Beach, Beyond the Sea... · ar Dream Factories and Radio Pictures, ElectricStory.com, 2001
- 223 · Radio Pictures
- 225 · Hoovers Men · ss Omni Oct 88
- 237 · Mr. Goobers Show · ss Omni Online Mar 98
- 251 · Major Spacer in the 21st Century · nv Dream Factories and Radio Pictures, ElectricStory.com, 2001
Blood and Judgment Lars Walker (Baen 0-7434-7173-3, Dec 2003, $6.99, 311pp, pb, cover by Gary Ruddell) Fantasy novel. An actor gets transformed into Hamlet in a world where Shakespeares play is real.
The Watermelon King David Wallace (Houghton Mifflin 0-618-22138-7, Feb 2003, $23.00, 226pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel/fable. A man seeking information about his mothers past stumbles into a small Alabama towns Watermelon Festival an annual fertility rite.
Restless Rich Wallace (Viking 0-670-03605-6, Sep 2003, $15.99, 167pp, hc) Young-adult ghost novel. Herbies an athletic teen with a dead older brother keeping an eye on him.
Warhammer: The Mark of Damnation James Wallis (Games Workshop/Black Library 0-7434-4350-0, Mar 2003, $6.95, 287pp, tp, cover by Clint Langley) [Warhammer] Novelization based on the fantasy roleplaying game. Copyrighted by Games Workshop. First US edition (Black Library UK 2/03).
The Mabinogion Tetralogy Evangeline Walton (Overlook Press 1-58567-504-0, Dec 2003, $24.95, 719pp, tp, cover by John McKirdy Duncan) [Mabinogion] Reprint (Overlook Press 2002) omnibus of the four novels retelling the Celtic myths of The Mabinogion: Prince of Annwn (1974), The Children of Llyr (1971), The Song of Rhiannon (1972), and The Island of the Mighty (1936 as The Virgin and the Swine).
Tooth and Claw Jo Walton (Tor 0-765-30264-0, Nov 2003, $24.95, 253pp, hc, cover by Tristan Elwell) Fantasy novel in Victorian style, set in a world of dragons with churches, railroads, and country houses. Siblings fight after their father dies.
The Eerie Mr. Murphy Howard Wandrei (Fedogan & Bremer 1-878252-44-5, Jul 2003, $35.00, 425 + ix, hc, cover by Howard Wandrei) Collection of 29 stories, including 15 previously unpublished pieces. This is Volume II of The Collected Fantasy Tales of Howard Wandrei. Illustrated by Wandrei, with an additional 30-page gallery of his b&w drawings. Edited and with a preface and section introductions by D.H. Olson. A slipcased deluxe edition (-46-1, $105.00), with a companion chapbook of correspondence and diary entries, was announced but not seen. Available through Arkham House, PO Box 546, Sauk City WI 53583; [www.arkhamhouse.com].
- vii · Preface · D. H. Olson · pr
- · PART ONE
- 1 · Published Fiction · D. H. Olson · si
- 13 · The Eerie Mr. Murphy · ss Esquire Nov 37
- 23 · Vine Terror · nv Weird Tales Sep 34
- 46 · Time Haven [as by Howard W. Graham, Ph.D.] · ss Astounding Sep 34
- 61 · The Molester [as by Robert A. Garon] · nv Spicy Mystery Stories Dec 37
- 80 · The Persuader [as by Robert A. Garon] · ss Spicy Mystery Stories Jan 41
- 95 · Old Hokey [as by Robert A. Garon] · ss Speed Mystery Sep 43
- 106 · Danger: Quicksand [as by H. W. Guernsey] · ss Unknown Sep 39
- 120 · The Eyes of the Tiger [as by Robert A. Garon] · ss Spicy Mystery Stories Oct 37
- 135 · For Murderers Only [as by Robert A. Garon] · ss Spicy Mystery Stories Dec 36
- 148 · Guns of Maiden Hill · ss *; originally published in much different form as Guns of Eternal Day, Astounding Stories July 1934, as by Howard W. Graham, Ph.D.
- 161 · The African Trick [as by H. W. Guernsey] · ss Unknown Apr 40
- 179 · In the Dark [as by Robert A. Garon] · ss Spicy Mystery Stories Dec 40
- 195 · The Mind Marauder [as by Robert A. Garon] · nv Spicy Mystery Stories Oct 38
- 216 · The Road West [as by Robert A. Garon] · nv Speed Mystery Jan 45
- · PART TWO
- 241 · Juvenalia & Unpublished Fiction · D. H. Olson · si
- 250 · The Pen · vi The Minnesota Quarterly Win 26
- 252 · Effluvia · ss The Minnesota Quarterly Fll 30
- 260 · Trap of Atlas · ss *
- 272 · A Shape in the Sky · ss *
- 281 · The Mind Marauder (unpublished version) · ss *
- 295 · The Step Between · vi *
- 298 · What Happened to Rudolf · ss *
- 304 · Hounds in Scarlet · nv *
- 327 · The Valley of Doubt · ss *
- 344 · Diamondback · ss *
- 357 · The Great Imitator · ss *
- 361 · The Shadow · ss *
- 365 · Just Lean Back · ss *
- 371 · Measure of Infinity · nv *
- 392 · The Sleeper · vi *
- · PART THREE
- 395 · Art Gallery · pi
The Book of the Dun Cow Walter Wangerin (HarperSanFrancisco 0-06-057460-7, Sep 2003, $13.95, 241pp, tp, cover by Laura Beers) Reprint (Harper & Row 1978) fantasy novel.
Black Rust Chad Michael Ward (NBM 1-56163-363-1, Oct 2003, $18.95, unpaginated, tp, cover by Chad Michael Ward) Art book, a gothic-erotic collection of computer-altered photographs and drawings of the denizens of a strange, futuristic world. Afterword by Tim Bradstreet.
The Last World War Dayton Ward (Pocket Star 0-7434-5789-7, Sep 2003, $7.99, 484pp, pb) SF novel. A conflict between two alien species comes to Earth.
Gideons Dawn Michael D. Warden (Barbour Books 1-58660-725-1, Mar 2003, $14.99, 527pp, tp) [Pearlsong Refounding] Fantasy novel, the first volume of The Pearlsong Refounding. Texas grad student Gideon Dawning finds himself in a land controlled by magical languages of Creation and Destruction. A first novel. Barbour Publishing, PO Box 719, Uhrichsville OH 44683; [www.barbourbooks.com].
Uncle Andys James Warhola (Penguin/Putnam 0-399-23869-7, Apr 2003, $16.99, unpaginated, hc, cover by James Warhola) Associational semi-autobiographical childrens picture book of young James on a visit to his uncle, Andy Warhol.
Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter Galadriel Waters & Astre Mithrandir (Wizarding World Press 0-9723936-1-7, Sep 2003, $24.95, 414pp, tp) Reissue (Wizarding World Press 2002) non-fiction guide to the first four books in the series, examining the plot for mysteries and possible clues to future developments. [J. K. Rowling]
Dance with the Dragon E. F. Watkins (Amber Quill Press 1-59279-933-7, Apr 2003, $14.50, 221pp, tp, cover by Trace Edward Zaber) Vampire novel. A dangerous cult leader believes he is a vampire. Available online at [www.amberquill.com].
Miracle Visitors Ian Watson (Sterling Publishing/Gollancz 0-575-07503-1, Nov 2003, $14.95, 239pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) SF novel. First US edition (Gollancz 1978); this is the Gollancz 6/03 SF Collectors Edition with a sticker, distributed in the US by Sterling Publishing, 387 Park Ave. S., New York NY 10016-8810; 800-805-5489; [www.sterlingpub.com].
Mockymen Ian Watson (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-21-5, Oct 2003, $26.95, 324pp, hc, cover by Steve Montiglio) SF novel. Worldwide collapse is averted when aliens arrive, but they bring a drug that turns some humans into mindless dummies the aliens use as puppet bodies. Order from Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
The Dragon Society Lawrence Watt-Evans (Tor 0-765-34054-2, Mar 2003, $6.99, 468pp, pb, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Obsidian Chronicles] Reprint (Tor 2001) fantasy novel, sequel to Dragon Weather.
Dragon Venom Lawrence Watt-Evans (Tor 0-765-30279-9, Oct 2003, $25.95, 416pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Obsidian Chronicles] Fantasy novel. Third in the Obsidian Chronicles series begun in Dragon Weather.
Dragon Venom Lawrence Watt-Evans (SFBC #60772, Nov 2003, $12.99, 416pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) [Obsidian Chronicles] Reprint (Tor 2003) fantasy novel. Third in the Obsidian Chronicles series begun in Dragon Weather. This is similar to the Tor edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Ithanalins Restoration Lawrence Watt-Evans (Tor 0-765-34055-0, Oct 2003, $6.99, 264pp, pb, cover by Daniel Horne) [Ethshar] Reprint (Tor 2002) fantasy novel in the Ethshar series.
Patriots in Arms Ben Weaver (HarperCollins/Eos 0-06-000626-9, Sep 2003, $6.99, 286pp, pb) [Brothers in Arms] Military SF novel, third in the series begun in Brothers in Arms featuring Scott St. Andrew.
Memory Boy Will Weaver (HarperTrophy 0-06-440854-X, Mar 2003, $5.99, 230pp, pb) Reprint (HarperCollins 2001, not seen) young-adult near-future post-holocaust SF novel. A family flees the violence in Minneapolis after a chain of volcanic explosions leaves food and fuel scarce.
Empire from the Ashes David Weber (Baen 0-7434-3593-1, Mar 2003, $25.00, 774pp, hc, cover by David Mattingly) [Mutineers Moon] Omnibus of three novels in a series: Mutineers Moon (1991), The Armageddon Inheritance (1993), and Heirs of Empire (1996).
- 1 · Mutineers Moon · n. New York: Baen, 1991
- 205 · The Armageddon Inheritance · n. New York: Baen, 1993
- 425 · Heirs of Empire · n. New York: Baen, 1996