Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Roger Zelaznys The Dawn of Amber John Gregory Betancourt (ibooks 0-7434-7470-8, Jul 2003, $6.99, 299pp, pb, cover by Scott Grimando) [Dawn of Amber] Reprint (ibooks 2002) fantasy novel, the first in a new trilogy based on Zelaznys Amber books. Copyrighted by Amber Ltd. Co. & ibooks.
Roger Zelaznys The Dawn of Amber: Chaos and Amber John Gregory Betancourt (ibooks 0-7434-7494-5, Sep 2003, $22.95, 318pp, hc, cover by Scott Grimando) [Dawn of Amber] Fantasy novel, the second in a trilogy based on Zelaznys Amber books. Copyrighted by Amber Ltd.
Roger Zelaznys The Dawn of Amber: Chaos and Amber John Gregory Betancourt (SFBC #03963, Oct 2003, $11.99, 318pp, hc, cover by Scott Grimando) [Dawn of Amber] Reprint (ibooks 2003) fantasy novel, the second in a trilogy based on Zelaznys Amber books. Copyrighted by Amber Ltd. Co. This is similar to the ibooks edition, except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Star Trek: The Lost Era: 2336: Well of Souls Ilsa J. Bick (Pocket 0-7434-6375-7, Nov 2003, $6.99, 468pp, pb) [Star Trek: Lost Era] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
Graphic Classics, Volume Six: Ambrose Bierce Ambrose Bierce (Eureka Productions 0-9712464-6-7, Jun 2003, $9.95, 144pp, tp, cover by Anton Emdin) Illustrated anthology/graphic novel with 41 illustrated or comic-style adaptations of works by Bierce, including 29 short fables; many are horror, but most non-supernatural. Introduction by S.T. Joshi. Artists include Rick Geary, Shary Flenniken, and Gahan Wilson. There is a fictional cartoon biography by Mort Castle, illustrated by Dan Burr. Eureka Productions, 8778 Oak Grove Road, Mount Horeb WI 53572; [www.graphicclassics.com].
- 2 · Compromise with a Camel · Ambrose Bierce · ct *; illus. Mark Dancey
- 5 · Introduction · S. T. Joshi · in
- 7 · The Disappearance of Ambrose Bierce · Mort Castle · gs *; illus. Dan Burr
- 11 · An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge · Ambrose Bierce & John Coulthart, adapt. · gs *; illus. John Coulthart
- 22 · The Race at Left Bower · Ambrose Bierce & Frank Cammuso, adapt. · gs *; illus. Frank Cammuso
- 27 · selections from The Devils Dictionary · Ambrose Bierce · ex; illus. Leslie Murray
- 34 · An Imperfect Conflagration · Ambrose Bierce & Rick Geary, adapt. · gs *; illus. Rick Geary
- 45 · The Stranger · Ambrose Bierce · ss Cosmopolitan Feb 09; illus. Mark A. Nelson
- 52 · One Summer Night · Ambrose Bierce & Francesca Ghermandi, adapt. · gs *; illus. Francesca Ghermandi
- 56 · Moxons Master · Ambrose Bierce & Tom Pomplun, ed. · ss San Francisco Examiner Apr 16, 1899; illus. Stanley W. Shaw
- 66 · Bierces Fables
- 67 · The Man Who Cried Wolf! · Ambrose Bierce & Shary Flenniken, adapt. · gs *; illus. Shary Flenniken
- 68 · Unity · Ambrose Bierce & Antonella Caputo, adapt. · gs *; illus. Nick Miller
- 70 · A Dogs Bequest · Ambrose Bierce & Neale Blanden, adapt. · gs *; illus. Neale Blanden
- 71 · A Hasty Settlement · Ambrose Bierce & Neale Blanden, adapt. · gs *; illus. Neale Blanden
- 72 · Professional Courtesy · Ambrose Bierce & Jackie Smith, adapt. · gs *; illus. Jackie Smith
- 74 · Father and Son · Ambrose Bierce & Ted Richards, adapt. · gs *; illus. Ted Richards
- 75 · The Overlooked Factor · Ambrose Bierce & Florence Cestac, adapt. · gs *; illus. Florence Cestac
- 76 · The Spider and the Fly · Ambrose Bierce & Evert Geradts, adapt. · gs *; illus. Evert Geradts
- 78 · The Deceased and His Heirs · Ambrose Bierce & P. S. Mueller, adapt. · gs *; illus. P. S. Mueller
- 79 · The Disinterested Arbiter · Ambrose Bierce & George Sellas, adapt. · gs *; illus. George Sellas
- 80 · The Philosophers Folly · Ambrose Bierce & Dan ONeill, adapt. · gs *; illus. Dan ONeill
- 81 · Arma Virumque · Ambrose Bierce & Skip Williamson, adapt. · gs *; illus. Skip Williamson
- 82 · The Conservative Employer · Ambrose Bierce & Mike Konopacki, adapt. · gs *; illus. Mike Konopacki
- 83 · The Crimson Candle · Ambrose Bierce & Valentina Campagni, adapt. · gs *; illus. Valentina Campagni
- 84 · The Secret of Happiness · Ambrose Bierce & Lance Tooks, adapt. · gs *; illus. Lance Tooks
- 86 · Political Economy · Ambrose Bierce & Andy Ewen, adapt. · gs *; illus. Andy Ewen
- 87 · The Policeman and the Citizen · Ambrose Bierce & Simon Gane, adapt. · gs *; illus. Simon Gane
- 88 · The Tail of the Sphinx · Ambrose Bierce & Devon Devereaux, adapt. · gs *; illus. Devon Devereaux
- 90 · Justice · Ambrose Bierce & Frank Stack, adapt. · gs *; illus. Frank Stack
- 92 · Bullet and Bone · Ambrose Bierce & Michael Kupperman, adapt. · gs *; illus. Michael Kupperman
- 93 · Docilitys Reward · Ambrose Bierce & Chad Carpenter, adapt. · gs *; illus. Chad Carpenter
- 94 · The Hare and the Tortoise · Ambrose Bierce & Todd Lovering, adapt. · gs *; illus. Todd Lovering
- 96 · King Log and King Stork · Ambrose Bierce & William L. Brown, adapt. · gs *; illus. William L. Brown
- 97 · Consolation · Ambrose Bierce & Lesley Reppeteaux, adapt. · gs *; illus. Lesley Reppeteaux
- 98 · The Man and the Wart · Ambrose Bierce & Anton Emdin, adapt. · gs *; illus. Anton Emdin
- 100 · A Deathbed Repentance · Ambrose Bierce & Lisa K. Weber, adapt. · gs *; illus. Lisa K. Weber
- 101 · Another Dogs Bequest · Ambrose Bierce & Johnny Ryan, adapt. · gs *; illus. Johnny Ryan
- 102 · Dame Fortune and the Traveler · Ambrose Bierce & J. B. Bonivert, adapt. · gs *; illus. J. B. Bonivert
- 103 · The Boarded Window · Ambrose Bierce & Gahan Wilson, adapt. · gs *; illus. Gahan Wilson
- 113 · The Hypnotist [John Bolger, Hypnotist] · Ambrose Bierce · ss San Francisco Examiner Sep 10, 1893; illus. Michael Slack
- 119 · Oil of Dog · Ambrose Bierce · ss Oakland Daily Evening Tribune Oct 11, 1890; illus. Annie Owens
- 128 · Curried Cow · Ambrose Bierce & Milton Knight, adapt. · gs *; illus. Milton Knight
- 138 · About the Artists & Writers · Misc. · bg
Shadows of Blue & Gray Ambrose Bierce (Tor/Forge 0-765-30245-4, Feb 2003, $13.95, 284pp, tp) Reprint (Neale Publishing 1909-1912 as part of The Collected Works of Ambrose Bierce, volumes 1-12) collection of 26 stories, 11 at least borderline supernatural, and nine non-fiction pieces, from the Civil War period.
The Eye of the Stone Tom Birdseye (Penguin/Puffin 0-14-230246-5, Feb 2003, $5.99, 163pp, tp, cover by Robert Papp) Reprint (Holiday House 2000) young-adult fantasy novel.
The Black Jewels Trilogy Anne Bishop (Penguin/Roc 0-451-52901-4, Dec 2003, $18.00, 1204 + xii, tp, cover by Patrick Jones) [Black Jewels] Omnibus of three fantasy novels: Daughter of the Blood (1998), Heir to the Shadows (1999), and Queen of the Darkness (2000).
- ix · Introduction · in
- xi · Jewels · ms
- xii · Blood Heirarchy/Castes · ms
- 1 · Daughter of the Blood · n. Roc, 1998
- 377 · Heir to the Shadows · n. Roc, 1999
- 801 · Queen of the Darkness · n. Roc, 2000
The House of Gaian Anne Bishop (Penguin/Roc 0-451-45942-3, Oct 2003, $6.99, 420pp, pb, cover by Duane Myers) [Tir Alainn] Fantasy novel, third in the Tir Alainn trilogy. Humans, witches, and the Fae become uneasy allies in the battle against the Master Inquisitor.
Black Tide Rising, Volume One: Justin: Enter the Game Debbie Bishop (Angel Gate 0-9664737-3-6, May 2003, $7.95, 283pp, tp, cover by Andy Park) [Black Tide Rising] Novelization based on characters from the comic book Black Tide. Order from Angel Gate, 3111 W. Burbank Blvd., Suite 103, Burbank CA 91505; [www.angelgatepress.com].
The Etched City K. J. Bishop (Prime Books 1-894815-22-X, Feb 2003, $16.95, 332pp, tp, cover by K. J. Bishop) Decadent dark fantasy novel of the strange city of Ashamoil. A first novel. Prime Books, PO Box 36503, Canton OH 44735; [www.primebooks.net].
Brighten to Incandescence Michael Bishop (Golden Gryphon Press 1-930846-16-9, Jun 2003, $24.95, 295pp, hc, cover by Jamie Bishop) Collection of 17 previously uncollected stories. Introduction by Lucius Shepard. Bishop provides notes on the writing of the stories. Golden Gryphon Press, 3002 Perkins Road, Urbana IL 61802; [www.goldengryphon.com].
- xv · Introduction · Lucius Shepard · in *
- 3 · Thirteen Lies About Hummingbirds · ss Final Shadows, ed. Charles L. Grant, Doubleday Foundation, 1991
- 19 · The Unexpected Visit of a Reanimated Englishwoman [Mary Shelleys Stories and The Unexpected Visit of a Reanimated Englishwoman] · ss The New York Review of Science Fiction Aug 96 [Mary W. Shelley]
- 32 · Chihuahua Flats · ss Killing Me Softly, ed. Gardner Dozois, HarperPrism, 1995
- 46 · With a Little Help from Her Friends · nv F&SF Feb 84
- 68 · Were All in This Alone [as by Philip Lawson] · Michael Bishop & Paul Di Filippo · ss Interzone Nov/Dec, 2002
- 89 · Sequel on Skorpiós · ss Interzone Aug 98
- 93 · Murder on Lupozny Station · Michael Bishop & Gerald W. Page · nv F&SF Apr 81
- 134 · A Tapestry of Little Murders · ss F&SF Jun 71; slightly revised.
- 145 · O Happy Day · ss Rigel Fll 81
- 156 · Herding with the Hadrosaurs · ss The Ultimate Dinosaur, ed. Byron Preiss & Robert Silverberg, Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 172 · The Tigers of Hysteria Feed Only on Themselves · ss F&SF Jan 74; revised.
- 186 · Tithes of Mint and Rue · nv Strange Attraction, ed. Edward E. Kramer, Bereshith/ShadowLands Press, 2000
- 201 · Of Crystalline Labyrinths and the New Creation · nv Chrysalis 7, ed. Roy Torgeson, Zebra, 1980; revised.
- 216 · Simply Indispensible · nv Full Spectrum 5, ed. Jennifer Hersh, Tom Dupree & Janna Silverstein, Bantam Spectra, 1995
- 249 · Last Night Out · ss *
- 253 · The Procedure · ss Science Fiction Age Jul 96; slightly revised.
- 268 · Help Me, Rondo · ss J.K. Potters Embrace the Mutation, ed. William Schafer & Bill Sheehan, Subterranean Press, 2002
- 284 · A Lingering Incandescence: Notes About the Stories · aw *
Terminator 2: The New John Connor Chronicles, Book Three: Times of Trouble Russell Blackford (ibooks 0-7434-7483-X, Sep 2003, $6.99, 377pp, pb) [Terminator] Novelization based on the world of the movie. Copyrighted by StudioCanal Image SA.
Terminator 2: The New John Connor Chronicles, Book Two: An Evil Hour Russell Blackford (ibooks 0-7434-5863-X, May 2003, $7.99, 368pp, pb) [Terminator] Novelization based on the world of the movie. Copyrighted by StudioCanal Image SA.
The Lost Valley and Other Stories Algernon Blackwood (Stark House 0-9667848-6-3, Aug 2003, $17.95, 207pp, tp, cover by Campbell Shepard) Reprint (Eveleigh Nash 1910) collection of 10 stories of magic and mystery. Introduction by Simon Clark. Order from Griffin Skye, 1945 P Street, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-8768; [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Pans Garden Algernon Blackwood (Stark House 0-9667848-5-5, May 2003, $17.95, 233pp, tp, cover by Campbell Shepard) Reprint (Macmillan 1912) collection of 15 nature stories, many supernatural. Introduction by Mike Ashley. Order from Griffin Skye, 1945 P Street, Eureka CA 95501; 707-444-8768; [email@example.com].
The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation Mary Blair & John Canemaker (Disney Editions 0-7868-5391-3, Oct 2003, $40.00, 110pp, hc) Art book outlining the career of Mary Blair, an artist whose designs influenced Disney films including Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan. Text by John Canemaker. Foreword by Roy E. Disney.
13 Phantasms and Other Stories James P. Blaylock (Ace 0-441-01014-8, Apr 2003, $14.00, 356 + xii, tp, cover by Greg Spalenka) Reprint (Edgewood Press 2000) collection of 16 stories, with an introduction by the author.
In for a Penny James P. Blaylock (Subterranean Press 1-931081-82-4, Aug 2003, $40.00, 182pp, hc, cover by Gnemo) Collection of seven stories, one original, and most previously published only online. There is an introduction by the author. This is a signed, limited edition of 750; a lettered edition of 52 ($150.00) is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
- 7 · Introduction · in
- 13 · The Other Side · nv Sci Fiction website Oct 18, 2000
- 41 · The War of the Worlds · nv Sci Fiction website May 24, 2000
- 63 · His Own Back Yard · nv Sci Fiction website Jul 11, 2001
- 91 · Home Before Dark · ss
- 103 · In for a Penny or The Man Who Believed in Himself · nv Sci Fiction website Feb 20, 2002
- 137 · Small Houses · ss Sci Fiction website Oct 10, 2001
- 153 · The Trismegistus Club · nv *
The Man in the Moon James P. Blaylock (Subterranean Press 1-931081-56-5, 2002, $40.00, 268pp, hc) Fantasy novel, an early version of the much-revised The Elvin Ship, plus an original story; Blaylock provides autobiographical notes on both pieces. Introduction by Tim Powers. This is dated 2002, but not seen until now. A signed, limited edition of 1,000; a lettered edition of 26 is also available.
The Devils in the Details James P. Blaylock & Tim Powers (Subterranean Press 1-931081-89-1, Oct 2003, $35.00, 115pp, hc, cover by Phil Parks) Original collection of three stories, one by each author, and one collaboration. Introduction by Powers; afterword by Blaylock. This is a signed, limited edition of 1250; a lettered edition of 52 ($175.00) is also available. Order from Subterranean Press, PO Box 190106, Burton MI 48519; [www.subterraneanpress.com].
The Hummingbird Wizard Meredith Blevins (Tor/Forge 0-765-30769-3, Sep 2003, $24.95, 400pp, hc, cover by Shasti OLeary Soudant) [Annie Szabo] Mystery with possible fantasy elements. Annie Szabo and her gypsy in-laws try to solve a friends murder.
In This World, or Another James Blish (Gale Group/Five Star 0-7862-5349-5, Jul 2003, $25.95, 413pp, hc, cover by Bob Eggleton) Collection of ten stories and one poem. This has a preface and introductions to five stories by Blish from Best SF Stories of James Blish (Faber & Faber 1965), with added comments on the remaining stories by his widow, Judith Lawrence Blish. Packaged and edited by Martin H. Greenberg & Ed Gorman. Order from Five Star, 295 Kennedy Memorial Drive, Waterville ME 04901; 800-223-1244; [www.galegroup.com/fivestar].
- 9 · Preface to Tomorrow · pr
- 13 · Citadel of Thought · ss Stirring Science Stories Feb 41
- 36 · Get Out of My Sky [Canis Venatici] · na Astounding Jan 57 (+1)
- 132 · Nor Iron Bars [combines Detour to the Stars Infinity Dec 56 and Nor Iron Bars Infinity Nov 57; Gordon Arpe] · nv Galactic Cluster, Signet, 1959
- 175 · A Work of Art [Art-Work] · nv Science Fiction Stories Jul 56
- 197 · The Oath · nv F&SF Oct 60
- 223 · A Dusk of Idols · nv Amazing Mar 61
- 254 · How Beautiful with Banners · ss Orbit 1, ed. Damon Knight, Berkley Medallion, 1966
- 268 · Testament of Andros · nv Future Jan 53
- 297 · Common Time · ss Science Fiction Quarterly Aug 53
- 326 · Surface Tension [Lavon] · na The Seedling Stars, James Blish, Gnome, 1956
- 411 · Scenario: The Edifice · pm Best Poems of 1975, ed. Anon., Pacific Books, 1976
Psycho Robert Bloch (ibooks 0-7434-5907-5, Jun 2003, $6.99, 223pp, pb) Reprint (Simon & Schuster 1959) associational classic psychological horror novel.
Psycho House Robert Bloch (ibooks 0-7434-7530-5, Nov 2003, $6.99, 217pp, pb) [Psycho] Reprint (Tor 1990) associational horror novel, third in the Psycho trilogy.
Psycho II Robert Bloch (ibooks 0-7434-7472-4, Sep 2003, $6.99, 317pp, pb) Reprint (Warner 1982) associational horror novel.
Nymph Francesca Lia Block (Circlet Press 1-885865-43-0, Jun 2003, $9.95, 124pp, tp, cover by Jaeda DeWalt) Reprint (Circlet Press 2000) collection of nine connected erotic stories, several with fantastic elements.
Wasteland Francesca Lia Block (HarperCollins/Cotler 0-06-028644-X, Oct 2003, $15.99, 150pp, hc, cover by Suza Scalora) Young-adult quasi-fantasy novel with a possible ghost and incest. A young woman cant cope with the death of the brother she loved too much.
Youre an Animal, Viskovitz! Alessandro Boffa (Random House/Vintage International 0-375-70483-3, Jun 2003, $12.00, 159pp, tp, cover by Roz Chast) Reprint (Knopf 2002) collection of 20 interrelated humorous tales whose narrator takes the form of various animals. Translated from the Italian (Edizioni Garzanti 1998 as Sei una bestia, Viskovitz) by John Casey with Maria Sanminiatelli.
Forgotten Realms: The Alabaster Staff Edward Bolme (Wizards of the Coast 0-7869-2962-6, Aug 2003, $6.99, 309pp, pb, cover by Mark Zug) [Forgotten Realms: Rogues] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, The Rogues #1. Copyrighted by Wizards of the Coast.
Star Trek: The Lost Era: 2360: Catalyst of Sorrows Margaret Wander Bonanno (Pocket 0-7434-6407-9, Jan 2004, $6.99, 334pp, pb) [Star Trek: Lost Era] Star Trek novelization. Copyrighted by Paramount Pictures.
The Dragon Queen Alice Borchardt (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44400-0, Jun 2003, $7.50, 500pp, pb, cover by Scott McKowen) Reprint (Del Rey 2001) Arthurian fantasy novel of Guinevere as a magical warrior queen.
The Raven Warrior Alice Borchardt (Ballantine Del Rey 0-345-44401-9, Jul 2003, $25.95, 470pp, hc, cover by Scott McKowen) [Tales of Guinevere] Fantasy novel, second in The Tales of Guinevere after The Dragon Queen. First US edition (Bantam UK 6/03).
The Raven Warrior Alice Borchardt (SFBC #58621, Jul 2003, $12.99, 441pp, hc, cover by Scott McKowen) [Tales of Guinevere] Reprint (Bantam Press UK 2003) fantasy novel, second in The Tales of Guinevere after The Dragon Queen. This is similar to the Del Rey US edition except it lacks a price and has the SFBC number on the back jacket.
Tunneling Beth Bosworth (Random House/Crown/Shaye Areheart 0-609-61103-8, Jul 2003, $22.00, 284pp, hc) Fantasy time-travel novel. A young woman time travels to assist Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, and other writers. A first novel.
World of Darkness: Vampire: The Madness of Priests Philippe Boulle (White Wolf 1-58846-829-1, Feb 2003, $6.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Christopher Shy) [World of Darkness: Vampire: Victorian Age Trilogy] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, second in the Victorian Age Trilogy.
World of Darkness: Vampire: The Wounded King Philippe Boulle (White Wolf 1-58846-858-5, Oct 2003, $6.99, 284pp, pb, cover by Christopher Shy) [World of Darkness: Vampire: Victorian Age Trilogy] Novelization based on the roleplaying game, third in the Victorian Age Trilogy. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
World of Darkness: Orpheus: Haunting the Dead ed. Philippe Boulle (White Wolf 1-58846-837-2, Sep 2003, $6.99, 288pp, pb, cover by Christopher Shy) [World of Darkness: Orpheus] Original anthology of four novellas based on the dark fantasy roleplaying game. Copyrighted by White Wolf.
The Rock Rats Ben Bova (Tor 0-812-57988-7, Jun 2003, $6.99, 384pp, pb, cover by Peter Bollinger) [Grand Tour: Asteroid Wars] Reprint (Hodder & Stoughton 2002) SF novel.
Saturn Ben Bova (Tor 0-312-87218-6, Jun 2003, $24.95, 412pp, hc, cover by John Harris) First US edition (Hodder & Stoughton 2/03).
Tales of the Grand Tour Ben Bova (Tor 0-765-30722-7, Jan 2004, $24.95, 382pp, hc, cover by John Harris) [Grand Tour] Collection of eight stories and four excerpts from novels in Bovas loose series about mankinds expansion through the solar system. Bovas introductions and afterword discuss the series and how the stories fit in.
- 9 · Introduction · in
- 21 · Sam and the Flying Dutchman [Sam Gunn] · nv Analog Jun, 2003
- 55 · Monster Slayer · ss Absolute Magnitude Fll, 2003
- 83 · Fifteen Miles [Kinsman] · ss F&SF May 67
- 99 · Muzhestvo [from Mars] · ex Bantam Spectra, 1992
- 113 · Red Sky at Morning [Return to Mars] · na Analog May 99; an excerpt from the novel Return to Mars, Avon Eos 1999.
- 189 · Greenhouse Chill · ss Analog Jan, 2000
- 209 · High Jump · ss Amazing Sum, 2000
- 231 · Death on Venus · na Analog Mar, 2000; adapted from the forthcoming novel Venus, Tor April 2000.
- 309 · The Man Who Hated Gravity · ss Analog Jul 89
- 325 · Appointment in Sinai · ss Analog Jun 96
- 349 · Sepulcher · nv Asimovs Nov 92
- 371 · Leviathan [from Jupiter] · ex London: Hodder & Stoughton, 2000
- 381 · Afterword: The Roads Ahead · aw