Next -- Table-of-Contents
The Locus Index to Science Fiction: 2003
Previous -- Table-of-Contents
Ophelias Revenge Rebecca Reisert (Hodder & Stoughton/Flame 0-340-77119-4, Jul 2003, £7.99, 520pp, tp, cover by Mark Harrison) Historical ghost novel, a revision of Hamlet casting Ophelia as the secret heroine.
Spiral Andy Remic (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-84149-147-0, Aug 2003, £5.99, 531pp, pb) [Spiral] SF thriller, first in a series. A secret organisation battles lone fanatics, rogue states, and a secretly invading alien army. A first novel.
Warhammer 40,000: Shadow Point Gordon Rennie (Black Library 1-84154-263-6, Mar 2003, £5.99, 287pp, pb, cover by Paul Dainton) [Warhammer 40,000] Novelization set in the world of the SF roleplaying game.
Absolution Gap Alastair Reynolds (Gollancz 0-575-07434-5, Nov 2003, £12.99, ix+565pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Inhibitor] SF novel. Last in the Inhibitor sequence after Revelation Space and Redemption Ark. A trade paperback (export only) edition (-07435-3, £10.99) was announced but not seen.
Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days Alastair Reynolds (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07526-0, Feb 2003, £6.99, 231pp, hc, cover by Chris Moore) [Inhibitor] Omnibus of two long novellas set in the Revelation Space universe, previously published as separate limited editions: Diamond Dogs (PS Publishing 2001) and Turquoise Days (Golden Gryphon Press 2002).
- 1 · Diamond Dogs · na PS Publishing, 2001
- 131 · Turquoise Days · na Golden Gryphon Press, 2002
Diamond Dogs, Turquoise Days Alastair Reynolds (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07516-3, Oct 2003, £5.99, 231pp, tp, cover by Richard Carr) [Inhibitor] Reprint (Gollancz 2003) omnibus of two long novellas set in the Revelation Space universe, previously published as separate limited editions: Diamond Dogs (2001) and Turquoise Days (2002).
Redemption Ark Alastair Reynolds (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07384-5, May 2003, £6.99, 646pp, tp, cover by Chris Moore) [Inhibitor] Reprint (Gollancz 2002) SF novel, sequel to Revelation Space.
Blackwood Farm: The Vampire Chronicles Anne Rice (Arrow 0-09-944672-3, Nov 2003, £6.99, 774pp, pb, cover by Andy Kingsbury) Reprint (Random House/Knopf 2002) dark fantasy novel. Book 11 in the series, and first of the crossover books with the Mayfair Witches series.
Blood Canticle: The Vampire Chronicles Anne Rice (Chatto & Windus 0-7011-7355-6, Nov 2003, £17.99, 306pp, hc) Dark fantasy novel. Volume 12 overall in The Vampire Chronicles series, and second of the crossover books with the Mayfair Witches series, after Blackwood Farm. Simultaneous with the US (Knopf) edition.
Interview with the Vampire Anne Rice (Time Warner UK 0-7088-6073-7, 2003, £6.99, 368pp, pb) [Vampire Chronicles] Reprint (Knopf 1976) horror novel. Book one of The Vampire Chronicles.
The Queen of the Damned Anne Rice (Time Warner UK 0-7088-6072-9, 2003, £6.99, 573pp, pb) [Vampire Chronicles] Reprint (Knopf 1988) horror novel. Book three of The Vampire Chronicles.
The Vampire Lestat Anne Rice (Time Warner UK 0-7088-3153-2, 2003, £6.99, 599pp, pb) [Vampire Chronicles] Reprint (Knopf 1985) horror novel. Book two of The Vampire Chronicles.
The Art of Faery David Riché (Paper Tiger 1-84340-095-2, Sep 2003, £20.00, 111pp, hc, cover by David Delamare) Heavily-ilustrated art book exampling the work of 21 contemporary artists. Foreword by Brian Froud. Text by Riché, with artwork captioned by the individual artists.
The Lamp of the Wicked Phil Rickman (Macmillan UK 0-333-90805-8, Apr 2003, £10.00, 549pp, hc) [Merrily Watkins] Dark fantasy novel. Fifth in the series featuring exorcist Merrily Watkins. A trade paperback edition (1-4050-3254-5) was announced but not seen.
The Lamp of the Wicked Phil Rickman (Macmillan/Pan 0-330-49032-X, Oct 2003, £6.99, 564pp, pb) [Merrily Watkins] Reprint (Macmillan UK 2003) dark fantasy novel. Fifth in the Merrily Watkins series.
The Wine of Angels Phil Rickman (Macmillan/Pan 0-330-34268-1, Oct 2003, £6.99, 629pp, pb) [Merrily Watkins] Reissue (Macmillan UK 1998) dark fantasy novel. First in the Merrily Watkins series. Seventh printing.
Glory in Death J. D. Robb (Piatkus 0-7499-3407-7, Sep 2003, £5.99, 330pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Berkley 1995) SF mystery novel, second in the Eve Dallas series of future police procedurals. Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts.
Immortal in Death J. D. Robb (Piatkus 0-7499-3408-5, Oct 2003, £5.99, 345pp, pb) [Eve Dallas] Reprint (Berkley 1996) SF mystery novel, third in the Eve Dallas series of future police procedurals. Robb is a pseudonym for Nora Roberts.
The Soddit A. R. R. R. Roberts (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07554-6, Oct 2003, £6.99, 343pp, hc) Humorous parody of The Hobbit. This is a pseudonym of Adam Roberts.
Jupiter Magnified Adam Roberts (PS Publishing 1-902880-57-9, Mar 2003, £25.00, 104pp, hc, cover by Edward Miller) SF novella about a poets reaction when huge Jupiter appears in Earths skies, including a collection of her poems. Introduction by James Lovegrove. This is a signed, limited edition of 400. A trade paperback edition of 500 (-8056-0, £8.00) is also available. PS Publishing, Hamilton House, 4 Park Avenue, Harrogate HG2 9BQ, UK; [www.pspublishing.co.uk].
On Adam Roberts (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07299-7, Mar 2003, £6.99, 387pp, pb, cover by Chris Moore) Reissue (Gollancz 2001) SF novel.
Polystom Adam Roberts (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07178-8, May 2003, £17.99, 294pp, hc, cover by Sonar) SF novel set in a universe where planets share a common atmosphere. A trade paperback edition (-07179-6, £9.99) was announced but not seen.
Stone Adam Roberts (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07396-9, Mar 2003, £6.99, 338pp, pb, cover by Sonar) Reprint (Gollancz 2002) SF novel.
Echorium Sequence: Dark Quetzal Katherine Roberts (Chicken House, The 1-9034-3467-X, Mar 2003, £5.99, 251pp, tp, cover by James Marsh) [Echorium Sequence] Young-adult fantasy, third in the Echorium Sequence. Illustrations by Chris Down.
The Seven Fabulous Wonders: The Amazon Temple Quest Katherine Roberts (CollinsVoyager 0-00-711280-7, Jan 2003, £5.99, 297pp, tp, cover by Andy Parker) [Seven Fabulous Wonders] Young-adult historical fantasy novel, the third in a series based on the seven ancient wonders of the world.
Spellfall Katherine Roberts (The Chicken House 0-4394-7220-2, Apr 2003, £5.99, 239pp, tp, cover by Paul Young) Reprint (The Chicken House 2000) young-adult fantasy novel.
The Mistressclass Michèle Roberts (Little, Brown UK 0-316-72550-1, Apr 2003, £10.99, 295pp, tp) Literary ghost novel.
The Years of Rice and Salt Kim Stanley Robinson (HarperCollins UK 0-00-651148-1, Feb 2003, £7.99, 772pp, pb, cover by Ruth Rowland) Reprint (HarperCollins UK 2002) alternate world SF novel, covering 700 years in a world where the Black Plague wiped out European civilization.
Natural History Justina Robson (Macmillan UK 0-333-90746-9, Apr 2003, £10.99, 330pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) [Natural History] SF novel. A hardcover edition (-90745-0, £16.99) is also available.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix J. K. Rowling (Bloomsbury 0-7475-5100-6, Jun 2003, £16.99, 766pp, hc, cover by Jason Cockcroft) [Harry Potter] Young-adult fantasy novel, fifth in the series. An adult edition (-6940-1, £16.99, cover by Michael Wildsmith) is also available. Simultaneous with the US (Scholastic/Levine) edition.
An Interview with J.K. Rowling J. K. Rowling & Lindsey Fraser (Egmont 1-4052-0052-9, Sep 2002, £2.99, 69pp, tp) Reprint (Mammoth 2000 as by Lindsey Fraser) YA non-fiction.
The Isle of Battle Sean Russell (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-84149-193-4, Apr 2003, £6.99, 562pp, pb, cover by David Wyatt) [Swans War] Reprint (HarperCollins/Eos 2002) fantasy novel. Book Two of The Swans War trilogy.
Unto Leviathan Richard Paul Russo (Orbit 1-84149-270-1, Nov 2003, £6.99, 442pp, pb, cover by Bruce Jenson) Reprint (Ace 2001 as Ship of Fools) SF novel. A generation starship that has forgotten both its origins and destination stumbles across an alien mystery. Winner of the 2002 Philip K. Dick Award.
Idlewild Nick Sagan (Transworld/Bantam UK 0-593-05190-4, Aug 2003, £10.00, 275pp, hc) [Idlewild] SF thriller. A genetic virus threatens to destroy the human race while ten children pursue a mystery in a virtual world. Simultaneous with the US (Putnam) edition. A first novel.
Varjak Paw SF Said (Transworld/Doubleday UK 0-385-60415-7, Jan 2003, £10.99, 256pp, hc) [Varjak Paw] Animal fantasy novel, illustrated by Dave McKean. A young cat must learn the secret martial arts of cats to survive in the dangerous city.
Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones R. A. Salvatore (Random House UK/Arrow 0-09-941057-5, Apr 2003, £6.99, 344pp, pb, cover by Steven D. Anderson) [Star Wars] Reprint (Century 2002) novelization of the second film in the first Star Wars trilogy.
Doctor Who Novellas: Frayed Tara Samms (Telos 1-903889-22-7, Nov 2003, £10.00, 134pp, hc) [Doctor Who] Novellazation based on the TV series. Foreword by Stephen Laws. A deluxe edition (-23-5, £25.00) with frontispiece by Chris Moore and signed by Samms, Laws and Moore is also available. Licensed by the BBC. Available from 61 Elgar Avenue, Tolworth, Surrey KT5 9JP.
The Others Javier García Sánchez (Dedalus 1-903517-12-5, Mar 2003, £7.99, 182pp, tp, cover by Willis Gray) Literary fantasy novel, translated by Margaret Jull Costa from the Spanish original Los otros (Ediciones B 1998).
A Time of Angels Patricia Schonstein (Transworld/Bantam UK 0-593-05176-9, Sep 2003, £14.99, 223pp, hc) Literary fantasy novel.
Thraxas at War Martin Scott (Time Warner UK/Orbit 1-84149-242-6, Jul 2003, £5.99, 268pp, pb, cover by Mark Thomas) [Thraxas] Humorous fantasy novel, book seven in the Thraxas series. Scott is the pseudonym of Martin Millar.
Limbo Andy Secombe (Macmillan/Tor UK 1-4050-0484-3, Mar 2003, £10.99, 277pp, tp, cover by Steve Stone) [Limbo] Humorous fantasy novel set in various versions of Brighton, history, and the land of Limbo. A first novel.
The Book of Dead Days Marcus Sedgwick (Orion Childrens Books 1-84255-217-1, Jul 2003, £8.99, 264pp, hc) [Book of Dead Days] Young-adult fantasy novel. An amateur inventor and conjuror has seven days to find the book that may save him from his pact with evil.
Dorian Will Self (Penguin UK 0-140-29056-7, Jun 2003, £7.99, 278pp, tp) [Dorian Gray] Reprint (Viking UK 2002) dark fantasy novel updating The Picture of Dorian Gray. A beautiful young mans soul is captured in an artistic installation.
Creatures of Clay and Other Stories of the Macabre Stephen Sennitt (Headpress/Diagonal 1-900486-25-3, May 2003, £7.99, 127pp, tp, cover by Sean Madden) Original collection of 30 horror stories, 12 reprints, and one poem. Illustrated by Sean Madden. Available from Headpress/Diagonal, 40 Rossall Avenue, Radcliffe, Manchester M26 1JD, UK; [www.headpress.com].
- v · Acknowledgements/Dedication · ms
- 7 · Creatures of Clay · ss
- 17 · Part of the Sequence · ss
- 30 · The Prisoners Tale · ss
- 34 · The Repeated Journey · ss Xenos, 1989
- 39 · A Wild Time · ss
- 42 · Xenos · ss Xenos, 1989
- 47 · Going Away · ss
- 58 · In the Doll-Drums · vi
- 60 · The Night Barge · ss
- 67 · In the Arena · ss Arcanum #1 90
- 72 · The Exquisite Corpse of a Multiple Personality · ss Taking God by the Horns, 1990
- 76 · The Little Death · ss Xenos, 1989
- 81 · The Music Room · vi
- 83 · The Crawling Seed · vi
- 86 · The New Continent · vi
- 88 · The Cult of the Obscene Deity · vi
- 90 · The Victim of Azathoyh · vi
- 93 · Beneath the Black Obelisk · vi Cthulhu Codex #12 97
- 97 · Dungeons of the Soul · ss
- 102 · Crawlspace · vi Xenos, 1989
- 105 · The Secret Place · vi Arcanum #1 90
- 106 · The Human Snail · vi Xenos, 1989
- 108 · The Sea Visit · vi Arcanum #1 90
- 110 · I Control You · vi
- 112 · Hair · vi Arcanum #1 90
- 114 · The Black Idol · ss Xenos, 1989
- 118 · Pulped Fruit · vi Arcanum #1 90
- 120 · The Fingers · vi Xenos, 1989
- 122 · The Black Pyramid · vi
- 124 · A Vampire · vi
- 126 · The Drowned Mermaid · pm Arcanum #1 90
Killers of the Dawn: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 9 Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-713781-8, Feb 2003, £3.99, 185pp, tp, cover by Tim Byrne) [Killers of the Dawn] Young-adult dark fantasy novel. Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
The Lake of Souls: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 10 Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-715919-6, Oct 2003, £3.99, 220pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) Young-adult horror novel. Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
Vampire Blood Trilogy Darren Shan (Collins 0-00-714374-5, Sep 2003, £9.99, 515pp, tp) [Darren Shan] Young-adult horror omnibus collecting the first three books in The Saga of Darren Shan: Cirque du Freak (2000), The Vampires Assistant (2000), Tunnels of Blood (2000). Shan is a pseudonym of Darren OShaughnessy.
- 5 · Cirque du Freak [Cirque du Freak: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 1] · n. London: Collins, 2000
- 187 · The Vampires Assistant [The Vampires Assistant: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 2] · n. London: Collins, 2000
- 353 · Tunnels of Blood [Tunnels of Blood: The Saga of Darren Shan: Book 3] · n. London: Collins, 2000
Bootleg Alex Shearer (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-330-41562-X, Jul 2003, £4.99, 345pp, tp) Young-adult satirical SF novelization about the outlawing of chocolate. Based on the 2002 BBC TV series.
The Speed of the Dark Alex Shearer (Macmillan Childrens Books 1-4050-2042-3, Apr 2003, £9.99, 280pp, hc, cover by Tom Sanderson) Young-adult fantasy novel. An obsessed scientist who dreamed of slowing down light disappears, leaving only a strange snow globe, and a manuscript.
The Stolen Alex Shearer (Macmillan Childrens Books 0-330-39892-X, Apr 2003, £4.99, 262pp, tp) Reprint (Macmillan Childrens Books 2002) young-adult fantasy novel.
Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus Mary Shelley (Penguin UK 0-14-143947-5, Jan 2003, £3.99, lxiv+273pp, tp, cover by Nicolai Abildgaard) [Frankenstein] Reprint (Lackington 1818) classic horror novel; the text follows the Colburn and Bentley 1831 edition. This is revised and updated from the Penguin UK 1985 edition with introduction and notes by Maurice Hindle, and added pieces by Byron and Polidori. A Penguin Classics edition.
- vii · Chronology · Maurice Hindle · bg
- vii · Introduction · Maurice Hindle · in
- li · Further Reading · Maurice Hindle · bi
- lviii · Note on the Text · Maurice Hindle · ar
- 1 · Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus [as by Anonymous] · n. London: Lackington, Hughes, Harding, Mavor & Jones, 1818
- 5 · Authors Introduction to the Standard Novels Edition (1831) · in, 1831
- 11 · Preface · P. B. Shelley · pr, 1818
- 227 · Appendix I: Select Collation of the Texts of 1831 and 1818 [ed Maurice Hindle] · Mary Shelley · ms; Variations in text from 1818 to 1831, and revisions made by P. B. Shelley at the ms. stage.; In earlier edition as Appendix A.
- 237 · Appendix II: A Fragment [A Fragment] · Lord Byron · ss Mazeppa, London: John Murray, 1819; In earlier edition as Appendix B.
- 243 · Untitled Story Introduction · Maurice Hindle · si
- 244 · Untitled letter · J. W. Polidori · lt Courier May 5, 1819
- 246 · Appendix III: The Vampyre: A Tale [The Vampyre as by Lord Byron] · John William Polidori, Dr. · ss The New Monthly Magazine Apr, 1819; In earlier edition as Appendix C.
- 266 · Notes · Maurice Hindle · ms
Floater Lucius Shepard (PS Publishing 1-902880-79-X, Sep 2003, £10.00, 154 + ix, tp, cover by Edward Miller) Dark fantasy/noir novel. A detectives eye problems may be a victims voodoo revenge. Introduction by Jeffrey Ford. This is a limited edition of 500, signed by Shepard; a hardcover edition of 400 (-80-3, £25.00) signed by Shepard and Ford, is also available. Available from Hamilton House, 4 Park Ave., Harrogate, HG2 9BQ. UK; [www.pspublishing.co.uk].
The Oxford Book of Fantasy Stories ed. Tom Shippey (Oxford University Press 0-19-280382-4, Jan 2003, £9.99, xxii+499pp, tp) Reissue (Oxford University Press 1994) anthology of 31 stories. Second printing.
The Oxford Book of Science Fiction Stories ed. Tom Shippey (Oxford University Press 0-19-280381-6, Jan 2003, £9.99, xxvi+587pp, tp) Reissue (Oxford University Press 1992) anthology of 30 stories tracing the development of SF.
Witchs Honour Jan Siegel (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-651282-8, Jan 2003, £6.99, i+312pp, pb, cover by John Howe) [Way of the Witch] Reprint (Voyager 2002) fantasy novel, third in the trilogy after Prosperos Children and The Dragon-Charmer. Siegel is a pseudonym of Amanda Hemingway.
The Longest Way Home Robert Silverberg (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07393-4, Jul 2003, £6.99, 262pp, pb, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Gollancz 2002) SF novel.
Roma Eterna Robert Silverberg (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07354-3, Aug 2003, £10.99, 384pp, tp, cover by Emma Wallace) [Roma Eterna] Reprint (Eos 2003) SF mosaic novel collecting 10 alternate-history stories set in a world where the Roman Empire did not fall. A hardcover edition (-07353-5, £16.99) is also available.
Son of Man Robert Silverberg (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07501-5, Mar 2003, £9.99, 192pp, tp, cover by Jim Burns) Reprint (Ballantine 1971) SF novel of a contemporary man transported to a far-future Earth. A Gollancz SF Collectors Edition.
Legends II ed. Robert Silverberg (HarperCollins/Voyager 0-00-715434-8, Sep 2003, £18.99, 645pp, hc, cover by Geoff Taylor) Original anthology of 11 short novels by noted fantasy authors writing in their popular series. Authors include Terry Brooks with a Shannara story, Orson Scott Card , Diana Gabaldon (Outlander), Tad Williams (Otherland), and Neil Gaiman (American Gods).
- 1 · Introduction · Robert Silverberg · in *
- 3 · Realm of the Elderlings · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 9 · Homecoming [Elderlings] · Robin Hobb · na *
- 75 · A Song of Ice and Fire · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 79 · The Sworn Sword [Song of Ice and Fire] · George R. R. Martin · na *
- 159 · Alvin Maker [Tales of Alvin Maker] · Robert Silverberg · is Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 163 · The Yazoo Queen [Alvin Maker] · Orson Scott Card · nv *
- 207 · Outlander · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 211 · Lord John and the Succubus [Outlander] · Diana Gabaldon · na *
- 291 · Majipoor · Robert Silverberg · is Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998; revised.
- 297 · The Book of Changes [Majipoor] · Robert Silverberg · na *
- 351 · Otherland · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 355 · The Happiest Dead Boy in the World [Otherland] · Tad Williams · na *
- 401 · Pern · Robert Silverberg · is Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998
- 407 · Beyond Between [Pern] · Anne McCaffrey · nv *
- 441 · The Riftwar [The Riftwar Saga] · Robert Silverberg · is Legends, ed. Robert Silverberg, Tor, 1998; revised.
- 447 · The Messenger [Riftwar] · Raymond E. Feist · nv *
- 489 · The Symphony of Ages · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 493 · Threshold [Symphony] · Elizabeth Haydon · na *
- 555 · American Gods · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 559 · The Monarch of the Glen [American Gods] · Neil Gaiman · nv *
- 603 · Shannara · Robert Silverberg · is *
- 607 · Indomitable [Shannara] · Terry Brooks · nv *
Ilium Dan Simmons (Orion/Gollancz 0-575-07260-1, Aug 2003, £10.99, 576pp, tp, cover by Larry Rostant) [Ilium] Reprint (Eos 2003) epic far-future SF novel set on Mars and Earth, in part a replay of the Trojan War. A hardcover edition (-07259-8, £17.99) is also available.